PDA

View Full Version : Girl Talk = Awesome

wmgaretjax
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
she?

christidis
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Man, I'm just listening to Night Ripper and I'm so excited that Girl Talk is going to be at Coachella. His show is going to be awesome, I'm going to dance the night away.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
i'm not big on the mash up scene. but his Clipse/Grizzly Bear track was awesome. I might check him out depending on conflicts.

matsuolost
01-22-2007, 11:59 AM
i am not missing girl talk
plus shes gonna be like one of the first acts im guessing

thekevingreene
01-22-2007, 11:59 AM
By she I'm certain you mean he. Nonetheless Girl Talk is fucking fantastic.

ikedajd
01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I just listened to some of his stuff on Myspace...now I'm jazzed for him...

...You should check out Mike Relm (listed right under Girl Talk on the poster) too...I saw him last fall and he's equally as awesome...(watch his youtube videos...half the experience of Mike Relm is his VJ skills...)

SometimesNJ
01-22-2007, 12:57 PM
girl talk is a dude

jackstraw94086
01-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Girl Talk is way way over-rated at this point.
People, he's a mash-up artist. His stuff is catchy but, Night Ripper is just creative cutting and pasting. He's Z-Trip with extreme ADD. He happens to do it better than a lot of people, but it's not his music. He's very good at what he does, but he's no genius.

Mike Relm is a great show, but I hope he's changed it up some. I've seen him twice in 2 years and it was almost the same exact show. Granted it's an entertaining show, but hopefully he's got new material. I helped set up for his show when he played Mighty in SF the thanksgiving before last and got to watch him warm-up. He's pretty frickin good. And he does it all with gear that just about anyone could get (assuming they could dish out for a pioneer DVJ).

outer space car
01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Hell yes I would *LOVE* watching a nerdy guy fuck around on a laptop for 30 minutes... maybe he'll play a rap song and a rock song at the same time? That would be SO COOL!!!

New_Paradigm
01-22-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm looking forward to Girl Talk a great deal. The two albums I have of his are fucking great. I hope he doesn't play early, he definitely deserves a night time slot...

Relm should definitely be playing some fresh stuff...

weezy f baby
02-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Still not looking forward to girl talk.

Penis
02-16-2012, 01:10 PM
buy his cd, play it really loud at a house party, and save your night time slots for somebody exciting...

Mugwog
02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
^ Yeah pretty much. At least the guy admits hes not a DJ and just wants to have a house party and get white wimmenz loose

hippityhip
02-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Feed the Animals is awesome. When I saw him at Coachella in 2009 it was a lot of fun! Couldn't stop dancing and the crowd was great! He's not a musical genius by any stretch just good solid fun music to dance to. He also doesn't come around to So Cal often so gotta catch this set for sure!

heyeric
02-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Tirl Galk

ods..
02-16-2012, 04:15 PM
First time I saw Girl Talk (2008?) I kinda felt like I was at a high school dance. Then he brought everyone on stage to dance around his sweaty ass.

Second time I saw Girl Talk for 5 minutes at Outside Lands. No thanks.

There's not gonna be a third time ha.

kreutz2112
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
My how much things change in five years.

nyarlathotoats
02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I've already seen him last year, so there is no need to this year, especially at a festival with so many conflicts.

heyeric
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
If you have dancin' moves, I can assure you that your not going to want to waste them on him.

manalive!
02-16-2012, 06:16 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg198/scaled.php?server=198&filename=failzp.jpg&res=medium

Bons222000
02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
If you have respect for musicians that take one verse from popular songs, put them together, and add a 4/4 beat underneath, doing the same fucking thing every single time, then I guess you might have respect for Girl Talk. I don't even consider him a musician.

I'll definitely pass. Not even worth a 3 pm set in the Sahara for me.

Sensuality
02-16-2012, 09:04 PM
How long ago was Girl Talk actually relevant? And for what reason?

zircona1
02-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Part of the fun of listening to Girl Talk (at least for me) is picking out the melodies, guitar riffs or drum samples from other popular songs. If there are no conflicts with this guy on Sunday, I'll see him.

D-BO.
02-17-2012, 07:48 AM
First time I saw Girl Talk (2008?) I kinda felt like I was at a high school dance. Then he brought everyone on stage to dance around his sweaty ass.

Second time I saw Girl Talk for 5 minutes at Outside Lands. No thanks.

that was the first year i saw him as well... i walked away as soon as the stage party broke out and they started throwing toilet paper everywhere

fibes
02-17-2012, 08:26 AM
^ Yeah pretty much. At least the guy admits hes not a DJ and just wants to have a house party and get white wimmenz loose

my girlfriend gets to pick 1 band a day to see, she picked jimmy cliff, awolnation and girltalk

cliff..amazing
awolnation..sigh
girl talk..doesn't sound so bad now based on that quote!

waterandcoffee
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
"gets" to pick?... i hope jimmy steals her from you

fibes
02-17-2012, 02:27 PM
"gets" to pick?... i hope jimmy steals her from you

haha i could have worded it better, we each pick 1 must see band per day, then try to agree on the rest..

Nealocus
02-17-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty excited to see him. Listened to him quite a bit during my freshmen and sophomore year of college, here's hoping he puts on a great show. His "style" of music; aka taking samples from established artists and jamming them together, is fine with me. I don't really get what the bitching is about. Here's my favorite song, love the MJ part at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLOAcMVmCiU

Ride a Tire!
02-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I tend to not speak much about Girl Talk, as I know his cred around here is lacking, but I always have fun bumpin' All Day full blast in my car, and am definitely looking forward to his set, pending conflicts.

Prelude
02-19-2012, 09:40 AM
ya guise gueeta insgrosso and girl tack. i wil b thar dancing so fast!!

rage patton
02-19-2012, 09:47 AM
I tend to not speak much about Girl Talk, as I know his cred around here is lacking, but I always have fun bumpin' All Day full blast in my car, and am definitely looking forward to his set, pending conflicts.

This. All Day is a party and live his is a blast. I will admit, I am sucker for dance parties on stage, inflatable couches/animals, and throwing toilet paper. The rest of you sound like you hate fun.

Bons222000
02-19-2012, 01:55 PM
I need the quality of music to at least be tolerable for me to have fun at a concert. Any 2-bit moron can bring people on stage to dance and throw toilet paper in the crowd. His music and what he represents are annoying and dumb.

I'm sure he'll draw a big crowd and those of you who like it will have a good time. He's one of the few acts on the lineup that I will be intentionally avoiding.

hippityhip
02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Any 2-bit moron can bring people on stage to dance and throw toilet paper in the crowd.

right... that's how he got a chance to perform at Coachella twice. Thanks for sharing.

rage patton
02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
I need the quality of music to at least be tolerable for me to have fun at a concert. Any 2-bit moron can bring people on stage to dance and throw toilet paper in the crowd. His music and what he represents are annoying and dumb.

I'm sure he'll draw a big crowd and those of you who like it will have a good time. He's one of the few acts on the lineup that I will be intentionally avoiding.

If you can't appreciate Radiohead's "Creep" being mashed with ODB's "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" then you are probably boring. Also, who hates throwing toilet paper around? C'mon.

Ride a Tire!
02-19-2012, 09:58 PM

His music is literally a mash up of all other music. So chances are, something you like is in there. It's fine if you don't like it, but to merely bring up the dancing on stage and toilet paper throwing isn't even touching the surface on what about his music you don't like. At least say what everyone else says and say "Any 2-bit moron can hit 'play' on his macbook."

Transitory
02-20-2012, 12:54 AM
His music is literally a mash up of all other music. So chances are, something you like is in there. It's fine if you don't like it, but to merely bring up the dancing on stage and toilet paper throwing isn't even touching the surface on what about his music you don't like. At least say what everyone else says and say "Any 2-bit moron can hit 'play' on his macbook."

The cool thing is that he uses a windows PC

NachoCat
02-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Guys everyone knows that a lot of music noobs and college kids like this guy. Therefore we must denounce his credibility and site the quality of equipment he uses and general musical integrity as valid reasons to avoid being seen having fun at this set.

Bons222000
02-20-2012, 07:56 PM

No I was directly responding to someone who brought up how fun he is because he brings people to dance on stage and throws paper in the crowd.

edit: it was the person directly before my last post

I've already addressed his music in a previous post in this thread...and by the way does someone really need to explain what makes his music bad? I've seen him before and yes wow he spun some stuff I like such as Radiohead and Daft Punk in there. I can listen to it on my ipod too.

Bons222000
02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
right... that's how he got a chance to perform at Coachella twice. Thanks for sharing.

So are you going to make this case for every musician who has ever played a music festival? Every musician who has ever played at Coachella makes quality music? They've never once booked an act you don't like?

Girl Talk is the equivalent of Wierd Al. Anybody can do what they do, they just happened to be the ones who somehow got popular first.

thanks for sharing.

hippityhip
02-20-2012, 09:18 PM
So are you going to make this case for every musician who has ever played a music festival? Every musician who has ever played at Coachella makes quality music? They've never once booked an act you don't like?

Girl Talk is the equivalent of Wierd Al. Anybody can do what they do, they just happened to be the ones who somehow got popular first.

thanks for sharing.

No I'm not. Coachella books acts that have some level of fame or talent. Of course they have booked acts I'm not fond of. I don't go on childish baseless rants like you do because I don't like a certain performer. By your logic you can say anyone can play basketball and be good enough to play in the NBA. Think before you make an ass of yourself.

grannock
02-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Ive seen around 200 electronic sets in the past few years and girk talk at camp bisco 9 is at the top of my shit list. Not only does he just push play, but his track selection reminds me a 16 year olds ipod from 2002.

Beware of this trash if you have taste in edm.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Ive seen around 200 electronic sets in the past few years and girk talk at camp bisco 9 is at the top of my shit list. Not only does he just push play, but his track selection reminds me a 16 year olds ipod from 2002.

I recently shared a similar opinion at my award-winning Sahara Tent thread:

http://stereogumbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/GirlTalk1.jpg

This is Girl Talk.

He is like listening to your teenage sister’s iPod except if your sister was even more of a weakling than she is now.

travelfan
02-25-2012, 08:10 AM
This. All Day is a party and live his is a blast. I will admit, I am sucker for dance parties on stage, inflatable couches/animals, and throwing toilet paper. The rest of you sound like you hate fun.

I share your sentiments.

GolfWang
02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
I have never seen Girl Talk live, however I've never been opposed to it. Seems like a fun time. If the schedule permits this year I'll check him out. Rage has the right idea.

Nealocus
02-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Mr. Bons222000, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

ods..
02-25-2012, 11:03 AM
If you can't appreciate Radiohead's "Creep" being mashed with ODB's "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" then you are probably boring.

Unless... you actually don't like mashups? The cheapest way to get a reaction from the crowd... play two songs they know at once.

"OH MY GOD I KNOW THIS SONG IS THIS MUSE AND JAY Z"

darkjustice
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
girl talk is not awesome

artisticcreator
02-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah Girl Talk!http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7009/6744192043_f2f0a8f62a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/6744192043/) Girl Talk (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/6744192043/) by AJVaughn.com (http://www.flickr.com/people/alanjvaughn/), on Flickr

involvelemons
02-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I have great taste in EDM. I would not put this guy on that list. He's a completely different story than the stuff I find on Boomkat or Dummy or RA or any of those other fine places for nerds to go get their UK Bass Post Dubstep Home Listening Funky Minimal whatever on.

I also have great taste in having fun, and not being a debbie downer when lame-looking people are also having fun around me. Therefore, I choose darkness. You can find me in the Girl Talk crowd. Sorryz.

Sensuality
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Faggots, all of you.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-25-2012, 01:43 PM
^^^ Hate crime

stinkbutt
02-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Am I the only one that is curious to see how wmgaretx would defend this thread's existence?

grannock
02-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I have never seen Girl Talk live, however I've never been opposed to it. Seems like a fun time. If the schedule permits this year I'll check him out. Rage has the right idea.

This is the opinion i had 2 years ago when i saw him. I was let down to say the least. If you dont really enjoy edm, but enjoy late 90's radio and goofy fistpumpcentric dancing, you may enjoy his set.

His production work is sadly more enjoyable than his live set.

Interwebz
02-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm not a big fan but was keen to see him a few years ago and have a boogie. Was kinda boring.
Willing to give him another chance if there's no one else on.

Chillzzz
02-25-2012, 03:11 PM
There has to be absolutely NOTHING going on for me to be a girl talk again. Not that it's that bad, I had fun when I saw him play but I just feel like if you seen it once you've seen it a millions times and there isn't anything unique about it, it's just a big party with beach balls and what not.

brogore
02-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Faggots, all of you.

Troll Much, Bro-ster??

ods..
02-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Am I the only one that is curious to see how wmgaretx would defend this thread's existence?

hahaha nooo. especially the title

brogore
02-25-2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxcCfqbazpg

Its a shame I missed them in 09. But that wont happend again!

Nealocus
02-25-2012, 09:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxcCfqbazpg

Its a shame I missed them in 09. But that wont happend again!

I'd bang the hippie Asian w/ the sparkly headband. Can't wait for Chella'

Womp Wobble
02-26-2012, 08:45 AM
...... Not only does he just push play, but his track selection reminds me a 16 year olds ipod from 2002.

lol. It seems like you either really hate him or really like him.

Its not very hard to take a few songs, that are in the same key or in a key relative to that, chop it up, little eq work, effects here and there. Not very impressing. Reminds me when I was 13 back in 1999 and I would mash up a bunch of relative samples on Acid Pro and call it my own work.

Madeon does matchups, but he's much better at it then girl talk. Check out the song pop culture.

guedita
02-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Impressive*

Mash ups*

mekanism
03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
when I first heard GT I thought it was like Mixmaster Mike without turntables and scratching! I want to see this guy try to throw down some vinyl and mix without clicking a computer key! Just another push n play DJ!

Sensuality
03-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Impressive*

Mash ups*

I enjoyed "matchup" thank you.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
the joke is that Girl Talk will have some of the deepest song selection in the Sahara this year

JoeCthulhu
03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
He may not be a musician, but he is an artist, and an impressive one at that, IMO.

It sounds like a lot of the complaints on this thread center around the crowd and his stage presence. I'm looking forward to experiencing the music, and really don't care about the his antics, so unless the croud is really annoying, which sounds may be the case, I'm expecting to have a great time at the set. Expecting a late time slot on Sunday. Hoping, I don't have any conflicts.

Royce_Gracie
03-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I saw him in 2007 in the Gobi (I think) when I was 22 and it was fucking fun!

Now I would imagine at 27 years old, I would be getting bumped around by a mob of 18 year shitheads who play his tracks at their high school house parties.

blueduck
03-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Cant wait to hear his set..

nechadi
03-06-2012, 08:28 AM
meh.

with_cheese
03-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I saw him in 2007 in the Gobi (I think) when I was 22 and it was fucking fun!

Now I would imagine at 27 years old, I would be getting bumped around by a mob of 18 year shitheads who play his tracks at their high school house parties.

The kids want to hear some sweet bro-step bass drops, not some dinosaur doing mashups of songs that came out before they were born.

Penguin
03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
This guy has some good mixes to listen to while driving or sitting around drinking some beers. But seriously guys, a night time slot? You have got to be high off of your ass. This guy's live show SUCKS BALLS. He does nothing live. He literally presses play on the mixes he has preset (basically playing one of his cd's), and dances around pretending to do stuff. He even mimics "scratching", but really, he is just moving his hands left and right, trying to look like he is doing something up there. This guy is a bum, and should not be at Coachella. Terrible.

with_cheese
03-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Oh, I'm sure he does a few filter sweeps every now and then.

hippityhip
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
He does nothing live. He literally presses play on the mixes he has preset (basically playing one of his cd's), and dances around pretending to do stuff. He even mimics "scratching", but really, he is just moving his hands left and right, trying to look like he is doing something up there. This guy is a bum, and should not be at Coachella. Terrible.

Wait are we still talking about Girl Talk or did this conversation change to Skrillex?

KelMitchellDreads
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Wait are we still talking about Girl Talk or did this conversation change to Skrillex?

*steve angello

Ride a Tire!
03-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Don't know if anyone's seen this, or if it's posted elsewhere: http://www.hulu.com/watch/275374/a-day-in-the-life-girl-talk

WhyTheLongFace
03-08-2012, 09:54 PM
He mixed Soulja Boy- Pretty Boy Swag with Aphex Twin- Windowlicker.

He is a GOD as far as I am concerned.

involvelemons
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I'd bang the hippie Asian w/ the sparkly headband. Can't wait for Chella'

"I'd totally bang that girl" -Every guy about most girls
"We know" -Everyone else

weezy f baby
03-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Mr. Bons222000, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Billy Madison FTW.

Do you guys like how I bumped a thread from 2007? #Relevant.

Bee_troots
03-15-2012, 04:52 PM
See girl talk
pretend its a big coachella wedding dance thing
dance silly drunk
????
profit

apachedino
03-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Will be my 5th time seeing him and I ALWAYS have a blast. Kinda wishing he was playing Friday night. He just. doesn't. stop. Never slows downa and near the end of the fest going all out for his set might wind me for someone elses. That, or I'll just chill out @ Dre.

spennyb
03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Pretty much the same; first time I saw him he put on a free show at my school which was tons of fun.

Second time at a tiny fest, stuck around for most of it but had a way better time at Donald Glaude.

gswhooper
03-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Any chance he drops a new mix/album in the next few weeks or by Week 1?

thefrush
03-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Any chance he drops a new mix/album in the next few weeks or by Week 1?

Highly doubtful.

CellarOwl
03-26-2012, 07:35 AM
He may not be a musician, but he is an artist, and an impressive one at that, IMO.

Sometimes I think about how fortunate I am to live in a culture where anyone can be an artist, but then I realize how bad most of it is and part of me throws up and dies a little.

mistakenstrangers
03-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Seriously, the most fun you'll have in the shortest amount of time, ever

kellyvo130
03-26-2012, 07:10 PM
i saw girltalk at coachella in 2009 and it was the most fun i've ever had. can't wait for this year! especially now that all day has come out.

Nikita
03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I also saw Girl Talk in 2009 and at first did not understand what the deal was....now I do and it is the MOST fun EVER! Yes, there is cheese involved. And yes, some of it's older than dirt, but I am older than dirt and LOVE his match ups! It's not for everyone- But I did a circle kick when I saw them on the bill and can't wait!!! He can just push play and I will be there dancing shamelessly and Loving it! Girl Talk + Coachella = All Time Awesome!!!

kellyvo130
03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
the best parts are when he plays the real old school shit and the younger people are like what the fuck is this and youre singing your heart out

blueduck
03-26-2012, 09:12 PM
http://youtu.be/Kk85OUIdg3g