PDA

View Full Version : Census 2010

marooko
03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Is it ho checking? Is the man just keeping tabs? Are they really looking to help? Does this contribute to that?

How do you feel about the Census?

I'm curious about the laws concerning this, anyone know about them? What happens if I don't fill it out? What if I fill it out, but leave parts blank? Why does my ethnicity matter? Is it just this one, or were they all heavily targeting the Latin community? They seem to really wanna know who is of Latin decent?

Discuss. Just curious how you all feel about this. Some questions are serious, some are not. I really am curious about the Latino questions if anyone remember the other ones. Ron, Tom?

juloxx
03-18-2010, 09:13 AM
http://www.80stees.com/images/products/King_of_The_Hill_Guns_Dont_Kill_People_The_Governm ent_Does-T-link.jpg

EkriirkE
03-18-2010, 09:23 AM
They need to know how many troops to send to your city when the corporations invade

hawkingvsreeve
03-18-2010, 09:42 AM
My friend Sam Seaborn can explain it to you.

8eXqwG3irZc

fatbastard
03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Does the census ask your weight?

lizng
03-18-2010, 09:49 AM
They ask for a phone number and if you don't answer all of the questions, they will call you or send an enumerator to your house. Apparently they can actually fine you if you refuse to submit it or give false answers; I don't know if they'll actually follow through.

I did notice they had a lot of choices for those of Latin descent, but they also had quite a few options for those from Asian countries. I hope they're just asking for demographic and statistic purposes, because it should have absolutely no bearing on congressional districts.

I'm also puzzled by them listing "negro" on there. Is it 1950?

amyzzz
03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I just got mine yesterday. I might fill it out on my break. We have 2 more people in our household since the last census.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I filled mine out and sent it. No big deal.

Hannahrain
03-18-2010, 09:58 AM
The glue on the flap of the Census 2010 envelope is particularly unpleasant in taste.

bluemamba
03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Does the census ask your weight?

im real close to sigging this. just because you're the one that said it.

marooko
03-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Just partially?

They had a lot of other options, but they ask specifically about Hispanics. Just thought it a bit odd.

amyzzz
03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I see that a lot on other questionnaires -- from the way they ask the questions, I figured some latino people consider themselves "white."

marooko
03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
See, I don't get that either. I'm not White. Where is my spot to mark?

Jayleigh
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
My favorite part was the question:

"Does this person sometimes live or stay somewhere else?"

-university campus
-in the military
-in a nursing home
-in jail or prison

.....Ha

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Just partially?

They had a lot of other options, but they ask specifically about Hispanics. Just thought it a bit odd.

maybe they want to know where to provide better spanish languages services. I'm not white and I marked it hispanic. No big deal.

though maybe they gave me a free pass because my wife is white.

BROKENDOLL
03-18-2010, 11:16 AM
My favorite part was the question:

"Does this person sometimes live or stay somewhere else?"

-university campus
-in the military
-in a nursing home
-in jail or prison

.....Ha
I laughed at that too. Several years ago it wasn't all that funny though...:rolleyes
I'm not sure how often they do this census thing, but apparently it must be important enough to warrant breaking the law if you don't do it. (Hm, maybe that's the reason the jail option was there this time?)

york707
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure how often they do this census thing

uh...

TomAz
03-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I learned in elementary school that it's once every 10 years.

BROKENDOLL
03-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I learned in elementary school that it's once every 10 years.
Weird. This is my first time.

TomAz
03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
well when you were in elementary school, it would have been written X years.

marooko
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
So you all just fill it out and continue on about your life?

JustSteve
03-19-2010, 10:34 AM
yup. no big deal.

york707
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM

yes.

M Sparks
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
if you don't answer all of the questions, they will call you or send an enumerator to your house.

I am going to be one. Need some cash. I will let everyone know if I see anything nefarious. But mainly, it's for distributing tax dollars and all that.

lizng
03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I am going to be one. Need some cash. I will let everyone know if I see anything nefarious. But mainly, it's for distributing tax dollars and all that.

Have you been officially hired already? I applied to be one and got a really high score on the test... I'm just waiting for them to call.

Pixiessp
03-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I was a quality control enumerator back in the 80's. Super easy and laid back job. Basically just collected census forms from my field team and looked them over for omissions.

Side note: My immediate supervisor went on to be a councilman or something related. He was the dumbest,laziest ass head I'd ever met. Just sayin'

lizng
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Meh! I just got a call from the census bureau offering me a position for up to 40 hours a week as an enumerator. The training is the week after Coachella and I'll still be in California. Fucking fucks, I was so looking forward to making easy extra money this summer... They said they would put me back in the system if anything comes available that involves training on a later date. If not, it looks like I'll be schlepping burgers at Applebees or some other crappy restaurant on the weekends.

PotVsKtl
04-12-2010, 01:15 PM

As opposed to what? Armed insurrection?

M Sparks
04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
So, funny thing about the government. I got hired on to do a smaller job for the census. I was in a crew of about 20. They looked at the workload and figured it would take 20 government workers about three weeks.

So they hire private citizens, a lot of whom need some extra money or were laid off from good jobs. People with a work ethic.

It took us 3 DAYS to finish. And not long days either. Like 4 or 5 hours.

Anyway, I'll be back for the next wave, the one that Liz is talking about. Hopefully that will take longer.