PDA

View Full Version : What cell phone provider do you use?

wmgaretjax
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm using an old broken iphone and I hate the AT&T coverage in the bay area. Trying to decide on a smartphone some time in the next few months as well as which provider to go with.

What provider do you use? What kinds of experiences have you had? Do you use 3G? Where do you live?

Help me out.

hawkingvsreeve
03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
I've got Verizon. I don't drop calls and I have service everywhere I go. I was irritated for a while that they wouldnt allow texts over 160 characters to go through their system, but they recently changed that and now break it up over two messages. ATT claims their 3G is faster in the commercials with the fat Wilson brother, but those tests were done in a lab and not in a city where thousands of other blowhards with their iphones are trying to play scrabble with each other.

A lot of people seem to like the android or whatever it is.

mountmccabe
03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a Droid on Verizon in Phoenix. The phone reception varies but is generally good. I get 3G most places in Phoenix that I'mn't on wireless. I'm going out of town this weekend and I'm interested in seeing what my cell/data coverage is like.

Also I love my Droid.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I've got Verizon. I don't drop calls and I have service everywhere I go. I was irritated for a while that they wouldnt allow texts over 160 characters to go through their system, but they recently changed that and now break it up over two messages. ATT claims their 3G is faster in the commercials with the fat Wilson brother, but those tests were done in a lab and not in a city where thousands of other blowhards with their iphones are trying to play scrabble with each other.

A lot of people seem to like the android or whatever it is.

whoa, thanks for the heads-up! glad to hear that changed. i know they would send over 160 character messages within the verizon network, but usually not outside the network.

i agree with verizon. i love it. i used to sell cell phones like ten years ago and back then verizon owned all the analog towers, which means they have really great service in more rural areas.

if you travel internationally, you will need to be sure you get a phone that can support those networks. at&t i think and t-mobile are on a network that allows you to travel with your phone internationally, but most verizon phones are not capable of working on an international network. i only had an issue with this once going to switzerland, and i just rented an international cell phone. but if you travel frequently, you may want to spring for one of the few phones they offer that works internationally.

tessalasset
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
whoa. i didn't know they changed the 160 character limit AND i didn't know that didn't apply if you texted someone else with verizon. that was my biggest beef with them. so hallelujah!

jared i LOVE verizon. never had any reception problems with them.

minogueCOMMAk
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I have Sprint, shit sucks.

hawkingvsreeve
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm blowing your minds right now with my text info. Let's send each other huge messages!

mountmccabe
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, B, I did not know that Verizon did not allow more than 160 characters. The app I use for texting will split them automatically by word but I had that disabled. Thanks for the heads up.

Still-ill
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
It's very region based. I have AT&T and I'm always the guy who seems to have service. I've heard lots of bad things about T-mobile... I have some friends who have a Droid and love it. Sounds like Verizon is your best bet.

PotVsKtl
03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Sprint works great for me all over the city but it breaks down the minute I approach the South Bay. I have a shitty old Instinct, you don't want one.

brando4n82
03-17-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm using an old broken iphone and I hate the AT&T coverage in the bay area. Trying to decide on a smartphone some time in the next few months as well as which provider to go with.

What provider do you use? What kinds of experiences have you had? Do you use 3G? Where do you live?

Help me out.

Hey man, I'm a Verizon guy. went down to the verizon store the other day to check out phones, and I was talking to one of the sales reps there. He said I should just wait a couple months and see what comes out. Apparently Google is coming out with their first phone next month, contracted by Verizon, and It may or may not have 4G capabilities. I know Verizon is coming out with 4G VERY soon, but may not be til the summer.

A newer, beefier version of the Droid is also coming out in about a month and a half. And Finally, the guy at verizon was telling me that ATT contract with Apple is up and probably wont be abnle to afford to renew it. And Verizon is considering of picking up that contract and bringing the iphone to Verizon customers....if they dont do that they are making their own iphone..since they are moving to the sms service or whatever this is..hope this helps

bleep
03-17-2010, 11:36 AM
VERIZON 4 LYFE.

hawkingvsreeve
03-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah I heard something about the iphone or an iphone 'light" coming to Verizon.

It may crash their network too, though. Who knows.

tessalasset
03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
sweet, brando!

TomAz
03-17-2010, 11:48 AM
So I read somewhere once (it may have been David Pogue's column, I don't remember) that quality cell phone service is a function of the quality of the network which in turn is a function of the density of towers, and then the old 'local' or regional cell phone companies did that the best, and that since Verizon has been going around buying up all the local/regional companies they wind up with the best network on the whole. My kids are on Verizon, younger daughter has a Droid and loves it.

I'm on T-mobile and it's really nice to have when traveling internationally, otherwise it's like ok whatever.

BlackSwan
03-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I've heard Verizon's coverage is better than AT&T's in the Bay Area.

OnlyNonStranger
03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm also in the market for a new phone. I live up here in Montana and there is zero AT&T coverage. As much as I love my iPhone, I'm opting to get something else. I've pretty much decided on the Palm Pre Plus through Verizon. I've read some things that I don't like about the Droid and I absolutely hate Blackberry. Though if what I've read here is true then I just might wait a month and get the new iPhone through Verizon.

mountmccabe
03-17-2010, 11:51 AM
I have a friend in the Bay area that recently bought an unlocked Nexus One and thus got a cheaper monthly contract from T-Mobile. I'll see ask he thinks of it thus far.

SoulDischarge
03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I've had T-Mobile for probably about 5 years now. I haven't really had any problems with it. I get coverage almost everywhere I've been except a few way out places while driving cross country. I just use it for calls and texting though.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
So I read somewhere once (it may have been David Pogue's column, I don't remember) that quality cell phone service is a function of the quality of the network which in turn is a function of the density of towers, and then the old 'local' or regional cell phone companies did that the best, and that since Verizon has been going around buying up all the local/regional companies they wind up with the best network on the whole.

this is pretty much what i was trying to say about verizon owning the analog towers. sprint used to own the digital towers, but that was ten years ago. back then, all the other companies had to rent from these two if they wanted to provide cell phone service, or at least that's what i was taught when i worked at radio shack. things might have changed, but great explanation tom.

lizng
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I've had t-mobile for 6 years and have never seen a reason to leave them. I haven't had any coverage issues or problems with dropped calls. I have a G1 and have gotten consistent 3g coverage, but I have yet to travel too far from Raleigh since I've had a smartphone so I can't vouch for their 3g service in other areas. I also have a fantastic rate with unlimited minutes, text and data that is far lower than what AT&T and Verizon offer.

paulb
03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I use Sprint and have had no issues whatsoever

indietron
03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I would definitely recommend Verizon. I have service pretty much everywhere I go. My gf has AT&T and her phone gets little to no service in places like mammoth, hawaii, or even coachella. I get fantastic service in those places though. I only use it for calling/texting so I have no idea how the 3G coverage is.

Also, them getting rid of the 160 character limit is such good news!

indietron
03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Also, Verizon has always treated me with great service. If a phone breaks they were quick to replace it and they always helped me find the best deals. That is just my experience though

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Also, Verizon has always treated me with great service. If a phone breaks they were quick to replace it and they always helped me find the best deals. That is just my experience though

i agree with this. i had the WORST service with t-mobile and sprint. i was fine with t-mobile until i had to deal with their customer service department. HORRIBLE. and they somehow got my line mixed up with a new customer's line, and i had to spend HOURS on the phone only for them to delete ALL my contacts. fuck t-mobile.

TomAz
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM

I have had occasion to have to call Verizon with billing questions/issues on my daughters' phones several times in the past few months and can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised with their courtesy, reasonableness, and efficiency.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM

I think the big idea that AT&T is trying to push is not necessarily that their 3G is faster, but that it allows you to talk on the phone AND surf the web at the same time, which supposedly other carriers don't have the ability to.

Why the fuck anyone would need to do that i have no idea.

I have Verizon and echo that it is great and I never have problems with it.

mountmccabe
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Sometimes you get bored when on hold. Or not on hold.

Also they have commercials pushing both the faster and the surf/turf bits.

djandrews25
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I have Sprint, shit sucks.

Ive had several different providers, and sprint was the best. Also, the palm pre is great.

rskapcat
03-17-2010, 01:33 PM
I have had no problems with Sprint. I have a Blackberry.

hawkingvsreeve
03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
On CNET today:

iPhone coming to Verizon (http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20001388-260.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0)

faxman75
03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Now that I have a droid, I don't care about an iphone. I did want an i-phone for a while though. I would never leave my droid.

Alchemy
03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm using a T-Mobile G1 phone, 3G in Manhattan. Everything usually works pretty fine, even though I don't always get 3G service in some of the nooks and crannies of the city. Definitely not in the subways, of course. The battery doesn't exactly drain at an alarming rate, but it drops to the red around nighttime if you had calls, watched videos, surfed the internet... Not fun, since nighttime is probably when I'm going to need my phone the most. I have a Fender MyTouch, but I haven't had a chance to switch over to it yet.

Cdubby
10-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Got a new phone and decided to post about it...

Upgraded from a Razor (circa 2005 edition) to a Droid X, now I'm addicted.

I use Verizon and I love the coverage in the Fresno area.

Aphxtwinin
10-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I have Sprint, have had service in Miami and Denver have never had a problem. Just upgraded to an Evo 4G and its fucking awesome. Verizon will be getting the iphone in January probably during CES

frazzles
10-09-2010, 01:46 AM
I have Sprint for the US. I never really had any problems with them or their service, ever. Then again, I had a phone that was cutting edge in 2003 or something--it could make calls, send text messages, and had like a .5 megapixel camera or some shit. All I needed it to do were the first 2.

Now I have an iPhone provided by SoftBank. I don't use it for much more than the same 2 things.

meowlouder
10-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Wow I'm surprised at how many of you guys have Sprint. I have Sprint also. The service is great, the phones that they offer... not so much.

jimmycrackcorn
10-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Mytouch 3g slide on Tmobile... happy with phone and service (live in the coachella valley) :thu

PrettyRagdoll
10-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Nexus One on T-Mobile n Sacramento and LA. The coverage is pretty solid, even when I'm making the commute between the two cities

bmack86
10-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I would definitely recommend Verizon. I have service pretty much everywhere I go. My gf has AT&T and her phone gets little to no service in places like mammoth, hawaii, or even coachella. I get fantastic service in those places though. I only use it for calling/texting so I have no idea how the 3G coverage is.

Also, them getting rid of the 160 character limit is such good news!

ATT should kick way up in Mammoth soon, if they haven't already. Apparently they bought up the local services there, which makes me happy because whenever I went home prior to that I'd never get service.

psychic friend
12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
so I have had verizon for years (i'm in Los Angeles). i have not yet upgraded to a smart phone because im too cheap to pay an additional $25 a month for internet. I just saw this today and am considering switching. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans.jsp

The thing that caught my eye is NO term commitment (so I could try it out and If I don't like it I can easily go back to verizon - which I am not currently in contract with). AND it's only $25 a month for UNLIMITED text, email, data, web + 300 talk minutes (i dont talk much on my phone, that would be fine.. and still only $40 a month for 1200 minutes which i would never ever come close to using).

I think they are on the sprint network. I used to have nextel/sprint for YEARS before I switched to verizon and never had a problem. I had only switched because their phones sucked.

If I do switch, what phone should I get? also listed on that link are a number of goodies to choose from.

I appreciate your input.

TheScenestar
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
so I have had verizon for years (i'm in Los Angeles). i have not yet upgraded to a smart phone because im too cheap to pay an additional $25 a month for internet. I just saw this today and am considering switching. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans.jsp

The thing that caught my eye is NO term commitment (so I could try it out and If I don't like it I can easily go back to verizon - which I am not currently in contract with). AND it's only $25 a month for UNLIMITED text, email, data, web + 300 talk minutes (i dont talk much on my phone, that would be fine.. and still only $40 a month for 1200 minutes which i would never ever come close to using).

I think they are on the sprint network. I used to have nextel/sprint for YEARS before I switched to verizon and never had a problem. I had only switched because their phones sucked.

If I do switch, what phone should I get? also listed on that link are a number of goodies to choose from.

I appreciate your input.

If they have an Android model, go for that one. I recently switched from having a RAZR phone for years till it finally died. I ended up getting a G1 Android & it's great! The free Apps are awesome & I'm hoping they make a Coachella app for 2011. I like it better than the new IPhone which the rest of my family have. The newest Android also has Face Time if you care about that jazz. If I see you, I'll let you play with it. Yes, you can get "Angry Birds" on it too. P.S. I'm T-Mobile but it's chip driven.

faxman75
01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I personally won't ever try sprint again. I have been with Verizon since 99'. Sprint had a great deal on a bunch of free phones and a cheap monthly plan so I jumped ship and left Verizon mid contract and signed up with Sprint. I never knew what dropped calls were before them. Well outside of being on the phone while driving through the mountains and dropping a call or two at least. My biggest issues with Sprint were the dropped calls, sound quality and customer service. They outsource their customer service. This apparently means those folks have a script and so do their superiors and not one of them was willing to do anything about my phone issues beyond saying "you are welcome to mail us the phone and we will take a look at it". Meanwhile they couldn't tell me how long it would take, what I should do in the meantime and their response to everything was "we'll credit you a day on the bill" which in their mind was a less than $2 credit.

Fortunately Verizon has some deal where if you come back to them within 90 days, they wave all early termination fees. That was pretty sweet because we terminated early and they wanted something like $600. Now whenever I have any type of problem at all they fix it, they are helpful, they often offer bill credits if they mess something up. Their customer service is above and beyond better than any other company I have to deal with regularly ie; directv, electric, cable company etc. etc.

I hear you about not wanting to pay a bunch for internet though. Good luck.

westcoastpirate
01-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I had Verizon and got reception everywhere except our home. Verizon sent a technician out and tested the network near our home. The technician determined it was an issue with Verizon so they let me cancel my new 2 year agreement about 60 days in and waived the early termination fee, and let me keep the new phone. So I switched to AT&T and got an iPhone. Now I get reception with AT&T at home, but it's shoddy at my work. So I'm screwed with either network.

I had Verizon for about 5 years before switching to AT&T. Early on, I had some questions about the text messaging charges on my bill so I called up customer service. I was raked through the coals, and had never been treated so bad on a customer service call just for asking questions about my bill. I wrote Verizon a letter, which somehow got to a senior manager at the call center. The manager called me up and apologized, gave me her personal number and said if I had any issues again to call her directly. So I just called her from then on with any questions or issues, and she would take care of it. Pretty cool.

psychic friend
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
ya FAXY i had nextel when sprint joined them and I think they stayed on nextels network didnt they? it was after 99. i never had any customer service issues with nextel or nextel/sprint. and never had any issues with reception or dropped calls. I currently have no issues with verizon other than their WAY TOO HIGH price to switch to a smartphone plan. Im wondering if anyone has any experience with the phones offered in that offer I linked to. The online reviews seem SO/SO..

marooko
09-01-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm considering a new provider, any quick suggestions other than reading this thread?

Prefer not to get in to a contract, but I don't have the funds for a new phone at the moment, so I might be stuck on that. Looking for Unlimited data, if it actually exists. meaning no throttling after a certain amount.

locachica73
09-01-2013, 07:19 AM
I know a lot of people hate cricket, but its unlimited everything and my bill was always the same. It worked great for me for three years until I got a free work phone. I will probably go back when my work phone goes away.

BROKENDOLL
09-01-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm considering a new provider, any quick suggestions other than reading this thread?

Prefer not to get in to a contract, but I don't have the funds for a new phone at the moment, so I might be stuck on that. Looking for Unlimited data, if it actually exists. meaning no throttling after a certain amount.
A friend just got one of those Trakfones through WalMart, and after setting it up for her, I actually would consider one for myself... You purchase the phone and calling cards separately, and there are no contracts. They offered several styles and brands of phone, including Samsung, Motorola, L, etc... and they varied in price from like $19.99- 129.00. Once you pick the phone, you choose your card according to the amount of minutes you'd need, and activate it using another phone. I believe she paid like $29.00 for her phone choice and maybe $49 for her minutes. Not sure exactly how many minutes, but I know they automatically doubled them. Damn thing has pretty much everything that my Android seems to have, or at least many of the things I use.

westcoastpirate
09-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I've been doing a lot of research on prepaid plans lately and both Straight Talk and Net10 seem like good options. Straight Talk is unlimited talk, text, and data for $45/month, but they will cut you off at 2GB. Net10 will throttle you at 1.5GB even though they are also 'unlimited.' Net10 is $50/month, but you get $5 off your bill if you set up automatic renewal. You also have the option to bring your own device, and can get a SIM to either run on the AT&T network or T Mobile network. I think you can bring CDMA phones over as well and run it off Verizon.

gaypalmsprings
09-01-2013, 10:08 PM
I just changed to MetroPCS & I like it a lot.