PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Sucks! Coachella Boardie on a mission to do my part to end it.

erikua
03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
I am on a quest to end the big bad dreaded C after Cancer struck close to home in 2008. No one ever wants to hear the phone call informing you a loved one was just diagnosed.

In hopes of preventing those phone calls from occurring one day in the future for other families, I've signed up with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training to raise awareness and funds to research cancers as well as provide patient care and support to those currently in the fight.

Simply put, I am the messenger raising funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for a larger cause that most likely, unfortunately has affected someone we each know. Save a life... honor a friend or family member who is fighting Cancer.. make a donation! (100% deductible on your taxes)

go here to find out more information on the mission and how you can help! :http://pages.teamintraining.org/dm/ambbr10/eriktrevino

Become a fan on Facebook: http://bit.ly/cX9Ses

Monklish
03-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Go fuck yourself.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
i'm all for curing cancer. but how will bike riding cure cancer? can't people instead just give money directly to the cause?

algunz
03-17-2010, 10:52 AM
A coworker was just diagnosed with Lymphoma. Last Wednesday he was fine and then Thursday morning he was in the hospital.

Sad :(

rskapcat
03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
The people doing the ride collect donations. Same thing as Race for the Cure.

Monklish
03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Maybe instead of riding a bike you should become a fucking scientist.

algunz
03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Or a cancer statistic.

daxton
03-17-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm ashamed to say that was actually pretty funny. Good cause, though.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 10:55 AM
The people doing the ride collect donations. Same thing as Race for the Cure.

i also don't understand how running cures cancer. i would instead think one of the first steps to finding a cure for cancer is to cut out all the middle men from the transaction and just give money directly to cancer research foundations.

and i've not only known people who have have died from cancer, but have had my own personal scare as well so it's not like i am not sympathetic to the cause.

erikua
03-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Perhaps..... but funds are still needed for those scientist. Hope you never get bit by the cancer bug or loose a child, mom, brother, sister, father to cancer. Good luck with that Karma.

As for how riding a bike cures cancer (or running a marathon, race for the cure, etc), well it gets the message out. Someone may donate when someone ask them to donate rather then just log into www.lls.org and donate directly which you still can. So regardless how you donate, just donate what ya can. It's a horrible illness as I have witnessed first hand. I truly hope no one here has to go through that...

erikua
03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
i also don't understand how running cures cancer. i would instead think one of the first steps to finding a cure for cancer is to cut out all the middle men from the transaction and just give money directly to cancer research foundations.

and i've not only known people who have have died from cancer, but have had my own personal scare as well so it's not like i am not sympathetic to the cause.

Have you donated directly then? Here is a direct link to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. (http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=8477) Put your money where your mouth is and donate directly.

J~$$$$
03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
you are fat.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Have you donated directly then? Here is a direct link to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. (http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=8477) Put your money where your mouth is and donate directly.

put your money where your asshole is. i guess if biking riding doesn't cure cancer, bullying people into donating will :thu

erikua
03-17-2010, 11:02 AM
put your money where your asshole is. i guess if biking riding doesn't cure cancer, bullying people into donating will :thu

Just saying....

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
i have donated in the past. several times. i don't know why you expect with only a 100 posts in two years on this board we are all going to be comfortable sending checks directly to you to go bike riding. if you want to bike ride, fine. if you want to find a cure for cancer, get involved in the research past the collecting other people's money part.

Monklish
03-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Better yet--how about you raise money by actually doing something PRODUCTIVE instead of just some pointless bullshit run? Like sell something. Bake some fucking cookies or make some fucking crafts or donate your services--whatever it is you actually do that contributes to society in some way--to people in exchange for donations. That's actually doing something good for a cause. What you're doing is basically just asking people to donate money to give you an excuse to run a pussy marathon.

brando4n82
03-17-2010, 11:08 AM

what a waste to society you are.

brando4n82
03-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Better yet--how about you raise money by actually doing something PRODUCTIVE instead of just some pointless bullshit run? Like sell something. Bake some fucking cookies or make some fucking crafts or donate your services--whatever it is you actually do that contributes to society in some way--to people in exchange for donations. That's actually doing something good for a cause. What you're doing is basically just asking people to donate money to give you an excuse to run a pussy marathon.

Right...baking cookies and making pottery is so much more productive than running....

I can tell the marathon concept is just wayy over your head. Don't worry. It's Ok

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
what a waste to society you are.

i know, right? if only monklish would bike ride for a useful cause!

captncrzy
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
You guys are being assholes. He's just trying to raise money for a good cause. I say we all go jump on that dumbass that is trying to raise money for a trip to Coachella.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37931&highlight=send+coachella

Monklish
03-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Right...baking cookies and making pottery is so much more productive than running....

Yes, it is. Because then you can say, "Hey guys, wanna buy these cookies for a dollar? Here is something in exchange for your money. You are actually receiving something enjoyable as a proceed AND your consumerism is going to a good cause. Unlike donating via a marathon, wherein you get absolutely nothing whatsoever for your money and the only person who possibly receives any joy from the process is the asshole running and claiming he's doing it for a good cause at your expense."

Effective charity is not asking people to donate just because.

AlecEiffel
03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I actually spend 8 hours a day working on a cure for cancer. Riding a bike ain't doing shit. Randy is right on this one, There are more productive things you can do to raise money for cancer research than riding a bike.

erikua
run a pussy marathon.

Not a marathon... it's a century cycle race. Regardless... doubt you could complete or even train for either.

brando4n82
Yes, it is. Because then you can say, "Hey guys, wanna buy these cookies for a dollar? Here is something in exchange for your money. You are actually receiving something enjoyable as a proceed AND your consumerism is going to a good cause. Unlike donating via a marathon, wherein you get absolutely nothing whatsoever for your money and the only person who possibly receives any joy from the process is the asshole running and claiming he's doing it for a good cause at your expense."

Effective charity is not asking people to donate just because.

mm yes randy. for people like you...you need insentives like....cookies, to donate to a cancer fund.. cause lord knows no one ever get a sense of satisfaction and or a good feeling for donating whatever amount to a good cause:rolleyes Jackass

erikua
03-17-2010, 11:15 AM
i have donated in the past. several times. i don't know why you expect with only a 100 posts in two years on this board we are all going to be comfortable sending checks directly to you to go bike riding.

No where did I ask you for or provide an address to mail me a check. Only a weblink to a donation page run by LLS.

Monklish
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Not a marathon... it's a century cycle race. Regardless... doubt you could complete or even train for either.

Hard to say. What's EASY to say though is that I would absolutely never ever ever fucking attempt it. Instead I would offer up my professional services in exchange for donations, thereby incentivizing the general public to actually want to donate rather than just patting myself on the back for riding a fucking bike.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
You guys are being assholes. He's just trying to raise money for a good cause. I say we all go jump on that dumbass that is trying to raise money for a trip to Coachella.

is that guy using cancer as an excuse too?

i am just sick of all the advertising and marketing behind specific diseses. and i'm really sick of hearing about these runs and bike rides. i'm sick of people at work making me feel guilty for not giving them money or participating. you know what? if i want to go hiking or go bike riding, i call my friends and do it on my own dime. i don't need a shitty tee-shirt funded by people's donations to do it. if i am feeling altrustic, lonely for my grandpa, i shoot $10 to a cancer foundation and i'm done with it. then ALL that money goes directly to the cause rather than a percentage going to tee-shirts and water bottles.

i think it's extremely strange to come onto a message board of people you don't interact with regularly and ask them to send money directly to your home address.

erikua
03-17-2010, 11:17 AM

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37931&highlight=send+coachella

Wow! Seriously? Some one is asking for funds to go to Coachella yet I'm being hounded for this like I unplugged the power in the Sahara Saturday night?!?!?!? It's ok.. the cause is larger than any words exchanged on here.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 11:18 AM
you just changed your website then. because it said to mail a check directly to you, with a tucson address and that you promised it would go to the right place.

zajaa
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
wow this thing got messy real quick

erikua
i think it's extremely strange to come onto a message board of people you don't interact with regularly and ask them to send money directly to your home address.

Where is my home address? Never asked for a check, at least gets some facts straight.

hawkingvsreeve
Hey guys. I ride a stationary bike at home sometimes. Mail me a check, too.

Monklish
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
mm yes randy. for people like you...you need insentives like....cookies, to donate to a cancer fund.. cause lord knows no one ever get a sense of satisfaction and or a good feeling for donating whatever amount to a good cause:rolleyes Jackass

My point is that it's rude to people to put them in the position. If you don't donate, then you look/feel like an asshole. But why should someone be putting you on the spot to fork up some money on this ridiculous flimsy premise? Why the fuck should I care that he's riding a bike? What he's doing does absolutely nothing for nobody. Why not kill two birds with one stone and actually do something productive while raising money?

Donating money in exchange for nothing is certainly a kind gesture. What's not kind is asking people to donate for nothing when you COULD be doing something. Doing these races is just an easy way to try to guilt a bunch of people into all coughing up dough for what's little more than a half a day's work that benefits no one. If you really want to raise some fucking money, go out and donate your services, something you actually SHOULD be paid for and are forsaking payment in the name of your devotion. Go fucking lay bricks for six hours every Saturday and toss that over to cancer.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Where is my home address? Never asked for a check, at least gets some facts straight.

you just changed your website to now show an e-mail address where people can contact you for information on how to submit a check. stop playing dumb.

and i'm done with this. if people want to pay for you to go bike riding, have at it.

mickflyy
03-17-2010, 11:22 AM

Well where is the link?

erikua
03-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I actually spend 8 hours a day working on a cure for cancer. Riding a bike ain't doing shit. Randy is right on this one, There are more productive things you can do to raise money for cancer research than riding a bike.

Thanks AlecEiffel for your work. I'm just trying to do my part to keep the funds coming so you can continue your research. Perhaps more productive ways sure, but if you are involved in this you should know the severity of the disease, the cuts by the Feds on research and simply how much funds are needed. What ever method funds get to the researchers, I really don't care. If you lost someone to this illness, perhaps you wouldn't care either. Just my small small part as 1 of 300 million Americans.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
does the smug attitude give you any idea why we're jumping on this, jen?

Monklish
03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Know how you do charity right? Paul Newman. Newman didn't just ask people to donate money because (a) it's impolite and (b) you raise much more money if you actually offer something in exchange. So he started companies that make delicious salad dressings and donated all the proceeds to charity. That way people could be giving money even if they weren't necessarily charitable. That way they didn't have to choose between giving money and buying food if they didn't have much disposable income.

BROKENDOLL
03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Just saying....
Thank you. It's a shame that you have to even argue or deal with the bullshit this board is full of just to offer or ask for people to join in on the fight against something so prevalent as Cancer, isn't it? My condolences for your loss, and my apologies for the ignorance exibited by others here.

hawkingvsreeve
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Thank you. It's a shame that you have to even argue or deal with the bullshit this board is full of just to offer or ask for people to join in on the fight against something so prevalent as Cancer, isn't it? My condolences for your loss, and my apologies for the ignorance exibited by others here.

There was a much better way to go about asking people here for money. It has nothing to do with ignorance.

brando4n82
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
My point is that it's rude to people to put them in the position. If you don't donate, then you look/feel like an asshole. But why should someone be putting you on the spot to fork up some money on this ridiculous flimsy premise? Why the fuck should I care that he's riding a bike? What he's doing does absolutely nothing for nobody. Why not kill two birds with one stone and actually do something productive while raising money?

Donating money in exchange for nothing is certainly a kind gesture. What's not kind is asking people to donate for nothing when you COULD be doing something. Doing these races is just an easy way to try to guilt a bunch of people into all coughing up dough for what's little more than a half a day's work that benefits no one. If you really want to raise some fucking money, go out and donate your services, something you actually SHOULD be paid for and are forsaking payment in the name of your devotion. Go fucking lay bricks for six hours every Saturday and toss that over to cancer.

It shouldnt feel like a guilt trip at all though. That's your problem if you feel guilty. Dont blame someone just for asking. You know how many charities I turn down? My mom is a survivor of breast cancer. And I dont always donate when people ask for a donation towards cancer, and rarely do i ever for that matter....so who gives a shit. dont be such a pussy Randy. No reason to feel guilty.

Blinken
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM

I like how all of you are ignoring the input of the one motherfucker on here actually doing cancer research.

One way to help is Folding@home. It is software that goes on your PS3 or home computer. It is for folding proteins which takes up an incredible amount of resources.

brando4n82
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Know how you do charity right? Paul Newman. Newman didn't just ask people to donate money because (a) it's impolite and (b) you raise much more money if you actually offer something in exchange. So he started companies that make delicious salad dressings and donated all the proceeds to charity. That way people could be giving money even if they weren't necessarily charitable. That way they didn't have to choose between giving money and buying food if they didn't have much disposable income.

Hahaha ok now you're comparing Coachella Boardies to Paul Newman. you suck at this

algunz
03-17-2010, 11:40 AM
What's not kind is asking people to donate for nothing when you COULD be doing something.

Go fucking lay bricks for six hours every Saturday and toss that over to cancer.

It's all energy and time, sometimes that's all that people can offer.

BROKENDOLL
03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Wow! Seriously? Some one is asking for funds to go to Coachella yet I'm being hounded for this like I unplugged the power in the Sahara Saturday night?!?!?!? It's ok.. the cause is larger than any words exchanged on here.
Some of these people are too far above that thought process. They believe they're invincible or something...That is until they're laid up in a hospital with some bloood clot or soemthing. Then their tune changes. Doesn't it, Randy?

i know, right? if only monklish would bike ride for a useful cause!
As long as he does the ride smack in the middle of a busy freeway, I'm all for it.

How hard is it for any of you bitching about this to just say, "I'm sorry, but I can't donate right now?" No, instead, you'd rather instigate another lame- assed attack on somebody making a kind gesture. If that's what it takes to make you guys feel better about yourselves, we'll remember that for when you may need a cure for yoiur Cancer or healthcare in the future. Fuck.

BlackSwan
03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
If a cure for cancer is discovered than the pharmaceutical companies will loose money on the outrageously-priced extended cancer treatments and subsequent remission treatments. What are you, a communist?

captncrzy
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
does the smug attitude give you any idea why we're jumping on this, jen?

I happen to know the guy personally. I suspect you're taking his defensiveness for smugness. He's not smug; he's honestly trying to just raise money through an organization. It's not like he's doing this on his own. If you don't want to dontate, don't. And don't feel guilty about it. I can't contribute right now and I don't feel guilty about it. And, I would think your objection to the way funds are bring raised would be with the company organizing the bike ride, not the individual.

If he had asked, I would have advised him against posting it on the board. I mean, I realize we're all mostly assholes on here, but Christ.

AlecEiffel
03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
If a cure for cancer is discovered than the pharmaceutical companies will loose money on the outrageously-priced extended cancer treatments and subsequent remission treatments. What are you, a communist?

I get that you're joking, but big pharma would actually love a "cure". They would most likely be the one's dispensing it and it would be just as outrageously priced.

TomAz
03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Begging for money for Cancer Research plays on the public's guilt and ignorance and puts scientific priorities in the hands of the unkowledgable. There are ways that scientific research in this country are funded, be it astronomy or lymphoma. Grant applications, vetting processes, scientific oversight, etc. It's an intelligent system and it works. Going directly to the public is just a ploy by certain research groups to get even more money out of the public than the academic community believes is warranted. You can tell it smells funny because the appeals never deal in hard facts, instead they make emotional appeals to make you feel like a bad person if you don't give. The original poster's paragraph is a prime example of that. She/he makes it sound like it's our fault if our grandpa dies of cancer because we didn't contribute to her/his little bike ride.

What you don't see out of these fundraisers is facts. You don't see discussion of, here's the amount of cancer research funding available from the government, here's the amount available from trusts and foundations, etc., here's what it goes to, here's where the shortfall is which is why we are appealing to you, etc. You know, presenting something that sounds more down to earth and less like an advertising spiel.

Ultimately, that's how these fundraisers strike me -- they want my money the same way that McDonald's or Budweiser or Toyota want my money. Because they want to keep their jobs and grow their enterprise.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
so instead of spamming message boards for other people's money (who probably don't have much more than him) & doing arbitrary activities like going bike riding, instead get a job or produce a product to raise said money. that's all i'm saying. he's raised what, $400 so far? work a minimum wage part time job at 20 hours a week and raise the same amount in a month.

AlecEiffel
03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Begging for money for Cancer Research plays on the public's guilt and ignorance and puts scientific priorities in the hands of the unkowledgable. There are ways that scientific research in this country are funded, be it astronomy or lymphoma. Grant applications, vetting processes, scientific oversight, etc. It's an intelligent system and it works. Going directly to the public is just a ploy by certain research groups to get even more money out of the public than the academic community believes is warranted. You can tell it smells funny because the appeals never deal in hard facts, instead they make emotional appeals to make you feel like a bad person if you don't give. The original poster's paragraph is a prime example of that. She/he makes it sound like it's our fault if our grandpa dies of cancer because we didn't contribute to her/his little bike ride.

What you don't see out of these fundraisers is facts. You don't see discussion of, here's the amount of cancer research funding available from the government, here's the amount available from trusts and foundations, etc., here's what it goes to, here's where the shortfall is which is why we are appealing to you, etc. You know, presenting something that sounds more down to earth and less like an advertising spiel.

Ultimately, that's how these fundraisers strike me -- they want my money the same way that McDonald's or Budweiser or Toyota want my money. Because they want to keep their jobs and grow their enterprise.

Very well said.

captncrzy
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure I understand what is more offensive to you: asking for money or the actual non-product producing event? Doesn't an event like this mirror events like the Walk for the Cure (which has raised millions, by the way)?

Not fighting, just asking.

Monklish
03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't feel at all guilty. People who contribute do.

I just don't understand if he's so concerned with donating his time and energy to the cause why he isn't doing something that's worth anything to anyone. Even if you sell stupid fucking ribbons or bumper stickers--which I don't support either--it still offers more to the person donating than this stupid fucking bike thing.

You know what bike races and marathons for charity are? An excuse for people who like riding bikes and running to feel like they're doing a good deed while they engage in their fucking hobby. It's selfish bullshit.

SoulDischarge
03-17-2010, 12:11 PM

This I can get behind. Brandon's tone figure benefits the entire community. I would imagine cancer patients would find the extra will to live after seeing these results.

BlackSwan
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
I am going to have sex to raise awareness and funds to research cancers. Donate to my cause people.

captncrzy
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I wonder if any of those 100 man gang-bangs have had the proceeds go to a good cause.

SoulDischarge
03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Donate $1 towards cancer research for every internet insult I post. Hate for a cause.

thewindowliquor
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM

It pretty much is, by fucking definition. See, when you bake cookies, you are PRODUCING COOKIES. Whereas, when you're running, you're not producing anything.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure I understand what is more offensive to you: asking for money or the actual non-product producing event? Doesn't an event like this mirror events like the Walk for the Cure (which has raised millions, by the way)?

Not fighting, just asking.

i'm offended by people asking me for money to go bike riding or running and using something like cancer to guilt me into giving them the money. it's essentially saying "i don't want to have to work to find a cure, but i want other people to work (earn money) and find a cure for me and i'll take all the credit".

when i wanted to go to london as a kid for example, i went to costco, bought bulk candy bars and sold them. i raised over $500 in 1995 doing this. WAY more effective than ANY walkathon i ever participated in as a kid. plus, i actually saw the benefit of my work in the end result. i'm sure there are some people out there who are good at milking thousands of dollars from people, but it seems like getting a steady job would produce way more for the cure than asking people for money on a regular basis.

i'm also perplexed at the lack of logic behind these fundraisers. how on earth does bike riding help cancer? how does running? the only benefit seems to be to those who ride/bike because they feel like they are doing something and they get to interact with other people who have been through the same thing. i get the social aspect, but i don't see why it needs to be tied to begging people for their money. just have a support group instead.

TomAz
03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
I think it's silly to be 'offended' by fundraisers. I'm not offended by McDonald's ads.

I can say 'no' to either one (or 'yes' if I so choose) and be perfectly fine with that. My money, my choice, no guilt, no taking offense.

SoulDischarge
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
That's what my program is all about. Bringing offensiveness back to fundraising.

TomAz
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
I will give $20 to cancer for every turd you eat at coachella, patrick.

SoulDischarge
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Viva cancer!

Monklish
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Seriously. I'm going to start a website asking people to donate money for every time I post on this board. Are you guys going to donate? Why not? Don't you want to fight cancer? Hmm?

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
you should totally do it & keep a link in your signature. then you can tell people you're posting for the cure whenever they give you lip. brilliant.

juloxx
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
If you make us some salad dressing in the process

TomAz
03-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Testicular Cancer.

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
well technically, i have more of a right to be there than you. you still have your balls

Monklish
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
If I volunteered to post one nice thing for every dollar donated I would still be doing more for those who donate than this asshole and his bicycle.

miscorrections
03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I always feel like these things have very little oversight and you never quite know where the money is actually going. And Tom is definitely right - research funding is structured a certain way for a reason, and riding some stupid bike isn't going to help a lab out.

TomAz
baking cookies, and making pottery costs money. RIDING A BIKE DOES NOT. therefore, a marathon, cycling or running, is a much more effective way to raise money for a cause.

you didn't read the whole thread did you.

chairmenmeow47
baking cookies, and making pottery costs money. RIDING A BIKE DOES NOT. therefore, a marathon, cycling or running, is a much more effective way to raise money for a cause.

how is it more effective? as the person donating, i'd much rather have some pottery you made or a cookie to eat than the warm & fuzzy mental image of you riding a bicycle. so while it's more effective for you, it's less effective for me, the person with the money you're trying to get out of me.

Monklish
03-17-2010, 12:35 PM

Are bicycles free now? You seem to confuse "preferable" with "effective." How much money is he going to spend training for this bike ride that could be donated directly to cancer? He's going to pay for shit his bike, he's going to purchase water and Cliff bars, etc. I fail to see how him coming up with money out of his own pocket to purchase milk and eggs and flour to make cookies is in any way less effective. All it means is that he's actually contributing something he receives no benefit from.

fatbastard
03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Anyone ever smoke a chemo dipped ciggie?

chairmenmeow47
03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
ha ha ha ha, fatbastard. no, but i remember my grandpa illegally smoked pot when he was going through chemo.

TomAz
I always feel like these things have very little oversight and you never quite know where the money is actually going. And Tom is definitely right - research funding is structured a certain way for a reason, and riding some stupid bike isn't going to help a lab out.

I have this sense -- can't support with facts, sorry -- that the only thing that Fundraising for Cancer (or whatever) Research does is support the professional fundraisers. in 2008 the CEO of the American Cancer Society made over $1 million in salary.

Monklish
I'm going to smoke cigarettes to fight cancer. I ask that you donate one dollar for every cigarette I smoke. If you can provide any reason whatsoever why my charity is any more useful to either the donors or the charity than this guy riding his bike, I will donate 10,000 dollars out of my own pocket.

J~$$$$
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Obese.

miscorrections
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I have this sense -- can't support with facts, sorry -- that the only thing that Fundraising for Cancer (or whatever) Research does is support the professional fundraisers. in 2008 the CEO of the American Cancer Society made over $1 million in salary.

Right, that's my main problem. Charity is a profitable business but it really doesn't accomplish much.

miscorrections
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I mean, come on. Most charities focus on "awareness," but who the hell isn't already aware of most of these problems?

J~$$$$
03-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Never forget the lance armstrong bracelet.

TomAz
Awareness is code for 'more fundraising'.

SoulDischarge
Cancer? I barely even know her!

miscorrections
03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
My new thing with those bracelets is to snap it and then say HEY LANCE ARMSTRONG: EAT A DICK! I did this to my brother and it was immensely satisfying.

J~$$$$
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I use my lance amrstrong bracelet as a cock ring.

mickflyy
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Pendejo

A-Ron
03-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I do tons of races and train regularly and hate how the Team and Training people put themselves on a moral high ground at events because they are doing it for a good cause and someone like me who does it as a hobby is wrong or evil. Whatever, they are usually one hit wonders and place in the bottom half of races regularly.

bluemamba
03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Seriously. I'm going to start a website asking people to donate money for every time I post on this board. Are you guys going to donate? Why not? Don't you want to fight cancer? Hmm?

I'm going to smoke cigarettes to fight cancer. I ask that you donate one dollar for every cigarette I smoke. If you can provide any reason whatsoever why my charity is any more useful to either the donors or the charity than this guy riding his bike, I will donate 10,000 dollars out of my own pocket.

Why do you set up a cancer fundraiser with Devin the midget for this Coachella? kill two birds with one stone. Launch a midget and cure cancer at the same time.

TomAz
03-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I wonder if that bike ride has cured cancer yet.

J~$$$$
03-18-2010, 01:27 PM
LIVE STRONG.

TomAz
10-27-2011, 03:34 PM

bumped for starraven.

Starraven
10-27-2011, 03:47 PM

I got to this post and I've given up already. What's the reason to debate you about awareness rallies/fundraisers/walk-a-thon/bikeride/bakesale/marathons anyway?

PotVsKtl
10-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Put 2010 in its place.

guedita
10-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Did she confuse Monklish with TomAz? That hasn't happened in a while.

Starraven
10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
To be fair TomAz confused himself with jackstraw94086 in the first place.

I just meant that this thread is full of enough tard. It doesn't need me adding to it.

Hannahrain
10-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Let him keep going. His one-man fistfight choreography is usually incredible.

Alchemy
10-27-2011, 04:07 PM
This thread is a cancer. I hate smug bike riders as much as the next guy, but I also think it's silly to "contribute to the cure for cancer by becoming a scientist or getting a job to donate money" instead of doing cancer awareness activities. If I had a job, I'd contribute to myself. And if I was a scientist, I'd bring back dinosaurs.

marooko
10-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Any specific dinosaur? I would want to bring back the Stegosaurus, that's always been my favorite.

Alchemy
10-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I think I'd bring back a Triceratops. And I'd create Cancer Awareness Triceratops Racing. And also, I'd create Extreme Mountain Triceratops Destruction Derbies.

algunz
10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Then I'd have to create a Save the Triceratops campaign.

schoolofruckus
10-27-2011, 05:23 PM
This was a really entertaining read that I had previously slept on. Team Tom.

chairmenmeow47
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
i was trying to find the name of a medicine my doctor mentioned today, and i googled "breast cancer" and "awareness" was the first thing to pop up. i think we're aware by now.

chairmenmeow47
10-27-2011, 08:27 PM
i'm also holding a masturbatory marathon to raise awareness about endometriosis tonight. donations strongly encouraged.

Hannahrain
10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Don't you have work in the morning?

Hannahrain
10-27-2011, 08:34 PM
I think I may be being too subtle. I'm implying that you're going to touch yourself for quite some time in the name of charity.

chairmenmeow47
10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
thank you for raising awareness about working a job to earn money. without supporters like you, i'd be lost.

Suffacated
10-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Please give.....what a fucking joke.

TOP 25 COMPENSATION PACKAGES
The salary information below was calculated by adding the IRS Form 990 categories of “Compensation,” “Contributions to employee benefit plans,” and “Expense accounts and other allowances.” Not included are any benefits received but not reported in the charity’s IRS Form 990.
When information is given only on the national headquarters and the charity does not include its affiliates in its financial statements, “National Office” or “N.O.” appears after the group’s name.

This table was published in the August 2011 issue of AIP's Charity Rating Guide & Watchdog Report.

NOTE: AIP grades are not based on the salary ranges reported in the IRS form 990. DUE TO DIFFERENCES IN THE WAY SALARIES MIGHT BE ALLOCATED, HIGH SALARIES DO NOT NECESSARILY INDICATE INEFFICIENCIES JUST AS LOW SALARIES ARE NOT ALWAYS A PLUS.

Harold Varmus, M.D., Past President/CEO Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
$2,557,403
William Barram, Past National VP, Division Services American Cancer Society
$2,428,592
Includes $1,096,232 in supplemental executive retirement plan and $866,041 deferred compensation. CEO John Seffrin earned $1,316,356, including $386,562 in deferred compensation.
Edward J. Benz, M.D., President
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Jimmy Fund
$1,233,800
Robert J. Mazzuca, Chief Scout Executive Boy Scouts of America - N.O.
$1,211,572
Thomas C. Nelson, Past Ex-Officio/Past COO AARP Foundation & AARP, respectively
$1,176,614
Includes a separation payment of $682,285. The full amount of Thomas Nelson's compensation was paid by AARP, not AARP Foundation.
Robert J. Beall, President/CEO Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
$1,098,945
Harry Johns, President/CEO Alzheimer's Association
$1,065,524
Includes $392,218 retirement and other deferred compensation.
Gail McGovern, President/CEO American Red Cross
$1,032,022
Includes a one-time reimbursement of $473,570 for relocation costs to work at the national headquarters.
Ernest Allen, President/CEO National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
$1,028,533
Includes $422,337 retirement and other deferred compensation, of which $330,944 is a catch-up amount for underfunded retirement benefits in previous years.
Edwin J. Feulner, President Heritage Foundation
$989,634
Wayne LaPierre, Executive VP/Ex-Officio National Rifle Association & Foundation, respectively
$970,588
Christopher DeMuth, Past President American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research
$939,059
Includes $528,972 in supplemental executive retirement plan payments.
Steven E. Sanderson, President/CEO Wildlife Conservation Society
$927,534
Michael L. Lomax, President/CEO United Negro College Fund (UNCF/The College Fund)
$877,582
Includes $686,080 in retirement funds for 5 full years of service.
Joseph V. Haggerty, COO

United Way Worldwide
$864,875
Includes $318,578 SERP imputed income.
Jonathan W. Simons, M.D., President/CEO

Prostate Cancer Foundation
$850,188
Alan J. Lewis, Past President/CEO Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
$813,732
Joseph Krajbich, M.D., Orthopaedic Surgeon Shriners Hospitals for Children
$807,917
Includes $401,435 retirement and other deferred compensation.
Howard Rieger, President/CEO Jewish Federations of North America
$801,866
William E. Evans, Director/CEO St. Jude Children's Research Hospital/ALSAC
$795,538
James E. Williams, Jr., CEO Easter Seals
$781,000
Rabbi Marvin Hier, President/CEO Simon Wiesenthal Center
$759,026
Shulamith Bahat, Past Associate Executive Director American Jewish Committee
$706,563
Includes $530,798 deferred compensation and retirement payments in respect to 50 weeks salary and accrued vacation.
Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein, President

International Fellowship of Christians & Jews
$696,737
Abraham H. Foxman, National Director Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith
$689,398

guedita
10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
I think I'd bring back a Triceratops. And I'd create Cancer Awareness Triceratops Racing. And also, I'd create Extreme Mountain Triceratops Destruction Derbies.

I got to this post and I've given up already. What's the reason to debate you about the lameness of Triceratops anyway? WHY BOTHER? You are the worst, Tom.

Ptaradactyl4lyfe.

TomAz
10-28-2011, 08:53 AM
yf-4DNdAyJQ

heart cooks brain
10-28-2011, 10:20 AM
teV4FJNQH24