PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Fire on SNL tonight

Lounge Fly
02-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Somebody mentioned this in another thread too I think but tonight the Arcade Fire will be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live.
It should be a pretty funny show too Dwight Schrute (real name Rainn Wilson) from 'The Office' is hosting and he's pretty damn funny.
If anybody's not familiar with the show and just wants to see the music they'll play one song at the halfway point and then they'll finish off the show with another song at the very end

boarderwoozel3
02-24-2007, 01:50 PM
SNL has gone downhill in recent years but I'll be tuning in for the first time in a while tonight. Funny host, good band, we'll see whats up these days.

wmgaretjax
02-24-2007, 01:52 PM
ditto to boarderwoozel.

ADrunkPoet
02-24-2007, 01:55 PM
is it true that within reason, the host of the show picks the musical guest?
if so, rainn wilson just got a lot cooler (which is hard to believe all things considered)

mistdevil
02-24-2007, 01:59 PM
nice... love arcade fire.

Lounge Fly
02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
SNL has gone downhill in recent years but I'll be tuning in for the first time in a while tonight. Funny host, good band, we'll see whats up these days.

Yeah its really gone down actually. I don't even bother DVR'ing it anymore unless I really like the host or musical act. Did you happen to catch Justin Timberlakes 'dick in a box' sketch though a while back? One of the funnier skits I've seen in a while.

mistdevil
02-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Yeah its really gone down actually. I don't even bother DVR'ing it anymore unless I really like the host or musical act. Did you happen to catch Justin Timberlakes 'dick in a box' sketch though a while back? One of the funnier skits I've seen in a while.

that was hella funny.

mountmccabe
02-24-2007, 02:47 PM

I have never seen anything that suggested this and I can't imagine that being the case.

Lounge Fly
02-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I have never seen anything that suggested this and I can't imagine that being the case.

I remember years ago Dan Akroyd hosted the show and the musical guest were 'the tragically hip'. Given that they're both canadian and they're friends I highly doubt it was a coincidence. This may just be the case from time to time but I wouldn't be surprised if they had some input.

woogie846
02-24-2007, 04:04 PM
if so, rainn wilson just got a lot cooler (which is hard to believe all things considered)

I don't think so, I read something that said the only indie rock Rainn likes is R.E.M.

Aww man, I'm gonna be out tonight. I really do need to get TiVo.

psychic friend
02-24-2007, 05:49 PM
there is a thread called coachella artists on tv which this should be posted in

woogie846
02-24-2007, 06:22 PM
party pooper.

Boourns
02-24-2007, 09:29 PM
INTERVENTION! GUITAR SMASHY! Any festival that dares go on without the fucking ARCADE FIRE this year is a pathetic joke.

summerkid
02-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree.

AEversW
02-24-2007, 09:34 PM
INTERVENTION! GUITAR SMASHY! Any festival that dares go on without the fucking ARCADE FIRE this year is a pathetic joke.

:lool @ Bonnaroo

lowfront
02-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Excellent performance of course.....

DeltaSigChi4
02-24-2007, 10:22 PM
YouTube???

E

lowfront
02-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Is there a way to somehow ignore everything Deltasigchi4 says?

DeltaSigChi4
02-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Ignore function, gnub.

E

DeltaSigChi4
02-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Or you can be an adult and just ignore every post I make.

It shouldn't be that difficult.

E

FakePlasticMe
02-24-2007, 10:31 PM
I WAS WORKING PLEASE SOMEONE LINK ME!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Frank, where are you??

lowfront
02-24-2007, 10:32 PM
You should just leave the forum hypocrite

suprefan
02-24-2007, 10:42 PM
You should just leave the forum hypocrite

Who are you talking to? Gina(fakeplasticme) did just get home from work so.......

FakePlasticMe
02-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Lowfront wasn't talking to me, we're group camp buddies....he loves me.

All I know is: SOMEONE PLEASE UPLOAD THIS. C'mon, we're in the damn internet age, Radiohead farts on a snare drum and it's all over youtube in seconds, ARCADE FIRE FANS, get your shit together and upload. Please. *cries*

AEversW
02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
NBC usually takes down videos posted on youtube. If its on there it wont be on there long.

ADrunkPoet
02-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Taping the entire thing
<333 Arcade Fire/Rainn

boyalien0
02-24-2007, 11:14 PM
sorry, i had to steal that for my sig.

lowfront
02-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Lowfront wasn't talking to me, we're group camp buddies....he loves me.

All I know is: SOMEONE PLEASE UPLOAD THIS. C'mon, we're in the damn internet age, Radiohead farts on a snare drum and it's all over youtube in seconds, ARCADE FIRE FANS, get your shit together and upload. Please. *cries*

Of course....

Ya I don't know I say UKK will have a download of it tomorrow. But I don't know. Hopefully.

FakePlasticMe
02-24-2007, 11:18 PM
sorry, i had to steal that for my sig.

Sweet! No one has ever used something I said as a sig before.... *Blushes*

mountmccabe
02-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Whoah, combo.

I thought they sounded good for both songs. Win smashing his guitar seemed a little rote.

lowfront
02-24-2007, 11:36 PM
I had mixed feeling about the guitar smashing.

But I think he was just in the moment and thought it would be funny.

rage patton
02-25-2007, 01:07 AM
The guitar smashing was weird, because it was the Arcade Fire. But it was also funny... because it was the Arcade Fire. What was the weird instrument that girl was playing during thier second song? I cant even tell if I heard what sound it was making haha. Oh well. Should be an interesting band check out.

paulb
02-25-2007, 01:22 AM
the 1st song was called Intervention and the 2nd was called, Keep The Cars Runnings...

I think Intervention was the fuckin best! I was blown away... his voice sounds so different to the Coachella dvd...was he drunk during that set or somethin?

3x5sunrise
02-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Both were fantastic performances...I thought the guitar smashing was brought on by Win's broken string as viewed by my friend, "Oops, broken strong, I wonder what he's gonna do...yeah, ok, or could just smash it, Mmm-hmm."

As to the differences between the Coachella movie and this taped performance, yeah, I noticed a difference in Win's voice. But my favorite of any Arcade Fire show are Will's antics in the background.

lowfront
02-25-2007, 01:47 AM
The guitar smashing was weird, because it was the Arcade Fire. But it was also funny... because it was the Arcade Fire. What was the weird instrument that girl was playing during thier second song? I cant even tell if I heard what sound it was making haha. Oh well. Should be an interesting band check out.

Its called a hurdy gurdy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy_gurdy

frijolesdelaolla
02-25-2007, 03:03 AM
I've never heard Arcade Fire until tonight's SNL and i liked what i heard, reminded me of Echo and The Bunnymen, the dude's vocals.

lowfront
02-25-2007, 03:29 AM
Listen to their album funeral

mistdevil
02-25-2007, 08:51 AM
they were great on SNL.

HEADSTRUCK
02-25-2007, 09:16 AM
i thought they blew ass

mountmccabe
02-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I might as well do it here too.

Intervention:
pWP3jkNf0TU

Keep the Car Running:
F6y1p7yzyck

devachan
02-25-2007, 11:11 AM
OOooh. Thanks John.

Ps. I totally wasn't expecting the smashing of the guitar at the end. Also, how many instruments is considered too many? They are on a precarious cliff of musical instrumentation. Maybe they can rename themselves The Arcade Fire Orchestra?

xanman86
02-25-2007, 11:51 AM
AWSOME!

DeltaSigChi4
02-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Mountmccabe for mod.

E

suprefan
02-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Its called a hurdy gurdy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy_gurdy

Yeah its a whack instrument. If I recall correctly Sting played one for a song of his a couple albums ago.

PineapplePete
02-25-2007, 12:28 PM
was that a mandolin that win was playing for Keep The Car Running?

Lounge Fly
02-25-2007, 01:01 PM
The guitar smashing was weird, because it was the Arcade Fire. But it was also funny.

Yeah it was. I usually always think smashing your guitar is retarded but to each their own I guess. I liked the first song more than the second but both were interesting.
Also somebody mentioned youtube and NBC. SNL skits and music are probably the hardest thing to come by on the internet. It actually pisses me off how anal they are about taking them off but if its there it should be gone by monday because NBC will threaten to sue.
I was pissing myself during the skit where the 4 guys were listening to 'Danny's song' and telling stories. Rainns story about being in the Bennigans ladies room at the Newark airport was fantastic. Of course I DVR'ed it and watched it drunk at 3am when I got home so that may have had something to do with it.

braundiggity
02-25-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm generally mixed on guitar smashing, but it happens less these days, and I never expected it from Arcade Fire, but that performance was just so impassioned, it really worked for me. I felt like I'd just watched something culturally significant. Actually, Nirvana came to mind. I hope this is Arcade Fire's coming out party.

SNL's just been really cool lately. In '07, they've had The Shins, Lily Allen, and Arcade Fire. That's as many cool acts as I remember at all in the last few years.

And that bar singing sketch was indeed hilarious.

summerkid
02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm generally mixed on guitar smashing, but it happens less these days, and I never expected it from Arcade Fire, but that performance was just so impassioned, it really worked for me. I felt like I'd just watched something culturally significant. Actually, Nirvana came to mind. I hope this is Arcade Fire's coming out party.

SNL's just been really cool lately. In '07, they've had The Shins, Lily Allen, and Arcade Fire. That's as many cool acts as I remember at all in the last few years.

I agree.

Lounge Fly
02-25-2007, 02:39 PM

I laughed so hard the guys pee came out my nose!!!!

grungysabbathemohater
02-25-2007, 02:43 PM

Arcade Fire culturally significant on the same level as Nirvana?!
hahahahahahahahahahaha! :lool Oh my god! That's the funniest thing I have ever read on here. I think I just pissed myself. Its amusing how serious Arcade Fire fans take themselves and the band.
Funeral is a good album....but have you heard the new album? WOW. So much for 'cultural significance'. Their new album is the most disappointing pile of rubbish I have ever heard. They will not reach many new fans with Neon Bible, because it sucks ass bad!
'Culturally significant.....Nirvana"! hahahaha, I love it!:laughyou

lowfront
02-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Neon bible is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Courtney
02-25-2007, 03:00 PM
The guitar smashing is so damn funny, because it's so incongruous. I'm sorry, but Arcade Fire just isn't a guitar smashing sort of band, no matter how passionately they play a particular set.

PineapplePete
02-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Neon Bible is AMAZING!!! I've been listening to it at least once a day since i downloaded it. Antichrist Television Blues is one of the best songs i've ever heard. It raises questions as to the purpose of god and is defiantly the most epic song on the album or even ever. My Body is A Cage is a heartbreaking song of self-estrangement and reclusion. Win's chanting "set my body free" is one of the most heat-felt and endearing things i've ever heard. if you dont think the Arcade Fire are culturally significant, you are an ignorant fool

Courtney
02-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Antichrist Television Blues is one of the best songs i've ever heard. It raises questions as to the purpose of god and is defiantly the most epic song on the album or even ever.

Ahahahahahaha. What are you smoking, and can I have some?

PineapplePete
02-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I dont share

grungysabbathemohater
02-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Culturally significant on the level of Nirvana? (Read Braundiggity's post).....
I don't think so.
Arcade Fire is a good band. Perhaps one of the best or the best current indie rock band. But culturally significant on the level of Nirvana? YOU are a fool if you believe that.
They are simply a good band that have brought 'nerd rock' to the forefront.

I bet if Pete Townsend saw the SNL performance of Win Butler smashing his guitar, he would have laughed his ass off. That was truly comical.

Lounge Fly
02-25-2007, 03:33 PM
They are simply a good band that have brought 'nerd rock' to the forefront.

That made me laugh.
I agree on the other stuff you're saying. I would probably listen to Arcade Fire over Nirvana(not a huge fan of either really but I'm starting to like Arcade Fire more and more) but I'm not fool enough to dismiss Nirvana's place in music's history.
Also when I was watching their performances last night I couldn't help but wonder if thats really their personalities or if everybody just tries to act way more weird than they are just for effect. And before anybody hits me wiht 'just cause its not your style its not weird' I'm just saying there seems to be a lot of that now. Even in movies like 'running with scissors' and 'I heart huckabees' or however you say it. I can't help but sometimes think some of the mindset is 'lets just be really fucking weird and different and people will think its genius'

PineapplePete
02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm not saying that they are as culturally significant as Nirvana...Nirvana carried a whole movment. What i am saying is thatg Arcade Fire are not just another indie band. They are significant in that they brought sincerity back to music. When was the last time you heard someone put so much heart into their singing? and yea....the guitar thing was preety akward. THe arcade fire are not

simply a good band that have brought 'nerd rock' to the forefront.

i mean...what the hell is 'nerd rock'