PDA

View Full Version : Betty White to Host S.N.L. on May 8th!!!

JewFace
03-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Pinch yourself. This is not a dream. People (complete article quoted below) has confirmed that Betty White is hosting a special Mother's Day edition of SNL on May 8 which also feature appearances by Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch!

Fuck marriage equality, funding for public universities and getting a pickle more fans than Nickelback. This is the first Facebook campaign I've ever supported that actually delivered. This is the biggest gay victory since Lawrence v. Texas. I happen to be moving to NY next week and I have a couple of friends at NBC. I'm going to milk them for all it's worth for a ticket as I don't think there's any chance of scoring a ticket the regular way.

From People.com (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20350436,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines)...

Betty White to Host Saturday Night Live May 8
By Stephen M. Silverman
Thursday March 11, 2010 06:30 AM EST

It's official: Betty White will host NBC's Saturday Night Live on May 8, WNBC News announced Thursday morning.

Besides featuring the Golden Girl, who was the subject of a Facebook campaign to get her the gig, the special Mother's Day episode will also reunite six former female SNL cast members, most of whom happen to be moms: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch.

The show's creator-producer, Lorne Michaels, tells USA Today that the Facebook campaign, which kicked in after White's Super Bowl commercial for Snickers, "took on a groundswell. [White as the host] isn't something we would have said no to, [but the campaign] validated that, 'Oh, that'd be fun' It was the outpouring of affection from fans, and we feel the same way."

And while White, 88, has no children of her own except for her golden retriever, Pontiac Michaels justifies her Mother's Day appearance by explaining, "She's the mother of us all in comedy."

stuporfly
03-11-2010, 05:06 AM
An old broad forgetting her lines and the unwelcome return of the likes Rachel Dratch, Molly Shannon and the vastly overrated Tina Fey? When does it air again?

lickety_spit
03-11-2010, 05:15 AM
i hope she can hold out until then.

3wulfmoonz
03-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Betty White sent Rue Mcclanahan a card when she had a stroke. It said something like "I hope you die then I'll be the last Golden Girl." God I love Betty White.

guedita
03-11-2010, 07:34 AM
^ She did! Betty White is fucking hilarious. 88 years old...awesome.

marooko
03-11-2010, 07:59 AM
An old broad forgetting her lines and the unwelcome return of the likes Rachel Dratch, Molly Shannon and the vastly overrated Tina Fey? When does it air again?

:).

So what exactly is the gay victory? I missed it. What's the game we're playing? I'm assuming the straights lost this one? I'm confused. Not like that, silly.

weeklymix
03-11-2010, 08:28 AM
She'll probably get even less air time than Zach Galifianakis. Wasn't he in 3 sketches for a total of 12 minutes including his monologue or something like that?

guedita
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Yes, he wasn't in very many. That's why their making it a "Mother's Day" tribute and getting tons of other female SNL alums, so that she's not overwhelmed, since it is a live taping.

JewFace
03-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Anyone who fails to note that Betty White hosting SNL is a greater event than Obama's election, man's first walk on the moon, and the signing of the Deceleration of Independence combined is clearly missing the point.

Silly hyperbole aside, I fail to see how anyone would not be excited about this. This woman's an institution. She's a veteran comedienne who was there at the infancy of television, has continued to work almost non-stop ever since, and at 88 still has impeccable comedic timing and delivery. You're either with Betty White or with the terrorists.

wmgaretjax
03-11-2010, 10:17 AM
How hard do you have to work to be this cliched?

Hannahrain
03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I did two semesters at Betty White back when I was in my late teens.

weeklymix
03-11-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't like the Snickers ad.

JewFace
03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah it was alright. The Aretha Franklin/Liza Minnelli one was funnier.

Mr.Nipples
03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
fuck betty white

juloxx
03-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I was somewhat confused/almost excited because I thought the thread was about Berry White. Alas, it is not

Fuck Betty white

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I was somewhat confused/almost excited because I thought the thread was about Berry White. Alas, it is not

Fuck Betty white

http://www.stonerforums.com/lounge/members/osprey-albums-images-interwebs-some-my-stuff-too-picture2113-betty-white-funny-hell-you.jpg

zajaa
03-11-2010, 12:48 PM
:). So what exactly is the gay victory?

still kinda wondering this myself..

weeklymix
03-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Fuck Betty white

Barry White died a while ago.

Devin the Dude
03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
DON'T BRING IT UP AGAIN!!

Devin the Dude
03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Also, Betty White ftw. :pulse

J~$$$$
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I just want to put you on the end of my boot and fling you over the fence like a two day old turd.

guedita
03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Barry White died a while ago.

juloxx likes Berry White, not Barry White.

TxL7MKsGoPo

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2010, 02:05 PM
juloxx likes Berry White, not Barry White.

FEjnm1Eaj-o

Astrid
03-11-2010, 02:46 PM
i thought betty white died a few weeks ago.

i was very upset.

i guess this makes up for it?

Devin the Dude
03-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I just want to put you on the end of my boot and fling you over the fence like a two day old turd.

Why would you have left a turn on your boot for two days?

J~$$$$
03-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Why would you have left a turn on your boot for two days?

Do you want mill over your answer and try a little harder before you mash it out again?

sbessiso
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
this is going to be amazing. CANNOT WAIT

J~$$$$
03-11-2010, 03:06 PM
What is it with the golden girls and homosexuality? Is it some secret desire to retire to boca raton with some asian arm candy and gossip all day long?

Mr.Nipples
03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
designing women was farrrrr gayer than golden girls. they should have mesach taylor host...

sbessiso
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
honestly J$$, its a question I wonder myself. Almost every single gay ive met LOVES The GG as much as I do.

stuporfly
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
The working title when they shot the Golden Girls pilot was Four Miserable Old Cunts.

JustSteve
03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
that was the unofficial name when this message board started, too.

beavington
03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
What is it with the golden girls and homosexuality? Is it some secret desire to retire to boca raton with some asian arm candy and gossip all day long?

its a bunch of women who talk about sex and are pretty frank (for network television) and us gay men love women like that for some reason.

Look at all the gay icons all of them are considered a bitch in some form.

M Sparks
03-11-2010, 03:59 PM
I did two semesters at Betty White back when I was in my late teens.

(snort)

So, Betty White is cool and all, but why is this a thing? Seems like she was on a popular TV show in 75 when SNL started, and another popular one in the 80s...why wasn't she ever on then?

J~$$$$
03-11-2010, 04:18 PM
its a bunch of women who talk about sex and are pretty frank (for network television) and us gay men love women like that for some reason.

Look at all the gay icons all of them are considered a bitch in some form.
My comment was more of a "PSYCHE!!!!!" I get the connection. I'm just trying to appeal to a homosexual audience with my sideways comment.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
(snort)

So, Betty White is cool and all, but why is this a thing? Seems like she was on a popular TV show in 75 when SNL started, and another popular one in the 80s...why wasn't she ever on then?

because the gays were still being forced into the closet back then, and nobody gives a fuck what women think

york707
03-11-2010, 05:33 PM
hahaha I just had a drink with my boss and co-worker who was talking about how his partner loves the Golden Girls and even said it was like "catnip" to him.

BKsaysAction!
03-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I must be tired I swore this said Berry White to host S.N.L. and for a quick second thought we could finally reanimate someone back from the dead and they chose Berry White.

M Sparks
03-11-2010, 08:56 PM
because the gays were still being forced into the closet back then, and nobody gives a fuck what women think

HLt8oCYg9aE

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Bea Arthur was a man.

JewFace
03-11-2010, 10:34 PM
(snort)

According to USA Today, Lorne Michaels had invited her to host several times in SNL's history, but she declined because she thought the show was "so New York" and she... wasn't. I think the massive outpouring of affection from the Facebook campaign changed her mind.

How hard do you have to work to be this cliched?

I can tell you why Im personally excited about this. It has nothing to do with the fact that shes popular with gay audiences. Its just a couple of plain, simple reasons:

Shes funny. She was funny when she started in the business in the 40s, shes still funny now. The woman has comedy in her DNA. I just love that she's dedicated her life to making people laugh and that she's still doing it at 88.

Shes an icon. You might not personally care for her, but a person who has worked consistently in television from the 40s on and had a string of major successes like Golden Girls, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Password, Match Game and guest appearances on dozens of shows is an icon. I love icons. Gay or not. Its the same reason I like it when Clint Eastwood does good. While its always nice to see an exciting new talent make his/her debut, theres something I find incredibly satisfying about seeing an iconic figure succeed in the autumn of her life.

As for the gay thing? Im not going to pretend that Im an LGBT cultural expert, but I would speculate that there are many reasons why Golden Girls had a huge gay audience in the 80s and 90s and continues to attract new audiences. Again, this is just speculation on my part...

Gay men love women of a certain age (and beyond). These women are often ignored or just invisible to the straight male majority. I think gay men are drawn to them because these women are at a stage in their lives when they dont have to give a fuck about what a man thinks of them. They can be a bit more free, independent, have more character and, frankly, be a bit nutty and weird if they want to be.

The writing. It was consistently funny and often very snarky. Gay men love a bit of snark, right? These women had sharp, cutting remarks for each other week in and week out. We knew Blanche had an active sex life, but Sophia had a new way to call her a slut every week.

The dye in the wool liberal outspokenness of the show. They talked about AIDS, coming out of the closet, gay marriage and other LGBT issues. I hate those didactic 'very special episode' sitcom crutches, but we live in a post Will & Grace world in which LGBT representation on shows like Glee, Brothers & Sisters and Ugly Betty is pretty much taken for granted. How many other shows in the 80s were talking openly about these issues? I can't think of any. And this was in the era in which gays were invisible to their government and largely absent from the media. I was teething at the time, so perhaps someone like GPS can comment. I can imagine it probably meant something to see yourself represented and acknowledged, even if it was in a silly sitcom with four old women.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Betty White is, quite possibly, less of an icon than Grace Jones, and that's fucking hard to do.

This is a victory only for people who just choose completely arbitrary things to be "victories".

Hannahrain
03-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Bea Arthur was a man.

If anything, she was a god. A chiseled Adonis.

Gribbz
03-11-2010, 10:37 PM
In other news, SNL is still terribly unfunny.

JewFace
03-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Betty White is, quite possibly, less of an icon than Grace Jones, and that's fucking hard to do.

This is a victory only for people who just choose completely arbitrary things to be "victories".

Dude. Is it not abundantly clear that I was joking about this being a "gay victory"? Apparently not. For the record, I was not being serious when I said that a former Golden Girl hosting SNL does more for gay rights than the Supreme Court's decision in Lawrence v. Texas.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I just skim. I still don't get why people wanted this, though.

JewFace
03-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I just skim. I still don't get why people wanted this, though.

It's not just her history. It's the fact that she's still funny....

wn1r1jb4--k

(Stupid Funny or Die has disabled embedding, but you can still watch it.)

stuporfly
03-12-2010, 05:39 AM
I greatly prefer The Mary Tyler Moore Show to Golden Girls, but I really do like Betty White in general. Unfortunately, she's been reduced over the past decade-plus to two-bit old lady gags about being horny or bitchy (or both). That's funny once or twice, but it's not enough to make me get excited about her appearance on live television. But in fairness, I can't remember the last time I was "excited" about anything related to Saturday Night Live.

Maybe if they book the ghost of Harvey Korman...

RageAgainstTheAoki
03-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Great news! Nice to see a real comedic talent host instead of another athlete. I loved Zach Galifianakis' appearance last week. Just the right mix of odd ball and subversive with that guy.

guedita
03-12-2010, 08:18 AM
In case everyone doesn't know, Mitchell Hurwitz, the man who wrote the pilot for Arrested Development, was also a writer for The Golden Girls.

SoulDischarge
03-12-2010, 08:26 AM
What is it with bullet points and homosexuality?

minogueCOMMAk
05-08-2010, 07:45 PM
TONIGHT.

HunterGather
05-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey, what happened to Jewface?

HunterGather
05-08-2010, 08:41 PM
This is lolz so far.
Having the past SNL ladies on the show is great too

gaypalmsprings
05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
mzjaIAtrawM

HunterGather
05-08-2010, 09:07 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/w4rj5.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/ri6lus.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/4kaczc.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/x0z584.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/fw2fqr.jpg

minogueCOMMAk
05-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It was nice to see Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, and Molly Shannon

HunterGather
05-08-2010, 10:20 PM
The whole episode was great!

minogueCOMMAk
05-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I missed the first 30 minutes, but Hulu will catch me up. The last hour was great, though.
Betty White always does such crude characters. It is always so funny to see an adorable old woman say "Wizard of Ass".

HunterGather
05-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah, you'll really wanna see the first half hour.

minogueCOMMAk
05-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I will definetly check it out. I normally feel meh about the MacGruber skits, but I died when Betty White played dead. It was so subtle, but it cracked me up.

rage patton
05-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I love MacGruber skits.

minogueCOMMAk
05-08-2010, 10:47 PM
I love MacGruber skits.
I bet you are geeking over the movie coming out!

J~$$$$
05-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Ohhhhhh my fucking god that digital short hahahahahahahaha

J~$$$$
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Seriously it might be because im really fucking high but this is one of the funniest episodes I have seen in a while.

minogueCOMMAk
05-08-2010, 11:12 PM
J~$$$$,
The digital short was fucking great. They are usually my favorite part of the episode, but this one was one of my favorites. It was so unexpected. I totally agree with this being one of the funniest episodes. I figured it would be because Betty White is hilarious.

stuporfly
05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Everyone in this picture makes me want to punch a puppy.

HunterGather
05-09-2010, 05:02 PM
haha

BTW, if you go on Hulu, you can see skits they did in dress rehearsal but were cut out of the final show (Debbie Downer is one of them!)

And if you wanna see the digital short, gotta look at Youtube or something, because I guess they didn't clear the rights for the music.

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-09-2010, 11:50 PM
haha
BTW, if you go on Hulu, you can see skits they did in dress rehearsal but were cut out of the final show (Debbie Downer is one of them!)

Nice! Thanks for the tip. I was wondering how Debbie Downer didn't make it in there. I think the show was maybe overstuffed with former SNL ladies. There wasn't really enough time to put all their talents to use and Betty seemed strong enough to hold up throughout the whole thing without their support. Guess that was the calculated risk Lorne Michaels had to take. I love Tina Fey to death on 30 Rock, but I guess when she's not the central character she tends to fade into the background. She didn't really add anything to this episode. The whole episode made me miss Maya Rudolph, though. I love that woman's nutty energy. Did she get fired? I'll never understand that. She's the only one who matches Wiig in talent and versatility. That was also probably the easiest SNL Kristin Wiig's had in years.

marooko
05-10-2010, 12:42 AM
I saw this. I enjoyed it. I'm tired and need to g to bed now.

sbessiso
05-10-2010, 01:25 AM
how lame is it that I was only able to stay up for like 15 minutes of it before passing out

HunterGather
05-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Are you saying you were just rly tired or you were bored? (!)

Because if you were legitimately bored, I'm going to have to revoke your u-know-wut card.

---

Oh, and as far as I know Maya didn't get fired. I think she just got pregnant and decided it was time to leave (?)
Ana Gastayer did the same, I think.

sbessiso
05-10-2010, 01:41 AM
No tired! seeing all those classic SNL ladies really brought a tear to my eye. such an amazing idea and from the sound of it, a pretty solid episode

HunterGather
05-10-2010, 01:45 AM
woo

thatfinkleygirl
05-10-2010, 03:24 AM
What an amazing episode. I really miss all those fantastic SNL ladies, Maya and Ana especially.

thestripe
05-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Jay-Z killed. Just say'n.

humanoid
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Jay-Z sounded pretty damn good...that had to be the longest ever musical performance on SNL...

full on idle
05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Everyone in this picture makes me want to punch a puppy.

what is wrong with you?

I thought the episode was great except for the Macgruber skits which weren't and have never been funny and I can't BELIEVE they're making a movie of it. Also Jay Z was wonderful.

faxman75
05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
what is wrong with you?

I thought the episode was great except for the Macgruber skits which weren't and have never been funny and I can't BELIEVE they're making a movie of it. Also Jay Z was wonderful.

I heard Ryan Phillippe (sp?) on Stern the other morning insisting the movie was not going to be like the skits at all and that the movie makes fun of all 80's action flicks. I liked this episode of SNL so much I might watch it again next week! Now there's something I haven't done in well over a decade.

ETA it wasn't the other morning. I'm actually way behind. It was last month when I heard it.

rage patton
05-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I bet you are geeking over the movie coming out!

I am actually.

PEPSUBER!

minogueCOMMAk
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I am actually.

PEPSUBER!

I am as well. However, my reasons are a lot different than yours.

rage patton
05-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I am intrigued, do tell. Why are you excited about the MacGruber movie?

humanoid
05-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I think the MacGruber movie might be surprisingly awesome....

Jorma Taccone is writing and directing it, and I find him to be rather funny.

minogueCOMMAk
05-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I find most of what any members of The Lonely Island touch. Jorma, Akiva, and Andy Samberg. I was disappointed in Hot Rod for that very reason, but all their internet videos and skits they do on SNL just crack me up.

I am intrigued, do tell. Why are you excited about the MacGruber movie?

What I said above, but mostly because Ryan Philipe is in it and I'm a woman, so you know... I just want to oogle.

humanoid
05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I love Hot Rod...

minogueCOMMAk
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I love Hot Rod...

Overall, it was terrible, but that is just my opinion. I had high expectations though, which I find to usually disappoint regardless. It did have some memorable parts that gave me a chuckle. The cool beans song was random, so that got a laugh.

rage patton
05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I was disapointed with Hot Rod the first time I watched it, the second time I watched I almost died laughing. And I had no idea Jorma was writing MacGruber. Now I am even more excited. I love the Lonely Island.

humanoid
05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
writing and directing MacGruber

eskamo951
05-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Betty White is more metal than I will ever be. Ever.