PDA

View Full Version : The Great American Music Hall/Slim's Thread

PassiveTheory
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Both are pretty cool venues, and since both have a great working relationship with KZSC, I get to see a lot of shows at both locations.

Anyone going to the Clientele show tomorrow night? If so, I envy you deeply.

ragingdave
03-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Love GAMH but Slim's is definitely THE vibe kill.
I have yet to see a show that hasn't blown at Slim's because of the fucking pillars, the slow ass and too few bartenders and the lame-ass hipsters that seem to dominate the joint.
BRMC tomorrow will HOPEFULLy reverse the trend.

shakermaker113
03-08-2010, 10:47 PM
I love both venues, but please stop making these threads.

tubescape
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
not sure if anyone in SF has been following ABC's crackdown on some of the all ages venues that serve alcohol like GAMH, but here is a decent summary/read on it...
http://www.thebaybridged.com/2010/03/08/music-and-five-ways-to-think-about-the-crackdown-on-sf-venues/

it would be a shame if these places were closed down because of it, epecially the stupid food-to-drink ratio guideline that certain joints must adhere to or be cited. very antiquated law that needs revision.

wmgaretjax
03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
please stop making these threads.

fuckin' hell. seriously. it's retarded.

tubescape
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
someone thought it was a good idea to have sections on this board for certain cities, so what else do you want to talk about? SF has some great venues and musicians seem to genuinely appreciate playing in the historic spaces.

*edit - looks like section was changed from SF to Norcal.

wmgaretjax
03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
yeah, i mean. there is a whole body of discourse that could be afforded to the ceiling fixtures at Slim's alone. that said, i'll probably stick to threads about individual shows.

guedita
03-09-2010, 11:42 AM
The idea was that the shows at these venues would be talked about in these threads, so that tons of threads for individual shows wouldn't be started.

wmgaretjax
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
personally, i would much rather glance at the main SF page and see shows posted (and maybe one "new shows!" thread)... rather than waltz over to 5 different venue threads. but i just figured that was common sense.

guedita
03-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I agree with you on that, not a huge fan of the change either. But if the SF Music scene is going to have it's own sub-forum I figured it would be easier to divide things by venue. I'm still going to discuss shows in the regular SF thread, too.

wmgaretjax
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
sorry, unclear terms. i'll try again:

i would much rather glance at the main SF forum and see show threads posted.

guedita
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess seeing show threads is easier, in retrospect. I just like things to be as minimally cluttered as possible--oh well.

sk8r408
03-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Did anyone check out BRMC at Slims last night? I'm gonna go to their free In-Store at Amoeba tonight. Should be cool.

shakermaker113
03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I did. it was good! not their best, but still good. I love those guys. I'll be at amoeba too.

PotVsKtl
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I don't have much motivation to just be opening a bunch of venue threads to see who is playing at any particular time. I don't care where a show is, I can manage to find a way all 5 miles across the city to the ones I like.

sk8r408
03-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Did anyone check out BRMC at Slims last night? I'm gonna go to their free In-Store at Amoeba tonight. Should be cool.

I did. it was good! not their best, but still good. I love those guys. I'll be at amoeba too.

From the Amoeba show...

http://img175.yfrog.com/img175/3262/6yr.jpg
Not the best angle, but you get the idea.

chiapet
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Anyone going to the Clientele show tomorrow night? If so, I envy you deeply.

Did you end up going? I heard it was a good show. I'd planned on going but was sick last week so didn't make the effort. Feel a little bad as an ex-coworker is in the band, and I try to support friends and coworkers who go off and become pop stars, but I haven't talked to him in a couple of years so I don't feel too bad. :)

Great American is one of my favorite venues in the city. I miss living in the neighborhood, when I could just walk over and see what was going on (during the dotcom bust, plenty of shows did not sell out, so more often than not I could find something to do). Anyway...

Going to see Fuck Buttons on May 2nd at GAMH. Thinking about the Church show next month, but not sure.

guedita
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I want to see Fuck Buttons, too!

Also, when I was at the GAMH for Atlas Sound, I saw security go into the crowd two separate times and drag people out...for smoking weed, I think. Are they always that strict/tough?

rangelife
03-25-2010, 04:23 PM
GAMH is such an awesome venue, I just love how the acoustics fill the room there. I don't think it is any coincidence that several of the best shows I've been to were there, such as Joanna Newsom in 2006 or Atlas Sound/Broadcast last year.

I've noticed the bouncers there can get a little anal. I was leaning against this table near the stage and a guy threatened to throw me out after he saw me do it twice.

GnarVee
03-26-2010, 08:11 AM
dredg @ GAMH MAY 21st.

stoked on life.