PDA

View Full Version : Just announced shows in San Francisco

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

chiapet
03-19-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm pretty pissed about the lack of entry for pre-sale ticket holders. Just among our group, there were about 10 people who didn't get to use their tickets. There were a fair number of people being turned away outside, too.

It pisses me off that when these types of events go down in other cities I travel to, there are rarely issues like this... the events don't get oversold, there's space to dance, the venues are kept reasonably clean, the crowds are reasonable, people look out for each other, people can get trashed without turning into assholes. Practically every underground I've gone to in SF has suffered from being overcrowded, security having poor control over the crowd, and terrible logistics in terms of lines/restrooms/water availability.

Ross1492
03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
This is not a problem unique to san francisco. Listen to the recent RAex podcast discussing underground parties in London. Exactly the same problems, on a larger scale. Nice that we have plenty of other quality options. Truth be told, that's basically all we have. Underground house/techno parties featuring top talent are not the common occurence they once were.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
My shoes were also a total loss. The location of the venue no doubt contributed to the crowd problems. The prospect of drinking past 2 am in Nob Hill likely attracted a large number of people more interested in partying than techno. The Compound never suffered these types on account of its far-flung location. No one was cabbing out to Bayview on a lark. All of this could have been avoided w/ enforcement of a hard capacity cap. I'd be interested to know how many tickets were sold prior to the event.

200? You had to buy a ticket through RA, and when you did it automatically added you to the RSVP list. The RSVP count was 200 when it closed.

Also they said they were sending an email with the address but I never got it, I ended up getting their message through facebook. Not a well-run party.

unknown
03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I was pretty bummed about the Magda show but I'm glad we ended up leaving. Sounds like I would've had another shit show experience - that Factory venue needs to be condemned. What a stupid decision to hold such a large-scale event there. Overall - a very fun weekend in SF to see friends and eat great food, but music-wise it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I sure do appreciate Seattle a lot more.

We calculated that we got about 35 minutes of enjoyable music and dancing in at the show. Camo & Krooked are a fucking joke, what a terrible, stupid, obnoxious set. High Contrast was pretty great but it would've been nice to have more space. I left after his set because I couldn't take the terrible venue any longer.

Robin
03-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I feel pretty bad for not really remembering who all came to the hotel. Seemed like there was a lot traffic coming in and out, and I was wicked drunk, anyways. But whoever stopped by, thanks for coming!!

I only got one thing (accidentally) stolen from me, and I think I know who did it. *stink eye*

chiapet
03-19-2012, 11:14 AM
We calculated that we got about 35 minutes of enjoyable music and dancing in at the show.

I feel terrible that you guys saw just about the worst of what SF has to offer show and venue wise. There are good venues here and great promoters.. we just picked places that were going to be shit shows (despite the good acts booked). Hopefully sometime you guys can come back for a good show. The stuff at Beatbox & Public Works is usually pretty great.

Max Cady
03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I know this is not the right thread for this, but I live in SF and like to read how you all report on all the updated SF shows. Its much appreciated. Anyway, I also have not logged on in years, but do read on a few threads ever day. So, I guess I should be a more active instead of passive contributor. I did want to share with you folks a story about this last weekend. I happened to be in Vegas this last weekend for work with a few friends of mine. We went to the Miike Snow show at Tao a club in the Venetian. We were told through the promoter and a friend of a friend that works there that this would be a full band show. We we arrived, there were, in all seriousness, at least 600 people outside w/out tickets. Inside, totally packed at 1000PM, max capacity. We planned in advance and walked in, so that was fine. Ok, here is the point, once inside, it was clear that is was not a full band, and only a DJ set. Then at 200AM The three guys from Miike Snow hit the DJ booth, proceed to play paddling out, silvia, animal, and snippets of other tracks for a grand total of 12-14 minutes. Then highfives from them, crowd goes nuts, and they leave. Thats it, shows over, back to the Tao house DJ. Of all the shows and DJ sets I've been to in my 30 years of life, I've never seen a situation such as this. It was totally underwhelming. It was not as bad at that Jack White clip playing one note, but the feeling was similar. But, the funny thing was that the crowd seemed to be content with the performance and expectations were met. Bizarre and in a sadistic way, pretty funny. Hoping for a better showing at Coachella.
Cheers
Jeff

thefrush
03-19-2012, 11:28 AM
What a ridiculously incredible weekend. Had such a blast.

What venue did they end up using for Magda?

fikus222
03-19-2012, 11:49 AM
This week, Hot Chip tickets go on sale: APE presale 3/22 -3/24 & TM onsale 3/25

chiapet
03-19-2012, 11:56 AM
What venue did they end up using for Magda?

An auto repair shop that is apparently currently up for sale. There were cars and car parts around the garage that you entered through. That was the part that was full of people smoking (it would seem that there wasn't an outdoor area to smoke in - and they didn't want people on the street). It was pretty bad.

BlackSwan
03-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I know this is not the right thread for this, but I live in SF and like to read how you all report on all the updated SF shows. Its much appreciated. Anyway, I also have not logged on in years, but do read on a few threads ever day. So, I guess I should be a more active instead of passive contributor. I did want to share with you folks a story about this last weekend. I happened to be in Vegas this last weekend for work with a few friends of mine. We went to the Miike Snow show at Tao a club in the Venetian. We were told through the promoter and a friend of a friend that works there that this would be a full band show. We we arrived, there were, in all seriousness, at least 600 people outside w/out tickets. Inside, totally packed at 1000PM, max capacity. We planned in advance and walked in, so that was fine. Ok, here is the point, once inside, it was clear that is was not a full band, and only a DJ set. Then at 200AM The three guys from Miike Snow hit the DJ booth, proceed to play paddling out, silvia, animal, and snippets of other tracks for a grand total of 12-14 minutes. Then highfives from them, crowd goes nuts, and they leave. Thats it, shows over, back to the Tao house DJ. Of all the shows and DJ sets I've been to in my 30 years of life, I've never seen a situation such as this. It was totally underwhelming. It was not as bad at that Jack White clip playing one note, but the feeling was similar. But, the funny thing was that the crowd seemed to be content with the performance and expectations were met. Bizarre and in a sadistic way, pretty funny. Hoping for a better showing at Coachella.
Cheers
Jeff

That is out of control. I was bummed they announced it so late and I couldn't go... Glad I didn't.

GeezrRckr
03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
An auto repair shop that is apparently currently up for sale. There were cars and car parts around the garage that you entered through. That was the part that was full of people smoking (it would seem that there wasn't an outdoor area to smoke in - and they didn't want people on the street). It was pretty bad.
Holy fucking shit. That's just unreal. Man, it is so lucky that the place didn't go up in flames. Jeezus.

zimmy1222
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM

There were people smoking downstairs too. craziness that was.

Ross1492
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Saftey hazards were legion. Part of me is always discomforted by a subterranean dancefloor.

chiapet
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
It was a bad night for show venues. The Factory apparently had some sort of sewage leak (or maybe just a plumbing problem), as people were being warned they should get their stuff out of coat check due to raw sewage seeping into that room. Hahahaha.

Ross1492
03-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Oh dear. Sounds like a frat party gone wrong.

shamal
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
nice to see hot chip is coming back to town. i'll definitely be at that show

flea73
03-19-2012, 12:46 PM
That sucks Friday turned out to be such a shit show. I had a blast at PW for L & B/Ripperton. The loft was actually 2/3 empty for Ripperton, which is a complete shame because the part of his set that I caught was magnificent! I guess I'm used to the warehouse parties in LA because the Magda venue didn't bother me at all. Then again I wasn't drinking and didn't have to use the restroom. Closed the night out with a little breakfast at Sparky's 24 hour diner before catching BART back to the airport.

Zimmy it was nice to meet you at Magda. Glad I got to see/meet ONE person not from LA while I was there. :p

chiapet
03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Great write-up on Bonaparte, who is playing at Public Works on Wednesday. Can't wait. :)

http://www.sfbg.com/noise/2012/03/16/get-ready-bonaparte

guedita
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Hahaha Robin I have your item. I found it in my pocket after waking up at 7 PM the next day and was quite confused as to why I had it.

Also, they duct taped the inside of the door to the Magda show shut to try and prevent the rowdy crowd outside from prying it open to get inside. A security guard had to peel the tape off to let me and this other chick out of the venue. I was like, "Duct tape, huh?" Okay.

RoughSteez
03-19-2012, 02:02 PM
That sucks Friday turned out to be such a shit show. I had a blast at PW for L & B/Ripperton. The loft was actually 2/3 empty for Ripperton, which is a complete shame because the part of his set that I caught was magnificent! I guess I'm used to the warehouse parties in LA because the Magda venue didn't bother me at all. Then again I wasn't drinking and didn't have to use the restroom. Closed the night out with a little breakfast at Sparky's 24 hour diner before catching BART back to the airport.

Zimmy it was nice to meet you at Magda. Glad I got to see/meet ONE person not from LA while I was there. :p

I'm with you on all of that. Had a blast dancing to Ripperton, and then cabbing it over to Magda (terrific set!) which I didn't encounter anything off-putting, except the mud on the ground that wrecked my shoes. All in all a fantastic weekend and I'm glad I got to meet up with Flea and meet Emtgreg.

Sorry to hear about all the boardies that weren't able to make it in. I would be furious if I paid for presale ticket and was turned away, hopefully they offer some sort of refund. That whole debacle must have died down just as we showed up ~230am.

lt.roast.a.botch
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Cheers
Jeff

Was at TAO as well for a bachelor party. I asked the bottle service girl what time Miike Snow was going on and how long they would play and she told me acts that are booked at TAO will play from 15min-1hr depending on how they feel. So basically never go to TAO to see an artist.

PotVsKtl
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
So basically never go to TAO

chiapet
03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
The promoter for the Magda event seems interested in addressing the problems that pre-sale ticket holders had with gaining entry to the event. I guess that's a good sign that things may go differently next time?

I'm 0 for 2 with Magda. The last time I tried to see her.... pre-sale ticket holders were not allowed in the venue due to being over capacity. :P

shakermaker113
03-19-2012, 08:33 PM
it now sounds like I made the best decision possible by staying in friday.

Im interested

I'm going. get yourself a ticket.

chiapet
03-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Yea. I had a lot of fun on Friday. Just not at the shows.

Robin
03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Hahaha Robin I have your item. I found it in my pocket after waking up at 7 PM the next day and was quite confused as to why I had it.

I know... it's shiny. It's irresistible.
At least you didn't run around trying to find a gentleman named "Sailor Jerry" to return it to.

andyforpeace
03-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I wonder how likely it is that animal collective plays treasure island after their show at the Hollywood bowl? I wouldn't mind a show at the Greek tho!

sbessiso
03-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Just got my Hot Chip ticket. Stoked! Fingers crossed the new album doesn't suck

CrystalCastlesFreak
03-20-2012, 09:14 PM
AVICII- 6/28, Bill Graham Civic

Woohoo!!!!

shakermaker113
03-21-2012, 07:22 AM
hmm. so elite force is playing that distrik / robot heart bot day / night party at public works in april.

GeezrRckr
03-21-2012, 08:07 AM
when is that and about how much time do you suppose EF will get to play? i really like him and his new EP is great.

chiapet
03-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Well, it's a 15 hour long event, and he's the most notable DJ on the line-up so far so presumably he'd get a decent amount of time. It's on April 28th

GeezrRckr
03-21-2012, 08:16 AM
15 hr set on a Sunday. Fucking brilliant promotion.

chiapet
03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Oops, sorry, it's on a Saturday. April 28. I was looking at the event end time.

I've never been to one of the day time / block parties there, how does that work in the event of rain or general cold/crap weather? Do they only sell enough tickets for the venue itself?

A-Ron
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
There will be in and outs during the day.

chiapet
03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
That's not really what I meant - I was asking ... do they only sell enough tickets to meet the venue's capacity (not including outdoor space)?

A-Ron
03-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Don't know that specifically but looking at the info I got directly from my friends at DISTRIKT it's going to be a clusterfuck. I'll try to find out more info.

chiapet
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Yea, that's what I'm worried about. When you said in/outs did you just mean between the outdoor portion and the venue, or actually being able to leave the event and return later?

I don't know why I'm asking so many questions when realistically I am probably not even going to consider going. Heh.

chiapet
03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Edit: nevermind, ticket claimed

chiapet
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
:D :D :D :D

The Public Works SF
JackHammer Kid Presents: SKRILLEX (Live- Acoustic) at Public Works — Sunday, April 1 at 9:00pm at Public Works.

Edit: The new smiley icons suck and it's not obvious that is a laughing one. :P

OddZilla
03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
....what.

[edit: Oh, April fool's. Right]

sbessiso
03-21-2012, 04:00 PM
hmm. so elite force is playing that distrik / robot heart bot day / night party at public works in april.

oh man. Details!

shakermaker113
03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Edit: nevermind, ticket claimed

huh? what changed your mind so suddenly?

oh man. Details!

http://publicsf.com/events/distrikt-robot-heart-7123

Sat 28th Apr

1:00pm-4:00am $35
Main Room

Elite Force
Scumfrog
Marques Wyatt
Desyn Masiello
Erica Rhone
Ben Seagren
Kramer
Matt Kramer
Layne Loomis
J-Rod
Atish Mehta
and a lot more TBA!!!

sounds like fun to me. day party, elite force, robot heart bot / district promoting. a bit concerned about this "clusterfuck" rumor though.

chiapet
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
No minds were changed, one of our friends is using the ticket. Sorry you can't go, but it does seem like it will be a slightly late night.

shakermaker113
03-21-2012, 05:03 PM
No minds were changed, one of our friends is using the ticket. Sorry you can't go, but it does seem like it will be a slightly late night.

oh. now I get it. reading your two posts in succession it looks like you were saying "I'm not even going to consider the robot heart party" followed by "never mind, I bought a ticket". that seemed odd.

now i realize the second post is about bonaparte.

chiapet
03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Oops, yea, my edit wasn't clear. Sunni was able to claim my other Bonaparte ticket. :)

guedita
03-21-2012, 05:23 PM
If anyone has or has a line on an extra Nicolas Jaar ticket, I'm in search of one for a friend. Thank you in advance.

shakermaker113
03-22-2012, 06:45 AM
Dead Can Dance
Aug. 12: Greek Theater, Oakland, CA, USA

hmm. guess that will be a matinee then.

fikus222
03-22-2012, 07:09 AM
To all who went, how was the Bonaparte show?

chiapet
03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
It was great! Better than I expected them to be, actually, they've gotten a lot better (I think) in the last two years at, you know, playing their instruments and such. Was every bit as theatrical as expected, though the larger props and many of their dancers did not come on tour. The crowd was pretty small, but the main dance floor area between the posts was full-ish. Being that we were dancing right up front, we came home covered in glitter, confetti, bubbles, bubbly, and "blood."

It was hard to get clear pictures in there, but here are a few fuzzy ones.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/547121_10151402151035284_624485283_22678651_155367 5197_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/522038_10151402121420284_624485283_22678537_129668 5825_n.jpg

This one is Salah's
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/538366_10150636638365748_525175747_9308073_1820716 822_n.jpg

GeezrRckr
03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
^nice!

All of you retards that missed last night.....tsk, tsk. That was a spectacle of the best order. I just wished I wasn't so bloody sick; I really wanted to hang. Paying dearly for it today.

chiapet
03-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Yea, I feel awful today. Was coming down with a cold, too, and between getting drunk (WTF? I had 3 drinks - they were pouring reasonably heavily last night), dancing a lot, and getting 4 hours of sleep, I am in bad shape today. Going to have to really convince myself that I need to go to of Montreal tonight, having 5 more shows in the next 4 nights is starting to seem like a really bad idea.

Robin
03-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a bunch of us got sick after this weekend. I guess that orgy was a bad idea.

Vasoline Groove
03-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Yea, I feel awful today. Was coming down with a cold, too, and between getting drunk (WTF? I had 3 drinks - they were pouring reasonably heavily last night), dancing a lot, and getting 4 hours of sleep, I am in bad shape today. Going to have to really convince myself that I need to go to of Montreal tonight, having 5 more shows in the next 4 nights is starting to seem like a really bad idea.

Damn, 5 shows in 4 nights is crazy. Drink lots of fluids and get some rest before you go out, because your not going to want to miss Deerhoof and of Montreal tonight.

sbessiso
03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Bonaparte last night was out of control amazing. Chaotic, punk, theatrical, dancey and just plain WEIRD. :pulse

chiapet
03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Damn, 5 shows in 4 nights is crazy. Drink lots of fluids and get some rest before you go out, because your not going to want to miss Deerhoof and of Montreal tonight.

6 shows in 5 nights, but I already have last night behind me. I know I don't want to miss of Montreal, but I have seen them 6 or 7 times already, and the rest of this weekend are mostly acts I've not seen before........

fikus222
03-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Heidi, from what I've read in the Upcoming Shows thread, Of Montreal has been pretty lackluster this tour, but Deerhoof has been great.

Just purchased my floor tickets to Hot Chip! I'm super excited to see them at The Fox....six months from now ;)

chiapet
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I'd believe that. I love of Montreal, but they can be rather hit or miss, and I don't really like the new album at all. I wasn't that fond of the previous album, either, so I'm wondering if they're not getting to the point where they'll mostly play material I am ambivalent about.

dorkfish
03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Just saw that the Gotye show was moved from the Indy to the Bill Graham Civic. That's a rough change of venue.

chiapet
03-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Geezus... that's insane.

lt.roast.a.botch
03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Wow. Gotye is blowing up at a faster rate then Foster the People. I wonder what stage and time they will get at Coachella.

dorkfish
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Well, they're performing on SNL in between the two Coachellas (thus the change in venue for this show...not sure why they didn't just book another show at Bill Graham while keeping the original date, as well), so that's usually a sign that they'll be a later stage act.

ruskinator
03-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Question for the brain trust: are we expecting Jack White to make a stop in San Francisco? There's clearly a gap for it, but I was wondering if anyone had any insights? My fear is he's doing Outsides Lands and won't do a Fox-type venue this spring/summer.

05/28/12 Eugene, OR Hult Center for the Performing Arts (Silva Concert Hall)
05/30/12 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern United States
05/31/12 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern United States
06/22/12 London Hammersmith Apollo

sbessiso
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
I have the same feeling. Outside Lands would be cool but sucks for us getting robbed of a proper show especially since stupid LA gets two!

andyforpeace
03-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Of Montreal, Deerhoof and Kishi Bashi all were more then what I expected. Awesome night. Awesome poster.

shakermaker113
03-23-2012, 06:55 AM
I have the same feeling. Outside Lands would be cool but sucks for us getting robbed of a proper show especially since stupid LA gets two!

I'm worried it will be some live 105 crap that robs us, not outside lands. isn't may a bit early to be in the OSL radius?

fikus222
03-23-2012, 07:12 AM
3/29 Matthew Dear at Clift Hotel

andyforpeace
03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Live105 looks like it has silversun pickups and garbage most likely on their radar for bfd. Think they could pull jack white too? If they do, I would hope that osl would get him as well. Didn't foster the people play both last year? Atleast we would get two shows out of it : /

shakermaker113
03-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Live105 looks like it has silversun pickups and garbage most likely on their radar for bfd. Think they could pull jack white too? If they do, I would hope that osl would get him as well. Didn't foster the people play both last year? Atleast we would get two shows out of it : /

garbage was the other one I was worried about. the lack of SF date is conspicuous.

fuck live 105.

fikus222
03-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Depending on the price, I'd totally go to BFD for Garbage and the Silversun Pickups (they're a guilty pleasure of mine). Plus, I haven't seen Garbage since '99 when I watched them from my friend's condo balcony as they performed outdoors in downtown Tempe. However, I think Jack White is more likely to perform at OSL over BFD.

tubescape
03-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Depending on the price, I'd totally go to BFD for Garbage and the Silversun Pickups (they're a guilty pleasure of mine).

Funny how commercial success equates to a stigma being placed on bands like Silversun Pickups. No guilty pleasure here, I think they rock pretty hard. I have seen them a few times and their performance at Outside Lands in 2009 was great. They're a band I'll go see anytime they come to town, with the possible exception of making the trek to BFD :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGClOXTBvLw&feature=related

*not my video. Outside Lands channel had a good one with direct soundboard feed, but they seem to have deleted it.

fikus222
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Cool, I've actually never seen SSPU live before. They were at Sasquatch '09, but I chose dinner with Boardies instead of catching their set. A choice I only slightly regret, mostly because Beach House was in the background performing a less than memorable set.

chiapet
03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Yea, I chose SSP at Sasquatch instead of boardies. :)

Nick o
03-23-2012, 10:11 AM
http://absf2.eventbrite.com/

above & beyond!!! doing both nights can't wait

CrystalCastlesFreak
03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Shocked that the 2nd Above & Beyond show hasn't sold out yet.

I love me some Silversun Pickups!! Seen them 3-4 times already, never dissapoint :)

Bought my I Love This City ticket this morning. Woohoo!!!!

andyforpeace
03-23-2012, 01:51 PM
I love watching silversun live. I've seen them more then a handful of times. Never dissappoint. On a side note. I hate the shoreline.

yeahyeahyeahs
03-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Silversun Pickups are terrible

CoachellaBlood
03-23-2012, 07:21 PM
How likely is it that the Hot Chip floor tickets will sell out by next Friday?

fikus222
03-23-2012, 07:40 PM
There's a good chance they'll still be available. FYI, Hot Chip is selling tickets via their site (http://hotchiptickets.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DisplayItems.html) and the Fox Theatre's box office probably has a separate allotment as well.

Edit:

http://www.mailboto.com/ulscommon/F579/salted_april14th.jpg

sbessiso
03-23-2012, 10:47 PM
HOT CHIP

Egull
03-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Did anybody go to Vitalic last night? Seriously, the worst crowd ever.

guedita
03-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Did anybody go to Vitalic last night? Seriously, the worst crowd ever.

At 103 Harriet? Tell us more.

chiapet
03-24-2012, 09:26 AM
8/12 Dead Can Dance @ Greek Theater

andyforpeace
03-24-2012, 11:50 AM
However, I think Jack White is more likely to perform at OSL over BFD.

Looks like he's headed to the uk before bfd. Usually the artist they book for bfd are playin kroq's or other so cal radio festival around the same time.

Egull
03-25-2012, 09:01 AM
At 103 Harriet? Tell us more.

I know this is sarcastic, but exceptionally bad. Even for 103 Harriet.

GeezrRckr
03-25-2012, 09:06 AM
So, who all is going to Nico Jaar tonite? It's been a while since I've had some of you fools over for a pre-show. The time is nigh. Let me know if you're keen.

(and, Cara...I believe I have *two* sweaters of yours that you've left at my place over the years. Time to reclaim, yo)

citizenerased
03-25-2012, 09:23 AM
I love watching silversun live. I've seen them more then a handful of times. Never dissappoint. On a side note. I hate the shoreline.
Yeah shit why couldn't they have played OSL? Shoreline's sound is awful.

chiapet
03-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Oh jeezus... I completely forgot about Nico tonight. I'm having bad follow through on shows this week, but I'll be there.

guedita
03-25-2012, 11:25 AM
I know this is sarcastic, but exceptionally bad. Even for 103 Harriet.

Haha, no I was being genuine. That's too bad, though. Crowds were somewhat aggressive and weird at the 2 Vitalic shows I've seen in the past, too.

zimmy1222
03-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I forgot about Nico too! i came down with the flu last night... bah, gonna try to make it out.

RoyaleWithCheese
03-25-2012, 12:20 PM
5/25 The Twelves @ Mezzanine

npa336
03-25-2012, 04:26 PM
San Francisco... Cults play 4/5 at Slims.

andyforpeace
03-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Kinda cool how Nicolas Jaar opened for himself

Ross1492
03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Kinda cool how Nicolas Jaar opened for himself

Reviews?

chiapet
03-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I was actually quite underwhelmed. The live instrument support sounded promising, but it translated really poorly for me. The tracks which were mostly/all laptop fiddling were the best. The rest bordered on being too jammy/noodly for me, and the live sax was super fucking cheesy... like, embarrassingly cheesy.

I left early, but I've heard the encores he's been doing were a little better (sans band).

GeezrRckr
03-26-2012, 09:30 AM
I agree 100% with Chia's assessment. Fucking live sax....whatever. Although I appreciate his willingness to experiment and mix things up, this failed miserably and I hope he hears about it and gives up the Miles Davis routine.

And, that was not him opening...whoever said that was likely one of the strangely high number of people stoned out of their gourd at this show. Actually, it was a very odd crowd altogether - aforementioned stoners, a large group of bears and the majority of people there were mid-30s or older. Do they play Nico Jaar on Fresh Air or something?

chiapet
03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Opener was a SF dj (Benhja), I'm not familiar with him.

And yea, what was with all the fucking pot smoking??? It was everywhere and constant. I've never seen it so bad at the Indy. Nico doesn't really strike me as a set to get stoned to, but ....

You know it's pretty bad when we start to complain about the amount of smoking.

BlackSwan
03-26-2012, 01:41 PM
That's actually pretty lame. Complaining about people smoking, that is.

fikus222
03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
6/14 Japandroids at The Independent

guedita
03-26-2012, 01:52 PM
6/14 Japandroids at The Independent

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

chiapet
03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
That's actually pretty lame. Complaining about people smoking, that is.

No, pot smoking indoors is just a part of seeing shows in SF. I get that. But this was persistent through the show, as well as a lot of cigarette smoking too. People all around us were lighting up over and over again. The room was hazy the entire time I was there. Incredibly rude. The ventilation there is not good enough to handle that much smoking.

GeezrRckr
03-26-2012, 02:07 PM
But, it was more that it encouraged those people to smoke ciggs in there. That's fucking rude.

Still, the amount of weed smoked was nothing short of a Black Crowes show.

(and, who cares what BS has to say...does he even go to shows any longer?)

shakermaker113
03-27-2012, 06:55 AM
another good choice to skip a show. I'm on a roll.

fikus222
03-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Don't push your luck!

fikus222
03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
05/28 The Roots at The Grand Regency

GeezrRckr
03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
4/29 - Julia Holter @ Rickshaw

CoachellaBlood
03-27-2012, 01:27 PM
6/24 - The Men @ Bottom of the Hill
7/2 - Bass Drum Of Death @ Bottom of the Hill

andyforpeace
03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
05/28 The Roots at The Grand Regency

Why the regency??? Why????

BlackSwan
03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
(and, who cares what BS has to say...does he even go to shows any longer?)

lol people have never cared about what I have to say

HandBanana
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
6/24 - The Men @ Bottom of the Hill

Yeah like thats not gonna sell out in 14 seconds :(

GeezrRckr
03-27-2012, 07:23 PM
It's on sale now!

I strongly recommend the Bass Drum of Death show. I've seen them twice and they are just spectacular. If you like Ty Segall, you will like BDoD guaranteed.

Here's some YTs I posted a while ago in here:

Anyone other than Chia and I going to Blonde Redhead tonite? If so, make sure to get there in time to see Bass Drum of Death.

KekNFOCjBX4
XKy04qEszV8

And, although they won't be doing this one, it's still cool.

wGh_1tDBo0k

Some newer ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-sT-fUnxiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTwz_zCIZgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p61_S55mgbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96ur0cI_Ks

They have a new LP coming out soon and, from what I've heard, it's even better than GB City. I suspect (and hope) these guys will blow up a bit this year.

chiapet
03-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't like them that much, right? I can't remember them very well now.

I don't even have them on my show list, though I thought I went to see the openers with you.

GeezrRckr
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
You didn't come early enough to see them. You had to endure my gushing though. It was Blonde Redhead that left you underwhelmed, remember.

(and, despite the strange booking, they even won over the old-ass Blonde Redhead crowd)

chiapet
03-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Yea, I do remember being underwhelmed with Blonde Redhead's set that night. Not very good energy, IIRC, until they got to some of the older songs later in the set?

Damn, I'd thought I'd gone to see the opener after how much you'd talked about them. I need to stop skipping opening acts so often.

wmgaretjax
03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
4/29 - Julia Holter @ Rickshaw

their ticket link is busted. want to buy.

shakermaker113
03-27-2012, 09:32 PM
their ticket link is busted. want to buy.

?

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/109221

dorkfish
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
05/09 - Gauntlet Hair @ Bottom of the Hill SF, 21+

Trick Loves The Kids
03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
who else is going to MSI this friday

fikus222
03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Trick, you're on your own for this one :p

Trick Loves The Kids
03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
seriously? I thought this thread was all about goth rap-metal from the early 2000s???

wmgaretjax
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
?

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/109221

cool. thanks. they must have fixed their link shortly after i posted it... i was trying that exact one and it was throwing a 404.

afox19
03-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Anyone have an extra for Tiger and Woods @ the W this Saturday? Willing to pay over face if that's what it takes.

fikus222
03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
^ Nobody that I know of. However, it sounds as if they'll be selling a very limited amount of tickets at the door:

The only way to guarantee admission is to purchase a pre-sale. Once we're at capacity, we'll be forced to turn people away.

This is also reassuring:

We're in luck: the rooftop is San Francisco weather protected - insulated with a covering and heaters for possible dreary SF days.

chiapet
03-28-2012, 04:04 PM
^^ Yes, and they also said you'll be able to order food from room service, which sounds expensive but better than showing up early for door tickets and going all day without food...

fikus222
03-29-2012, 08:03 AM
4/21 Mix Master Mike w/ DJ Shortkut & DJ Platurn at Mighty
4/28 David Morales, Louie Vega & Tony Humphries at Mighty
5/18 DEEP w/ Andre Lodeman & Marques Wyatt at Mighty

CrystalCastlesFreak
03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
On my way to SLO for Wolfgang Gartner! Gonna be my 4th Wolfgang set, so excited :)

chiapet
03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
More floor tickets were just released for both Oakland Mangum shows.

sbessiso
03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I want a Pulp ticket goddammit

chiapet
03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
4/21 - Stacey Pullen @ The Endup

^^ I'm all about this

afox19
03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
^ Nobody that I know of. However, it sounds as if they'll be selling a very limited amount of tickets at the door:

This is also reassuring:

good info, thanks. Potentially stupid question - do you think there will be ins and outs? 8 hours - seems like there would need to be, but not sure of the logistics.

chiapet
03-29-2012, 01:45 PM
good info, thanks. Potentially stupid question - do you think there will be ins and outs? 8 hours - seems like there would need to be, but not sure of the logistics.

There are not in and outs. (The promoter answered this on FB). There will be heaters & shade/rain protection, restrooms, bars, and the ability to order food on the roof top.

My impression is that they're going to have to be really careful about the behavior of the crowd and how much this impacts hotel guests, or they won't be invited back again.

fikus222
03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
7/20 Deep presents Lovebirds at SF venue TBA

bballarl
03-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Soooooo. Anyone have an extra ticket to Hot Snakes in SF or San Jose? I had no idea this was happening and now both shows are sold out.

Ross1492
03-29-2012, 09:39 PM
4/19 - Mi Ami (Live), Ital, Magic Touch, Bobby Browser @ PW loft
4/29 - Claude Young @ Holy Cow
4/29 - Deniz Kurtel @ Monarch
5/4 - Soul Clap @ Monarch
5/5 - Metro Area @ Monarch
5/18 - Ben UFO @ Monarch

guedita
03-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Really bummed I won't be in town for Ben UFO

But I will finally be in town for Metro Area.

Ross1492
03-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Can't wait to see Ben UFO. Glad its at Monarch.

chiapet
03-29-2012, 09:47 PM
That's a nice list of shows :)

Geez, I already have tickets for 2 shows on May 4th. Tempted to try to do 3. We'll have to see what the event times look like.

Ross1492
03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Is Washed Out a solid live act?

And as to the other shows (assuming I've got your itinerary pegged, haha), Soul Clap should be done by 2 which leaves ample time to zip over to PW to enjoy Lazarus and Tiga.

chiapet
03-29-2012, 09:55 PM
You have. :P

I saw Washed Out last year and thought he was pretty good live, and I was hoping it would be over early-ish. That would probably be the one I'd bail on though.

Ross1492
03-29-2012, 10:23 PM
RA put up an article today about Hype Williams touring NY, LA, SF. Looks like that April 27 show is really happening. Stoked. Hope TBA venue doesn't mean the Magda venue, haha.

But, in some ways, that might be the perfect venue for them.

chiapet
03-29-2012, 10:30 PM
The facebook invite has it listed at Public Works.

Ross1492
03-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Right you are!

4/27 - Hype Williams, Gatekeeper, Teengirl Fantasy, Zebra Katz @ PW

Wonderful. What an interesting lineup.

Vasoline Groove
03-30-2012, 07:56 AM
CoS reports Duran Duran is playing Saratoga two nights August 8 and 9. Venue tbd.

thefrush
03-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Could it be anywhere but the Mountain Winery?

sbessiso
03-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Goddamn fucking mountain winery again. Ugh

fikus222
03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
5/19 Doc Martin, Mark Farina, Miguel Migs, Julius Papp and David Harness at The Mezzanine

Edit:

Pre sale tickets are $15 + 3.82

http://remedysf.eventbrite.com/

Trick Loves The Kids
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
5/19 Doc Martin, Mark Farina, Miguel Migs, Julius Papp and David Harness at The Mezzanine

awesome

guedita
03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Goddamn fucking mountain winery again. Ugh

Have you been there yet? Crowd is full of the parents of everyone I went to high school with.

Robin
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd definitely be down for some Doc Martin.
He's also playing an event on April 14.
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/238390

xanman86
03-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Anyone going to Das Racist tonight? Considering it now...

CrystalCastlesFreak
03-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I wish I was going to Das Racist :(

Nick o
03-30-2012, 08:05 PM
any trance fans in here? ben gold and heatbeat next week at ruby skye i have a discount guest list $10 let me know if you want on it

chiapet
03-31-2012, 02:10 AM
4/6 - Jimpster (extended set) @ Mighty

$10 presales via RA:
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?352690

Also that Deetron show on 5/19 apparently also includes Camea on the bill. Mmm.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?343563

Boourns
03-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Bought my plane ticket last night. San Fran from 4/17-19. Let's party!

chiapet
03-31-2012, 10:58 AM
afox19 - they posted set times for the Tiger & Woods show, they are going on at 5PM, and they're suggesting if you do not have a ticket, show up as close to 1 as possible.

sbessiso
03-31-2012, 11:30 AM
seriously, if anyone has an extra Pulp floor ticket. give me a holla

Boourns
03-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Does the Warfield do wristbands for the floor people or do you just show your ticket stub to get in and out?

guedita
03-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Ticket stub (if I recall correctly).

Nick o
03-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Does the Warfield do wristbands for the floor people or do you just show your ticket stub to get in and out?

stub

Wheres the beef?
03-31-2012, 06:03 PM
any trance fans in here? ben gold and heatbeat next week at ruby skye i have a discount guest list $10 let me know if you want on it

Trance at Ruby Skye? How can I say "no"?

Nick o
03-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Trance at Ruby Skye? How can I say "no"?

do you think your negative posts make me not to want post anymore? youre wasting your time and you arent funny, ever :/

aaronbk
03-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Dude, its a message board. We all poke fun of each other all the time, thats part of a board, trolling. Just accept it. Duh.

Nick o
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
naw this guy seeks out my posts in every thread and tries to trash on them, its pathetic really should probably just put him on ignore

guedita
03-31-2012, 11:07 PM
To be completely fair, I don't know why any adult in San Francisco would ever see trance at anywhere but Ruby Skye.

afox19
04-01-2012, 10:49 AM
afox19 - they posted set times for the Tiger & Woods show, they are going on at 5PM, and they're suggesting if you do not have a ticket, show up as close to 1 as possible.

thanks! That was pretty fun. Saw a girl there in an 07 Coachella shirt - maybe one of you guys?

Good scene, but they have some logistical issues to work out. Was only there until about 6, seems like it would have been neat at night.

chiapet
04-01-2012, 12:02 PM
That was me. (Black Coachella shirt with the air balloons on it). Should have come over to say hi. :)

I thought it worked out pretty well. The sound of course was not great, but that's to be expected for that type of space/set up. I know people were upset about the restroom lines, I guess they didn't hear the staff saying that you could go to other floors to use the restrooms. A sign next time would help a lot. We were really glad they were flexible about the in/outs, being able to run down to the lobby bar to grab a drink was nice (and quicker than waiting in the lines upstairs).

sbessiso
04-01-2012, 08:22 PM
To be completely fair, I don't know why any adult in San Francisco would ever see trance at anywhere but Ruby Skye.

they filmed the nightclub scene in The Social Network there.

fikus222
04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Edited, to rub it in yo' face.

:) No, they filmed the night club scene at a club in L.A. (the special features on the dvd incorrectly label the venue as Ruby Skye). We had a big discussion about it a few months ago.

shakermaker113
04-01-2012, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't call it "incorrect". most movies are not shot where the story takes place.

I think it was jackstraw that dug up the actual place they shot it a while back.

fikus222
04-01-2012, 08:37 PM
The dvd incorrectly labeled the filming location as Ruby Skye, while the venue is never identified within the movie itself.

shakermaker113
04-01-2012, 09:19 PM
The dvd incorrectly labeled the filming location as Ruby Skye, while the venue is never identified within the movie itself.

ah.

precision.

CrystalCastlesFreak
04-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I love me some Ruby Skye :)

CrystalCastlesFreak
04-02-2012, 07:51 AM
The Temper Trap- 6/16, Warfield

GeezrRckr
04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Shit, wished I had known about this a bit earlier.

4/8 - Mangum @ GAMH

Onsale @ 3pm today.

chiapet
04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Hrm... that's really tempting. Any one else going to try for tickets?

shakermaker113
04-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I bought a ticket.

Boourns
04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
So what time's everyone getting to the Warfield for Pulp? My flight is scheduled to arrive at 10:43am, then I have to get to the city, find my hostel, and hope I can check in early.

chiapet
04-02-2012, 08:05 PM
I bought tickets for the Sunday Jeff Mangum show, but only afterwards remembered that the Fox shows are (also) will call only. Hrm. I hope I want to go twice in a week. :P

So what time's everyone getting to the Warfield for Pulp? My flight is scheduled to arrive at 10:43am, then I have to get to the city, find my hostel, and hope I can check in early.

Well, I think most of us have to work that day, so probably not very early. Doors are at 7, show starts at 8. (I hate Ariel's but don't want to be stuck at the back of the upper tier of the floor area for Pulp...). If there's time before hand, I'd vote for going to the 21 Club beforehand for a couple of quick drinks.

Boourns
04-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah, this is definitely a be-up-front-with-all-the-lunatics-that-have-been-waiting-years-or-decades-and-came-from-all-over kind of show, even if it does mean enduring Ariel Pink.

shakermaker113
04-02-2012, 08:22 PM
If there's time before hand, I'd vote for going to the 21 Club beforehand for a couple of quick drinks.

someone doesn't want to remember the show.

chiapet
04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm not going to drink that much. :P

Boourns
04-02-2012, 08:36 PM
someone doesn't want to remember the show.

Haha, this. And drinking + shows = me surrendering my spot to piss.

I do love a good drink in a new town, though. How about after the show?

I remember you said you're also interested in getting a good spot. Since I'll be there early, there's your in.

guedita
04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm not going to drink that much. :P

Heidi @ Massive Attack was amazing.

rasooli
04-02-2012, 11:45 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/01/PKI51NNDPL.DTL&type=music

shakermaker113
04-03-2012, 06:37 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/01/PKI51NNDPL.DTL&type=music

they obviously don't read our thread. we have a much more complete list.

GeezrRckr
04-03-2012, 06:48 AM
And Goyte was moved, what, like a month ago to BGC.

That writer is a fucking amateur.

fikus222
04-03-2012, 07:11 AM
6/16 Opulent Temple on Treasure Island

-* 5 *- Areas of Music

:: Main 1 : The Opulent Stage ::
Carl Cox
Christopher Lawrence
Dutch (Opulent Temple)
Billy Casazza (Opulent Temple)
Alain Octavo (Spundae)

:: Main 2: The Temple Stage ::
Aphrodite
Dopamine
Tek Freaks (Opulent Temple)
Dex Stakker (Opulent Temple)
Dulce Vita (Opulent Temple)
Brian Peek (Opuelnt Temple)
DJ Brian Williams (Opulent Temple / Boomrock Saints)

:: Distrikt ::
Kramer
Ben Seagren
Matt Kramer
J-Rod

:: Synergy Playground ::
Bix Cannon (Skills / Time Unlimited)
B33SON (EPR)
DJ Hil (Yerba Buena Disco)

:: Shiva's Chill Lair ::
DJ's TBA

http://ot-massive2012-eanreclxb.eventbrite.com/?utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=attnews&utm_term=attlink

Nick o
04-03-2012, 08:23 AM
wow thats awesome just got my ticket, looks like cox and lawrence will probably be at edc too then, well maybe

chiapet
04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
OT parties are a lot of fun. If I weren't going to be at Sonar, I'd go to that.

Boourns
04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I might have to catch that Wild Flag show. I know they're playing Sasquatch, but EMA isn't, and that would help with conflicts.

Edit: Nevermind. The Thursday Godspeed show is sold out, so my only option for them is Wednesday.

cansei de ser sexme
04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Right you are!

4/27 - Hype Williams, Gatekeeper, Teengirl Fantasy, Zebra Katz @ PW

Wonderful. What an interesting lineup.

How does one acquire tickets for this?

chiapet
04-03-2012, 09:54 AM
How does one acquire tickets for this?

I don't believe they're on sale yet - here's the FB event page - http://www.facebook.com/events/233597383404742/

CrystalCastlesFreak
04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I might have to hit up that OT show. Would be nice to catch a Carl Cox set :)

PotVsKtl
04-03-2012, 10:15 AM
OK.

thefrush
04-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I hope that means B33son will be at EDC.

OddZilla
04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
^He can open for Dyloot then Destructo.

chiapet
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Not a show announcement, but [KONTROL] has announced that they are ending their monthlies at the End Up with the June show. :/

Any one else planning on checking out 6th Borough Project & the Revenge at [KONTROL] this Saturday?
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?355455

fikus222
04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Free b4 11pm, BARC afterparty?

chiapet
04-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Well, I have assorted plans after BARC, but expect to end up there eventually. I'm not very familiar with 6th borough project but really like what I've heard.

Boourns
04-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Does anyone have an extra Godspeed ticket for the show on the 19th?

flea73
04-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Not a show announcement, but [KONTROL] has announced that they are ending their monthlies at the End Up with the June show. :/

Any one else planning on checking out 6th Borough Project & the Revenge at [KONTROL] this Saturday?
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?355455

I'm strongly considering flying up for this.

chiapet
04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Another whirlwind < 24 hour trip? :)

flea73
04-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Of course! I'm having an internal debate about whether to be responsible and stay in town for the last weekend of tax season or be wasteful with my money and fly up for some fun. I'll let you know what I decide. The fact that it's at the Endup has me intrigued since I have somehow managed to never make it there in my 15+ years of visiting.

chiapet
04-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Well, if I can influence you at all, that night is a [KONTROL] event (monthly party at the End Up), and they just announced that they will not be doing any more events (under this name at least) after June. So, three more to go...

flea73
04-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Are their parties normally good? The price of the flight is really my sticking point. Don't know that I really want to spend $300 right now.

fikus222
04-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I've always had fun at Kontrol parties. They're easily the best night to be at the End-Up.

chiapet
04-03-2012, 07:09 PM
It's been a long, long time since I've been to the End Up, and I don't know if I've ever actually been there on a kontrol night... I'm sure they are fun. $300 worth of fun? Hrm....

Ross1492
04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
If you're going to travel for Kontrol, do it for the June finale. I'm sure that will be nuts.

chiapet
04-03-2012, 08:31 PM
She's going to DEMF, too, kinda close to our return from the festival....

Ross1492
04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
6/2 - Dopplereffekt @ Monarch.

Yes!

fikus222
04-03-2012, 09:08 PM
^ That sure beats an SMD DJ set at The Mezzanine. Though, I do love me my SMD.

lt.roast.a.botch
04-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Not familiar with Dopplereffekt but will check it out. Monarch has been doing a great job getting quality acts and I like the sound and crowd. Bonus points for making a great Moscow Mule. I need to make more shows there.

Ross1492
04-03-2012, 09:15 PM
They make wonderfully strong drinks upstairs.

Ross1492
04-03-2012, 09:16 PM
To clarify: Dopplereffekt is live, not a DJ set.

flea73
04-04-2012, 08:31 AM
If you're going to travel for Kontrol, do it for the June finale. I'm sure that will be nuts.

If it's the first weekend in June I'm already booked solid that weekend. :(

chiapet
04-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I only started listening to Dopplereffekt recently but I'm really really excited for that. :)

cansei de ser sexme
04-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't believe they're on sale yet - here's the FB event page - http://www.facebook.com/events/233597383404742/

http://publicaccessone.eventbrite.com/

21+

:(

fikus222
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
The Twelves will be performing live for their Mezzanine show on 5/25. Tickets are on sale now at Blasthaus (http://blasthaus.com/).

FYI, The Washed Out show at the Mezzanine is sold out.

wmgaretjax
04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
http://publicaccessone.eventbrite.com/

done. thanks. bummer it is 21+.

fikus222
04-05-2012, 07:19 AM
4/07 Daedelus at the Clift Hotel (free)

4/10 Chairlift at Cal's Lower Sproul Plaza (12pm free).

Robin
04-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Just purchased a ticket to Opulent, but not sure if I'm going.
Anyone else hitting that up?

nick5745
04-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Definitely going to that, haven't been to an Opulent show before, and I'd love to see Carl Cox.

Ross1492
04-05-2012, 07:53 AM
5/10 - Demdike Stare, Tropic of Cancer @ Monarch

They're doing a bang up job putting that soundsystem to good use.

Vasoline Groove
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Edit:

Pre sale tickets are $15 + 3.82

http://remedysf.eventbrite.com/

This is such a great line up especially for the price, but its the night before bay to breakers, so I'm probably not going to make it. Bummer.

Robin
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
This is such a great line up especially for the price, but its the night before bay to breakers, so I'm probably not going to make it. Bummer.

Oooh! Does that mean that the Oyster Fest may also be that weekend?
Looks like I might be drunk the entire weekend.

wmgaretjax
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
5/10 - Demdike Stare, Tropic of Cancer @ Monarch

They're doing a bang up job putting that soundsystem to good use.

fuck. why couldn't Dom come up and play as Vatican Shadow in SF too? lucky LA...

xanman86
04-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Songkick made it seem like Bob Dylan will be in SF tonight. Any truth to this?

CrystalCastlesFreak
04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
<- I saw that too :O

Just bought 2 tix for the KROQ Weenie Roast. Coldplay & Incubus are 2 of my favorite bands, so this will make the long drive well worth :D

chiapet
04-05-2012, 01:29 PM
^^ Nick o back with a new name and trying to play nice this time.

chiapet
04-05-2012, 04:31 PM
4/26 Lee Curtiss @ Vessel (BASE)

Robin
04-06-2012, 07:09 AM
^^ Nick o back with a new name and trying to play nice this time.

Where did he go?

tubescape
04-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Dean Wareham plays Galaxie 500 on May 11th at the Hemlock Tavern. Two sets, 7:30pm and 10:30pm

*that night is stacked. I got tix quite some time ago for Roger Waters at AT&T (missed "the Wall" last go around) and now there are 2 other shows I'd like to see as well, with Yann Tiersen at the Regency and now Dean Wareham (I was a huge fan of Luna). Britta Phillips will be accompanying Dean for the Galaxie 500 songs... meow!

chiapet
04-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Where did he go?

Did he really just delete that one post and ignore the others on the thread? Funny... His other ID is no longer functional.

Robin
04-06-2012, 07:50 AM
He's prob not smart enough to realize that deleting an account doesn't erase what has been said.

Sub Focus
April 18
715 Harrison St.

PotVsKtl
04-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Get out of my thread.

Vasoline Groove
04-06-2012, 08:38 AM
So its all gone Pete Tong for me tomorrow night. First time at Vessel. Hopefully its somewhat classy with a decent sound system. Fingers crossed.

chiapet
04-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Oh, Vessel is terrible, but the sound is really good. You'll have to put up with a ton of bridge & tunnel types getting trashed in VIP (the VIP booths take up practically the entire venue).

Vasoline Groove
04-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh, Vessel is terrible, but the sound is really good. You'll have to put up with a ton of bridge & tunnel types getting trashed in VIP (the VIP booths take up practically the entire venue).

Well one out of two aint bad. Were doing wine tasting all day so hopefully I'll be too drunk to notice the dbags in VIP. Thanks for the heads up Heidi!

constantlyoff
04-06-2012, 09:21 AM
went to vessel last night for the first time for michael woods, the crowd was actually pretty cool. that sound system is amazing.

chiapet
04-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I like Thursday nights there... if you RSVP and go by 11, it's usually free, and the brilliant thing is all those drunk B&T people tend to clear out a little after midnight.

Thursday nights = BASE at Vessel, one of us usually posts the listings here and it's free w/ RSVP unless otherwise noted.

constantlyoff
04-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I like Thursday nights there... if you RSVP and go by 11, it's usually free, and the brilliant thing is all those drunk B&T people tend to clear out a little after midnight.

Thursday nights = BASE at Vessel, one of us usually posts the listings here and it's free w/ RSVP unless otherwise noted.
sweet thanks. yeah that place cleared out fast. at like 230ish there were maybe 100 people in there and woods came down and danced with us on the dance floor while he was playing. so much fun.

guedita
04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Security was incredibly lax about smoking at the Great American last night for Dark Star. Like, people were smoking cigarettes inside. I've never seen that there before.

My favorite GAMH memory still remains the bitch fight that occurred during James Blake.

GeezrRckr
04-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Wow, that's really strange. Usually they are super strict about weed at GAMH...let alone ciggs. I sure hope this is not a new trend (no offense you cig smokers...but, it fucks up my eyes kinda bad).

Yeah like thats not gonna sell out in 14 seconds :(
Believe it or not, The Men show is *not* sold out. I just bought a ticket. Guess the hipster masses are still not yet on these guys.

http://www.stubmatic.com/bottomofthehill/event/7107

shamal
04-06-2012, 04:42 PM
anybody going to see sbtrkt at the independent on 4/16? luckily found someone on craigslist selling a pair of tickets for face value meanwhile everyone else was trying to get rid of their tickets for $80 a pop...

xanman86
04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Security was incredibly lax about smoking at the Great American last night for Dark Star. Like, people were smoking cigarettes inside. I've never seen that there before.

My favorite GAMH memory still remains the bitch fight that occurred during James Blake.

Mine is when Cat Power made the crowd all sit down Indian style for a few songs.

with_cheese
04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
This is a bit late, but how was the Tiger & Woods event last weekend?

afox19
04-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Chia (sorry I missed you!) and I discussed this a bit last week. I had a pretty good time - the venue is awesome, and the music was basically what you'd expect if you listened to the T&W soundcloud mix. Really enjoyed the DJ prior to them (not sure who it was).

The logistics were a little off - security was basically non-existent by 530-6, and the lines for the bar occupied half of the dance floor, but those are both minor issues. The outside area was pretty neat (albeit windy) and it was a pretty chill crowd from what I could tell. Beers were $8 - they did have some house cocktail for $4 too - everything was served in glass which seemed like it could have been a problem later in the night! I'm not much of an audiophile - the sound seemed ok to me but nothing like you'd experience at some of the better venues in the city.

All in all, well worth the ticket price, and I'd go back if the opportunity arose.

chiapet
04-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Good summary. It met my expectations, with the location in mind (first time the promoter's thrown a party there; at the W, I definitely expected overpriced drinks and some long lines; sound was pretty good considering we were in a plastic tent on a rooftop :) ). T&W are always fun, IMO... maybe not the greatest djs, but I enjoy them.

The DJ immediately before them was Briski, who is a SF local.

Weirdly the glass never seemed to become a problem? Didn't see anything broken, even when they were letting us have the run of the (cement) decks outside.

Spooks
04-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Frost Revival Lineup Announced

Stanford University, Frost Amphitheater

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 - Doors Open at 2:00pm, Concert Starts at 3:00pm

Official Lineup:

Modest Mouse
Eyes Lips Eyes
Benjamin Francis Leftwich

Visit http://scn.stanford.edu/ for full details.

Sponsored by Stanford Concert Network, in conjunction with Associated Students of Stanford University, Graduate Student Council, Cardinal Nights, Office of Special Events & Protocol, Student Activities & Leadership and Vice Provost for Student Activities.

This event is open to the public. Stanford students: invite your friends and families!

Tickets on sale April 23rd at tickets.stanford.edu, available online, in the Stanford Ticket Office, and in White Plaza. Student tickets are only $20; save on each ticket with a group order of 10 or more. Email frost_is_back@stanford.edu for questions and Stanford student group ticket orders. SUIDs required. This event will sell out, so be sure to claim your ticket when they are made available.