bmack86
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Lets post them here as they pop up.

3.9-Echo Curio
Tater Bug
Tracy Trance
Infinite Body
Pocahaunted

3.14-Echo Curio (Only kind of a noise show, but it should be awesome)
Gun Outfit
Dunes
Residual Echoes
So Many Wizards

3.28-Echo Curio
ARON DRAKE
SCOTT CAZAN
jones.keusch
ULRICH KREIGER, MATTHEW SETZER & ANDY NIVEN

3.31-Echo Curio
Zola Jesus
Tearist
Zombelle

3.31-The Smell
Chris Corsano/Peter Kolovos
Evangelista
Lucky Dragons

4.1-Echo Curio
Chris Corsano
Warm Climate
Stellar Om Source

4.22-The Smell
Grouper
John Wiese
Infinite Body

4.24-The Smell
Aaron Dilloway
Haters
Pedestrian Deposit
Monsturo
Chambers

schoolofruckus
03-08-2010, 04:40 PM
3.10 - Cinefamily (Silent Movie Theatre)

Text of Light (Lee Renaldo) - Improv live score to Stan Brakhage and other films
Laguis - Live score to Parallel

wmgaretjax
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Improv live score to Stan Brakhage

!!!!

bmack86
03-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh Gabe, oh Gabe. Wow. I'm totally going to this.

And I got a ticket. 10:15 show.

schoolofruckus
03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I will be too unless some major shit comes up.

More info. (http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/events.html)

TallGuyCM
03-08-2010, 05:01 PM
MOTHERFUCKER. I just made plans that night.

Edit: I'm in. Having dinner at 7. Should be there by 10:15 easily.

wmgaretjax
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Tuesday, March 16th @ Synchronicity
4306 Melrose Ave. LA.
9PM $5.00

Infinite Body
Earn
Jeans Wilder (San Diego)
Mirror To Mirror

ficklecycle
03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Tuesday, March 16th @ Synchronicity
4306 Melrose Ave. LA.
9PM $5.00

Infinite Body
Earn
Jeans Wilder (San Diego)
Mirror To Mirror

So down.

bmack86
03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Fickle, that's walking distance for us. We probably have to go.

bmack86
03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
4.25-Synchronicity Space
Aaron Dilloway+John Wiese

You don't really need to see any more than that, right?

wmgaretjax
03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
that show will be a face fuck.

Still-ill
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I was gonna go. Now... forget it...

TallGuyCM
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Wow, that's definitely better than the Smell show the night before.

kitt kat
03-09-2010, 06:41 PM
3.10 - Cinefamily (Silent Movie Theatre)

Text of Light (Lee Renaldo) - Improv live score to Stan Brakhage and other films
Laguis - Live score to Parallel

I have two midterms due the next day. But shit. Lee.

bmack86
03-09-2010, 07:51 PM
We're all going to the late show at 10:15

TallGuyCM
03-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I have two midterms due the next day. But shit. Lee.

Midterms due, as in papers yeah? Not like midterms tests where you'd have to concentrate in class the next day? Then yeah, just hammer 'em out in the early evening and reward yourself with Lee doing his thing in the late evening.

pancakespancakes
03-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Infinite Body was really really beautiful last night. I definitely get the hype. It's really a special live experience. The lights made it especially lovely and it was so fucking loud that I still can't hear over 12 hours later. He makes some really pretty stuff but it's definitely more amazing in the live setting.

Pocahaunted were a blast as usual too... it was sort of their album release show last night ("Make It Real" came out yesterday), and it was their last LA show for a while after almost a year of nothing but LA shows. They played some new-new stuff, finally, and I picked up their brand new LP.

Dean Spunt was there watching along with some other cool people. It was a surprisingly good turnout. I love the Echo Curio.

bmack86
03-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Gabe and Chris will probably have more to say, and I probably will as well, but the Texts of Light/Languis show/Brakhage screening tonight was stupendous. They really did a fantastic job.

Three Brakhage films: Mammals of Vancouver, Water for Maya and I Hold These Truths. The third was my favorite by far: Brakhage-painted film cells shifting, pulsing and generally creating a swath of color. It was a lot to parse.

TallGuyCM
03-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Stupendous is a great word to describe tonight. I really didn't want it to end, the Text of Light part was a solid hour. Oh and not to nitpick, but I think it was Mammals of Victoria, not Vancouver. :)

bmack86
03-11-2010, 12:48 AM
yeah, it was. Damn Canada and all their Vs

schoolofruckus
03-11-2010, 08:08 AM
The night was definitely as awesome as I expected it to be. The Brakhage/Text of Light program was INSANE. And I honestly liked the opener - a guy who calls himself Languis playing the score to a film called Parallel he collaborated on - nearly as much. I can't wait to see what future Blast! Phemy programs entail.

jtovar21
03-14-2010, 01:31 AM
The night was definitely as awesome as I expected it to be. The Brakhage/Text of Light program was INSANE. And I honestly liked the opener - a guy who calls himself Languis playing the score to a film called Parallel he collaborated on - nearly as much. I can't wait to see what future Blast! Phemy programs entail.

That's my friend Alejandro (Ale) who also djs for Dublab! His Elevation Through Sound (http://dublab.com/?s=elevation+through+sound&x=0&y=0) programs are really great, he's got archived sets at www.dublab.com

Languis is amazing! You should also check out his other projects like Psychic Powers (http://www.myspace.com/psychicpowers)( which if you dig 80s New Order, you'll love) and Pharaohs (http://dublab.com/archive/pharaohs-live-dublab-sprout-session-062909/).

TallGuyCM
03-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I thought about the Text of Light show a good deal over the weekend, and it came to me that the one aspect that really blew me away most was how perfect the ebb and flow was of the performance...the 3 of them would dwindle down to the point where you thought it might be over, and then they'd start the climb up another wave and back down again.

And I've never seen anyone treat a saxophone in such a way, either.

bmack86
04-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Hair Police are opening for Awesome Color at Spaceland. I know Jared's talked about them quite a bit, so I'm thinking about heading out to that, even though Awesome Color are kind of boring.

wmgaretjax
04-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Hair Police will fucking wreck you. Seriously. Check 'em out. I'm going on Tuesday up here.

TallGuyCM
04-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Dammit, already going to Japandroids that night. Oh well.

pancakespancakes
04-15-2010, 02:33 AM
They're playing down here at the Che Cafe that Saturday and I'm really really excited. I think Awesome Color will be fun too... most of their material is pretty vapid but when they're good, they're great. I know it will be really cool to watch.

Quite a week ahead of me after Coachella... Earth with Wolves in the Throne Room at the Che on Monday, then Grouper with John Wiese, Infinite Body and Ilyas Ahmed at the Smell on Thursday, and then Hair Police/Awesome Color Saturday.

Natelevmofuggaz
04-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Fuck I was in L.A. on April 1st.. I totally could have caught the Chris Corsano show.

Well, that blows.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-20-2010, 03:15 PM
this is happening next Monday. I was invited by my buddy who is Enomentrium Cuntplw and he is pretty awesome. Lots of noise for $5 and you get to bring your own beer. I haven't been to Echo Curio yet, how is it? Tiny, i imagine.

Hello friends! So, it's my birthday on Monday, April 26. To celebrate, I am having an awesome show @ the wonderful ECHO CURIO w/ myself and some friends.
$5 donation for the ECHO CURIO. BYOB!!!! BMYOB (bring ME your won beer) ;)
Haven't worked out a line up yet, but:

ENDOMETRIUM CUNTPLOW
SUNKEN LANDSCAPES
ALIEN SOUNDTRACKS
MAGICK ORCHIDS
OBSCURER

Come out and say hello and experience some wonderful sounds. I love you.

( l i s t e n ) :
http://www.myspace.com/endometriumcuntplow
http://www.myspace.com/sunkenlandscapes (http://www.myspace.com/endometriumcuntplow)
http://www.myspace.com/aliensoundtracks
http://www.myspace.com/magickmagickmagick
http://www.echocurio.com

echo curio says: Tonight we celebrate a good friend’s passing into the next age group. Be here and consider your presence your present. And hear some of the weirder out-there sounds right here, made with homemade pedals, vintage synths, warped vocal mics, and theremins!!!

Raptor Clinton
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Obscurer are really cool. They played with Pedestrian Deposit like a month or so ago.

pancakespancakes
04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I saw Alien Soundtracks sometime last summer, they're... alright.

The Echo Curio is one of my favorites. It is indeed tiny. It has a really warm and welcoming feel to it. That looks fun.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Sweet. i'm really going to make an effort to go to it. my buddy plays some plays in Riverside all the time so i rarely get a chance to see him perform. he's done Echo Curio like twice before and he seems to have built a relationship with them.

pancakespancakes
04-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Grouper/Infinite Body/Ilyas Ahmed last night was probably my favorite show of the year so far. (John Wiese was also there put didn't perform a regular set). I was surprised that not a very huge crowd showed up, instead it was modest and extremely respectful. So quiet you could hear a pin drop. Just right. Grouper played all new material, a lot of stuff from that ATP recording last year, particularly the song she opened with which is like the 3rd song from the ATP set (it's about 6 or 7 minutes long). Probably my favorite Grouper song yet. She told me it's called "She Loves You something-or-other" but she's changing the name. Infinite Body was great as usual but a little bit too short, just did 4 songs. Ended with "Sunshine" which is a favorite. Ilyas was also way too short, also only did 4 songs, but he sounded good. Liz came up and sang the last song he played which was cool but I prefer his voice to his own material.

Just a really good bill overall and I left so satisfied. The Smell is picking up in quality bookings right now.

wmgaretjax
04-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Grouper is always so fucking good live. That ATP set was the tits.

Still-ill
04-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Grouper/Infinite Body/Ilyas Ahmed

Beeb boop bop woop! How did I miss this?

pancakespancakes
04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
They're playing down here at the Che Cafe that Saturday and I'm really really excited. I think Awesome Color will be fun too... most of their material is pretty vapid but when they're good, they're great. I know it will be really cool to watch.

Missed Hair Police tonight. Got there a little before 9, they were the first act on?! Oh well. Rest of the night was fun. I'll have to catch them on the next tour.

weezy f baby
04-25-2010, 12:04 PM
who knew... there are noise fans on the coachella board. right on.

kitt kat
04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
It sorta counts...but I'll be at No Age this weekend.

bmack86
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh man, I forgot that's this weekend. I need to buy a ticket still.

TallGuyCM
04-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm really excited for every band on that lineup, definitely not one to get there late for.

wmgaretjax
04-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Robedoor, Foot Village, Future Islands, Lower Dens
5/21 Sync Space

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Last night's show at the Echo Curio was a blast. MAGICK ORCHIDS is especially great live

pancakespancakes
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Robedoor, Foot Village, Future Islands, Lower Dens
5/21 Sync Space

That's a diverse lineup. I'm pretty down to go check this show out.

pancakespancakes
05-16-2010, 11:36 AM
If you like drone... (the guitarsy-psychish kind in the vein of Earth & Sunn, etc.)... can't get a lot better than this lineup:

Tom Carter (of Charalambides)
Barn Owl
Magick Orchids
Robedoor
Slasher Risk
Dreamcolour

Synchronicity Space (http://www.syncspacela.com/), Saturday May 29th, 9 pm show... I'll guess its $5.

Really excited for this one!

alisonnn
05-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Grouper/Infinite Body/Ilyas Ahmed last night was probably my favorite show of the year so far. (John Wiese was also there put didn't perform a regular set). I was surprised that not a very huge crowd showed up, instead it was modest and extremely respectful. So quiet you could hear a pin drop. Just right. Grouper played all new material, a lot of stuff from that ATP recording last year, particularly the song she opened with which is like the 3rd song from the ATP set (it's about 6 or 7 minutes long). Probably my favorite Grouper song yet. She told me it's called "She Loves You something-or-other" but she's changing the name. Infinite Body was great as usual but a little bit too short, just did 4 songs. Ended with "Sunshine" which is a favorite. Ilyas was also way too short, also only did 4 songs, but he sounded good. Liz came up and sang the last song he played which was cool but I prefer his voice to his own material.

Just a really good bill overall and I left so satisfied. The Smell is picking up in quality bookings right now.

oh hey I went to this and I really enjoyed it

pancakespancakes
05-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Nice! You should check out the one I just posted above too! Similar genre, a lot of really sweet acts on there.

Last night's show at the Echo Curio was a blast. MAGICK ORCHIDS is especially great live

edit - hey I didn't see that this is the same band thats playing that show I just posted, they're the one I didn't know of yet, definitely have to check them out right now. sweet.

alisonnn
05-16-2010, 11:49 AM
oh sweet! i might just have to go check that out, thanks for the heads up I don't really know much about this genre but i dig it

wmgaretjax
05-16-2010, 12:06 PM
If you like drone... (the guitarsy-psychish kind in the vein of Earth & Sunn, etc.)... can't get a lot better than this lineup:

Tom Carter (of Charalambides)
Barn Owl
Magick Orchids
Robedoor
Slasher Risk
Dreamcolour

Carter and Barn Owl will obliterate you. Dreamcolour and Robedoor are fantastic live as well... I wish I could make this one.

TallGuyCM
05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I just came in here to bump this thread to see if y'all knew of anything that's coming up, I checked the Smell's site just now and didn't recognize many of the names.

That show on the 29th looks solid...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-17-2010, 09:08 AM
That Synchronocity Space show DOES look solid. if I don't have anything else going on that night, that sounds like a blast.

wmgaretjax
05-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Show on 29th is part of Bottled Smoke 2... Here is the full schedule:

Friday May 28th - Opening Night at Echo Curio
9p SLAVES
9:45p TUNNELS
10:30p INCA ORE
11:30p POCAHAUNTED

Saturday May 29th - Afternoon show at Echo Curio
1p EARN or EARN / MIRROR TO MIRROR PROJECT
1:30p DEAD LINE CONNECTOR
2:15p SWANOX
3p QUEEN VICTORIA
3:45p PEDESTRIAN DEPOSIT
4:30p RANGERS
5:15p M GEDDES GENGRAS

Saturday May 29th Evening show at Sync Space
9p DREAMCOLOUR
9:30p SLASHER RISK
10:15p ROBEDOOR
11p BARNOWL
11:45p TOM CARTER (collab or solo)
12:30p MAGICK ORCHIDS

Sunday May 30th Afternoon show at Sync Space
1p JUSTIN McINTEER
1:30p MATTHEWDAVID
2:15p DEEP MAGIC
3p slot open
3:45p ALPINE DECLINE
4:30p METAL ROUGE
5:15p TOM CARTER (collab or solo)

Sunday May 30th Evening show at Echo Curio
9p SEQUINS AND SKELETONS
9:45p SUN ARAW
10:30p WARM CLIMATE (solo)
11:15p SASQROTCH
12p OBSCURER

bmack86
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Looks like some awesome sets. I 'm sad I'll miss it

pancakespancakes
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Hmmmm that earlier show at the Echo Curio saturday might be worth checking out. Although I might be a little pooped by the end of the day. Are Pedestrian Deposit worth checking out live? Not really my style but seems like it could be awesome.

wmgaretjax
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Hmmmm that earlier show at the Echo Curio saturday might be worth checking out. Although I might be a little pooped by the end of the day. Are Pedestrian Deposit worth checking out live? Not really my style but seems like it could be awesome.

Yes. As are Earn, Rangers, and Queen Victoria.

Sounds like the open slot will be some Sean McCann collaboration.

kitt kat
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh man, I'll be out of town, too! Fuck you, little sister, for having to graduate high school.

pancakespancakes
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Sounds like the open slot will be some Sean McCann collaboration.

Nice. I am finally starting to enjoy that guy. How was he live by the way?

pancakespancakes
05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Robedoor no longer playing the Saturday show with Carter and Barn Owl. Although instead they are playing Friday night at Ehco Curio with Inca Ore and Pocahaunted and some other people. Meh. Now I don't know which to go to. Probably can't go to both but I'll still try to make Saturday night...

The reason I'm so crushed is because Robedoor's new album is by far the best thing they've done so far, it's excellent, and I really recommend it.

wmgaretjax
05-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Saturday will be the better show imo. But I'm not a fan of the new Pocahaunted material. Sean McCann was fantastic live. Hope he plays lots more shows.

pancakespancakes
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Pete Swanson (Yellow Swans) and Rene Hell at the Smell August 28th. That should be a good one!

wmgaretjax
07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
7/16/2010 - Los Angeles, CA
9:30pm
Women Of Crenshaw (1800 block crenshaw blvd.)

peter j woods
pedestrian deposit
sean mccann
xdugef
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/trilobite47/PeterJflier.jpg

bmack86
07-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Pete Swanson (Yellow Swans) and Rene Hell at the Smell August 28th. That should be a good one!

FUCK YEAH!

wmgaretjax
07-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Anyone that goes to that... if you pick me up any of Rene Hell's merch (anything other than his new LP... anything from his Callow God or Agents of Chaos label... anything, even if it is not him...), I'll pay you back and then some...

bmack86
07-15-2010, 08:23 PM
It's a saturday, I'll have my loan money. It's yours. I REALLY want to see Pete Swanson, and I've loved the Rene Hell I've checked out.

wmgaretjax
07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
i guarantee you jeff will tear it up. i've seen him play as secret abuse and he's a force to be reckoned with. unfortunately both sets will probably be shorter than they should be... but that's kinda how the noise scene works.

bmack86
07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that's been very hit or miss for me with noise shows. I thought the 10 minute set worked swimmingly for Haters, but I really wanted a longer set the time I saw Aaron Dilloway.

wmgaretjax
07-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Aaron Dilloway could play me to sleep for hours every night and I'd be happy...

TallGuyCM
07-15-2010, 10:41 PM

WHAT :eek: MOTHERFUCKER. That's the same night as the Chems in Oakland. :nono

pancakespancakes
07-15-2010, 11:14 PM

Time to hit craigslist! :thu

bmack86
07-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Chems are kind of old and predictable. This show is going to be small and awesome. C'mon.

schoolofruckus
07-16-2010, 07:38 AM

It's also the same night as The Antlers playing at The Getty.

TallGuyCM
07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Chems are kind of old and predictable. This show is going to be small and awesome. C'mon.

There's no way I'm going to this instead. I've had a deep love for electronica for a long time, and the noise thing is still new to me. Especially for what's sure to be two short sets.

vinylmartyr
07-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Erik and I may attend this. Stay tuned.

pancakespancakes
07-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Fuck that gig at the Smell -- HOLY ALLSTAR LINEUPS BATMAN:

Sun Aug 29th @ Echo Curio
Pete Swanson
Rene Hell
John Weise
Robedoor
Infinite Body

9 PM, w/ $5 suggested donation

pancakespancakes
07-24-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make that one but I hope... It's going to get crowded as fuck but it ought to be amazing...

bmack86
07-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, that show is going to be awesome!

pancakespancakes
08-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Robedoor last night. Wow. One of the best live shows I've seen this year!

TallGuyCM
08-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Not going up to Oakland in anymore. Should be hitting this up now.

pancakespancakes
08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm just going to put this question in this thread because it feels right -- do I go to Fennesz with Deakin & Prince Rama at the Eagle Rock Arts Center, do I go to Oneohtrix Point Never at The Airliner? Same night in LA... Sept. 29th...

My friends are leaning towards OPN... personally I am dying to see Fennesz.

bmack86
08-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Shit. That's rough. I'd almost check to find out when the Airliner show is supposed to go down, since Eagle Rock doesn't tend to run overly late.

pancakespancakes
08-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Good point! I really hadn't thought of that. But they're not even too far away, 10 minute drive maybe. I guess play it by ear when it gets closer.

TallGuyCM
08-22-2010, 04:14 PM
OPN is playing the same night??? WTF.

In addition to Eagle Rock not running late, Fennesz is at latest the second opening act, so it might be feasible to check out his set and then bolt over to the Airliner for OPN's set.

wmgaretjax
08-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Fennesz is without a doubt the act to see. Hope you make it to OPN as well... but Fennesz never plays... OPN is just getting started.

schoolofruckus
08-22-2010, 05:28 PM
This is very disappointing to hear. But I may try Bryan's idea and hit both - whatever the case, I'm not skipping Fennesz. Is Deakin's solo shit any good?

TallGuyCM
08-22-2010, 06:25 PM
I saw Deakin as an opening act for No Age at the Eagle Rock Center a few months ago, he was solid. Lots of his songs sounded like Noah could have written them for him, with the drawn out spacey vocals and what not.

That being said, I'd have absolutely zero hesitation in booking it over to see OPN's set right after Fennesz if the scheduling worked out.

wmgaretjax
08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
i <3 animal collective. but y'all got it right.

bmack86
08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Yup, I'm gonna try to do that.

schoolofruckus
08-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Alright, sounds like it's on. Assuming the Airliner shows are scheduled late, Prince Rama->Fennesz->OPN. I had never heard Prince Rama until this show, but Brad sent me some videos and I'm convinced they're a can't-miss as well.

pancakespancakes
08-22-2010, 08:17 PM
but Fennesz never plays... OPN is just getting started.

God I wish Fennesz played America like he did Europe. If that was the case he'd be a heck of a lot more common then an OPN gig. That said, both shows are pretty rare and special, which is why it's a bummer.

schoolofruckus
08-22-2010, 08:43 PM
So far. But like Jared said, OPN is just starting to get established. He'll probably become a moderate touring presence over the next few years. Whereas this will likely be our only shot at seeing Femnesz.

TallGuyCM
08-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Question for Jared - you mentioned something a few weeks ago about how even as an opening act you think Fennesz will get 60-70 minutes. I think that sounds extremely generous, esp. given that there's more than one opening act. Are you still holding to that?

vinylmartyr
08-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Where do you purchase tickets for the airliner club at or is it cash day of show?

wmgaretjax
08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
God I wish Fennesz played America like he did Europe. If that was the case he'd be a heck of a lot more common then an OPN gig. That said, both shows are pretty rare and special, which is why it's a bummer.

Nah, OPN isn't rare. He plays a lot. This IS his first time on the west coast, but given his momentum... It won't be his last by any stretch

Chris, from what I understand it is a co-headlining show. He'll get a full 60 by my estimate.

TallGuyCM
08-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Cool.

And, I don't know what I was thinking earlier, must have been the heat. Deakin and No Age weren't on the same bill. They were two separate shows, months apart. But they were both at Eagle Rock.

pancakespancakes
08-23-2010, 12:23 AM
He played the Smell last year, I think just around a year ago. So suffice to say maybe he plays the west coast once a year if this continues but who knows. I dunno the last time Fennesz played here... much longer for sure...

schoolofruckus
08-23-2010, 07:36 AM
I've seen it billed multiple times as his first Los Angeles show.

wmgaretjax
08-23-2010, 07:50 AM
yeah, i don't think he's played the west coast. i could be wrong... but i feel like i would remember that as I've wanted to see him for going on two years now.

bmack86
08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
CHris, your Rene Hell/Pete Swanson show in Long Beach now includes Dean from No Age doing a solo set.

TallGuyCM
08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Really? FUCK YES. Like I need to be any more excited for this show. Now just praying that I don't have to leave town for work on Monday.

nuNRG
08-29-2010, 07:38 PM
OPN is playing at The Echo with Sun Araw the day before the Airliner show. Seems like that solves everyone's problems.

TallGuyCM
08-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Just got back from my first noise show. Only about two dozen people were there at the most crowded point, super intimate little gathering.

Pete Swanson was first for some reason, and was fantastic. Just as intense and well-layered as I expected him to be. Met him after his set too, pretty surreal that someone of that stature within the community was just hanging out and talking to people and shit.

Coppertone was shitty. Some chick singing off-key with a synth and an annoying beat. Rene Hell was superb as well, almost as good as Pete's set. Dean's set (Preggers) was extremely bland and entry level. Randy was there as well, kind of a trip to see them just hanging out, no one really bothered them which was cool.

But I just realized I fucked up. They were taking a long time to set up between sets, and with a show starting at 9:00 it was 11:30 before the last set, Balloons, even was ready to start and I grew impatient and bailed. But I just got home and realized that (I think anyway) Balloons and Earn is the same dude. FUCK.

Regardless, killer lineup for a first show. Looking forward to many more in the future.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Aww yeah noise shows are so much fun. Toally tiny crowds in tiny places. I experienced my first shows at the Smell 10 years ago, but wait until you get to the Echo Curio which is like seeing a show in a house, or better yet, shows that you think are at venues that turn out to actually just be people's houses.

TallGuyCM
08-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Oh, and Pete's set was so loud that more than one picture frame fell off the wall, I thought that was hilarious.

wmgaretjax
08-31-2010, 06:40 AM
Balloons is the same as 1958-2009... Matthew Sullivan (Earn) and Alex Twomey (Mirror to Mirror).

bmack86
08-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Fucked that up Chris. And I bet the show at the Echo Curio was better than Chemical Bros at the bowl. Infinite Body slayed it.

TallGuyCM
08-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Possibly, but these shows come around more often that the ChemBros doing a live set, so no regrets.

But yeah, it just got late for a weeknight and I was tired of waiting around.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Couple shows that i have friends involved with coming up -

THIS Saturday 9/11/10
Beauty Is Pain / Records Ad Nauseum
1443 N. Highland
Hollywood, CA

endometrium cuntplow
+DOG+
Actuary
The Crystelles
...Marion Barry
Peg Leg Love

FREE 8PM

10/8/10
WOMEN - Los Angeles, CA
1852 Crenshaw Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA

Dental Work
+DOG+
Sissisters
Endometrium Cuntplow
+ More

10/9/10
MeowMeowz!
2423 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA

DDDD
Poltern
Alien Soundtracks
Dental Work
...Red Matter
Chum Out!

bmack86
09-28-2010, 05:28 PM
11/20-Zs-the Smell

TallGuyCM
09-29-2010, 12:22 AM
OPN was wonderful tonight. The set felt short, but whatever. Just glad to get to see him. Sun Araw was quite good as well.

And fuck yes, Zs at the Smell. That's gonna be a monster.

wmgaretjax
09-29-2010, 07:50 AM
i was bummed by the first OPN show I saw because it was too short... then he played with fennesz and got a full hour... blisssss.

wmgaretjax
10-03-2010, 12:56 PM
echo curio:

10/3
pedestrian deposit
tristan dahn (philly, pa)
earn
mirror to mirror
m. geddes gengras

10/10
nymph (ny, social registry)
theo angell
robedoor
suzi star
sneaky snakes

10/17
week off (echo curio movie night)

10/24
sean mccann
dan brown (ex- hall of fame)
grant and justin (ex-vxpxc)
gul bara (members of warm climate, lowlight situations, and metal rouge)

10/31
warm climate
+tba

jtovar21
10-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Keep the faith, dudes. One of my favorite DIY venues, Echo Curio, got shut down over the weekend :( Grant and Justin are going to talk today with the LAPD. Hopefully they can get things moving forward soon, but sometimes bureaucracy works against ya when it comes to getting things done quickly.

http://www.theeastsiderla.com/2010/10/police-shut-down-echo-park-performance-space/

vinylmartyr
10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
It's a bummer but also like what were they thinking?

wmgaretjax
10-04-2010, 01:22 PM
small-scale commercial licensing requirements are oppressive.

that's what I'm thinking.

jtovar21
10-05-2010, 01:31 AM
For anyone interested, I recorded Fennesz set along with all other artists at Center of Arts, Eagle Rock show last Wednesday. I think it came out pretty nice. The acoustics in that place are top notch. Here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ibrfke86owe44

bmack86
10-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Fuckers. Hopefully they'll be right back at it though.

pancakespancakes
10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Whooooooooooooaaaa. Holy shit.

pancakespancakes
10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I was around one of the dudes who runs it (tall bald one, can't think of his name right now) all day Saturday at the Eagle Rock festival, he was everywhere, always standing next to me, I never really talked to him though. I was wondering why he looked like he was in a bad mood.

pancakespancakes
10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Fuck this.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
handing out brown paper bags to people and encouraging them to bring their own beer and stand around outside drinking it was probably a big factor. it was also part of what made the place so awesome though. Dammit.

pancakespancakes
10-13-2010, 02:12 PM
handing out brown paper bags to people and encouraging them to bring their own beer and stand around outside drinking it was probably a big factor. it was also part of what made the place so awesome though. Dammit.

I'm thinking it is mostly an alcohol-related issue. It is a bit confusing though. Reading the long list of comments for that arcticle in The Eastsider, the neighborhood was clearly in support of the Echo Curio (both the residents and the businesses.) If anything they're acting like the crowds that the venue brought were making the area safer against the crowds all those surrounding bars brought. Of course every show there was a different group of people, maybe there were some isolated bad apples that showed up but the neighbors don't seem to believe so. Seems like everyone who was doubting the Curio and the way it worked was from outside the neighborhood.

pancakespancakes
10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Anyway, really looking forward to this one Sunday night. Pehrspace! I have been to the L'Keg next door a bunch of times, but never Pehrspace.

Mi Ami
Lucky Dragons
KIT
The Urxed
Oct 17th, 7:30 PM @ Pehrspace
325 Glendale Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA

Mi Ami are performing as a 2-piece now, sans drummer, so that should be interesting. KIT is from Oakland and they include George Chen and Vice Cooler (Hawnay Troof, XBXRX). The Urxed is Rob Barber from High Places and he makes really cool electronic stuff.

bmack86
10-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I didn't know that L'Keg is next door to Pehrspace. Sweet

pancakespancakes
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah that place is R.I.P. I guess... It burned down in February this year and they haven't got it back off the ground... Really weird basement place, but I saw some good sets there. :(

wmgaretjax
11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
The Museum of Contemporary Art invites you to an outdoor performance of
PERSEPOLIS L.A. IANNIS XENAKIS

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 6
6PM
LOS ANGELES STATE HISTORICAL PARK
1245 N. Spring Street Los Angeles, CA 90012 (map)
Free; no reservations required

In conjunction with the exhibition Iannis Xenakis: Composer, Architect, Visionary at MOCA Pacific Design Center November 6, 2010, through February 4, 2011, the first recreation of Xenakis’s legendary Polytope de Persepolis will be performed at Los Angeles State Historic Park. Adapted by German sound artist and Xenakis electronic music expert, Daniel Teige, Persepolis L.A. will involve six listening stations with eight speakers each. This performance will encompass more than 70,000 square feet of performance area within the 32-acre park.

Originally performed as the opening event of the controversial 1971 Shiraz Festival in Iran, Polytope de Persepolis’s electronic score has become a contemporary music classic. Based on historical documents from the Iannis Xenakis Archives, and created especially for this Los Angeles performance, this recreation will feature the recently restored eight-track music composition. The event will open with Xenakis’s first electronic work, Diamorphoses (1957), as a geological prelude.

Born in 1922, Xenakis was known for radical experiments, often involving mathematics or architectural paradigms, that helped change the complexion of contemporary music. His site-specific multimedia works are an unparalleled fusion of architecture, music, and light. For this performance, the audience will be invited to walk around the grassy expanse of the downtown L.A. park while the piece is in progress, to experience sound and visuals spatially, from different vantage points.

No seating will be provided. Persepolis LA will involve high volume levels and earplugs are recommended.

“Persepolis is neither a theatrical spectacle, nor a ballet, nor a Happening. It is visual symbolism, parallel to and dominated by sound. The sound—the music— must absolutely prevail.” Iannis Xenakis,1971

wmgaretjax
11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Also Xenakis related: http://www.redcat.org/event/ceait-festival-5 (i might come down for this depending on who is announced)

wmgaretjax
11-02-2010, 06:15 PM
i should add that, without a doubt, the most incredible music experience of my life was hearing a 6 channel version La Légende d'Eer in a music hall with a proper sound system.

TallGuyCM
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Can't go on Saturday, but the event in January looks intriguing.

wmgaretjax
11-02-2010, 06:47 PM
the event saturday sounds incredible.

bmack86
11-02-2010, 07:21 PM
So many damn things going on this weekend. Blast it.

Also, the CalArts theater has fantastic sound.

wmgaretjax
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
awesome. if they get Hecker or Russell Haswell out here, I'm there in a heartbeat.

bmack86
11-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I'll probably check out at least one day.

wmgaretjax
11-12-2010, 02:06 PM
OPEN MELODY
FRIDAY NOVEMBER 19TH 2010
ZS
ARRINGTON DE DIONYSO
of old time relijun, solo
XBXRX
FABULOUS DIAMONDS
UPSILON ACRUX
PIGEONS
ALAK
MOUNT SHOUT

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 20TH 2010
HIGH PLACES
NOBUNNY
THE DISKETTES
first show in over 3 years! "one night only!"
DUSTIN WONG
of Ponytail and Ecstatic Sunshine
SOFT CIRCLE
FOOT VILLAGE
RELIGIOUS GIRLS
CAPTAIN AHAB
EMPEROR X
SEAN MCCANN
WOMAN YEAR
AVOCADO HAPPY HOUR
HOLY GHOST PARTY
WONDER WHEEL
THE MUDDY FLOWERS
@ CROSS CULTURAL CENTER
FRIDAY | $7 DAY OF SHOW
SATURDAY | $10 DAY OF SHOW
BOTH DAYS | $14

bmack86
11-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Bah, just saw this, but it's in Irvine.

bmack86
11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Jandek, featuring Mike Watt on bass and BJ Miller of HEALTH on Drums

UC Irvine, January 8th. $20

I'll drive, who wants to carpool?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-29-2010, 08:27 PM
friend of mind is playing this, anybody know these acts? My friend is Endometrium Cuntplow

THE HATERS
+DOG+
AMK
ACTUARY
ENDOMETRIUM CUNTPLOW

18 December
Location Tribal Cafe
1651 W. Temple
Los Angeles, CA
7pm - 11:30pm
Donate $$$$ to the Tribal Cafe///Buy some food or beverage.
Vegan Options :)

bmack86
11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Haters is old school. I saw them as a one-piece open for Thurston Moore at the Smell and it was good.

bballarl
11-29-2010, 10:22 PM

So so so so jealous.

bmack86
11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Seriously LA people, you just gotta meet up with me near downtown and I'll drive. This is so going to be worth the trip. One of the ultimate legends of outsider music playing his first show in southern California with one of the best punk rock bass players ever and one of the more intense drummers on the new LA scene. It's going to be incredible.

TallGuyCM
11-30-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm in. Irvine's a bit of a trek, but not on a Saturday.

TallGuyCM
11-30-2010, 12:33 AM

Tickets here:

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/139412

wmgaretjax
11-30-2010, 08:00 AM
i might go down for Jandek. need to think about it though.

bmack86
11-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah dude, it's going to be a one-of-a-kind sorta show.

TallGuyCM
11-30-2010, 09:19 PM
i might go down for Jandek. need to think about it though.

Do it.

getbetter
11-30-2010, 09:52 PM
As long as it doesn't sell out in the next couple days I will be at Jandek.

wmgaretjax
12-16-2010, 09:59 AM
DECEMBER 17th, WHERE'S YOUR CHILD?
@ SHOWCAVE

From the minds of M. Geddes Gengras and Sun Araw comes

ALL THE HARD HOUSE, SUNRISE MIXES, AND ITALO YOU CAN HANDLE
LIVE SET by SFV ACID!!!
DJ SETS BY M. GEDDES GENGRAS
SUN ARAW
INTERESTING DRUGS
and more TBA!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Another how my buddy Dave i splaying:

MeowMeowz Rock Shop in Pasadena will host a noise show from 6-9pm.
$4 donation @ the door.
Music starts at 6pm sharp!

-Red Matter
http://www.myspace.com/needsmorenoise

-Walter Gross / Andy Ben
http://soundcloud.com/walter-gross

-Endometrium Cuntplow
http://www.myspace.com/endometriumcuntplow
http://endometriumcuntplow.bandcamp.com/

-Obscurer

wmgaretjax
12-16-2010, 10:18 AM
FYI Walter Gross rules. his So Fucken Ghetto tape is incredible.

wmgaretjax
12-25-2010, 01:08 PM
december twenty-six

brandon nickell
m geddes gengras
damion romero
rene hell

@

dem passwords
{7914 b santa monica blvd}

god dammit. i wish I could make this.

bmack86
12-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Fuck. I'd love to see Rene Hell again, but I'm not down there.

wmgaretjax
12-25-2010, 02:07 PM
brandon nickell and m geddes gengras are incredible live.

speaking of m geddes gengras... he is heading to jamaica soon to record a record with Sun Araw and The Congos. how fucking badass is that?

bmack86
12-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh holy crap. That sounds awesome. Just that Sun Araw and The Congos are together. That should be psychedelic as all hell.

wmgaretjax
01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Thursday 13.01.2011 @ The smell
Joseph hammer
Sean mccann
Orbless (Oakland, ca)
Terrors

definitely worth checking out. Joseph Hammer is a trip...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Wow, this thread hasn't been updated in a while! My friend Dave is playing this show in a couple weeks...anybody familiar with any of these folks?

ACTUARY
TOM HALL
+DOG+
RIVERVERB (SD)
MEMORIAL CERVIX (SD)
ENDOMETRIUM CUNTPLOW
CUDDLY CACTUS

(the) Handbag Factory
1336 S. Grand Ave
Los Angeles, CA
B.Y.O.B.

$5

jtovar21
05-28-2011, 05:59 PM
LOVE These Apt shows that have been happening. JUNE 17TH 9p - 12a

Boy Manor
970 Everett St. #1
Los Angeles, CA

Apartment show, music starts at 9 PM.

Bring $3-5 for the touring bands.

SPECULATOR
Dismantled pop songs swirling under layers of effects broadcast on flickering TV sets. http://speculator.bandcamp.com/

YELLOW CRYSTAL STAR (New Mexico)
Interstellar ambient/collage drone, fresh off an East coast public transportation tour, from Albuquerque. http://yellowcrystalstar.weebly.com/entrance.html

VAVAZ (New Mexico)
Live manipulations of film projections interplaying with melodic guitar noise, on tour from Albuquerque.

KEVIN GREENSPON
Fragile background melodies and tape collage detritus. Release show for new "Paradise A.D." 15 song CD on Bridgetown. http://kevingreenspon.info/

LEE NOBLE
Hazy songs swaying in the solar wind. Release show for new "Persona" cassette album on Bridgetown. http://leenoble.bandcamp.com/

Should have most or all of a new 15 album batch on Bridgetown ready for this... http://bridgetownrecords.info/p/upcoming-releases.html

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=210906288949724

This looks awesome!

wmgaretjax
05-28-2011, 06:38 PM
that should be a great show. yellow crystal star is awesome as are kevin greenspon and lee noble.

jtovar21
06-22-2011, 06:42 PM
TONIGHT 9 PM at Human Resources in Chinatown. Details on Facebook Event page.
=========================================

Jozef Van Wissem (minimalist Lute stylings)
Derek Monypeny (psychedelic Oud)
Monstro (folk praisings made in the dark future, Daniel Brummel, Ezra Buchla, Laura Steenberge, and Corey Fogel)
MatthewDavid (extraterrestrial zounds from beyond and within)

I am not going to go through the litany of sick and amazing releases these guys have made over the years, or the astounding almost logarithmic incredibleness factor of their musical growth. I won't mention their collaborations with James Blackshaw or members of Sun City Girls. Or their time in bands like Gowns or Oaxacan or Ozma or the Sanglorians or Missincinatti or the Mae Shi or their intense contributions to amazing organizations like Sublime Frequencies or Dublab but i will... all of this is connected, we are all connected.

$5 donation
bring dough to buy amazing releases from these great solo performers and support your local bands too
byob

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=232010690143024

TallGuyCM
06-23-2011, 01:59 AM
I am not going to go through the litany of sick and amazing releases these guys have made over the years, or the astounding almost logarithmic incredibleness factor of their musical growth. I won't mention their collaborations with James Blackshaw or members of Sun City Girls. Or their time in bands like Gowns or Oaxacan or Ozma or the Sanglorians or Missincinatti or the Mae Shi or their intense contributions to amazing organizations like Sublime Frequencies or Dublab but i will... all of this is connected, we are all connected.

...but you will only give people an hour notice. :nono

ZachTheEskimo
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah man, why ya gotta play us like that.

jtovar21
06-23-2011, 02:29 PM
...but you will only give people an hour notice. :nono

sorry guys.. I didn't know about it til day of. I recorded all sets tho, I missed half of Matthewdavid tho. But fucking Van Wissem was amazing! Moneypeny was great as well.

Smoking out with Cameron Stallones of Sun Araw was pretty cool too!

wmgaretjax
06-23-2011, 05:10 PM
going to that tour tonight in SF... but we get Orcutt!

wmgaretjax
10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
november3rd

earn
mirror to mirror
rene hell
matthew david

at

dem passwords

TallGuyCM
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Redemption!

bmack86
10-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Well, at least the MPRE isn't until the 5th

wmgaretjax
10-25-2011, 05:49 PM
i missed the MPRE registration deadline... guess i'm throwing it all in with the spring test... not that i'm worried about it... i don't think i've ever talked to anyone that failed it.

wmgaretjax
11-04-2011, 07:41 PM
anyone go to the rene hell/m2m/earn show? how was mirror to mirror? really want to go to the show tomorrow but i'm kinda slammed right now.

bmack86
11-04-2011, 07:45 PM
SONOFABITCH.

I missed it.

wmgaretjax
12-21-2011, 03:13 PM
nice:

January 4 @ Cat Nap
Driphouse
Rene Hell
Sean McCann and Matthew Sullivan
M. Geddes Gengras

January 5 @ Dem Passwords
Mandlebrot & Skyy
Cuticle
Julia Holter
Heat Wave

ods..
12-21-2011, 03:23 PM
shit. i wanna go to these but i'm back home on break...

bmack86
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Well I was super bummed about going back to LA early, but my mom has surgery on the 4th and I wanted to be there. Looks like I'll have two days of awesome shows to attend as well.

TallGuyCM
12-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Rene Hell. Third time's a charm. :)

wmgaretjax
12-21-2011, 03:53 PM
anyone that picks up any new rene hell and matthew sullivan/sean mccann cassettes for me will be considered a dear dear friend...

bmack86
12-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I'll be picking up whatever he has at this show, so I'll snag doubles of whatever I don't recognize.

wmgaretjax
12-21-2011, 08:45 PM
rad. much appreciated.

TallGuyCM
01-04-2012, 11:55 PM
M. Geddes Gengras and the McCann/Sullivan sets were absolutely fantastic tonight. Rene Hell was a major disappointment.

No merch or tapes or anything, sorry Jared.

wmgaretjax
01-05-2012, 12:26 AM
bummer he disappointed. he's been amazing 4 out of the 5 times I've seen him.

MGG is really starting to tear it up, and I can't wait to hear what sean and matt have cooking.

TallGuyCM
01-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Part of Sean and Matt's set was very Earn-y, which obviously is to my liking. :) And I had never heard of MGG before, but his set was really great. Hopefully he really catches on in the scene, I can see him doing good things.

TallGuyCM
01-05-2012, 12:35 AM
And Jared you probably would have liked Rene Hell's set. It was really off-putting and jarring, the kind of thing that I've noticed you like but that really isn't my thing.

I might have been more in the mood for it if I knew it was going to be like that going in, I dunno. It was just super out of left field, especially expecting the set to be TTS heavy.

bmack86
01-05-2012, 12:36 AM
It had a really great dark techno feel to it. I was highly impressed by MGG.

Rene seemed like he wanted to do a John Wiese-style set, but couldn't connect anything. It was a let down, but a free let down.

TallGuyCM
01-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Yeah, free parking + free show. Can't complain too much.

wmgaretjax
01-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Hopefully he really catches on in the scene, I can see him doing good things.

He's caught on pretty well I'd say... has tape releases on most of the big tape labels... releasing that weird dub project with Sun Araw that they already recorded in jamaica.

As for Rene Hell, I'm not surprised he's switched directions already. To be honest I was surprised I saw 3 separate shows of him doing TS/Canon-esque material.

bmack86
01-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm just shocked at the direction he went. It had absolutely no relation to the prior stuff he'd done under the name.

jtovar21
02-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Sean McCann & Matthew Sullivan / Rene Hell / Seraph Trev

March 10th Atwater Crossing

"VANITY FAIR" LP Release Show

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/330737536962898/

wmgaretjax
02-22-2012, 09:29 PM
the samples from the SM/MS LP sound fantastic. already ordered mine.

wmgaretjax
03-07-2012, 04:03 PM
joseph hammer replaced rene hell at that show. a definite treat. sad jeff isn't playing, but an awesome replacement.

bmack86
03-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Hmm...

I'll have to see now. I was really going for Jeff, but if you say that's a treat I may still be there.

pancakespancakes
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
http://emeraldcocoon.blogspot.com/

Emerald Cocoon presents TRAPDOOR FUCKING EXIT, a series of performances taking place inside Helga Fassonaki's Installation, Touching Them Touching Me - A Love Song for the Dead C at Human Resources gallery April 20 - 22, 2012.
Address: 410 Cottage Home St in Chinatown, 90012
$10 each night or $20 for all 3 nights!!

Friday April 20th, 7PM

TOM CARTER – Pete Swanson once described him to me as a ‘wizard’ and I think he might be right. His last solo set in LA was one of the most life-affirming demonstrations of the term ‘slow-burn’ that I have ever seen. And you weren’t there. Please use this opportunity to correct yourself.

BRIAN CROOK (NZ) – guitarist/vocalist from The Renderers/The Terminals/Flies Inside The Sun/The Max Block/Scorched Earth Policy etc etc etc. If these names mean nothing to you then you may as well stay at home. Hand down New Zealands best guitarist. Ask anyone.

GLANDS OF EXTERNAL SECRETION – reclusive legends Barbara Manning and Seymour Glass in their first LA performance (3rd performance in 18 years!). In 2003 they released a ‘no instruments’ cover of ‘Tubular Bells’. We have no idea what is going to happen.

QUEEN VICTORIA – “I’m basically only interested in acoustic noise now” – Nick Malkin aka Queen Victoria

YEK KOO – Helga will perform the whole of her new ‘Love Song for the Dead C’ LP in it’s entirety for the first time.

* plus a performance in absentia by ADAM WILLETTS (NZ) - Adam delivers a mailed-in dose of his non-denominational acid electronics from Christchurch.

Saturday April 21st, 7PM

CHARALAMBIDES – Forget obscure psych-folk reissue ‘gems’ hitting the shelves daily, you don’t have to look back to the pre-corporate takeover era to find modern psychedelic music of rare beauty. Tom and Christina Carter are perhaps the greatest living practitioners of the form in America. Having been through various configurations and conceptual approaches from avant-folk, through minimalist improvisation right out the other side into folk-form again over a period of 21 years they have consistently chosen the path less trodden, leaving behind them a body of work as monumental as that of Keiji Haino or The Dead C. Don’t get left behind in the wake of cheap party music and illusionary careerist cash dreams: there are visionaries in our midst.

500 MG – Michael Gibbons of psych warriors Bardo Pond performs in his 500mg guise for the first time in LA. Twisting/burning psilocybe mantras.

PURPLE PILGRIMS (NZ) – Sister duo from Christchurch, fog shrouded choral vox coated with distant reverb guitar. Immersive.

PETER KOLOVOS – Thin Wrist Recordings proprietor plays electric guitar like fireworks built out of stained glass.

GABIE STRONG – Local artist and bassist of Lady Noise. No-one knows what to expect - bass?

UN CIEGO – Plans to one day release something that isn’t a lathe-cut. Perhaps a one sided c20 in an edition of 5?

Sunday April 22nd, 6PM

MARYROSE CROOK (NZ) – Of The Renderers/The Max Block/Above Ground (whose sole cassette was recently reissued by Siltbreeze). Aching loose country psych ballads from one of the godmothers of the NZ underground.

LA LAKERS (NZ) - New Zealand facsimile of LA basketball team slam dunks improvised tape compositions.

METAL ROUGE – First LA show in a few months and probably the last for a few more. New material. Less interested than ever in ‘entertaining’ you.

DEREK ROGERS – Recent Texas transplant with a million tapes on a million labels everywhere. Laminal.

BAILOUTS – First performance from new duo unit made up of members of The Faraday Trippers and Shelter Death. Something’s brewing in the OC and it’s not just kopi luwak.

*plus a non-appearance performance by BILL ORCUTT – Bill unfortunately couldn’t be with us in person because he’s on tour, BUT he did give us an exclusive new work to premiere. New cubist blues, with no interest in your opinion.

pancakespancakes
04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
The short version of that post - Charalambides, Brian Crook (of The Renderers, The Terminals, Flies Inside The Sun etc.), Michael Gibbons (of Bardo Pond), etc. in tribute to THE DEAD C! This is a must-see.

bmack86
04-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I'm so fucking pissed this is going on when I'm at Coachella. My professor runs this venue, and what a lineup...

schoolofruckus
05-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Holy fuck...all these guys at one show?

RENE HELL + M. GEDDES GENGRAS + SEAN MCCANN + EARN + MIRROR TO MIRROR
Human Resources
Wednesday 5/16/12

bmack86
05-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Well that was awesome. Human Resources was on it with the sound tonight: very loud but also very very clear. Mirror to Mirror was really gorgeous, he did a great set of beatific ambient dance music that I thought was going to be my favorite set of the night. Earn did his thing, and I swear I've heard him do this same EXACT set before. That's fine since it's a good set, but kind of weird all the same. Sean McCann had advertised a quadraphonic set, and he delivered a really short and really engrossing piece of weird collage ambient noise stuff. The problem was that it was too short to really be engrossing. I liked what I heard but I wanted more. Geddes, on the other hand, killed it. He played at least 25 minutes, and both Gabe and I agreed that, in style and approach if not in sound, his set reminded us of Bee Mask's Canzoni album. It had a breadth of sound, but everything went together so perfectly, and it was very lush and developed. I've seen him before, but never this good. Rene Hell seems to no longer be an analog synth-based project. The past two times I've seen Jeff he did very similar laptop based sets. While last time was a disjointed mess, this time he took all the same disparate parts and blended them together much more masterfully. His was by far the loudest set of the night, and also far and away the most jarring. He would transition between uncomfortably loud droning tones and arrhythmic beat patterns with occasional drones over them. The way he played with the sounds was really impressive, and it was also great to watch people slowly wander out or put their hands on their ears when it got to be too piercing. I was highly impressed.

ods..
05-17-2012, 12:36 AM
jealous. sounds fun

schoolofruckus
05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
In addition to everything Bryan said (and we were at a total consensus), there was great visual accompaniment for basically everyone but Earn, for whom the white backing wall contained a dark, static projected image. Mirror to Mirror and Geddes both utilized 8-bit animation that alternately resembled interwoven fingerprints and infrared; it was essentially the same sequence both times, but it married up perfectly to both of these distinctive sets. The other two seemed to be doing their video sequencing themselves - McCann used a drifting piece looking outward from a front porch that he seemed to be layering various color saturation patterns over, while Jeff began with a reel of Telemundo runway bloopers and then transitioned into a tracksuit model struggling to drink from various bottles of liqueur. Among other things. Once I got over the fact that he would be sitting and scrolling with a mouse the whole time, it was a pretty awesome set.

bmack86
05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
ooh yeah, the videos were really complementary and well-done. Especially McCann's.

wmgaretjax
05-17-2012, 06:09 PM
jealous y'all. rene hell might be dead. Jeff released an edition of 25 tape on Agents of Chaos (where the majority of stuff in small runs is his) under the name Fusantane Mifume. his description said it was computer music...

cansei de ser sexme
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
https://www.facebook.com/events/435766799796916/

Tomorrow Mount Analog grand opening party, John Wiese and David Scott Stone for free.

schoolofruckus
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
For those who don't read the general Upcoming Shows thread - Rene Hell is opening the Oneohtrix Point Never show at the Echo on 8/21.

bmack86
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
OOOOOOO. Tits

schoolofruckus
07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Yep yep yep. Be there. The only downside is that he probably won't be tending bar for this one.

bmack86
07-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Hahaha. That's probably true, but on the flip he might actually sell some merch for a change since it's a bigger show.

send me ctrpllrs
07-16-2012, 06:55 PM
James Ferraro is opening as well. Want to see him too, but I'm much more excited for the other two. Bought my ticket already.

bmack86
07-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Oh, that's a really fun bill. James Ferraro was super interesting last time Oneohtrix played the Echo. And he has a penchant for choosing great openers: I thought Sun Araw was better than Oneohtrix that night.

TallGuyCM
07-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Sun Araw was better than Oneohtrix that night.

Absolutely. OPN was good, but Sun Araw really brought it that night.

Neither were as good as Fennesz was at Eagle Rock opening for Deakin the following night however...

IceyHotshot
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Neither were as good as Fennesz was at Eagle Rock opening for Deakin the following night however...

FUUUUU I missed Fennesz

wmgaretjax
07-17-2012, 07:56 AM
I've seen OPN quite a few times now... best set hands down was opening for Fennesz at Db. His set destroyed Fennesz's... it might have helped that it was longer than his usual set (probably 50-60 minutes). It also didn't help that Fennesz had The Sight Below join him for the last 1/4 of his set and it was abysmal.

pancakespancakes
08-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Everyone should most certainly come out to this one! There aren't a whole lot of other $5 shows these days...

Saturday August 18th
Human Resources Gallery

Mark McGuire
Sean McCann
M Geddes Gengras
Matthew Sullivan & Jeff Witscher (Earn + Rene Hell)
Infinite Body

pancakespancakes
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I must say, Mark McGuire's newer stuff posted to his soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/mark-mcguire) is sounding pretty good... despite his predictability. I have heard great things about Infinite Body's recent live sets, and I haven't seen him since 2010 so I'm especially excited for that too. I think this is the first performance of Sullivan & Witscher... really excited for that one too of course. Oh, and Sean McCann and M Geddes Gengras always kick ass live, as described above!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-15-2012, 04:43 PM
damn I'd LOVE to see Mark Maguire but I am out town this weekend.

IceyHotshot
08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Everyone should most certainly come out to this one! There aren't a whole lot of other $5 shows these days...

Saturday August 18th
Human Resources Gallery

Mark McGuire
Sean McCann
M Geddes Gengras
Matthew Sullivan & Jeff Witscher (Earn + Rene Hell)
Infinite Body

Fuck yes! Tickets at the door I assume?

bmack86
08-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Human Resources is really taking steps to replace Echo Curio as the awesome place to see experimental music. I will definitely be there, and I love seeing these sorts of lineups, just full of artists who will put on a great set.

bmack86
08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
And sorry, I didn't see your post Icey. They're always at the door. Decent sized capacity as well, so I've never seen it fill to the point where they won't let people in. If you get there early, it's in the same building as my favorite pho restaurant.

IceyHotshot
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Awesome, thanks. As always if you are open to it I'm willing to meet up. Either way it should be a good time.

bmack86
08-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll definitely be there. If you see me, come say hi. I'll let ya know what I'm wearing before I leave tomorrow.

IceyHotshot
08-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Sounds good; I'll do the same.

IceyHotshot
08-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Sounds good; I'll do the same.

I'll be in beige shorts, a black/gray short sleeve button down shirt, and wearing black-framed glasses.

bmack86
08-18-2012, 05:38 PM
I'll have on a Dodgers shirt and khaki shorts. And black rimmed square ray-ban glasses.

schoolofruckus
08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
So how was this, you assholes who got to attend?

bmack86
08-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Mark McGuire put on a really good, if somewhat disjointed, show. One long song that was more comprised of movements than truly would together, with a VHS that he had made backing him visually. The sounds were very Emeralds-lite, and well done. I liked him.

Infinite Body was more cohesive and song-oriented than I've ever seen him. He did some very dubbed-out vocals over tracks that retained some of his peaceful ambience while introducing fuzzier tones and even some suggestions of a beat. It was just him, like I've seen him before, but it was a bigger sounding show. I quite liked it.

Jeff Wirschter and Matthew Sullivan did a joint laptop set that expanded on the last few Rene Hell sets I've seen. It was super jarring digital noise stuff, but Sullivan added some rhythm to the proceedings. They had no visuals, and it seemed as if they were doing things in a very improvised fashion, as they kept talking back and forth during the set. It was brutally loud and harsh, but the beats made it more active than the last Rene Hell set. It was pretty killer.

Sean McCann did a very similar set to his last one: big, slow moving visuals with beautiful ambient keyboard tracks and some tape loops. He went for about 30 minutes, which was longer than I'm used to, and it all sounded blissful. I really enjoyed it, but it sits with Mark McGuire as the least artistically adventurous of the acts.

And then there's M. Geddes Gendras. I saved him for last because he was the best. He did his analog synth and video combo again. This time the video focused around the android-gymnast Makayla McKenzie doing the vault. He made an incredibly loud and churning synth piece over it, with some great melodies as well as electronic obfuscation and pure white noise blasts. He did at least 30 minutes of music and was absolutely stunning the whole time. His last set was my surprise favorite, and this one was even better. The guy is doing great shit and worth listening to.

schoolofruckus
08-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I get the distinct impression that I fucked up.

bmack86
08-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Well, it did go SUPER late (I think we were out of there around 2:15) and it was really hot, but long story short you fucked up. It was a pretty great night.

IceyHotshot
08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
I get the distinct impression that I fucked up.

Yep. I agree with what Bryan wrote about the event. I really liked all the artists, but Geddes blew me away. I bought some of his tapes online as soon as I got home. Also, really nice meeting you Bryan.

Schoolofruckus. don't fuck up twice: make it out to see William Basinksi this Sat.

bmack86
08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Likewise. It was a good time.

schoolofruckus
08-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Who all is going to OPN/Rene Hell tonight?

nosurprises12
08-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Icey, TallGuy, and myself will be there, and I think bmack might too?

bmack86
08-21-2012, 11:48 AM
I am still a maybe. We're having a potluck tonight so it depends on when that ends.

TallGuyCM
08-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Edit: Nvm: Rene Hell at 9, James Ferraro at 10, OPN at 11.

TallGuyCM
08-22-2012, 01:00 AM
Real tight show tonight.

nosurprises12
08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I had a good time last night too. OPN was probably my favorite of the three, but Rene Hell's short set was pretty enjoyable as well. Good hanging out with TallGuy and Icey, and it was nice to meet schoolofruckus as well!

bmack86
08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
What was Rene Hell like? What sorta set up did he use?

nosurprises12
08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
It was just him with sitting on a stool with a laptop; he played for about 25 minutes, and it was very, very noisy - lots of awesomely weird tones, textures, panning effects, etc.. Paul could probably give you a better idea of what it sounded like, but he did say he recognized a little bit from his set on Saturday.

TallGuyCM
08-22-2012, 12:24 PM
What was Rene Hell like? What sorta set up did he use?

It had some similarities to what we saw at the Catnip a few months ago, but there was an underlying current holding it altogether that that show didn't have. I liked it.

He had a laptop, that's all I remember seeing.

bmack86
08-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Ok, sounds like he's continuing with the stuff he's been doing then. How about OPN? What was that set up?

TallGuyCM
08-22-2012, 01:13 PM
A laptop and a few pads (I'm clueless in regards to what those are called and what they actually do).

His set was very Replica-heavy, a lot more variety than the set we saw in '10. That set I seem to remember being rather subtle and minimal (and a set where he was ultimately outshined by Sun Araw), and this was very noisy, even disjointed at times, and he threw in a few bangers too that were fun. The openers were good, but OPN was the highlight this time.

send me ctrpllrs
08-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Ugh... sounds like a good one. Second time I've had a ticket for him and didn't want to drive up there. One of these days I'll see OPN.

IceyHotshot
08-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I thought Rene Hell was the best of the bunch, but I'd also never listened to Replica and like OPN mostly for Returnal and the Rifts anthology. Bryan, I'm not very good about tlking about music (probably because I've never read about music much) so I can't go very in-depth but I thought Jeff's set was more pure noise this time. The percussive elements and sense of improvisation were absent (which makes sense since he was solo and not collaborating with Matthew Sullivan) and instead we had a completely continuous, abrasive yet somehow warm, enveloping of noise for 25 minutes. He really benefitted from the Echo's sound system; his set felt powerful and immersive.

IceyHotshot
08-22-2012, 01:53 PM
And yes, I recognized small samples or pieces of what we heard Saturday in his set last night, but they were used differently.

TallGuyCM
08-22-2012, 03:28 PM
He really benefitted from the Echo's sound system; his set felt powerful and immersive.

Absolutely. There were moments where he singled out the left and right speakers, and it gave it a surround sound effect. Really cool.

schoolofruckus
08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I agree with pretty much everything said here already, and will throw in a "good to meet you, Paul and Jason!"

IceyHotshot
08-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh yes, good to meet you as well, Gabe :)

bmack86
08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I really like his new noise set that he's been doing. Bummed I missed it.

wmgaretjax
08-22-2012, 07:51 PM
what about ferraro fellas?

TallGuyCM
08-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Ferraro was alright. Definitely the weakest of the three though.

schoolofruckus
08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
I was pretty bored by it. I had ZERO memory of his set the last time he opened for OPN, and I would imagine it'll be the same with this set in a week's time.

nosurprises12
08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
From what I could recognize it sounded like Ferraro did a lot of stuff from his release as Bebetunes; the first half didn't really have any drum programming, but he brought that in during the second half of the set.

IceyHotshot
08-23-2012, 08:55 AM
I've already forgotten everything about his set.

wmgaretjax
08-25-2012, 07:18 PM
For this thread:

Jeff Witscher/Matthew Sullivan/Sean McCann - Barb (http://www.mediafire.com/?dmqd2m6d9c0ywd7)

IceyHotshot
08-25-2012, 07:38 PM
For this thread:

Jeff Witscher/Matthew Sullivan/Sean McCann - Barb (http://www.mediafire.com/?dmqd2m6d9c0ywd7)

Nice, thank you.

IceyHotshot
09-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Friday September 21st - Human Resources - Ensemble Economique, Yek Koo, Gul Bara

Anyone ever listened to any of these guys? If it wasn't the same night as Six Organs of Admittance I'd go just out of curiousity.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Grant Capes, former 1/2 owner of the Echo Curio and was in Sleepwalkers Local and Obscurer is forming a new group with my buddy Dave aka Endomentrium Cuntplow, called Cessation and they have a tape in the works for release soonish. Should be good stuff.

bmack86
09-14-2012, 10:38 PM
He's one of the owners of Human Resources as well. Grant's a badass.

TallGuyCM
12-08-2012, 04:21 PM
The Santa Ana Noise Fest (SANF 4) returns for its fourth installment to the Orange County Center for Contemporary Art at 117 North Sycamore, Santa Ana, CA 92701.

Festivities begin at 5:00 PM on
Saturday December 8th, 2012.
This event is FREE!

This celebration of all things experimental, improvised, distorted and loud offers an opportunity for interested parties to test their earplugs with performances from:

Brutal Poodle, Cold Grey Eye, Craig Sibley, +DOG+, Endometrium Cuntplow, Grizzly, Jesus Is Dead, phog masheeen, Six Mystic Points, Randy Jim, XSXCXEXBX and Yard Goat.

A unique feature of the Santa Ana Noise Fest is the “Noise Circle” at the end of the event. This offers an opportunity for all the performers to play together blending their unique approaches to sound production into a swirling vortex of sound.

The proximity of the date of the SANF 4 to the end of the Mayan Calendar prompted the promoters to suggest that the “Noise Circle” could be used in a ritual manner for “Opening a rift to the end of the world.”