paulb
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
not the only thing that sucks.

menikmati
03-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Nothing to be proud of.

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
The best band to come out of San Diego would probably be No Knife. Trailing behind them would be Pinback. Other than that, we dont have much to show for. Too many other things to do here besides start a band that doesn't suck.

pancakespancakes
03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
We've done really well in 2009 moving into 2010, though, between The Soft Pack, Crocodiles, Wavves (shut up), Dum Dum Girls... none of them are really my style but they're quality stuff.

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I think they all suck.

Suck, you hear me?

HAMMERHEAD
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
the music scene here has definitely seen its better days. i remember going to 3-5 shows a month around here and now almost all of the shows i attend are in LA or elsewhere.

GrossMagic
03-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Delta Spirit is a good one. I think SD is fighting hard to bring up their music scene. I am optimistic for the future.

bonerfromgrowingpains
03-08-2010, 01:19 PM
so the question is: do i move from NYC to SD not because of the music scene, but to get back to the beach? is there any sort of DJ scene? i fucking love SD, including the amazing food and women...but is that because i do not live there? thoughts please. i have an interview out there in a few weeks...

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
You're dead.

bonerfromgrowingpains
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
You're dead.

elaborate please...nothing is in stone and will probably wisen up before the interview even happens.

travolta
03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
we gave the world Jewel and Stone beer!

travolta
03-08-2010, 01:31 PM
so the question is: do i move from NYC to SD not because of the music scene, but to get back to the beach? is there any sort of DJ scene? i fucking love SD, including the amazing food and women...but is that because i do not live there? thoughts please. i have an interview out there in a few weeks...

yes our women are lovely. hands off!

Still-ill
03-08-2010, 01:33 PM
the music scene here has definitely seen its better days.

Go on.

TallGuyCM
03-08-2010, 01:33 PM
we gave the world Jewel

Incorrect.

travolta
03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Incorrect.

??? back it up.

HAMMERHEAD
03-08-2010, 01:43 PM

the scene is pretty small but places like Voyeur have been pulling in some of the top DJs in the world since it opened last year. Calvin Harris, Boys Noize, Simian Mobile Disco, Steve Angello, Kaskade, Donald Glaude, Felix da Housecat, Bloody Beetroots, Laidback Luke, Hot Chip (DJ),Fedde le Grande, Ettiene de Crecy, Cosmic Gate, A-Trak, Sebastian Ingrosso, etc, etc etc have all come through on separate nights since the place opened up last summer. and thats just naming a few of the top acts (many of which i personally am not too fond of)they've pulled, there have been plenty more lesser known but equally respectable acts to come through voyeur. Not to mention they have fake blood, jack beats, boy 8-bit, felix cartal, and harvard bass all playing in the coming month.

so to sum it up, yes there is a scene but it is limited to 1 very-small but lavish venue

travolta
03-08-2010, 01:46 PM
so to sum it up, yes there is a scene but it is limited to 1 very-small but lavish venue

forgot abt. OBEC. got a decent underground here as well but we'll always be LA's bitch.

sonofhal
03-08-2010, 01:47 PM
The best band to come out of San Diego would probably be No Knife. Trailing behind them would be Pinback. Other than that, we dont have much to show for. Too many other things to do here besides start a band that doesn't suck.

http://991.com/newGallery/Rocket-From-The-Crypt-The-Name-Of-The-B-414373.jpg

pancakespancakes
03-08-2010, 01:49 PM
http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/2459-yank-crime.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Suck.

TallGuyCM
03-08-2010, 01:52 PM
http://991.com/newGallery/Rocket-From-The-Crypt-The-Name-Of-The-B-414373.jpg

Fun Fact: My landlord back in '02 when I lived in Point Loma was John Reis' dad, John Reis Sr.

TallGuyCM
03-08-2010, 01:53 PM
??? back it up.

Well, for starters it's common knowledge that she's from Alaska. Sure, maybe she slummed around in SD for a period trying to catch a break. But that doesn't mean SD "gave the world Jewel."

bonerfromgrowingpains
03-08-2010, 01:57 PM
source wiki - "Jewel was born in Payson, Utah. Shortly after her birth, her family moved to Homer, Alaska."

sonofhal
03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Fun Fact: My landlord back in '02 when I lived in Point Loma was John Reis' dad, John Reis Sr.

Fun Fact - I nearly choked to death at a Rocket From The Crypt show once. Some cock with one of those really long keychains was crowdsurfing and the chain caught on my neck. Not fun. I had a chain shaped bruise for weeks.

TallGuyCM
03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
source wiki - "Jewel was born in Payson, Utah. Shortly after her birth, her family moved to Homer, Alaska."

Yeah, I know what wiki says. I would say where you're from is where you grew up.

Like, I could have been born in New York, but if I grew up mostly in Southern California then that's where I'm from.

TallGuyCM
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Fun Fact - I nearly choked to death at a Rocket From The Crypt show once. Some cock with one of those really long keychains was crowdsurfing and the chain caught on my neck. Not fun. I had a chain shaped bruise for weeks.

That sounds awful!

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Seriously. I would hate to be at one of their shows.

bonerfromgrowingpains
03-08-2010, 02:01 PM
the scene is pretty small but places like Voyeur have been pulling in some of the top DJs in the world since it opened last year. Calvin Harris, Boys Noize, Simian Mobile Disco, Steve Angello, Kaskade, Donald Glaude, Felix da Housecat, Bloody Beetroots, Laidback Luke, Hot Chip (DJ),Fedde le Grande, Ettiene de Crecy, Cosmic Gate, A-Trak, Sebastian Ingrosso, etc, etc etc have all come through on separate nights since the place opened up last summer. and thats just naming a few of the top acts (many of which i personally am not too fond of)they've pulled, there have been plenty more lesser known but equally respectable acts to come through voyeur. Not to mention they have fake blood, jack beats, boy 8-bit, felix cartal, and harvard bass all playing in the coming month.

thanks...to me, with those names it would seem that the scene there is mad young. but it's like that most places now. goddamn i got old...

bonerfromgrowingpains
03-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I know what wiki says. I would say where you're from is where you grew up.

Like, I could have been born in New York, but if I grew up mostly in Southern California then that's where I'm from.

sure...it was not a shot, simply a quote. im from north goddamncarolina. but i dont tell many people that.

HAMMERHEAD
03-08-2010, 02:05 PM
we'll always be LA's bitch.

this. its an inherent disadvantage of living within 100 miles of one of the largest metropolitan centers on the planet.

I think SD is fighting hard to bring up their music scene. I am optimistic for the future.

things have gotten a little better in recent times and i really only see them getting better. it seemed like there was a lull there for a few years and i think we're only beginning to recover from it. our venue situation needs some SERIOUS work thats for sure...

travolta
03-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, for starters it's common knowledge that she's from Alaska. Sure, maybe she slummed around in SD for a period trying to catch a break. But that doesn't mean SD "gave the world Jewel."

if it wasn't for our nice weather and coffee shops, she would of never nurtured her talents. she even came back to Java Joe's and did free shows in appreciation. she believes it. we believe it!

HAMMERHEAD
03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
thanks...to me, with those names it would seem that the scene there is mad young. but it's like that most places now. goddamn i got old...

well keep in mind that's who i'm paying attention to because 1) i'm young and 2) into house music.

i was just trying to illustrate the fact that there has been a recent revival of interest in San Diego by international DJs, which means the prospect of finding something you like here is becoming more promising.

bonerfromgrowingpains
03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
well keep in mind that's who i'm paying attention to because 1) i'm young and 2) into house music.

i was just trying to illustrate the fact that there has been a recent revival of interest in San Diego by international DJs, which means the prospect of finding something you like here is becoming more promising.

again...thanks to you for taking the time to post something helpful as opposed to being a total dick.

not that you've been a dick, just saying comparatively speaking to many many many other boardies...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-08-2010, 02:32 PM
http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/2459-yank-crime.jpg

i LOVE this album!

Current San Diego bands I like a lot are Weatherbox, Lanterns, and A Scribe Amidst The Lions

Also, the Locust and affiliated bands are from San Diego, as well as Swing Kids

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Jesus Christ I hate the Locust.

HAMMERHEAD
03-08-2010, 03:36 PM
i LOVE this album!

Current San Diego bands I like a lot are Weatherbox, Lanterns, and A Scribe Amidst The Lions

someone on these boards is dating the bassist from Lanterns haha

HAMMERHEAD
03-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Jesus Christ I hate the Locust.

i don't know whats worse, the Locust or their fans. i knew kids that would act like the locust is the second coming of christ.

daftsquirrel
03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
i LOVE this album!

Also, the Locust and affiliated bands are from San Diego, as well as Swing Kids

I LOVE LANTERNS!!! They are so damn good. :pulse

I also love Weatherbox...you should definitely check out Japandi and Suffaluffagus

http://www.myspace.com/japandi
http://www.myspace.com/snuffiq

TallGuyCM
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Japandi?!?? Like Japanther and Japandroids wasn't enough?

Still-ill
03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
and Japancakes

daftsquirrel
03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
yeah yeah but they do make very nice music

Still-ill
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
and Japanpipes

daftsquirrel
03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
what about the band Tanner??....does anyone remember them!?

HAMMERHEAD
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
japandi is by far the best of the japan portmanteau bands and probably one of the best bands to ever come out of SD imo. japandi shows outside the che have been one of my favorite summer traditions since high school. their live performances are seriously moving, it hurts my heart that they rarely play anymore :(

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9cir3mly
seriously listen to this cd, it's one of my top 3 favorite albums of all time.

lanterns are also a really good SD band, excellent live. weatherbox doesn't really cut it for me but i know a lot of people are into them.

GaragePoet
03-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Vokab Kompany... 7-piece live hip hop, electronic, funk, rock combo. i am biased but it is good stuff...

PJandBompton
03-11-2010, 10:45 AM
this. its an inherent disadvantage of living within 100 miles of one of the largest metropolitan centers on the planet.

things have gotten a little better in recent times and i really only see them getting better. it seemed like there was a lull there for a few years and i think we're only beginning to recover from it. our venue situation needs some SERIOUS work thats for sure...

fucking terrible. the people that run them are not very good minus the Casbah and Voyeur, otherwise it's pretty bad...I promote and it's hard to even get fucking emails back from some of these people...

it doesn't help that LA is up the road and the laws are very strict...it definitely hurts alot not being able to have many 18+/21+ venues besides HOB...

sonofhal
03-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Do The Album Leaf count as a San Diego band? If so, well done.

PJandBompton
03-24-2010, 10:53 PM

definitely

grain
04-05-2010, 12:20 AM
the greyboy allstars...

PassiveTheory
04-05-2010, 12:38 AM
How in god's name did I miss this thread!? Hahahahahahah.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

But seriously, the only good thing coming out of San Diego as of late would be Christmas Island. Them, The Soft Pack, who made the obvious decision to hightail it out of that hell hole the minute they had any marginal success.

As for Dum Dum Girls, they make me miss Grand Ole Party like you wouldn't believe.

hawkingvsreeve
04-05-2010, 12:47 AM
All of those bands suck.

PJandBompton
04-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Vokab Kompany... 7-piece live hip hop, electronic, funk, rock combo. i am biased but it is good stuff...

you are in Vokab right? i've got a couple ideas to throw out to you guys...i'll hit your inbox...

Anyways i'm looking at starting a club night once a month called Bridging the Gap...it will be a mixed genre show with everyone playing live...the first show will have an electro band playing live w/ guitars etc...two indie bands...a hip-hop artist w/ live band and possibly another artist...first show looks to be early summer...have too much going on this Wiz/Fashawn show so need to stay focused on that...excited for things though!

pancakespancakes
04-05-2010, 02:04 PM

They are very much a product of the San Diego music scene. Their primary member, Jimmy LaValle, is/was also a member of one of our other great local groups Tristeza (who also play in what one might call the "post rock" genre.) He also played in some other notable San Diego bands, and even was playing keyboards for The Locust at one point (which is kinda hilarious). The Album Leaf live band consists of members of other notable San Diego bands, like Black Heart Procession, and usually a couple Tristeza members.

Tristeza are a sweet band. Nothing original, just really great at what they do. I prefer them to Album Leaf.

PJandBompton
04-24-2010, 03:43 AM

hit your PM and you guys website about a show...couldn't find a booking email...

eturnol
06-05-2010, 12:17 AM
4th and b could be great if someone put some time and money into renovating it. The surrounding area has been overrun by bums though. Are there any old theater style venues in SD like there are in LA?

Californicator
06-05-2010, 07:54 AM
4th and b could be great if someone put some time and money into renovating it. The surrounding area has been overrun by bums though. Are there any old theater style venues in SD like there are in LA?

North Park's Birch Theatre reminds me of the Fox in Pomona, only smaller. I saw Chromeo play a free show there last year.

lawney
06-05-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtlcaA5yEBQ

missleslie
06-08-2010, 03:53 PM

San Diego has the Spreckels Theater downtown but that's about it