View Full Version : The Sneezing Thread

TomAz
03-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Achoo.

best parts start at 0:56.

e2QAGVMlns4

marooko
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
holy fuck I was hoping this was in here. Been meaning to look for it. thank you.

PotVsKtl
XIb7HxZvpNo

marooko
5 seconds in. The anticipation is killing me. I LOVE IT!!!!

Pixiessp
03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm perfect. Nothing comes out of my nose or mouth when I sneeze.

Devin the Dude
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Tom..

I was wrong about you.

Good thread man. :thu

TomAz
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
well that's depressing.

Mr.Dolo
03-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I just sneezed.

Grant
03-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Remember kids, sneeze in the collar of your shirt, not your arm. And definitely not your hands.

TomAz
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
or you could just use a tissue.

bleep
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
FzRH3iTQPrk

Mr.Dolo
03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I just sneezed into my neckerchief.

TomAz
03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
"Pale Blue Eyes" has been stuck in my head all day. Linger on... Things could be much worse.

marooko
03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Panda video is a cut-n-paste job.

Mr.Dolo
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I just sneezed into my top hat.

IDCrisis
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
At the 13 sec mark, I swear I saw the large Panda with a look of, WTF?

marooko
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah, never mind covering your fucking mouth. Dirt bag. Fuck the flu shot!!

But damn that video rocks!!

Mr.Dolo
03-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I just sneezed and the blood rushed to my head ..... then I started to lose consciousness.

As I started blacking out , I saw my life pass before my watery eyes.

"I lived fast and the Big Willy lifestyle finally has caught up" came speeding through my mind as my body started falling , like a pencil off the tip of a desk.

Was this the way I would go? Was this the way that my life would end? I lived a humble life and tried to do whats best, was this the death I earned?

As I lied motionless on my Space Jam comforter I heard the voice again.

"Wake up"

"Wake up"

My head had become a empty hallway and like a rubber ball ,this voices baritone rumble bounced on every wall. With every passing second another push to get out of my state I finally noticed who's voice it was. It was mine. As I battled to ....

w/e long story short I sneezed.

TomAz
03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I appreciate the enthusiasm but I think you might be overdoing it a tad.

VicVinegar
03-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I keep trying to sneeze but can't. The urge comes then it just goes. It is very frustrating. I wish I was like Libbie from that episode of Pete & Pete where she would look at the sun and it would make her sneeze.

Edit: Got it done. It was good.

TomAz
03-02-2010, 03:57 AM
if you need to sneeze and can't, stare into a light.

Mr.Dolo
03-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I sneezed and got my computer tux dirty.

amyzzz
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Jacob sneezes whenever sunlight touches him.

TomAz
03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
He's a vampire. I knew it.

VicVinegar
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
SYAhC5hrOkk

miscorrections
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
if you need to sneeze and can't, stare into a light.

I've sneezed off of heat waves on car hoods and asphalt and the like. It's immensely satisfying.

TomAz
03-02-2010, 12:59 PM
do you mean you inhaled the heat wave fumes and they caused you to sneeze, or do you mean that merely looking at them was enough to trigger it?

york707
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I ususally sneeze when I first walk outside on a sunny day. Usually several times. I like to say that I am allergic to the sun.

TomAz
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Photic sneezing reflex. (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=looking-at-the-sun-can-trigger-a-sneeze)

Looking at the Sun Can Trigger a Sneeze
For some people, bright lights mean big sneezes
By Karen Schrock

Have you ever emerged from a matinee movie, squinted into the sudden burst of sunlight and sneezed uncontrollably? Up to a third of the population will answer this question with an emphatic "Yes!" (whereas nearly everyone else scratches their head in confusion). Sneezing as the result of being exposed to a bright light—known as the photic sneeze reflex—is a genetic quirk that is still unexplained by science, even though it has intrigued some of history's greatest minds.

Aristotle mused about why one sneezes more after looking at the sun in The Book of Problems: "Why does the heat of the sun provoke sneezing?" He surmised that the heat of the sun on the nose was probably responsible.

Some 2 ,000 years later, in the early 17th century, English philosopher Francis Bacon neatly refuted that idea by stepping into the sun with his eyes closed—the heat was still there, but the sneeze was not (a compact demonstration of the fledgling scientific method). Bacon's best guess was that the sun's light made the eyes water, and then that moisture ("braine humour," literally) seeped into and irritated the nose.

Humours aside, Bacon's moisture hypothesis seemed quite reasonable until our modern understanding of physiology made it clear that the sneeze happens too quickly after light exposure to be the result of the comparatively sluggish tear ducts. So neurology steps in: Most experts now agree that crossed wires in the brain are probably responsible for the photic sneeze reflex.

A sneeze is usually triggered by an irritation in the nose, which is sensed by the trigeminal nerve, a cranial nerve responsible for facial sensation and motor control. This nerve is in close proximity to the optic nerve, which senses, for example, a sudden flood of light entering the retina. As the optic nerve fires to signal the brain to constrict the pupils, the theory goes, some of the electrical signal is sensed by the trigeminal nerve and mistaken by the brain as an irritant in the nose. Hence, a sneeze.

But because this harmless (albeit potentially embarrassing) phenomenon doesn't seem to be linked with any other medical condition, scientific study of the subject has been scarce. Research has done little more than document its existence and attempt to gauge its prevalence. No rigorous studies exist, but informal surveys peg 10 to 35 percent of the population as photic sneezers. A study in the 1960s showed that the trait is autosomal-dominant—the gene is neither on the X nor Y chromosome and only one copy of the gene has to be present for the trait to be expressed—so if one parent sneezes when they look at a bright light, about half of his or her children will, too.

The genetic culprit remains unidentified, but scientists are starting to take an interest in trying to find out. "I think it's worth doing," says Louis Ptácek, a neurologist at the University of California, San Francisco, and an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Ptácek studies episodic disorders such as epilepsy and migraine headaches, and he believes that investigating the photic sneeze reflex could shed light on their related neurology.

Epileptic seizures are sometimes triggered by flashing lights and migraine headaches are often accompanied by photophobia. "If we could find a gene that causes photic sneezing, we could study that gene and we might learn something about the visual pathway and some of these other reflex phenomena," Ptácek says.

But until he and his colleagues find the right families for their study, the photic sneeze reflex will remain something of a genetic novelty act, like the ability to roll your tongue. Although a 1993 paper in the journal Military Medicine raised concerns that light-induced sneezing might endanger fighter pilots, for whom a split second of lost vision could be lethal in certain situations, such fear was largely put to rest when a small study found that wearing sunglasses eliminated the effect.

Beyond that blip of gravitas, papers published about photic sneezing have largely leaned toward the whimsical end of the spectrum. Consider one 1978 publication that took advantage of the then-raging acronym fad and suggested an alternate name for the photic sneeze reflex: Autosomal-dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome, or, of course, ACHOO.

miscorrections
03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
do you mean you inhaled the heat wave fumes and they caused you to sneeze, or do you mean that merely looking at them was enough to trigger it?

Looking at heat waves.

Mr.Dolo
03-02-2010, 03:36 PM
I sneezed looking at the stars last night and I wondered....

Did anyone hear me?
Did anyone feel my sneeze?
Did anyone feel me?

The Universe is a room and I'm just dust on some cheerios, being pushed and pulled as the spoon scoops up and destroy's what the box of life poured in.

I sneezed today.

That sneeze changed my life.

yeahfontaine
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Wow, that's deep.

Sing it with me now...

"Cheer-i-o dust...All we are is Cheer-i-o dust..."

Mr.Dolo
03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I sneezed on my old yearbook today.

Looking back at me at 15 , I remember the good times. The kickball and curly fries. My first concert and my first new huffy. Life was so simple and happy bath then. Everything was sunshine and lolipops. I would have never thought id end up this way.

becomingcloser
03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I absolutely hate to sneeze. Every sneeze I ever have turns into at least five more.

davrone
03-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I absolutely hate to sneeze. Every sneeze I ever have turns into a at least five more.

QFT

ivankay
03-03-2010, 02:27 PM
o2dWtK3tRpo

mountmccabe
03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I like to say that I am allergic to the sun.

I have said this too. High five.

TomAz
03-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Is it just me or is allergy season particularly strong here lately in AZ?

Finally broke down and got some Claritin last night.

Mr.Dolo
03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
I sneezed my cig into the gutter today.

OnlyNonStranger
03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Cigarettes are bad for you anyway.

mountmccabe
03-08-2010, 10:37 AM
They are bad for gutters, too.

Mr.Dolo
03-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Last night , I sneezed on the train back home. I saw my reflection covered in boogie oogies and thought to my self "What am I doing with my life?" I'm 22 and Ive spent all my time either in school or at home sleeping and what has that amounted to?

TomAz
04-28-2010, 07:03 AM
So I have made two trips to the east coast since Coachella and every time I come back to Az I start sneezing like crazy. it's been two months of this shit now. Time to pack up your shit and call it a springtime, plants.

amyzzz
06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Oh, it's YOUR thread.

I can quote that last post verbatim. I've been struggling since Coachella.

marooko
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
The video in the first post is still one of my all time favorites.

jamielynn
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
every morning i sneeze two times... every morning

donkey sex
06-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Admission: I sneeze like five or six times in a row. Violently. People look at watch ("when it over").

Courtney
06-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I sneeze in twos. Always.

BROKENDOLL
06-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm not a frequent sneezer, but every once in awhile, and with no reasonable explanation, I'll sneeze like 5 or 6 times in a row, and it's like someone opened the gates to the snot factory for the next 24 miserable hours. I don't think it's allergies because I don't have any other symptoms and it usually stops within those 24 hours, but the amount of snot is unbelievable. It's like I want to tie one of those buckets they use to feed horses with to the front of my face until it stops.

TomAz
06-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Oh, it's YOUR thread.

I can quote that last post verbatim. I've been struggling since Coachella.

actually my allergies have been abating the last week or two. it's getting hot, the plants are all closing up for summer.

amyzzz
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
That gives me hope, at least. I'm trying Sudafed today, and it seems to be working when it didn't work before. No sneezes!

wscmx13
06-02-2010, 10:32 AM
i cant sneeze with my eyes closed