PDA

View Full Version : Is Coachella the greatest music festival in the world???

rasooli
02-28-2010, 09:32 PM
In my opinion it is....I went in 07' and it was the three greatest days of my life (and I'm VERY pumped for this one). I been to other ones: Outlands Festival, Treasure Island Music Festival, Rock the Bells....and Coachella BLEW these out of the water. Granted I've never been to any of the epic European festivals such as Glastonbury; but I just can't imagine them being better than the utopia that is Coachella.

rasooli
02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
...........among all the things I've done in my entire life, the two things that just totally took my breath away were my Coachella 07' experience and watching the Beatles Love Cirque de Solei show in Vegas.

juloxx
02-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Probably

ballroomdancer22
02-28-2010, 10:05 PM
but maybe not

Distorted_Jungle
03-01-2010, 06:03 AM
It's the best in the united states for sure, but the world is a tough thing to say when i have never been to any international festvials.

superfiction
03-01-2010, 06:04 AM
to answer your question, yes.

TomAz
03-01-2010, 06:30 AM
...........among all the things I've done in my entire life, the two things that just totally took my breath away were my Coachella 07' experience and watching the Beatles Love Cirque de Solei show in Vegas.

you don't get out much do you

Neighborhood Creep
03-01-2010, 07:09 AM
I personally like Bonnaroo for the 4 days, the much longer sets and the latenight shows.

Coachella is much nicer image wise and has picked out better headliners (although Muse is weak this year)

If Bonnaroo had the Sahara tent it would be hands down Roo.

If Coachella had late night sets it'd be hands down Coachella

DjPhysix
03-01-2010, 07:23 AM
I am definitely a rookie by most standards of music festivals but I went to Coachella & Primavera Sound in Barcelona last year and Coachella won that comparison by a landslide.

tigermilkboy
03-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Having been to Coachella and most of the major European festivals, I have to say that the likes of Glastonbury, Reading, T In The Park, Benicassim are better in many ways. Glastonbury is like Burning Man and Coachella in one. It is huge! You can go an entire weekend and not listen to music. I doubt you could go to Coachella and do that.
However, not to knock Coachella because it delivers a excellent, unique experience. The culture at Euro festivals is more relaxed-you aren't stuck in designated alcohol areas and more under 21's attend.
Without doubt Coachella is the best music festival in California. The world? IMHO no!

C DUB YA
03-01-2010, 07:35 AM
In my opinion it is....I went in 07' and it was the three greatest days of my life (and I'm VERY pumped for this one). I been to other ones: Outlands Festival, Treasure Island Music Festival, Rock the Bells....and Coachella BLEW these out of the water. Granted I've never been to any of the epic European festivals such as Glastonbury; but I just can't imagine them being better than the utopia that is Coachella.

You haven't been to enough festivals to say the "best in the world" thing. You haven't even been to Roo or Lolla. Coachella does blow Outlands, Bells, and Treasure Island away.

But best in the world? Probably not.

Glastonbury from a pure line-up, amount of acts perspective is usually superior. Sure they usually have crappier weather, but from what they offer from as a whole festival experience, I think it's it's better. But you have to go to realize this.

Same goes for Reading.

Big B
03-01-2010, 07:39 AM
No one in this thread is going to disagree with that. And yes 2007 was the best year ever!

C DUB YA
03-01-2010, 07:41 AM
I disagree with that, and 2004/1999 were the best Coachellas.

billtino
03-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Greatest in the world? Guess that depends on where in the world you live....Most American's I know don't travel abroad to attend music festivals, but I hear the Sziget Festival in Obudai Island (off Hungarian coast) is a monster of a festival. One whole week! Now that's insane!

http://www.sziget.hu/fesztival/?language=en

Coachella is but a drive away, so of course my favorite.

beavington
03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I cant say that it is the best in the world because i have never been to one of the euro festivals. I am not even sure I would want to go to one of the euro festivals.
But of all the festivals I have attended Lolla 92, 94, 95 Coachella 04, 06, 08, 09 and Sasquatch 07 and Outsidelands 09 I would have to say Coachella is the best.

Lollapalooza of the past were great but only one day made me want more.

I love the 3-day coachella affair.

So in my little mind it is the best and that is all that matters.

ShyGuy75
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
to answer your question, no...not even close.

liquidsnake28
03-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Outlands Festival, Treasure Island Music Festival, Rock the Bells....
Those are some weak fests to compare it to so of course it blows those away.

to answer your question, yes.

You're a fucking idiot.

I personally like Bonnaroo for the 4 days, the much longer sets and the latenight shows.

Coachella is much nicer image wise and has picked out better headliners (although Muse is weak this year)

If Bonnaroo had the Sahara tent it would be hands down Roo.

If Coachella had late night sets it'd be hands down Coachella

This, and it's not just the headliners. Coachella always has a better lineup overall. The lack of a noise curfew (among other things) does make roo an exceptionally better festival experience.

billtino
03-01-2010, 11:17 AM
If I could sneak away from the old lady I'd probably go to Summer Sonic in Tokyo and/or Osaka and then skip across to Sziget (see my previous post). But that's more for the travel & cultural exploration & not so much the music as we do get more than 1/2 same/similar lineups as the other popular aforementioned festivals.

brfilora
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
If I could sneak away from the old lady I'd probably go to Summer Sonic in Tokyo and/or Osaka and then skip across to Sziget (see my previous post). But that's more for the travel & cultural exploration & not so much the music as we do get more than 1/2 same/similar lineups as the other popular aforementioned festivals.

Wurd. I wanna go to Fuji Rock

Distorted_Jungle
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
to answer your question, no...not even close.

What have you been to that is better?

If you think something is better declare what it is and why it's better, your answer sucks without those things.

scoop49er
03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Coachella is on the great side of festivals ive been to... Bonnaroo is the only other i consider in the same class for great festivals in the US. have not been outside the US yet...

breathewithme
03-01-2010, 07:53 PM
this year...yes. Muse and Gorillaz...o-m-g.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
WACKEN

rasooli
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
how the hell did this thread get a one star rating....thats BS....

darkjustice
03-01-2010, 11:28 PM
coachella is fun

ldobbie
03-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Primavera Sound 2010 is the best festival lineup I've seen maybe ever. All the shit that people on here constantly wish for is on that poster.

but Coachella isn't in spain.

Therefore, yes, coachella is the best in the world for us continentally bound folk

rasooli
03-02-2010, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=ldobbie;1606053]Primavera Sound 2010 is the best festival lineup I've seen maybe ever.QUOTE]

Are you serious?? That lineup isn't even half as good as our lineup....As a matter of fact that is one of the worst fesival lineups I might of ever seen...

The only acts that festival has over ours is The Pixies and Pet Shop Boys, but we have SO MANY better artists.

ldobbie
03-02-2010, 01:00 AM
[QUOTE=ldobbie;1606053]Primavera Sound 2010 is the best festival lineup I've seen maybe ever.QUOTE]

Are you serious?? That lineup isn't even half as good as our lineup....As a matter of fact that is one of the worst fesival lineups I might of ever seen...

The only acts that festival has over ours is The Pixies and Pet Shop Boys, but we have SO MANY better artists.

beak> - Geoff Barrow of portishead's side project
beetroots live
fuck buttons
joker
lee scratch perry
moderat
panda bear
pixies
seefeel
tortoise
wilco

I think Primavera Sound is better for these reasons, very solid electronica lineup. Coachella is rather populist this year with their edm choices. And with their rock choices, come to think of it.. I hope next year coachella has more of an underground feel to it but those dreams went out the window with 2004 probably. Seems like coachella is the real Pitchfork Music Festival at times but they did good with some key exclusives this year. Either way it's a blast but why not analyze.

seanyb
03-02-2010, 03:12 AM
Primavera Sound lineup this year is amazing

ShyGuy75
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
What have you been to that is better?

If you think something is better declare what it is and why it's better, your answer sucks without those things.

glastonbury.

your mom sucks.

Primavera Sound 2010 is the best festival lineup I've seen maybe ever.

lol! what a tool.

juloxx
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Primavera Sound 2010 is the best festival lineup I've seen maybe ever.

Thats a bad joke, I didnt even laugh

thekube
03-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I've been to Coachella 07, Lollapalooza 08, SXSW (go every year), Austin City Limits (go every year), All Points West 09, Vegoose 07, Bonnaroo 2009.

Coachella is my favorite, followed by SXSW and Bonnaroo. I like SXSW because it's in my hometown Austin, can be done free, and is great for seeing up and coming bands in small venues. Thousands of them. I like that Bonnaroo has late night sets that can be 2 or 3 hours long. Unfortunately, I don't like jam bands. I like Coachella's lineups the best.

ACL sells too many tickets, it's a bitch to get between stages, lots of people sitting in lawn chairs everywhere, and lineups tend to have some old guys like Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Van Morrison. Nothing against them, but I'll take Gorillaz, Muse and Jay-Z over those guys any day. A good show requires high energy.