PDA

View Full Version : DIY and Home Repair

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hannahrain
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I spent the morning spackling and trying to recreate the preposterous and apparently unattainable butter yellow color that some asshole decided was a good one to paint my living room wall, and it got me to thinking about the other things that I'd like to do to make my home homier and my place place-ier. Which got me thinking about you people and the internet. Which got me thinking about the Russian space station, which got me thinking about cosmonauts, which got me thinking about cosmopolitans, which got me thinking about Cosmo, which got me thinking about fucking ridiculous quizzes and polls that are a waste of everybody's time and space. And voila, there I was thinking about you people again. And here we are.

Tell me about the things you're doing to your home (and/or the relevant DIY in other parts of your life) to make it less of a shithole. And don't play like it's not a shithole. I've already send out a research team to check up on you and verify that it is.

J~$$$$
02-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey man, I got your permit right here. Thats right don't look to long it might blind you.

TomAz
02-25-2010, 09:23 AM
diy? do they not have mexicans in oregon?

Hannahrain
02-25-2010, 09:29 AM
We don't. They're irked by the prevalent bastardization of their cuisine by people who make a fuss about GMO corn tortillas and use soy sour cream and know what spirulina is. Not to mention the staggering number of white supremacist groups that stake claim to the land outside our two metropolitan areas. There are places where I, even as a blonde, green-eyed "camouflage" Jew, don't really care to tread.

TomAz
02-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I had to google both GMO and spirulina.

caco0283
02-25-2010, 09:56 AM
diy? do they not have mexicans in oregon?

Not cool Tom.

TomAz
02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
aw ronnie. you can make them lunch.

justinaqui
02-25-2010, 10:17 AM
I slapped a new mailbox in front of the ole homestead last weekend. It looked pretty sharp until some dickhead bird shit on it the other day.

IDCrisis
02-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Hannah, I know you're getting ready to paint and stuff, but can we still hang pictures in your DIY thread? And, Tom, don't feel bad. I had to look up "DIY."

lizng
02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
My whole fucking house needs some DIY attention. The worse offender is my kitchen because the previous occupants tried to make it swanky by putting up blue wallpaper and now it's starting to fall down. Oh, and then there's my powder bathroom that has one little recessed can light and a sloped ceiling, so it's dark and spooky like a truck stop bathroom. So, I need to install some more lights and hope I don't electrocute myself.

seandlr
02-25-2010, 11:19 AM
My whole fucking house needs some DIY attention. The worse offender is my kitchen because the previous occupants tried to make it swanky by putting up blue wallpaper and now it's starting to down. Oh, and then there's my powder bathroom that has one little recessed can light and a sloped ceiling, so it's dark and spooky like a truck stop bathroom. So, I need to install some more lights and hope I don't electrocute myself.

Wallpaper in a kitchen? Dumb asses

lizng
02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Yup, and it's nice and greasy behind the stove even after scrubbing. It's also dark blue, which is the worst color for a kitchen.

menikmati
02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Let's see...my house needs a ton of work too...the whole bathroom needs to be sanded and repainted over again...and some new blinds need to be installed in there, because the old blinds rotted away, and so now you have to have the window closed if you take a shower (unless you don't mind the neighbors window right next to it and being able to peek in), which then causes a mold problem...it sucks.

Oh and the screen door needs to be replaced because a former jealous lover of my sister came over one day and punched it (denting/tearing/damaging it), and now it's just gotten worse (the screen part was held together with tape, and now the door won't even shut properly)...he paid us some money to fix the damages a long time ago but it was never spent on repairs/new door obviously. So much to do...

Hannahrain
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Okay. But what are you people DOING.

lizng
02-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Well, I'm going to give my cat an enema when I get home. And then I'm going to bitch about how I hate the wallpaper in my kitchen.

EDIT: You know what, fuck that wallpaper. It's coming down this weekend.

Hannahrain
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I think, Lizng, that that would technically and literally make your home more of a shithole. Thanks so much for your interest, but that's not quite what the team here at Hannahrain is looking for.

EDIT

Alright. Welcome back.

york707
02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Menik's house:

hKSTpmQjt7Y

miscorrections
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I caulked up all the baseboards in my antepenultimate apartment to prevent ants from getting in, is that sufficiently improving?

Oh also does anyone know anything about regrouting showers? Yes, I've heard it's a bitch, but has anyone actually done it? My current apartment could use it and I could use a project.

lizng
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
...and some new blinds need to be installed in there, because the old blinds rotted away, and so now you have to have the window closed if you take a shower (unless you don't mind the neighbors window right next to it and being able to peek in), which then causes a mold problem...it sucks.

and now it's time for some unsolicited advice: Blinds will probably just rot out again and you might be better off putting up some frosted window film (http://www.younghouselove.com/2009/12/tackling-the-basement-chapter-nine/).

miscorrections
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Could do plastic blinds. Wood blinds absolutely do not do well in humid environments.

menikmati
02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
and now it's time for some unsolicited advice: Blinds will probably just rot out again and you might be better off putting up some frosted window film (http://www.younghouselove.com/2009/12/tackling-the-basement-chapter-nine/).

Well there are frosted windows....so the issue is getting some airflow in the bathroom I think, because if you don't, then the water just sits in there after a shower or whatever and gets all musty in there, so we pretty much have to keep the bathroom window open at all times (there is no fan in there or anything, just a heat lamp).

menikmati
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Our chimney needs to be fixed too...it's capped off right now (has been since the earthquake up here in 2000)...the owners are too cheap to fix it though, so it's just sitting there unused, and we end up freezing in the winter.

TomAz
02-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Erik, have you considered installing a fan?

http://www.efaucets.com/images/Broan/large/QTXE080-lg.jpg

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ERIK! yes. make a project of installing a fan in your bathroom and make a video series on it!

lizng
02-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Well there are frosted windows....so the issue is getting some airflow in the bathroom I think, because if you don't, then the water just sits in there after a shower or whatever and gets all musty in there, so we pretty much have to keep the bathroom window open at all times (there is no fan in there or anything, just a heat lamp).

Well eff my advice on that; carry on with your blind replacement mission. Or move to a less shitty place.

york707
02-25-2010, 12:51 PM
yeah, the fan is definitely the way to go. And roommates will appreciate it after you've eaten spicy foods.

menikmati
02-25-2010, 01:18 PM
I caulked up all the baseboards in my antepenultimate apartment to prevent ants from getting in, is that sufficiently improving?

Oh also does anyone know anything about regrouting showers? Yes, I've heard it's a bitch, but has anyone actually done it? My current apartment could use it and I could use a project.

I caulked all my baseboard like that too, though I always think I got everywhere, and then every now and then I find ants coming in through a new place.

And for re-grouting showers, I use to do tile work (a lot of grouting that is) with my brother, the first hard part would be to clean out the existing grout joints...then after that, it's not that hard...just pick out what type of grout you wanna use, then mix it, and buy yourself a grout float, and some sponges, and have a few buckets of clean water...then basically you just use the float and grout over the joints (usually diagonally over the joints), then you just lightly wipe away with the sponges (also diagonally), then at the very end do one file clean wipe, then seal it up a few days later, and you're good to go.

seandlr
02-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Let's see...my house needs a ton of work too...the whole bathroom needs to be sanded and repainted over again...and some new blinds need to be installed in there, because the old blinds rotted away, and so now you have to have the window closed if you take a shower (unless you don't mind the neighbors window right next to it and being able to peek in), which then causes a mold problem...it sucks.

Oh and the screen door needs to be replaced because a former jealous lover of my sister came over one day and punched it (denting/tearing/damaging it), and now it's just gotten worse (the screen part was held together with tape, and now the door won't even shut properly)...he paid us some money to fix the damages a long time ago but it was never spent on repairs/new door obviously. So much to do...

Just wondering, why do you need to sand down your bathroom walls?

menikmati
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Because there is like some mildew or whatever in the corners and parts of the ceiling (because again, there is like no fan in there, so getting some airflow is like impossible in there)...and the quick fix is to sand down to it, use some mildew cleaner, and then repaint.

seandlr
02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, if you plan on repainting your entire bathroom and if I were you, I would only sand the areas where the mildew is at and hit it with a mildew killer, and from there just get the right primer that adheres to glossy surfaces and seals stains. You'll save a shit load of time and a shit load of dust.

menikmati
02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
no yeah, I meant I was only gonna sand the mildew areas...not the entire walls lol, no way...and yeah some primer would be a good idea.

lizng
03-14-2010, 07:34 PM
The wallpaper has been destroyed and the kitchen is now sporting some fresh spackle and a few coats of pretty green paint. Tomorrow I will be ripping out some dead shrubs that the landscapers murdered and will be replacing them with fast growing annuals so my tiny "yard" is no longer a pile of dirt.

Davids81
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Installing crown moulding in my living/tv room now. It's a pain in the ass, but it's about 25% done, and it looks cool as shit so far. Can't wait to have it finished and under my belt.

A fine sense of accomplishment that comes after doing a DIY project at home is fuel for starting a new project. Shutters, then perhaps a kitchen re-haul.

bleep
03-15-2010, 07:47 PM
hot water started to gush out of the shower knob instead of the shower head tonight when taking a shower. will have to shutoff the water to the whole building (8 units total) tomorrow morning so that i can remove the shower knob and replace what will probably just be an old rubber washer. i'm getting a headache just thinking 'bout it.

edit: heh, i ended up having to replace the entire shower valve. well, at least it's fixed!

Hannahrain
06-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Bump. I just painted my dresser and I am extremely fucking pleased with myself.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4698093941_1927e6f89b.jpg

What are you doing.

buddy
06-13-2010, 07:29 PM
impressive hannah, and beautiful as well.

Still-ill
06-13-2010, 07:59 PM

What are you doing.

You should utilize your abilities and receive monetary compensation.

seandlr
06-13-2010, 10:56 PM

What are you doing.

That looks amazing. Did you just use regular interior paint or something more artist specific?

Hannahrain
06-14-2010, 11:15 AM
It was actually a spontaneous effort to make the dresser look less like it was falling apart, so I just used some acrylics I had on hand. They won't last forever, but I don't really expect the dresser to make it beyond my current apartment.

Thinking about sewing some curtains and throw pillows today.

Are any of you doing anything?

amyzzz
06-14-2010, 11:20 AM
That looks really pretty, Hannah. :)

miscorrections
06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
If I got summer vacation I would probably do something. I don't, so I won't.

TomAz
06-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Are any of you doing anything?

I'm refinancing my mortgage.

If anyone has any brilliant secrets on how to get a sliding glass door to keep from sticking, I'd love to hear it. I cleaned out the track real well, used real grease cutting stuff, and then used a dry film lubricant, but it's really not working very well. I am tempted to go back to 3 in 1 oil even though everything I read tells me not to because it attracts and traps dirt which causes the sticking to begin with.

Hannahrain
06-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Bar soap would probably work wonders in the short-term, though I'd imagine it'd eventually trap the dirt as well. Might be worth a try, though.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Human blood.

I.F.A.
06-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm in the middle of getting new laminate flooring installed in my place (strictly, I'm not diying, because I'm having it installed by a friend of a friend, but after it's done I'll be doing a bunch of painting and other repairs myself), after having lived with exposed concrete floors for 8 months. Also just got a new stove. And there was much rejoicing.

My place was built in '63, and it needs a lot of attention. Since my ex-husband moved out, I've been doing everything I can to make it "mine" again (I owned it before we met). It's finally starting to feel like home again.

I'd love to see pictures of everyone's finished diy projects. :)

I.F.A.
06-14-2010, 11:54 AM

What are you doing.

That is awesome! I have an old dresser that I've been thinking of painting as well, but it has this weird crackle finish that I really don't want to take the time to strip off, so I can't figure out what to do with it. Plus it's in my (way too) dark teal bedroom, and I need to do something that will lighten up the room. I'm leaning towards painting it yellow, with some kind of faux antiquing.

jackstraw94086
06-14-2010, 06:03 PM
I will laugh my ass off if Hanna's dresser ever gets lost somewhere in a taiga wilderness.

Hannahrain
06-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Wait, someone else posted a dresser here, too?

SoulDischarge
06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
So. This seems to be more about home repair. And I'm looking for more of a interior design thread. But I'll shoehorn it in here anyway, mostly because I'm an avid fan of shoehorning in general. Anyone have any recommendations for cheap and impermanent DIY projects to decorate an apartment that is largely empty? I really like my apartment, it's spacious and comfortable, but it's not quite "home" yet. We're renting, so obviously I can't do anything that's going to leave any marks. Basically, I'm looking for things that'll fill up some space, bring in some color, and add some atmosphere to the place. Personal suggestions and ideas are good, as are websites, books, magazines/articles, etc. that are full of good ideas.

Courtney
06-29-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ and Readymade Magazine are my favorite resources.

miscorrections
06-29-2010, 04:04 PM
You should get some construction paper and make a Pac-Man maze complete with ghosts and cherries alongside one of your walls.

kreutz2112
06-29-2010, 04:08 PM
And instead of Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man, you could have Mr. and Mr. Pac-Man. Pac-Men.

Hannahrain
06-29-2010, 04:08 PM
So. This seems to be more about home repair. And I'm looking for more of a interior design thread. But I'll shoehorn it in here anyway, mostly because I'm an avid fan of shoehorning in general. Anyone have any recommendations for cheap and impermanent DIY projects to decorate an apartment that is largely empty? I really like my apartment, it's spacious and comfortable, but it's not quite "home" yet. We're renting, so obviously I can't do anything that's going to leave any marks. Basically, I'm looking for things that'll fill up some space, bring in some color, and add some atmosphere to the place. Personal suggestions and ideas are good, as are websites, books, magazines/articles, etc. that are full of good ideas.

This request fully fits into the category of DIY. No shoehorning necessary.

I have an old copy of Gray's Anatomy that is too decrepit to use as a legitimate book anymore, so I'm going to cut all my favorite images out, mount them on black paper, and then arrange them interestingly on my wall.

I also used black paper and an x-acto to make some neat little silhouettes to tuck into corners - little plants growing up from the baseboard, some little birds sitting on top of one of the doorframes, and some bats flying up in the corner of a window overhang.

miscorrections
06-29-2010, 04:10 PM
You can also get records super cheap at thrift stores and paint on them. Loteria cards are cheap and look nice around doorways. If you've got cardboard boxes you can paint and stack them in interesting ways, or use them as free bookshelves or crap-holders or even dressers.

Gribbz
06-29-2010, 04:12 PM
You should get some construction paper and make a Pac-Man maze complete with ghosts and cherries alongside one of your walls.

YES.

SoulDischarge
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ and Readymade Magazine are my favorite resources.

I used to have a subscription to Readymade years ago before I had my own place and always loved looking through it. I just found out we have it at work so I might pick up an issue after my next paycheck. I'll check out site. Thanks for the recommendation.

That's actually kind of awesome. Galaga on the ceiling would be fun too.

miscorrections
I wanted to do that at my place in SD because we had a set of jelly coasters in the ghost colors but it never came to fruition.

Hannahrain
06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I used to have a subscription to Readymade years ago before I had my own place and always loved looking through it. I just found out we have it at work so I might pick up an issue after my next paycheck. I'll check out site. Thanks for the recommendation.

Readymade occasionally runs $5 subscription specials as a promotion. If I hear of any, I'll let you know.

It is a great resource. It's the only magazine I read consistently.

Courtney
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
This $2.99 Readymade subscription special (http://www.frugal-bonvivant.com/shopping/3-1-year-readymade-magazine-subscription/) still works, I checked. Love the Readymade.

crazzz2007
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I just changed all the screens on our sliding screen doors and windows.

It's very simple, and saves you a LOT of money.

All you need is...

http://www.alumcenter.net/store/media/ccp0/cat/patio_pool_roll_mesh.jpg

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/store/images/spline__100_ft.gif

http://www.hometips.com/images/lowes/p230c_LHR230C.jpg

guedita
06-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Hannah: what kind of paint did you use? I just bought an antique dresser and I'd like to paint it and an IKEA bookshelf I have to match the rest of my furniture (dark mahogany).

Hannahrain
06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Hannah: what kind of paint did you use? I just bought an antique dresser and I'd like to paint it and an IKEA bookshelf I have to match the rest of my furniture (dark mahogany).

It wasn't a planned project, so I just used acrylic paints that I had lying around. The dresser is falling apart and probably isn't going to make it past this apartment, anyway, so I figured it didn't matter how archival the paint job was.

Are you looking to paint it with large blocks of color, or are you going to do detailwork?

Edit. Uh, from higher up in the page:

It was actually a spontaneous effort to make the dresser look less like it was falling apart, so I just used some acrylics I had on hand. They won't last forever, but I don't really expect the dresser to make it beyond my current apartment.

guedita
06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I thought you knew about the medical condition I have that prevents me from scrolling up.

I want to paint the entire dresser/bookshelf one solid color, no detailwork.

Hannahrain
06-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I would probably take it outside in pieces and use spraypaint to avoid brushstrokes. Or don't take it outside and enjoy the noxious, noxious fumes.

Courtney
06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Cara, what kind of material is the dresser currently? Raw wood? Varnish?

guedita
06-29-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't know...I guess I would have to test it out to know if it has varnish. I've never done anything in terms of home repair before, so this will be an adventure.

Courtney
06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
As a general rule, paint affixes to furniture better if you sand it down first with some fine grade sandpaper. Otherwise surfaces (especially glossy) will repel new paint.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-29-2010, 06:14 PM
my roommate built a giant cage outside of the house so his indoor cats could go hang outside and not scamper off. it's the one thing he's built that's not a complete clusterfuck. He often gets the idea to build ridiculous things because it will save him money and it usually not only ends up costing more to build, but it's a piece of shit and he just buys what he was trying to build in the first place. I think most of this has to do with the fact that he gets really impatient when he gets the idea to do something and almost never figures out how to do it right. And then proceeds to get drunk during the process.

Hannahrain
06-29-2010, 06:16 PM
The booze is no detriment if you're going to do it wrong anyway.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM
True, it mostly makes the process a little less painful I think. I tend to hear a lot of screaming and shouting while he's building things.

weeklymix
06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
DIY project I thought I'd share with the board, doesn't quite fit with the home stuff but:

Guts of this:
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/1/2/683px-Macbook_white_redjar_20060603.jpg

Transplanted into body of this:
http://www.248am.com/images/tangerineibook.jpg

Just gutted the G3 Tangerine iBook. If anybody's actually interested in the process I'll post progress photos.

PlayaDelWes
06-29-2010, 07:24 PM

To decorate the girls' rooms I took soundboard, cut it into various sizes and covered it with fabric. Clearly the fabric they chose is quite girly, but you can cover it with any combination of fabric, sheets, or even t-shirt designs.

That alone is enough to hang throughout a room to use as bulletin or picture boards using pushpins or thumbtacks. I also strung ribbon across each board so you can hang pictures or artwork without needing pins or tacks.

Hang just one to use as a bulletin board or several with different shapes, sizes, and angles to take up an entire wall.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4325810566_4d5ea506c6.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4321388502_e88b116d87.jpg

Courtney
07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Ok Hannah and all you have inspired me. I have been having trouble finding a coffee table I like, and all I really want is a marble-top white Saarinen, which I can't afford. So I decided that I just need to get something for now until I find my dream table so my guests don't have to put their glasses on my haphazard piles of art books.

So I pulled a black inlaid lacquer, Chinese-looking coffee table with curvy legs off the curb the other day and I'm going to paint it white and then maybe do other fun things to it. Wish me luck.

J~$$$$
07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I love those Saarinen side tables. I have one from E3. Polished metal base with 3' deep wood top and glass. I <3 it. 50'-60s modern needs to go back to being uncool so I can afford it again.

Good luck with your restoration project.

miscorrections
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM
50'-60s modern needs to go back to being uncool so I can afford it again.

FUCKING FOR REALS. And those old Electrohome Apollo 860 turntables need to magically get cheap so I can have a mid-century home and a bubble record player.

J~$$$$
07-01-2010, 04:08 PM
3 years ago if I had the money I could have bought a fix-up modern for 160,000 its now selling for 325,000. Im kicking myself so bad for not doing what it takes to get into it.

These goddamn cock suckers are snatching up all the fix ups before they hit they market.

mile-hi modern
http://www.milehimodern.com/

J~$$$$
07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
This was going for 220 like a year ago!

http://www.milehimodern.com/1815sJersey/index.php

Courtney
07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Justin, you are nice and have a pretty wife and have excellent taste in housing. Let's be friends.

My favorite Craigslist score of all time was a pair of Saarinen white tulip armchairs. Second favorite is my Olympia Deluxe 1968 pink typewriter. Almost justifies the ungodly amount of time I spend browsing that site's classifieds.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs386.snc3/23575_815169626405_3407050_46722952_1271329_n.jpg

Hannahrain
07-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Ok Hannah and all you have inspired me. I have been having trouble finding a coffee table I like, and all I really want is a marble-top white Saarinen, which I can't afford. So I decided that I just need to get something for now until I find my dream table so my guests don't have to put their glasses on my haphazard piles of art books.

So I pulled a black inlaid lacquer, Chinese-looking coffee table with curvy legs off the curb the other day and I'm going to paint it white and then maybe do other fun things to it. Wish me luck.

Please document your progress with photography.

SoulDischarge
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Speaking of coffee/end tables, the Whole Foods in Lincoln Park has one of the coolest ones I've ever seen:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4704385649_d2242a23c8.jpg

tessalasset
07-01-2010, 11:34 PM
To purchase? Why does a Whole Foods have that?

SoulDischarge
07-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Not to purchase. Just functional next to some couches they have. This one is fucking huge and has lots of little areas to just hang out and eat at and use their free wi-fi. I really hope I can get transferred there eventually.

tessalasset
07-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Holy shit. I have never seen a Whole Foods used for anything but grocery shopping over here.

SoulDischarge
07-01-2010, 11:43 PM
This one has a full bar, a wine & cheese bar, an Asian noodle bar, a diner food stand, a river side patio, a massage table, etcetcetc. It's fucking ridiculous.

tessalasset
07-02-2010, 01:37 AM
what. the. fuck.

where do you live again?

SoulDischarge
07-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Chicago. I think most of the other stores in the city are pretty scaled back compared to that. The one I work at in the suburbs pretty much just has a salad bar and a hot bar, plus a few other prepared foods. Mostly it's just a straight up grocery store though.

J~$$$$
07-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Justin, you are nice and have a pretty wife and have excellent taste in housing. Let's be friends.

My favorite Craigslist score of all time was a pair of Saarinen white tulip armchairs. Second favorite is my Olympia Deluxe 1968 pink typewriter. Almost justifies the ungodly amount of time I spend browsing that site's classifieds.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs386.snc3/23575_815169626405_3407050_46722952_1271329_n.jpg

BFFS! I love this entire area, the desk! My grandpa had a "Eames" metal green desk and I was fascinated by it.

Im currently looking for a drafting table from that era that I can afford.

J~$$$$
07-02-2010, 07:05 AM
The huge thing Im scouring the intrawebs for is kentetic art that sits on the desk, it has a cylinder base on in would rest a needle with a 12' long wire with a little metal surfer that would act as counterbalance. You could push the surfer and it would spin around the cylinder base and look like it was surfing.

I am so fascinated with mid century modern mobiles and stuff like this...

http://twentyfirstcenturyretro.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/5x_brass_birds_wall_decoration_7z.jpg

Oh and coo-coo clocks. I have two, I want a few more but the wife is not a fan so I cant put them up til we get a larger house.

I.F.A.
07-21-2010, 01:26 PM
So, I just refinished these chairs this weekend, and am rather proud of them so I want to show them off. I don't have "before" pictures, so just imagine that they were grimey off-white with black specks and goldenrod yellow crushed velvet cushions. And also looked like something that your senile grandmother might have had hidden in her garage for the last 30 years. Excuse the quality of the pictures - the camera on my phone kinda blows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/chair2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/chair1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/diningtable.jpg

Courtney
07-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I am so fascinated with mid century modern mobiles and stuff like this...

http://twentyfirstcenturyretro.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/5x_brass_birds_wall_decoration_7z.jpg

Oh and coo-coo clocks. I have two, I want a few more but the wife is not a fan so I cant put them up til we get a larger house.

J, I saw a reproduction of that wall decoration (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Brass-Soaring-Seagull-Wall-Art-Set-of-6/3654863/product.html) on Overstock.com the other day. If you're into it:

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P11718315.jpg

Personally, although I prefer shopping vintage through garage sales and craigslist and whatnot, I'm fine with most interior decor reproductions because my budget is limited and for me it's more about enjoying the design than worrying too much about authenticity.

Courtney
07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
So, I just refinished these chairs this weekend, and am rather proud of them so I want to show them off. I don't have "before" pictures, so just imagine that they were grimey off-white with black specks and goldenrod yellow crushed velvet cushions. And also looked like something that your senile grandmother might have had hidden in her garage for the last 30 years. Excuse the quality of the pictures - the camera on my phone kinda blows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/chair2.jpg

This is adorable. I have always wanted to refinish a chair. How difficult is it?

fatbastard
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
what. the. fuck.

where do you live again?

You need to come visit the Whole Foods in Pasadena.

In addition to the things mentioned above: fresh juice bar, smoothie bar, BBQ section (they have their own smoker inside the store), "green" clothes for men and women, sushi rollers, and a brunch on Sundays.

I've left very lit from that tapas bar.

I.F.A.
07-21-2010, 03:48 PM
This is adorable. I have always wanted to refinish a chair. How difficult is it?

It was super easy, and I think it only took me about an hour and a half to do all 4 - you just unscrew the seat from the base, paint the base, then staple the fabric over the seat. The only tricky part is doing the corners on the seats, which requires gathering the fabric as you staple it.

BROKENDOLL
07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
What are you doing.
Hannah, that dresser is awesome! :thu I love taking something that most would consider trashable, and giving it a 2nd life.

And as far as home repairs go, I tackled one about 6 months ago that may not be perfect,but it's far better than waiting on the landlord's schedule. I would see a good sized puddle on the bath floor after anyone took a shower and just assumed the curtain wasn't getting closed all the way. Then I started noticing that the tub bottom felt flexible underneath the bathmat. When I went to check it out, it all added up...there was about a 6 inch crack in the center of the tub! This also explained why there was a constant bog of water along the side of our condo for over 3 months. (I thought the gardeners had hit a sprinkler.) Anyway, the tub was made of fiberglass and being your typical one piece unit would mean having the ladnlord replace the whole thing...unless of course it got repaired. (Drumroll, please.) I did call him and could tell by his enthusiasm that this wasn't gonna happen immediately, so I offered to patch the tub and fiberglass it myself. (If we move, he'd have to replace it anyway, right?) So, off I went to Home Depot for supplies. (Keep in mind that I've never worked with fiberglass and all the resin and shit.)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/HOME%20SWEET%20HOME/IMGP1942.jpg
While the crack was 6 inches, I could see where it planned to continue, so I fiberglassed a larger section as a precaution. Word to the unknowing: Wear a mask of something and definitely wear gloves! I was higher than a kite from the fumes and the fiberglass mixed with resin sets fast and all the little fibers get fucking everywhere! Anyway, my patch job worked and I was able to sand it fairly smooth, but the color difference was so obvious. I could only think of one thing...paint over it.

Now, like Hannah, I just had paint laying around, but I knew it had to be resilient and able to withstand water. I just so happen to have marine paint handy, but it was a royal blue color. Hell, why not? Water is blue, pools are blue, may as well make the bath blue! Okay, maybe not royal blue...that was a little dark, and I only had enough for 2 coats. Back to home depot to get the only marine paint they had...in white. Mixed with what I had and applied with a sponge for a textured look and this is what we got...
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/HOME%20SWEET%20HOME/IMGP2002.jpg
Like I said, it's not perfect, but 6 months later it's still as strong as ever. The landlord was actually impressed that I did this, and since he had just replaced the AC unit, I'm sure he didn't mind reimbursing me for the supplies as opposed too remodeling the whole bathroom. Now I'm more concerned than anything as to what might be growing underneath this condo because black mold is a huge problem in situations like this, and that tub must have begun it's outdoor irrigating at least 3 months prior to my repair.

I'm refinancing my mortgage.

If anyone has any brilliant secrets on how to get a sliding glass door to keep from sticking, I'd love to hear it. I cleaned out the track real well, used real grease cutting stuff, and then used a dry film lubricant, but it's really not working very well. I am tempted to go back to 3 in 1 oil even though everything I read tells me not to because it attracts and traps dirt which causes the sticking to begin with.

No, don't use oil because that will just draw more dirt and dust to the track. Either use candle wax by rubbing a candle along the track, or maybe get a hold of the same wax that surfers use on their boards. I'd also say that if you can get the glass door off, you could maybe spray some lubricant on the the actual door track itself because once it's back on track, that part becomes hidden.

Courtney
07-23-2010, 06:47 PM
WARNING WARNING. Am in possession of 3 cans of chalkboard spray paint. No furniture item or wall will be left unsprayed.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EWVgQCn5LlA/Rf82xPsorcI/AAAAAAAABLo/sj831r9mgFM/s400/House%2Band%2BHome,%2Bantique%2Barmoire%2Bpainted% 2Bin%2Bchalkboard%2Bpaint%2Bwith%2Bjapanese%2Bplat e%2Binspired%2Bdesigns.jpg

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_6g/assets/widget_cjGXFjHo1lHyLGagVl80s3.jpg

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_6g/assets/widget_dTVU7ca4Pd_zEki4hwjl8x.jpg

donkey sex
07-23-2010, 06:50 PM
painting a bike for the first time ever tomorrow. It's pink. With a basket.

Hannahrain
07-23-2010, 07:12 PM
WARNING WARNING. Am in possession of 3 cans of chalkboard spray paint. No furniture item or wall will be left unsprayed.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EWVgQCn5LlA/Rf82xPsorcI/AAAAAAAABLo/sj831r9mgFM/s400/House%2Band%2BHome,%2Bantique%2Barmoire%2Bpainted% 2Bin%2Bchalkboard%2Bpaint%2Bwith%2Bjapanese%2Bplat e%2Binspired%2Bdesigns.jpg

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_6g/assets/widget_cjGXFjHo1lHyLGagVl80s3.jpg

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_6g/assets/widget_dTVU7ca4Pd_zEki4hwjl8x.jpg

That is awesome. Are any of these yours, or are these examples? Because if that is your kitchen, I'd like to get married and live at your place.

PlayaDelWes
07-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I never understood how some are able to write on a chalkboard so well. Beautiful your writing it is.

Courtney
09-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh, those pictures above are just examples, not actually my house. I'll post a picture of my chalkboard spray paint coffee table one of these days.

In the meantime, I'm having decision inability. Please tell me which of these shower curtains is the most awesome. I'm leaning towards the octopus personally (which is the most expensive, of course).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61APwfG--RL._SS400_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N98XEU/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1IVTBA8HSTOZL)

http://i54.tinypic.com/hrxy09.jpg (http://www.target.com/Cassette-Tape-Shower-Curtain/dp/B002YRY3AK/ref=huc_ic_1_pn)

http://i53.tinypic.com/2zfopp1.jpg (http://www.target.com/DwellStudio-Target-Magnolia-Shower-Curtain/dp/B002UKLTAS/ref=huc_ic_2_pn)

http://i55.tinypic.com/1zo9bsw.jpg (http://www.designpublic.com/thomas-paul-shower-curtain-octopus#)

http://i56.tinypic.com/x2weoj.jpg (http://www.pbteen.com/products/tahitian-toile-shower-curtain/)

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!B161VvgEGk~$(KGrHqYOKjoE)NLnO2uoBMgZdMWp+Q~~_12.J PG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Anthropologie-Home-Embroidered-Avian-Shower-Curtain-NWT-/280560466410?pt=Shower_Curtains&hash=item4152b4f9ea)

miscorrections
09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Octopus.

Still-ill
09-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Yeah the octopus was the one that jumped out at me, as well.

Courtney
09-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah. I like it the the octopus the most. Thanks for the feedback I'm just not sure I can justify $96 on a shower curtain. Maybe.

My apartment bathroom also has this weird towel hook with a picture of Florida that the last resident installed, and I can't figure out how to remove it without destroying the whole wall, so I just ordered some fancy decorative paper and I think I'm going to decoupage over the Florida picture part with some of that hard coat mod podge. That stuff will hold up in a bathroom with shower humidity, right? I hope?

http://www.createforless.com/p-images/2/2008/0423/141214-2-1.jpg

BROKENDOLL
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I want to know where the one with the palm trees can be found. Octopus, not so much, unless one of those 8 arms is willing to wash my back.

Courtney
09-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Bev, all the images are clickable for a link to the vendor.

BROKENDOLL
09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah. I like it the the octopus the most. Thanks for the feedback I'm just not sure I can justify $96 on a shower curtain. Maybe.

My apartment bathroom also has this weird towel hook with a picture of Florida that the last resident installed, and I can't figure out how to remove it without destroying the whole wall, so I just ordered some fancy decorative paper and I think I'm going to decoupage over the Florida picture part with some of that hard coat mod podge. That stuff will hold up in a bathroom with shower humidity, right? I hope?

http://www.createforless.com/p-images/2/2008/0423/141214-2-1.jpg
Damn, for $96, that octopus better wash your back! Now I'm more curious about this wall hook you have than the palm tree curtain...As for the mod podge? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure they have a variety of coatings to choose from. There's even one for clothing, so I'd guess that it would be waterproof. Sales person said the stuff works great.
BTW, I also have a quart of chalkboard paint that's waiting to be used... and I'm looking at the backside of our front door...Hmmm...

BROKENDOLL
09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Bev, all the images are clickable for a link to the vendor.
Well, would you just look at that! On sale too...$39!
Poop! That won't look good with the blue tub though...dammit.

Courtney
09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Damn, for $96, that octopus better wash your back! Now I'm more curious about this wall hook you have than the palm tree curtain...As for the mod podge? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure they have a variety of coatings to choose from. There's even one for clothing, so I'd guess that it would be waterproof. Sales person said the stuff works great.
BTW, I also have a quart of chalkboard paint that's waiting to be used... and I'm looking at the backside of our front door...Hmmm...

Bev, here's the weirdo Florida wall hook and the papers I'm considering using to decoupage over it:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/4986887625_0650afc8dd_z.jpg

http://www.papermojo.com/assets/images/Chiyo-Abstract/JP-747C-zm.jpg

http://www.papermojo.com/assets/images/Snow-Graham/SG-1659-zm.jpg

http://www.papermojo.com/assets/images/Elum/E-GW113B-zm.jpg

http://www.papermojo.com/assets/images/Jungle-Floral/SD-HP564-zm.jpg

And I think a chalkboard door back would be pretty sweet. Except if when you slammed it the chalk dust went flying off everywhere. Do you think that would happen?

miscorrections
09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Nah, I think you'd be safe on the chalk dust front.

BROKENDOLL
09-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Bev, here's the weirdo Florida wall hook and the papers I'm considering using to decoupage over it:

http://www.papermojo.com/assets/images/Snow-Graham/SG-1659-zm.jpg

http://www.papermojo.com/assets/images/Elum/E-GW113B-zm.jpg

http://www.papermojo.com/assets/images/Jungle-Floral/SD-HP564-zm.jpg

And I think a chalkboard door back would be pretty sweet. Except if when you slammed it the chalk dust went flying off everywhere. Do you think that would happen?
My, that is a different hook, isn't it? I have to wonder if it's hiding a big hole behind it...As for the paper, I think the first one would go best with the octopus.

I'm still not sure what the hell I had to have the chalkboard paint for. Knowing me, it was a novelty purchase and I probably painted one small item, if that. Hence the novelty. My theory on painting the back of our front door might actually prevent doors slamming around here... Errands wouldn't be forgotten, and if there were a need to slam the door, I'd be able to get the last word in before I walked out...LOL The frig is a cool idea too, but our kitchen is minuscule and every time I turned around my shopping list would get erased...

BROKENDOLL
09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Fuck it, I just did a generous shot of tequila and I think I'm gonna paint the back of our front door with that chalkboard paint right now! I mean no matter what, I can erase my error, right? LOL

Courtney
09-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Have fun and remember to use painters tape to tape off anything you don't want sprayed! That stuff doesn't come off.

CrimesceneCookie
09-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Hey, thread.
I became unemployed recently so I needed to fill my time & be active until another job comes along. I've been doing some painting in my condo. Here is this week's project, my hallway.

Before
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/KenMixtape/Remodel%202010/IMG00314-20100909-1652.jpg
After
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/KenMixtape/Remodel%202010/IMG00318-20100914-0112.jpg

Alternate view Before
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/KenMixtape/Remodel%202010/IMG00313-20100909-1651.jpg
Alternate view After
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/KenMixtape/Remodel%202010/IMG00317-20100914-0111.jpg

Took me about 3 days.
I wanted to have some fun with colors & stripes. I'm pretty happy with the results. The stripes weren't hard to do with blue painters tape and a yardstick. The trick is to paint the stripe the color that is underneath first, when you paint color on top of it your edge will be smoother.

I'm thinking about doing something similar to this in my living room in red.

BROKENDOLL
09-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Well, I'm certainly glad somebody got some painting done! I, on the other hand, did not. After all that inspiration and the shot to motivate me, I got everything together, cleaned the door really well and light sanded it, only to open the can of chalkboard paint to see a chalkboard blob. SHIT!

Probably just as well, I guess, since I don't own our condo, just renting. Although, my landlord is pretty cool about things I've done so far.

Crimescene, you did an awesome paintjob! And I'm looking forward to the livingroom pics with the red strip. That is something I've wanted to do if I ever got around to having wall space...

As you can see, that's not anytime soon. The door idea isn't the first time I was inspired to personalize things...I restored this old bam,boo bar and added tile to the top. Scored the bar stools after a neighbor was gonna throw them out and painted them to match, followed by covering the cushions with fabric. And the red lamp was on it's way out until I saved it and rewired it. (I've "saved" a lot of lamps with hopes that one day I'll have more room and may need them.) All the antique photos have frames I painted and bedazzled with ribbon or lace. And the "hutch" is actually a dresser I bought from a girlfriend who was moving. More gloss black paint and I have a place for the glassware I use when I do private parties for people...or, for me? LOL Oh, and the splotchy wall paint...yeah, left home alone unattended one time for a week and thought it woulod be fun to give it a shot. Not sure about the color, but it's a wonderful way to hide little tack holes from moving pictures all the time.http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/HOME%20SWEET%20HOME/FAMILY%20and%20FRIENDS/IMGP3025.jpg

Courtney
09-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Woah, CrimesceneCookiel, nice. The job looks very crisp and professionally-done. I'm impressed. It reminds me of racing stripes. Would be so cute for a young boy's room in primary colors.

Also, I wonder if you could use the same technique to create vertical stripes to mimic a striped wallpaper. That would rule.

I.F.A.
09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm loving the stripes.

I've been working on this the last couple of weeks. It's taking for fucking ever, but I'm pleased with how it's turning out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/cherryblossom.jpg

Courtney
09-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Also, I wonder if you could use the same technique to create vertical stripes to mimic a striped wallpaper. That would rule.

...Like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n1Jgy6WlY9E/SgCAZMU1V_I/AAAAAAAABIY/Brzh3MPTWY0/s400/stripes+and+salon+pictures.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n1Jgy6WlY9E/SgCAkMh16mI/AAAAAAAABIw/Lu9D5FtUrP8/s400/stripes+bathroom.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_n1Jgy6WlY9E/SgCDm2OsQKI/AAAAAAAABKA/dcqq3VYWJZ0/s400/Milesl+Red+Domino.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_n1Jgy6WlY9E/SgCEBpjZ0aI/AAAAAAAABKI/tRXZGdQCa6g/s400/Jenna+Lyons+Nursery+Domino.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CUnbEa-qJaA/SvJlDWFaKWI/AAAAAAAADFk/4Ws5FhL6EO0/s400/den-2--0003_SUP_HH_BA08.jpg

miscorrections
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Damn, I love all of those. Except the first one, it's kind of drab. But hot titties I can not WAIT until I have a place I can paint and do pretty things to.

CrimesceneCookie
09-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Woah, CrimesceneCookiel, nice. The job looks very crisp and professionally-done. I'm impressed. It reminds me of racing stripes. Would be so cute for a young boy's room in primary colors.

Absolutely, I did vertical pin stripes in my bedroom a couple weeks ago using blue painters tape (you can almost see it in one of my hallway Before pictures) and it came out awesome. I might post pictures later but I still have a few more things to touch up there.

amyzzz
09-14-2010, 10:41 AM
CrimesceneCookie, you are too cool.

CrimesceneCookie
09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the compliments, all! Nice to hear after all that work.
Basically my mission is to get rid of every square inch of Off-White in my condo before the end of the year. I painted a few accent walls blue 10 years ago when I moved in, but I'm tired of it now & want changes.

The rest of my place needs lots of attention, especially lighting.
Never buy lighting from Ikea by the way, that shit will break. Anyone have any suggestions for cheap modern lighting in Los Angeles?

Courtney
09-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Ooooh. CrimesceneCookie I want to see the rest of the condo! Now I really really want to paint my living room with faux vertical stripe wallpaper.

Also, I think I may need to come to terms with the fact that I have a mild obsession with black/white/gray & yellow color palettes.

I know this is not exactly exciting, but I actually really like Target for cheap lighting. They have a lot of good basics, and also a few fun things. If I was in the market for new bedside table lamps, I would totally snag two of these and switch out the shades for a different color:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ONcZkDPkL._AA260_.jpg

donkey sex
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I wish there was a window in my bathroom. It's claustrophobic. Sometimes it feels like I'm in Nam again crawling my way underground through small dirt tunnels looking for vietcong to grenade.

Courtney
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Ha. Donkey sex, how about adding more lighting, would that help? Or alternately, a new fresher paint color, or a frosted glass door?

miscorrections
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Courtney, I'm in love with black/white/grey and orange. Mostly grey/white/orange. Upbeat yet classy, like a fancy hotel!

donkey sex
09-14-2010, 03:03 PM
not funny remembering that, but thanks for the advice. All those are really good tips. Maybe more light and a soft yellow paint (pretend sunshine). I'm excited at the prospects now. Tx.

Courtney
09-22-2010, 12:07 AM

So I failed my DIY project. I'll have to do it over again because I didn't think to do a white base coat. But it's definitely a step in the right direction.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5014311432_8d1a74bcac_z.jpg

SoulDischarge
09-22-2010, 05:20 AM
I like it as is.

TomAz
09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
In the photo, it's very difficult/impossible to make out the "Florida" and the map. it looks more like scattered colors which is why I agree with Patrick. It could be though that in reality the "Florida" is much more obvious and pronounced and so doesn't actually work.

jackstraw94086
09-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I wish there was a window in my bathroom. It's claustrophobic. Sometimes it feels like I'm in Nam again crawling my way underground through small dirt tunnels looking for vietcong to grenade.

A) you don't grenade somebody. you frag them.

B) Are there any rules for your bathroom? If there are rules then it's nothing like Nam.

I.F.A.
09-22-2010, 10:16 AM
A) you don't grenade somebody. you frag them.

B) Are there any rules for your bathroom? If there are rules then it's nothing like Nam.

Well played.

http://gunsandtacos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/walter-sobchak-300x300.jpg

Courtney
09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
I like it as is.

In the photo, it's very difficult/impossible to make out the "Florida" and the map. it looks more like scattered colors which is why I agree with Patrick. It could be though that in reality the "Florida" is much more obvious and pronounced and so doesn't actually work.

Thanks. I guess it's not so bad; it's just not what I was aiming for.

Hannahrain
09-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Hovering toward the top of my shortlisted home decor project list is the recreation of the classic Corningware flower motif on my kitchen wall:

http://www.kayleescollectables.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/04b7d6eb890e92cef7a5d6576a885cfa.jpg

I think I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some of that wall decal material in sheets and cut it myself.

miscorrections
09-25-2010, 01:57 PM
I finally put shit on my walls today. My room is colorful, but man I have too many posters in here. I think I want to replace my Christmas lights with something cuter, and I want to find something to put above my window. Also going to make a half-curtain at some point.

Still-ill
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Anyone wanna help me rasterbate?

weeklymix
10-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Are you on a Mac? I can get programs for PC and Linux but Mac is a bit harder.

Edit, if you're in Photoshop CS2 or beyond, you can tile print in File > Print > Setup, Options Tab, Tiling.

Still-ill
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah for a Mac. I can't find anything. I simply use Gimp.

weeklymix
10-03-2010, 10:43 PM
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download&lang=english

This work?

Still-ill
10-03-2010, 10:45 PM
I'll check it out. Thanks a ton, Zack.

donkey sex
10-04-2010, 09:52 AM
those two-hour fogger things are hands down the best solution for ants. God damn pesky bastards.

TheWatcher
10-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Any advice on rebuilding drawers?

We just moved, and of course, since it's a rental, the paint job is really bad. I'm going to have to sand and replace kitchen hardware so the cabinets doors open and close.

The drawers in the kitchen are pretty bad too. A couple of the drawers don't want to open, and one drawer has a broken piece that can give you splinters. I'm looking at how the drawers are made and thinking it might not be impossible to make new ones. Or, should I just keep bugging the owners to get it fixed? (Not hopeful about that!)

PlayaDelWes
10-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Drawers are the hardest thing to build. You can buy custom ones made to your spec online, but the sum of them may end up being more than a new piece. OK, I realize that was not helpful advice.

Hannahrain
10-05-2010, 08:46 AM
If you wind up not feeling up to replacing the drawers as a whole, you could always install new slides and sand the edges a down a bit on the ones that don't want to open.

BROKENDOLL
10-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Any advice on rebuilding drawers?

We just moved, and of course, since it's a rental, the paint job is really bad. I'm going to have to sand and replace kitchen hardware so the cabinets doors open and close.

The drawers in the kitchen are pretty bad too. A couple of the drawers don't want to open, and one drawer has a broken piece that can give you splinters. I'm looking at how the drawers are made and thinking it might not be impossible to make new ones. Or, should I just keep bugging the owners to get it fixed? (Not hopeful about that!)
Because you're new tenant, they probably slapped on a coat of fresh paint without prepping anything first, and if you've mentioned the problems to them and they aren't in any hurry, tell them you think it would be easy enough to do yourself. So far, it's worked for me and then I just deduct my expense from the next month's rent. Like Hannah said, probably needs to have the tracks for the drawers sanded to make them open easier.

Hannahrain
11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I know this thread has a pretty small audience, but I was wondering if any of the people who do routinely click on it would be interested in a smaller, separate-from-the-rest-of-the-board handmade-only secret santa type gift exchange for those of us who can make things or are maybe short enough on cash to avoid the regular board secret santa*. Post here if you'd be down, and I'll facilitate if it's more than just me.

*Participation in the regular one doesn't exclude you from this, anybody who wants to make something can be involved.

SoulDischarge
11-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't think anyone on the regular one would scoff at a well thought out hand made gift.

Hannahrain
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
No, they probably wouldn't. It's a little harder to confidently join such a large exchange, though - I would be more than comfortable making something for someone I knew or someone I know to appreciate handmade things, but not everybody likes them the way some of us do and that exchange is so much more widespread that you could very well get someone you don't know at all.

I don't know. It seemed like a nice idea; I just thought I'd gauge interest.

Courtney
11-20-2010, 06:14 PM
I think this is a fabulous idea. And if no one else wants to do it, that means I WIN because I get something made by Hannah. (And she loses because she gets something made by me.)

But mostly I like the idea of a more intimate exchange where I somewhat know everyone and have an idea of their taste.

Hannahrain
11-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Happy to have you. I'll give it a week or so of pestering and irresponsible thread-bumping and then I will figure out logistics and assignments.

Hannahrain
11-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Shamelessly bumping this for exposure.

This thread bump has been brought to you by the cotter pin.

http://www.lynchpinexporter.com/images/products/cotter-pin-side.jpg

Courtney
11-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Can we have a questions survey like the other gift exchange, only with completely non-relevant questions? Like, if you were going to have an existential crisis, would you be more likely to relate to Hamlet, Holden Caufield, or Don Draper? These are the sorts of things I need to know in order to craft an adequate gift.

seandlr
11-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I'd like to participate, except the fact that the artistry on this board is amazing and it would make gift look like it came from a toddler.

Hannahrain
11-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Can we have a questions survey like the other gift exchange, only with completely non-relevant questions? Like, if you were going to have an existential crisis, would you be more likely to relate to Hamlet, Holden Caufield, or Don Draper? These are the sorts of things I need to know in order to craft an adequate gift.

This is a good idea. I will come up with something. You can add anything you'd like as well.

I'd like to participate, except the fact that the artistry on this board is amazing and it would make gift look like it came from a toddler.

It's not a contest. I'm sure anything you'd like to make would be appreciated by the recipient.

Oops. New page. Handmade secret santa is what is happening here. All are welcome to participate.

Courtney
11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
If there were quality limits imposed, this would end up just being an exchange between Hannah and Hannah.

Courtney
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I just sanded down a pair of wooden bookends and then painted them white, a la Jonathan Adler. Feeling a little light-headed now. Words to the wise: always have proper ventilation when using industrial spray paint.

chairmenmeow47
11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
i would LOVE a handmade gift exchange. i'm so glad i clicked this thread. let me know what to do.

I.F.A.
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I also love this idea! I'm in!

Courtney
11-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Yay Ivy and IFA!

Hannah, it just occurred to me that due to Hawaii and holiday shipping delays and whatnot, I really need to have all holiday packages in the mail by December 15 or so. And crafting takes time, so an accelerated timeline for receiving recipient assignments would probably preferable. :2c

Hannahrain
11-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Okay. Glad to have you, Ivy and Amy. I have cleared out some PM space, so anybody who wants to sign up please send me a private message with your address to confirm participation. I will continue to take new signups until the end of the day and then progress from there.

When you sign up, please also come back here and answer a few questions to help make sure your giftmaking person knows a little bit about you:

What was the last thing you made?

What was the last handmade thing you bought/acquired on purpose?

Do you wear accessories?

Is your home decorated with any particular color scheme?

Are you amenable to receiving edible gifts and if so, do you have any severe allergies to common edible gift ingredients?

If you were to have an existential crisis, would you identify most with Hamlet, Holden Caulfield, or Don Draper?

The last question is a wildcard. Write it, then answer it.

chairmenmeow47
11-24-2010, 09:50 AM

a princess leia slave costume out of fabric & hot glue.

probably the b&w artwork on my mantle from amy.

Do you wear accessories?

yes. i wear earrings (normal size) and necklaces. i also wear rings and occasionally i wear bracelets, though they are annoying at work. i like scarves & hats, though i don't always wear them. broaches/pins are cool, but i don't have a lot of them. please don't make me a belt.

my bedroom is red, white & black. my bathroom is a pastel green & hazy blue. my living room is TBD lol.

Are you amenable to receiving edible gifts and if so, do you have any severe allergies to common edible gift ingredients?

i'm open to it, but i'm such a picky eater it probably wouldn't be a good idea unless it's something chocolate. no allergies.

If you were to have an existential crisis, would you identify most with Hamlet, Holden Caulfield, or Don Draper?

i'd identify most with a holden caulfiled who looks like don draper.

do i like collage type items?

yes

I.F.A.
11-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Uh, I helped with Ivy's slave Leia costume. On the non-Halloweeny front, some paper-craft stuff with my friend Kevin (origami robots, Pixar character models, etc.), and I've got a 3/4s of a mural finished in my spare bedroom, which I've been working on for 3 damn months.

Teal and black striped belly dance pants that didn't end up fitting very well.

Do you wear accessories?

Yes!! I have a special love for big/loud/gaudy/costume jewelry. Also, hats, quirky scarves, and over-sized sunglasses.

My living room was once described as looking "like a harlequin threw up in it", which I don't think was meant as a compliment but I took it as such. Most of the house consists of different combinations of pistachio green, plum, or yellow (walls) with red/yellow/orange accessories. My bedroom is dark teal and has this whole bohemian boudoir vibe with hot pink rugs.

Edible gifts would probably end up going to waste, so not really.

Rozencrantz. Or, Guildenstern.

Do you have a collection of antique tea paraphernalia (cups, pots, etc.)?

Yes, yes I do.

Courtney
11-24-2010, 11:35 AM

I spray-painted some wooden horse head bookends shiny white yesterday, does that count?

A 1960s Japanese-ish inlaid tray with a cherry blossom motif

Do you wear accessories?

Yes, I wear earrings (either studs or the bigger the better) and necklaces (18"+, no chokers please). I tend not to wear bracelets or rings or brooches too often, although I will if they're really special.

My kitchen and bathroom are pale yellow and black and white. My living room is kind of a big old mess, but I guess sort of fall mid-century modern tones like mustard yellow and dark brown and olive prevail. My bedroom is deep teal and red and white. My office is pale pink and silver and white.

Yes, I am very amenable. I have no allergies. Although heads up: parcel post to Hawaii takes 6-8 weeks or more, so if you're going to send me something perishable, I recommend priority mail.

Write in: Benjamin Braddock.

Is Hannah the best for organizing this?

Yes, yes she is.

chairmenmeow47
11-24-2010, 02:16 PM
i also like over-size jewelry. i just wanted to clarify that "normal" size earrings mean that my hole size is normal. i can't think of a better way to type that.

I.F.A.
11-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm resisting the urge to quote a specific section of that post.

You might say, they're not gauged. ;)

Hannahrain
11-24-2010, 04:37 PM

A set of postcards for a friend of mine.

A screenprinted tote bag and some craft beer (I bought them at the same time).

Do you wear accessories?

Yes, but not extremely loud ones.

Not really. If I think something is awesome, I'll work it into the decor.

I love the idea of it in theory, but I find that I often don't finish whole batches of baked goods when they're given to me. A sample of something you were already making would be well received, but a batch of something would probably go to waste.

I don't think there's much room for identification with others in my existential crisis.

Did I think I'd have a better answer for this?

Yes, yes I did.

Courtney
11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Looking forward to getting my gift exchange assignment.

In other news, homemade and super easy holiday decorations at work. Yes I know we have the ugliest ceilings ever.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/5222463552_ee17e12371.jpg

miscorrections
11-30-2010, 03:39 PM
We have the same ceilings, except without cute ornaments. If I had access to construction paper here I'd be all over it.

Courtney
11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Happily, there are certain distinct advantage to working in an arts organization.

Hannahrain
11-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Okay. I still haven't heard back from everybody, but I can't keep the people who signed up quickly waiting. I will send out assignments in the next few minutes. Sorry if you missed it this round, folks, but I'll do another one next year and start it earlier.

amyzzz
11-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to getting my gift exchange assignment.

In other news, homemade and super easy holiday decorations at work. Yes I know we have the ugliest ceilings ever.

Simple, yet elegant. I :pulse you Courtney.

dorkfish
11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
anybody know if it's legal for me to purchase a replacement breaker panel to get rid of a badly installed Federal Pacific breaker panel? or do I have to suck it up and pay a contractor. also, would I save a few bucks by buying the panel myself and just paying off the labor? or would the contractor be insulted by my skinflinting?

samiksha
11-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes I know we have the ugliest ceilings ever.

I have those ceilings in my living room.

jackstraw94086
11-30-2010, 04:04 PM
anybody know if it's legal for me to purchase a replacement breaker panel to get rid of a badly installed Federal Pacific breaker panel? or do I have to suck it up and pay a contractor. also, would I save a few bucks by buying the panel myself and just paying off the labor? or would the contractor be insulted by my skinflinting?

unfortunately that'd be illegal. And in my experience contractors don't mark up stuff like that significantly. You could tell them that your friend or relative was going to do it for you cheap but you're tired of waiting for them to come back to town. That's a useful way to hint that you already know how much the parts cost.

It does sound a bit insulting to buy the parts for the contractor. For one thing they might be worried you've bought the wrong stuff, and not want to deal with an argument. Sometimes they also will get fussy about insuring their work without choosing their own parts suppliers.

It's like bringing your car to a mechanic with a new set of brakes and say "here take care of this".

do you have any other electrical work that can be taken care of to cut down on the trip cost? Maybe some extra wall outlets or somethign?

dorkfish
11-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah, but it's just a lot of minor wiring electrical work that I could do myself for the cost of some wire if I had the new breaker to assure that I wouldn't accidentally get killed. When I move in this January, I am probably going to be too lazy and just pay the guy to crawl under the house anyways.

Our inspector quoted us $3000 to replace a shed roof. Good luck with that shed.

Hannahrain
11-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Are you saying "Good luck with that, [vocative] Shed," or "Good luck with that shed [over there]"?

dorkfish
11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
the former. though Shed will not be deprived of a new roof. he'll just have to deal with 1) a blue tarp instead of proper weatherproofing and 2) my roofing abilities instead of a $3000 estimate's abilities.

Hannahrain
11-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I enjoy when British people call it a tarpaulin. It feels oddly maritime.

Hannahrain
11-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Like you could catch a fifty pound tarpaulin and gut it right there on the deck, except instead of seameat it's a big piece of woven plastic to make sure you don't let liquids step to your authority.

Hannahrain
11-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, I am avoiding a task right now.

miscorrections
11-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Hannah, don't let liquids steep to your authority.

chairmenmeow47
12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
feather quote "who the fuck has a shed, honestly?!"

Courtney
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I got the best gift exchange assignment. Thank you Hannah. I AM EXCITED.

jackstraw94086
12-01-2010, 12:40 PM
the former. though Shed will not be deprived of a new roof. he'll just have to deal with 1) a blue tarp instead of proper weatherproofing and 2) my roofing abilities instead of a $3000 estimate's abilities.

wait, is this just a shed? like to put tools in and shit? Was that inspector just doing you a favor or does this shed actually have to meet some sort of building code?

jackstraw94086
12-01-2010, 12:45 PM
btw I am giddy as hell over my new Makita 18V lithium ion drill/driver & impact kit. No more heavy ass ryobi foolishness. watch the fuck out, Home, you're about to endure a renewed surge of pokes and screwing, in holes you didn't even know you needed.

J~$$$$
12-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Yes!!! I am so happy everytime I add a new power tool to the collection that functions above and beyond the call of duty. I really think my wife is more excited than I am when we shop for power tools. Makita has a ton of new accessories for their drills. The socket set attachments have been a life saver.

dorkfish
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
wait, is this just a shed? like to put tools in and shit? Was that inspector just doing you a favor or does this shed actually have to meet some sort of building code?
Shed is attached to a detached non-habitable (i.e. no plumbing) office in the backyard. The shed and the office share a roof, so while I don't particularly care about this shed, I'll likely have to protect it's part of the roof so it doesn't leak down into the office's walls.

It's for a new house purchase, so the inspector has to inspect all safety issues on the property.

Hannahrain
12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Please hide a femur in your new shed roof to perplex and alarm citizens of the distant future.

caco0283
12-04-2010, 04:57 AM

I made ashtrays from beer cans for my new place

painting

Do you wear accessories?

no but ive really been looking for a cool necklace the resembles me

not yet just moved in and im working on that...thinking of keeping earth tones

plz nothing edible

don draper.

do i like cirque du soleil?

yes im obessed...im doing my master bathroom in cirque du soleil art

caco0283
12-05-2010, 03:11 PM
So today I went to Home Depot and bought some wood...went to my dads house to use his tools cos I don't own anything. For 4 hours my dad and his neighbors laughed at me as I tried making my gift. I failed miserably. I will try again next weekend and video tape it this time. I knew I should of taken wood shop in high school!!!!!!

chairmenmeow47
12-06-2010, 08:37 AM
i would love to see such a video.

mein may take longer than the others to arrive. fret not, i'm just a broke-ass.

wmgaretjax
12-06-2010, 08:40 AM
busted out my soldering iron today as a bunch of components came that I need to build a modular synth element. haven't done this in a while, but I'm excited to decompress from my final today with it.

caco0283
12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
i would love to see such a video.

mein may take longer than the others to arrive. fret not, i'm just a broke-ass.

im actuallly going to make it out of different material now cos i don't need to be mocked by old people...i might include a dvd of myself making the gift

HowToDisappear
12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm painting the kitchen today, and had to move the aquarium that sits on the counter away from the wall so I could paint behind it. So I siphon off the water, and in the process of starting the siphoning action, I get a good swallow of dirty aquarium water. Lovely.

Courtney
12-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Made this today (only in different colors):

http://www.purlbee.com/storage/newyearsgarland1cropped425.jpg

How to here (http://www.purlbee.com/storage/newyearsgarland1cropped425.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHE VERSION=1261507626130).

:)

Hannahrain
12-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Awesome. I keep thinking about doing something like that with all the catalogs I have around. Did you cut circles and stitch through them on a sewing machine, or is there more to it?

Courtney
12-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I think the idea is circles in felt (to prevent frays) stitched through with clear thread on a machine. But I used assorted leftover scraps of paper, taped to the string and then glued back-to-back. But, same effect, with the added bonus of being able to incorporate metallic for the holidays. Paper will probably get beat up more quickly, though.

Hannahrain
12-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Ohhh. I just assumed it was paper, but felt would be smart for durability. Though I guess don't really have any qualms about getting limited use out of reusing junk mail. It's still one more use than it was supposed to get.

Hannahrain
12-09-2010, 11:29 PM
PS - nice doves! Thank you.

Courtney
12-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Yay! I'm glad you got it.

This is on the project list now:

cwkadfx5gMs

I.F.A.
12-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm all about the terrarium trend. I've been on the look out for a cute container to do one in. I've been thinking about doing tillandsias (air plants), since I do not have the greenest thumb, and they are low maintenance.

I found this in a dumpster in the alley behind my complex last week, and spray painted it yesterday. I'm quite proud of the results. It's hard to tell because of the lighting, but the shelves are chartreuse:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/cabinet.jpg

Courtney
12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I like it!

Hannahrain
12-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Just finished my gift. I started with an idea a while back, botched it miserably, and cycled through three more botched ideas before trying the original idea again with a decent result. I'm printing a shipping label right now and will get it out today.

If the rest of y'all could just make a note here when you send your gift so I can make sure things are moving along, I'd appreciate it (I realize these things can take time and that's okay, but this is a small enough group that I feel at least somewhat obligated to keep tabs).

Edit: Paid and dropped in the box. I love technology.

chairmenmeow47
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
IFA and i did some shopping and drunken construction last night. my gift will hopefully be finalized by the weekend so i can mail it out. i wanted to finish it tonight, but it's looking like i will be working late. i had this idea before i knew who my person was, but i think i got the perfect person for this gift.

Courtney
12-16-2010, 12:39 PM
I made one attempt at a gift and failed miserably while realizing that I like the idea of creating things, more than actually have the skills to back up my ideas.

With Hannah's guidance and a new set of ideas, I am onto try #2. Still working on it, but I will confirm when things get sent out.

caco0283
12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I made one attempt at a gift and failed miserably while realizing that I like the idea of creating things, more than actually have the skills to back up my ideas.

This is my problem. I really want to make some this person will use and not be like "oh thats cool" and then put it in the closet. I've made two trips to home depot and 2 to the arts and craft store...if I fail again I will murder someone.

Expect mine to go out next week...i have a hectic bday weekend this weekend

Hannahrain
12-16-2010, 01:18 PM
My holiday travel plans have changed, so if my person hasn't mailed mine yet I can either a) give a different address or b) reassure that I'll now be gone from the 20th to the 30th and not to worry about getting it in the mail before Christmas.

caco0283
12-16-2010, 02:08 PM
dont you know who has you?

miscorrections
12-16-2010, 02:10 PM
She probably doesn't want to allow the other participants to make easy guesses as to their Secret Santa.

miscorrections
12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Hannah. Let me speak for you like you're not here.

Hannahrain
12-16-2010, 02:17 PM
That and also that I was typing on a phone with an iffy internet connection and I didn't want to attempt to navigate all the way to PMs and try to send one. Fixed the regular internet now, but I didn't realize it was going to happen so quickly. I sent a PM a few minutes ago.

S.I.A.F.U
12-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I try and go to Vegas every 6 months and when I do I love to play craps. So I looked in to buying a craps table online, for partys and what not at the house. $3000 on up for a good craps table. Forget that, so I put my contractor skills together and built this one. I built this table for under $800!!! The most expensive thing on it is all the $5 chips I got from my favorite casinos, that I inlayed in to the rail. I put it in my Home theater and we have casino night with the Coachella video playing on the big screen. Sweeeet.

Courtney
12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Finished making my gift just now. Will pop it in the mail tomorrow morning.

Also, I received THE BEST GIFT EVER. You all should be jealous. I'll wait to post it until more people receive, because the exchange is small enough that I don't want to ruin any surprises.

Courtney
12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Ok, shipped. I sent it express, but the post office says that there's only a 50/50% chance of it arriving before Christmas. Sorry dude, I really did try. Potential gift exchange failure. Hope you like it when you get it.

chairmenmeow47
12-21-2010, 01:17 PM
well obviously i didn't get courtney, but i mailed mein earlier today. i'm sorry it took so long. i finished a class yesterday. plus my boyfriend left town for three weeks and we were spending a lot of time together to make-up for it. but i promise the gift is worth the wait. i just hope it isn't ruined at all in shipping.

Kyliediscope
12-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I really like these two projects!

Cork Board (http://blog.modcloth.com/2010-07-08-quirky-corky-and-ready-to-diy)

Plastic Tote Bag (http://blog.modcloth.com/2009-03-26-mod-diy-fused-plastic-bag-tote)
I want to use a few of my plastic shopping bags from grocery stores and some retail places with neat designs and colors and make some so that I can just use them. It's a bit more eco friendly!

Courtney
12-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Plastic Tote Bag (http://blog.modcloth.com/2009-03-26-mod-diy-fused-plastic-bag-tote)
I want to use a few of my plastic shopping bags from grocery stores and some retail places with neat designs and colors and make some so that I can just use them. It's a bit more eco friendly!

Oh man I love this. Totally going to try.

caco0283
12-22-2010, 10:09 AM
i dont work tomorrow so im going to send my off tomorrow...i think i did ok with my gift. Thanks Hannah this was fun

I.F.A.
12-23-2010, 08:50 AM
As of today mine is officially in the mail.

It won't be there before Christmas, but I hope it's worth the wait.

chairmenmeow47
12-25-2010, 02:26 PM
i love my gift, thank you!!!!!! i'll post pics when everyone else gets there's. my recipient should get theirs mid-next week.

caco0283
12-27-2010, 11:53 AM
just sent off my gift...sorry it took so long but I didn't have time to paint this thing until yesterday

chairmenmeow47
12-28-2010, 08:31 AM
someone should be getting their gift today... i pray to the gods it ain't broken!

caco0283
12-28-2010, 10:10 AM
IVY YOU ARE FUCKING AWESOME!! MUCH LOVE

chairmenmeow47
12-28-2010, 11:16 AM
yay! glad you liked it :) i had the idea before i drew your name, but i figured you were the perfect choice for the gift.

J~$$$$
12-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Is it a whittled tebow dildo?

Hannahrain
12-28-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm having to leave my family's place a day early - unfortunately, they have to attend an unexpected wake in Seattle. My gift still hasn't arrived here, but hopefully it'll get here after they get back and they'll be able to send it along. You folks go ahead and post about yours when the last one arrives and I'll catch up with you guys when I get mine.

Courtney
12-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Ok, it's almost 2011. I'm posting my gift because it rules and my patience is waning.

Hannah was my secret santa and she sent me a gorgeously-wrapped package containing this super sweet ink drawing of an Eames loungechair and ottoman in a homemade shadowbox frame:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5242/5273232886_172336b42c_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5272624337_af92f02a7f_z.jpg

So freaking awesome. It's hanging on the wall in my entryway now. Love! Thank you Hannah!

BROKENDOLL
12-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Ok, it's almost 2011. I'm posting my gift because it rules and my patience is waning.

Hannah was my secret santa and she sent me a gorgeously-wrapped package containing this super sweet ink drawing of an Eames loungechair and ottoman in a homemade shadowbox frame:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5242/5273232886_172336b42c_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5272624337_af92f02a7f_z.jpg

So freaking awesome. It's hanging on the wall in my entryway now. Love! Thank you Hannah!
Wow, Hannah's gift-wrapping alone makes for a cool gift!

chairmenmeow47
01-01-2011, 09:12 AM
i will also post. my DIY secret santa was... courtney! thanks so much :) you did nice work!!! these were taken with my camera phone before i got my camera. let's do this again next year!!!

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881446-2/christmas+2010+-+21.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881418-2/christmas+2010+-+14.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881422-2/christmas+2010+-+15.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881426-2/christmas+2010+-+16.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881434-1/christmas+2010+-+18.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881442-2/christmas+2010+-+20.jpg

chairmenmeow47
01-01-2011, 09:14 AM
also, i took pics of the gift i sent to caco, so i'll post those cause it's very much board related :)

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881450-2/christmas+2010+-+22.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881462-2/christmas+2010+-+25.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881462-2/christmas+2010+-+25.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881470-2/christmas+2010+-+27.jpg

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/881478-2/christmas+2010+-+29.jpg

Hannahrain
01-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Those are both awesome. I'm impressed with you two, and I agree with Ivy - let's do it again next year.

I decided 2011 is the year I get back into sewing regularly as well as making good use of things I already have, materials-wise. When the ball dropped, I was pressing the seams into this toile knitting needle holder:

http://img.skitch.com/20110101-c6wbi3ik34jmchty8wr8kdd1ta.png

I'm pretty rusty, but I'm looking forward to finally making all the stuff I've been intending to make in the vague "when-I-start-sewing-again" future.

Edit - My folks just got back from Washington and they said my secret santa gift is there, so my mom is going to send it up here this week.

BROKENDOLL
01-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I really should have done this since I also have a room full of DIY crafts and supplies. Hannah, your gift wrappings skillz are outstanding, as are Courtney's sewing ability. I do have to say though, that Coachella countdown calendar is way too cool! Felt is one of the crafty things I haven't managed to try yet. Must look into this further... I didn't participate in either exchange this year and that was kind of a bummer, but between the two, I'm liking the DIY one...totally cool and crafty board we have here!

Geno_g
01-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm doing the cork board idea I saw in this thread, been collecting corks from bottle conditioned beers (more of a beer person than a wine person), thanks for posting that...

I.F.A.
01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I am still anxiously awaiting my secret santa present.

Also, my New Year's resolution was to get all of my painting projects done this month. So far, I've finally finished my damn cherry blossom mural, and re-painted my kitchen cabinets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/mural.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/cabinets.jpg

Hannahrain
01-08-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm waiting for mine too, but it's my mother's fault. I know it arrived in Eugene already.

Mostly, I'm posting right now to say that last night's idle experimentation led to a pretty interesting and successful project - leather debossing. The leather I used was too dark to get a clear photo, so I don't have an example, but I was able to heat up assorted old wooden-handled metal tools with a lighter to get some pretty awesome effects. I'm excited to try it on something lighter - I think I can probably paint India ink or some sort of other dye into the impressions for a patina effect.

Hannahrain
01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Got my gift! I love it. I was only at home for a brief minute, so I didn't have a chance to do pictures, but I'll be back tomorrow and will edit one in. Thanks! Very thoughtful and useful, and the card is absolutely adorable.

So - Amy, I know yours has been sent, but if it doesn't arrive by the end of January, I'm going to send you something to hold you over/make up for it.

HowToDisappear
02-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Hey, mid century furniture fans, what should I do? I've been coveting an Eames chair and ottoman for quite some time, so when a vintage Plycraft chair and ottoman (like the example on the right) came up cheap on craigslist, I bought it:

http://mimomito.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/picture-61.png

Unfortunately, the vinyl had faded to the same pukey green as the ottoman on the left. The color is hideous. And, though it's supposed to be the replacement for my husband's current TV/gaming chair, he says it hurts his butt. I can A) get it reupholstered in leather, B) buy a new Eames repro knock-off in leather for less than the cost of redoing the vintage chair (online, so I wouldn't be able to see or try it in advance), or C) scuttle this altogether and put his beloved Ikea Poang chair that I've been desperately trying to rid myself of back in its place of honor in front of the TV, and put the Plycraft back on craigslist and hope I can recoup my 150 bucks. (I think my hopes of getting what I want at a reasonable cost are fading.)

J~$$$$
02-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Thats a bummer because the eames chairs are probably the most comfortable chair ever. I would sell both and buy this one.

http://www.milandirect.co.uk/shop/lounge-chair-and-ottoman-eames-reproduction-black/
$592.11
Bad part is figuring out how to ship states side.

HowToDisappear
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I KNOW. Sitting in a real Eames chair is HEAVEN. This chair is a disappointment, but I think the comfort level can be increased greatly with a good reupholstering. And I've only got the one chair; I used that google pic as illustration. This place (https://www.euromoderno.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=mcls) sells knock-offs for 699.00, but they don't have a B&M store here and I'm leery of buying things like that online.

Courtney
03-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Holy awesome. WANT (http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/inspiration/pirate-ship-bedroom-140304).

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/uimages/ohdeedoh/pirateship.jpg

I.F.A.
03-02-2011, 07:37 AM
You also subscribe to Apartment Therapy?

And, yeah, coolest bedroom ever.

menikmati
03-02-2011, 08:36 AM
That pirate ship is a cool idea until the son turns 13.

Courtney
03-02-2011, 08:55 AM
You also subscribe to Apartment Therapy?

And, yeah, coolest bedroom ever.

Love AT :thu

That pirate ship is a cool idea until the son turns 13.

No no, I don't want it for my nonexistent son. I want it for myself.

I.F.A.
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
While we're on the topic of AT, these chairs. OMG.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/ny/celerielg2.jpg

Also, since this thread has been revived, I recently painted my bathroom door gold. Which, it's really hard to get a good picture of something painted gold when it's very close to the light source in a very small space, fyi.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/golddoor2-1.jpg

chairmenmeow47
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
did you ever get your secret santa gift?

Courtney
03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
While we're on the topic of AT, these chairs. OMG.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/ny/celerielg2.jpg

Also, since this thread has been revived, I recently painted my bathroom door gold. Which, it's really hard to get a good picture of something painted gold when it's very close to the light source in a very small space, fyi.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/golddoor2-1.jpg

These are both most awesome. And I actually love that wall in the first photo, even though I would never dare paint any room near that dark.

I'm getting the sense that your tastes veer towards a sort of Hollywood Regency/Art Deco aesthetic. Yes?

I tend to go a little more Danish Mid-Century Modern, but I sort of wish I didn't because sometimes it gets a little Ikea-y.

Gribbz
03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Um, WANT.

http://www.homedsgn.com/2011/03/09/duplex-apartment-with-a-helical-slide-in-new-york-city/

I.F.A.
03-10-2011, 07:48 AM
That slide is AWESOME.

These are both most awesome. And I actually love that wall in the first photo, even though I would never dare paint any room near that dark.

I'm getting the sense that your tastes veer towards a sort of Hollywood Regency/Art Deco aesthetic. Yes?

I tend to go a little more Danish Mid-Century Modern, but I sort of wish I didn't because sometimes it gets a little Ikea-y.

Thanks. I think I'm going more in that direction lately, though my design sense is pretty damn eclectic so it's hard to fit it in to one school. A lot of my style is firmly fixed in the 70s. I'm a big fan of mid-century pieces (I have a mid-century card catalog in my living room, just to the left of the picture below), but the look often seems a little too spare for me.

Also, I did this collage last night. It's hard to tell from the picture, but they're library check-out cards, which I liberated from some books we were getting rid of at work:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/aaeichsteadt/collage.jpg

chairmenmeow47
03-10-2011, 07:50 AM
way to liberate :)

and that slide is fantastic!!!

tessalasset
03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
God I need to get back into this thread. Bummed I missed DIY secret santa. This year I'm in!

tessalasset
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Oh also I haven't seen it mentioned in here yet, and it's more real estate than DIY design, but I LOVE the Curbed LA website.

http://la.curbed.com/

There are so many awesome houses on this site and it's broken down by neighborhood. They also have Curbed National, Curbed NY, DC, and Chicago. I'm sure a lot of you have heard of it, but just wanted to add it to the thread.

dorkfish
03-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I thought that I would contribute a lot to this thread. But actual hardcore DIY/home repair is more angering in practice than photographically fun.

We've removed carpet, stripped hardwood floors, refinished said floors, repaired all sinks and toilets (specifically with those 1/2 water saving buttons), replaced pipes, started a garden, built custom shelving, installed a new dishwasher, rekeyed our locks, repaired doors and windows, and countless other things. Oh electrical wiring is somewhat cathartic. We may not have ground wires, but I've removed everyone 2-prong outlet on the property and replaced them with GFCI outlets. So that's somewhat safer, in theory.

I might start photographing things again, though, but it's really just an annoying process and the camera doesn't assist with the morale.

Over the next few months, we're going to refinish the cabinets in the kitchen, install custom baseboards, build custom closet doors, wire the house for ethernet, add some more electrical outlets, repair some studs in the garage, epoxy the garage floor... I think we might paint the exterior this summer, as well.

Hannahrain
03-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Do before/after shots. It's less infuriating and you don't get spackle on the shutter button.