PDA

View Full Version : Love for Yeasayer

beavington
02-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I think this is now the band I am most looking forward to seeing. Fucking love "Odd Blood", "All Hour Cymbals" is great but loving the new one a bit more.

I pray they are not in the gobi after 1pm and before 6pm

WhyTheLongFace
02-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Love them but due to conflicts I'm already prepping myself to not see them

zajaa
02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
stoked. must see.

FoxeyLady
02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I have a feeling that between Yeasayer, Fever Ray, Them Crooked Vultures, The Specials, Grizzly Bear and Jay-Z being on my must see list, friday is going to be very painful/awesome... kinda like rough sex.

Stickjohn
02-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeasayer is a great festival band.

brando4n82
02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Pitchforks review of Odd Blodd BLOWS!

Even though they usually do, I thought they'd give them more credit

rage patton
02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Actually, the pitchfork review of Odd Blood is basically what I thought of it after one or two listens. However, it has grown on me significantly and I would give the album much more credit now.

Remember, they only gave All Hours Cymbals a 7.8. I bet you anything if the reviewer could go back now, they would give the album a high 8. Yeasayer albums appear to be growers.

beavington
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I have listened to All Hour Cymbals more and it is growing on me. Actually I didnt like Odd Blood at first either, but then songs got stuck in my head like Love Me Girl. (I am guessing they open with that song)

TallGuyCM
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Whatever the time of the day is they play, it's gonna be packed.

zajaa
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
p4k review pretty much nailed it, sadly. still stoked to see em.

beavington
02-11-2010, 11:56 AM
p4k review pretty much nailed it, sadly. still stoked to see em.

id say give the album another try. yeah and i tuned out of pitchforks review a quarter of the way through because htey are full of shit because the album is really good.
In my experience the albums i love the most are the ones i hated from the start.

FoxeyLady
02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I agree with P4K about half the time and I agree with them when they said the album kind of gets derailed in the second half. However there are still a handful of amazing songs on Odd Blood and I am really excited to see them.

Hier_Proctor
02-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I heard one Yeasayer song about a year ago. I don't remember the name of the song, and I don't remember how it went, but I remember I was impressed. So I just purchased Odd Blood on a whim. Three songs in and I'm loving it.

trentmorrison
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
good band, but the new stuff is too catchy to the point that it is annoying

ZackQ
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Actually, the pitchfork review of Odd Blood is basically what I thought of it after one or two listens. However, it has grown on me significantly and I would give the album much more credit now.

Remember, they only gave All Hours Cymbals a 7.8. I bet you anything if the reviewer could go back now, they would give the album a high 8. Yeasayer albums appear to be growers.

THIS. I listened to the album a few times and then put it in my car. After like four days, my entire opinion of it changed.

Coachella Bound
02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
So i went and found a copy this weekend...... well hello 80's New Wave!

Im on my 4th go all the way through, it flows alot better than AHC, but my favorite tracks still remain on that album. I played it for the first time w/ a group that didnt much care for it, but the second and third time ive been by myself and its a grower for shizzle...

"Inspired by the New Zealand LSD experience, the group's new record is a dizzying, hyperdetailed mix of heady prog-rock, New Wave hooks and electro-tribal grooves."

R.S. Mag Iss 1098

if u havnt read the article its a quick jump into who they are, what theyve been doing, but more so whats going on now... i cant believe i just supported that damn mag but they do get it right sometimes.

AlexBlewHimB4U
02-15-2010, 10:43 AM
It's time that you know...you don't move me anymoooooorrrrrrreeee

Can't wait to hear that and "Sunrise" live!

Vicks
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
First song I heard from them was Sunrise, loved it. Then came Ambling Alp, hated it!!
But... I bought Odd Blood and I cant stop listening to it. I Remember and O.N.E. are my faves, they give me chills. Cant wait to see them live!

TomServo
02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I tried 'em on a few years ago, and it didn't take. Saw them on TV the other day... there's a certain level of projected hipness that makes the music less interesting.

I'll still try to catch 'em if there's not a conflict, but I won't be surprised if I leave feeling like they just need another latte and six years of graduate school midtown.

reactdrummer34
02-15-2010, 06:49 PM
They will kick ass...

quicksand
02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Pitchforks review of Odd Blodd BLOWS!

Yeah, so? That's what, one persons opinion that gets published and read a lot?

It does however, suck a big one. They're sort of dead to me after what they did with Odd Blood. That was a very short lived love. All Hour Cymbals will always be awesome but shit..

electrocute
02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I really love a few of the songs especially from the new album, and am suuuuper excited to see them at Coach. Bought the LP record of it today and already have been enjoying ^_^

TallGuyCM
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I like the new album a good bit. I will be disappointed if they drop "Wait for the Summer" from their setlists, to me that's their best song by far.

sleepybrew
02-16-2010, 12:21 AM
can't wait to hear "sunrise" out in the desert

tessalasset
02-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Really really excited to see them.

rage patton
02-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I like the new album a good bit. I will be disappointed if they drop "Wait for the Summer" from their setlists, to me that's their best song by far.

Have they not been playing it live recently? If so, that would be a major shame. It is incredible live. I love this version...

5eR8oW9F-f0&

First song I heard from them was Sunrise, loved it. Then came Ambling Alp, hated it!!
But... I bought Odd Blood and I cant stop listening to it. I Remember and O.N.E. are my faves, they give me chills. Cant wait to see them live!

Funny. The first time I had ever heard them was on the Lolla 08 Webcast, I tuned in just as Yeasayer were starting. They opened up with "Ambling Alp" and it absolutely floored me. I was extremely disapointed when I found out there wasn't a recorded version of the song at that point. When they first released "Ambling Alp" as a single I was extremely pleased about how it sounded. And I still am. I would argue it may even be their best live song. The bassist blows me away in that song.

TallGuyCM
02-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I have no idea what they've been playing live and what they haven't, I'm just saying it would be a travesty if they dropped that one.

TBrown33
02-22-2010, 12:14 PM
They played it at Natural History Museum. I'm more of a 2080 guy, though.

CoachellaBlood
02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
From a recent Ireland setlist:

The Children
Madder Red
Tightrope
Love Me Girl
I Remember
Wait for the Summer
Final Path
Strange Reunions
Rome
Ambling Alp
Mondegreen
O.N.E.

Encore:
Grizelda
Sunrise

rage patton
02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Woh... ALL of Odd Blood? Crazy. No Forgiveness or (Red Cave) makes me a sad Panda.

Actually, only 3 songs off of All Hours Cymbals? That is disapointing.

CoachellaBlood
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I was hoping for Red Cave too. I'm still very excited to hear all of Odd Blood live. That is, depending on how much time is given to them.

Cdubby
02-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Damn it. I just downloaded Yeasayer's Odd Blood after being extremely excited about the song Ambling Alp (which is a fantastic tune imo), and this is some cheesy shit.

rage patton
02-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Cdubby... read what others in this thread have said about Odd Blood. Its a grower.

Cdubby
02-22-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm hoping, they're talented. I'll need to give the first album a shot.

CoachellaBlood
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Both albums are amazing to me. From what I have seen from live videos, they are amazing on stage as well. They are the biggest must see for me.

CasualJJ
02-26-2010, 10:23 AM
All Hour Cymbals is a fantastic album. Odd Blood has it's hits and misses. Like others said, it's still a grower. And their set at Lollapalooza in '08 was pretty good.

kroqken
02-26-2010, 05:00 PM
I wanted to see them at the Natural History Museum but it sold out in advance.

Bwilliamson30
02-26-2010, 06:05 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4msowO5-h8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4msowO5-h8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Harrisment
02-26-2010, 08:37 PM
My favorite tracks on the new album have to be O.N.E. and Rome. Just gotten into them recently and really looking forward to their set.

Harrisment
02-26-2010, 08:42 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6vaqJsI2yzk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6vaqJsI2yzk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

beavington
02-26-2010, 08:44 PM
I wanted to see them at the Natural History Museum but it sold out in advance.

i really wanted to go to that but only found out about it the night of and figured it was a no-go

schmechel-deckle
02-27-2010, 03:32 AM
Woh... ALL of Odd Blood? Crazy. No Forgiveness or (Red Cave) makes me a sad Panda.

Actually, only 3 songs off of All Hours Cymbals? That is disapointing.

Their recent shows have all been the same with all of Odd Blood, and always the same 3 songs from All Hour Cymbals... still won't miss it.

tessalasset
02-27-2010, 03:38 AM
I really love Red Cave. That set list bums me out.

Sublimestylee7
02-27-2010, 11:57 AM
remixed mondegreen off OB, check it out

myspace.com/spaceman.project

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOl--0Eocbo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOl--0Eocbo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Snorlax
02-27-2010, 12:25 PM
From a recent Ireland setlist:

The Children
Madder Red
Tightrope
Love Me Girl
I Remember
Wait for the Summer
Final Path
Strange Reunions
Rome
Ambling Alp
Mondegreen
O.N.E.

Encore:
Grizelda
Sunrise

This would not disappoint me at all. I can't wait to hear the new songs live and am considering the All Hour Cymbals songs as a special bonus.

I'm planning on being front and (near) center no matter who they're playing against.
... unless it's the specials

terrible1fi
02-28-2010, 10:21 AM
stoner rock zzzZZZzzz

over1/2decade
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM
There gonna be the talk of the weekend when it's all said and done. Id love to see them on the outdoor stage!

gooftroop
03-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Been listening to Yeasayer a lot this weekend, REALLY pumped for their Coachella performance. Definitely agree that the new album is a grower, I don't love every song but many are just fantastic. When they bust out Madder Red and everyone sings along I think that will be a truly great Coachella moment.

newnostalgia
03-08-2010, 07:18 AM
their first album -awesome.

2nd album-no progress was made so id say its an epic fail compared to the first.. its sounds like fuckin pop, amblin alp is shit and so is the rest.. they so sold out and made it exactly what we havent been waiting for... yay its got corporate smell all over it.

citizenerased
03-08-2010, 09:46 AM
I want more creepy songs like The Children.

beavington
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM

2nd album-no progress was made so id say its an epic fail compared to the first.. its sounds like fuckin pop, amblin alp is shit and so is the rest.. they so sold out and made it exactly what we havent been waiting for... yay its got corporate smell all over it.

explain how they sold out and give specific examples? I do not see any evidence they they sold out.

Unless selling out just means you dont like it.

ArcticMuse
03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I want more creepy songs like The Children.

amen. the children is an amazing song. but I liked AHC way better, kinda disappointed w odd blood. but from what ive seen on youtube they are gonna be sooo insane live.

newnostalgia
03-08-2010, 02:40 PM
well, im just finding it very hard to find the same oomf that the first album had... in my opinion they should of used more of those awesome native american influenced chants and less crappy digital sounds.

like that madder then red song.. the singing is awesome on that chant bit.. and the rest of the song is kinda plain.

it just feels like they took yeasayer and let some euro techno trash piss all over it.

Bwilliamson30
03-08-2010, 04:13 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/prowXyjsA3w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/prowXyjsA3w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

seems to be the current stage set up, think we will see it at Coachella?

Coachella Bound
03-08-2010, 04:26 PM

you ever think that maybe this is who Yeasayer really is...? and maybe AHC was just an album over influenced by MGMT and Animal Collective.

This was a direction for them on their own and im glad they took it. Its taken me a good 12 listens now, i assure you i felt the pop sensation when i first heard it. But after a few listens it really took me back to an 80s new wave feel, and yet combined it w/ a much more modern sound that somehow made it even better. Id say watch them live, liisten to the album a few more times, then make the "sold out" statement

amen. the children is an amazing song. but I liked AHC way better, kinda disappointed w odd blood. but from what ive seen on youtube they are gonna be sooo insane live.

disappointed....? maybe u need to lower ur expectations and appreciate artists for their ability to create music at diff points in their lives.

jgafs
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
just got Ambling Alp on wax today...looking forward their set on Friday the 16th.

ArcticMuse
03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
disappointed....? maybe u need to lower ur expectations and appreciate artists for their ability to create music at diff points in their lives.

i never said anything negative. it just wasnt what i expected. yeah its their own sound maybe, but maybe its experimental who knows. i digged the mgmt/animal collective vibe they had & what they translated it into. and if you didnt then your anti-mgmt. & if your anti-mgmt then you shouldnt be on these message boards.

Coachella Bound
03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
i never said anything negative. it just wasnt what i expected. yeah its their own sound maybe, but maybe its experimental who knows. i digged the mgmt/animal collective vibe they had & what they translated it into. and if you didnt then your anti-mgmt. & if your anti-mgmt then you shouldnt be on these message boards.

something tells me you like penis...

ArcticMuse
03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
something tells me you like penis...

howd you know?
something tells me you do too...

Coachella Bound
03-08-2010, 08:02 PM
howd you know?
something tells me you do too...

dont start w/ me woman, ill make it rain!

Jayleigh
03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm loving them, can't wait to see em live :)

gooftroop
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
New video out for O.N.E!!! Check it out...pretty weird, especially that space age board game they're playing.

http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4517&Itemid=206

over1/2decade
03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I love there stage new stage set up ad I can't wait for Madder red it's gonna melt my face

rag and bone
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
holy shit i love that O.N.E. video it made my afternoon fucking can't wait to finally get to see them

newnostalgia
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
if you look at the videos of their live sets... u see that there is an unbalance in the music which the keyboardist creates... he goes of on his crazy solo outbursts and his flow sucks... gimme more of that communal soulful sound that they create solely with their instruments and voices minus the keyboard guy.

i think the bands focus has shifted a bit towards exactly this guy... to be honest i dont even really like his voice that much..

that been said i hope they return to that warm mystifying sound, that all the others do have. or even a side project...whatever.. i just truly hate their new sound... like i have to actually hold my hand down from turning it off while trying to listen to it..

schmechel-deckle
03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Friday can't come soon enough, I can't wait to be dancing my ass off to Rome and Mondegreen