PDA

View Full Version : MGMT's Sophomore Album = "We Can Do Whatever the Hell We Want"

kitt kat
02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Tracklisting:

1. It's Working
2. Song for Dan Treacy
3. Someone's Missing
4. Flash Delirium
5. I Found a Whistle
6. Siberian Breaks
7. Brian Eno
8. Lady Dada's Nightmare
9. Congratulations

Congratulations comes out April 13.

With tracknames like "Brian Eno" and "Lady Dada" I want to punch these poofnuggets in the face.

Thoughts? Better/worse than the debut?

zajaa
02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
sophomore slump predicted

Monklish
02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
You really think you're breaking this news?

rage patton
02-09-2010, 09:18 AM
I saw MGMT twice last year. At Bonnaroo and in Paris. At Bonnaroo, the only new song I caught was "Congratulations" and it was fucking awful. In Paris they played another 2 new songs, and "Congratulations," which was again, awful. The other two new songs they played weren't as bad... they were just boring. They weren't dancey, or fun and they had no hook. This album is going to suck balls.

ThomThom
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM

It hasn't even leaked yet, how the fuck would anybody be able to answer this?

malcolmjamalawesome
02-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Are you asking us to make comparisons of the records based on this record's track titles alone?

ThomThom
02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I saw MGMT twice last year. At Bonnaroo and in Paris. At Bonnaroo, the only new song I caught was "Congratulations" and it was fucking awful. In Paris they played another 2 new songs, and "Congratulations," which was again, awful. The other two new songs they played weren't as bad... they were just boring. They weren't dancey, or fun and they had no hook. This album is going to suck balls.

It seems like your really into MGMT Josh.

Lemonparty
02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I predict this album will bring the apocolypse and monklish will declare MGMT as their new favourite band and the world did rejoice upon thee.

signmeup
02-09-2010, 09:23 AM
As previously reported, Spacemen 3's Peter "Sonic Boom" Kember produced the album, while Jennifer Herrema of Royal Trux/RTX guests. Dave Fridmann mixed it. According to Spin, the tracks were mostly inspired by surfing, except for the instrumental "Lady Dada's Nightmare", which is an homage to Lady Gaga, and the title track, which is about "the world economic crisis." Andrew VanWyngarden tells Spin that the 12-minute-long "Siberian Breaks" is "like eight different songs strung together into one, and the general theme is about surfing in the Arctic Circle by Russia." And he previously told New York magazine that "Brian Eno" is "kind of a vampire-punk-rock song about finding Brian Eno in like a cathedral in Transylvania."

hmm

ShyGuy75
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM

you are well known to have horrible taste in music on this forum, so yeah. keep posting.

RedThom
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Andrew VanWyngarden tells Spin that the 12-minute-long "Siberian Breaks" is "like eight different songs strung together into one, and the general theme is about surfing in the Arctic Circle by Russia." And he previously told New York magazine that "Brian Eno" is "kind of a vampire-punk-rock song about finding Brian Eno in like a cathedral in Transylvania.

this part had me laughing pretty damn hard.

Botrocker
02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
This sounds ridiculous.

rage patton
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
It seems like your really into MGMT Josh.

I actually really like the first MGMT album. I saw them in summer 08 and they were a lot of fun. I saw them after NIN ended at Bonnaroo and they were pretty damn awful. I then saw them in Paris at a music festival over there because they were playing right before The Prodigy. Definitely not awful, but not that great either. Based on the new songs I have heard though, the album is not going to be good. At all.

you are well known to have horrible taste in music on this forum, so yeah. keep posting.

You were adopted and your parents don't love you.

captncrzy
02-09-2010, 10:11 AM
It hasn't even leaked yet, how the fuck would anybody be able to answer this?

dingdingding

superfiction
02-09-2010, 10:12 AM
theyre a snoozefest now. theyll be a snoozefest next album too

Monklish
02-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I wish they'd stuck with David Friedman as their producer. Who the fuck is this guy? He produced Spacemen 3? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

bmack86
02-09-2010, 10:37 AM
He was part of Spacemen 3. I saw Pete do a show last year, and the two guys from MGMT joined him for a cover of Devo's Mongoloid.

humanoid
02-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I wish the album was actually titled, "We Can Do Whatever the Hell We Want"

Monklish
02-09-2010, 10:54 AM
But Spacemen 3 sucks. Why the fuck didn't they stick with the last guy. Goddamn kids.

suprefan
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Tracklisting:

1. It's Working
2. Song for Dan Treacy
3. Someone's Missing
4. Flash Delirium
5. I Found a Whistle
6. Siberian Breaks
7. Brian Eno
8. Lady Dada's Nightmare
9. Congratulations

Congratulations comes out April 13.

With tracknames like "Brian Eno" and "Lady Dada" I want to punch these poofnuggets in the face.

Obviously its going to suck. And this is thread worthy? We are busy with Yawnaroo right now.

Astrid
02-09-2010, 10:58 AM
i really want to know wtf vampire-punk-rock is? is this some new-fangled genre im not privy to. or is VAMPIRE not in anyway a particular sound or type of music???

p.s. supre STOP SAYING NEW TOPICS ARE NOT THREAD WORTHY!!! go take your midol. jesus.

miscorrections
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I kind of like that they clearly don't give a fuck and are doing whatever the hell they want to do. Sure, it'll suck, but they're kind of cheeky and charming.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
i really want to know wtf vampire-punk-rock is? is this some new-fangled genre im not privy to. or is VAMPIRE not in anyway a particular sound or type of music???

p.s. supre STOP SAYING NEW TOPICS ARE NOT THREAD WORTHY!!! go take your midol. jesus.

It's not a new topic.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36686&highlight=MGMT

Now what?

Astrid
02-09-2010, 11:01 AM
It's not a new topic.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36686&highlight=MGMT

Now what?

comment still stands as is. dude needs to chill.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't know what any of you douchebags are talking about. Oracular Spectacular is a fucking masterpiece. The follow up might in fact suck, but I think it's unfair to consider it a foregone conclusion. The producer news troubles me though. I suspect these boys--to whatever extent they are any good at writing this shit--really need guidance.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
comment still stands as is. dude needs to chill.

Admit it, though.

ShyGuy75
02-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't know what any of you douchebags are talking about. Oracular Spectacular is a fucking masterpiece. The follow up might in fact suck, but I think it's unfair to consider it a foregone conclusion. The producer news troubles me though. I suspect these boys--to whatever extent they are any good at writing this shit--really need guidance.

dude! don't you know that it is cool now to bash mgmt? i mean, all the hipsters can write and create waaaaay better music than these guys. get with the program, wang.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
FUCK THAT.

Shake MY motherfuckin handshake, bitches. Seal my balls-deal.

ThomThom
02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I think the follow up album is going to suck because they have a song called Brian Eno and that sucks, they also have a song that may sound like something called Vampire Punk Rock and I think that sucks too, not to mention the fact that I heard two of the songs live at a festival way before they were on this new album and they kind of sounded like they sucked. I don't even need to listen to this album when it comes out in 3 months because I know it will suck.

Bottom line: The album is going to suck.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't see how the songs sucking live has anything to do with the matter. They're not particularly good at playing anything live. And they've always been full of weird shit like vampire punk whatever. They're jackoffs like that.

psycobetabuckdown
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
They weren't dancey, or fun and they had no hook. This album is going to suck balls.

God forbid they stop writing cheery little synthpop songs and change their sound a little for the next album.

This complaint is like the complaint that there wasn't enough rapping on Angel Dust or Gogol Bordello's next album doesn't have enough folksy european bagpipe noises.

thestripe
02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't see how a song about finding Brian Eno in a cathedral in Transylvania can possibly suck. Shit's already got my attention.

miscorrections
02-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Apparently they told some Grammys interviewer that they were there to see Hall & Oates. They certainly have some redeeming factors.

ThomThom
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't see how so many people can say something is going to suck when all they have are ideas of what something is going to sound like. I thoroughly enjoyed their debut so I am definitely interested in all of the descriptions of the album's sound that were previously posted

ShyGuy75
02-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I want to punch these poofnuggets in the face.

didn't mars bar go on and on about how great it was that she was going to see them at some tiny space at USC and hopefully get to touch them? what happened with that?

ThomThom
02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
didn't mars bar go on and on about how great it was that she was going to see them at some tiny space at USC and hopefully get to touch them? what happened with that?

I do remember her constantly gloating at one point that she saw them at some USC frat house gang bang.

Astrid
02-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Admit it, though.

oh i admit it thoroughly. i admit it with a vengeance.

but as i said, i think it is a waste of time to post in every thread that it isnt "thread worthy"

back to reality: why is it that these kids suck so bad performing live? i absolutely ADORE oracular, but if a band consistently sucks at live performance, that says something, right?

captncrzy
02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I do remember her constantly gloating at one point that she saw them at some USC frat house gang bang.

saw...?

Coachella Bound
the new album is going to be amazing you can all go fuck yourselves!

and theyve never been that good live so i dont get what the big deal is about their new songs not being good live.

ShyGuy75
they don't suck live. randy is just conforming.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
oh i admit it thoroughly. i admit it with a vengeance.

but as i said, i think it is a waste of time to post in every thread that it isnt "thread worthy"

back to reality: why is it that these kids suck so bad performing live? i absolutely ADORE oracular, but if a band consistently sucks at live performance, that says something, right?

Eh. Kid writes good lyrics but he can't sing. As someone who can't sing myself, I sympathize with him. They should probably hire somebody to be the lead singer, but they're the focal point of the band. Whattaya gonna do?

Monklish
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
He's not the kind of bad singer that just makes you want to kill people though, like Liars or Ariel Pink or Billy Corgan. He just has a weak voice. Can't project.

Astrid
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Eh. Kid writes good lyrics but he can't sing. As someone who can't sing myself, I sympathize with him. They should probably hire somebody to be the lead singer, but they're the focal point of the band. Whattaya gonna do?

Bitch, bitch incessantly. Duh.

juloxx
02-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Simple solution

Catch small animal -------> Inscribe Pentagram in creature's stomach --------> Sacrifice animal to Satan -------> Acquire singing skillz -------> Prophet.

captncrzy
02-09-2010, 11:33 AM
http://photos-641.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v236/98/82/3430641/n3430641_37623881_3988.jpg
oh look. here i am.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v233/52/118/828628495/n828628495_772113_5365.jpg
andrew remembered me from last weekend

http://photos-641.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v236/98/82/3430641/n3430641_37623589_2746.jpg
before booka shade

me and andrew from mgmt
horrible picture of me, but whatever
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v236/98/82/3430641/n3430641_37535584_399.jpg

miscorrections
02-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't think that's how you get to be a prophet.

thestripe
02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Where's the one of Randy on acid sucking the leads dick?

Monklish
02-09-2010, 11:35 AM
You guys got pictures of that?

thestripe
I don't think that's how you get to be a prophet.

Don't kill his dreams.

Coachella Bound

oh ive seen them, they suck live.... but im giving them another chance, i think theyre brilliant.

captncrzy
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm not up to looking for Randy pictures.

ShyGuy75
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
'andrew remembered me from last weekend'

he has the classic "oh fck, this biatch again?!" look on his face.

TomAz
02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
It's about fucking time somebody wrote a song about Brian Eno.

stinkbutt
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't see why writing songs about and/or naming songs after other artists is a bad thing. I mean Bowie and several others did it all the time. I'm in no way saying these guys are anywhere near that, and I'm sure the new album will be bad; but why get so pissed off about song titles?

TomAz
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM

oh ive seen them, they suck live.... but im giving them another chance, i think theyre brilliant.

I thought MGMT sucked until I saw them live, and after that my opinion of them totally changed.

TomAz
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't see why writing songs about and/or naming songs after other artists is a bad thing. I mean Bowie and several others did it all the time. I'm in no way saying these guys are anywhere near that, and I'm sure the new album will be bad; but why get so pissed off about song titles?

I wasn't kidding. I was serious. I do actually think it is about fucking time someone wrote a song about Eno. Writing songs about real people is fun and Eno deserves the recognition. Putting him in a castle in Transylvania is cool too.

stinkbutt
02-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I wasn't either, but I don't necessarily think these kids will do it properly the way Eno deserves

thestripe
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Finding him in a cathedral in Transylvania. Sounds proper to me.

Coachella Bound
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I thought MGMT sucked until I saw them live, and after that my opinion of them totally changed.

i defff dont think they suck as a band, i love Oracular to death. How long ago did you see them? im going on about a year and a half now and ive heard the live acts gotten much better, thats why im giving them another shot.

getbetter
02-09-2010, 12:33 PM
One of the times i saw MGMT@WeenieRoast, they just went off singing about burrtios and tacos,and after covering Alice in Chains "rooster".But before that they were great

I bet their new album will be 3.0 to 5.6 from pitchfork.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Wesley Willis had dozens of songs named after artists and bands and he was a genius

w3Q5DPHpw7E
7_fg_D1noOY
a7REGMCIXeg
5m1yqrmMpec

kitt kat
02-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I wish the album was actually titled, "We Can Do Whatever the Hell We Want"

This.

And Captn...do yourself a favor a get a life already. Looking for a two year old picture? That's some BD status right there.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Kitt Kat--totally not a hipster, just changes her mind about bands depending on whether or not they're popular.

Devin the Dude
02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
This band is and always has been terrible. Festival pollution.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
You're pollution you chubby midget fuck.

kitt kat
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Kitt Kat--totally not a hipster, just changes her mind about bands depending on whether or not they're popular.

Heh heh heh...

I did think that album was fucking fun as shit, though. I just got annoyed of hearing "Kids" every single place I went.

...and I'm off to go speculate what "vampire punk" is.

OH SHIT. IT'S A PLOY TO GET TWIHARDS TO BUY THE ALBUM. They really are smart motherfuckers.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I want to choke you to death with your fucking Caps Lock key you brainless goo bucket.

Sexecutioner
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
He's not the kind of bad singer that just makes you want to kill people though, like Liars or Ariel Pink or Billy Corgan. He just has a weak voice. Can't project.

my thoughts exactly. his voice was the only part of their live show that was lacking imo. its like he knows if he belts it out like he should it will sound like shit, so instead he barely sings to hide his voice, which is almost as bad as far as ruining the sound. hopefully the kid has taken some singing lessons since their last tour...

besides that, im looking forward to the new album. they set the bar pretty high with oracular though, so i doubt it will be as good.

humanoid
02-09-2010, 12:55 PM
/\ that's the unfortunate thing for them, Oracular Spectacular was so good that nearly anything they put out will be seen as a disappointment by comparison.

SoulDischarge
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Oracular Spectacular, masterpiece? Come on now, that's absurd, even for Randy. And we get tagged with "hyperbole" for calling Grace Jones legendary.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
That album does not have one bad song. One of the best things I've heard in a long time.

psycobetabuckdown
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
You guys. MGMT, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, etc. all suck now because I'm sick of hearing their popular songs. Whether I actually dislike any of their material is irrelevant, because people request their music too much on radio stations. Since I have a habit of not turning off my radio, I get angry at the bands. So they suck now.

captncrzy
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
This.

And Captn...do yourself a favor a get a life already. Looking for a two year old picture? That's some BD status right there.

If you honestly think that searching for a picture of you that YOU posted trying to prove your hipster coolness actually took up more than 10 seconds of my time and more than .000000000000000000000000000001% of my brain power just to prove you've stuck your foot in your mouth (yet again), you're an idiot.

Mr. Fuzz
02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
you don't have to sing good, you just need to sing loud.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
The difference is that Phoenix and Vampire Weekend sucked the first time.

SoulDischarge
02-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Catchy, poppy, inconsequential fluff that will sound terribly dated in 10 years does not a masterpiece make.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 01:10 PM
All good music is catchy. The Beatles are poppy too. As far as inconsequential, I actually got something out of the album. If you didn't, so be it. You also like some serious crap. But regardless--by my standards if you can actually make an album where every song is good enough to listen to, you made a masterpiece. I don't even think there's a Beatles album where I don't skip a track. I'm a picky motherfucker.

SoulDischarge
02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
It's just one of those words that gets thrown about a bit too easily. Whatever.

psycobetabuckdown
The difference is that Phoenix and Vampire Weekend sucked the first time.

That's not really my point, but I disagree anyway. Both Phoenix's latest and Vampire Weekend's debut are much better than Oracular Spectacular. MGMT has better songs, but it's not consistently good throughout. The other bands in question have consistently good material throughout. I don't like Vampire Weekend's new album though.

Monklish
I don't throw it around so easily. I just throw it around differently than you. I'm sure your masterpieces list is my idea of sheer fucking torture.

stuporfly
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Any band who gives a shout out to Dan Treacy is more than alright with me.

sbessiso
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
The one new song they played at Roo wasnt very memorable but im still interested in the new album, theyve gotten so much better since coachella 08

BlackSwan
02-09-2010, 04:17 PM
How can you have a sophomore slump if your first album sucks?

BlackSwan
02-09-2010, 04:24 PM
But regardless--by my standards if you can actually make an album where every song is good enough to listen to, you made a masterpiece.

If that is your definition of a masterpiece, you have incredibly low standards.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
If that is your definition of a masterpiece, you have incredibly low standards.

It's a hundred times better than Orbital.

BlackSwan
02-09-2010, 04:33 PM
And your response would be clever if I had ever said any of Orbital's albums were masterpieces.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't give a fuck. You can have a pop masterpiece, man.

SoulDischarge
02-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, but they look a little more like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/glenncripes/kinks_something_101b.jpg

wmgaretjax
02-09-2010, 04:41 PM
goddamn this band sucks so fucking much.

shotglass75
02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
The one new song they played at Roo wasnt very memorable but im still interested in the new album, theyve gotten so much better since coachella 08

Dude, is anything really "memorable" at Bonnaroo after taking a bunch of acid and E at 2 in the morning?

sbessiso
02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Dude, is anything really "memorable" at Bonnaroo after taking a bunch of acid and E at 2 in the morning?

You dont know me!

BlackSwan
I don't give a fuck. You can have a pop masterpiece, man.

I agree, but every song on a pop album being "worth listening to" doesn't make it a masterpiece.

Monklish
I'm a curse and i'm a sound,
When I open up my mouth,
There's a reason I don't win,
I don't know how to begin

Monklish
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree, but every song on a pop album being "worth listening to" doesn't make it a masterpiece.

It does as far as I'm concerned, man. I can count the albums I can listen to straight through on one hand.

BlackSwan
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Both Gorillaz albums are 100 times better than the MGMT album.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I can barely feign interest in like 1 out of every 4 Gorillaz tracks.

BlackSwan
02-09-2010, 05:04 PM
That doesn't change the 100% accuracy of my statement.

humanoid
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM

is there a formula for quantifying this? I absolutely love the first Gorillaz album, but find the 2nd to be dreadfully boring...but I really enjoy the MGMT album, I'm so confused

bobert
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Are we really going to have the "subjective nature of musical tastes" argument again? Everyone knows you can quantify musical excellence in platinum albums and Grammies. End of discussion.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
That doesn't change the 100% accuracy of my statement.

The opinions of people who think Orbital is great music are not given much consideration.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Does "Climbing To New Lows" not count as an album?

humanoid
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Are we really going to have the "subjective nature of musical tastes" argument again? Everyone knows you can quantify musical excellence in platinum albums and Grammies. End of discussion.

If Beyonce is not on the album, I'm not interested.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Does "Climbing To New Lows" not count as an album?

I'd consider it an EP although some may not. It still has a couple songs I really dig.

SoulDischarge
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
It could happen. Those motherfuckers seem to be friends with fucking everyone.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
This song = awesome. Should have been on one of the albums. fgW0RaWUS0I

BlackSwan
02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
The opinions of people who think Orbital is great music are not given much consideration.

The inherent contradiction of your response is amusing, but I never said "Orbital is great music," so it is also irrelevant.

Monklish
02-09-2010, 05:39 PM
The inherent contradiction of your response is amusing, but I never said "Orbital is great music," so it is also irrelevant.

So you're saying Orbital is not great music?

WhyTheLongFace
02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I always vibe out to this
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/roOYsICg3v4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/roOYsICg3v4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bballarl
02-09-2010, 09:46 PM
MGMT are so fucking bad. But they tend to draw cute girls wearing facepaint to their shows, and that is attractive in its own strange way. Trade-offs.

Sexecutioner
02-09-2010, 10:22 PM
goddamn this band sucks so fucking much.
i think our tastes in "music" are exact opposites. i have an idea...instead of going off what people like around here to find new music (which has yielded incredibly horrible results) i think i'll start asking what people hate for my recommendations. so jared...what other bands do you hate so i can check them out...

bballarl
02-09-2010, 11:23 PM
You should just ask me for suggestions because I have perfect, impeccable musical taste. On the real.

rage patton
02-10-2010, 12:05 AM
If there is one thing I love about this band, its how not one single person has the same opinion about them. Some people hate them, others love them. Some think the suck live, others think they are brilliant live. Some are a strange mix of both. This thread has been an entertaining read.

alex gardner
02-10-2010, 03:07 AM
If there is one thing I love about this band, its how not one single person has the same opinion about them. Some people hate them, others love them. Some think the suck live, others think they are brilliant live. Some are a strange mix of both. This thread has been an entertaining read.

yeah you could say this about any band dude..

captncrzy
02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
I honestly thought MGMT's album was great; catchy, poppy tunes. I was incredibly disappointed at their live performance. I really hope someone has given them live music lessons since their last outing.

CellarOwl
02-10-2010, 11:40 AM
These guys must have been REALLY fucking HIGH for this album.

Botrocker
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Co sign that!

Monklish
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Don't make me embarrass you guys by making an MGMT vs. Gorillaz poll.

BlackSwan
02-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Don't embarrass yourself by pretending popular opinion is an accurate judge of musical quality or worth.

Monklish
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
In this instance it happens to be accurate. Every once in a while the people are right (see: The Beatles).

Gribbz
02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Poll away.

BlackSwan
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
In this instance it happens to be accurate.

Without a poll there is no instance to speak of.

Monklish
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm not going to because I hate polls, but trust me they'd win. MGMT are the most selected act in the Coachooser this year.

BlackSwan
02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
That doesn't take in account the people who may have added both bands to their Coachooser. Also, just because a bunch of tasteless MGMT fans use the Coachooser, it doesn't mean they use the message board or vote in the polls.

Gribbz
02-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not convinced MGMT would win. At least on these boards.

Monklish
02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Alright fine I'll do it.

Sushov23
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
I will say i'm still shocked that MGMT is billed below Faith No More. Shit makes no sense, MGMT is easily the more popular band on sat between those two.

ThomThom
02-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I will say i'm still shocked that MGMT is billed below Faith No More. Shit makes no sense, MGMT is easily the more popular band on sat between those two.

So does that also mean you are disgusted by the fact that Pavement is billed above Phoenix?

You know what Sushy, don't even answer the question, FUCK IT.

liquidsnake28
02-10-2010, 08:35 PM
He also thinks Joss Stone is more popular than Amy Winehouse.

bballarl
02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
MGMT are so fucking bad and I forgot they were playing Coachella. I thought we were just talking about how lame they are. Sigh.

Sushov23
02-11-2010, 12:49 AM
So does that also mean you are disgusted by the fact that Pavement is billed above Phoenix?

You know what Sushy, don't even answer the question, FUCK IT.

No one is talking quality of music here, i'm just saying that MGMT are more popular than Faith No More right now. No need to get all sensitive about it, man. Obviously you don't agree with me, and let's just leave it at that. Also Pavement>Phoenix, what I'm most excited for on Sunday actually.

Sushov23
02-11-2010, 12:50 AM
He also thinks Joss Stone is more popular than Amy Winehouse.
This is all you get:
7FeIU0IyH0k

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 05:58 AM
That's what I get? Are you trying to deny that you said that?

sarahpalin
02-17-2010, 12:36 PM
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2821/mgmtcover452.jpg

Album cover. Lol these fucking jerks.

Blinken
02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I love it

citizenerased
02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
It's the new Raditude.

thestripe
02-18-2010, 08:08 AM
http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/mgmt/pages/5451837?utm_medium=columbia-email&utm_source=mgmt&utm_campaign=columbia-email|mgmt|20100217

the special edition of the album features a "scratch off front cover with custom metal coin

BlackSwan
02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Luckily, it isn't a scratch-n-sniff 'cause it would smell like shit.

rage patton
02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
As a piece of artwork, I think it is kind of cool. As an album cover, it is really fucking stupid.

humanoid
02-18-2010, 11:18 AM
it looks like artwork from a trapper keeper binder from when I was in junior high

stinkbutt
02-18-2010, 11:21 AM
That album cover is almost like a direct response to this thread.

humanoid
02-18-2010, 11:23 AM
pretty much

faxman75
02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
The posts on this page are all fantastic. Good work guys. Extra points to citizenerased and sarahpalin.

weeklymix
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
MGMT on Congratulations: "a collection of nine individual musical tours de force sequenced to flow with sonic and thematic coherence."

Hate.

sbessiso
02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
It's the new Raditude.

Thats harsh, i havent listened to Raditude but i doubt any of the songs relate to the album cover in any way. Congratulations is supposed to have surfing theme throughout the album, which is clearly evident on the cover. i think its way cool

faxman75
02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Congratulations is supposed to have surfing theme throughout the album, which is clearly evident on the cover.

Jesus christ this sounds fucking terrible. I will see them either at Coachella or Sasquatch but my expections have reached a new all time low. Oracular is such a great album. We'll see how this plays out I guess. Hopefully it leaks soon.

sbessiso
02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
i guess its popular to hate on MGMT right now. Im always behind on the times

rage patton
02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
You hated MGMT when it was popular to love them, and now you love MGMT when it is popular to hate them.

Also, MGMT wouldn't know what "surf" was even if it came and smacked them in the face.

sbessiso
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
well i dont "love" them, but i like them a good amount. I doubt ill see them at coachella though, Roo was perfect.

faxman75
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't understand that logic. You like them. You loved them at Bonnaroo and it was perfect but you won't see them again?

I saw them 3 times in 08' and they were all underwhelming. I loved the album and you can even find a poll I made asking what was better "boxer" or "oracular spectacular". I was in love with that album and in retrospect I feel stupid about creating that poll because Oracular got old quick and Boxer is probably in my top 3 of the last decade. I heard they were really good and play their instruments better at Bonnaroo so I figured I would give them another chance.

weeklymix
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
If they are on main stage before FNM I will be so, so mad.

sbessiso
02-18-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't understand that logic. You like them. You loved them at Bonnaroo and it was perfect but you won't see them again?

whats not to understand? ive seen them many times already, last one being superb so why shouldnt i go and explore whatever else is playing at that time?

I will LOL

faxman75
02-18-2010, 01:07 PM
whats not to understand? ive seen them many times already, last one being superb so why shouldnt i go and explore whatever else is playing at that time?

You absolutley should expore or see whoever you like. If I enjoy myself at a show, I have a hard time passing up a guaranteed good show for exploration. I don't have a problem with it, I was just curious. I tend to do my exploring when bands I know I like aren't playing is all.

rage patton
02-18-2010, 01:13 PM

It is going to happen Zack. Accept it.

sbessiso
02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
and the dead weather before them? that feels weird

stinkbutt
02-18-2010, 01:15 PM
because it's stupid

MGMT are gonna close the Outdoor

weeklymix
02-18-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm going to steal so many hats and unnecessary scarves.

rage patton
02-18-2010, 01:17 PM
because it's stupid

MGMT are gonna close the Outdoor

No way. MGMT will not conflict with Tiesto. Besides, they are far to big to close the outdoor. They will be mainstage garaunteed. Dead Weather will close the outdoor.

sbessiso
02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Dead Weather will close the outdoor.

THIS would make it more SalahChella. Where would Devo go?

faxman75
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm going to steal so many hats and unnecessary scarves.

Don't forget the big stupid sunglasses.

westcoastpirate
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
You can download a song from MGMT's upcoming release from their website for free starting at 8pm ET.

Edit-Download available now.

superfiction
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
its actually on there to download now. its really fuckin weird

Monklish
03-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Dude, if that fucking kid could sing worth half a shit this would be a Bowie song. I'm getting kinda psyched for this album now.

Monklish
03-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Wow. They're fucking psychos, clearly. This is schizophrenic. But it's interesting as all fuck. Love the layering even though it seems to get in the way of cohesion almost constantly. At times it sounds like something huge but then within 20 seconds it's shifted into a completely different genre. What the balls.

superfiction
03-09-2010, 09:03 AM
i dont like them at all. blech

GrossMagic
03-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I could see this being a train wreck live. It is a semi interesting song. Don't really know what to think.

westcoastpirate
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
??? As soon as the song starts getting good they wreck it, then get your hopes up again later to just wreck it again.

Monklish
03-09-2010, 09:16 AM
It's so odd. It's like five different songs and I only like three, but it's fucking interesting.

humanoid
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
It definitely has interesting elements weaving through all the cacophony...but his voice does sound like absolute shit

PotVsKtl
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
There's nothing particularly odd about the song unless you're confused by progression. It's good though.

Monklish
03-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Really? Nothing unusual? Okay.

PotVsKtl
03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
It's a song. It starts out quiet then gets louder. In the interim it introduces a few melodies, then ends by integrating them. It's pretty standard psych.

BlackSwan
03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
It's ok until around the last minute, then it just turns into a mess. And not messy in a cool, loose way... messy in an annoying, throw everything and let it all stick way.

Bosco
03-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Wow. They're fucking psychos, clearly. This is schizophrenic. But it's interesting as all fuck. Love the layering even though it seems to get in the way of cohesion almost constantly. At times it sounds like something huge but then within 20 seconds it's shifted into a completely different genre. What the balls.

But this is what they do best. Handshake and Future Reflections being prime examples from the previous album.

Fuck, this new tune is awesome.

summerkid
03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
After a few listens this song has grown on me, a lot of it reminds me of Roxy Music.

HAMMERHEAD
03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
hmm...not really sure what to make of this song

BlackSwan
03-09-2010, 05:38 PM
You can listen to Congratulations (the song) here: http://rjominn.is/2010/03/09/nytt-mgmt-lag/

shotglass75
03-09-2010, 06:15 PM
It's ok until around the last minute, then it just turns into a mess. And not messy in a cool, loose way... messy in an annoying, throw everything and let it all stick way.

Sorry Grace I think you're wrong.

http://www.clearvisionstudios.net/gallery2/d/6721-2/Ed_Rooney_002a.jpg

http://quixotando.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/ferris-buellers-day-off-1986-grace-edie-mcclurg.jpg

kitt kat
03-09-2010, 06:42 PM
It's.......
.....interesting?

yeahfontaine
03-09-2010, 06:50 PM
You can listen to Congratulations (the song) here: http://rjominn.is/2010/03/09/nytt-mgmt-lag/

Wow. That is downright boring and unimaginative. Yuck.

CellarOwl
03-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Wow. That is downright boring and unimaginative. Yuck.

I would've said that about nearly almost all of Oracular Spectacular. These two songs hint at the duo finding their sound a bit more, and going off REALLY HARD at the same time. Congratulations is a fine song though I can see why people think it's boring, there's a thin line between the laid back psych-pop they're aiming for and simply sounding dull (it's more of the latter), but I still think they sound more interesting now than they did on the first album or any the indie stuff before that. Flash Delirium is outstanding, it's totally nuts.

ShyGuy75
03-11-2010, 07:12 AM
It's.......
.....interesting?

translation...i'm going to wait for this board to tell me what to think about it

thestripe
04-25-2010, 08:06 PM
They were pretty good on SNL last night. They are trying pretty hard for Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. But whatever.

TallGuyCM
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
They were pretty good on SNL last night. They are trying pretty hard for Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. But whatever.

The guitar player on the right's facial expressions made me never want to see the band live again, ever. What a tool, I don't care if it was on purpose for the song or not, that guy's incredibly annoying.

Other than that, "Flash Delirium" was great. But why they'd also play "Brian Eno", the worst song on the new album, is beyond me. And the performance of it wasn't good at all, either.

thestripe
04-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I haven't really given Congratulations a chance but Flash Delirium is infectious. And they weren't terrible on SNL like I thought they'd be. Even with weird faces and Brian Eno.

TallGuyCM
04-26-2010, 02:13 PM
I can see how Andrew's eyes being closed constantly while he sings could factor into the band not being good live, he just stood there motionless through most of the two songs.

sbessiso
04-27-2010, 12:07 AM
i hate to say it but i really enjoyed Flash Delirium on SNL

TallGuyCM
04-27-2010, 12:17 AM
i hate to say it but i really enjoyed Flash Delirium on SNL

Don't hate to say it, I already said it.