PDA

View Full Version : Inviting a date to a Concert

JEllswo311
02-22-2007, 01:50 PM
I am inviting a date to see either Ted Leo and the Pharmacists w/ Love Diagrams either that show or Cold War Kids w/ Tokyo Police club. Which one should I go for taking the date to? I plan on going to both regardless. What is some good advice for taking a date to the show? What is the best date concert you have ever gone to?

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2007, 01:52 PM
the best concert date i went to was the curiosa festival. that was the shit. especially since we were both really into the cure.

is it a first date? a first date at a concert might be a little wierd unless you are both into the group playing.

Hannahrain
02-22-2007, 01:56 PM
EDIT

i moved the dream stuff to its own thread. accidental hijacking, etc.

jackstraw94086
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
i just dreamt I killed a midget toll booth operator.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I had a dream last night but I forget what it was

("what it was! what it was!")

canexplain
02-22-2007, 04:03 PM
in some ways, I think taking a date (for the 1st few anyway) can be one of the worst places to take a lady (a movie is worse) ... the reason ? if you are like me and go to a concert, I want to hear the music and not stupid people chit chatting all the way thru the show ... on a date, you are suppose to talk to your lady, so it is ying and yang to me ... fun times, but not a place to get closer to your gal .. cr**** or if you are getting closer and talking at the concert, shut the fuck up ......*****

kreutz2112
02-22-2007, 04:05 PM
I would go to Cold War Kids...but then again Ted Leo is Pretty suave.

bmack86
02-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Go to Ted Leo. Cold War Kids are boring. That's just me, tho.
I've not really gone on a date to a show, but I take interesting girls with me, just real impromptu like. You gotta make sure they're interested in the band before you go. There's nothing worse than being at a concert where you don't give a shit.

kreutz2112
02-22-2007, 04:35 PM
...and theres nothing worse than being at a concert with someone who doesnt give a shit.

caco0283
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I am inviting a date to see either Ted Leo and the Pharmacists w/ Love Diagrams either that show or Cold War Kids w/ Tokyo Police club.

what kind of date is that??? what do you get to learn about the person besides that they enjoyed the music?? Its like I dont understand taking a date out to the movies.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
The only date I had to a concert went horribly wrong. The guy locked us out of his car, didn't have a ticket, I went in to the show by myself, and he spent the entire concert trying to get the keys out of his car. The concert was for Living Colour.

Courtney
02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I vote Ted Leo, all other things being equal. If you're going to do this, make sure you have drinks/dinner beforehand. And make sure that you're both really into the band.

My best date concert was probably Wilco, at New York City's SummerStage concert series in Central Park, a few years ago. It was so cute he brought a big blanket and we just sat outside and enjoyed the music. Part of what made this work was that it wasn't like some tight, dark club where people were squeezed together or moshing or anything.

But then again, I also had a date take me to The Smell once, which is probably like the least romantic club ever, and the date was great because we were both really into the band. I guess it depends who the person is who you're taking out.

suprefan
02-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Hahaha The Smell!!! I say Cold War Kids, but yeah they need to like the artist/band or else you wont have a really good time. Yes have dinner beforehand or a few drinks and then go to the show. Or get drinks there and have dinner after the show if you guys are night owls and time is not a factor... Hmm best concert date, cant think of one too many to list...

bmack86
02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Tangent, tell me more about the Smell. Looks like I'm going to be there to see Lightning Bolt (I'm crazy about Rhode Island noise!) and I've not yet been. What can I expect?

Courtney
02-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I've never heard of Lightning Bolt. Good, I assume?

The Smell is awesome. It's small, and it's always $5. You can't get any better than that. The bad things are that it doesn't serve alcohol, and there are often a fair number of teenagers because it's all ages, and it's in a very sketchy neighborhood so don't leave anything valuable in your car.

bmack86
02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Lightning Bolt are amazing. I've wanted to see them since I first heard them in '04, but they haven't really toured in quite a while. They're a bass/drum combo, really noisy, and so damn fun. I hear that they refuse to play on stages, and set their gear up in the middle of the crowd.

Courtney
02-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Awesome. I just pulled up Lightning Bolt's myspace and I'm listening.

Also, I forgot to add that The Smell is called that for a reason. Sometimes the ventilation is really bad. Hence the "least romantic club ever" title.

woogie846
02-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Ted Leo is really fun, I'm gonnna go with Ted Leo.

bmack86
02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah, that's what i've heard. I'm listening to my Lightning Bolt collection right now.

shakermaker113
02-22-2007, 09:58 PM
on a date, you are suppose to talk to your lady

there is plenty of time to talk at a concert. how can you forget that huge gap between bands? (twice if there are two openers...) then while the band is playing you both have some entertainment other than yourselves. then afterwards you can talk again, and you have a great conversation starter.

FromTheColonyOfBirchmen
02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Take her to a brutal ass metal show, afterwards you'll know if she's no good or soooooooo good.

DeltaSigChi4
02-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Go to a movie.

Cheaper.

E

bmack86
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
I'd prefer concert, but I'd always want to make sure that she liked the band

matsuolost
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
the worst thing i have ever done is to invite a girl at a concert. and ive made that mistake twice.
the best thing is always go with a couple friends, group or maybe even just one and meet girls there at the venue. its always the coolest

bmack86
02-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Best thing i've done is take a girl to a Pixies concert. It was a great show, and she enjoyed it, so it was a good night overall.

Boourns
02-23-2007, 02:03 AM
I took a girl to see the Pixies. Actually, I took two. The first time was amazing, and while we had only met once before, we did talk a lot online beforehand. The next time was with a girl I met at another concert, and it didn't go horrible, but it didn't go well. Nothing particularly bad or good happened. Guess it just wasn't meant to be. Shame because she was a real cutie.

The girl I'm currently crushing over...met her at a concert, and I've met up with her at a few other since, but I'd like to go to one where it's just us. I asked if she wanted to see Do Make Say Think in a couple weeks but she can't. Sigh.

bmack86
02-23-2007, 02:13 AM
moral of the story; Pixies can be matchmakers, but not always

JEllswo311
02-23-2007, 06:08 AM
It probably won't just be the concert I plan on going to a bar beforehand and I don't lock my keys in the car since I have remote key entry doors. It's at the 930 club. I don't like talking in dating as much as I like doing stuff with someone I am dating maybe that's why I decided on a concert and I just wanted someone else to go with. My date likes both bands. Thank you for the comments, they were all helpful.

Cheers

sonofhal
02-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I met my wife at a Raveonettes gig. Just so you know!

Took one girl to see The Sugacubes, and she looked really confused by the whole thing. Wasn't to be.

Courtney
02-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I met my wife at a Raveonettes gig. Just so you know!

Took one girl to see The Sugacubes, and she looked really confused by the whole thing. Wasn't to be.

Hehee. Yes, a concert is a good weeding out strategy.

mozabilly54
02-23-2007, 08:47 AM
this thread was in my dream last night...weird!

kroqken
04-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Instead of bringing a date to Coachella, I will try to meet someone there, but my odds are not looking so hot right now. Depression sucks.

betao
04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
It probably won't just be the concert I plan on going to a bar beforehand and I don't lock my keys in the car since I have remote key entry doors. It's at the 930 club. I don't like talking in dating as much as I like doing stuff with someone I am dating maybe that's why I decided on a concert and I just wanted someone else to go with. My date likes both bands. Thank you for the comments, they were all helpful.

Cheers

The 930 Club is a really cool venue! I live in Richmond VA, so thats where most of the concerts i'm interested in are. I saw Thievery Corporation there back in December, and am seeing LCD Soundsystem there in May.

yea off topic, just thought i'd share. Didnt know anyone lived in that area.