PDA

View Full Version : More to be added

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 07:47 AM
There are only about 107 bands there, and on average there are about 80 or so bands a day at Coachella....do the math.

What the hell happened to The Police and QOTSA? Would they really have the presale password "roxanne" if they weren't coming?

I'm really hoping for more here, frankly because, I hate to say it, there is a lot of crap. Not to say there aren't a lot of great bands coming, but Nickel Creek? Damian Rice? Regina? Kings of Leon? Did the promoters of Lilith Fair or NME take part in this?

delibot3029
01-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Nickel Creek is playing Stagecoach the following weekend.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 07:55 AM
There are only about 107 bands there, and on average there are about 80 or so bands a day at Coachella....do the math.

What the hell happened to The Police and QOTSA? Would they really have the presale password "roxanne" if they weren't coming?

I'm really hoping for more here, frankly because, I hate to say it, there is a lot of crap. Not to say there aren't a lot of great bands coming, but Nickel Creek? Damian Rice? Regina? Kings of Leon? Did the promoters of Lilith Fair or NME take part in this?

over and over again they've said the roxanne thing was a joke...

are you fucking tarded... regina spektor happens to be one of the best female solo musicians, possibly ever.

pewter14
01-22-2007, 07:56 AM
as posted in another thread, I beleive the organizers were thinking of going to a more spread out schedule ... less overlaps and conflicts ... and we don't know when each day starts ...

this could be 98% done ... but who knows.

scoop49er
01-22-2007, 07:57 AM
i think we will see 120 bands total. so they will add probalby 10-20 more during the next couple of months. it leaves room for a surprise. we shall see

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 08:24 AM
over and over again they've said the roxanne thing was a joke...

are you fucking tarded... regina spektor happens to be one of the best female solo musicians, possibly ever.

Am I "fucking 'tarded"? No. No I'm not. I also didn't say Regina was a terrible artist, neither is Damian Rice, but they are a bit light rock for Coachella. I wouldn't go so far as to say she is one of the best solo musicians ever. That is a gross overstatement.

york707
01-22-2007, 08:37 AM
but they are a bit light rock for Coachella.

Apparently you haven't paid much attention to teh lineups over the past four years.

starrdogg
01-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Whoa whoa, Coachella's never had 80 bands a day, it's usually somewhere between 40 and 50. I'm with scoop49er in thinking that it'll be around 120, maybe upwards of 130. Pitchfork kinda confirmed this suspicion by dubbing what has been released thus far as the "preliminary" lineup. The Police? Smashing Pumpkins? Not gonna happen. But I could see bands as big as Modest Mouse or QOTSA still get announced. And I don't think we've heard the last of the Gwen Stefani chatter. Remember, Kanye, Daft Punk and Madonna were all added later last year.

amyzzz
01-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Saturday so far looks really weak to me. I hope they add some more to Saturday--or I need to get into more of those bands.

boyalien0
01-22-2007, 10:26 AM
all i need is for them to add Man Man and then i am one happy camper.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
man man would be cool. I'd like to see Subtle or the Liars added in. And while I'm dreaming. The Knife would be awesome.

but mostly, I'd love to see the liars.

soupbandit
01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
there is a seriously lack of an upper tier sunset performance for saturday (hint hint: portishead please)

amyzzz
01-22-2007, 10:34 AM
there is a seriously lack of an upper tier sunset performance for saturday (hint hint: portishead please)

agreed, wholeheartedly.

york707
01-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm liking Friday the mostest.

NoneForMeThanks
01-22-2007, 10:41 AM

Yeah...i'm a little confused by the Decemberists being on the second line...I'm assuming more will come. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention and don't realize how popular they are.

Yablonowitz
01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Is this our first whiner? Welcome whiner? Enjoy your flogging.

Last year had James Blunt...Damien Rice and Regina Spektor dust that crapo honkey's ass any day.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2007, 10:55 AM
the decemberists are pretty huge. not too big on them, but they put on a damn good show. I'm more surprised about the Arctic Monkeys on the second line, am I the only person that thinks they are rehashed garbage?

scottierock
01-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I think we'll see a few more 'big' acts named... Daft Punk, Massive Attack, Kanye West, Madonna all got added in March of last year. DP and MA's sets were a great addition to the lineup... hopefully we can get a few more added in the next couple months. I just hope no Smashing Pumpkins. THE WORST live band I've ever seen, and the only band I've ever walked out on after 3 songs. Billy Corgan just plain sucks ass live. :sorry

drugstorecowgirl
01-22-2007, 11:32 AM

my life would be complete if Portishead played this years Coachella.

The Knife, The Faint and Muse wouldn't be so bad either.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
ry.
I think we'll see a few more 'big' acts named... Daft Punk, Massive Attack, Kanye West, Madonna all got added in March of last year. DP and MA's sets were a great addition to the lineup... hopefully we can get a few more added in the next couple months. I just hope no Smashing Pumpkins. THE WORST live band I've ever seen, and the only band I've ever walked out on after 3 songs. Billy Corgan just plain sucks ass live. :sorry

how can you judge a whole performance from three songs?

you must have caught them on a bad night because every time i've seen them they were beyond stellar. i've been to hundreds of rock shows, and the pumpkins are very very high on the list. billy corgan is an excellent live musician, even with zwan he was beyond impressive.

they will not be playing, so don't worry about it.

sithlord
01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
As of this morning, my sources are STILL telling me that the POLICE is a go.

They've not worked out Coachella details as an ABSOLUTE, but the band IS reuniting, and Coachella is on the table as an option.

Fire away, naysayers.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2007, 11:53 AM
i say nay.

amdux
01-22-2007, 11:53 AM
doves still need to be added, to make up for last year

that and juliana hatfield has a new album she needs to support with a performance

Jenniehoo
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Shut up or I'll make you eat your parents.

blastyourears
01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
man man would be cool. I'd like to see Subtle or the Liars added in. And while I'm dreaming. The Knife would be awesome.

THE LIARS WOULD BE RADDD!

tessalasset
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Damien Rice will be one of the best live acts you see that weekend, just FYI. GV he needs a sunset slot!!!

Peabs42177
01-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Pretty sure that was 2005 when they canceled. Either way, I'd love Doves to be there as well.

mongrel cat
01-22-2007, 12:08 PM

YES

sighlent
01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
the knife is all that i really want added, after seeing them in LA and SF i really feel a need to see them again.

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Shut up or I'll make you eat your parents.

:rotfl I am NOT Scott Tenneman.

P.S. I posted this thread after KROQ announced some of the lineup earlier....then the Jesus and Mary Chain happened.

But seriously, why the James Blunts and Howie Days every year? Who goes to these sets?
I know Damian and Regina are better, but at 105 degrees I don't want to hear "he breaks my hea-a-ar-ar-ar-ar-art".....maybe in an air conditioned theater with seats. Unless they play in the evening...I'd rather hear acts not played on the local radio station "now on shuffle"

pinguinotonto
01-22-2007, 02:37 PM
a big electronica act like: Underworld, Aphex Twin, or Boards of Canada,.. and Portishead needs to be there as well.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm still going with the Knife as a necessary eletronic music addition.

C DUB YA
01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
ry.

you must have caught them on a bad night because every time i've seen them they were beyond stellar. i've been to hundreds of rock shows, and the pumpkins are very very high on the list. billy corgan is an excellent live musician, even with zwan he was beyond impressive.

I have seen them a few times and they are TERRIBLE LIVE, he's a good musician but his voice is one of the all time worst! Done and done!

C DUB YA
01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
a big electronica act like: Underworld, Aphex Twin, or Boards of Canada,.. and Portishead needs to be there as well.

Either UW or Aphex and I'd call it a day!

pinguinotonto
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Trance is ok for a festival in MIAMI, but this is Coachella, people want more civilized electronica.

triceratopp
01-22-2007, 02:46 PM
saturday looks like by far the strongest day for me...but none of us can judge that since everyone is into different music..

feed them to lions
01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Wise words from a dinosaur.

bleep
01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I saw Asobi Seksu open for the Wrens and they were OK, but I am not getting the mad love this board has for them. Help me, what am I not getting?

I would love to see an awesome "headlining" act added just to shut up all the haters and divert attention from the fact RHCP are playing. I am stoked with the smaller bands, but if there's room I wouldn't mind me some Thermals & Talkdemonic.

josephv909
01-22-2007, 02:55 PM
if it stays like this, then each day will only be an 8 hour day vs the previous 12 hour days. i hope they add more acts to the bill.

crazzz2007
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
if it stays like this, then each day will only be an 8 hour day vs the previous 12 hour days. i hope they add more acts to the bill.

i disagree. more acts will mean shorter sets, more conflicts, and a lot more running around the polo field.

if they keep it to under 40 acts per day, the whole experience will be that much better. in previous years, i often had to chose between different acts, or between an act and going to the restroom to piss so that my bladder wouldn't explode. not to mention wasting a good half hour just to go get a beer and some food. if everything is spaced out more, the entire experience will be less stressful. pacing is the key.

SometimesNJ
01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
definitely the Knife..they deserve an invite to Coachella after the year they've had

ciaoq
01-22-2007, 03:11 PM
cornelius is easily the best electronica artist on the bill

boyalien0
01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
i second thermals and talkdemonic. GV, do as we bid ye.

scottierock
01-22-2007, 03:15 PM
ry.

Thank god and praise Allah. He is tone deaf.

krunchy
01-22-2007, 03:25 PM
The large surge of people rushing to see rage against the machine amongst the already absolutely huge lineup will make this festival sell out in record time. This will cause the promoters to get apathetic, and there will probably be very little activity on the lineup from there.

I hope I'm wrong, but rage will draw people from all parts of the world, not just the country!

scienceFRAUD
01-22-2007, 03:37 PM
The Knife, The Faint and Muse wouldn't be so bad either.

Muse SHOULD be on the line up... night 3 please! The Faint would also be awesome - just saw them recently and they ROCKED.

Boourns
01-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Every Pulp fan on this continent is going to have to come see Jarvis Cocker. Who knows when he'll play America again. 9 more years? Never?

ficklecycle
01-22-2007, 03:39 PM
all i need is for them to add Man Man and then i am one happy camper.

That'd be perfect.

MyWenis
01-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Kings of Leon will rock your soul

I_am_138
01-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I agree with the poster. There aren't nearly enough acts...good acts. Normally I like 15 out of the 90 bands playing each day. I like a total of 5 bands that aren't headliners out of all three days this year. Bjork is the only headliner I really even care about though. I saw her when she played last time so I'm not that thrilled. Portishead would be an AMAZING addition.

TheInfiniteSadness
01-22-2007, 03:55 PM

thank god someone said it.

ghettojournalist
01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
nickel creek been there before, right?
fiona apple should be there instead of regina.
a lot worse than damien rice have been there.
kings of leon are rocking.

AEversW
01-22-2007, 04:34 PM
:rotfl I am NOT Scott Tenneman.

P.S. I posted this thread after KROQ announced some of the lineup earlier....then the Jesus and Mary Chain happened.

But seriously, why the James Blunts and Howie Days every year? Who goes to these sets?
I know Damian and Regina are better, but at 105 degrees I don't want to hear "he breaks my hea-a-ar-ar-ar-ar-art".....maybe in an air conditioned theater with seats. Unless they play in the evening...I'd rather hear acts not played on the local radio station "now on shuffle"

heres an idea...if you dont like the band dont watch them....ahhhh OMG! thats such a far fetched idea.

RockStr4Life
01-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Portishead and Aphex Twin should add to headline Sahara.

Meglomaniax2025
01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm still going with the Knife as a necessary eletronic music addition.
i agree

microcuts
01-22-2007, 05:58 PM
the Knife would be the best late addition ever.

SES3948
01-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I WANT THE POLICE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

idrive1life
01-22-2007, 06:38 PM
The Police
Muse
The Knife
The Smashing Pumpkins
R.E.M.
Underworld
Aphex Twin
Modest Mouse
Daft Punk
Portishead
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Smiths

additions will make Coachella contender for best of '07 festival! (Glastonbury rocks!!!)

Come on, GV! Try harder! :D

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
heres an idea...if you dont like the band dont watch them....ahhhh OMG! thats such a far fetched idea.

Oh my god really? You're are so brilliant. That is not the point! This will be my 3rd Coachella and, maybe this is because my first year was the best lineup in the history of any festival ever (2004) that everything else seems sub par, but c'mon now. This reads like the front cover of NME. Usually I have at least 10 bands a day to run around to see, and this year I barely have 3 on Sunday (and that's counting Rage, who I don't particularly care for, but will see out of rarity). There aren't enough bands per day. The magic of Coachella is that you get a mous bouche of a ton of great acts, maybe settling down for an entire helping by nightfall.

I'm not saying the whole thing sucks, but I'm a bit surprised they went for Travis and Kaiser Chiefs instead of Man Man, Knife or Beirut. Sunset Rubdown or Thermals or Annuals. ANYTHING more cutting edge that Nickel Creek.

And, Kings of Leon will rock me allright.....into a coma.

microcuts
01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Nickel Creek = this year's James Blunt

suprefan
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Whoa whoa, Coachella's never had 80 bands a day, it's usually somewhere between 40 and 50. I'm with scoop49er in thinking that it'll be around 120, maybe upwards of 130. Pitchfork kinda confirmed this suspicion by dubbing what has been released thus far as the "preliminary" lineup. The Police? Smashing Pumpkins? Not gonna happen. But I could see bands as big as Modest Mouse or QOTSA still get announced. And I don't think we've heard the last of the Gwen Stefani chatter. Remember, Kanye, Daft Punk and Madonna were all added later last year.

Gwen is out of the picture, she is playing in L.A. on April 27th at Gibson Amp. then arizona the next day. We are safe...........

Nickel Creek = this year's James Blunt

The Feeling could be that also since they are light Brit pop..

tuffy
01-22-2007, 09:48 PM
"...I'm not saying the whole thing sucks, but I'm a bit surprised they went for Travis and Kaiser Chiefs instead of Man Man, Knife or Beirut..."

YES!! ALL three bands i searched for when i saw the poster. alas.

i like the reunions and all, but i usually end up loving the new bands.
i expected more swedes.

braundiggity
01-22-2007, 09:51 PM
There aren't nearly enough acts...good acts. Normally I like 15 out of the 90 bands playing each day. I like a total of 5 bands that aren't headliners out of all three days this year.

To me, that just means you don't know enough of the other artists. Maybe you do, in which case you must have very limited taste, and I'm sorry. There are over 40 acts I'm excited for this year. More than the last two years combined. And I haven't even started listening to the 40+ I've never heard.

likeaclown
01-22-2007, 09:53 PM

Seconded. They owe us. :-)

suprefan
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I say more acts, more conflicts. Suck it up. It's worth it for the better view and better experience at each set.

I say add a few more acts and there will be enough to keep everyone busy, but in the end we will know where everyone is going though.. I am all for somoe more set time. My idea of 40 a day seems to be panning out. Day 1 is getting more additions for sure..

braundiggity
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
more acts will mean shorter sets, more conflicts, and a lot more running around the polo field.

Whereas fewer acts will mean more people at each set. Remember Madonna, when they didn't schedule anything else at the same time? I was there way early, and still couldn't see anything.

Bonnaroo does this, where they don't schedule conflicts for the big acts, they leave them unconflicted. Consequently, 70,000 people are all pushing to see the same show, even though half of them would probably rather be somewhere else.

I say more acts, more conflicts. Suck it up. It's worth it for the better view and better experience at each set.

soupbandit
01-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Whereas fewer acts will mean more people at each set. Remember Madonna, when they didn't schedule anything else at the same time? I was there way early, and still couldn't see anything.

Bonnaroo does this, where they don't schedule conflicts for the big acts, they leave them unconflicted. Consequently, 70,000 people are all pushing to see the same show, even though half of them would probably rather be somewhere else.

Mogwai played against Madonna. And it was the second best set of the weekend.

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 10:00 PM

HAHA as if you'd have to choose! No contest. I didn't go last year but there is no way in hell I'd see that crotchety disco bitch.

That's just it! Less acts means I'm forced to see Red Hot Chili Peppers.....and if I have to sit through tone deaf anthony kedis ONE more festival...

suprefan
01-22-2007, 10:01 PM
HAHA as if you'd have to choose! No contest. I didn't go last year but there is no way in hell I'd see that crotchety disco bitch.

Nice spelling Gina, hahahha. I saw the crotchety woman cause I had to because of the company I was keeping... They knew I wasnt liking it but I did it anyway...

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 10:02 PM
You were excited about Madonna and you know it!

suprefan
01-22-2007, 10:05 PM
You were excited about Madonna and you know it!

No I wasnt, but I dealt with it...... At least I saw Massive Attack right after.. And Daft Punk the night before!!! : P!!

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Chris....that was just plain mean. :sorry

cashew
01-22-2007, 10:08 PM
i want the liarssssssssss

suprefan
01-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Chris....that was just plain mean. :sorry

Sorry Gina, you know I luv ya but its tough love sometimes..

dizfactor
01-22-2007, 10:09 PM
That's just it! Less acts means I'm forced to see Red Hot Chili Peppers.....and if I have to sit through tone deaf anthony kedis ONE more festival...

If the only act playing was RHCP, I would take that opportunity to get to the car and get out early.

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 10:11 PM

I second that! Where the hell are all these bands!? It's like Goldenvoice forgot about 2006.....even though they had a festival that year. No Liars? No Hold Steady (not that I like them, but a lot of people did), no Knife, no Joanna Newsom....

Boourns
01-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Asobi Seksu and Islands had well-reviewed albums in 2006 and have never played, AND are great bands, so they totally should be added.

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow I just suddenly remembered how much I miss those cajun turkey sausages I live off of every year. RHCP means early sausage eating, so maybe it's not such a bad thing.

Friday night is amazing though, too bad it's the first night.

erikness
01-22-2007, 10:24 PM
BEIRUT!

That's the only addition I'm really campaigning for...

And I agree, as happy with the lineup as I am, GV kind of forgot about 2006. I guess they'll have all of the 2006 buzz bands play in 2008. Weird.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2007, 11:01 PM

DITTO

algunz
03-15-2007, 01:11 PM
How 'bout Royksopp?

PassiveTheory
03-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Red Paintings
Dredg
Muse
Dresden Dolls

Would make me a happy boy.

Meadowsmeister
03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
I met tricky last week
He said he'll be playing.
No joke
outside urth cafe on melrose and something or other.

vogina
03-15-2007, 01:37 PM
miss kittin would be cool

SubBass49
03-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I hope Meadows is right...that'd be dope

CherokeeMel
03-16-2007, 01:35 AM
What about BRMC.. they'll be touring with The Fratellis directly after, plus theyre releasing their new album may 1st.. and their calender is open.. also they should be on the west coast.. Is this just wishful thinking?

windscreen
03-16-2007, 04:00 AM

So did Editors and put on an incredible!!!! show.
Had the pleasure of talking to Tom when they toured afterwards and i mentioned Coachella and his eyes got big and he said, "that night was amazing" they expected to hit the stage to noone being that Madonna was slated at the same time and came out to a full tent and blew it away! OOOOHHHH chills from past coachella experiences.

tricky
03-17-2007, 10:39 AM

word.

hangthedj112
03-17-2007, 10:48 AM
So did Editors and put on an incredible!!!! show.
Had the pleasure of talking to Tom when they toured afterwards and i mentioned Coachella and his eyes got big and he said, "that night was amazing" they expected to hit the stage to noone being that Madonna was slated at the same time and came out to a full tent and blew it away! OOOOHHHH chills from past coachella experiences.

I don't get how people enjoy the Editors. I mean he goes as far as to rip off Ian Curtis' epilepsy, what a cunt.

wmgaretjax
03-17-2007, 11:00 AM
word.

double word.

MakeItSantoriTimes
03-17-2007, 12:09 PM
fuckin relax about the additions already... there are so many great acts playing that its already painful as it is knowing that you will only see half at most.

depechemodekraftwerk
03-17-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree ,they need more bands,upper tier.

rage patton
03-17-2007, 06:55 PM

Yes please!!!

I just want to see the space beside Arcade Fire filled up, dont know by who... dont really care. I just want to see it filled up. And also another big act added Friday. Im thinking Modest Mouse... but Im hoping Tom Waits, Primus or The Mars Volta.

boyalien0
03-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Less acts on Friday, a day when the Indio noise ordinance doesn't kick in until midnight, is utterly insane if the gates open at noon.

lustforlife222
03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
BRING CALVIN HARRIS TO COACHELLA!

rasooli
03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
whats up with these RANDOM ass bumps today....this is like the third or fourth one....

im so indie
03-04-2010, 12:19 AM
whats up with these RANDOM ass bumps today....this is like the third or fourth one....

srsly

however i did just read through this old thread. funny that not one single add that all these people were crying for actually happened.

StubbADubb
03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/03/04/soundgarden-to-reissue-their-first-single-on-record-store-day/

What are the odds of Soundgarden playing Coachella on the 17th now? Would be pretty fitting...

daftmonkey64
03-04-2010, 03:32 PM
fuck soundgarden