PDA

View Full Version : arctic monkeys

Firezilla1
02-06-2010, 11:35 PM
i wanna see them get added. i know they played in 2007 and their album wasn't that great but still they shouldn't be left out.

also, mos def would be a great add.

pachucasunrise
02-06-2010, 11:36 PM
http://georgetownheckler.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/meh.jpg

juloxx
02-06-2010, 11:47 PM
gayest band-name ever

Mammoth85
02-07-2010, 12:20 AM
i wanna see them get added. i know they played in 2007 and their album wasn't that great but still they shouldn't be left out.

also, mos def would be a great add.

What do you mean the album wasn't that great? Kicked just as much ass as "Whatever People...". Caught them on tour for Humbug at the Palladium, excellent show. Would love to see them added but not a probability.

As for Mos Def, I believe he's on several songs on Gorillaz new record and perhaps he might make an appearance.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
02-07-2010, 12:21 AM
GOOD GOD
HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO FUCKING READ?!

we have a fucking forum for your crappy pointless threads about who you want to see added
USE THAT FUCKING FORUM

are all of you that dumb that you cant read?

I swear to god im going to cackslap a bitch.

heart cooks brain
02-07-2010, 01:08 AM
http://georgetownheckler.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/meh.jpg

This from the guy who wants to see Vampire Weekend and Coheed and Cambria...you stay classy

EverGreen407
02-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Their albums are Amazing and they should totally be at Coachella this year. They were so awesome at the Hollywood Palladium!!!

Firezilla1
02-07-2010, 08:24 AM
What do you mean the album wasn't that great? Kicked just as much ass as "Whatever People...". Caught them on tour for Humbug at the Palladium, excellent show. Would love to see them added but not a probability.

As for Mos Def, I believe he's on several songs on Gorillaz new record and perhaps he might make an appearance.

i was at that show too and i hated all the humbug songs cept for crying lightning and dangerous animals.

EddieF
02-07-2010, 01:40 PM
They've gone downhill live so much. Trust me guys, if you want to remember the good times don't try and see them again. New album is atrocious as well

FoxeyLady
02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Humbug was such an awesome record. I love AM but I've seen them like 4 times so I could take em or leave em at this point.

EddieF
02-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Humbug is one of the worst album I heard last year, was so dissapointing. Atleast they play 505 live now though <3

Mammoth85
02-07-2010, 07:20 PM
How can you say they've gone downhill? Because they're trying new things and expanding their sound? And you enjoyed hearing 505 but hate Humbug? 505 is a total precursor to the type of direction Humbug moves toward.

I think AM are bold for daring to mellow their sound in an age where fans loathe a band for changing style. The new mood works for them and sounds awesome. Humbug is definitely a step in the right direction.

EddieF
02-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Because 505 was a beautiful emotion driven song and Humbug is just the record of a guy who discovered drugs and thought he could go psychadelic. It wasn't a bad idea but it was poorly executed. It's not heavy enough, there aren't enough instruments involved, the songs go nowhere and he sounds like he's not arsed. Plus, I can't tell you how bad they were headlining Leeds/Reading this year

FoxeyLady
02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
A couple reasons why I loved Humbug:

"Secret Door" has a really cool song structure goes Chorus/Verse/Bridge/Verse/Bridge/Chorus ...I mean who does that?

That's why I love this album, AM did a lot to reinvent themselves in terms of songrwiting on this record as well as change their sound, unlike many other bands who simply recycle what worked for them the first time around.

wWqULKjg7Y8

Also, this song has epic drumming, and of course, wicked lyricism:
0pnvD2Zx7y8

mickflyy
02-07-2010, 08:37 PM
bleh

The Coach
02-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Other than Bowie, AM tops my list of who i would want to see at Coachella. Their new sound is good but the old stuff is legendary.

Mos Def will be there imo. They wont add him to the poster because i dont think he will have his own stage time, but will come onstage multiple times....Gorillaz, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, maybe De La Soul. Now if he and Talib were to come out for a little Black Star, oh shit.

pachucasunrise
02-07-2010, 09:52 PM
This from the guy who wants to see Vampire Weekend and Coheed and Cambria...you stay classy

Hey...

...shut up.

williamsj16
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Humbug is great album!!! Would love to see them live!

Mammoth85
02-08-2010, 12:58 AM
A couple reasons why I loved Humbug:

"Secret Door" has a really cool song structure goes Chorus/Verse/Bridge/Verse/Bridge/Chorus ...I mean who does that?

That's why I love this album, AM did a lot to reinvent themselves in terms of songrwiting on this record as well as change their sound, unlike many other bands who simply recycle what worked for them the first time around.

wWqULKjg7Y8

Also, this song has epic drumming, and of course, wicked lyricism:
0pnvD2Zx7y8

You obviously understand.

AshleighDeLong
02-08-2010, 01:27 AM
I would die to see them.
End of story. Hate it or love it I could care less. They are awesome.

EddieF
02-08-2010, 03:17 AM
They've just announced a US tour for April

sbessiso
02-08-2010, 03:25 AM
YES!!!

3 FL SHOWS

EddieF
02-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Finishing in Arizona the day before Coachella. Got to be playing?
Are there normally late announcements?

sbessiso
02-08-2010, 04:19 AM
I think the chances of them getting added are higher than they were before

EddieF
02-08-2010, 06:05 AM
They'd have to be atleast 90% since they're playing about as close as you can the day before!

FoxeyLady
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow, looks like they'll be added to Friday. Them Crooked Vultures into Arctic Monkeys would be pretty cool, with Josh Homme producing their album and all.

Mammoth85
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but it looks like a huge possibility right now. If they got added, I think my level of satisfaction would be enormous.

psycobetabuckdown
02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Wow, looks like they'll be added to Friday. Them Crooked Vultures into Arctic Monkeys would be pretty cool, with Josh Homme producing their album and all.

boo. DO NOT WANT. Unless they play outdoor theater during LCD, which I wouldn't mind.

FoxeyLady
02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't really care. I'd only see them if there was nothing else going on. But I have a feeling there will be plenty to see on friday.

Coachella Bound
02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
And their touring w/ Sleepy Sun!!!!!

COACHELLA PLEASE!!!!!!

Lineup pool isnt over yet, thats a possible two more points!

psycobetabuckdown
02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
If anything they should be added to Saturday

idrive1life
02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
fucking yes! orlando and most likely coachella (oops dont have tix/not sure if I can go yet) ... great and fun (live) band

cknaz
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
i would be down with an arctic monkeys and sleepy sun add

C DUB YA
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM

The 3rd record is NOT EVEN IN THE SAME BALLPARK as the first two. Not even close.

Fact.

Carolina
02-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Ghey! as if they haven't toured the US enough. I personally hope they don't get added there are other more deserving bands that should be added.

Mammoth85
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
The 3rd record is NOT EVEN IN THE SAME BALLPARK as the first two. Not even close.

Fact.

^^^Opinion.

3rd record is awesome. End of.

EddieF
02-09-2010, 02:14 AM
It's rubbish.

FoxeyLady
02-09-2010, 02:29 AM
What came first, the chicken or the dickhead?

EddieF
02-09-2010, 05:51 AM
That's definately the highlight of the album, which says a lot

sbessiso
02-09-2010, 05:52 AM
:rolleyes

Humbug is awesome

Johnnydont
02-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Love Humbug. Love the Arctic Monkeys. This would be a huge add for me. This is the first band that made me realize that music im going to be listening to is going to be made by punk kids younger than me. That was a tough pill to swallow.

ReaganSMASH
02-09-2010, 08:52 AM
I didn't enjoy humbug as much as the first two, but I still love the band. A late add would be sick!

RoughSteez
02-09-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm surprised so many people were turned off by there 3rd album. Honestly it took me a couple listens, but eventually I realized how awesome the entire album was. Alex is a very clever lyricist.

Their show back in September at the Palladium was awesome, so much energy and it was a pretty rowdy crowd. That's the only time I had seen them so I don't have much to compare it to, but I thought they killed it.

With all that being said, their other 2 albums are better, with "Whatever People Say.." being my favorite. Wish I would have seen them when they toured for those.

Probably won't catch them at Coachella if added though, better suited at a venue in my opinion.

What came first, the chicken or the dickhead?

Haha the first lyrics that really caught my attention on Humbug. Good shit.

C DUB YA
02-09-2010, 09:23 AM
They were good on the main stage in 07

Coachella Bound
02-09-2010, 10:08 AM
said it before and ill say it again.... Arctic Monkeys are the reason i finaly went to COACHELLA. There performance in 07 was amazing, went and saw them later again that year at the Palladium.

Humbug does not compare to Favourite or Whatever People Say, but it was a step in a new direction and i have to respect that. Some of the tracks on there are easily some of my new favorites (Secret Door, Crying Lightning)..... been praying for a late add, looks like i might be getting them answered.

Mammoth85
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm surprised so many people were turned off by there 3rd album. Honestly it took me a couple listens, but eventually I realized how awesome the entire album was. Alex is a very clever lyricist.

Their show back in September at the Palladium was awesome, so much energy and it was a pretty rowdy crowd. That's the only time I had seen them so I don't have much to compare it to, but I thought they killed it.

With all that being said, their other 2 albums are better, with "Whatever People Say.." being my favorite. Wish I would have seen them when they toured for those.

Totally agree. Except I wouldn't say the other 2 are necessarily better. In fact I wouldn't really compare any of their records as being better to any other. I think they're all masterworks.

Lots of people just get upset when a band changes their sound, even slightly.

D A N G E R O U S A N I M A L

RoughSteez
02-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Fair enough.

I welcome the change.

Good album; dope live show; can't complain.

Coachella Bound
02-09-2010, 03:04 PM
so this just about confirms it...... ahhh!!! I so excited!!!!!

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2010/02/more_coachella_scraps_-_arctic.php

thanks for the link A.S.....

Leeartlee
02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Hmmm, ok then. Odd backwards way of confirming a band

The Coach
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
ya these rumor semi-confirmations are killin me!!! No blame to CoachellaBound, because i like reading the blog posts, but holy shit the suspense of seeing AM on the poster for Friday early evening or any time Saturday is brutal. CMON COACHELLA!

ArcticMuse
02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
so this just about confirms it...... ahhh!!! I so excited!!!!!

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2010/02/more_coachella_scraps_-_arctic.php

thanks for the link A.S.....

ya that "A.S." person is a genious and YES THEY WILL play coachella. this tour is too random. they miss coachella hehe

Coachella Bound
02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
COACHELLA will make it work, some one said earlier that the vast majority of everyone there this year will be there all three days because of no single day tix, making it not such a big deal if people get moved around. I expect we'll see some name shifts once they make some more official announcements.

But regardless, id take AM up against alot of people fri night. And i doubt theyll be against TCV

Leeartlee
02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
But regardless, id take AM up against alot of people fri night.

Ditto

ArcticMuse
02-09-2010, 03:37 PM
COACHELLA will make it work, some one said earlier that the vast majority of everyone there this year will be there all three days because of no single day tix, making it not such a big deal if people get moved around. I expect we'll see some name shifts once they make some more official announcements.

But regardless, id take AM up against alot of people fri night. And i doubt theyll be against TCV

doubt friday coachellabound. AND WHO IS THIS A.S. person>>? they are so amazing to have given u that link

Coachella Bound
02-09-2010, 03:39 PM
suck a dick you freak!

Leeartlee
02-09-2010, 03:42 PM
lulz

FoxeyLady
02-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I doubt theyll be against TCV

It would be pretty much impossible considering both will play the main stage. I'm guessing if Arctic Monkeys are on Friday it will be TCV --> AM on the main before LCD and Jay-Z.

Edit: Actually would Arctic Monkeys play after LCD? I don't know which one is bigger in the states

EddieF
02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
In the UK they'd headline above the rest on the Friday easily, but obvs it's different over yonder

TheModernAge
02-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Anyone who thinks Humbug was crap in comparison to their first two attempts doesn't know shit about music.

I'm fine with if you like the first two better, but to say it's a crappier album is stupid.

You have to give it a few goes.

The lyrics are better. The music is better. It's simple fact.

Whereas Whatever and FVN had mainly one dimension songs ( same ol' guitars and drums ), Humbug brought in crazy delay effects that ( when stoned ) could make you feel as if you were 2 feet small, driving into the stormy desert, with dark omnious clouds approaching you.

Sorry, it's a really good album that can trip you the fuck out.

ArcticMuse
02-10-2010, 02:16 PM
suck a dick you freak!

peace and love foo:afu
you should give credit to who you get ur info from

ARCTICMONKEYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ArcticMuse
02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Anyone who thinks Humbug was crap in comparison to their first two attempts doesn't know shit about music.

I'm fine with if you like the first two better, but to say it's a crappier album is stupid.

The lyrics are better. The music is better. It's simple fact.

Whereas Whatever and FVN had mainly one dimension songs ( same ol' guitars and drums ), Humbug brought in crazy delay effects that ( when stoned ) could make you feel as if you were 2 feet small, driving into the stormy desert, with dark omnious clouds approaching you.

i couldnt agree more. you have to give Humbug more than once listen, it grows on you. and yeah they dont have their original sound like from whatever people say i am.. but theyre developing new unique sounds. I saw them at the Hollywood Palladium some months ago. they KILLED IT. new & old songs & b sides they played my dream setlist almost. if they play this years coachella its gonna be WAY better than 07. they were really hot and tired and the crowd wasnt too into it...

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 02:27 PM

The lyrics are better. The music is better. It's simple fact. Whereas Whatever and FVN had mainly one dimension songs ( same ol' guitars and drums ), Humbug brought in crazy delay effects that ( when stoned ) could make you feel as if you were 2 feet small, driving into the stormy desert, with dark omnious clouds approaching you.

There's a reason for a load of people not liking as much. it's not bad, Just not as good.

There is no fact here, only opinion, and it's not stupid to have an opinion on a record. So here's one...

Humbug's production isn't as good my friend. If those are better songs, they wallow in that. All those effects you talk about only get in the way of some decent tunes. Your dedication to getting stoned and having that as Humbug's selling point, proves me right on this. Maybe try listening to it without any drugs, hell, because with the right drugs in you, Celine Dion can sound like Sgt Fucking Pepper.

"I don't need to to be tripping to know a record is not up to snuff" - You wanna know who said that? See below.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/2575012936_91231238b8_b.jpg

Cherita Chen
02-10-2010, 03:02 PM
oil up those sticky keys

Pat24
02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Humbug's production isn't as good my friend.

It may not be good with how most good albums are produced, but overall it's effective. The flatness of drums and guitars makes a good desert feel, 'Crying Lightning' for instance. The layering in the 'The Jeweller's Hands' though is quite amazing.

Mr. Fuzz
02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I like the album but I'm stoned all the time.

sbessiso
02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
They did NOT play this song last summer in Chicago. I will absolutely die if I hear it at any one of my shows...

2A2XBoxtcUA

FoxeyLady
02-10-2010, 06:23 PM
They played it at Coachella in '07^... 'twas awesome.

Pat24
02-10-2010, 10:04 PM
In an interview they said they wouldn't play Teddy Picker, Fakes Tales, Mardy Bum and pretty much 80% of the first album live anymore.

Mammoth85
02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah, Alex said something about that being an adolescent era that has ended for him and that he doesn't want to play those types of songs anymore. Makes me sad cause I'd love to hear Mardy Bum, Fake Tales, etc.

That said, the set I saw at the Palladium was phenomenal. I was actually really amazed by their power and energy, and the crowd was completely at their knees. A Coachella has to happen.

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 03:41 AM
In an interview they said they wouldn't play Teddy Picker, Fakes Tales, Mardy Bum and pretty much 80% of the first album live anymore.

But why Teddy Picker?? Thats from FWN

EddieF
02-11-2010, 03:48 AM

Excuse me?
I know a fucking lot about music thankyou and listen to bloody tons of the stuff. I listened to it about 10 times all the way through, just because it was them. The lyrics are NOT better and the music is very similar in the build up but more textured but it doesn't go anywhere. After 2 tracks I thought I was gunna love it but Dangerous Animals is one of the worst songs ever recorded IMO and after that there isn't much else there.
They're awful live now, like seriously. You'll see at Coa hopefully. Turner's convinced himself he's this big hard rock star and even drops his guitar for certain songs and holds just a mic but he's so drugged up he can't bring himself to move around the stage and looks more awkward than any front man I've ever seen. They headlined Leeds/Reading this year, Leeds is their home festival and they were headlining for the first time and yet only played a handful of their first album tracks which remembering how iconic that album is in the UK was not popular (though personally I wasn't fussed as they played 505 and the better 2nd album stuff, it was more the performance that was poor)
I don't think the album was a bad idea or bad direction, I just think it was poorly produced. It wasn't loud or riffy enough and a lot of it was based around Homme's grooving style which sounds watered down when quiet. I trust that they'll produce good music again a couple of albums down the line. This was a much needed transitional period for them. They need to learn more about their instruments and themselves and develop their live show. I'm confident they will, but Humbug was a really poor effort

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 03:58 AM
Dangerous Animals is one of the worst songs ever recorded IMO

This is where I stopped listening

EddieF
02-11-2010, 08:39 AM
But why Teddy Picker?? Thats from FWN

It's their lowest charting single in the UK, not sure if that's why. It's a pity as it's a tune

Coachella Bound
02-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Excuse me?
I know a fucking lot about music thankyou and listen to bloody tons of the stuff. I listened to it about 10 times all the way through, just because it was them. The lyrics are NOT better and the music is very similar in the build up but more textured but it doesn't go anywhere. After 2 tracks I thought I was gunna love it but Dangerous Animals is one of the worst songs ever recorded IMO and after that there isn't much else there.
They're awful live now, like seriously. You'll see at Coa hopefully. Turner's convinced himself he's this big hard rock star and even drops his guitar for certain songs and holds just a mic but he's so drugged up he can't bring himself to move around the stage and looks more awkward than any front man I've ever seen. They headlined Leeds/Reading this year, Leeds is their home festival and they were headlining for the first time and yet only played a handful of their first album tracks which remembering how iconic that album is in the UK was not popular (though personally I wasn't fussed as they played 505 and the better 2nd album stuff, it was more the performance that was poor)
I don't think the album was a bad idea or bad direction, I just think it was poorly produced. It wasn't loud or riffy enough and a lot of it was based around Homme's grooving style which sounds watered down when quiet. I trust that they'll produce good music again a couple of albums down the line. This was a much needed transitional period for them. They need to learn more about their instruments and themselves and develop their live show. I'm confident they will, but Humbug was a really poor effort

6 days ago....

V3kY80ayXRg

i get what your saying, kind of... but the sounds still amazing and they still play tighter than alot of bands out there. I think your scenario brings you a case of the jitters. Poor little Alex, at such a young age, might have got a little overwhelmed at the magnitude of playing Leeds/Reading.... theyre rockstars, shit happens. Dont take it personal.....

I will agree w/ you about the Josh Homme part, it wasnt a good idea for them. They could have created those songs on their own and they would have sounded better. Not only was the relationship bad for the sound but i think it might have affected their personalities a little bit too....

listen to it again, Dangerous Animals is terrible, im tired of him spelling out shit, but the next track is easily my favorite on the album (Secret Door), (Cornerstone) is also quite good. The rest of the tracks seem like filler, you can tell they knew what singles to go after. (Fire and Thuds) pretty good too.

Mr. Fuzz
02-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Dude, why does this thread keep getting bumped? Give me some west coast tour dates already.

FoxeyLady
02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't know how anyone can say the lyricism on HUmbug is bad. Pretty visitors has some of my favorite AM lyrics ever, brilliant song.

BobbyJoe
02-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Secret Door is so damn good live:

H6v-y1gRafM

ArcticMuse
02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah, Alex said something about that being an adolescent era that has ended for him and that he doesn't want to play those types of songs anymore. Makes me sad cause I'd love to hear Mardy Bum, Fake Tales, etc.

That said, the set I saw at the Palladium was phenomenal. I was actually really amazed by their power and energy, and the crowd was completely at their knees. A Coachella has to happen.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/xAsaLx/IMG_0160.jpg

the palladium setlist.. its crumbled but whatever i fought for it.. they didnt play a lot from WPSIATWIN but it was still amazing, im glad they played view from the afternoon. i think alex wants a more "mature" sound. each album has their own thing but id love to hear fake tales, certain romance, ritz to rubble...
i think theyll play something simillar to this at coachella.

PotVsKtl
02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Terrible band.

caco0283
02-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Your face is terrible....WHAT NOW

PotVsKtl
02-11-2010, 03:27 PM
I'll cut your face open with a roofing shingle.

caco0283
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Kneegro, I'm latin. I know my way around a roof so watch yo self...***** WHT

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
im tired of him spelling out shit

D is for Delightful
And try and keep your trousers on

Mammoth85
02-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Dangerous Animals is one of the worst songs ever recorded

Too true.

One of the best tunes.

Coachella Bound
02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Terrible band.

why no love for the Monkeys???

The Coach
02-11-2010, 06:20 PM
pft

PotVsKtl
02-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Served.

Aurgasm
02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Terrible band.
Agreed.

jamesc2929
02-14-2010, 05:07 AM
I wish they would just decide on them or not. How about if Goldenvoice provides lists of bands that they are working on, and a one of bands they will not be booking based on the rumors. And how are Neon Indian and Warpaint on the BONNAROO rumor list? These seem perfect for Coachella.

Garaputo
02-14-2010, 11:20 AM
"Dangerous Animals" is in constant rotation as a Friday night pre-party primer...puts you in the proper state for fate.

sbessiso
02-14-2010, 11:35 AM
pinned down by the daaaark

FoxeyLady
02-14-2010, 12:09 PM
All the pretty visitors came and waved their arms and cast the shadow of a snake pit on the wall...

Behold as the crook in the hammock plays,
Crawling with the base of the scales,
And fiddles with the feet on a balancing act,
Gagged, bound and craft in a tale,
Trailing wrapped in a gasp

EddieF
02-15-2010, 02:59 AM
"Dangerous Animals" is in constant rotation as a Friday night pre-party primer...puts you in the proper state for fate.
Maybe it's an American thing, I don't know a single Brit that likes it

mickflyy
02-15-2010, 03:31 AM
1 are not playing
2 suck my balls

Mammoth85
02-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Dangerous Animals is sooooooo tasty. This whole record tastes like a perfect new york strip.

sbessiso
02-15-2010, 09:00 AM
APRIL 1ST/2ND CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH!!!

yeah im excited for coachella but these shows have taken over temporarily. ive been listening to FWN about twice a day now

Coachella Bound
02-15-2010, 09:28 AM
APRIL 1ST/2ND CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH!!!

yeah im excited for coachella but these shows have taken over temporarily. ive been listening to FWN about twice a day now

the whole idea of them playing this year has sturred up some interesting arguments/conversations..... but its deff got me listening to their older stuff all over again. FWN, and the single they released before that album, "Leave Before the Lights Come One"...... and the video!

uHZGZxp-MyI

the official video, disabled by request :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEukS2YN9B8

EddieF
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
They never play Leave Before The Lights now. I saw it though woop. FWN is amazing

Pat24
02-15-2010, 05:40 PM
well they just added a Las Vegas show on Friday the 16th. still hoping for a saturday add and not sunday, too many conflicts as it is.

TheModernAge
02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Excuse me?

hahahah the lyrics are not better? Okay, compare their best lyrical songs, in terms of DICTION, not song content, NOTHING can compete with songs like Pretty Visitors, Dance Little Liar, Fire and the Thud, Cornerstone, and My Propeller. It's just fact.

The music isn't similar at all you fool! Listen to Dance Little Liar and Fire and the Thud, they slowly build into epic sounding songs ( like 505 ), unlike shit like Balaclava and View From the Afternoon which was pure standard Brit Rock.

I saw them at the Palladium, and they rocked it.

And yes, Alex comes off as a cocky bastard, but that's because he has reason to be. He's a fucking genius.

You say it wasn't loud or riffy enough? Well sorry they didn't cater to your musical preferences, why don't you write them a letter, I'm sure they'll do that for you. The production wasn't bad at all. You probably aren't a real fan and decided to pirate a shitty mp3 version of it. If you bought the CD/LP you'll hear that everything works amazingly well.

You want riffs? Go listen to fucking Panic at the Disco.

TheModernAge
02-15-2010, 06:11 PM
There's a reason for a load of people not liking as much. it's not bad, Just not as good.

There is no fact here, only opinion, and it's not stupid to have an opinion on a record. So here's one...

Humbug's production isn't as good my friend. If those are better songs, they wallow in that. All those effects you talk about only get in the way of some decent tunes. Your dedication to getting stoned and having that as Humbug's selling point, proves me right on this. Maybe try listening to it without any drugs, hell, because with the right drugs in you, Celine Dion can sound like Sgt Fucking Pepper.

"I don't need to to be tripping to know a record is not up to snuff" - You wanna know who said that? See below.

Everyone likes the first two better? That's funny, the reviews are roughly the same.

Okay, do this. Find your best musical playing device, sound system, car whatever, and go listen to all three of the Arctic Monkeys albums. Then come back and tell me that the production is worse. It's simply not. Just because Josh Homme produced it doesn't mean it's shittier. If you listen to it, the guitars, bass, drums all of that is produced to almost perfection.

All those effects get in the way of decent tunes? Are you fucking kidding me right now? Do you know what you're talking about? Those same effects (delay) is used on the better songs from FWN ( Only Ones Who Know, 505 )All those effects MADE those tunes. Listen to the old Fire and the Thud, it's crap in comparison to the album version.

Whereas the first two albums were standard one dimensional Strokes-y songs, this new album broke new ground.

And, as a matter of fact, I listen to it quite a bit without drugs. It's still better than the first two albums.

And I'd like you to cite that quote, because right now, it seems like you just made it up. And even if he did say that, I doubt he's saying it about Humbug.

EddieF
02-15-2010, 06:22 PM
The reviews are the same!? Eve Arctic Monkey bumming NME only gave it a 7. The first got a 10 and the second a 9. I think the old lyrics are more suited to British teens in their young 20s. It related to us brilliantly and I can see why you wouldn't like them as much. As for the riffy thing. I think it's more that they're trying to be riffy and Homme-like but don't do it very well. I ain't talking about changing the notes, just playing them louder and rocking rather than trying to. You probably hail it as some psychadelic masterpiece but I'm fairly sure they just wanted to make riffy rock music and ended up going that way

sbessiso
02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Humbug has some great tunes and theyre even better live, but id be lying if i said i thought it was perfect. theres definitely something lacking but i dont really mind it, i welcome their new sound and general interest in trying out new things be it getting a producer like Josh and recording out in the desert.

that being said, Favourite Worst Nightmare is their masterpiece. i listen to the album on repeat

PotVsKtl
02-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Delete.

Mammoth85
02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Delete.

Yourself.

TheModernAge
02-16-2010, 11:31 PM
The reviews are the same!? Eve Arctic Monkey bumming NME only gave it a 7. The first got a 10 and the second a 9. I think the old lyrics are more suited to British teens in their young 20s. It related to us brilliantly and I can see why you wouldn't like them as much. As for the riffy thing. I think it's more that they're trying to be riffy and Homme-like but don't do it very well. I ain't talking about changing the notes, just playing them louder and rocking rather than trying to. You probably hail it as some psychadelic masterpiece but I'm fairly sure they just wanted to make riffy rock music and ended up going that way

Metacritic ( compiles all the reviews ) gave Whatever an 82, FVN, an 82 and Humbug a 75. HOWEVER, the user reviews for Whatever was a 7.1, FVN 8.0 and Humbug an 8.3. So, clearly, the reviews don't say Humbug was worse.

Read what you just said: " British TEENS in their young 20s " I believe when one enters their 20s they become adults. That's beside the point though, I actually related to the lyrics quite well...when I was a Freshman in HIGH SCHOOL. You know, going out, talking to girls, drinking with the boys, disliking cliques, and essentially having a good time.

I really don't understand what you're saying about the riffs thing. Are you saying they should've played louder and rocked out more? If so, then how do you expect the band to ever get better if they stuck to their same old sound? And you can't say Pretty Visitors doesn't rock your balls off.

You can't say they wanted this album to be riffy - you're not in the band.

I, for one, am glad they moved their sound from same ol' riffy stuff. Sure, Dancing Shoes and When the Sun Goes down were awesome, but they're going the same way as the Beatles, in that they're trying to ditch that pop-y sound and create innovative MUSIC.

I don't think it's a psychaedelic MASTERPIECE, but it's definitely one of the better contemporary trippier albums.

Have you ever heard a song like Jeweller's Hands? I mean, that song alone makes the album great.

sleepybrew
02-17-2010, 12:01 AM
fuck all the AM talk. i just want their opening act added. unfortunately it's not going to happen

EddieF
02-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Metacritic ( compiles all the reviews ) gave Whatever an 82, FVN, an 82 and Humbug a 75. HOWEVER, the user reviews for Whatever was a 7.1, FVN 8.0 and Humbug an 8.3. So, clearly, the reviews don't say Humbug was worse.

Read what you just said: " British TEENS in their young 20s " I believe when one enters their 20s they become adults. That's beside the point though, I actually related to the lyrics quite well...when I was a Freshman in HIGH SCHOOL. You know, going out, talking to girls, drinking with the boys, disliking cliques, and essentially having a good time.

I really don't understand what you're saying about the riffs thing. Are you saying they should've played louder and rocked out more? If so, then how do you expect the band to ever get better if they stuck to their same old sound? And you can't say Pretty Visitors doesn't rock your balls off.

You can't say they wanted this album to be riffy - you're not in the band.

I, for one, am glad they moved their sound from same ol' riffy stuff. Sure, Dancing Shoes and When the Sun Goes down were awesome, but they're going the same way as the Beatles, in that they're trying to ditch that pop-y sound and create innovative MUSIC.

I don't think it's a psychaedelic MASTERPIECE, but it's definitely one of the better contemporary trippier albums.

Have you ever heard a song like Jeweller's Hands? I mean, that song alone makes the album great.

I read an interview where they said they went for a heavier sound. I don't think it's heavier than FWN at all. Jeweller's Hands is alright, but it doesn't hold it's own against A Certain Romance or 505 IMO

Coachella Bound
02-17-2010, 07:35 AM
fuck all the AM talk. i just want their opening act added. unfortunately it's not going to happen

sleepy.... im sure uve never seen this unless u were there, if i remember correctly he said it was the first time performing it live....

at about 1:28 she unloads!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=59250655

TheModernAge
02-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd understand if you don't think it holds its own against 505/A Certain Romance, those songs have a certain poignancy to them.

But I definitely think the album is much much heavier. The heaviest song on FWN was what, Do Me a Favour? Brianstorm?

On Humbug you have Pretty Visitor, Crying Lightning, My Propeller, Potion Approaching, Dance Little Liar

Mammoth85
02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
But I definitely think the album is much much heavier. The heaviest song on FWN was what, Do Me a Favour? Brianstorm?

On Humbug you have Pretty Visitor, Crying Lightning, My Propeller, Potion Approaching, Dance Little Liar

Do Me a Favor? for sure.

Humbug kind of echos that theme.

sbessiso
02-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I pray to Allah that they I can hear "D is for Dangerous", "Old Yellow Bricks", "Tiddy Picker" and that they keep "This House is a Circus" on the setlist.

Flame away but I can do without Florescent Adolescent

MuseRadio
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm still anxiously awaiting a Coachella add for them. Would be sooooo happy if that happened!

sleepybrew
02-17-2010, 06:05 PM
sleepy.... im sure uve never seen this unless u were there, if i remember correctly he said it was the first time performing it live....

at about 1:28 she unloads!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=59250655

i couldn't get the video to play. but i was at that show. what specific part are you refering to? also, look out for their new album in late april/early may. should be a good one :)

TheModernAge
02-17-2010, 06:36 PM
I pray to Allah that they I can hear "D is for Dangerous", "Old Yellow Bricks", "Tiddy Picker" and that they keep "This House is a Circus" on the setlist.

Flame away but I can do without Florescent Adolescent

They'll prob play House and Teddy Picker for sure

Coachella Bound
02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
i couldn't get the video to play. but i was at that show. what specific part are you refering to? also, look out for their new album in late april/early may. should be a good one :)

oh well, i was refering to the part where she just all of a sudden breaks out in this incredible solo... it was beautifull. I had seen them a few months back at my friends warehouse party and they didnt do that song.

I honestly see both of them being among the wave of additions....

sleepybrew
02-18-2010, 05:38 PM
i'd be happy with that. but one of the band members and i go way back and he said they didn't make it onto the coachella bill this year. he made it seem like that was a final decision. nevertheless, i'd be stoked to see them play. i think they proved at treasure island they can be an early act that upstages many of the higher billed acts

MuseRadio
02-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Man, I really hope they do play.

ArcticMuse
03-03-2010, 03:53 PM
recent gig update
4/15 -Arizona
4/16- Las Vegas
4/21- Mexico City, MX
4/22- GDL, MX

theyre announcing new gigs daily.
they cant skip so cal unless they r gonna play coachella.. its called a US tour..

amyzzz
03-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Wait for it....

Mr. Dylanja
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Saturday needed something...

sbessiso
03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
fuck yes add them. 3 AM shows in a month? YES PLZ

magmazing
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
The fact that this thread is still in the lineup section and hasn't been moved to the rumors section all this time is odd.

Mammoth85
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Hasn't been moved cause we know they're gonna be on the line-up.

Or we reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hope so. It'll be bad luck to move it.

Leeartlee
03-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Or PF doesn't give a fuck, take your pick

MassiveChemicalPunk
03-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I think she doesn't give a fuck.

But this would be a cherry on the top of the lineup.

Leeartlee
03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
What is that new avatar of?

sbessiso
03-04-2010, 01:20 PM
either way im seeing this band in less than a month

YEEHAAWWWW CANT WAIT

sbessiso
11-26-2010, 08:57 AM
so our boys are confirmed for Benicassim Festival next year, and they're apparently working on album #4 for a 2011 release......

Coachella??? Bonnaroo??? MORE US TOUR?!?!?

jamesc2929
11-28-2010, 08:41 AM
so our boys are confirmed for Benicassim Festival next year, and they're apparently working on album #4 for a 2011 release......

Didn't they play 30 minutes from Coachella on the last night? If hey weren't there last year forget it.

ng123
12-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Because 505 was a beautiful emotion driven song and Humbug is just the record of a guy who discovered drugs and thought he could go psychadelic. It wasn't a bad idea but it was poorly executed. It's not heavy enough, there aren't enough instruments involved, the songs go nowhere and he sounds like he's not arsed. Plus, I can't tell you how bad they were headlining Leeds/Reading this year

I LOVE YOU

ng123
12-10-2010, 03:07 PM
they used to be nice cool guys but they've gotten full of themselves..they've turned into such rocker douches..they turned into typical stoner rockers...they always tried to be like the strokes..people said alex was was a better lyricist than julian but they can suck it..julian and the strokes are the best..no one can be like them...so suck on THAT!

ArcticMuse
12-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Arctic Monkeys would be a sick addition.. but would the album be out in time for Coachella.. lets hope so

But def hoping for a U.S. tour after their next album release

ng123
12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Didn't they play 30 minutes from Coachella on the last night? If hey weren't there last year forget it.

some hick place called pioneertown

sbessiso
12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43118&highlight=arctic

libertine
12-19-2010, 07:09 AM
they still are very cool guys, not 'rocker douches' as is someone said, saw alex turner in a pub last sat watching miles kane, very nice young man . very talented too. they look a lot cooler now, they have grown up, still young men tearing shit up

ArcticMuse
01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
NME article released today on Arctic Monkeys 4th album
http://www.nme.com/news/arctic-monkeys/54514

"Arctic Monkeys have started work on their fourth album with producer James Ford - and are hoping to release it later this year...
Alex Turner and co are reportedly hoping to release the album in late spring at the earliest."

Mammoth85
01-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Seriously? That seems way to close to the Humbug release. But I'd welcome it. I'm not counting on them being at Coachella though.

maixxx
01-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I wanted them to play last year so I'm still hoping they perform this year.

patriotsftbll786
01-16-2011, 02:55 AM
NME article released today on Arctic Monkeys 4th album
http://www.nme.com/news/arctic-monkeys/54514

"Arctic Monkeys have started work on their fourth album with producer James Ford - and are hoping to release it later this year...
Alex Turner and co are reportedly hoping to release the album in late spring at the earliest."

GAH. this bump gave me a jolt.
the letdown isn't too bad though, new album sounds good right about now.

C DUB YA
01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
i was at that show too and i hated all the humbug songs cept for crying lightning and dangerous animals.

THIS

Pat24
01-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Someone should really move this thread, it's misleading. I know I'm posting, sorry, but I just wanted to reply to this post...

hahahah the lyrics are not better? Okay, compare their best lyrical songs, in terms of DICTION, not song content, NOTHING can compete with songs like Pretty Visitors, Dance Little Liar, Fire and the Thud, Cornerstone, and My Propeller. It's just fact.

Late reply, I know. But anyways, I think this is a subject I never see commented upon when it comes to Alex's lyrics, diction. His choice of words phonetically sound good. Something he aims for quite a lot, too. It's really interesting to me. He can be extremely wordy, too, but it's probably because it sounds really good to sing, "Nettles" for example. His words for "Potion Approaching", "Dance Little Liar", "The Jeweller's Hands", and "Don't Forget Whose Legs You're On" are probably my favorite vocals for the 'Humbug' era. So I think he took an interesting approach lyrics wise for 'Humbug.'

Look and speak these lyrics from a song called "Sandtrap":

and the shardes of past attraction lie visible
but shy and blunt and weak and worn away
by whining in the emery paper voice you use to speak

Let's put the content of the lyrics aside for now, but these words just feel and sound good off the tip of the tongue, yeah? I think so anyways. The way he puts the words into a great melody, too, gets to me every time....

Starts @ 0:53. Sorry about it being a live video, it's an unreleased song.
wSS4Rkk1cPk

And pretty much every syllable in this one, sounds good phonetically...
B4K0ptNPXlM

He's got a laugh like a crackling wire.

But yeah, anyways, carry on....

sbessiso
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I get really sad when people dont post in my arctic monkeys thread :(

bluemamba
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Dont worry, Salah. Maybe they'll play this year at the desert.

Pat24
01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I get really sad when people dont post in my arctic monkeys thread :(

Me too, Salah! I would have posted this in there, but there were a couple of interesting things going on in here that I wanted to reply on. But lets hope this thread gets the boys in the desert.

Mammoth85
01-18-2011, 08:52 PM
I love you're Arctic Monkeys thread. It's the best!