PDA

View Full Version : The hipster represents the end of Western civilization

bdfsh
02-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Im sipping a scummy pint of cloudy beer in the back of a trendy dive bar turned nightclub in the heart of the citys heroin district. In front of me stand a gang of hippiesh grunge-punk types, who crowd around each other and collectively scoff at the smoking laws by sneaking puffs of "fuck-you," reveling in their perceived rebellion as the haggard, staggering staff look on without the slightest concern.

The "DJ" is keystroking a selection of MP3s off his MacBook, making a mix that sounds like he took a hatchet to a collection of yesteryear billboard hits, from DMX to Dolly Parton, but mashed up with a jittery techno backbeat.

"So this is a hipster party?" I ask the girl sitting next to me. Shes wearing big dangling earrings, an American Apparel V-neck tee, non-prescription eyeglasses and an inappropriately warm wool coat.

"Yeah, just look around you, 99 percent of the people here are total hipsters!"

"Are you a hipster?"

"Fuck no," she says, laughing back the last of her glass before she hops off to the dance floor.

Ever since the Allies bombed the Axis into submission, Western civilization has had a succession of counter-culture movements that have energetically challenged the status quo. Each successive decade of the post-war era has seen it smash social standards, riot and fight to revolutionize every aspect of music, art, government and civil society.

But after punk was plasticized and hip hop lost its impetus for social change, all of the formerly dominant streams of "counter-culture" have merged together. Now, one mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior has come to define the generally indefinable idea of the "Hipster."

An artificial appropriation of different styles from different eras, the hipster represents the end of Western civilization a culture lost in the superficiality of its past and unable to create any new meaning. Not only is it unsustainable, it is suicidal. While previous youth movements have challenged the dysfunction and decadence of their elders, today we have the "hipster" a youth subculture that mirrors the doomed shallowness of mainstream society.

full article here...https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

vinylmartyr
02-04-2010, 02:57 PM
SDT's?

Sleepingrock
02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Randy is useful?? I like it

bdfsh
02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
i am no fucking randy.
looks can be deceiving.

MissingPerson
02-04-2010, 03:02 PM

"Are you a hipster?"

"Fuck no," she says, laughing back the last of her glass before she hops off to the dance floor.

Writing an article that does exactly this though, that's somehow different and better.

wmgaretjax
02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
this is adbusters proclamation that they really aren't hipsters. really guys. they aren't.

ballroomdancer22
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
old article...

bdfsh
02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
yeah its old might as well forget it was ever written...
on the same note, its new to me, i just read it.

just thought some people here might be interested in this, considering the overwhelming amount of mindless drones that attend the festival..

greghead
02-04-2010, 03:36 PM
read Dick Hebdige. Or better yet, Pierre Bourdieu.

Stop clogging the board, thanks.

Mickjagger00
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Im sipping a scummy pint of cloudy beer in the back of a trendy dive bar turned nightclub in the heart of the citys heroin district. In front of me stand a gang of hippiesh grunge-punk types, who crowd around each other and collectively scoff at the smoking laws by sneaking puffs of "fuck-you," reveling in their perceived rebellion as the haggard, staggering staff look on without the slightest concern.

The "DJ" is keystroking a selection of MP3s off his MacBook, making a mix that sounds like he took a hatchet to a collection of yesteryear billboard hits, from DMX to Dolly Parton, but mashed up with a jittery techno backbeat.

"So this is a hipster party?" I ask the girl sitting next to me. Shes wearing big dangling earrings, an American Apparel V-neck tee, non-prescription eyeglasses and an inappropriately warm wool coat.

"Are you a hipster?"

Ever since the Allies bombed the Axis into submission, Western civilization has had a succession of counter-culture movements that have energetically challenged the status quo. Each successive decade of the post-war era has seen it smash social standards, riot and fight to revolutionize every aspect of music, art, government and civil society.

But after punk was plasticized and hip hop lost its impetus for social change, all of the formerly dominant streams of "counter-culture" have merged together. Now, one mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior has come to define the generally indefinable idea of the "Hipster."

An artificial appropriation of different styles from different eras, the hipster represents the end of Western civilization a culture lost in the superficiality of its past and unable to create any new meaning. Not only is it unsustainable, it is suicidal. While previous youth movements have challenged the dysfunction and decadence of their elders, today we have the "hipster" a youth subculture that mirrors the doomed shallowness of mainstream society.

full article here...https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

IF you HATE hipsters so why go to their clubs ect?

zajaa
the user comments are more valuable than the article. some of the better points:

- the state of affairs described has long been the case. there were wealthy inauthentic punks, beats, hippies, b-boys/girls, etc.

- each parent generation makes a similar fuss about 'kids-these-days'.

- the article relies entirely on gross generalizations.

- the author offers no solution to the underlying problem (poorly identified and articulated in the article) of widespread apathy among youth with regard to societal problems, hence unwillingness to rally behind an identifiable political agenda.

- author complains that hipsters do not identify themselves as such but categorizing oneself with any vague term, whether it's 'punk' or 'bboy' or 'hipster', is ridiculous for obvious reasons.

- in a postmodern, globalized society unlike any era before, a blending of subcultures into one bland/neutered hodgepodge is the simple reality. hipsters did not cause this, but they respond to it. author's stubborn resistance to macro-scale societal evolution is misguided at best, delusional at worst. addressing today's reality with this faux-purist 1960s revolutionary attitude will not work - the critique must adapt to the present environment.

- many/most of the people reading adbusters regularly and subscribing to their phony anti-establishment mantra would fit the article's concept of a hipster.

TomAz
First sign of a mindless drone: claiming everyone else is a mindless drone.

amyzzz
02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I will beat people who smoke indoors over the head with severed limbs.

boarderwoozel3
02-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I love the 'so-and-so is the end of Western Culture' shpeal. Idiot.

It will die off once it becomes too exploited, as if it hasn't already, and people like this author will have something new to bitch about. Although he did have a good point about the cool-hunters who are going to turn around and sell these hipsters the irreverence that defines their scene ala Urban Outfitters and American Apparel. Heck, been into a Nordstrom lately? It looks like a chic Urban Outfitters.

sbessiso
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I love this

The dance floor at a hipster party looks like it should be surrounded by quotation marks.

jackstraw94086
02-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Writing an article that does exactly this though, that's somehow different and better.

dude, do not knock metahipsterism. It can be a laugh.

jackstraw94086
02-04-2010, 04:30 PM
First sign of a mindless drone: claiming everyone else is a mindless drone.

refer to my last post. Don't spoil the party.

brando4n82
02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
While you make a few decent points Randy, I think more blame should be focused on E!, Vh1, and MTV

The reality shows that they put out (and people ACTUALY WATCH...REGULARY) are just absolutely horrible for the brains diet.

Watching these stations at any time is Reclining in a La-Z Boy popping castor beans and washinging it down with horse piss, in a glass, chilled, with ice cubes.

J~$$$$
02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Randy is a hipster queef.

getbetter
02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
that's not randy

J~$$$$
02-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Getbetter is the new vaginal flatulance.

brando4n82
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
that's not randy

LOL. wow I didnt even both to look at the name, I just saw that stupid face.

Don't worry, I love your stupid face Randall.

Bud Luster
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
sucks, I liked original formula vagina flatulence so much better.

hangthedj112
02-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I love how this piece is written by adbusters, not as if their demographic isn't of a certain v-neck wearing persuasion....

sbessiso
02-05-2010, 02:35 AM
http://www.grooveeffect.com/stream/images/evolution%20of%20hipster.jpg

MissingPerson
02-05-2010, 03:15 AM
I'd hang out with that girl. She has lots of fun, and I support her hat and scooter choices.

mountmccabe
02-05-2010, 05:37 AM
She and I probably had a bit of a falling out as her boots phase continued. Neither pair is great but the second one is just embarrassing.

I wouldn't wanna hang out with the dude any more starting around then either; I'd be worrying that his facial hair was going to fall off and that he'd just leave it there.

MissingPerson
02-05-2010, 06:07 AM
See, I think by 2007 we'd have a solid bedrock of good times between us that would let me see past the carefully cutesy stance n' boots.

Me and that guy would never have been friends though, not ever.

rskapcat
02-05-2010, 06:42 AM
I have an irrational amount of hate for the string headbands.

TomAz
02-05-2010, 06:45 AM
I am pretty sure I have seen all those people at Coachella.

juloxx
02-05-2010, 07:35 AM
That picture is jokes.

Western culture was doomed when Soulja Boy became a hit.

BlackSwan
02-05-2010, 07:47 AM
None of those hipsters look anything like me.

mountmccabe
02-05-2010, 09:19 AM
The closest for me would be 2004 and 2006; none of the others are even in the ballpark, I'd say.

See, I think by 2007 we'd have a solid bedrock of good times between us that would let me see past the carefully cutesy stance n' boots.

OK, fine, it's more likely that things would've gotten awkward circa 2003-2005 and if anything happened it'd be over quickly and me ragging on her boots is really just bitterness/sour grapes.

But, really, I think I'm justified anyway. I am a fan of good boots but gah, those'ren't good boots.

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I love that orange dress. And the furry hat reminds me a couple hipstresses right here on the coachella message board.

zajaa
02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
when the meaning of the word is reduced to "trendy dresser" it really loses its bite

TomAz
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM
it had bite to lose?

zajaa
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
the word is supposed to carry this heavy pejorative quality, but the photo on the previous page really seems to be illustrating trendy clothing styles from the last decade. if that's "hipster" then what's so bad

michaelmontanez
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
good thing I have a 10 speed, fixed gear bikes are teh suck

bmack86
02-05-2010, 10:22 AM
I'd love to say the hipsters stole my facial hair ideas, but to be honest we started doing them around the same time. I don't know how to feel, especially considering I wear buddy holly glasses and currently have a flannel on and own an iPhone and am never seen without my iPod and I wear weird hats. But I don't like fixed gears. That's what really makes a hipster, right?

Plus, I'd like to think I'm too earnest.

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Embrace the hipster in you, Brian.

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
im more worried about neo-hippies than hipsters. anyone who thinks umphreys mcgee or string cheese incident is the pinnacle of music culture terrifies the hell out of me.

TomAz
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Embrace the hipster in you, Brian.

he's right about the earnest part.

also isn't it with a y? I always thought it was with a y.

SoulDischarge
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd rather hang out with any one of those hipster types any day than your typical Sarah Palin voter. Fuck authenticity when all it means is you're a genuine clueless selfish moron.

TomAz
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
im more worried about neo-hippies than hipsters. anyone who thinks umphreys mcgee or string cheese incident is the pinnacle of music culture terrifies the hell out of me.

You must crap your pants a lot.

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
You must crap your pants a lot.

daily. i live in denver

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I'd rather hang out with any one of those hipster types any day than your typical Sarah Palin voter. Fuck authenticity when all it means is you're a genuine clueless selfish moron.

this.

bmack86
02-05-2010, 10:33 AM

also isn't it with a y? I always thought it was with a y.

It's with a y.

BlackSwan
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
When they do another one of these hipster evolutionary timelines in 2015, the 2012 hipster-style will look like me... That's how much of a hipster I am.

SoulDischarge
02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Hipsters don't believe in the year 2015.

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I have a feeling a lot of hipsters are the same people who wore Jincos and listened exclusively to Marilyn Manson in the 90's. then they realized the dyed hair and face make up wasnt getting them laid so they picked up something more 'sophisticated'.

Also, hipsters are responsible for the resurgence of PBR outside of the midwest. I hate pbr.

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 10:52 AM

also isn't it with a y? I always thought it was with a y.Ugh. I knew I shouldn't have tried spelling out his name.

BlackSwan
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Hipsters don't believe in the year 2015.

That type of thinking is so 2001.

Monklish
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I've never worn anything but black dress belts and never eyeliner; I don't wear skulls, canvas Vans, or listen to Death Cab; I've never in my life put on a trucker hat and abhor ironic shirts; I have no tattoos and no iPod; I hate vinyl, pipes, and never take my contacts out even when I should; I think both motorcyles and mopeds are fucking insane and if it's over 60 degrees I will fight you before I put on anything warmer than short sleeves; I despise the working man, homeless people, and beards equally; I don't blog, my film camera is a categorically bare-bones Canon from the 80s or something and I would never buy vintage unless it was priced like old crap; I hate bicycles as much as motorcycles and mopeds, have never and will never purchase any sunglasses except for black ones with minimal frame and still don't have an iPhone; I resent the idea of there being any kind of artwork on my shirts, still even more so if it's supposed to be ironic, and continue to feel that tattoos are for assholes.

I, ladies and gentleman, am the anti-hipster.

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
palm pre > iphone

TomAz
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
amy zeroes right in on the key point.

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I've never worn anything but black dress belts and never eyeliner; I don't wear skulls, canvas Vans, or listen to Death Cab; I've never in my life put on a trucker hat and abhor ironic shirts; I have no tattoos and no iPod; I hate vinyl, pipes, and never take my contacts out even when I should; I think both motorcyles and mopeds are fucking insane and if it's over 60 degrees I will fight you before I put on anything warmer than short sleeves; I despise the working man, homeless people, and beards equally; I don't blog, my film camera is a categorically bare-bones Canon from the 80s or something and I would never buy vintage unless it was priced like old crap; I hate bicycles as much as motorcycles and mopeds, have never and will never purchase any sunglasses except for black ones with minimal frame and still don't have an iPhone; I resent the idea of there being any kind of artwork on my shirts, still even more so if it's supposed to be ironic, and continue to feel that tattoos are for assholes.

I, ladies and gentleman, am the anti-hipster.

you wrote all that garbage to prove to the internet that you're the 'anti-hipster'?

Pixiessp
02-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I also abhor the skinny head band thing. Natasha Khan is the only one who can pull it off. Tattoo sleeves on girls are hot though.

BlackSwan
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
you wrote all that garbage to prove to the internet that you're the 'anti-hipster'?

A better point to bring up would have been that no one ever accused Randy of being hip.

Monklish
02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
In other words, according to that article I am the savior of Western civilization.

Incidentally, I knew that already.

J~$$$$
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Isnt the core of anit-hipster, "hippsterism"?

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
A better point to bring up would have been that no one ever accused Randy of being hip.

well put.

MonOm
02-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Your idiocy amazes me.

JustSteve
02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
LOL. wow I didnt even both to look at the name, I just saw that stupid face.

Don't worry, I love your stupid face Randall.

i thought it was randolph

TomAz
02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
It keeps on giving.

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Your idiocy amazes me.

It amazes me at times.

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
I've grown fond of the skinny headband.

MissingPerson
02-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Natasha Khan is the only one who can pull it off. Tattoo sleeves on girls are hot though.

Agreed on both points.

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 11:51 AM
another wasted thread on self righteous gents trying to talk their way out of stereotypes they've fallen into.

lets start another "ever accidently ingest one's own bodily fluid" thread and stop being such douches.

n randy you look like an interpol messageboard reject btw

bmack86
02-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Is it the hat or the chubby cheeks?

jackstraw94086
02-05-2010, 12:11 PM
another wasted thread on self righteous gents trying to talk their way out of stereotypes they've fallen into.

lets start another "ever accidently ingest one's own bodily fluid" thread and stop being such douches.

n randy you look like an interpol messageboard reject btw

see how fun metahipsterism can be?

I want to have shameful divorced sex with this thread.

Pixiessp
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Agreed on both points.

If I saw a girl with a skinny headband AND a sleeve I would have to pull that headband off of her and we'd have a talk about how great her life will be now that I have freed her from future shame.

Skinny headband girl without a sleeve has no chance of redemption.

TomAz
02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
and giving.

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 12:27 PM
anyone else want to explain why they are not "hipsters" nor "scene"?

good riddance

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 12:29 PM

good riddance

do you want to explain why you would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like you for a member...

what the fuck does that mean?

boarderwoozel3
02-05-2010, 12:31 PM
The only style thing that irks me are non-prescription glasses. On behalf of those in need of corrective lenses; screw that trend. Your grandma glasses are horrid.

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Aurgasm, if you've seen "Annie Hall" you would understand its reference to that.

watch the opening monologue, its self explanatory

Aurgasm
I'm positive we've seen all of this at Coachella.

The only style thing that irks me

Girls wearing Ugs (sp?). Anyone wearing ugs for that matter.. espescially furry ones worn with shorts.

ballroomdancer22
agreed about the glasses, i'm glad i have 20/20 vision

TomAz
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Aurgasm, if you've seen "Annie Hall" you would understand its reference to that.

I think it actually pre-dates Annie Hall. Wasn't Woody quoting Groucho?

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
males wearing ugs<<<<more of a horrid sight

chairmenmeow47
02-05-2010, 12:35 PM
i love annie hall and don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

and Aurgasm, what the hell is your avatar? why is it so dark?

ballroomdancer22
yeah it does. Woody Allen mentions that before stating said quote

Aurgasm

watch the opening monologue, its self explanatory

gotcha. As much as i enjoy woody allen I have not seen all his work. Thanks for clearing that up.

chairmenmeow47
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

good riddance

nothing about this has anything to do with annie hall whatsoever.

do you want to explain why you would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like you for a member...

what the fuck does that mean?

and yes, this is in the beginning monologue of annie hall; which is a reference to groucho marx as tom explained.

TomAz
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Yes you do. Woody's monologue at the beginning of the movie.

rrxlfvI17oY

edit, nm, but leaving the post for the YT.

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
i posted that before the whole annie hall blabber was ignited

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
males wearing ugs<<<<more of a horrid sight

i've never seen a guy in ugs

and Aurgasm, what the hell is your avatar? why is it so dark?

ahh its just a random screen grab from this video

VR2_IDX8cqU

chairmenmeow47
02-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes you do. Woody's monologue at the beginning of the movie.

yes, grouchos quote is. there is no monologue about hipsters vs. scenesters, that was my point.

TomAz
02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Talking about Annie Hall is a lot more interesting than talking about trendy shitbags or guys wearing ugs.

chairmenmeow47
02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
agreed. christopher walken cracks me the fuck up.

chairmenmeow47
02-05-2010, 12:43 PM
and it's on my dvr, i'm totally watching it again this weekend :)

TomAz
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Paul Simon's greatest work as a performer of any sort is in that movie.

SoulDischarge
Can I confess something? I tell you this as an artist, I think you'll understand. Sometimes when I'm driving... on the road at night... I see two headlights coming toward me. Fast. I have this sudden impulse to turn the wheel quickly, head-on into the oncoming car. I can anticipate the explosion. The sound of shattering glass. The... flames rising out of the flowing gasoline.

Aurgasm
Talking about Annie Hall is a lot more interesting than talking about trendy shitbags or guys wearing ugs.

lulz

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
soul discharge<< hahaha, the look on Woody's face after this confession and on the ride to the aiport is classic

BlackSwan
02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
It's "Uggs," people. If you are going to complain about something, at least spell it right.

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 12:48 PM

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1086564/Man%20on%20Stool.jpg

How can that not be interesting?

TomAz
02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
ugh.

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 12:50 PM
is that Wally Szerbiack?

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
ugh.

mission success

J~$$$$
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Grizzly Adams the ultimate hipster.

djandrews25
02-05-2010, 12:55 PM
The only way that guy could look more douchey is if he was wearing supre's fedora.

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 12:55 PM
The only style thing that irks me are non-prescription glasses. On behalf of those in need of corrective lenses; screw that trend. Your grandma glasses are horrid.
QF FUCKING T

SoulDischarge
02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Is internet deja vu a sign of being a hipster?

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Hipsters deny owning computers, they communicate thru mailing letters and smoke signals

Boourns
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I am pretty sure the skinny head band thing is no longer "deck." Natasha Khan doesn't wear them anymore, and the last time I saw anyone wear one, it was a group of women in their 40's at Glasto, which was a long time ago.

TomAz
02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
So I just watched the Walken scene again on youtube then saw the first comment posted below it.

What an insensitive asshole. Walken's character makes himself vulnerable and Allen's character stomps on him. It is only fitting that Allen be driven through the rain in a 911 by Walken. I hope that Allen's character shits his pants.

which is really delightful on several different levels.

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Is internet deja vu a sign of being a hipster?
No, it's just a sign you've been on the board more than 6 months....

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
there were plenty at coachella last year

Gribbz
there were plenty at coachella last year

NO WAY.

TomAz
Tony Lacey. That was the Paul Simon character's name.

ballroomdancer22
one of the best scenes in the movie

chairmenmeow47
02-05-2010, 01:00 PM
So I just watched the Walken scene again on youtube then saw the first comment posted below it.

which is really delightful on several different levels.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

boarderwoozel3
02-05-2010, 01:00 PM
QF FUCKING T

In solidarity, zzz. We can't stand for that nonsense.

truths
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Lets play a game

Spot the hipsters ITT. GO!

Devin the Dude
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a feeling a lot of hipsters are the same people who wore Jincos and listened exclusively to Marilyn Manson in the 90's. then they realized the dyed hair and face make up wasnt getting them laid so they picked up something more 'sophisticated'.

Also, hipsters are responsible for the resurgence of PBR outside of the midwest. I hate pbr.

Pabst > Water. At least in the sense that the two are equally refreshing after a long bike ride, but one has alcohol in it (barely).

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
i will agree, Pabst gets you fucked up, water doesn't

Pabst>Water

Pixiessp
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
i've never seen a guy in ugs

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/Pixiessp/david-hasselhoff-pink-ugg3-300x172.jpg

ballroomdancer22
02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
fuckking Hoff

give the man some booze and a burger and he'd be the full package

boarderwoozel3
02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't get all the Pabst hate. Whay do you expect? Obviously it's not a microbrew. And it's way better than Natural Ice, Busch or their ilk.

Rainier is way more hip anyway.

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't get all the Pabst hate.

You're still in college.

Pixiessp
02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I used to love those old Rainier commercials where you would hear a motorbike approaching in the distance. I can't do it justice without posting the youtube vid. May have to go looking for it.

jackstraw94086
02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Paul Simon's greatest work as a performer of any sort is in that movie.

< The Graduate.

boarderwoozel3
02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Rainier is equally shitty but widely embraced up here, home town and all.

You're still in college.

To be clear; that wasn't a statement of support. I'm more of a red wine and liquor guy anyway.

MissingPerson
02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Lets play a game

Spot the hipsters ITT. GO!

Please stop saying "ITT".

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 01:22 PM
To be clear; that wasn't a statement of support. I'm more of a red wine and liquor guy anyway.

whatever the danes drink, you drink

jackstraw94086
02-05-2010, 01:23 PM

good riddance

will you please skip ahead to the anger,bargaining,depression, and acceptance already? You have become tedious.

jackstraw94086
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't get all the Pabst hate. Whay do you expect? Obviously it's not a microbrew. And it's way better than Natural Ice, Busch or their ilk.

Rainier is way more hip anyway.

Someday you'll have a checking account that can suffer the extra $1 (or realize the folly of acting like you don't). Life is too short to choke down any of that piss you mentioned. Beer is for more than just getting wasted.

boarderwoozel3
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
whatever the danes drink, you drink

It's more of a give and take thing. Sharing is caring after all.

SoulDischarge
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Seriously. Pabst is perfectly serviceable when you're broke. If I can afford a better beer, I'll buy it, but that's not really all that often.

boarderwoozel3
02-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Someday you'll have a checking account that can suffer the extra $1 (or realize the folly of acting like you don't). Life is too short to choke down any of that piss you mentioned. Beer is for more than just getting wasted.

Rainier is equally shitty but widely embraced up here, home town and all.

Ok.

Aurgasm
02-05-2010, 01:29 PM
im starting to think this thread represents the end of Western civilization

boarderwoozel3
02-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Projection!

bmack86
02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I used to love those old Rainier commercials where you would hear a motorbike approaching in the distance. I can't do it justice without posting the youtube vid. May have to go looking for it.

Raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee eeeeer Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!

I never saw them, but my dad loved them when I was a baby. I had a Rainier shirt that said Timbeeeeeeer and had a beaver chewing through a beer can.

york707
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Busch beer. It's what I grew up on. It's hard to turn away. I will take Busch, Lone Star or even High Life before PBR.