PDA

View Full Version : Cool Shops/Shit to Do Around the Festival?

thegossips
02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey, I'm coming to the festival for the first time this year and I was wondering if anyone knew of any cool shopping in the area or maybe some record stores or just like fun shit to do outside of the festival. I've heard its kind of in the middle of nowhere, but I was hoping to maybe find a little something. Thanks!

-Jacob

Grant
02-04-2010, 09:08 AM
There's a grocery store, K-Mart... Yeah.

donkey sex
02-04-2010, 09:10 AM
read magazines

canexplain
02-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Brokendoll or Suff will probably chime in on this. They are locals. cr*****

juloxx
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Find someone with a pool in their house ------> Go to house------> Get in pool -------------> Prophet

michaelmontanez
02-04-2010, 11:42 AM
if it gets windy, fly a kite!

Theijuiel
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
http://maps.google.com/mapdata?CxUsjAMCHdymDvkgDwwtLIwDAjXcpg75QKoCSNoBUg JVU5ABA8oBAmVu

Barracks
67625 East Palm Canyon Drive, Cathedral City, CA 92234-5462
(760) 321-9688‎
thebarracksbarps.com

Barracks is ...‎
By LeathermanCraig - Dec 29, 2008
Barracks is an icon - and has been a part of the Leather life in the desert for many a year... The crowd can be very varied... from very old to very young... very large to very small... most of the guys are of the ... leather ... variety... but some are not. Some are just there becasue it's close to where they live or are staying.. Usually more leather than not, you'll find quite a few Leather Daddies and boys in the mix... Some look the part - straight out of a Colt video or a Tom of Finland print, and some don't. You'll find a unique mix of guys, for sure... Bartenders are generally very nice, and there's a lot of space when both rooms and patios are opened up for the crowds... Sundays ARE legendary there. Some weeknights may seem ... slow... The bar doesn't really get a crowd going until about 9 PM on most nights (Sunday being the exception) so you may be the only person there if you're there too early. Good music and many things to treat the eyes - and the lips... with great drink specials and some good eats (some days), it's usually a good time at Barracks.

michaelmontanez
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
any glory holes?

Cheddar's Cousin
02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
There aint shit all to do out here besides the festival and festival related activities.

There are no (good) record stores

There is no shopping...unless you're into Hot Topic and Tilly's.

If you like to hike, there are some good trails. They should be cool enough in the morning.

You may be able to get 9 holes in on a public course.

Other than that, find a pool and chill.

ballroomdancer22
02-04-2010, 03:43 PM
or you can come sniffing around my tent

i will have plenty of unmentionables

jamesc2929
02-05-2010, 01:22 AM
If you can get to downtown Palm Springs it is worth a day; thrift stores, etc. The art museum is worth the trip, and has some great modern paintings.There are is also m modern gallery which specializes in pop surrealist pieces.

michaelmontanez
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
my mom told me about this place called Gaymart that her and my grandma encountered while antique shopping in Palm Springs... that may be somewhat of an interesting store to visit.

donkey sex
02-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Gaymart

"rollllinggg back pricessss" (*bats eyelashes repeatedly while leaving mouth open for no reason*)

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Downtown Palm Springs FTW.

steavelee2
02-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Hooray! It’s that time of year again where bands of all genres play to thousands of music lovers around the world.
And, thanks to its eclectic line-up and decent weather, Coachella is becoming one of the biggest. Hosted in a Californian desert, people flock from all over America to attend.
One of this year’s performers was Morrissey – a man so removed of happiness that a trip to a furniture shop, a stint watching paint dry and a visit to a cemetery bring more joy than an hour of his company. The much-publicised vegetarian got slightly pissy during his Friday slot as his nostrils sniffed the odour of burgers and other meaty delights. Of course he didn’t keep his opinions to himself.
Morrisey may not know this, but for billions of years the species known as man has hunted and killed animals. He chomped on a tasty bit of animal and used its skin to keep warm for himself and his ladyfriend. It’s only really been in recent years, after we gained some brains and stopped throwing spears at each other, that the idea of vegetarianism/veganism has spawned.
Vegetarians believe it’s extremely evil to eat an animal to cure hunger and that person will end up in hell where a demon cow will punch him in the face every hour as a way of making up for his sins. For the more radical thinkers, there is something called veganism. Not eating an animal isn’t good enough, so these people don’t wear anything made from animals or use certain products if animal extracts are contained in them, like a hen’s eyeball in a car tyre or something.
Whilst we don’t know the extent of Morrissey’s animal beliefs, we do know that he gets pretty worked up about the issue. On several occasions in the past, he’s mouthed off and told us all we’re pretty bad for eating a helpless cow or a cute little pig. God help him if he stumbled over to certain countries in Asia.
During his performance at Coachella, Morrissey’s passion for spreading the joy of non-meat based products came out in force. Whilst we badly wanted him to be dressed as a giant stick of celery, handing out leaflets and confusing drugged up hippies, he didn’t. NME reports that midway through the set, Morrissey said:
“I can smell burning flesh and I hope to God it’s human,” as the smell of barbecued meat from nearby food stands wafted through the air. A few minutes later, the famous vegetarian walked off the stage in the middle of ‘Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others’. He returned shortly afterward, saying, “The smell of burning animals is making me sick. I just couldn’t bear it.”
We can only assume that when he sulked off stage, he poured a bowl of fruit punch over his head whilst chanting out loud. “MEAT IS EVIL! MEAT IS EVIL! MEAT IS EVIL! I AM MORRISSEY AND I WON’T LET THIS BEAT ME!” After finishing off a watermelon in three impressive bites, he returned to the stage to further depress the audience.
It’s quite strange really when we actually sit down and think about the whole ‘Ooh eating meat is wrong’ issue. Yes, cuddly furry lambs are allowed to age for a few years before being butchered in to yummy Sunday roast. However, have you spared a thought for the poor roast potatoes, carrots, peas and pieces of broccoli that accompany them? They also had to grow from something and are subsequently a living organism. Therefore, you’re eating a living and growing thing, just like a animal. In the words of a sheep “its baaaaaaaaaaaaad man”.
Therefore, all of you bloody whiney vegetarians and vegans have no argument to stand on. If you won’t eat meat, don’t eat vegetables/fruit either. You’ll have to survive on toilet duck or make a magic device that recycles leftover food. Sermon over. Next time, there will be more poo and wee jokes. We promise.

trentmorrison
02-06-2010, 04:52 PM
on wed in palm springs last time we were there, there was a street fair that closes a long strip and they have vendors and music, it was nice

trentmorrison
02-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Hooray! It’s that time of year again where bands of all genres play to thousands of music lovers around the world.
And, thanks to its eclectic line-up and decent weather, Coachella is becoming one of the biggest. Hosted in a Californian desert, people flock from all over America to attend.
One of this year’s performers was Morrissey – a man so removed of happiness that a trip to a furniture shop, a stint watching paint dry and a visit to a cemetery bring more joy than an hour of his company. The much-publicised vegetarian got slightly pissy during his Friday slot as his nostrils sniffed the odour of burgers and other meaty delights. Of course he didn’t keep his opinions to himself.
Morrisey may not know this, but for billions of years the species known as man has hunted and killed animals. He chomped on a tasty bit of animal and used its skin to keep warm for himself and his ladyfriend. It’s only really been in recent years, after we gained some brains and stopped throwing spears at each other, that the idea of vegetarianism/veganism has spawned.
Vegetarians believe it’s extremely evil to eat an animal to cure hunger and that person will end up in hell where a demon cow will punch him in the face every hour as a way of making up for his sins. For the more radical thinkers, there is something called veganism. Not eating an animal isn’t good enough, so these people don’t wear anything made from animals or use certain products if animal extracts are contained in them, like a hen’s eyeball in a car tyre or something.
Whilst we don’t know the extent of Morrissey’s animal beliefs, we do know that he gets pretty worked up about the issue. On several occasions in the past, he’s mouthed off and told us all we’re pretty bad for eating a helpless cow or a cute little pig. God help him if he stumbled over to certain countries in Asia.
During his performance at Coachella, Morrissey’s passion for spreading the joy of non-meat based products came out in force. Whilst we badly wanted him to be dressed as a giant stick of celery, handing out leaflets and confusing drugged up hippies, he didn’t. NME reports that midway through the set, Morrissey said:
“I can smell burning flesh and I hope to God it’s human,” as the smell of barbecued meat from nearby food stands wafted through the air. A few minutes later, the famous vegetarian walked off the stage in the middle of ‘Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others’. He returned shortly afterward, saying, “The smell of burning animals is making me sick. I just couldn’t bear it.”
We can only assume that when he sulked off stage, he poured a bowl of fruit punch over his head whilst chanting out loud. “MEAT IS EVIL! MEAT IS EVIL! MEAT IS EVIL! I AM MORRISSEY AND I WON’T LET THIS BEAT ME!” After finishing off a watermelon in three impressive bites, he returned to the stage to further depress the audience.
It’s quite strange really when we actually sit down and think about the whole ‘Ooh eating meat is wrong’ issue. Yes, cuddly furry lambs are allowed to age for a few years before being butchered in to yummy Sunday roast. However, have you spared a thought for the poor roast potatoes, carrots, peas and pieces of broccoli that accompany them? They also had to grow from something and are subsequently a living organism. Therefore, you’re eating a living and growing thing, just like a animal. In the words of a sheep “its baaaaaaaaaaaaad man”.
Therefore, all of you bloody whiney vegetarians and vegans have no argument to stand on. If you won’t eat meat, don’t eat vegetables/fruit either. You’ll have to survive on toilet duck or make a magic device that recycles leftover food. Sermon over. Next time, there will be more poo and wee jokes. We promise.

i hope thats not from a respected newspaper/magazine. If it's gross, its gross to him. I don't think he was intentionally being a drama queen. The whole living vegetable thing is actually way more retarded argument and makes the article silly. no one should be surprised that he is depressed.

zipperhead
02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Golfing / Hiking / Mexican Food

Rinse and repeat.

WhyTheLongFace
02-10-2010, 12:44 AM

http://i49.tinypic.com/w8bbwk.gif

Devin the Dude
02-10-2010, 12:19 PM
There's nothing cool to do out there, but we're gonna have a lot of fun doing it.

donkey sex
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
chat up complete strangers in the streets to see how far you can get with them. As in the duration of time spent together. You may get invited out to dinner or back to their house for drinks or may just get a cold rebuke. They may try to have you watch their children (this happened once and I politely said no). It's an unnatural way to meet and get to know people, as it's like you are forcing yourself on them with a premeditated plan which they are unknowingly recipients of, but it can help kill some time if you need to.

Like a game. And it's free and can be exciting. Try it.

Scary Larry
02-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Jesus, man. You really should try some punctuation in that or lay off the drugs.

Scary Larry
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Any restaurant recommendations in the area? Nice local places preferably would be a great help. I try to stay away from the chain places as much as possible when traveling.