PDA

View Full Version : MUTEMATH - A must see

marzex
02-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey everyone, I just wanted to put a friendly shout that Mutemath is a badass show! I've seen them twice and was not disappointed. Very tight band and their drummer is a show in itself.

Glad to see them on the lineup!

jamesc2929
02-03-2010, 03:17 AM
Started listening after I saw them on the poster. Their latest CD has been in constant rotation ever since I got it. I hope there are no major conflicts involving them. They are one band I don't want to miss.

alex gardner
02-03-2010, 03:24 AM
<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57FcwUoCdmQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57FcwUoCdmQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

jammed this one a lot in high school.

Jankypirate
02-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks!

I had never head of them but I like them a lot.

Will definitely be seeing them Sunday!

rasooli
02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
MUTEMATH sucks....I checked them out after seeing them on the lineup and they were terrible..If you want some real music with some of the lesser know bands check out wolfgang garter, porcupine tree, flying lotus, les claypool, infected mushroom, and as tall as lions

EddieF
02-04-2010, 01:51 AM
I quite enjoy them, they have a poppy edge though which I don't really like tbh. It's odd because the music is too cleverly structured to sound so poppy

20something
02-04-2010, 06:13 AM
their shows are entertaining to say the least. i will definitely be checking them out if there's not a conflict.

Eliwood
02-04-2010, 03:55 PM
They're a pretty typical band...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pAtXKS9ZxvM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pAtXKS9ZxvM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Coolest video.

zeg0ggles
02-04-2010, 04:49 PM
MUTEMATH sucks....I checked them out after seeing them on the lineup and they were terrible..If you want some real music with some of the lesser know bands check out wolfgang garter, porcupine tree, flying lotus, les claypool, infected mushroom, and as tall as lions

Since when are Infected Mushroom and Les Claypool lesser known acts? Wise up youngen.

From Beyond
02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Agree 100% with OP Mute Math is an outstanding live act.

You can't make it the New Orleans club scene it you don't have serious chops.

tchuess
02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
definitely a must-see...hopefully no painful conflicts at their time slot.

GuyInTucson
02-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Since when are Infected Mushroom and Les Claypool lesser known acts? Wise up youngen.

Thanks, you beat me to it. I mean, how could you not know the guy who sings the South Park Theme Song? :D

In all seriousness though, people should do some research on the bands before you refer to them as "lesser known". Primus has probably been around longer than some of these people have been alive and Infected Mushroom has been touring since the mid-90's.

anevaude
02-05-2010, 06:12 PM
The drummer is phenomenal. Incredibly talented, incredibly wild. I've never seen MM live, but they're on my list. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfyChdikLo4

StegoDee
02-05-2010, 10:29 PM
^ Fa sho. Darren King can throw down...even though I'm not wild about their singer.

Shooters08
02-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Will be one of the best performances of the festival

SeeYouAuntie
02-06-2010, 02:20 AM
They were the best thing I saw on Thursday night at Bonnaroo 2007. Really tight. Full of passion. Fantastic drums. If you haven't seen them they are very cool. I'll probably miss them if they conflict with something I want to see and haven't yet though.

Trillis
02-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Agree 100% with OP Mute Math is an outstanding live act.

You can't make it the New Orleans club scene it you don't have serious chops.

New Orleans is a bar city. There is no club scene worth mentioning.

sidsjiff
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
bump

Have really been enjoying "Armistice". Looking forward to them. For those interested, their Myspace page has them performing at 3pm:

http://www.myspace.com/mutemath

will have to see what conflicts arise ... but i'd love to see them. hopefully sunday this year won't be as hot as Sunday was last year.

HAMMERHEAD
03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
somehow i've managed to see these guys on accident on 3 separate occasions as openers for some other bands i went to see and when it comes to live performances these guys fucking slay. can't say their studio work is that riveting, nor could i really even characterize it as anything other than pure dog shit, but they really bring it when they perform live like ive never seen. high energy is an understatement, i have seriously feared for their singers health as he jumps all over his electric piano and other equipment. the drummer wears earmuffs that he duct tapes to his head and then proceeds to shit all over most other live drummers you've probably ever seen in your life on a pretty basic drum set.

i really tried giving their music a shot and its just not that gratifying. everything about this band needs to be experienced live so if you aren't impressed (as you rightfully shouldn't be), go against your better judgement and see them anyways.

its been like 4 or 5 years since the last time i saw mute math so it is altogether possible they've toned it down, in which case id probably run the opposite direction.

afox19
04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Ok - I kept waiting for this thread to reappear, and it appears I'll have to do it.

I LOVED THIS PERFORMANCE! I had to jump out of the car (waiting in line on 50th) and run b/c I didn't want to miss it, and it was WELL WELL WELL worth it. My first time seeing them, and was non-stop action from start to finish.

I really like both their albums, but I had no idea what was coming with the stage show. Let's just say it ended up with the drummer out in the crowd. Big deal, right? Well - he was standing on top of his bass tom, and the crowd was holding the tom up over their heads. Pretty f'n sweet.

I was a little bummed about the crowd initially, but they got into it as it went on and by the end I daresay it was pretty hype.

CrimesceneCookie
04-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I knew nothing about this band and gave them a chance, LOVED their performance!

Vic Viper
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
loved this show. only knew them from 'typical' but one of my camp mates played their CD in his car saturday morning and i knew i had to go.

drummer was bananas.

ghettosteez
04-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Holy shit, I ended up at the end of their set while waiting to get front for Matt & Kim and saw all their antics during their last song, with the jamming and crazy ass drumming and the dude standing on the drum WHILE BALANCING ON THE CROWD. haha cool shit.

SomeGuyInNM
04-20-2010, 04:25 PM
i was completely surprised by their energy... i know their music is very energetic but that show was pretty awesome... one of my top 5 of the weekend!

heimer
04-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Loved it: 5tiyWI8cQr0

ReaganSMASH
04-21-2010, 08:07 AM
I am not a big fan of their music, but they really put on a stellar performance. I enjoyed their set very much. Like the OP said, the drummer could carry his own show.

afox19
04-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Sweet! Here's the crazy ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tiyWI8cQr0&feature=related

StubbADubb
04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I saw them because I heard my bf's sister talking about how good they are live. She was right, I was highly entertained. This may sound sacreligious to Mutemath fans but they reminded me of a tighter, talented and less obnoxious Maroon 5.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302/karinahalle/Seattle127.jpg

alisonnn
04-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I missed them due to a conflict, I saw them back in 2005 at the henry fonda and they had melt-your-face-off energy so I'm super glad they've still got it!

yardbird
04-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I also liked their set.
I took some great pictures; Can anyone tell me what this is?

http://symmetrynetworks.com/mutemath.jpg

NoMeansYes2010
04-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I may be going against the grain here or whatever, but I thought they put on a very subpar performance. The lead singer started dancing around and doing hand-stands because he was losing his voice... did no one else notice that? The set ended about ten minutes early more than likely BECAUSE the singer was losing his voice. Cheap parlor tricks to end a show does not equal a "crazy ending."

Don't get me wrong, I dig their sound on their CD's, but I was very unimpressed. One of the few sets that didn't meet my expectations. I love some of their music too.

fuck frankie
04-27-2010, 10:10 PM
The set ended about ten minutes early more than likely BECAUSE the singer was losing his voice. Cheap parlor tricks to end a show does not equal a "crazy ending."

i looked up a few youtube vids beforehand and was not diggin it at all...but to get a good spot for Matt & Kim i sat through their whole set and was pretty damned entertained. musically still no really my thing (neo-prog rock with a slightly bro vibe) but the performance was pretty damn fun. sandwiched between the awesome of King Khan and Matt & Kim didn't do them any favors, but they certainly didn't bore me

btw, i could see the drummer's setlist from where i was standing, and the set wasn't cut short. it was just a short set

sidsjiff
04-28-2010, 08:36 AM
one of the best performances of the weekend by far.
definitely one of the reasons i will keep going to coachella - discovering bands like this.

shoegazer76
04-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I also liked their set.
I took some great pictures; Can anyone tell me what this is?

http://symmetrynetworks.com/mutemath.jpg

This is a custom built circuit bent homebrew instrument. Circuit bending has been around for quite some time now. Its primarily an underground hacker pastime. Circuits are harvested from childrens toys or other electronic musical instruments. The boards are probed with a resistor wheel to find "bends" which are documented. Later a wire is soldered to each point completing a bend. A control is soldered inbetween the wire to turn it on & off or to oscillate it in some way. It would appear that the aquagreen bubble on this instruments is housing photocells to tweak the sound being generated by controlling the amount of light that is hitting the photcells. The red buttons control other bends that have been wired into the circuit. The neck is a touch sensitive pad (much like the ones on the sides of childrens story books with the sound strips) probably to control the octave of tones being generated. Check out circuit bending by Q.R. Ghazala. Its a very easy to read introduction to the world of circuitry & bending. Ebay has many devices up for purchase & bid also. If you can find it there is a documentary called bent 2004 NYC. Mike Patton has a small cameo & interview in it.

Infeum
04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJhjtM4KK9o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJhjtM4KK9o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3imaginaryboys
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Fun set, wish I could have enjoyed it more though. I was too busy trying not to pass out near the front.