PDA

View Full Version : Coachella 2010 cell / mobile coverage

lau-lau
02-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Travelling from London & after many good times at Glasto am beyond excited about my 1st Coachella! Planning to get a US prepaid cell - any tips on which provider has the best coverage at the festival?

amy2705
02-02-2010, 05:20 AM
AT&T??? I may be wrong but has always been what i have picked up when im over there and never had any problems.

Gypsy Girl
02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I have AT&T and coverage SUCKED last year

beavington
02-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I have AT&T and coverage SUCKED last year

cell phone coverage there sucks all around, you would think ATT would be able to help out in that department being that they aer big sponsers

amy2705
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
How much are expecting to use your phone at the festival anyway? they is only so many "oh my god im at Coachella, and im watching '.........' its fucking awesome" txt messages you can send home. In 07 i sent far too many, people they get annoyed.

amy2705
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
* there not they

BKsaysAction!
02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
The problem I had last year was sending texts to find people in my group and they weren't getting the texts untill 15-30 minutes later. Which is a problem trying to meet up for food, finding them in a crowd before an act, or getting ready to leave.

nbvcide
02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
cell phone coverage there sucks all around, you would think ATT would be able to help out in that department being that they aer big sponsers

not always.. i had problems in '08, but none in '09.. same provider

the trick is to use texts, not calls.. but sometimes texts don't come through until you leave the fest and then you get them all at once.. the trick is to turn off your phone and turn it on again, it forces all the texts through..

lau-lau
02-03-2010, 04:40 AM
How much are expecting to use your phone at the festival anyway? they is only so many "oh my god im at Coachella, and im watching '.........' its fucking awesome" txt messages you can send home. In 07 i sent far too many, people they get annoyed.

Not looking to phone home ET style - too many gutted friends who wanted to make it out but can't - I'd get lynched! Just looking to be able to contact friends at the festival. Was thinking about T-Mobile as they have some super cheap deals and I use them in the UK but maybe AT&T is the way forward.

lizng
02-03-2010, 06:00 AM
I have T-Mobile and have generally had decent service on the polo fields. The text messages did get a little jammed up, but didn't lag for too long. You could always go old school and get yourself some walkie talkies (http://www.global-b2b-network.com/direct/dbimage/50254787/Walkie_Talkie_Toy_Spiderman_II_.jpg).

brfilora
02-03-2010, 06:27 AM

the trick is to use texts, not calls.. but sometimes texts don't come through until you leave the fest and then you get them all at once.. the trick is to turn off your phone and turn it on again, it forces all the texts through..

Turning Airplane mode on and off seems to have the same affect for me, might take a little less time than a reboot

faxman75
02-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Verizon. I never have a problem with texts or phone calls on the polo fields. Not once in the last 5 years and I do use it quite a bit.

JustSteve
02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Not looking to phone home ET style - too many gutted friends who wanted to make it out but can't - I'd get lynched! Just looking to be able to contact friends at the festival. Was thinking about T-Mobile as they have some super cheap deals and I use them in the UK but maybe AT&T is the way forward.

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/1545/11721666.JPG

Davids81
02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Turning Airplane mode on and off seems to have the same affect for me, might take a little less time than a reboot

I love how it's assumed that everyone has an iPhone. Probably because everyone does, but still... this made me chuckle. I know my mobile internet was teh shitzz last year, texts too, but I will try this new method you speak of

faxman75
02-03-2010, 08:27 AM
What part of that post told you it was an iphone? Airplane mode? I have that and I don't have an iphone.

rskapcat
02-03-2010, 08:29 AM
No problems with Sprint the past 2 years.

Derekx
02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
I used Verizon last year and had no problems.

brfilora
02-03-2010, 10:03 AM
What part of that post told you it was an iphone? Airplane mode? I have that and I don't have an iphone.

Yeah, My blackberry had airplane mode too.

Besides, everyone should be able to just use their Coachella iPhone apps to communicate.

shermanoaksyo
02-03-2010, 10:58 AM
AT&T iPhone service will be horrendous. Hopefully I'll remember to get some walkie talkies together.

vinylmartyr
02-03-2010, 11:07 AM
My at&t sucked from about 4 pm until 1 am everyday.

locachica73
02-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I had Verizon the first two years I was there and it worked the whole time, no delay on texts or anything. I now have Cricket though, I have a feeling I won't be able to use it while there. :(

lau-lau
02-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Brilliant - I may have to resort to old school tech and we'd be going waaay back when with this one!

amy2705
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Two cans attached with a peice of string? im not even sure that works.

lizng
02-03-2010, 04:48 PM
only if it's a realllllllllly long piece of string and you are careful to not walk in circles

lickety_spit
02-03-2010, 05:24 PM
no problem with sprint the past 6 years.
however, i don't think they have prepaid phone service,
so this was of no use to you.

nbvcide
02-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Besides, everyone should be able to just use their Coachella iPhone apps to communicate.

not all of us wanna be tracked to where we are on the polo fields via gps..

OnlyNonStranger
02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
My iPhone service has always sucked. I've tried putting in on airplane mode and turning it off and on and a lot of the time it does not force the texts through. I just resort to, "oh well, we'll see each other at camp."

theresalwaysone
02-03-2010, 05:56 PM

the trick is to use calls instead of texts because you can actually talk to the person instead of spending 2 hours:

"where are you?"
"Im in the beer garden"
"I don't see you."
"Sorry I left to mainstage. That was an hour ago."

This does not apply to if either party is at a stage. Then texts are your only hope.

koliebo
02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I have Virgin Mobile, which uses the T-Mobile network, and I've never had serious issues at Coachella. My boyfriend has AT&T and service was pretty slow for him.

For that matter, Virgin Mobile is a pretty good option when it comes to prepaid phones... most US cell phone companies don't offer many prepaid phone options, but Virgin is a bit better about that (I'm guessing because they're based in the UK, where prepaid/pay-as-you-go phones are more common?)

dontfeedthebird
02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
my problem is losing my phone.

Wheres the beef?
02-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I have Virgin Mobile, which uses the T-Mobile network, and I've never had serious issues at Coachella. My boyfriend has AT&T and service was pretty slow for him.

For that matter, Virgin Mobile is a pretty good option when it comes to prepaid phones... most US cell phone companies don't offer many prepaid phone options, but Virgin is a bit better about that (I'm guessing because they're based in the UK, where prepaid/pay-as-you-go phones are more common?)

You can buy prepaid phones at 7-11.

brfilora
02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
not all of us wanna be tracked to where we are on the polo fields via gps..

This was a sarcastic comment in regards to Faxman75's post that it was always assumed that everyone has an iPhone.

lau-lau
02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Loving dontfeedthebird's quote, "At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

Thanks for the input guys. I'll just grab a cheap phone hopefully I can at least text - if not, no drama - there's no point sticking to your mates like sh*t to a blanket - plenty of new friends to be made.

Rockeropaisa
02-08-2010, 01:08 AM

Virgin Mobile in the USA uses Sprint network. I have gone to coachella the past 2 years with good service from VirginMobile USA.