PDA

View Full Version : New Crystal Castles album in March?

metalfag
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
So i've heard, can't wait! Hahaha that'd be sick if they played again this year, but i don't know shit and i know that isn't going to happen

ADrunkPoet
02-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Feels just like yesterday that their self titled album came out. Surprised their sophomore release didn't take longer.

Though I guess putting the soundtrack to an 8 bit Castlevania on fast forward does not take all the that much time.

guedita
02-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Feels just like yesterday that their self titled album came out. Surprised their sophomore release didn't take longer.

Though I guess putting the soundtrack to an 8 bit Castlevania on fast forward does not take all the that much time.

Neither does high pitched screaming.

juloxx
02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Crystal Castles live was my biggest Coachella dissapointment. The techno music they were playing was dope, but they had this annoying ass woman shouting and screaming the whole fucking set. I was sooo confused as to what the fuck she thought she was doing. I dont know if she was trying to MC (whatever she was doing was as far from rapping or hyping the crowd as possible) or what. But god damn it was awful.

Honestly if you are gonna scream and shout and ruin a set at least be hot

HandBanana
02-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I really dont get the hate for CC.
Saw em 3 times last year and it was like a breath of fresh air.
I cant put my finger on it but even tho they are derivative and possibly thieves, it all just feels so fresh and invigorating.

rage patton
02-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Crystal Castles were awesome at Bonnaroo. I don't get the hate either.

I also kind of love Alice.

guedita
02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I liked their album and didn't hate their performance, but when Alice started her bit I felt like my ears were under sonic attack. I'm actually interested to see what direction this new album takes.

MantisMel
02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Saw CC twice and not by choice. FAIL... I could go the rest of my life knowing they will never play another show again, actually I hope that happens.

CrimesceneCookie
02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Don't get the hate? I don't get the love.
CC was the worst thing I ever saw at Coachella.

YIP YIP YIP! YIP YIP YIP!!!!!

rage patton
02-02-2010, 10:11 AM
To me, they sounded exactly like they do on album. Alice's screams are no different live.

If you don't like Crystal Castles on album, you won't like them live. If you like their album, you should like them live.

hawkingvsreeve
02-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Nope.

I enjoy the record a great deal. Their show here in SD was one of 5 I have walked out on in my life.

Just sayin'.

BlackSwan
02-02-2010, 10:15 AM
They are terrible live, but the album was ok. The best song on it was an uncredited cover though, so yeah.

HandBanana
02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I suspect theres something else to the hate.

Usually when people think someone sucks, they dont get terribly worked up about it.
But with CC theres this incredible polarization. People love to hate them, cliche as that is to say

Aurgasm
02-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I really dont get the hate for CC.
Saw em 3 times last year and it was like a breath of fresh air.
I cant put my finger on it but even tho they are derivative and possibly thieves, it all just feels so fresh and invigorating.

When/where did you see them?

Crystal Castles were awesome at Bonnaroo. I don't get the hate either.

I also kind of love Alice.

the videos i just attempted to watch showed the same disgusting shrieking pig of a woman. Ethan Kath would have a way more successful career if someone put that bitch out of her misery.

stinkbutt
02-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I saw them before she had her accident here and they were great but at Coachella I walked away after half a song so maybe busting her ribs did something

HandBanana
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Coach. BFD. Lolla.

Aurgasm
02-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Usually when people think someone sucks, they dont get terribly worked up about it.
But with CC theres this incredible polarization. People love to hate them, cliche as that is to say

I HATE CC for a number of reasons. Firstly, Alice Glass is terrible and should be banned from using microphones or any other voice amplifying equipment. Secondly, CC played the last set of the doomed HARD Summer (aka..Underworld). I've never seen anything worse in my life. I'd watch a million Steve Aoki and Ting Ting sets before wasting time on that miserable cunt.

HandBanana
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Kinda proved my point there dude

brando4n82
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
BOO. FLAG. FAIL. DELETE.

Aurgasm
02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Coach. BFD. Lolla.

You thought CRYSTAL CASTLES was a breath of fresh air at Coachella?

It was like watching an acid crazed schoolgirl get murdered on stage with Mario Bros. music playing in the background. With that said, I obviously did not stay for the entire set.

rskapcat
02-02-2010, 10:26 AM
For Josh:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs230.snc1/7722_1206213950100_1071181233_638100_6212079_n.jpg

HandBanana
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
It was like watching an acid crazed schoolgirl get murdered on stage with Mario Bros. music playing in the background.

Im trying to imagine a scenario where that doesnt sound awesome.

I cant.

djandrews25
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
People passionately hate her because she keeps getting booked for good events, and is possibly the worst vocalist to ever perform.

HandBanana
02-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I'll take Crystal Castles acid and amphetamine psychosis over yet another bland, brown construction-paper-and-yarn indie folk twat-yammer act any day of the week.

juloxx
02-02-2010, 10:36 AM
You thought CRYSTAL CASTLES was a breath of fresh air at Coachella?

It was like watching an acid crazed schoolgirl get murdered on stage with Mario Bros. music playing in the background. With that said, I obviously did not stay for the entire set.

http://www.fnmeng.info/Pictures/%5BH%5Dard%20Pictures/i%20lol%27d%20plane.jpg

rage patton
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
For Josh:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs230.snc1/7722_1206213950100_1071181233_638100_6212079_n.jpg

:cat

Nope.

I enjoy the record a great deal. Their show here in SD was one of 5 I have walked out on in my life.

Just sayin'.

I am assuming this was because of Alice, correct? Or what is the music? Or was it both? I am curious.

Everyone I heard has said she sound like a dying cat on stage. Well, I was expecting her vocals to be horrible at Bonnaroo... and they sounded just like they do on album. Maybe I just got lucky and saw a great show.

unknown
02-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I would never waste my time trying to see them live. I trust the youtube vids and reviews of others to stay the fuck away from that noise. I really like the album too but will never watch a single show.

Aurgasm
02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Im trying to imagine a scenario where that doesnt sound awesome.

I cant.

Agree to disagree?

WhyTheLongFace
02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I'll take Crystal Castles acid and amphetamine psychosis over yet another bland, brown construction-paper-and-yarn indie folk twat-yammer act any day of the week.

Yup. I'm excited for a new CC record

HandBanana
02-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Agree to disagree?

Lol its cool.

Im not saying anyone is right or wrong, Im just fascinated by the type and level of vitriol they engender in people.

PotVsKtl
02-02-2010, 12:16 PM

It's cliched because it's a stupid fucking statement.

HandBanana
02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Then prove it wrong. They get a different breed of heated flack than a lot of acts around here.

zajaa
02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Coach. BFD. Lolla.

saw them DESTROY bfd when they closed down the electronic tent, while all the wankers were at the main stage watching 'the offspring'. pfffft. absolutely killed it live. 5000x better performance than at coachella.

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
To me, they sounded exactly like they do on album. Alice's screams are no different live.

If you don't like Crystal Castles on album, you won't like them live. If you like their album, you should like them live.

I really liked the album.

Couldn't even stay in the Sahara for 1 fucking song. Not kiddin'.

And she did sound like a cat getting raped by a horse.

PotVsKtl
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Then prove it wrong. They get a different breed of heated flack than a lot of acts around here.

Prove what wrong? Your imagination? People give them flack because they were horrifically bad live at Coachella, the festival this message board is set up to discuss.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I take it that most people who hate on Alice's live performance don't screaming vocals in general. I listen to and see a LOT of bands with vocals that are primarily high pitched screams and growls, so CC live is nothing new for me. It didn't seem strange at all, actually. I quite enjoyed it.

RedThom
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Alice Glass runs around and screams on stage. Alice Glass takes no part in the music creation of Crystal Castles. Alice Glass makes a shit load of money for not staying in tune.

She beat the system. Kudos

Devin the Dude
he was great when Alice Glass was in the hospital not touring with him.

Gribbz
Pretty good album, awful live. We left after about 2 songs. Caught some of NASA before heading to Leonard Cohen.

digitaldragon03
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I dont like her screaming vocals live because they are at the forefront. On the album they are nicely mixed into the songs. It completely changes the mood of the music from catchy electro-pop to some sort of crappy punk show.

beavington
02-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Thats not true, i liked their album but live they were god awful. I would hvae to say even worse than MIA the year before inthe Sahara

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Pretty good album, awful live. We left after about 2 songs. Caught some of NASA before heading to Leonard Cohen.

As I said in an old thread, leaving Crystal Castles and suddenly walking into the Mojave when N.A.S.A. was about to start was the best decision on Friday 09.

ballroomdancer22
02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
god crystal castles are awful.

who wants to put money down alice glass dies of winhehousing?

guedita
02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Wow I just found out that Crystal Castles has their own message board/forum. Most online users ever: 50.

pancakespancakes
02-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Hahahahaha. I knew before I opened this thread what the 2 pages were really about.

I'm getting sick of discussing whether or not Crystal Castles are amazing or terrible live, but one always assumes the extreme opinion about their live show, and that's worth noting. I happen to think their live shows are pretty much perfect, and perhaps superior to their recorded work if they were comparable, but I really look forward to their new album... I only see these guys getting better right now. Their new songs live are better than their old ones.

Josh, you didn't just see a good show at Bonnaroo. It was the same as Coachella. You're like me, you love their style of performance.

alleysin
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I'd like to know what has been heard about the new album? Anyone?

I think they are love em or hate em but I didnt need to say that.

I love listening to the album. They weren't that memorable of an act for me last year so, meh I cant have any valid point on that ...

juloxx
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I think CC has a great sound, which they stole (see lawsuit). That being said, I still would like to hear a new album.

When it comes to Live performances, they are just dreadful.

ldobbie
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
i really loved crystal castles last year, they were perfect imo. the HARD summer show was surreal, they just belted out the most abrasive shit ever to a bunch of kandy ravers and they were all freaked out by it, there were almost no lights and everyone was just NOT into it at all, made the perfect moody atmosphere for their type of music.

metalfag
02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
I think Crystal Castles live is definitely a hit or miss (depending on your music tastes if you don't like them and are gonna go with the raped-cat-vocals- card then yeah you're gonna hate them live), I fucking loved their set at coachella, alice definitely did not seem to amaze me. However HARD was a different story, 30 min of white noise is bullshit. If you think they are bad live check out the song yes no live, hopefully it will change your opinion

bmack86
02-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I think Jared and I agreed when we saw them at ATP that it just felt like schtick. I don't mind screaming, I don't mind abrasion in music whatsoever, but it just seemed like a fairly amateur performance that really wasn't worth my time at all. Boris sounded better, and No Age with Bob Mould clearly trumped the end of their set.

boarderwoozel3
02-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I think Jared and I agreed when we saw them at ATP that it just felt like schtick. I don't mind screaming, I don't mind abrasion in music whatsoever, but it just seemed like a fairly amateur performance that really wasn't worth my time at all. Boris sounded better, and No Age with Bob Mould clearly trumped the end of their set.

That's probably the most accurate description I've heard.

rage patton
02-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I was actually surprised by how commanding of a stage presence Alice had when I saw them.

However... I am bored by this. Pancakes, Drinkey, Handbanana and I will continue to enjoy them. I guess I am still a little confused as to how so many people can like them on album and hate them live, when really they sound basically the same... but I really don't care anymore.

BKsaysAction!
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I loved that part where she was like raaaah raaaah raaaah rah rah rah rhaaaaaaaaaaah or that other time where she was went rooooooo raaa raaa rah rah rah. I think those were the lyrics but that's what I heard.

OutOfmYminD
02-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I dont like her screaming vocals live because they are at the forefront. On the album they are nicely mixed into the songs. It completely changes the mood of the music from catchy electro-pop to some sort of crappy punk show.

QFT. I kept turning around because I thought someone behind me was screeching in my ear. Just turn the vocals down and the show probably would have been fine.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Hahahahaha. I knew before I opened this thread what the 2 pages were really about.

I'm getting sick of discussing whether or not Crystal Castles are amazing or terrible live, but one always assumes the extreme opinion about their live show, and that's worth noting. I happen to think their live shows are pretty much perfect, and perhaps superior to their recorded work if they were comparable, but I really look forward to their new album... I only see these guys getting better right now. Their new songs live are better than their old ones.

Josh, you didn't just see a good show at Bonnaroo. It was the same as Coachella. You're like me, you love their style of performance.

I still remember you recognizing me for the first time, just at the end of that set and us both saying, "that shit was fucking intense!!!"

I was definitely into it. Being in the middle of that insane crowd added to it though.

DFrank
02-03-2010, 01:41 AM
On album-pretty good
Live-Saw them at Coachella last year towards the end of their set and not impressed. Maybe if i was in the front i would have gotten into it...

I have a feeling that their next album is going to be more pop-ier. They'll get a producer that will tone it down and make it more accessible.

WhyTheLongFace
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I only saw them once and it was fun fun

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2MCzNJGK6M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2MCzNJGK6M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aY6dSrcUIN4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aY6dSrcUIN4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

alleysin
02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I have a feeling that their next album is going to be more pop-ier. They'll get a producer that will tone it down and make it more accessible.

I can definately see this happening.

metalfag
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM

ex-fucking-actly

PotVsKtl
02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Nice to know that those are the only two options in music. Fucking morons.

shermanoaksyo
02-06-2010, 11:26 PM
My vote is for a Crystal Castles live sex show in 2011, feat. alice glass moaning into a vocoder