PDA

View Full Version : Late arrival situation

parfait
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM
I've searched for key words and found nothing, so here we go.

I am a Coachella veteran, however this year I don't get to come hang out early as my chem.e professor has decided to have a midterm on the 16th.

I'm flying into PSP at 4:30 on the Friday (sad face), and was wondering what the parking-lot/off ramp traffic will be like late in the afternoon. I've never arrived that late before, and was wondering if you still have to wait for ages to get near the polo fields.

My group is car camping, and thus none of them will be able to come pick me up, and I'm also not old enough to rent a car (and I don't want to pay for another car camping spot). My current plan is a taxi, and I'd like to know if I'd be able to get to somewhat of a close proximity to the fields, or if I should just be dropped off a few miles away and just walk.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

bluemamba
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah dude just walk. And dont drink water.

insbordnat
02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I'd be willing to bet $1,021,598 that if there is a lot of traffic you could probably walk and someone would let you "ride" in unless you'd rather walk it. It all depends how bad the traffic is I suppose.

Unless you look like a rapist. Then you're walking for sure.

parfait
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I'd be willing to bet $1,021,598 that if there is a lot of traffic you could probably walk and someone would let you "ride" in unless you'd rather walk it. It all depends how bad the traffic is I suppose.

Thanks,

I suppose a better question would be has anyone arrived this late in the afternoon before? I'm fine with walking a couple miles, I'm just trying to plan out how close I need to get before I hop out of the cab without running up a fee by sitting in traffic. I would hike with carpoolchella people, but I'd assume they'd all be at the festival by 4:30, and none of them would be coming from the airport.

flowbee
02-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks,

I suppose a better question would be has anyone arrived this late in the afternoon before? I'm fine with walking a couple miles, I'm just trying to plan out how close I need to get before I hop out of the cab without running up a fee by sitting in traffic. I would hike with carpoolchella people, but I'd assume they'd all be at the festival by 4:30, and none of them would be coming from the airport.

Last year on Friday, we left at about 2:30 PM and spent well over 2 hours in traffic in what must have been just a 3-4 mile stretch of road by the polo fields trying to get into one of the parking lots. I think it was after 5PM by the time we got to the gates. Walking is not a bad idea

parfait
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Last year on Friday, we left at about 2:30 PM and spent well over 2 hours in traffic in what must have been just a 3-4 mile stretch of road by the polo fields trying to get into one of the parking lots. I think it was after 5PM by the time we got to the gates. Walking is not a bad idea

Great! Thank you!

OnlyNonStranger
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Why don't you just take the midterm early? None of my uni profs were agaisnt it when I needed to.

I did go to a state school though.

DFrank
02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I think its because you went to a state school.

I'd say try parking farther away and walking if there are bands you want to see before 7. Friday is kind of a shitstorm waiting to get in with your car.

parfait
02-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Why don't you just take the midterm early? None of my uni profs were agaisnt it when I needed to.

I did go to a state school though.

It was pretty clear in my syllabus that if I couldn't take the midterms those days, I couldn't take the class, so there isn't much of a debate there. And yes to the state school, I go to Berkeley.

Tough shit for me though, most of the stuff I want to see will most likely be early. Right now the plan is to fly into PSP, take a cab to the general area, then walk 3-4 miles, not a huge deal, probably quicker than waiting in line. Only reason I can't be picked up is because my group is car camping, and I'm too young for a rental.

Thanks for the help everyone.

jimmycrackcorn
02-01-2010, 10:55 PM
in case you didn't already notice here's somebody in a similar situation...
maybe you two could help each other out
-shrugs-
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36495

parfait
02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
in case you didn't already notice here's somebody in a similar situation...
maybe you two could help each other out
-shrugs-
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36495

Awesome! Thanks!

Gypsy Girl
02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Come late, leave early...just like church

superfiction
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
ive walked all the way to that safeway by the polo fields. but that was at night. and that was cuz none of you assholes would pick me up when i was hitch hiking

billtino
02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
ive walked all the way to that safeway by the polo fields. but that was at night. and that was cuz none of you assholes would pick me up when i was hitch hiking

See previous post for answer...