PDA

View Full Version : Save the Outdoor Theater, Move The Do Lab!!

crombrenner
01-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Ok, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I would like to start a thread dedicated to saving the Outdoor Theater. The bleed over of the bass from the Do Lab kills the sound at the Outdoor. What happened to the Fleet Foxes last year was downright tragic. So many good bands play on the outdoor, but yet unless you're up close (which I usually am) the friggin Gobi has better sound. Move the Do Lab where the dome was last year, turn it down, or just fucking get rid of it. There's enough electronic music on the Sahara. Who's with me?

mcskye
01-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Fleet Foxes killed the Fleet Foxes. Like the CD, but their sucking on the outdoor theater had nothing to do with the Do Lab.

GrossMagic
01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
http://www.m3nt0r.de/blog/wp-content/photos/KillYourself.jpg

crombrenner
01-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Fleet Foxes killed the Fleet Foxes. Like the CD, but their sucking on the outdoor theater had nothing to do with the Do Lab.

Fine, but don't you agree that the bleed over from the do lab is rediculous?

heart cooks brain
01-30-2010, 08:06 PM
what's "rediculous" is how many people misspell rIdiculous

crombrenner
01-30-2010, 08:09 PM
what's "rediculous" is how many people misspell rIdiculous

I always do that, what a dipshit I am!! Guess that makes my point invalid.

Jankypirate
01-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Seriously?? I have never had this problem for anyone I actually cared to see because Im up front not WAAY back by the do lab.

Not only are the water shows a great way to cool down in the heat, they really do have some good DJs.

I say HELL NO to that idea. the Do Lab would be sorely missed.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c126/jankypirate/Forum%20Pictures/wtf.jpg

Davids81
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Is the "do lab" the group of morons dancing and completely missing the entire goddamn concert? If so, then I will give my support of moving the Do Lab.

...Offsite might be a valid option as well... since the people in there are obviously uninterested in what the 5 stages have going on.

/Hatred for the Do Lab

Shooters08
01-30-2010, 09:09 PM
All the do lab is good for is the water they shoot out at you when it's 100+ degrees outside. It's cool but not necessary for Coachella

getbetter
01-30-2010, 09:16 PM
The 09 Do Lab is on the back of the flyers for this year.

CoachellaBlood
01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
The only reason I wouldn't mind ridding of the Do Lab is because it scares me at night :|

brycerosen
01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Do lab is pronounced do lab

tessalasset
01-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Last year the Do Lab bass was kind of killing Band of Horses for me, so I walked in closer, right behind the sound board, and it was incredible. They have a bunch of extra speakers posted all around there for the people in the back. I got between those speakers and it's never sounded better to me. You just gotta move around til you find a good spot.

whynotsmile99
01-30-2010, 11:35 PM
i'd rather get rid of the outdoor stage and make the Do Lab bigger, personally

WhyTheLongFace
01-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Do lab is pronounced do lab

hahahaha this made me laugh

nbvcide
01-31-2010, 12:07 AM
they don't need to move anything, all they need to do is turn the do lab down a little..

nobody has ever stood in the do lab and said, 'wow, i wished they'd turn it up louder in here, i can't hear over what's on the Outdoor theater'..

€uroMeinke
01-31-2010, 12:09 AM
The Do Lab is one of the reasons I keep coming back

FoxeyLady
01-31-2010, 08:40 AM
I support this times a million. I don't want them to get rid of the Do Lab, just move it further away from the outdoor theatre or turn it down a little. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArcadeParade
01-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Do lab is in a nice central location imo

zajaa
01-31-2010, 09:10 AM
The sound pollution at outdoor stage comes from the main stage in my experience. And it did interfere with fleet foxes, one of the more outstanding sets last year. To the dildo who said 'fleet foxes killed fleet foxes', kindly sodomize yourself with a four foot tall floor-mounted fiberglass phallus

FoxeyLady
01-31-2010, 09:43 AM
I was standing on the mainstage side of the outdoor theatre and the soundbleed from the Do Lab was what totally ruined Fleet Foxes for me. As well as a few other performances at the outdoor that weekend. Seriously FUCK THAT NOISE.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Dumb side to stand on.

alex gardner
01-31-2010, 09:47 AM
i agree with the op, the do lab gets the bass thumping like a motherfucker at night, and the bleed over to the outdoor theater is fucking terrible. it's easy to say "just move to the front", but when you want to get to another stage at a certain time, fighting through the crowd doesn't help that cause. turn that son of a bitch down or move it.

FoxeyLady
01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Dumb side to stand on.

I also stood in other places where the do lab sound bleed affected me. But for FF it was the mainstage side. The mainstage didn't really seem to be a problem though, just the do lab.

marfawkah02
01-31-2010, 10:33 AM
The sound pollution at outdoor stage comes from the main stage in my experience. And it did interfere with fleet foxes, one of the more outstanding sets last year. To the dildo who said 'fleet foxes killed fleet foxes', kindly sodomize yourself with a four foot tall floor-mounted fiberglass phallus

funny cuz fleet foxes actually DID sodomize themselves with a four foot tall floor-mounted fiberglass phallus. cnt you tell?

thagorillaz
01-31-2010, 10:56 AM
I <3 the Do Lab. Saying that the people in the Do Lab dont want to be at the festival is silly. The Do Lab is my meeting place, cooling place, and place to go when there is no one i want to see. I can dance all I want and never get tired in the do lab because of the mist, and the splashing.

To me the Do Lab is the essence of coachella. The people that run it are really nice, and they provide great vibes.

I do think its in a pretty good place, but if its bleeding into the outdoor theater, move it a little i guess.

But please god dont get rid of it.

-tim

FoxeyLady
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
^ Yeah, agreed. I LOVE the Do Lab but it shouldn't detract from the enjoyment of another stage, especially a bigger one.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
more like the don't lab

ADrunkPoet
01-31-2010, 03:28 PM
I <3 the Do Lab. Saying that the people in the Do Lab dont want to be at the festival is silly. The Do Lab is my meeting place, cooling place, and place to go when there is no one i want to see. I can dance all I want and never get tired in the do lab because of the mist, and the splashing.

To me the Do Lab is the essence of coachella. The people that run it are really nice, and they provide great vibes.

I do think its in a pretty good place, but if its bleeding into the outdoor theater, move it a little i guess.

-tim

This.

I don't see the point of ridiculing people who want to spend all of their time at the Do Lab, checking out the art, or doing any of the other numerous things going on at Coachella that has nothing to do with the five main stages.

If someone wants to dance at the Do Lab all weekend, so fucking be it.

crombrenner
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM

-tim

Listen, I get that people love the do lab and have a great time hanging out there. But for the greater good of the festival it needs to be moved. Even 50 yards back towards the food stands would make all the difference for the Outdoor theater. Just put it where the tesla coil is and move the art over to where the do lab is. Problem solved.

ADrunkPoet
01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Listen, I get that people love the do lab and have a great time hanging out there. But for the greater good of the festival it needs to be moved. Even 50 yards back towards the food stands would make all the difference for the Outdoor theater. Just put it where the tesla coil is and move the art over to where the do lab is. Problem solved.

You should start your own festival, since you are clearly the master at organizing them.

That or consider a career in interior design.

FoxeyLady
01-31-2010, 04:53 PM
He does have a point though. The Do Lab just needs to be moved a little bit, nothing crazy. Hopefully they figure out a solution this year.

ADrunkPoet
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Replace the Gobi tent with the Kroq tent. Problem solved.

Hooray Coachella.

CiderMouseRules
01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
I vote we firebomb the Douche Lab and move their hoses to the front of the outdoor stage.

iammrcandyman
01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Is the "do lab" the group of morons dancing and completely missing the entire goddamn concert? If so, then I will give my support of moving the Do Lab.

...Offsite might be a valid option as well... since the people in there are obviously uninterested in what the 5 stages have going on.

/Hatred for the Do Lab

Is the "do lab" the group of morons dancing and completely missing the entire goddamn concert?

morons dancing and completely missing the entire goddamn concert?

I pity your confused soul.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-31-2010, 05:39 PM
y'all will be receiving your kick in the nuts within 5 business days.

crombrenner
02-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Hey PF, is there any chance of the do lab actually moving a bit to kill the sound bleed? Coachella seems to improve every year and this seems like an obvious one. Any chance?

alex gardner
02-01-2010, 05:43 AM
You should start your own festival, since you are clearly the master at organizing them.

That or consider a career in interior design.

guess what asshole, he has a point. have you ever attended coachella? have you ever been watching one of your favorite bands play on the outdoor theater, and as great as it is, it's hard to hear from the thumping ass bass coming from a "stage" that is far too close? this isn't a new issue, and there are plenty of people who have addressed this before the original poster or myself.

M Sparks
02-01-2010, 05:58 AM
In 07, they had both The Do Lab AND the Dome in that same general area, and the bleed was pretty minimal. But The Do Lab was pretty small that year. I think they could just turn it down a tad

Davids81
02-01-2010, 06:09 AM
I pity your confused soul.

Now, don't take my quote out of context... I wasn't implying that by "dancing" that these morons are missing the entire goddamn concert...

...I was actually implying that: for the past few years, I can remember walking past this loud monstrosity several times per day, and seeing the crowd, oblivious to the festival around them. This isn't between sets Fountains of Wayne and Yeva... (something I personally wouldn't mind missing) but between sets of conflict... TGTB&TQ and the Black Keys... and we're at the fucking Do Lab??? :nono

n3glect
02-01-2010, 07:03 AM
The location of the Do Lab is obnoxious. It needs about half the bass bins it has, and unfortunately, when the wind blows, it carries the sound in the direction of either the main or outdoor stages. Hopefully with the addition of camping to the festival site, the whole geography of the field will be rethought.

Jankypirate
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
and unfortunately, when the wind blows, it carries the sound in the direction of either the main or outdoor stages.

Ummm, wind blows sound now? If the laws of physics are breaking down who cares where the Do Lab is?!?!?

Seriously though you are blowing this way out of proportion. Sure moving it back a bit is fine, I dont think necessary at all but it couldn't hurt.

And dont hate on people who decide to dance in the coolest(temperature) area of the entire field to some great music just because YOU THINK they should be watching some other band they obviously have no desire to see.

To each their own. You can go see whoever you like. And if you really want to see whoevers on the main stage so bad, get up closer! If you like them that much why are you WAAAAY back by the do lab??

Darth_Bater
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
To each their own. You can go see whoever you like. And if you really want to see whoevers on the main stage so bad, get up closer!

I think we are talking about the outdoor stage...but anyways.

Sound bleed was pretty bad for Band of Horses on the outdoor stage last year as well. Perhaps they can just time the Dj's playing the Do Lab and the bands on the Outdoor stage better, so they do not overlap.

Jankypirate
02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I think we are talking about the outdoor stage...but anyways.

Ah my mistake, well that atleast makes sense. Well yeah move the do lab farther away and problem solved! Dont get rid of it though! Its my favorite cool-off/bowl smoking spot!

greghead
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Ummm actually, wind does affect sound, as per the laws of physics. Wind creates resistance that sound waves must pass through, which slightly distorts the frequency, amplitude, or direction of the sound waves. Use the google machine if you don't believe.

Do Lab kicks ass, but if it continues to get bigger and louder each year, something will have to be done to correct the sound bleed.

nbvcide
02-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Ummm, wind blows sound now?

Yes. Yes it does.

nbvcide
02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey PF, is there any chance of the do lab actually moving a bit to kill the sound bleed?
He does have a point though. The Do Lab just needs to be moved a little bit, nothing crazy.

moving it wouldn't do shit, it just needs to be turned down... a tad.

Jankypirate
02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
No, no it doesnt. It does effect it but if anything it reduces the distance it will travel or distorts it. Wind definitely does not push the waves along further though.

greghead
02-01-2010, 05:35 PM
No, no it doesnt. It does effect it but if anything it reduces the distance it will travel or distorts it. Wind definitely does not push the waves along further though.

Again, you're wrong.

Will wind alter the direction of sound waves? Yes, this is proven fact. Will a tailwind push sound waves to their destination a nano-second sooner? Yes(thus, they are being pushed slightly further by the air currents). Obviously we're not talking about miles and miles, merely inches, but that doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

Feel free to use google if you don't believe me.

heart cooks brain
02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
^ He's right. Try yelling into the wind, then with it. See if your voice travels the same distance at the same volume.

I'll save you the experiment. It doesnt.

KickerConspiracy
02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I am also on board with moving the Do Lab. Except for the parking, there was too much bleed over bass during shows at the outdoor (lykke li, band of horses, paul weller and fleet foxes were a few I remember).

Either turn it down, move it back toward the concessions, or over by the dome or behind the Sahara. Turning it down would probably be the easiest.

bluemamba
02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
All the do lab is good for is the water they shoot out at you when it's 100+ degrees outside. It's cool but not necessary for Coachella
Are you kidding me?? The do lab brings good vibes. people in there dancing and laughing and celebrating is whats cool when i walk by there. Reminds me of spring break with all the girls with little clothing getting wet and dancing. What the fuck is wrong with some of you?

-tim

Exactly. Whats next?? want to get rid of the art stuff too??

FoxeyLady
02-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Chill out people. Nobody is saying it should be done away with, just adjusted so it doesn't affect the outdoor theatre as much.

sacleonard
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
http://lolcat.com/images/lolcats/533.jpg

ADrunkPoet
02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
guess what asshole, he has a point. have you ever attended coachella? have you ever been watching one of your favorite bands play on the outdoor theater, and as great as it is, it's hard to hear from the thumping ass bass coming from a "stage" that is far too close? this isn't a new issue, and there are plenty of people who have addressed this before the original poster or myself.

Boo fucking hoo. Try getting closer to the stage or chill by a speaker stack.

quicksand
02-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Fucking move it please. Put it by the Sahara those people are easily amused they won't mind.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
ITT: Cry babies

alex gardner
02-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Boo fucking hoo. Try getting closer to the stage or chill by a speaker stack.

you are a ****** who has obviously never attended coachella. go fuck yourself.

dr. lufs, you are also a ******, one that is more than likely less than 19 years of age.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
oh c'mon man, at least come up with something new to say when you try to insult me.

nbvcide
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM

you're right, that's why it's so loud in space... because of all the air