PDA

View Full Version : Going Solo?

KatieDid
01-29-2010, 10:15 PM
So, I just found out about Coachella (I'm an Australian on exchange to the states this semester) - I'm going, but I don't know anybody else who wants to go, so I guess I'm going by myself.

I'm in the Bay Area (Oakland), so I guess trying to find a carpool is probably the way to go?

What about camping? I'd like to camp, but I don't want to buy a tent, haul it down there, and then pay for a whole camp site for myself. I'm more than happy to chip in with a camping buddy/ies though. Where do I find such a thing?

Anything else I should know about going by myself? I've mentioned it to a few people and they've all been slightly aghast at the prospect.

myelectrolife
01-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Check out the "camp all alone club" here on the forum. Im goin solo too, I met up with them in 08 and had a blast! There will be a TON of people drivng from the bay area so just keep asking here on the forum. Also I think there is a specific "carpool" thread on here somewhere.

matildawong
01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi. There are a ton of people who go to Coachella alone. There are quite a few threads that address the very issue. There's a camping alone thread, even. I've seen a few carpool/camp-share request threads, too. Take a look through the threads here or do a search.
If you go, have a great time. I've never been alone myself but I've considered it. It's a great festival.

ballroomdancer22
01-29-2010, 10:22 PM
looking like that for me as well

M Sparks
01-29-2010, 10:27 PM
There are sections in this forum for both carpooling and camping. There are camp groups specifically for people coming alone, but it's been made more complicated by the new car camping rules.

I actually considered telling my wife I wanted to go alone this year...you get to see exactly what you want to see, and it's easier to get around if you're not trying to keep a group together. But she started getting excited about it a few weeks ago, so I didn't have the heart.

Go make some new friends in the camp/carpool sections and get ready to have a great time!

Rumforever
01-29-2010, 10:35 PM
yea hit up the Bay Area Carpool in the Carpooling section. You'll probably be able to get a ride with them. Im trying to get some friends to come down with me from the bay area myself. and Im sure you could find someone to find to share a tent/campsite with by talking to people on the forums. Good Luck!

emtgreg
01-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Australian girls are ALWAYS welcome :)

edit: Australians are ALWAYS welcome!!

KatieDid
01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
So I should make sure I'm wearing some item of australian apparel then, so as to be easily identified? Perhaps an akubra? Should I go full ocker?

nbvcide
01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

i think your accent is what's gonna get it done.. but seriously, if you're friendly enough, find some of your kind of people, who happen to have plenty of extra space and make some friends..

paddy
01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm female and in my 40s - never been to a festival before. Oh and I'd need to fly half way across the world. Don't want to camp - prefer to go to a hotel. Will need to decide and book soon. Can anyone offer any help or insights to help me make a decision one way or another please?

mountmccabe
01-31-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a bad feeling about this.

emtgreg
01-31-2010, 09:58 PM
It is a truly not a good thing if the Dark Lord has a bad feeling...

Panda421
01-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Hey Katie, my friends and I are heading down from the East Bay. We have a mini van so we got the space. PM if your interested.

IRSCOTT
02-01-2010, 12:23 AM
No one with the you gonna get raped pic yet? dissapointing...

tessalasset
02-01-2010, 01:28 AM
i wish they had a "camping alone" thread back in 2004. i camped alone then. it was fun though because it made me reach out and talk to people i'd normally be too nervous to approach.

donkey sex
02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
http://teesbox.com/images/hand-solo-big.jpg

May the force be with you

karmakid
04-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Im heading there myself with no one tagging along... care to say hello while your down.. No sense in walking around the desert all alone...
My name is Anthony btw...
So.Cal native...

Cheddar's Cousin
04-08-2010, 06:45 AM
call me...

thagorillaz
04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
youll have a real easy time finding someone to camp with i think. bring goodies to share!
enjoy coachella!
-tim