PDA

View Full Version : Impossible to Get to and from event from PALM DESERT HOTELS???

yellowtango
01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
I am planning to stay at a hotel in the Palm Desert (the Marriott Desert Palms) If I will a) even to be able to get a cab to the event during the chaos of the weekend??
and b) How much traffic will there be/ how much time should I allot to go the 12 miles from my hotel to the event??

Thank you!!!

invisiblerobots
01-29-2010, 08:47 PM
a) Are you resourceful in figuring out how to attend large events? b) Are your legs broken?

wewantmuse
01-30-2010, 03:33 AM
i stayed in cathedral city last year. the time it takes you to get out really depends how early you leave and what kind of a parking spot you get. we got a parking spot right by the exit and it took us ~5 minutes to get out around 1am. other nights though, you can expect an hour or more of traffic to get out.

once you get out of the clusterfuck, though, you won't have delays on the freeway/surface streets.

you might be able to get cabs (didn't try), but i wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it. you'll probably spend a shit ton just waiting.

Harrisment
01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Do what normal people do. Rent a car.

AbundantChoice
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Do *not* take a cab to and from Palm Springs to the event each day. It will be hellaciously expensive overall, and getting a cab back at the end of the festival each night will be difficult. Either rent a car, or figure out some way to find other people staying near you in Palm Springs that are also going to the festival and carpool.

One other alternative would be to use the hotel shuttle bus service that's linked to on the Coachella page: instead of cabbing all the way to the festival, just cab to one of the shuttle pickup hotels.

Norwalkguy
01-30-2010, 04:23 PM
last year i was trapped trying to go west East out of the festival, they way it happened i was forced out and couldnt go the way i wanted because all the traffic was blocked off. I was staying South East of the festival ( sort of behind it away from the fwy ) and the cops would not let me go anywhere close to where i needed to be ( I stayed off AVE 54 or something). It was terrible and i drove around with a car full of passed out people for an hour when i was staying a good 10 min drive from the festival. Awful. I ended up having to go all the way to Highway 111 and drive in a big circle around the venue. Horrible..

oh yeah so advice...: CAMP!

detfiL
01-30-2010, 07:04 PM
ull be fine if you leave early .I live in PD & i always leave at 8/9ish(am) i get there pretty quick barely any traffic haha. The worst time to leave is in the afternoon .

Suffacated
01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Does Marriott offer a shuttle service?

gaypalmsprings
01-30-2010, 07:23 PM
I wonder why the shuttle doesn't include the Desert Palms. Maybe put in a request to add it. Then you could buy a shuttle pass.