PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gabriel

sonnyboy11
01-28-2010, 06:39 PM
My favorite all time solo artist, Peter Gabriel, is returning to the US for a handful of shows supporting his new album of covers "Scratch My Back"

http://www.livedaily.com/news/peter-gabriel-tickets-and-tour-dates-peter-gabriel-carves-scratch-dates-21243.html

And of course the venue here in my hometown is none other than the venerable Hollywood Bowl! This will be an all orchestral set, or, as it is being promoted- the New Blood Tour - Peter Gabriel, orchestra, no drums, no guitar. There are also special packages for the EU shows announced that include access to sound checks (details here)

http://womadshop.com/detail/573

Finally, if you're curious about how some of these interpretations of other artist's songs might sound, here is his cover of Bowie's Heroes (warning- some sensitive footage of the Haitian earthquake aftermath)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrymLWdxQbQ

I don't normally do leaks, btw. But I have to say that "Listening Wind" is my favorite Talking Heads track. Sure would like to hear that one asap. The Bowl, some vino, Peter Gabriel... it will be good.

On a side note- the Bowl this year is getting some great artists. Gabriel, Chemical Brothers, Goldfrapp and (according to Chris) Grizzly Bear with LA Phil. LOVE THAT PLACE!

BobCaygeon
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Peter has done a 3-part podcast of the making of Scratch My Back. I've listened to the first two and they're pretty interesting. Here's a link to the third one:

http://www.petergabriel.com/news/archive/2010/01/22/Scratch_My_Back_Podcast_-episode_3

I subscribed in iTunes.

On first listen, the album has a single sound to it, but it you give it a chance a lot of nuances come out. At least that's what I thought hearing the podcast. I really liked The Book Of Love when it came out a couple years ago, and it's on this album too.

bmack86
01-28-2010, 07:52 PM
I love Peter Gabriel. That being said, Scratch My Back is his worst album since 4, if not 2. It's got some amazing moments, but there is that singular sound. And, some of the songs fall flat. The ones that are good soar, but the bad ones just drag.

Favorite Peter Gabriel album: GO!

I love 3. I could listen to 3 every day. Interesting thing to note: there are no cymbals on the whole thing. Gabriel wanted to have the low end covered by the drums and bass and the high end filled with bizarre instrumentation. The marimba sound on there is killer, and there is not a bad song. It's one of those underrecognized pieces of perfection that come along every once in awhile.

bballarl
01-29-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm a sucker for "So", but I love 3 and 2 and 1.

BobCaygeon
01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
worst album since 4

I just cannot fathom 4 being used near the word "worst".

bmack86
01-30-2010, 12:22 AM
It's relative. And, since 4 is how I view it. In my mind his oeurve would rank: 3, So, Us, 1, Up, 4, 2, new one.

I don't include the live albums or film scores, obviously.

TomAz
01-30-2010, 04:13 AM
I like 4. 4 is my second favorite, after 3.

BobCaygeon
01-30-2010, 07:08 AM
It's relative. And, since 4 is how I view it.

I'm over it now.

Back to the new album: I get the feeling it might not be considered canon. Years from now it might fall under statements like "I don't include live albums or cover albums". Still, I'm looking forward to hearing it and hoping it will reward multiple listens.

That's how Up ended up so high on my list: I didn't like it at first, but after a couple tours through iTunes it grew on me. Now it is in my top 3.

marfawkah02
01-30-2010, 07:59 AM
i liked genesis when he was in it. but his solo ish, not so much

sonnyboy11
01-30-2010, 09:39 AM
i liked genesis when he was in it. but his solo ish, not so much

Really? I think his solo stuff blows Genesis out of the water on almost every level. Far more evolved both musically and emotionally.

One PG album I really love that is often overlooked is OVO. Granted that is considered a "soundtrack" album, although it wasn't for a movie (like his amazing soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ). Gabriel actually performed several cuts from OVO on his 2003 tour regularly and I thought they were highlights. And he had even talked about re-recording it with him singing all the male vocal tracks.

Still, no on-sale date yet for the Bowl concert. :(

bmack86
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
I haven't listened to OVO. I need to check that out. And Big Blue Ball.

bballarl
01-30-2010, 11:07 AM
iLg-8Jxi5aE

sonnyboy11
01-30-2010, 11:16 AM
I haven't listened to OVO. I need to check that out. And Big Blue Ball.

I'd definitely give it a go. It has Liz Frasier all over it if you're a Cocteau Twins fan or a fan of her peformances on something like Massive Attack's Teardrop. Her voice is in top form on this record.

bmack86
01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Love Cocteau Twins. Sounds like something I'll have to seek out

MissingPerson
01-31-2010, 10:38 AM
There was an interview with him in the Sunday Times Culture magazine bit.

Notable bits:

The deal with Scratch My Back requires each of the artists whose song Gabriel has performed to reciprocate with a recording of one of Gabriel's own.

The horse trading needed to secure the agreement of all the participants held things up a bit. As we spoke, he still hadn't heard back from Thom Yorke, of Radiohead, whose Street Spirit closes the album, and he still didn't know what Arcade Fire's riposte to his dramatic reading of My Body Is A Cage would be.

One of Gabriel's favourite choices to cover was David Bowie's 1980 anthem Heroes. "Bowie didn't want to play - Brian Eno says David is not very interested in music any more. But because Eno was the co-writer, and performed on the track, we got away with it. He's recording In Your Eyes."

humanoid
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
I'd definitely give it a go. It has Liz Frasier all over it if you're a Cocteau Twins fan or a fan of her peformances on something like Massive Attack's Teardrop. Her voice is in top form on this record.

I never knew that...definitely sounds like something I need to check out

TallGuyCM
01-31-2010, 10:43 AM
So I've only really heard Peter Gabriel's radio hits. In Your Eyes, Sledgehammer, etc. I'm intrigued by his first 4 albums though, I think I'll give Melt a spin first.

bballarl
01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
3 is his best album TallGuy. In my opinion, it is interesting to listen to his albums in chronological order, so you can kind of chart his development and the creative arcs. Others may disagree though.

TallGuyCM
01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
3 is his best album TallGuy. In my opinion, it is interesting to listen to his albums in chronological order, so you can kind of chart his development and the creative arcs. Others may disagree though.

Maybe that's a better way to go about it. I'd love to see him live, too bad he's only playing with an orchestra AND the cheapest seat at the Bowl is $75. Fuck that.

bballarl
01-31-2010, 11:14 AM
That's how much tickets are? Ewwwwww. I was going to skip grad night for that shit, but definitely not for that price.

sonnyboy11
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
I'd take the listed prices for the event with a grain of salt right now. Not saying they won't turn out to be around $75, but these dates for Scratch My Back kinda came outta nowhere. Ultimately, I've gladly plunked down $75+ for bands I love before. And the Bowl is truly a terrific outdoor venue with the one caviat that people tend to be WAY to chatty during performances there for some reason.

sonnyboy11
02-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Quick fyi- posted ticket prices for the Hollywood Bowl have dropped as I suspected. Now $65. Radio City show is $54.50 so I think Bowl might see that price eventually.

Mr.Nipples
02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
more like peter gay-briel

suprefan
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Quick fyi- posted ticket prices for the Hollywood Bowl have dropped as I suspected. Now $65. Radio City show is $54.50 so I think Bowl might see that price eventually.

So a $10 drop means they are listening to people or something? Its still $200 up front....

http://www.billsilvaentertainment.com/event/2615/peter-gabriel/

bballarl
02-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I fucking love Peter Gabriel.

sonnyboy11
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
So a $10 drop means they are listening to people or something? Its still $200 up front....

http://www.billsilvaentertainment.com/event/2615/peter-gabriel/

Actually, I think that $200 will be for packages similar to what they're selling for the EU performances (access to sound check, free CD, etc). I think that Womad link in my initial post shows those.

And, no, I don't think they're listening to anybody right now. Do promoters ever listen to the public when it comes to ticket prices?

TomAz
02-04-2010, 11:25 AM
http://imgup.screenmaker.org/vip/soubor/ed3c6e69/peter-gabriel---plays-live-(disc-1)---front.jpg

I saw a show on this tour. It was fucking awesome.

TomAz
02-04-2010, 11:27 AM

I definitely agree with this. The artistic leap from 2 to 3 is a thing to behold.

amyzzz
02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Did someone say Liz Fraser? hmmm.

sonnyboy11
02-05-2010, 09:05 AM
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B004436AE006665?artistid=735139&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Pre-sale starts tomorrow, regular sale on Feb. 15th.

bballarl
02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm not much of an audiophile, though my ear is getting better in that sense. But fucking A, the difference between my 192kbps download of So on my shit speakers at school and my LP copy that I am listening to at home on my pretty good stereo is night and day. So much more density and sonic detail that I had never really noticed.

sonnyboy11
02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Second Bowl show added

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Peter-Gabriel-tickets/artist/735139?tm_link=edp_Artist_Name

sonnyboy11
05-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Was anyone else here at the Bowl last night for the New Blood Tour? Here's my quickie review from row 18, section F1-

So many highlights it's hard to know where to start! I was taken back by how well Peter's songs worked with just orchestra. I already figured songs like Signal To Noise and Washing of the Water would work with an orchestra only. But Darkness was even more menacing than the electric version and Digging in the Dirt felt transformed into a new song from previous versions. He did most (all?) of Scratch My Back for the first half before taking a brief intermission. I thought Talking Head's The Listening Wind was my fave there with Bowie's Heroes also being an outstanding moment.

The "New Blood" orchestra were fantastic and I believe consisted of LA Philharmonic players (aka the best in the business). Also, I have to say this about Peter's voice- there were several times I closed my eyes and just listened to it. So hard to believe he still sounds this good. There are no other vocalists in rock music who have been around as long as he has that still sound this way. I would even go so far as to say he sounded as good if not better last night than any of his shows I've seen this decade. Perfect tone and pitch. Damned amazing! Acoustically and musically it was the best show I have seen at the Bowl.

Visually the show did not feel stripped down in the least for a Peter Gabriel performance, even though there were only a handful of dates on this tour. I was hopeful someone here might have some pictures of the incredible front and back screens so please post if you do. There were a lot of highlights, including an "interactive" screen with a large hand on it manipulating things like dirt (during Digging in the Dirt) over Peter's singing image.

I know plenty of older generation "classic" rock artists like Roger Waters (who can't sing anymore) get plenty of play around these forums. But truthfully Peter Gabriel is at this point the best sounding singer of his generation. Even better than Bowie based on the last live recordings I heard out of him.

Final note (and this goes back to a comment I made in the Chemical Brothers @ The Bowl thread)- The one complaint I consistently have at Hollywood Bowl shows reared its head last night- THE TALKERS! For Peter's sake, there was a couple of girls behind me who could just not for the life of them shut their yaps! I mean, is everything SO funny in life that you cannot stop giggling for 2 seconds? Fortunately the lady next to me had enough about 20 minutes in and gave them a brow beating. It did not stop them altogether but it helped. Seriously people, I am not trying to ruin anyone's idea of a good time but last night was an off the hook amazing performance by a legend. if you were talking about your lousy job and the guy/girl you have a crush on while Pete was performing the Listening Wind, You = Fail At Life.

Great night overall! Love Peter Gabriel!

obzen
05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Fuck, I wish I had the time/funds for this.

imsorryforpictures
05-08-2010, 06:40 PM
for those of you who missed last nigts show, NO DRUMS, NO GUITAR, just a slamming 53+ piece ORCHESTRA!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rphzok-vXvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrVFRvh4-M

http://soundcloud.com/doitlikearobot/sets/peter-gabriel-and-the-new-blood-orchestra-live-at-the-hollywood-bowl

sonnyboy11
05-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for that sorryfornopics. I forgot about the Ode To Joy bit in Solsbury Hill- perfect!

sonnyboy11
05-08-2010, 07:21 PM
LA Times review

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/05/live-review-peter-gabriel-at-the-hollywood-bowl.html

bballarl
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Really bummed I missed this.

bballarl
05-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Now that I am watching all the videos, I am more than really bummed I missed this. Fuck.

BobCaygeon
05-15-2010, 03:26 PM
There's an audience recording of this on Dime right now.

I also recently downloaded a boot of a Lamb show, and there's now way PG could sing Back in NYC anymore, but I agree that his voice continues to be in fine form for his solo catalog.

bballarl
05-19-2010, 08:27 PM
His cover of "Heroes" totally kills me. Maybe this should go in the confessions thread.

daftmonkey64
05-19-2010, 09:44 PM
:)My Body Is A Cage

shotglass75
10-04-2011, 05:31 AM
Personally I think seeing Peter Gabriel on the Polo Fields would be pretty damn cool if he came with a full production.

http://www.nme.com/news/peter-gabriel/59580

Peter Gabriel's new album 'New Blood' has been made available to stream online a week ahead of its release (October 10) – scroll down and click below to hear it.

The former Genesis man has reimagined 12 of his classic tracks for the record, which follows 2010's covers album 'Scratch My Back'.

Songs such as 'Digging In The Dirt', 'Downside Up' and 'San Jacinto' have been reworked by composer and arranger John Metcalfe, alongside Gabriel and the 46 piece New Blood Orchestra, conducted by Ben Foster.??

The album also features a version of 'Solsbury Hill' which is preceded by 'A Quiet Moment' – five minutes of ambient sound recorded on Solsbury Hill, Somerset.

Gabriel has also re-recorded his 1986 single 'Don't Give Up' with singer Ane Brun.

He recently revealed that the original track was supposed to feature Dolly Parton, who turned down the guest spot. In the end he said he was "glad" to have completed the recording with Kate Bush instead.

sonnyboy11
10-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Nice :bump!

I saw both showings of New Blood in 3D at the Regal here in LA a few months back. That was an outstanding performance and the same one that will be on the Blu Ray release.

Polo Fields? Sure. Seem him outdoor many times. His music translates well into that type of environment. The recent SB Bowl being a great example of it.

At this point though, would like to see him do something similar to his Warm Up Summer tour of Europe a few years back when he did much of the Plays Live era stuff with full electric band. Flew UK-side for that one. Great show!

newalias
01-22-2013, 08:24 PM
"Bloom" (Released on Splash Screen earlier today) screams Peter Gabriel. 13' Headliner anyone?

sonnyboy11
01-22-2013, 08:48 PM
"Bloom" (Released on Splash Screen earlier today) screams Peter Gabriel. 13' Headliner anyone?

We should be so lucky.

bmack86
01-22-2013, 09:40 PM

He said he's taking all of 2013 off to do a worldwide with his family now that all of his kids are old enough to be able to appreciate it and young enough to be able to do it without missing out on their lives. I guess he could include Palm Springs for two weeks, but he's a perfectionist when it comes to live performances so that would require him to be rehearsing assiduously for months. I'd say that's almost certainly not going to happen, even though it definitely should. The So tour was incredible.

shotglass75
01-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Peter Gabriel has tour dates listed that begin a few weeks after Coachella. It means absolutely nothing. Or does it?!?!?!!?

Peter Gabriel into Arcade Fire could be cool.

http://youtu.be/VgW3XRQTt2M

http://youtu.be/15E0swZPoQE

xuclarockerx
01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Even after seeing him in Santa Barbara I would kill for this. This would completely make 2014 for me. Unfortunately it would have to be an Outdoor theater type set and likely very stripped down compared to the 2012 tour.

scenicworld
01-07-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm surprised he hasn't played yet. it seems to me that Peter Gabriel and Coachella are a perfect match.

has he ever even played a festival?

TomAz
01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Peter Gabriel once walked within 2 feet of me.

shoegazer76
01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
has he ever even played a festival?

Yes his own fest. He co-founded WOMAD. I worked the "So" show in Vegas. I stood about 15 feet away off to the side of the stage behind him. He is a hell of a keyboardist.

TomAz
01-07-2014, 12:36 PM
He was playing a drum.

Bumblebee
01-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Yes his own fest. He co-founded WOMAD. I worked the "So" show in Vegas. I stood about 15 feet away off to the side of the stage behind him. He is a hell of a keyboardist.

Headlined one of the nights at Woodstock 1994 and might have closed the whole thing.

I'd only think it's a good idea if he has a new rock album or original material.

BobCaygeon
01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
He was playing a drum.

Please go on.

santasutt
01-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Headlined one of the nights at Woodstock 1994 and might have closed the whole thing.

I'd only think it's a good idea if he has a new rock album or original material.

It doesn't matter what you think.

There exists a hefty Peter Gabriel catalogue from which to draw.

It would be tremendous with or without new material.

TomAz
01-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Please go on.

It was 1982.

bmack86
01-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Was he the intruder?

sonnyboy11
01-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Was he the intruder?

CSB- as soon as I saw he was doing Intruder during the Warm Up Summer tour in EU many years ago, I bought a ticket to the UK and hopped a flight over there to see it. Plus he was doing Family Snapshot and On The Air consistently. Got all those and even Lovetown. Zawose Family opened. Fuk I sure wish he would do Coachella.

Edit- I may have told this story before. Expect it about 100x times.

Bumblebee
01-08-2014, 12:32 AM
It doesn't matter what you think.

There exists a hefty Peter Gabriel catalogue from which to draw.

It would be tremendous with or without new material.

I'm not convinced Coachella attendees under 35 would care. They should, but didn't at the couple times I've seen PG live.

The orchestral thing would put a festival asleep. The videos I saw of the complete SO tour shows didn't do much for me, it's didn't hit the Northwest.

TomAz
01-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Was he the intruder?

no, it was the rhythm of the heat.