PDA

View Full Version : Line up = No Interest

Remix46
01-28-2010, 09:41 AM
I go to Coachella every year. This year is #7. That is if I go.
My friends have all backed out. Every single one of them We went from a group of 8 guys to me. I keep hearing the same story. "I'm not going into the hot desert sun for 12 hours and not finish up with a mind blowing headliner."
Now, I know and you know that Coachella rarely disappoints, but my friends aren't as easily swayed. They need something to bank on before they make the pilgrimage. I kinda agree with them. I mean it is a bummer that the headliners are pretty grim but there are so many other great acts. Is anyone else having the same issue?

Sonicifyouwantit
01-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't think I've watched the headliners for the past three years.

beavington
01-28-2010, 09:45 AM
My friends have all backed out. Every single one of them We went from a group of 8 guys to me. I keep hearing the same story. "I'm not going into the hot desert sun for 12 hours and not finish up with a mind blowing headliner."
Now, I know and you know that Coachella rarely disappoints, but my friends aren't as easily swayed. They need something to bank on before they make the pilgrimage. I kinda agree with them. I mean it is a bummer that the headliners are pretty grim but there are so many other great acts. Is anyone else having the same issue?

yeah i had that feeling last year. and it was pretty fucking awesome. ANd i even saw some of the headliners. Just go and youll enjoy it, otherwise when you hear how great it is you will be sad you missed out on an oppurtunity.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-28-2010, 09:47 AM
this is my third year and the only one where I'm already thinking of actually catching more than one headliner.

I don't know what the fuck people are expecting

Tandemind
01-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Who are you excited to see, if not the headliners?

HandBanana
01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
I am glad this thread exists as it gave me an excuse to make this...

http://i.imgur.com/Ka83x.jpg

luckyface
01-28-2010, 09:49 AM
I am renting a house this year, and 17 people have already signed up, with the possibility of another 5 . Usually our group is around 6. So no, your issue seems bizarre to me.

humanoid
I've been to every Coachella and have had a wonderful time every year, regardless of the specific headliners. There is much more to the experience than that. Hopefully you can get someone interested so you don't have to miss out.

backtocali
I was going to cancel as well since I now live in Oregon. I don't really see any headliners worth the plane ticket but my friends convinced me to come anyway. I will go just for the vibe and see what happens. I look forward to this event all year!

JebusLives
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Thread = No Interest

elChurro
No worries, you'll always have oz-fest for your 8-man pile on bromance.

PlayaDelWes

So....you aren't going because the Killers aren't playing.

beavington
01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
No worries, you'll always have oz-fest for your 8-man pile on bromance.

a new level of retardation

nationocean
01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Mom!

F00FIGHTER20
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
you're gonna regret missing Gorillaz.

HandBanana
01-28-2010, 10:04 AM
These dudes have also decided not to attend...

NK5V7hZuwNc

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-28-2010, 10:06 AM
How are the killers, jack johnson, rhcp mind blowing headliners?

FoxeyLady
01-28-2010, 10:07 AM
you're gonna regret missing Gorillaz.

THIS

rage patton
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
This is odd. The last 2 years all my friends have been like "Well, the line up is pretty good... but not THAT good. Maybe some other year." Now all of my friends are trying to rework their exam schedule to see if they can make it this year. I know at least 5 friends who really want to go, but 4 of them have exams that weekend and they are pissed off.

The moral of the story is, if your friends don't like this line up, they have bad taste in music. Same goes for you too.

humanoid
01-28-2010, 10:13 AM

NK5V7hZuwNc

dammit, I might have to reconsider attending this year if those guys aren't going to be there. I was counting on them to make my Coachella this year...

djandrews25
01-28-2010, 10:14 AM
That's funny because just about everyone i know thinks this is one of the best coachella lineups ever.

CurableOkie
01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
That's funny because just about everyone i know thinks this is one of the best coachella lineups ever.

This.

For starters it's way way better than last year's line-up.

Secondly, it looks great as is and we still get late additions to get hyped about.

faxman75
01-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Most of us don't watch the music. We just suck down frozen lemonade and eat churros until it's time to eat ecstasy and rave our faces off in the Sahara.

hangthedj112
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM

i know what u mean bro, they need some sick shit like jack johnson or BRING BACK RAGE!!!!

who is pavement???

WhyTheLongFace
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I love 2/3 headliners. And the 1 I dont supposedly has an amazing live setup.

Sooooooooooo..Fuck you taking about?

gooftroop
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I love 2/3 headliners. And the 1 I dont supposedly has an amazing live setup.

Feel the exact same way. This lineup is full of good shit, you people are insane.

PlayaDelWes
01-28-2010, 10:34 AM

NK5V7hZuwNc

The little girl in the background is priceless.

Cdubby
01-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I've only had zero interest in two headliners for the 3 years I've been going- Jack Johnson and Jay-Z. Both years are shaping up to be to be much better than the year I had interest in all three headliners (2009). There are so many other acts to catch during a headliner thats its nice having zero interest sometimes.

COACHILLA
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Im having the same problem, 2 chicks that went with us last year dont recognize many names. I still have 2 other friends going for sure but It would be cool if they went as well. Im making them a Coachella mix so they can get familiar with the bands. I know they hvev heard alot of the bands but they just don't know them by name.

BrickTop24
01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
My first two years (06 and 07) I was more into the headliners than I was in 08 and 09. Granted that the headliners aren't as superb as the past but they're still worth seeing and all the other acts that will be there are worth the price of admission. I will still be there and enjoy the coachella experience like always.

juloxx
01-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Gorillaz will be dope. Just you wait

BrickTop24
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
The Gorillaz will be the best headliner of the three.

JebusLives
01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
2007 was my favorite year. I was sooo busy running from stage to stage that I almost entirely missed all 3 headliners (caught some Bjork after Sonic Youth).

Headliners are fun because of the production values, but Coachella they do not make alone.

BrickTop24
01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
2007 was my favorite year. I was sooo busy running from stage to stage that I almost entirely missed all 3 headliners (caught some Bjork after Sonic Youth).

Headliners are fun because of the production values, but Coachella they do not make alone.

I agree with you on 07. It was my second year and I didnt think I would have as much fun as 06 but It ended being my favorite year. Not just the headliners (even thogh I watched the first five songs of the Chili Peppers) but the other acts were great too and the people were awesome.

Some people go specificly for the headliners and that's fine. But there's so much more to Coachella then who is the main headliner.

Captain Ahab
01-28-2010, 11:46 AM

NK5V7hZuwNc

The language he's using in front of that little girl. Appalling.

dirt lip
01-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Coachella is never about the headliners. If your friends need bigger headliners they are not worth taking the trip with anyway. The main issue this year will be how many clashes there are when the schedule comes out!

mittens4kittens
01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
The moral of the story is, if your friends don't like this line up, they have bad taste in music. Same goes for you too.

precisely.

TickleMeElmo
01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
You need to get new friends.

IlliniQ
01-28-2010, 01:32 PM

No offense, but as a 44 year old myself, my guess is age is playing a part.

My wife and friends who came with me last year and loved it had exactly the same reaction on seeing this year's line up, "No thanks, I'm staying home.

Quite simply, from a straight up demographic standpoint, this is just a less attractive lineup to older Rock n' Roll fans, than the lineups of the last two years.

Muse, Jay-z, Gorillaz, Pavement, Faith no More...these are generationally defining bands hold little to no appeal to most who came of age before the 1990s.

A shame, because it's a great line-up overall, and yes there are a lot of 80s act and Sly (possibly in an attempt to woo the older crowd knowing the headliners would hold such little appeal)...but none of the 80s acts, though awesome, were really headliner material even in their prime with the exception of Sly, and anyone who knows his erratic history knows it will be a small miracle if he actually does end up on stage Sunday.

My feeling is PT tried for the Stones, couldn't get it to come together, and instead just decided to give the hardcore original festival stalwarts as close as he could to their dream line-up after two years of aggressively courting a broader audience.

To those hardcore stalwards, enjoy, because my guess is this year's overall attendance numbers will be way down from last two years...and we'll be back to seeing the Who, The Stones, Bruce, Talking Heads, U2 and hopefully Bowie all headline over the next five years, with bigger 60s/70s subheader reunions like the Byrds, Velvet Underground, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, King Crimson, and The Kinks.

Financially, it just makes too much sense to throw the older crowd a couple of big, big bones each year.

bludevil007
01-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Honestly, GV isnt targeting people in their forties. 30 year olds have money, so do 20 somethings these days. And who is more likely to come to a festival anyways, a 20 year old or a 40 year old. I'm in my late 20s and i'm fairly confident that it's my age range 25-35 that supports this festival the most in terms of ticket sales.

WhatLies
01-28-2010, 01:52 PM

My wife and friends who came with me last year and loved it had exactly the same reaction on seeing this year's line up, "No thanks, I'm staying home.

Quite simply, from a straight up demographic standpoint, this is just a less attractive lineup to older Rock n' Roll fans, than the lineups of the last two years.

Muse, Jay-z, Gorillaz, Pavement, Faith no More...these are generationally defining bands hold little to no appeal to most who came of age before the 1990s.

A shame, because it's a great line-up overall, and yes there are a lot of 80s act and Sly (possibly in an attempt to woo the older crowd knowing the headliners would hold such little appeal)...but none of the 80s acts, though awesome, were really headliner material even in their prime with the exception of Sly, and anyone who knows his erratic history knows it will be a small miracle if he actually does end up on stage Sunday.

My feeling is PT tried for the Stones, couldn't get it to come together, and instead just decided to give the hardcore original festival stalwarts as close as he could to their dream line-up after two years of aggressively courting a broader audience.

To those hardcore stalwards, enjoy, because my guess is this year's overall attendance numbers will be way down from last two years...and we'll be back to seeing the Who, The Stones, Bruce, Talking Heads, U2 and hopefully Bowie all headline over the next five years, with bigger 60s/70s subheader reunions like the Byrds, Velvet Underground, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, King Crimson, and The Kinks.

Financially, it just makes too much sense to throw the older crowd a couple of big, big bones each year.
this is a compelling argument. I still think that the overall attendance this year is gonna be just as high as the past 3 years. This year is gonna be a big college party, with a lot of campers. My first impression was that Jay Z, Tiesto and Guetta would bring a terrible crowd, however now I'm thinking that this year is gonna be full of beautiful ladies looking for someone like me to show them a good time :)

magenta
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
The little girl in the background is priceless.

I had to see it after this....

OMG, that was awful. The old guy was all getting jiggy with it, ew. And the guys in the back?? this was sad.

My favorite part is when the old guys trying to be all hard and then he messes us hes like uh uh uh, so funny!

HAMMERHEAD
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM

valid points but i feel like for the most part that big name draw for the older crowd is usually only to sell out 1 day, not the whole weekend. we may not have a huge friday like last year but i suspect very high attendance sustained throughout the weekend.

Remix46
01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
So....you aren't going because the Killers aren't playing.

uh, yeah. The Killers SUCK ass. That was almost a deal breaker for me even. That and Jack Johnson.

I don't give a rats ass about the headliners though. I go to Coachella every year no matter what. I just have to get my friends to go.

Remix46
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
valid points but i feel like for the most part that big name draw for the older crowd is usually only to sell out 1 day, not the whole weekend. we may not have a huge friday like last year but i suspect very high attendance sustained throughout the weekend.

I expect this to be the lowest attended Coachella ever or maybe a tad better than the second one.

mickflyy
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
is it me or do ppl bitch about the lineup every year ... here is an idea you start your own event and book all the bands you want to see ... youre welcome for the idea by the way

Remix46
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I am renting a house this year, and 17 people have already signed up, with the possibility of another 5 . Usually our group is around 6. So no, your issue seems bizarre to me.

Yeah, but you're also in LA. That's an easy jaunt. I'm from San Franciso. We have to take of work and take plane or drive 9 hours. Big difference.

Remix46
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM

I agree with you totally. I'm 39 and it stings a little to have a lot of the new bands headlining. Don't get me wrong. I keep up with my music. I can't wait for XX, Florence & The Machine, Hot Chip and Grace Jones to name a few but you're right. It makes total sense for them to throw a bone out to the older crowd. Sly is one that I'd like to mark off my list but I'm not really excited about. It would have been nice to have a couple nostalgic acts, but what are you gonna do? I'm going to have a good time no matter what. I just would have liked to have my friends along for the ride.

HandBanana
01-28-2010, 02:23 PM
One thing that I love about this years lineup is that it has a mix of the past but its not BEHOLDEN to the past. It doesnt feel like it needs the "training wheels" of the old to prop up the new. And that is awesome.

And I love the older stuff. Macca last year was a treat. But its nice to think that we are moving forward as well. I may not be a fan of Muse, but I respect us moving forth.

FoxeyLady
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I expect this to be the lowest attended Coachella ever or maybe a tad better than the second one.

No way. The fact that they are only selling 3-day passes is proof of how confident they are that this lineup will move a ton of tickets.

superfiction
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
if your friends don't like this line up, they have bad taste in music. Same goes for you too.

this should just be the generic response to every thread like this

luckyface
01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, but you're also in LA. That's an easy jaunt. I'm from San Franciso. We have to take of work and take plane or drive 9 hours. Big difference.

My point was that there are a lot of people who are excited about the lineup. And nice try. I have at least eight people coming from out of town, including people from DC and NY who will be attending their first Coachella ever.

superfiction
01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
It would have been nice to have a couple nostalgic acts, but what are you gonna do?

faith no more/echo and the bunnymen/pavement/public image ltd/sunny day real estate.... how are these not nostalgic acts?

superfiction
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM

im from washington and i know 11 other people who are going. so. stfu

BrickTop24
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Honestly, GV isnt targeting people in their forties. 30 year olds have money, so do 20 somethings these days. And who is more likely to come to a festival anyways, a 20 year old or a 40 year old. I'm in my late 20s and i'm fairly confident that it's my age range 25-35 that supports this festival the most in terms of ticket sales.

well said

moomoo
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM

:rotfl

SFChrissy
01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
That's funny because just about everyone i know thinks this is one of the best coachella lineups ever.DITTOOOOO!!!

HAMMERHEAD
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM

the 18-25 age bracket begs to differ...

oh hush you know its worth it.

psycobetabuckdown
01-28-2010, 03:08 PM

I got probably 7 people coming, all with jobs, most with class too.

rage patton
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Ummm... have you looked at past Coachella line up? Only 08 and 09 have had "Classic Rock" headliners. The closest you could consider to any of those would be Depeche Mode and The Cure. So you are saying just because there isn't an old headliner, you aren't attending this year? This argument is retarded.

Oh, and you also didn't even mention The Specials or Public Image Limited.

bodydown
01-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I generally am really excited about the headliners. The first year we went it was all about Radiohead, Pixies and The Cure. Now of course it turned out Stereolab, Air, The Flaming Lips and a whole pile others where really good but we decided to make the 1500 mile trip because of the headliners.

The next year The headliners where a little less important but NIN is a pretty freaking strong headliner. Of course that same year Fantomas, Bauhaus, The Chemical Brothers, Arcade Fire, The Locust, The Kills turned out to be awesome.

Next year Depeche Mode and Tool were the headliners, FREAKING AWESOME!! and a huge reason to go. Add Massive Attack, Daft Punk, Sleater Kinney, YYY's really great. But that year was light on the sub headliners.

Next Year, Bjork, DJ Shadow, Arcade Fire, Rage pretty sweet headliners. RHP though was a big pain in my ass.

2008 was all about the headliners and slight sub headliners (Except JJ). Kraftwerk, Portishead, Prince and Roger Waters were amazing. Aphex Twin, The Breeders, Goldfrapp, Love and Rockets and Gogol Bordello sweet.

There were some great bands last year but the headliners were a disappointment. The Cure were great but that whole turning the pa off gig sucked. MBV, YYY's, Crystal Method, Patton and Rahzel, Leonard Cohen were great but I have to say I probably wouldn't have even gone on Saturday if I wasn't already going to be there.

Anyway this year I'm excited about Muse but could care less about Gorillaz and Jay-Z. I Guess this is a little more like the 2005 year for me. One headliner that I am really interested in and then some sub headliners that I'm freaking out over and some lower bill acts that I expect to be good.

That all said interest from people that I know is much lower than 2004-2008 (it was almost non existent in 2009) .

boyalien0
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
How is it that a person can not be interested in Gorillaz? It makes no fucking sense. Have you even looked up some videos of their live sets? God only knows what kind of shenanigans they're bringing to the desert. I'm betting on Sunday being the most epic day of Coachella I've ever experienced, capped by an eyeball-raping headliner set of insane proportion.

boyalien0
01-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Also : You guys DO see Thom Yorke's name on the bill, do you not? You DO know that Flea is his bassist? Do you have any fucking idea how amazing this is going to be? Have you not gone on youtube and entered "thom yorke echoplex" ? Jesus christ people.

psycobetabuckdown
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Also : You guys DO see Thom Yorke's name on the bill, do you not? You DO know that Flea is his bassist? Do you have any fucking idea how amazing this is going to be? Have you not gone on youtube and entered "thom yorke echoplex" ? Jesus christ people.

haha yeah wtf. Thom Yorke is almost enough to get me to travel by himself. In fact, if Coachella didn't exist I probably would've gone down for those Echoplex shows.

FoxeyLady
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm baffled that some people aren't impressed by this lineup. Last year I could understand a little bit, but this year just has SO much.

Sure, there's no classic headliner, but out of the 11 Coachellas only 2 of them have had classic headliners...

milos57
01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I think more than two Coachellas have had "classic" headliners. I mean, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Prince, even Radiohead, would probably be considered classic by most people. Not in age, of course, but prestige.

That being said, I am blown away by the wealth of this line-up. Last year had some great headliners, but was seriously lacking in good undercard acts. Saturday may have been the worst day in Coachella history, save for Liars, Amanda Palmer, and The Blood Beetroots.

JustSteve
01-28-2010, 04:58 PM

NK5V7hZuwNc

is that quicksand's dad?

JustSteve
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
faith no more/echo and the bunnymen/pavement/public image ltd/sunny day real estate.... how are these not nostalgic acts?

fuck off, early to mid 90's is not nostalgia....i am not that old, dammit!

TheGunner'sDream
01-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Great. I hope you guys dont go. Try Sasquach.

I don't think I've watched the headliners for the past three years.

You missed Roger Waters??

TheGunner'sDream
01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
im tired of people coming on here just to shit.

Gorillaz!!!! How rare are they?? come on!! They are this years Portishead. Thom Yorke!!! Echoplex. This year im probably going to see Muse all the way from the beer Garden. Theres so much music on the bill that its silly if you cant find at least 20 acts that catch your ear. If your doubting Coachella the least bit, dont go.

Egull
01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
How are the killers, jack johnson, rhcp mind blowing headliners?

Paul McCartney, Killers, The Cure
Jack Johnson, Prince, Roger Waters
Bjork, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage against the Machine

Those are a lot different then saying Killers, Jack Johnson, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I love the lineup this year way more then the last couple years, but the headliners are weak in comparison... minus Gorillaz of course.

crawvegas
01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Just because you haven't heard of the bands doesn't mean they aren't good....I found that out @Bonnaroo last year...Just trust them, the non-headliners are way more appealing...

Remix46
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I got probably 7 people coming, all with jobs, most with class too.

a job? What are you 17? I have my own business jack ass. As for class it's called FIRST. Maybe you and your 7 little friends will pass me with your backpacks on the way to coach. .

Ardentbiscuit
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM

It's better they don't go. If you have to force them to go then they will only have a lousy time.

You should go because you love the music and want to have fun.

Nothing brings down an event like than having people along who are there against their will.

loser999
01-29-2010, 01:48 AM
i wish paul mccartney would headline every year. i'm having trouble finding too many people excited about fridays lineup. we're all still going though

Ardentbiscuit
01-29-2010, 06:54 AM
It's the opposite for me, my friends are more excited about this year than last year.

Hopeless Semantic
01-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Different year, same bitching...

This will always go on no matter the lineup, no matter who should be where or what, and it grows tiresome. Either go and enjoy the festivities or don't. It's that simple...

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-29-2010, 08:50 AM
just go...it will be FUN. Jonas Brothers could be headlining and I would still go. The Desert is home.

Leeartlee
01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Most of us don't watch the music. We just suck down frozen lemonade and eat churros until it's time to eat ecstasy and rave our faces off in the Sahara.

This... minus the churros. I just don't get those things.

Linus
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm 41 and I've been to Coachella "04 (because of Radiohead and the Pixies), '05, '06, '07, & '09. I think this is a really solid line-up by comparison. I came the first year because of the headliner and have been coming back each year because it's such a great music fest.

My experience when they release the line up is the same every year. 1/3 of the bands I've heard, 1/3 of the bands I've heard of, and 1/3 of the bands I've never heard of. Then it's time to do some homework. I'm usually introduced to some bands that go on to be my favorites for the year. It's the bands earlier in the daytime on the smaller stages that are the most fun for me. In the past I saw Wolfmother, Gnarles Barkley, and Amy Winehouse all from 10 feet away on the small stages. The WM album had just been released, the GB show was one of their first ever, and the AM show was one of the first before Back to Black exploded. She was relatively sober and her performance was great.

So, I'm stoked.

Newro7ic
01-29-2010, 10:28 AM
a job? What are you 17? I have my own business jack ass. As for class it's called FIRST. Maybe you and your 7 little friends will pass me with your backpacks on the way to coach. .

Wrong definition of class. Which proves you don't have the definition he was referring to.

Different year, same bitching...

This will always go on no matter the lineup, no matter who should be where or what, and it grows tiresome. Either go and enjoy the festivities or don't. It's that simple...

This.

psycobetabuckdown
01-29-2010, 01:44 PM

***** will you calm the fuck down?

I'm 23, and my friends are in college. They have to take off from work and class. That was a response to your bitching that you have to take off work (you didn't mention that you run a business, not that it matters). Everyone has work, I don't know why you think yours is more pressing.

HandBanana
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I am several hundred years old and am mad geeked on this lineup.
I havent been this satisfied initially with the top line headers since 2004.
2008 doesnt count because Prince was so late int he process.

lexineffect
01-29-2010, 02:17 PM
You don't go to a festival to see a headliner. Headliners are the icing on the cake perhaps. If you want to see one band go to their show. Great line up this year and like others I am sure I will be surprised by other acts. I am listening to all of Friday's bands now and have found a few gems.

M Sparks
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
this is my third year and the only one where I'm already thinking of actually catching more than one headliner.

I don't know what the fuck people are expecting

Yeah, me too. I'm usually barely at the main stage, will be there quite a bit this year.

Ardentbiscuit
01-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I swear some people treat going to a festival like they are going to be water boarded in Guantanamo Bay .

If someone doesn't want to go then don't! Just don't whine about it.

Mammoth85
01-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Trust me, saw his show at The Orpheum, Thom and co. will bring the party!!!

And Gorillaz? How can you not be excited to see these guys in all their cartoon glory? Even if you don't care for them as a band, the show is going to be such a spectacle.

myelectrolife
01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
How is it that a person can not be interested in Gorillaz? It makes no fucking sense. Have you even looked up some videos of their live sets? God only knows what kind of shenanigans they're bringing to the desert. I'm betting on Sunday being the most epic day of Coachella I've ever experienced, capped by an eyeball-raping headliner set of insane proportion.

BRAVO!!! My thoughts exactly...

NoGwenPlease
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
and we'll be back to seeing the Who, The Stones, Bruce, Talking Heads, U2 all headline over the next five years, with bigger 60s/70s subheader reunions like the Byrds, Velvet Underground, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, King Crimson, and The Kinks.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like my worst fucking nightmare.

If U2 ever plays coachella i'll stop going.

hulings
01-29-2010, 03:39 PM

So sad to hear. This will be my 3rd year DRIVING from Portland Oregon. Like many people have mentioned on this thread, headliners are not at all the main reason I go (Were any of you in the Sahara last year on Saturday!?) I can't wrap my head around all these people from Cali saying they can't put forth the money and effort to go to Coachella... Try sacrificing a week of your life and a $G.

It's not about the headliners or rolling your balls off in the Sahara all weekend. It's the entire Coachella experience I'm going for. I had paid for my rental house before the lineup was even released. Hope more people out there feel the same way.

darkjustice
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
chumpy thread

GuyInTucson
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
It's funny.

I read this site every so often and only recently created this screen name. I went to Coachella from 2001-03 but havent been back since.

Every year on these boards, it's the same thing:

"I can't believe they booked (insert famous artist here)"

"This years lineuop sucks, (Insert arbitrary year here) lineup was much more powerful."

"Why do we want a band like that."

"THe hipsters/ravers/college kids/etc are idiots and their taste in music should be ignored"

Seriously, I don't like a lot of the music coachella brings in every year. It's just my taste, but I am not going out of my way to say who sucks or what kind of music should or shouldn't be there.

In my coachella experience, I only saw one act -- The **** Pong Bitches in 2002 -- that I walked away thinking "What the hell were they doing here?". I seriously thought they were there only for a gimmick and were a total joke.

As long as it doesn;t stray away from what got them there, Coachella will always be alive and as close to a must-go festival as there is. It's not about just the music, just the art, getting drunk, doing drugs.... it's there entire experience and what you take from it.

juloxx
01-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Its the fact that its off in the desert. People leave the bullshit in the cities/their home/these message boards and just go to just yarty and smoke blunts for 3 days. I dont remember having a single negative thought go through my head the whole festival last year.

Until the day comes where The Dave Mathews Band headlines, Coachella will still just be an amazing experiance. People just complain on these boards because thats what these boards are for; so your voice can get heard.

That being said....put some fucking Nate Dogg in this lineup sometime soon.

HandBanana
01-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Dont be tardy to the yarty

psycobetabuckdown
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
In my coachella experience, I only saw one act -- The Daft Punk in 2006 -- that I walked away thinking "What the hell were they doing here?". I seriously thought they were there only for a gimmick and were a total joke.

fixed

As long as it doesn;t stray away from what got them there, Coachella will always be alive and as close to a must-go festival as there is.

If it's a must-go festival, why haven't you been to it in 7 years?

GaragePoet
01-31-2010, 02:11 PM
In my coachella experience, I only saw one act -- The **** Pong Bitches in 2002 -- that I walked away thinking "What the hell were they doing here?". I seriously thought they were there only for a gimmick and were a total joke.

haha, i saw them, too... we had to check them out just because of their name, but it probably would have been better just to see people playing **** pong onstage...

Remix46
01-31-2010, 03:56 PM
So sad to hear. This will be my 3rd year DRIVING from Portland Oregon. Like many people have mentioned on this thread, headliners are not at all the main reason I go (Were any of you in the Sahara last year on Saturday!?) I can't wrap my head around all these people from Cali saying they can't put forth the money and effort to go to Coachella... Try sacrificing a week of your life and a $G.

It's not about the headliners or rolling your balls off in the Sahara all weekend. It's the entire Coachella experience I'm going for. I had paid for my rental house before the lineup was even released. Hope more people out there feel the same way.

Yeah, I need to get these friends on board. They just don't understand how great of an experience Coachella is no matter who is playing. We were going to pay for our rental before the line up was released. That was my first mistake, but like someone said, It would suck to go with people who don't want to go so in a way I'm glad that I didn't hook shit up. We'll see what happnens...

IlliniQ
02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
well said

I except this with one caveat...McCartney's Friday was one of the most crowded days I've ever seen at the fest...and unlike you younger whipper-snappers of whom many still play the be cool, show up casually late card, most of those 40 & overs made a full day of it (cause they do this a lot less often) and were at the festival at noon...allowing early undercard bands like Aggrolite's, Cage The Elephant, Noah and the Whale etc to play to near packed tents rather than the 1/4 full venues you typically see that time of day.

When you see really intriquing up and coming acts like Frightened Rabbit, Girls, Florence and the Machine, Beach House so low on the undercard, how much better would it be for them to be playing a day headlined by the Stones rather than Muse or Gorillaz.

rage patton
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Actually, that argument makes no sense. Most of the people who came just for McCartney wouldnt have shown up for the early acts... so it wouldn't really make a difference.

And I would rather have Muse and Gorillaz headline any day over The Stones.

ZackQ
02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
And I would rather have Muse and Gorillaz headline any day over The Stones.

Totally agree.

FoxeyLady
02-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Me too ^^^ also I'll take Jay-Z over two members of The Who any day as well.

C DUB YA
02-02-2010, 09:27 AM
...allowing early undercard bands like Aggrolite's, Cage The Elephant, Noah and the Whale etc to play to near packed tents rather than the 1/4 full venues you typically see that time of day.

The days of less-than-full tents are long gone my friend. Coachella has been crowded, and crowded early, since 2003

ZackQ
02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
The days of less-than-full tents are long gone my friend. Coachella has been crowded, and crowded early, since 2003

2008 seemed to have some less crowded sets. Either that or the people were really chill at every set. I'm not sure what it was, but I seemed to be able to get very close to the front of every set with minimal effort.

rage patton
02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
In 2008, every single mojave set was pretty much packed to the back. Except Scars on Broadway. There was probably 200 people there. I think we all know why though...

Anyone remember how packed Battles in the Gobi was? They played at like 3 and people were climbing up the scaffolding trying to get a better view. It was insane.

Me too ^^^ also I'll take Jay-Z over two members of The Who any day as well.

Can't agree with you here. I saw The Who in 2006 and they were seriously aweesome.

ZackQ
02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Battles was awesome. I got there early and was maybe two rows from the rail, so I didn't see the craziness behind me that well. I stuck around for Dan Deacon too, and he had a huge crowd that he played with the whole time. Awesome back to back sets.

rage patton
02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I got to Battles about 10 minutes before they started and made it to about 3/4 of the way into the tent, so I was still pretty close. But I am tall and was able to see everyone behind me... and the crowd was massive. Like, Amy Winehouse/Rodrigo y Gabriela in the Gobi 07 kind of packed.

djfk1
02-02-2010, 11:19 AM

As a 40 year old, I think this is a great line up. If you have been attending like you said, you obviously weren't paying attention. The great young bands like Girls, Big Pink, and the XX are better then any of geriatric artists you are looking for. I do wish they could have gotten David Byrne/Brian Eno.

RickeyinLA
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree - David Byrne was my favorite show last year.

I have 21 must-see acts on Friday, 33 must-sees on Saturday, and 21 on Sunday. I'm fifty, this is my tenth Coachella, and I'm camping onsite for the first time. This might be the best one yet.

ricardo san diego
02-02-2010, 02:26 PM
best coachella in past 5 years

grichsgang
02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
best coachella in past 5 years

Saturday is loaded

fatbastard
02-02-2010, 02:57 PM

"I'm too scared...I need my little friends...oh woh is me...I'm scared"

Geeze. Grow a pair Shirley.

nbvcide
02-02-2010, 03:19 PM

people that go to Coachella for the headliners are pussies..