PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tired flying with camping equipment?

williamsj16
01-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Hello All,

First timer here with a question! Flying in from ny and wondering if anyone has tried flying with camping equipment? I have a nice tent and would like to bring it with me as long as it's not going to cost me an extra arm and leg. I haven't flown in a good year and everyone has told me about this "extra baggage" cost and how they are really cracking down on the crap you carry on.

I saw the ready to go thing is available but that seemed ridiculous to rent a tent for that much when you can just buy one....

lizng
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
I flew with all of my camping stuff from DC in 2008. It's a lot to keep up with, and it might cost you a bunch if you fly on an airline that charges checked baggage fees. If you go Southwest, they'll let you bring 2 big bags to check for free. Pack carefully and will be able to bring it all.

fiopadp7791
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Which airline are you flying? I think Southwest doesn't charge for baggage. But assuming yours does- find how much the extra fees are. Because you'll have to do the math and figure out how much the baggage fees are, and compare that to not bringing anything extra, and buying a tent at the local Walmart once you get to Cali. Also, are you renting a car? Because if not, how much stuff do you really wanna lug around with you trying to get to and from the festival grounds/campsite?

I usually bring a small duffel and my sleeping bag every year, and buy a crappy tent once I get to SoCal. At the end I just donate the tent to whoever wants it.

MarkO
01-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes, I packed my tent and accessories in a hard sided cooler and checked that as a 'bag'. It wasn't a problem on Alaska Airlines but that was pre extra baggage fees.

MichaelDominick
01-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Last year I flew with a large hockey/sport bag and was able to fit clothes, tent and sleeping bag in it. A little bit bulky but still only had to check one bag

humanoid
01-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Yes, it was very tiring.

Jremy
01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
I've done it. It's really not too bad at all.
One hiking backpack with clothes, and a duffle with tent, sleeping bag, and other odds and ends.
Makes for a pretty bare bones campsite. I need some flair.

rage patton
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Ive flown, here is my advice. Fit your tent, sleeping bag an other equiptment in a duffle bag. Then fit all your clothes into a carry on. Then, buy a canopy and bring that. Trust me, if you don't get a canopy you will be waking up at 7am every morning in a sauna. If you get a canopy, you will be able to sleep in till 9-9:30 no problem. The extra 2-2.5 hours of sleep will be worth it.

mountmccabe
01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes, it was very tiring.

High five

humanoid
01-28-2010, 04:05 PM
High five

thanks for noticing

frozen pilgrim
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
totally possible, no problemo at all, just weigh your luggage before you leave, most airlines give you your first 50 lb bag either for free or for $15 or or something

yeahfontaine
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
totally possible, no problemo at all, just weigh your luggage before you leave, most airlines give you your first 50 lb bag either for free or for $15 or or something

Ummm...when's the last time you flew on a plane?

williamsj16
01-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice...I have a plan now to fly with my camping crap and I'll definitely look into the canopy thing!

I am starting to get freaked out with all these talks about the crazy heat but looking forward to it as the same time as I am dealing with a negative 10 winchill at the moment...brrrrrrr

toxicempanada
01-29-2010, 04:38 AM
I just started a thread with pretty much the same question. Side question: I've never been to CA, can you get quality tents just anywhere, like at walmart and such? Cause i don't want to do the Selkirk package they have here, but the bf doesn't want to lug shit onto a plane from NY either.
(Add to the fact i've never flown and really want getting on a plane to be as smooth as possible.)

nevilledevil78
01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Last year I flew with a large hockey/sport bag and was able to fit clothes, tent and sleeping bag in it. A little bit bulky but still only had to check one bag
So how heavy was your bag? What exactly did you bring I am dreading packing all of my gear but i am afraid the walmart will be sold out of everything....

Stickjohn
01-19-2012, 04:29 PM
That was posted two years ago - here's a more recent thread http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?51396-Packing-for-camping-when-flying-in

frizzlefry
01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Buy new stuff when you get here and leave it on the campgrounds so I can take it home with me...don't be a stingy dick

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
My goal is to come up on some free shit. What's the best thing you've came up on frizz?

frizzlefry
01-19-2012, 10:19 PM
New air mattress and pump and a new tent with bag including about two dollars of change on the bottom of it, now we should stop talking about this so no one else catches on

dcbell05
01-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Thank you everyone for the advice...I have a plan now to fly with my camping crap and I'll definitely look into the canopy thing!

I am starting to get freaked out with all these talks about the crazy heat but looking forward to it as the same time as I am dealing with a negative 10 winchill at the moment...brrrrrrr

The weather in the area for next week is predicted to be between mid-70s to low 80s. That's their "winter" weather. Last year was hot. Like 100 degrees (F) hot. Be prepared to sweat your ass off.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
01-20-2012, 09:39 AM
The weather in the area for next week is predicted to be between mid-70s to low 80s. That's their "winter" weather. Last year was hot. Like 100 degrees (F) hot. Be prepared to sweat your ass off.

last year was fucking cold, we were in the 80's on Thur-Sat, the only warm day was Sunday, I hope we're this lucky this year.