PDA

View Full Version : Kids and toddlers at Coachella?

arod2789
01-26-2010, 11:22 PM
I've never been so I'm just curious. Is it common for people to bring little younglings to Coachella? I'm talking 3 to 5 years in age.

MarkO
01-26-2010, 11:23 PM
No it's not common. I've seen it but I can't imagine it's fun for anyone concerned.

alleysin
01-26-2010, 11:44 PM
i have a friend that really wants to bring her 1+ yr old. you think its unethical? she isnt a bad person or mom but has HUGE love for music i am sure she wants to share with her daughter. She is being told she cant camp with her though...i dunno, what are your guys' thoughts on that?

didimydoe3
01-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah, you'll see it but that doesn't mean you have to be the douchebag parent with their kid on their shoulders front row getting blasted by the speakers. No young kid should be subjected to that.

Just keep some distance from the front ;).

noolan
01-27-2010, 06:54 AM
To each their own, but at Bonnaroo last year I thought the people with kids were being very selfish. It doesn't make them a bad parent, but the activities that occur there are outside of their control. There will be drugs, drunks, and loud music late into the night. Would you take your child to a loud kegger or all night party/rave? Now, I am no parent and would not tell people how to raise their child, but a music festival in the desert is not the ideal atmosphere for a young child, in my opinion

lostsoul86
01-27-2010, 05:06 PM
i think its really irresponsible for anyone to bring thier kids to coachella or any music festival/concert .No matter how much u love music. you have 3 days of drug users and drunks walking around a festival theres pot in the air especially depending on whos playing at the time. if i had kids i wouldnt expose them to that shit . i been to to coachella 3 years in a row and i always see kids holding thier ears cause of the music i see kids out late at night when the temperature really drops . dude last year i saw kids out while My Bloody Valentine was playing .now im 23 years old and that crappy music was hurting my ears i can only imagine what it was doing to those kids. oh and to those of you who are pregnant and want to go to coachella do ur unborn kid a favor and stay home .

weezy f baby
01-27-2010, 05:33 PM
http://reason.com/assets/mc/_ATTIC/Image/riggs/smokingromanian.png

ecalcott
01-29-2010, 10:44 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
I have a 5 year old and would never subject him to 100-degree+ heat, cigarette smoke, and loud music. (That's why the wife stays at home.)

DEAL WITH IT HIPPIES - you had a child, now be RESPONSIBLE and stay home for a few years or get a babysitter.

(seriously, there aren't many people who bring kids to this, but I want to punch them all. You're not "cool parent", you're selfish idiots.)

JustSteve
01-29-2010, 11:57 PM
i think its really irresponsible for anyone to bring thier kids to coachella or any music festival/concert .No matter how much u love music. you have 3 days of drug users and drunks walking around a festival theres pot in the air especially depending on whos playing at the time. if i had kids i wouldnt expose them to that shit . i been to to coachella 3 years in a row and i always see kids holding thier ears cause of the music i see kids out late at night when the temperature really drops . dude last year i saw kids out while My Bloody Valentine was playing .now im 23 years old and that crappy music was hurting my ears i can only imagine what it was doing to those kids. oh and to those of you who are pregnant and want to go to coachella do ur unborn kid a favor and stay home .

yeah, fuck having your kids out in 60-70 degree weather at night, so irresponsible.

there are responsible ways to have your kids there, don't be such an asshole about it.

and all of you talking about having your kid out in the heat...you do realize people actually live in desert climates, right? kids play in parks, go to school, etc. they couldn't care less if it's hot out.

myelectrolife
01-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Ok any child under 6 is too young. You will see people in thier 20s having trouble with the heat and long days imagine if you were 5?!!! a SINGLE day lasts like a week to a little kid.

If you stay at a hotel and you dont go in to the festival before 4 and take a LOT of breaks then maybe you could do it but you might as well not even go at that point.

Oh and NO sahara! Thats no place for a child...

Although... how often does security search toddlers??? HAHA

depechemodekraftwerk
01-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Actually i took a 4-5 year old to coachella.I ask her about it and she says she enjoyed and wanted ot go again.. This is being very HONEST!!!
I heard all the negative about what could happen but was a good time had by all... Um only thing was the stroller didnt work that good going back to cars and had to carry..That sucked.....

insbordnat
01-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I really don't give a toss about kids, but please:

Hearing protection is a MUST.

bezus
01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
As long as they have some noise reducing headphones on and you don't let them annoy me, I won't call CPS.

koliebo
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I think it really depends on the kid, and the parent. Ask yourself: "Would my child have fun at Coachella?," then ask yourself, "Could I put my child's needs first at all times while at Coachella?" If the answer to both these questions is yes, then bringing your kid to Coachella is probably fine (and will hopefully be fun for both the kid and the parent(s)!)

Also: any kid at Coachella will definitely need some of these (http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/Peltor-Kid-Earmuffs.html).

RODGERRAMJET
01-31-2010, 08:53 PM
LEAVE YOUR FRICKIN' KIDS AND TODDLERS AT HOME--WITH A BABYSITTER--FOR CHRISTS SAKES!!! (Yes, I'm shouting.) This ain't frickin' 1968, and Coachella ain't frickin' Woodstock. Deal with it.

OnlyNonStranger
01-31-2010, 09:16 PM
In 2008 I was waiting for some band to start on the main stage, I think Tegan and Sara maybe. Anyway, I was standing next to a young couple(or so I thought) and their probably 10 year old. The guy on my other side lights up and joint and smokes a bit of it. About halfway through I hear the little girl say "What smells like a skunk?" To which the dad immediately responds "ciggarettes!"

Everyone around them immediately burst into laughter. It was quite hill arious.

mountmccabe
01-31-2010, 09:17 PM
I think it really depends on the kid, and the parent. Ask yourself: "Would my child have fun at Coachella?," then ask yourself, "Could I put my child's needs first at all times while at Coachella?" If the answer to both these questions is yes, then bringing your kid to Coachella is probably fine (and will hopefully be fun for both the kid and the parent(s)!)

Also: any kid at Coachella will definitely need some of these (http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/Peltor-Kid-Earmuffs.html).

I agree with this completely.

Also bringing kids to Coachella will be easier/more reasonable for 2010 than in the past due to ins-and-outs; makes it much easier to leave for a bit as the kid is getting tired and/or it is getting dark and take the kid back to the hotel - with someone there to watch them, of course - and head back in to catch the end of the festival alone.

C DUB YA
01-31-2010, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't take my 3 year old, but thats because i can (and do) handle a full 3 days of heat, crowds and music, and I wouldn't want to find out if he could do the same.

It's just silly.

Stickjohn
01-31-2010, 09:43 PM
I say charge full price for the five and under crumb snatchers.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
The people that complain about the heat obviously don't live in warm places...growing up in Southern CA as a young child I was constantly in 100+ degree heat for hours on end. You people act like children will burst into flames or something.

Just like adults, all they need is sunscreen and water and to rest when they need it and they're perfectly capable of being in the heat

75 Miles
02-01-2010, 09:42 AM
The people that complain about the heat obviously don't live in warm places...growing up in Southern CA as a young child I was constantly in 100+ degree heat for hours on end. You people act like children will burst into flames or something.

Just like adults, all they need is sunscreen and water and to rest when they need it and they're perfectly capable of being in the heat

Seriously... the kids that you'd see at Coachella are the same ones riding the 110 degree school bus to and from school come Monday.

donkey sex
02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2431/3896111128_847dd46d8c.jpg

Let me know what time the meet up is.

iwaslike
02-02-2010, 01:52 AM
I can't believe some of the prudish reactions to children at Coachella. You think a little weed smoke and seeing some drunk people are that damaging to a child. I suppose we should pretend these things don't exist until our children become teenagers and then lie that we never did them. I bet everything at Coachella(loud music, drugs, drinking) happens at home as well.

IRSCOTT
02-02-2010, 02:00 AM
I can't believe some of the prudish reactions to children at Coachella. You think a little weed smoke and seeing some drunk people are that damaging to a child. I suppose we should pretend these things don't exist until our children become teenagers and then lie that we never did them. I bet everything at Coachella(loud music, drugs, drinking) happens at home as well.

It's not a LIE my dad never did that No!!!

iwaslike
02-02-2010, 02:07 AM
It's not a LIE my dad never did that No!!!

Sorry you had to find out this way...

nbvcide
02-02-2010, 02:09 AM
don't bring your kids..

gaypalmsprings
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/4/apr24gal41.jpg

gaypalmsprings
02-02-2010, 06:50 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Sv1oDB7NdoU/SY21VjdUKII/AAAAAAAADVg/R6MW69Rwsqg/s400/troll2.jpg

Stickjohn
02-02-2010, 07:53 PM
awesome

amyzzz
02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
please bring your kids. :)

gaypalmsprings
02-02-2010, 09:37 PM
please bring your kids. :)

http://joop.vhulst.eu/pics/pedobear-camouflage.jpg

uraion
02-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks for sharing great stuff mate.
much appreciated.
regards

zajaa
02-03-2010, 12:42 AM
seeing little kids with their little earmuffs makes me happy.

i can't believe the people saying it's "selfish" to bring the little ones along. it seems like it would be easier to stick em with a sitter, but the parents opt to share the experience with their children, which is a lot more work. not selfish really. i would definitely want to introduce my kids to great music, art, travel, cuisine, etc, whatever great things are to be enjoyed out there, from an early age.

iwaslike
02-03-2010, 01:17 PM
seeing little kids with their little earmuffs makes me happy.

i can't believe the people saying it's "selfish" to bring the little ones along. it seems like it would be easier to stick em with a sitter, but the parents opt to share the experience with their children, which is a lot more work. not selfish really. i would definitely want to introduce my kids to great music, art, travel, cuisine, etc, whatever great things are to be enjoyed out there, from an early age.

word.

amyzzz
02-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I want to try bringing my kids next year. We'll see. They are just getting to the age in which they can enjoy concerts.

JustSteve
02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
i probably won't be bringing my kids to coachella any time soon, even though i'd love to. being a stay at home dad, coachella weekend is pretty much one of only a few breaks i get a year for some adult alone time. if my wife and/or mom came out to stay in the area for the weekend with friends i wouldn't mind bringing the little ones in for a few hours, but once dusk begins to settle it's all about me.

my wife and i have brought them to stagecoach a couple times, it's perfect since i don't really like country, but still enjoy the polo fields and a nice relaxing day out with the family. also have no problem leaving when the kids are done for the day.

zajaa
02-03-2010, 09:50 PM
...being a stay at home dad...

hero.

algunz
02-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I like to torture little children:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Coachella%2009/DSCN0078.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Coachella%2009/DSCN0082.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Coachella%2009/DSCN0085.jpg

gypsy82
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I like to torture kids too!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/jackieharris/l_85368ba801be4722a8488a1fdeb985be.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/jackieharris/l_af6432584c014fe296f666cf14305866.jpg

alleysin
02-04-2010, 03:12 PM
aw, how could you guys be so cruel! ;)

Laura owns you
02-05-2010, 05:21 AM
bring your kids. just accept the fact that its a stupid idea and a waste of money. how much shit do you remember from when you were 4? kids not gonna remember much, if any of a 3 day music festival. and realistically, if you're trying to "introduce" your kid to music and art at coachella, you're dumb. there are concerts and museums all over the place. maybe try a normal show sometime, and see how your kid handles that, before dragging said kid to the desert and having him watch 50 million bands.

also, there really just isn't a lot of kid-friendly stuff there. the art might be neat to look at, but its not going to hold the attention of small child for several hours over three days.

last year, i had a brief conversation with a man who had taken his son to coachella in 2005, when the boy was 6, and had the most miserable time. there was a horrible story about a porta potty that almost scarred *me* for life. he had brought his son back in 2009, and said that at 10, they were really able to enjoy the festival together, and that his son was having an amazing time. i wouldn't say that 10 would be the perfect age for any kids to be there....my 10 year old self would have gotten into sooooooooooo much trouble. but this really isn't an event for children. make sure your kids are old enough to handle a music festival. dont be a douche and bring a kid thats not gonna be able to hang.

and dont bring em into the sahara. people will assume they are midgets and offer them pills.

elChurro
02-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I understand that bringing your children for free is cheaper then hiring a babysitter, but If Coachella were truly meant for children wouldn't there be something for them to do like stagecoach?

joppy-slow
02-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I like to torture little children:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Coachella%2009/DSCN0085.jpg

And she already has a tat?? that's hardcore..

Algunz.. how long did your little one last? I would think kids would do better if they had a friend to play with during the festival, or maybe Coachella could have like a romper room just for kids under 12.. You would pay by the hour to keep your kids entertained and under supervision.. Then when suzy or bobby starts being a lil shit, and you've had enough bonding time, you could drop them off and do your own thing for a few hours..

JustSteve
02-05-2010, 08:23 AM
if i recall she only had her there for a few hours and then grandma came and picked her up and took her back to where they were staying.

amyzzz
02-05-2010, 08:33 AM
The new ins and outs policy will be a big help for parents bringing children. If you can deal with focussing the entire day around your child and his/her comfort, or if you can hand your child off to someone else to take back to the hotel (or take the kid back yourself), I would say GO FOR IT. If you are going to try to see all of the bands you like and really don't want to miss any part of that and can't take the kid away when he/she is done, DON'T bring your kid.

canexplain
02-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Anyone who thinks kids should not be at festivals is not any fun at all. When is a kid not a kid anymore anyway. Is it teenager, 18, 21, why let's hike it up to 25 and no one under 25 can get into coachella. lame .... cr*****

zajaa
02-05-2010, 10:03 AM
how much shit do you remember from when you were 4?

i personally have these little blips of memories from being really little and going to parks and zoos and amusement parks and such. they're more a still image or two than a detailed movie, but i still remember being in the sun and feeling awe and little-kid happiness. i don't see why this wouldn't be the case for a little one at Coachella.

and realistically, if you're trying to "introduce" your kid to music and art at coachella, you're dumb.

flat out disagree. i hope you change your mind before you have kids!

dont be a douche and bring a kid thats not gonna be able to hang.

agree here - if the child has a fussy temperament, or for some other reason wouldn't be able to handle a full day there, then do not bring them.

but i think there are many kids who are troopers and would have a blast just being with their parents outside in the beautiful weather, surrounded by smiling people and good vibes. look at the pictures of the kids above and tell me otherwise. i think it's really more about the parent's ability to accommodate the needs of a small child (and willingness to take on this added duty) than whether or not the child can handle it.

billtino
02-05-2010, 10:03 AM
If you are ok with being a responsible adult and caregiver to your kids when you could be going buck wild like you used to before you had kids, then go ahead and bring em. Beware, you will be watched under a microscope & be ready for an ass chewing if I see you didn't bring sun block, a hat & ear plugs of some sort for your kids.
My kids have asthma, severe eczema & history of seizures & I would rather not have to worry about all THAT when I'm trying to get my dose of crazy one weekend of the year. For one, I'd have to be sober. Two, grandparents in SoCal ftw!

Laura owns you
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
i personally have these little blips of memories from being really little and going to parks and zoos and amusement parks and such. they're more a still image or two than a detailed movie, but i still remember being in the sun and feeling awe and little-kid happiness. i don't see why this wouldn't be the case for a little one at Coachella.

flat out disagree. i hope you change your mind before you have kids!

agree here - if the child has a fussy temperament, or for some other reason wouldn't be able to handle a full day there, then do not bring them.

but i think there are many kids who are troopers and would have a blast just being with their parents outside in the beautiful weather, surrounded by smiling people and good vibes. look at the pictures of the kids above and tell me otherwise. i think it's really more about the parent's ability to accommodate the needs of a small child (and willingness to take on this added duty) than whether or not the child can handle it.

dont quote the first part of a point and ignore the second. trying to introduce a kid to something like art or music at a huge festival is a stupid idea. its overwhelming for small children. there are concerts and museums everywhere that exist for the exact purpose of introducing small children to art and music. "introducing" your kid to such things at a festival of this scale is not a good idea, i don't care what kind of little angels you think you have. newsflash: most of the other people at said festival wont agree.

while i have seen several happy smiley babies at coachella, they pale in comparison to the temper tantrums and pouty faces i see from both kids and parents when the kids hit their wall at 7pm.

and btw, fuck off. my kid will not be introduced to music at a festival full of druggies and lasers. stop thinking its cool to drag babies to grown up shit. its not, and no one thinks you're a super cool parent for dragging your kid out there.

zajaa
02-05-2010, 11:34 AM
u seem to view coachella as a fundamentally bad environment, and children as a chore. so glad i don't see the world through your negative, angry viewpoint.

elChurro
02-05-2010, 11:47 AM
If I was a toddler or even five and I got lost at Coachella if even for a brief moment, I would freak the fuck out, even more so if I were the parent.

Moral of the story: Don't have children.

donkey sex
02-05-2010, 12:43 PM
bet there are a few hand over the eyes moments. Or not. Maybe you take and watch video with the kids later to relive the special moments. Police tazered nude guy, art riot, The Hoff doing whatever The Hoff does.

But we really shouldn't be judgmental. Coachella allows kids. It's up to the parents and how they want to raise there kids. I don't think there is anything wrong with it personally. There are enough cops on staff where we can't get really crazy anyway. As long as you aint tryin to take an infant to the front of the crowd during NIN or something ("excuse me, please be careful, I'm holding a child").

JustSteve
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
dont quote the first part of a point and ignore the second. trying to introduce a kid to something like art or music at a huge festival is a stupid idea. its overwhelming for small children. there are concerts and museums everywhere that exist for the exact purpose of introducing small children to art and music. "introducing" your kid to such things at a festival of this scale is not a good idea, i don't care what kind of little angels you think you have. newsflash: most of the other people at said festival wont agree.

while i have seen several happy smiley babies at coachella, they pale in comparison to the temper tantrums and pouty faces i see from both kids and parents when the kids hit their wall at 7pm.

and btw, fuck off. my kid will not be introduced to music at a festival full of druggies and lasers. stop thinking its cool to drag babies to grown up shit. its not, and no one thinks you're a super cool parent for dragging your kid out there.

sorry your parents fucked you up.

alleysin
02-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Police tazered nude guy.

haha, he has a penis like a doorbell.

algunz
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
if i recall she only had her there for a few hours and then grandma came and picked her up and took her back to where they were staying.

This is correct. I would never have my child there in the middle of the hottest part of the day or after dark. We had in and out access last year, so this made all the difference. I don't think she'll be coming this year though, because grandma wants to stay home. :)

jamesc2929
02-06-2010, 04:36 AM
The main problem for me with kids at Coachella is the parents who make all the space around them about them and their kids. They want you to move for them, make space, stand behind them and their kids on their shoulders, listen to the bitching, and the like.

They are your kids, but don't expect everyone else to think its the greatest thing in the world. And if I see one more parent allowing their kid to listen to a band like My Bloody Valentine WITHOUT ear plugs I think I'll file child abuse charges; that is a crime.
Bring your kids, but they are YOUR responsibility.

stuporfly
02-06-2010, 05:30 AM
I brought my 7-year old daughter for Friday last year. She wore ear protection and sunscreen, stayed hydrated and well-fed and took time out to sit in the shade and relax. She loved Paul McCartney (she's a huge Beatle fan, and also a vegetarian), Los Campesinos! and Franz Ferdinand (watching all bands from a distance), but was not into Morrissey at all, taking a nice pre-Macca nap on my shoulder. She also enjoyed seeing the Do Lab (in passing, mind you), many of the art installations and the colorful clothes people wore.

She still says it was one of the best days of her life, and if she wanted to go back for another day, I'd bring her along again.

myelectrolife
02-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Well because a lot of people that come to coachella dont live in southern CA. I grew up in WI. I remember when I was about 7 and my family and I went to Tucson AZ to visit my cousins. We were suppose to be there for a week. However My cousins and I played outside in the sun/ heat (which is much hotter and dryer then WI) for the first couple of days when I started to get sick. I was so dehydrated I had to go to the hospital and stay over night hooked up to an IV. Man, that is such a good memory! I wish I could relive that horrific experience over and over.

Kids are NOT small adults.

donkey sex
02-06-2010, 09:46 AM
haha, he has a penis like a doorbell.

“my pee pee bigger than that, daddy”

Kids are allowed at the festival. But you may want to consider restricting their use of the message boards. Or at least sit there with them on the computer explaining things (“what does ‘gonna be raped’ mean, daddy?” “they are saying that he will be forced sexually without his consent” “oh, like you do to mommy sometimes”)

RODGERRAMJET
02-06-2010, 09:49 AM
No wonder our public schools are so fucked up in the US. No wonder. Leave your kids at home! Hire a babysitter. If you can not afford a babysitter, you have no business even coming to Coachella yourself! I can't believe some parents. Common sense should dictate that you don't bring little kids into the Coachella-type of environment. Parents just don't know how to parent anymore. They haven't got a lick of common sense. No wonder kids act the way they do in the public schools. No wonder. Here's an idea: Take your children to an art galley, or a science museum! Hell, let them spend a day with you at Barnes & Noble. Do something really positive with your children. Keep them away from Coachella. It's an Adult-Thang. Adults deserve some quality time for themselves, and Coachella is one of those places. Leave the kiddies at home. Or, if you chose to make the foolish mistake and bring them--suffer. Don't expect others at the festival to think your kids are "cute" and can run wild and do whatever they want. If they get trampled in the crowd, get dehydrated, get......if your children get hurt, if will be your conscience, not mine. Is it worth the hassle? Is it worth the risk? Just sayin'. Think this through logically, and leave the kids at home.

zajaa
02-06-2010, 11:12 AM
A strip club is an adults only place. Smokey bars and casinos are adults only places. But contrary to popular belief, fresh air and rock n roll are not gonna hurt little Johnny. It's just music people.

zajaa
02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Well because a lot of people that come to coachella dont live in southern CA. I grew up in WI. I remember when I was about 7 and my family and I went to Tucson AZ to visit my cousins. We were suppose to be there for a week. However My cousins and I played outside in the sun/ heat (which is much hotter and dryer then WI) for the first couple of days when I started to get sick. I was so dehydrated I had to go to the hospital and stay over night hooked up to an IV. Man, that is such a good memory! I wish I could relive that horrific experience over and over.

Kids are NOT small adults.

So is the moral of the story that your parents should not have taken you with them? Or should they have just kept an eye on you, kept you hydrated, you know, 'parenting'?

algunz
02-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I think the issue is not the kids; it's the parents. There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Sadly I have seen the wrong way to bring kids to Coachella. It kills me when I see tiny infants and babies red faced, sweating, and miserable. I want to call security and have the parents escorted out. Or kids running around seemingly unattended as the day quickly turns to night and will worry the rest of the night hoping that the parents were near and have since found the kids a safe haven for the dark time.

Stupidity breeds stupidity. I see that in many of the "adults" that frequent the festival.

donkey sex
02-06-2010, 01:20 PM
"you seen my mom, meister?"

"Your mom? Hmmm, oh yeahhh. Many times. She's everywhere. All around. Hmmm"

"okay, meister."

RODGERRAMJET
02-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I think the issue is not the kids; it's the parents. There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Sadly I have seen the wrong way to bring kids to Coachella. It kills me when I see tiny infants and babies red faced, sweating, and miserable. I want to call security and have the parents escorted out. Or kids running around seemingly unattended as the day quickly turns to night and will worry the rest of the night hoping that the parents were near and have since found the kids a safe haven for the dark time.

Stupidity breeds stupidity. I see that in many of the "adults" that frequent the festival.

Exactly. More than once last year I wanted to call C.P.S. I still hold my ground that Coachella is no place for kids, especially little ones. Too much that could go wrong, esp. if the parents are "partyers" and lose track of Little Johnnie.

Laura owns you
02-07-2010, 05:51 PM
u seem to view coachella as a fundamentally bad environment, and children as a chore. so glad i don't see the world through your negative, angry viewpoint.

coachella is a fundamentally bad environment, its why i'm willing to pay so much money to go there.

and children are a chore. they're fucking useless little people that don't pay rent.

if you saw the world through my negative, angry viewpoint.....well, you'd have a more realistic view of the world.

why don't you skip coachella and go see disney on ice?

Laura owns you
02-07-2010, 05:53 PM
sorry your parents fucked you up.

nah, they did a great job. i had to expose MYSELF to drugs and debauchery, they didn't do it for me.

and they brought me up smart enough to know better than to bring children to coachella, so apparently mine did a better job than yours.

Monklish
02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Nothing better than watching people with deep-seated issues with their parents rant about the right way to raise a child.

zajaa
02-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Please don't procreate

JustSteve
02-07-2010, 06:28 PM
and children are a chore. they're fucking useless little people that don't pay rent.

if you saw the world through my negative, angry viewpoint.....well, you'd have a more realistic view of the world.

too bad your parents didn't abort, i guess?

sorry the world you've created for yourself isn't working out too well.

mine is amazing, 2 kids and all.

rskapcat
02-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Laura, for every idiot parent that brings a toddler into the Sahara without ear protection (yes, I actually saw this in 2008 during SMD), there's a responsible parent like Crispin (I had the pleasure of running into him & his daughter last year). Broad generalizations never apply to everyone, & it makes you sound both irrational & unintelligent when you act like they do. (This is coming from a child-free gal who doesn't like kids, so it's not like I have parent bias.)

arod2789
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
No wonder our public schools are so fucked up in the US. No wonder. Leave your kids at home! Hire a babysitter. If you can not afford a babysitter, you have no business even coming to Coachella yourself! I can't believe some parents. Common sense should dictate that you don't bring little kids into the Coachella-type of environment. Parents just don't know how to parent anymore. They haven't got a lick of common sense. No wonder kids act the way they do in the public schools. No wonder. Here's an idea: Take your children to an art galley, or a science museum! Hell, let them spend a day with you at Barnes & Noble. Do something really positive with your children. Keep them away from Coachella. It's an Adult-Thang. Adults deserve some quality time for themselves, and Coachella is one of those places. Leave the kiddies at home. Or, if you chose to make the foolish mistake and bring them--suffer. Don't expect others at the festival to think your kids are "cute" and can run wild and do whatever they want. If they get trampled in the crowd, get dehydrated, get......if your children get hurt, if will be your conscience, not mine. Is it worth the hassle? Is it worth the risk? Just sayin'. Think this through logically, and leave the kids at home.

I hope you stay home. I'd cry if i saw you there.

Laura owns you
02-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Laura, for every idiot parent that brings a toddler into the Sahara without ear protection (yes, I actually saw this in 2008 during SMD), there's a responsible parent like Crispin (I had the pleasure of running into him & his daughter last year). Broad generalizations never apply to everyone, & it makes you sound both irrational & unintelligent when you act like they do. (This is coming from a child-free gal who doesn't like kids, so it's not like I have parent bias.)

while i understand that there are some parents that do it well, i've seen it like twice. i flat out believe that children do not belong at coachella, and if that makes me irrational and unintelligent, i'd prefer to stay that way.

i think anyone who would dream of taking children to such an event is about as unintelligent as you can possibly get, but, whatever. if their kids come near me, the situation is quickly handled with scary faces and loud noises, so its not really a concern, but if theres a thread on the board with other people saying its fine to bring kids, i'm gonna shit on their parade as hard as i can. and before i do said shitting, i'm going to drink a gallon of coffee and eat a ton of indian food.

Laura owns you
02-08-2010, 05:24 AM
too bad your parents didn't abort, i guess?

sorry the world you've created for yourself isn't working out too well.

mine is amazing, 2 kids and all.

the world i've created for myself works out just fine. congrats on your two kids. if they come near me at coachella i will not be nice to them. you've been warned.

JustSteve
02-08-2010, 09:09 AM
post your picture so i can find you, they can play "ring around the rosie" around your grump ass.

GuyInTucson
02-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a 6-year old and won't allow her anywhere near this for many years. Hopefully it will still be around 10-15 years from now.

algunz
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Wow, Laura! You just owned us all. I'm going to dump my child at the nearest hospital as soon as possible, because clearly there is no hope. :(

OnlyNonStranger
02-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Every chick I meet at Coachella has potential to have a kid..

locachica73
02-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't understand why people bring kids into a bar to be around drunk ass people, so for me coachella is an even bigger stretch. I mean, it's all good knowing you're a good parent and will keep your eye on your kids, I get that. But there are so many people at coachella, people who are very obviously intoxicated on something. You can't watch your kids every minute, especially with that many people around. It just takes a minute for something horrible to happen. I would never want to put my kids into that sort of danger. But then again, I use to get nervous taking my kids to disneyland.

RODGERRAMJET
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't understand why people bring kids into a bar to be around drunk ass people, so for me coachella is an even bigger stretch. I mean, it's all good knowing you're a good parent and will keep your eye on your kids, I get that. But there are so many people at coachella, people who are very obviously intoxicated on something. You can't watch your kids every minute, especially with that many people around. It just takes a minute for something horrible to happen. I would never want to put my kids into that sort of danger. But then again, I use to get nervous taking my kids to disneyland.

All it's gonna take is one kid to get abducted, or killed, or just seriously injured at Coachella, Golden Voice gets sued, and it's No More Coachella. Do your child and the rest of us a favor: hire a babysitter. Please.

JustSteve
02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
lots of child rapists and kidnappers hanging out at coachella. sure are.

locachica73
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately, if you get enough people in one place I would bet at least one of them is twisted the wrong way.

captncrzy
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
There are some seriously fucking stupid people in here. If you don't have a child, you don't get to raise your opinion on whether or not you should bring one. You don't know jack shit about parenting or raising a child to be a decent human being.

I expressed why I wouldn't bring my kid last year and was lambasted for it. I stand by my reasoning that it's not the proper environment for a kid (of mine), but I don't care if anyone else brings their kids with them. Kids certainly don't bother me any. I will, however, call CPS if I see a kid in the Sahara without ear protection (like last year). For fucks sakes, assholes. Earplugs are like $2.

Also, Laura's a cunt.

Dooney
02-08-2010, 01:47 PM
say what you guys want, but why would they have dj lance rock from yo gabba gabba play at coachella if it wasnt kid friendly?

ya, im sure he's fun to trip out to, but at least your kids can relate to something!

yardbird
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
I have no problem if parents want to bring little ones to Coachella as long as they aren't going to stand in tents or get smashed near the front of the stage.

If they stay back by the mainstage and only stay a few hours, it could be a fun event for the family.

I'm more worried about bringing teenage girls to the show...

stuporfly
02-09-2010, 08:07 AM
while i understand that there are some parents that do it well, i've seen it like twice. i flat out believe that children do not belong at coachella, and if that makes me irrational and unintelligent, i'd prefer to stay that way.

i think anyone who would dream of taking children to such an event is about as unintelligent as you can possibly get, but, whatever. if their kids come near me, the situation is quickly handled with scary faces and loud noises, so its not really a concern, but if theres a thread on the board with other people saying its fine to bring kids, i'm gonna shit on their parade as hard as i can. and before i do said shitting, i'm going to drink a gallon of coffee and eat a ton of indian food.

When you start your own festival, Miserable Bitchapalooza, you can lay out the ground rules however you see fit. But as long as Coachella says it's okay for kids to come, your shitty coffee breath and shitty Indian food pants are gonna have to deal with them being around.

Dooney
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Also, Laura's a cunt.

true dat

angelique
02-28-2010, 08:13 PM
we brought our baby to coachella last year. he is almost 2 so we will not be bringing him this year because it will just be too much for him. We did not have any problems with drunks or drugs. We Kept his ears well protected. I would recommend Peltor Junior earmuffs. They are around $20. It is an absolute must. Regular ear plugs will not be good enough. There were a lot of stupid parents who did not protect their kids ears. No one gave us a hard time bout our baby. He mostly just slept in the stroller or danced with us. It really wouldnt be too much fun for himt his year so keep that in mind.

LABYRINTHMISERY
02-28-2010, 09:04 PM
I TOOK MY SON TO COACHELLA, VERY GOOD.
KIDS SMOKING AT COACHELLA NOT SO GOOD

C DUB YA
02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
say what you guys want, but why would they have dj lance rock from yo gabba gabba play at coachella if it wasnt kid friendly?

ya, im sure he's fun to trip out to, but at least your kids can relate to something!

It isn't a yo gabba gabba show.

NaughtySquirrel
03-01-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't recall seeing kids last year. Guess I wasn't paying attention. I've babysat my sisters' kids for years and taken them on day trips to museums, theatres, parks and the like. That being said, as well behaved and generally good spirited as they are I would never bring them to Coachella. It would be overwhelming for them and, frankly, would probably end up ruining my experience. But, the parents in this thread, like stuporfly, seem to know exactly what they're doing and have probably given their kids wonderful memories.

By the way, gypsy82, your kid has the coolest backpack I've ever seen.

Changoloco
03-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I like to torture kids too!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/jackieharris/l_85368ba801be4722a8488a1fdeb985be.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/jackieharris/l_af6432584c014fe296f666cf14305866.jpg

I think that all kids would be horrified to have this much fun. Bring the kids, I am bringing my son next year.

jlandgren
03-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I have seen kids every year that I have gone, and every year I am shocked. Its not an issue of the heat as much as it is an issue of the adult behavior. Kids don't need to be in the middle of a huge adult party. It's like taking your kid to a rave. I wouldn't take my kids. And not to mention the risk of losing your child in a crowd of 70,000 people.

Changoloco
03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I have seen kids every year that I have gone, and every year I am shocked. Its not an issue of the heat as much as it is an issue of the adult behavior. Kids don't need to be in the middle of a huge adult party. It's like taking your kid to a rave. I wouldn't take my kids. And not to mention the risk of losing your child in a crowd of 70,000 people.

So by your estimation we are supposed to shelter our children from, normal, adult behavior until they are how old? Is 10 ok? 14-15? 18? My kids can see adult behavior when they are walking down the streets of SF. There are bums in the Tenderloin shooting junk on the side of the road. There are drunk people walking out of bars, EVERYWHERE. I think that sheltering your kids from things and not talking about them is the worst possible thing to do. Knowledge is power and it is your responsibility as a parent to be open and honest with them about the number of "Adult" things that they will be confronted with throughout their childhood and adolescence.

Furthermore, I am bringing my son next year because I feel that he would enjoy it. If he does not, I will not be bringing him again.

I think that everyone tends to determine what they think the child will be observing. So let's give a scenario. Say that I am walking along the polo fields with my son. To the left there is this huge metal sculpture of a snake with flames coming out of it. To the right, there are 2 drugged up and drunk people making fools out of themselves. Try to put yourself back to the age of 6-7. What do you think you would be more interested in? If I remember corectly, I would've been focused on the flaming serpent. That's just me though. Now fast forward, when you ask your child, "Remember Coachella?" Do you really think that their memory would be of the 2 people making fools of themselves or the fire-breathing serpent that they were able to see? Pretty cut and dry to me.

And again, I will be bringing my son next year.

jlandgren
03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
So by your estimation we are supposed to shelter our children from, normal, adult behavior until they are how old? Is 10 ok? 14-15? 18? My kids can see adult behavior when they are walking down the streets of SF. There are bums in the Tenderloin shooting junk on the side of the road. There are drunk people walking out of bars, EVERYWHERE. I think that sheltering your kids from things and not talking about them is the worst possible thing to do. Knowledge is power and it is your responsibility as a parent to be open and honest with them about the number of "Adult" things that they will be confronted with throughout their childhood and adolescence.

Furthermore, I am bringing my son next year because I feel that he would enjoy it. If he does not, I will not be bringing him again.

I think that everyone tends to determine what they think the child will be observing. So let's give a scenario. Say that I am walking along the polo fields with my son. To the left there is this huge metal sculpture of a snake with flames coming out of it. To the right, there are 2 drugged up and drunk people making fools out of themselves. Try to put yourself back to the age of 6-7. What do you think you would be more interested in? If I remember corectly, I would've been focused on the flaming serpent. That's just me though. Now fast forward, when you ask your child, "Remember Coachella?" Do you really think that their memory would be of the 2 people making fools of themselves or the fire-breathing serpent that they were able to see? Pretty cut and dry to me.

And again, I will be bringing my son next year.
I live in Vegas, the adult behavior capital. There are environments which are appropriate for children and ones that are not. And by children I mean elementary school age and below. Not teenagers. If I'm going down to the strip for a show where I know there will be excessive drug use and profane behavior the kids will stay at home. If I'm going to the strip to see a show that is conservative the kids can come. I'm not worried about my child having memories of Coachella. When they're teenagers they can go. No need for a little one.

weezy f baby
03-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I plan on taking my child to Coachella... if it still exists when they're like 13 or 14.

Changoloco
03-05-2010, 02:06 AM
I live in Vegas, the adult behavior capital. There are environments which are appropriate for children and ones that are not. And by children I mean elementary school age and below. Not teenagers. If I'm going down to the strip for a show where I know there will be excessive drug use and profane behavior the kids will stay at home. If I'm going to the strip to see a show that is conservative the kids can come. I'm not worried about my child having memories of Coachella. When they're teenagers they can go. No need for a little one.

What is so bad at Coachella that you don't deem ok for your kids? Are there people doing lines off of girls tits in the middle of the field? Are the junkies jacking up right next to Mojave? You could just keep your kids in a bubble for the next few years of their lives right? There is nothing going on there that would affect a child negatively. Some parents are waaaay too over-protective.

lampshade
03-05-2010, 02:36 AM
I've never been so I'm just curious. Is it common for people to bring little younglings to Coachella? I'm talking 3 to 5 years in age.

Kids at Coachella is fine.. I've been going for years and the only thing you should worry about is the sun, keeping them hydrated and close by. Be sure to take ear muffs or ear plugs to protect their lil ears. I see children at Coachella all the time. When I have kids, I'm taking them and we will not wear shoes, picnic and play in the water while we are listening to awesome music and looking at beautiful art and scenery.

Theres crap everywhere all the time, don't let it ruin your experience.

lampshade
03-05-2010, 02:41 AM

Coachella is not a rave... lol Children are shocking lol

stuporfly
03-05-2010, 05:36 AM
I live in Brooklyn. My daughter sees way more depraved, disgusting shit in five minutes on the subway or the street than she did all Friday long at Coachella last year. And we live in a good neighborhood!

You dopes want to pretend the festival is some Bacchanalian orgy unfit for Victorian sensibilities, knock yourselves out. But it's still pretty tame compared to what goes on in the real world. If a parent isn't a total scumbag, Coachella is an excellent experience for a family. And none of the whiny, entitled assholes saying otherwise in this thread have staked a convincing claim to the contrary.

Chew your mescaline, sneak your tiny hotel room whiskey bottle in by sticking it down your asscrack (saw that on line last year), jump around like a buffoon, have a good time. If you can't deal with doing all that with kids in the area, that's your problem. As long as the parents are responsible (as quite a few in this very thread have demonstrated), everyone wins.

rskapcat
03-05-2010, 05:39 AM
I :pulse you, Crispin. But you already knew that.

stuporfly
03-05-2010, 05:48 AM
I :pulse you, Crispin. But you already knew that.

Aw, shucks.

And the feeling is mutual!

Changoloco
03-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I live in Brooklyn. My daughter sees way more depraved, disgusting shit in five minutes on the subway or the street than she did all Friday long at Coachella last year. And we live in a good neighborhood!

You dopes want to pretend the festival is some Bacchanalian orgy unfit for Victorian sensibilities, knock yourselves out. But it's still pretty tame compared to what goes on in the real world. If a parent isn't a total scumbag, Coachella is an excellent experience for a family. And none of the whiny, entitled assholes saying otherwise in this thread have staked a convincing claim to the contrary.

Chew your mescaline, sneak your tiny hotel room whiskey bottle in by sticking it down your asscrack (saw that on line last year), jump around like a buffoon, have a good time. If you can't deal with doing all that with kids in the area, that's your problem. As long as the parents are responsible (as quite a few in this very thread have demonstrated), everyone wins.

Thank you, my point exactly.