PDA

View Full Version : Good bars nearby for Thursday night?

dave23
01-26-2010, 10:21 AM
First time at Coachella this year. I'll be at the Embassy Suites in La Quinta. Anyone know of any decent bars in the area? I'm arriving Thursday and will need something to do Thursday night.

Thanks.

captncrzy
01-26-2010, 10:25 AM
They're all mostly lame. Try to get into the Filter Magazine pre-party.

locachica73
01-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I went to a restaurant in Palm Springs awhile back called Hair of the Dog. Can't remember where exactly it is but they have great bloody marys. My girlfriend and I would stop in there whenever we took a road trip to LA for "lunch".

Cammo
01-26-2010, 10:45 AM
^ not a bad place at all

dave23
01-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I also heard that this place is good. Not really into sports bars, but the beer selection is great and I figure it might attract a Coachella crowd that night.

http://www.laquintabeerhunter.com/

captncrzy
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I think there's a Yardhouse near LaQuinta somewhere. Maybe in Palm Desert?

locachica73
01-26-2010, 11:05 AM
There is, we had lunch and beer there in 2008. You can never go wrong with Yard House.

elChurro
01-26-2010, 11:11 AM
hair of the dog is in palm springs, yard house you'll find in rancho mirage, and la quinta has the beer hunter which is close to embassy suites, just not sure what its like. filter pre-party... yea right, you're not getting in.

ADGZ662
01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Lets see, Embassy Suites in the La Quinta Cove so the closest bars would be in the Old Town plaza across the street but if you want some good old cheesy kareoke fun and getting plastered with all the fun drunks, go to Neils Lounge on hwy 111 and Madison st next to the Circle K gas station in Indio trust me you'll have the most fun at that dive bar.

ADGZ662
01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I think there's a Yardhouse near LaQuinta somewhere. Maybe in Palm Desert?

Yardhouse is in Rancho Mirage and a lil too far if your staying in La Quinta and plan on getting drunk

zajaa
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
watch out for the thursday evening mistake {this is especially applicable to campers}... the excitement of finally arriving in indio, after months of anticipation, can sometimes result in booze over indulgence — this leads to a painful friday morning and a shitty start to your weekend. drink carefully!

fiopadp7791
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM
They're all mostly lame. Try to get into the Filter Magazine pre-party.

Is that happening this year? I missed last year's fest, but I heard it didn't go down in '09. It was a lot of fun in '08, except for waiting for the shuttles at the end of the night lol.

vogina
01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
right where the 79, 60 & 10 meet in Beaumont city, a place called Celebrities cocktail & food lounge exists.

This place has got the perfect feel to it, & serves amazing lounge food.

I only suggest this place as a last pit stop of society before entering the 3 day weekend. It's a nice place to fuel up, relieve some of the tension from driving for quite some time (coming from Nor Cal, LA or OC california) and they have cheap drinks; bloody marrys, vodka crans, margaritas $5. &&&& They have karoke so if your a late nighters arriving into the weekend, it's a great place to also get some drinks and practice your vocals!!

It's just far enough to let the food settle for the last 40 minute trek to the fields and to get your engine rolling right when you step off your car.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=from:%20550%20Beaumont%20Avenue,%20Beaumont,%20C A%2092223-2233%20(Celebrities%20Restaurant%20and%20Cocktail% 20Lounge)%20to:%2033.678283,-116.242561&aql=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

GaragePoet
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
i can vouch for the beer hunter... hell of a selection at that place. i know we ordered some appetizers, but food was not a priority...

jimmycrackcorn
01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
I went to a restaurant in Palm Springs awhile back called Hair of the Dog. Can't remember where exactly it is but they have great bloody marys.

it's on palm canyon drive...
it's the main strip in downtown palm springs...
there's a NYPD (pizza joint) right across from it

JustSteve
01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
right where the 79, 60 & 10 meet in Beaumont city, a place called Celebrities cocktail & food lounge exists.

This place has got the perfect feel to it, & serves amazing lounge food.

I only suggest this place as a last pit stop of society before entering the 3 day weekend. It's a nice place to fuel up, relieve some of the tension from driving for quite some time (coming from Nor Cal, LA or OC california) and they have cheap drinks

yeah, that hour and a half of driving from oc creates a lot of tension.

JustSteve
01-26-2010, 05:32 PM
showgirls in catherdral city, haha.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-26-2010, 05:41 PM
My group has dinner at Sizzler every year on Thursday

dave23
01-27-2010, 07:50 AM
i can vouch for the beer hunter... hell of a selection at that place. i know we ordered some appetizers, but food was not a priority...

Good to hear. How was the crowd?

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. The Filter party doesn't sound like my kind of thing. (A lot of work to get to a big crowd and limited alcohol.)

profchaos
01-28-2010, 05:20 PM
There is a new bar in Palm Desert called the Hood, It's about ten minutes from the Beer hunter in La quinta off of highway 111. It has pictures of past Coachella fest's all over the walls, It even has a signed guitar from Josh Homme and Jesse Hughes who have both been there a bunch of times because they are from Palm Desert. It has a younger crowd and this will be your best place to hang out with people who are just excited about the festival as you are. On Thursdays they have seven dollar bud light pitchers.

jazzz
01-28-2010, 05:26 PM
If your in Palm Springs Thursday night The Amigo Room Bar at Ace Hotel will be were the fun is at!

dave23
01-29-2010, 05:55 AM
I found this list. Don't know much about them:

1. Jackalope Ranch, Indio

2. Yard House, Palm Desert

3. Lobby Bar, Marriott Desert Springs, Palm Desert

4. Palmer’s La Quinta

5. Cliffhouse, La Quinta

6. The Hood, Palm Desert

7. Red Barn, Palm Desert

8. Beer Hunter, La Quinta

9. Castelli’s, Palm Desert

10. Armando’s Dakota, Palm Desert

ArcadeParade
01-29-2010, 06:30 AM
My group has dinner at Sizzler every year on Thursday

I'm goin Sizzla

lizng
01-29-2010, 06:53 AM
every time I see this thread name, my inner fat kid screams out for this:

http://charbonews.com/uploads/2008/09/mrgoodbar.jpg

Dirk Diggler
01-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Dont forget that embassy suites has FREE drinks from 5:30-7:30 pm

dekra
01-29-2010, 12:07 PM
you guys are all missing out if you havent been to Stuft Pizza in La Quinta. They have the best pizza I have ever had (and I have had pizza in Chicago and New York), great beer, and great people. Check it out you wont be dissapointed.

captncrzy
01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I found this list. Don't know much about them:

1. Jackalope Ranch, Indio

2. Yard House, Palm Desert

3. Lobby Bar, Marriott Desert Springs, Palm Desert

4. Palmerís La Quinta

5. Cliffhouse, La Quinta

6. The Hood, Palm Desert

7. Red Barn, Palm Desert

8. Beer Hunter, La Quinta

9. Castelliís, Palm Desert

10. Armandoís Dakota, Palm Desert

We went to a bar next door to the Red Barn last year on Thursday night. It was dead as doornails. He said they usually close around 9 or so because no one is ever in there during the week.

JustSteve
01-29-2010, 02:03 PM
wonder if josh and the boys will be hanging out at the hood while in town?

BROKENDOLL
01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
We went to a bar next door to the Red Barn last year on Thursday night. It was dead as doornails. He said they usually close around 9 or so because no one is ever in there during the week.
The RED BARN is a bar. In fact, a lot of local bands start out there. Not sure what's next to it though. If your crew has a house at I.P. though, I'd play it safe and hold your own party. I'm sure the PD will be out in force. :(
YARDHOUSE is a good choice as long as there's a designated driver and NIEL'S Lounge is really close. Used to be a real dive but new ownership changed that. (I tended bar there with the previous owner and he never gave a shit about the place. New owner remodeled the whole place and unfortunately, last year just before Coach and Stagecoach, they got hit by an arsonist and shut down. Bummer timing, but they're back open, remodeled again. Pretty sure they have Karaoke, and it wouldn't suprise me if she went and got live music for those weekends.)

Theijuiel
01-29-2010, 04:06 PM
The Barracks in Cathedral City, if you are brave enough.

jimmycrackcorn
01-29-2010, 04:29 PM
The Barracks in Cathedral City, if you are brave enough.

you should at least warn people that's a gay bar...