PDA

View Full Version : Mew-skies

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwttyMcbRNM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwttyMcbRNM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

just discovered them this week. at 2:17 i smiled. anyone else plan on seeing them?

TomServo
01-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm gonna try them again. Got all excited to see them with NIN, then nobody in my group so much as slightly enjoyed the show.

I still kinda liked 'em, though. I think it helps to know what to expect.

margotnuclear
01-25-2010, 08:39 PM
fuckin love this band. so stoked

Cammo
01-25-2010, 08:42 PM
i kinda like it

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 08:45 PM
it reminds me of something but i cant think of it. i want to say arcade fire, but not really.

RockStr4Life
01-26-2010, 12:15 AM
I love Mew...they're amazing live. Didn't know they played with NIN.

aguadulce
01-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I agree they remind of me something I cant think of. Arcade Fire
is kind of the thing, but not exactly. Vocals are a little death cab
for cutie.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-26-2010, 08:21 AM
I am hearing only great things about their live show, so i am stoked

Eliwood
01-26-2010, 08:26 AM
it reminds me of something but i cant think of it. i want to say arcade fire, but not really.

I agree they remind of me something I cant think of. Arcade Fire
is kind of the thing, but not exactly. Vocals are a little death cab
for cutie.

... did you copy what I wrote? or was it an unreal coincidence?

Darth_Bater
01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Definitely will be there for this show. I have been listening to them for years, but have never seen a live show. Cant wait!

AlecEiffel
01-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Vocals are a little death cab
for cutie.

Really? I don't hear that at all.

TomServo
01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
I am hearing only great things about their live show, so i am stoked

I went to the Mew/NIN show at the Palladium with five friends, and all of them hated Mew. They spent the entire show mocking the lead singer's voice, and basically got nothing out of it.

I compare it to the time I saw "The Big Lebowski" with a bunch of Republicans. I enjoyed it fairly well, but I was in the severe minority. Knowing the music (what to expect) is probably key to enjoying Mew.

zajaa
01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
sometimes trent's opener decisions seem so enlightened but then you realize nin fans are largely meatheads. i was at that palladium show, and i think the crowd was still eventually won over

HAMMERHEAD
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Seen them twice live and I regard both performances among my favorite live experiences. They are unbelievably tight and I'm pretty sure every person in that band provides backing vocals when they play shows. They are always spot on, every single one of them. This needs to be an evening act imo

sonicc
01-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Someone call my name?

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/12045/images/mew.gif

TomServo
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
sometimes trent's opener decisions seem so enlightened but then you realize nin fans are largely meatheads. i was at that palladium show, and i think the crowd was still eventually won over

That's why I was so interested in seeing them - Trent had Tweeted about Mew from Europe, before he announced those dates.

The crowd got more interested the closer we got to NIN-time, for certain. NIN and Gary Numan were both great that night... just providing another viewpoint so people don't get too hyped.

I stand by my original assessment - become familiar with Mew's music and performances prior to planning on seeing them.

Hawkings
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
oh, liking this, hope no conflicts, reminds me a bit of seeing Belle n Sebastian at Coachella, in terms of mellow music.

frazzles
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Please no Flying Lotus conflict...

ponyup
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM

could it be Le Loup? that's what I'm hearing.

Darth_Bater
02-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Any one seen these guys live - what is their show like?

ivankay
02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
i also went to the Palladium show when they opened for NIN. i was in awe and moisture streamed down my face from the things i see with. i kept thinking it was like Sigur Ros and Pink Floyd mixed up. Can't wait to see them again.

hawkingvsreeve
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
I am just going to quote myself from this other thread. (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35490)

Mew are a indie rock band from Denmark who border on being prog kinda stuff, but not like you would think. The album And the Glass Handed Kites is absolutely fantastic, but I know the frontman's voice can be difficult to get into. Their show back in December was the best thing I saw all year, trumping both Grizzly Bear and Fever Ray. I am not sure what it is about these guys, the music just really interests me. At times it's really riff heavy, sometimes really angular, sometimes pop oriented, and it's all blended together very well.

This is a chunk from that Glass Handed Kites album. All of the songs run into each other, so if you can imagine it with no gaps that would be a more accurate way to imagine the transitions.

nXs2V8pgMz8

hsA88gSANts

um3aQ8UB9HM

Here are a couple new ones.

Skip to about 45 seconds on this first one.

8VQKtEGCDJ0

5JoUQ8ty3m0

As a live band Mew are great. A lot of creepy visuals to go with the music, and it is performed very well. I think you should be familiar with them before checking it out though, as the more progressive aspects of their music can throw the casual listener off. And the Glass Handed Kites was my number 13 album from the last decade, so I would highly recommend checking it out.

pachucasunrise
02-25-2010, 06:12 PM
i also went to the Palladium show when they opened for NIN. i was in awe and moisture streamed down my face from the things i see with. i kept thinking it was like Sigur Ros and Pink Floyd mixed up. Can't wait to see them again.

I was there too. I wasn't too big of a fan of them at first, but when they played Comforting Sounds I felt like I was connecting with a higher power.

Grant
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Saw them open for the Pixies and they are incredible. Will not miss

Derekx
02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Probably my number 3 band to see over the weekend. I fell in love with them after their Fonda show in December.