PDA

View Full Version : The "a.k.a." Thread

Edmontonian
01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Ok so this year's lineup contains a slough of solo projects, side projects, supergroups, and pseudonyms. In the interest of assisting anyone who is "less familiar" with some of the names on the lineup, here is a fairly comprehensive list that should clarify who is who on the lineup.

Music Nerds don't bother slamming this thread, I didn't make it for you, just post any I missed. The are some "obvious" ones that I included for completion, and also on the offchance that there are some seriously ill-informed folks floating around on this message board in search of enlightenment.

Friday

LCD Soundsystem a.k.a. James Murphy (DFA Records label head) and his live band, a.k.a. Special Disco Version (DJ set with Pat Mahoney)
Them Crooked Vultures a.k.a. supergroup formed by Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones, Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl, and Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme.
Deadmau5 a.k.a. BSOD (with Steve Duda)
Public Image Limited a.k.a. post-punk project headed by The Sex Pistols' frontman John Lydon a.k.a. Johnny Rotten
Fever Ray solo project of The Knife frontwoman Karin Dreijer Andersson
She & Him a.k.a. M. Ward + Zooey Deschanel
Erol Alkan a.k.a. Mustapha 3000 a.k.a Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve (with Richard Norris)
Wolfgang Gartner a.k.a. Joey Youngman
DJ Lance Rock a.k.a. host of children's TV show "Yo Gabba Gabba!"

Saturday

Faith No More Faith No More lead singer Mike Patton is also known for providing vocals on a variety of projects including Peeping Tom, Fantômas, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Lovage, Zu, solo shows and collaborations with Rahzel, and also, for a brief period, The Dillinger Escape Plan (he is NOT on their current lineup).
The Dead Weather a.k.a. Jack White (The White Stripes/The Raconteurs frontman), Alison Mosshart (of The Kills and Discount), Dean Fertita (of Queens of the Stone Age) and Jack Lawrence (of The Raconteurs and The Greenhornes)
2manydj's a.k.a. Soulwax DJ set
Major Lazer a.k.a. Diplo + Switch
Les Claypool a.k.a. Primus bassist solo project
The Almighty Defenders supergroup formed of members of The Black Lips and The King Khan and BBQ Show

Sunday

Gorillaz virtual band / collaborative project headed by Damon Albarn (Blur/The Good, The Bad and The Queen frontman) and Jamie Hewlett. Productions have featured collaborations from Dan the Automator, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, De La Soul, Neneh Cherry, Martina Topley-Bird, Roots Manuva, MF DOOM, Ike Turner, Bootie Brown of the Pharcyde, Shaun Ryder, Dennis Hopper, Snoop Dogg, Mos Def, Little Dragon, Lou Reed, Mick Jones, and Paul Simonon.
Pavement a.k.a. Stephen Malkmus' original band.
Thom Yorke ???? a.k.a. Radiohead frontman, recently has had Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist) playing with him live
Jonsi a.k.a. Sigur Ros frontman Jón Þór Birgisson
Julian Casablancas a.k.a. The Strokes frontman
Plastikman a.k.a. Richie Hawtin
Club 75 a.k.a. DJ set by Xavier de Rosnay (Justice), Zdar & Boombass (Cassius), Busy P and DJ Mehdi
Deerhunter Deerhunter's lead singer Bradford Cox is also known for his solo project, Atlas Sound
Owen Pallett a.k.a. Final Fantasy
The Glitch Mob a.k.a. Ooah + Boreta + ediT

fatbastard
01-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Edmontonian a.k.a person who states the obvious

Mechanismó
01-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Nice List.

Thom Yorke ???? also includes Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers playing bass

deeznutz
01-25-2010, 03:20 PM
You shouldn't aka beyond the wizards sleeve and Erol Alkan. Erol is one guy in Beyond The Wizards Sleeve and obviously not the most influential of the two in the project.

superfiction
01-25-2010, 03:21 PM
2manydj's a.k.a. Soulwax DJ set

Club 75 a.k.a. DJ set by Xavier de Rosnay (Justice), Zdar & Boombass (Cassius), Busy P and DJ Mehdi

not the same thing as a soulwax dj set.

and club 75 has both members of justice.

JebusLives
01-25-2010, 03:21 PM

fatbastard, aka dipshit. This thread is useful, thanks!

superfiction
01-25-2010, 03:22 PM

uhhh not at all

ohaithereguise
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM

+1

WhyTheLongFace
01-25-2010, 03:24 PM
I think it's useful. I learned about The Almighty Defenders

superfiction
01-25-2010, 03:25 PM
you buncha boob noobs. this is all common fucking knowledge and as i pointed out some of its wrong

ohaithereguise
01-25-2010, 03:27 PM
you buncha boob noobs. this is all common fucking knowledge and as i pointed out some of its wrong

So you know every member of every band on the lineup?

dantoro
01-25-2010, 03:28 PM
AirHorn A.K.A. the new Cowbell

superfiction
01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
So you know every member of every band on the lineup?

i knew everything posted in this thread. the thread isnt about every single band on the lineup you assturd its about people from other bands.

ohaithereguise
01-25-2010, 03:43 PM
i knew everything posted in this thread. the thread isnt about every single band on the lineup you assturd its about people from other bands.

So because YOU know it the other thousands of people who might be interested are irrelevant? Could you be any more of a narcissistic piece of shit?

superfiction
01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
So because YOU know it the other thousands of people who might be interested are irrelevant? Could you be any more of a narcissistic piece of shit?

could you be any more lazy and not pay attention to whats going on on this message board? oh thats right you have like 12 posts or something. its called reading. its fun to do. if youd done it for the past 2 or 3 years youd probably already know what i know

Tandemind
01-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Keep it up, Super, you're winning the message board game. Only a few more douchebag comments and you'll be the Grand Champion.

ohaithereguise
01-25-2010, 03:50 PM
could you be any more lazy and not pay attention to whats going on on this message board? oh thats right you have like 12 posts or something. its called reading. its fun to do. if youd done it for the past 2 or 3 years youd probably already know what i know

I'm lazy because I haven't been reading these forums for the past three years? Please, keep it coming, I'm laughing my ass off over here.

TomServo
01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Just for kicks, you should update all of Mike Patton's projects under a "Faith No More" entry. Heh. You know... it's kind of funny, but younger folks may know him better from Tomahawk, Fantômas, or Peeping Tom, or his solo sounds shows with Rahzel. Even General Patton vs. the X-ecutioners, Lovage or Mr. Bungle - they have a more recent album than Faith No More.

Dude gets around.

superfiction
01-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Keep it up, Super, you're winning the message board game. Only a few more douchebag comments and you'll be the Grand Champion.

you obviously havent met chris or randy. oh thats right. cuz you BARELY POST HERE.

dont you think it gets old for us when year after year new people stream onto the messae board asking the same stupid fucking questions over and over, posting information that exists elsewhere and generally take a shit on the community that exists here?

i lurked for 2 years before i ever posted and it was another year or so before i even started at thread. its called etiquette people. learn it.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
take a chill pill, bro.

superfiction
01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
It's a fucking internet message board, of course the information exists elsewhere. Any idiot can join, don't expect your beloved forum to stay as just you and your buddies shooting the shit and talking about how awesome you all are. And are you seriously suggesting that people need to learn etiquette and somehow earn their right to post here?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ITS A FUCKING INTERNET FORUM. STOP CRYING AND GET OVER IT

the only person crying is you you tool. im just explaining my position (god knows why) its not about how awesome we all are and its great when new people join up and contribute new things. but rehashing the same old obvioious shit is fucking irritating. i dont expect you to change or understand but dont expect me to welcome you with open fucking arms either

Tandemind
01-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Is all the information in the original post in one single thread that already exists?

If not, this thread is helpful. It's called consolidation. It makes things much easier.

p.s. Gaspard is not in Club 75.

ohaithereguise
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Is all the information in the original post in one single thread that already exists?

If not, this thread is helpful. It's called consolidation. It makes things much easier.

Exactly

superfiction
01-25-2010, 04:10 PM

p.s. you are proving my point

http://coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1513867&postcount=57

tmac
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
helpful OP. thanks a lot

nationocean

shut the fuck up.

JewFace
superfiction: Take a breath, man. 60k people attend this festival. They won't all be music geeks/internet messageboard enthusiasts. It might be best for your blood pressure if you stay off the board until May if a thread of this nature is going to get you so riled up.

Edmontonian: Thanks for starting this thread! While I knew most of the information you posted, I didn't know all of it and I'm sure others will appreciate it as well. While superfiction exhibits the true nature of the messageboard, you exhibit the true nature of the festival. Cheers! :thu

Stickjohn
01-25-2010, 04:20 PM
damn peacemakers. being all blessed and whatnot.

Tandemind
01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
p.s. you are proving my point

http://coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1513867&postcount=57

Here's a Club 75 poster that's five years more recent, from the same thread.

http://coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1519491&postcount=102

We'll have to ask Busy P whether Gaspard's coming or not.

superfiction
01-25-2010, 04:38 PM
did you read the post? 6 GUYS.

who gives a fuck about the poster

Hello everybody
i recognize some old names here, cool to see you again.
So yes here we are again! Coachella 2010 sounds crazy my friends.
Some interesting comments on this topic, yes you are right, we could have
asked Golden Voice to put JUSTICE and CASSIUS in big letters to sell more tickets
and get an headline slot. But this is not what CLUB 75 is about.
We started CLUB 75 back in 2002 in Paris, for fun, a way for us to play the music we love in the clubs we like. It will not be about stupid noisy distorded electro (we do it well but not again right ?), CLUB 75 is about Music at large, of course we'll make you dance, but imagine 6 guys behind the decks ready to rumble...
see you there mes amis
P.

six.

thats

zdar
boom bass
pedro
mehdi
xavier
and GASPARD

as he states it would have been billed CASSIUS and JUSTICE
not cassis and 1/2 of justice. i tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but clearly youre just a fucking idiot

JimmyMoore16
01-25-2010, 04:40 PM
you obviously havent met chris or randy. oh thats right. cuz you BARELY POST HERE.

dont you think it gets old for us when year after year new people stream onto the messae board asking the same stupid fucking questions over and over, posting information that exists elsewhere and generally take a shit on the community that exists here?

i lurked for 2 years before i ever posted and it was another year or so before i even started at thread. its called etiquette people. learn it.

At which point in your etiquette studies did you become a dick?

sonicc
01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
gaspard or not, it'll still suck, might as well throw crookers bloody n steve aoki in there to play with them, get the shitty electro outta the way

guedita
01-25-2010, 05:11 PM
I like the intention of this thread, but that list is pretty confusing. Saying "Deerhunter a.k.a. Atlas Sound (Bradford Cox solo project) doesn't make sense to me, it makes it sound like it's just another solo project, not a full band. And giving the real names (or other project names) of some of the artists isn't necessarily helpful or informative. I knew who Erol Alkan was and I have no clue who/what Beyond the Wizard is. If you clean up the introductions/explanations, this could become pretty useful.

Hawkings
01-25-2010, 07:52 PM
thank for the info OP. I didn't know Gorillaz had anything to do with Blur/Good, the Bad and the Queen. Overall there seem to be alot more side projects this year

PlayaDelWes
01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
superfiction: Take a breath, man. 60k people attend this festival. They won't all be music geeks/internet messageboard enthusiasts. It might be best for your blood pressure if you stay off the board until May if a thread of this nature is going to get you so riled up.

Edmontonian: Thanks for starting this thread! While I knew most of the information you posted, I didn't know all of it and I'm sure others will appreciate it as well. While superfiction exhibits the true nature of the messageboard, you exhibit the true nature of the festival. Cheers! :thu

+ 3

sleepybrew
01-25-2010, 08:08 PM
of all the things in the world to bitch about, this is what you choose super?

sonicc
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
tiesto aka gouryella aka allure aka da Joker aka drumfire aka handover circuit aka paradise in dubs aka passenger aka roze aka steve forte rio aka stray dog aka tom ace aka wild bunch

metalfag
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
tiesto aka gouryella aka allure aka da Joker aka drumfire aka handover circuit aka paradise in dubs aka passenger aka roze aka steve forte rio aka stray dog aka tom ace aka wild bunch

wtf are you saying?

karma_guy
01-25-2010, 08:22 PM
i like this thread
i learned about the almighty defenders

fatbastard
01-25-2010, 08:46 PM
It's like trying to swing the smell of shit out of the air. If you are (like that?) learning from this thread, then I am happy for you. I've learned nothing. WTF is up with the canadians today?

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey man dont say mean things about Canadians... we don't even have Ticketfast up here for buying tickets...

iammrcandyman
01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
wtf are you saying?

he is saying those are all other names tiesto has gone by before and he is correct

aguila26
01-25-2010, 10:31 PM
I like that i'll get to see Zooey Deschanel.

mikeycarbajal
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
how do these know-it-alls end up on these newbie threads only to bitch about how they know it all?

fatbastard
01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I hate people who know it alll.

Mr. Fuzz
01-26-2010, 10:39 AM
You could add that Josh Freese (drummer for the Vandals and A Perfect Circle) is also drumming for DEVO.

But, if you've been reading the boards you'd probably already know this.

Mr. Fuzz
01-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Jay Z aka J, HOVA, jazzy, Sean Carter, Big Pimpin', Rocafella, Greatest Rapper Alive

COACHILLA
01-26-2010, 11:12 AM

you take this shit wayyy too serious, LOSER.

superfiction
01-26-2010, 11:14 AM
omgshhhh someone called me a loser on the internet, what do i do??? oh noez!!!

COACHILLA
01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Luckily you are here(like always) to defend yourself.

superfiction
01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Luckily you are here(like always) to defend yourself.

zing! man youre on fire today. teach me to be as cunning as you please

COACHILLA
01-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Sorry, just stating the obvious. It just amuses me that people on this board really act like seniority on a festival forum really means shit. Your comment on how we should have spent the last 3 years here reading this forum and we would know this shit just came off as something a sad lonely loser would say.

superfiction
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Sorry, just stating the obvious. It just amuses me that people on this board really act like seniority on a festival forum really means shit. Your comment on how we should have spent the last 3 years here reading this forum and we would know this shit just came off as something a sad lonely loser would say.

if people used the search button. and/or just poked around a little bit before making new threads full of obvious information i probably wouldnt be as pissy.

and youre right. being on this board while im at work/school because im bored totally makes me a sad lonely loser. i see where youre coming from now

COACHILLA
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM
if people used the search button. and/or just poked around a little bit before making new threads full of obvious information i probably wouldnt be as pissy.

and youre right. being on this board while im at work/school because im bored totally makes me a sad lonely loser. i see where youre coming from now

haha bored? or have no life?... what ever with the school/work shit

Im going back to work, you know where people actually have to do stuff.

BrettShipes
01-26-2010, 11:38 AM

a.k.a.

http://www.anglia-region.co.uk/life/jerkoff.jpg

superfiction
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
haha bored? or have no life?... what ever with the school/work shit

Im going back to work, you know where people actually have to do stuff.

jeez you really keep nailing me. you are so witty how do you do it?

ohaithereguise
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Nobody's forcing you to read these threads

ohaithereguise
01-26-2010, 12:51 PM

GR8 KOMEBAK

bnr

beavington
01-26-2010, 01:28 PM

so wait are you a music fan? Or do you just spend all day file sharing stuff that you read about, not because you like it but because you are the first to hear about it? Do you keep your IPOD on the ready to trade music? When you hear of a new band can you give a book report about the history of the band?

Or do you just like music?

The way you talk it sounds like a music collector and not a music fan. Stop being a dick and show some passion instead of just facts.

with that said, to the OP I didnt know a lot of that shit. Good work.

signmeup
01-26-2010, 10:15 PM
so wait are you a music fan? Or do you just spend all day file sharing stuff that you read about, not because you like it but because you are the first to hear about it? Do you keep your IPOD on the ready to trade music? When you hear of a new band can you give a book report about the history of the band?

The way you talk it sounds like a music collector and not a music fan. Stop being a dick and show some passion instead of just facts.

i think he likes music

signmeup
01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
while im here id like to state that 2manydj's is not a soulwax dj set. thats why it doesnt say SOULWAX (DJ set) on the poster. its the stephen and david dewalae who also have a band called soulwax.

metalfag
01-26-2010, 10:24 PM
while im here id like to state that 2manydj's is not a soulwax dj set. thats why it doesnt say SOULWAX (DJ set) on the poster. its the stephen and david dewalae who also have a band called soulwax.

so its kind of the same thing, but more of a except-they-wont-be-playing-soulwax-songs-or-maybe-they-will-but-probably-not and-you-just-want-to-be-smart-and-claim-your-shit type thing?

metalfag
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
he is saying those are all other names tiesto has gone by before and he is correct

i didnt doubt him for a split second, i literally thought this kid was speaking in tongues or some second coming shit

signmeup
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
so its kind of the same thing, but more of a except-they-wont-be-playing-soulwax-songs-or-maybe-they-will-but-probably-not and-you-just-want-to-be-smart-and-claim-your-shit type thing?

no soulwax is a live band. 2manydjs are, well, 2 djs.

metalfag
01-26-2010, 10:29 PM
yeah....exaclty why its similar to a soulwax dj set....

signmeup
01-26-2010, 10:41 PM
pretty much, im also really excited for the radiohead solo set.

moomoo
01-26-2010, 10:41 PM
nobody has mentioned that The Cribs are playing with Johnny Marr (Smith's guitarist)?

signmeup
01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
unless johnny marr has a crazy nickname i dont give a shit

signmeup
01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
or is actually two people

superfiction
01-26-2010, 10:50 PM

perhaps im passionate enough about music to actually take the time to research what im listening to unlike you bunch of retards. it has nothing to do with bragging about being first or knowing the most. its about respecting the music and the people who make it enough to take it to the next level and finding out whats behind the sound.

hows that for passion?

p.s. go fuck yourself.

just because someone is in a band. and they happen to also dj. does not make it that bands dj set. again. if you used your brain. or the internet. you would know this.

its like you people claim to be happy to know this "information". but then whenever people tell you its wrong, and give you the correct info. none of you want to listen. and then you have the nerve to tell us we're the idiots

WhatLies
01-26-2010, 10:55 PM
omgshhhh someone called me a loser on the internet, what do i do??? oh noez!!!

Sarcasm is a wonderful defense mechanism, isn't it?

signmeup
01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
sarcasm is funny

signmeup
01-26-2010, 10:57 PM
so is calling someone a loser

WhatLies
01-26-2010, 10:58 PM
perhaps im passionate enough about music to actually take the time to research what im listening to unlike you bunch of retards. it has nothing to do with bragging about being first or knowing the most. its about respecting the music and the people who make it enough to take it to the next level and finding out whats behind the sound.

hows that for passion?

p.s. go fuck yourself.

just because someone is in a band. and they happen to also dj. does not make it that bands dj set. again. if you used your brain. or the internet. you would know this.

its like you people claim to be happy to know this "information". but then whenever people tell you its wrong, and give you the correct info. none of you want to listen. and then you have the nerve to tell us we're the idiots

i love you

its great that you cleared things up, however you don't have to be a pompous dick about it

superfiction
01-26-2010, 11:06 PM
its great that you cleared things up, however you don't have to be a pompous dick about it

dont you think it gets old for us when year after year new people stream onto the message board asking the same stupid fucking questions over and over, posting information that exists elsewhere and generally take a shit on the community that exists here?

again. why im being a dick.

psycobetabuckdown
01-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Shooter Jennings a.k.a. Waylon's son
Yann Tiersen a.k.a. Amelie soundtrack composer
Owen Pallett solo project from Arcade Fire member Owen Pallett

WhatLies
01-26-2010, 11:19 PM
not the same thing as a soulwax dj set.

and club 75 has both members of justice.

Cool here

your alright here but ur going into the grey area

Dick

The last comment is what really did it. If that were left out then I probably would of left my posting to the sarcasm

superfiction
01-27-2010, 12:04 AM
i didnt ask why im being a dick. i meant this is why im being a dick. thanks for the play by play though

fatbastard
01-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Giving your opinion=being a dick

Genedefekt
01-27-2010, 07:28 AM
2manydj's IS basically a Soulwax DJ set. They have at least 20 sets under the name 2manydj's called "As heard on radio soulwax" and they will often have the word "soulwax" sampled occasionally throughout their sets.

Jakedeez
01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
i didnt ask why im being a dick. i meant this is why im being a dick. thanks for the play by play though

Wow....wherever you live man, someone needs to knock you the fuck out.

Tandemind
01-27-2010, 10:04 AM
so obvious

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
welcome to the coachella message boards guys. people are dicks, deal with it.

im on the 2manydjs=soulwax(dj set) side of the debate. i don't know if there has ever been a soulwax (dj set) billed on any event and that's because 1) the whole band can't/won't/doesn't want to DJ and 2) the brothers would rather give their DJ performances a different title as a result of not having the whole band present.

everybody knows its soulwax and it is not intended to be a side project, it is very much a touring entity of soulwax. its simply a way of indicating that the whole band won't be performing. type 2manydjs into wikipedia and it redirects to soulwax. watch part of the weekend never dies, a documentary about soulwax, and 2manydjs is all over it.

2manydjs=soulwax (dj set), plain and simple

bludevil007
01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
welcome to the coachella message boards guys. people are dicks, deal with it.

some are pussies too.

superfiction
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
im on the 2manydjs=soulwax(dj set) side of the debate. i don't know if there has ever been a soulwax (dj set) billed on any event and that's because 1) the whole band can't/won't/doesn't want to DJ and 2) the brothers would rather give their DJ performances a different title as a result of not having the whole band present.

so when Steve Slingeneyer dj's under the guise of One Man Party is that a soulwax dj set too?

and also you disproved yourself. if a soulwax dj set doesnt exist...then how can it be infact....a soulwax dj set. and the only reason wiki redirects is because no one has taken the time to write an article about 2manydjs instead just direecting the link to that page.

and if the brothers want to dj under a differnt title because its NOT THE BAND. then it doesnt really sound like its a soulwax dj set does it

Genedefekt
01-27-2010, 12:17 PM
so when Steve Slingeneyer dj's under the guise of One Man Party is that a soulwax dj set too?

and also you disproved yourself. if a soulwax dj set doesnt exist...then how can it be infact....a soulwax dj set. and the only reason wiki redirects is because no one has taken the time to write an article about 2manydjs instead just direecting the link to that page.

and if the brothers want to dj under a differnt title because its NOT THE BAND. then it doesnt really sound like its a soulwax dj set does it

Do Steve Slingeneyer's dj sets under the guise of One Man Party have any references to Soulwax like 2manydj's sets do?

The Dewaele brothers are the brains behind Soulwax, and are the 2 members of 2manydj's. It's a Soulwax dj set. It's just not called that. Get it?

superfiction
01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Do Steve Slingeneyer's dj sets under the guise of One Man Party have any references to Soulwax like 2manydj's sets do?

The Dewaele brothers are the brains behind Soulwax, and are the 2 members of 2manydj's. It's a Soulwax dj set. It's just not called that. Get it?

references?

Genedefekt
01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Does wiki count?

Seriously, everything you need is right here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulwax

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 12:47 PM

you're missing my point altogether since you seem to believe i said soulwax (dj set) doesn't exist. i actually said they're the same thing (which for all intents and purposes they are). what would be called a soulwax dj set is referred to and billed as a 2manydjs set. either they play live as soulwax or they dj as 2manydjs. if they ever dj'd under the name soulwax then you could say that soulwax (dj set) and 2manydjs are different things.

and as i said before, 2manydjs is a touring entity of soulwax. steve slingeneyer doing one man party is not. that's the difference. does one man party have a giant "part of the weekend never dies" or "radio soulwax" banner behind him when he plays. no. do 2manydjs? yes. unless its a dvdj set of course, in which case even more soulwax shit is plastered all over the place.

so they spin soulwax songs, make references to being in soulwax, participate in a touring schedule concurrent with soulwax, are featured in and referred to in the soulwax documentary, promote soulwax via 2manydjs, and essentially comprise the core of soulwax. the only thing 2manydjs does independent of soulwax is the occasional edit and a mashup cd, which by the way is called As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt. 2. hardly sounds like a side project to me.

and for my final point to hopefully put this to rest i quote this, directly from www.soulwax.co.uk

"Whilst it may be true to say that in the grand scheme of it all; that Soulwax are 2 Many DJs , 2 Many DJs however is not the sum of Soulwax as a whole; confused? Don't be."

we can keep going round and round on this but it's moot at this point.

Genedefekt
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Well done Hammerhead...

Now check this out:

http://www.myspace.com/soulwax

Under their touring schedule they have some "2manydj's live shows" and some "2manydj's dj sets". THIS I've never heard of. WTF is a 2manydj's live show? What are we getting at Coachella? A dj set or live show?

psycobetabuckdown
01-27-2010, 01:03 PM
So 2manydj's are also known as Soulwax, then?

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 01:16 PM
more or less, yes. i think they do this shit to confuse us on purpose

johnnypolite
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
You should add The Cribs aka Johnny Marr's new band

superfiction
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
you're missing my point altogether since you seem to believe i said soulwax (dj set) doesn't exist. i actually said they're the same thing (which for all intents and purposes they are). what would be called a soulwax dj set is referred to and billed as a 2manydjs set. either they play live as soulwax or they dj as 2manydjs. if they ever dj'd under the name soulwax then you could say that soulwax (dj set) and 2manydjs are different things.

and as i said before, 2manydjs is a touring entity of soulwax. steve slingeneyer doing one man party is not. that's the difference. does one man party have a giant "part of the weekend never dies" or "radio soulwax" banner behind him when he plays. no. do 2manydjs? yes. unless its a dvdj set of course, in which case even more soulwax shit is plastered all over the place.

so they spin soulwax songs, make references to being in soulwax, participate in a touring schedule concurrent with soulwax, are featured in and referred to in the soulwax documentary, promote soulwax via 2manydjs, and essentially comprise the core of soulwax. the only thing 2manydjs does independent of soulwax is the occasional edit and a mashup cd, which by the way is called As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt. 2. hardly sounds like a side project to me.

and for my final point to hopefully put this to rest i quote this, directly from www.soulwax.co.uk

"Whilst it may be true to say that in the grand scheme of it all; that Soulwax are 2 Many DJs , 2 Many DJs however is not the sum of Soulwax as a whole; confused? Don't be."

we can keep going round and round on this but it's moot at this point.

so if i spin soulwax songs, am i in soulwax? if i talk about and or tour with soulwax am i in soulwax? and way to quote an unofficial fansite. thats pretty official man you got me there. and its called cross promotion. they are developing a brand that is soulwax alongside a seperate entity 2manydjs. why wouldnt you promote soulwax at a 2manydjs show? just like soulwax nite versions is something different as well. yes it all falls under the same people but they are still 3 seperate entities that are all cross promoted. and a 2manydjs set is not the same thing as getting all the guys in soulwax on stage spinning records. i stand by this

Well done Hammerhead...

Now check this out:

http://www.myspace.com/soulwax

Under their touring schedule they have some "2manydj's live shows" and some "2manydj's dj sets". THIS I've never heard of. WTF is a 2manydj's live show? What are we getting at Coachella? A dj set or live show?

its a dj set but they call it live becuase they are simultaniously triggering visuals to appear behind them for the tracks that they are dropping.

So 2manydj's are also known as Soulwax, then?

no.

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 01:37 PM
did you miss the part where the soulwax website said soulwax and 2manydjs are the same thing? let it go dude.

psycobetabuckdown
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
no.

then your stupid goddamn discussion doesn't belong in this thread :thu

superfiction
01-27-2010, 01:39 PM
did you miss the part where the soulwax website said soulwax and 2manydjs are the same thing? let it go dude.

did you miss the part where that isnt the official soulwax site?

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 01:40 PM
did you miss the part where that was taken from pias?

superfiction
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
then your stupid goddamn discussion doesn't belong in this thread :thu

did you miss the part where that was taken from pias?

i did. yes. but if you continue reading

For those of you more familiar with the name Soulwax, through the 2 Many DJs Alta-ego of the bands Dewaele brothers

alter ego.

batman and bruce wayne may be the same person underneath. but they are still seperate entities

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
(this is where you should probably give it up)

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 01:46 PM
alter ego
n.
1. Another side of oneself; a second self.
2. An intimate friend or a constant companion

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
bruce wayne (dj set) for 2010 please?

Tandemind
Super, if you won't give up on Soulwax/2manyDJs without explicit confirmation, then you'll have to concede that Gaspard is not in Club 75, because nowhere will you find explicit confirmation of that.

The more you ramble, the more you disprove your own points.

superfiction
ok but the constant thing here isnt soulwax. the constant thing is the dewaele brothers

one side being soulwax. the other being 2manydjs

xavierfah
01-27-2010, 01:49 PM
http://lowlightshighvolume.com a.k.a a great coachella playlist definitely worth hearing check it out!!!!!!

superfiction
01-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Super, if you won't give up on Soulwax/2manyDJs without explicit confirmation, then you'll have to concede that Gaspard is not in Club 75, because nowhere will you find explicit confirmation of that.

The more you ramble, the more you disprove your own points.

im not going to address your club 75 argument anymore cuz i already supplied you with a link to where pedro mentions 6 members and the presence of both justice and cassius. so yeah. im done with you.

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 01:50 PM
ok but the constant thing here isnt soulwax. the constant thing is the dewaele brothers

one side being soulwax. the other being 2manydjs

youre clinging to an argument that nobody regards as valid anymore. its cool man its not that big of a deal, its a confusing topic as it is since i dont think they themselves have given much clarity on it.

thagorillaz
01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
what a dense gentleman that keeps bumping this thread that he hates so much.
anyhoo, to hopefully throw some gas on his proverbial fire, 2manyDJ's are 2 of the members of Soulwax djing, in that way it is a soulwax dj set, because all 4 members never do a dj set. ( the same way that a major lazer show is sometimes only diplo, or only switch, sort of in a backwards way.)
I really think this is a dead horse that this angry man keeps beating though.

2manydjs is pretty much a soulwax dj set. Pretty much.

Furthermore i dont think gaspard is involved in club75 based on what ive read, but id like to be proven wrong when he shows up.
-tim

superfiction
01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
youre clinging to an argument that nobody regards as valid anymore. its cool man its not that big of a deal, its a confusing topic as it is since i dont think they themselves have given much clarity on it.

i agree there is not much clarity. which is why i think you could say 2manydjs featuring members of soulwax. but not infact call it a "soulwax dj set"

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 01:54 PM
i would only casually call it a soulwax dj set. id never post on my facebook "cant wait to go see soulwax dj at voyeur tonight." i understand the point you're making

*edit*

also i think the reason they don't say its featuring members of soulwax is because, to my understanding, soulwax has always revolved around the dewaele bros. others have rotated in and out but its ultimately their baby (soulwax/2manydjs).

...annnddd im off for work. good talk

Genedefekt
01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
i agree there is not much clarity. which is why i think you could say 2manydjs featuring members of soulwax. but not infact call it a "soulwax dj set"

Dude the purpose was to inform people who didn't know that the guys from 2manydj's are the same guys who are the brains behind soulwax doing a dj set. And that's pretty much what he did. So why nitpick?

superfiction
01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
yeah i never accused you of doing so. i just think its improperly labeled in the first post of this thread. which is what i said to begin with and what prompted this whole argument

ohaithereguise
01-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Then you should have realized by now that it's not gonna change.
Stop posting.

CYA

psycobetabuckdown
01-27-2010, 02:17 PM
It is labeled hastily. That said, that argument was a great use of your time.

superfiction
01-27-2010, 02:23 PM
i'm laying in bed sick. not a lot of better things to do. that said, im done with this. goodbye thread.

dantoro
01-27-2010, 03:04 PM
bring back trentmorrison

psycobetabuckdown
01-28-2010, 03:29 PM
just start a new jay-z thread, he'll show up

FoxeyLady
01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
^lol

btw your sig is classic

psycobetabuckdown
01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah that will be my sig for a while. Too perfect for this Coachella season.

signmeup
01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
They are TWO brothers with TWO acts, one as DJ's called 2manyDJs and one actual band with two other guys called SOULWAX. Of course they are fucking associated but what the fuck would be the fucking point of having 2 different band names, websites, myspaces, facebooks, twitters, etc if it was the same fucking band.

2manyDJs live is when they are DVDJing by triggering visuals associated with the tracks playing, a normal DJ set is just that, a normal DJ set. The live sets are more structured because of the visuals.

Why cant anyone on here do any fucking research before saying something?

nationocean
01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
^ so like, they aren't soulwax is what you are trying to say?

i still don't get the difference..

/ducks

nationocean
01-28-2010, 05:23 PM
i mean...

<---- ducks

mickflyy
01-28-2010, 06:40 PM

that was pretty funny i totally lol'ed