PDA

View Full Version : How will Jay Z stack up against past legends

fredo
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
I've been to the last 3 Coachellas. This will be my fourth. Neetless to say i am no rookie to this festival. But im wondering how u music lovers feel and how Jay Z will compare to some past greats like Roger Water, Prince, Cure, Paul McCartney... and whether or not Hova can bring a new ambiance to this marvelous show. No doubt the smell of grape swisher sweet blunts will roam the fairgrounds..

HandBanana
01-25-2010, 10:50 AM
How will this unnecessary and extraneous Jay Z thread stack up against past unnecessary and extraneous Jay Z threads

guedita
01-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Commence instant backlash for insinuating Jay-Z can be considered a "legend."

beavington
01-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Commence instant backlash for insinuating Jay-Z can be considered a "legend."

was that insinuated?

BrickTop24
01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
You cant compare Jay Z to Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Tool, Roger Waters, Bjork, Depeche Mode, or any of the acts that headlined in the past. I still dont understand why Goldenvoice has him headlining but what's done is done.

FoxeyLady
01-25-2010, 10:59 AM
do we really need another thread about Jay-Z?

sacleonard
01-25-2010, 10:59 AM
He'll land somewhere above Jack Johnson and below Coldplay.

KickerConspiracy
01-25-2010, 11:15 AM
For the last 5 years - Above Jack Johnson, Coldplay, Rage, Depeche Mode, RHCP

Below the remainders

guedita
01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
was that insinuated?

Insinuate- to introduce (as an idea) gradually or in a subtle, indirect, or covert way.

Not saying the poster outright suggested Jay-Z is in any way a legend, just pointing out that's probably the path a type of thread like this will head down.

Mr. Dylanja
01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I think Jay-Z is a legend. Like it or not hip hop is a prominent music genre and he is the most successful hip hop artist of all time. 8 grammys and over 30 million records sold ain't too shabby either.

But that's MY opinion.

chairmenmeow47
01-25-2010, 11:30 AM
and what the fuck is wrong with the smell of blunts?

Distorted_Jungle
01-25-2010, 11:31 AM
You cant compare Jay Z to Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Tool, Roger Waters, Bjork, Depeche Mode, or any of the acts that headlined in the past. I still dont understand why Goldenvoice has him headlining but what's done is done.

I would say Jay-Z is equally as deserving of the headlining spot as Tool, Radiohead and Bjork. All those artists may be something different in sound, and are more groundbreaking artist than Jay-Z, but Jay-Z has probably sold more albums than any one of them has and has a bigger fan base. Jay-Z makes good hip-hop, gets on stage with a 15 piece band and no hype men and has been around long enough to earn his headlining spot. If he can headline one night of Glasto with a MASSIVE crowd watching him, he can headline Coachella any day.

guedita
01-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Grape blunts smell especially delicious.

FoxeyLady
01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
yeah if anything that is a major plus.

Grape swisher blunts > Patchouli

Mr. Dylanja
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Let's all get OBLUNTERATED!!!

Distorted_Jungle
01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Let's all get OBLUNTERATED!!!

I will be completely BLUNTED durring his set, might even be a 3 blunt set.

TickleMeElmo
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Can't all you retards keep all this Jay-Z shit into one hate thread?

Kerowackattack
01-25-2010, 11:50 AM
I will be completely BLUNTED durring his set, might even be a 3 blunt set.

yzzr. beginning, middle, encore.

FoxeyLady
01-25-2010, 11:58 AM
The herb smoke will be strong during jigga man's performance. No doubt about that.

JebusLives
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
well he can't sing, can't play any instruments, can't dance and isn't good to look at. Other than that, he holds up well.

edit: grammar nazis are worse than illinois nazis

BrickTop24
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I would say Jay-Z is equally as deserving of the headlining spot as Tool, Radiohead and Bjork. All those artists may be something different in sound, and are more groundbreaking artist than Jay-Z, but Jay-Z has probably sold more albums than any one of them has and has a bigger fan base. Jay-Z makes good hip-hop, gets on stage with a 15 piece band and no hype men and has been around long enough to earn his headlining spot. If he can headline one night of Glasto with a MASSIVE crowd watching him, he can headline Coachella any day.

I understand his popularity and I'm sure there will be alot of people who want to see him but as far as comparing him to Tool, Radiohead, and Bjork? I would'nt go that far. Those acts were more deserving to headline Coachella than Jay-Z in my opinion.

Distorted_Jungle
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
well he can't sing, can't play any instruments, can't dance and isn't good to look at. Otherwise than that, he holds up well.

Otherwise than that, he was never trying to sing. His delivery is on point, his lyrics are good and hes one of the best live hip-hop acts you could see. You know for a fact that he can't play an instrument? Just because he is an MC doesn't mean he can't play instruments.

Distorted_Jungle
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I understand his popularity and I'm sure there will be alot of people who want to see him but as far as comparing him to Tool, Radiohead, and Bjork? I would'nt go that far. Those acts were more deserving to headline Coachella than Jay-Z in my opinion.

We obviously have different opinions.

moomoo
01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
For the last 5 years - Above Jack Johnson, Coldplay, Rage, Depeche Mode, RHCP

Below the remainders

how will Jay-Z EVER compare to these legendary performers? let us not forget The Killers and their legendary status which Jay-Z has never even come close to brushing against.

AlecEiffel
01-25-2010, 12:40 PM
otherwise than that.

faxman75
01-25-2010, 12:41 PM
I wonder what the headliner criteria is for those who don't think he is capable.

Distorted_Jungle
01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I wonder what the headliner criteria is for those who don't think he is capable.

I wonder the same thing, i like the change from "an act my parents would want to see" to "an act i actually want to see".

BrickTop24
01-25-2010, 12:45 PM
We obviously have different opinions.

We do and I'm not going to disrespect anyone who's a fan of Jay Z. I'm just not one of them. But I see where you're comming from and I'm sure he'll have a good show.

juloxx
01-25-2010, 12:49 PM

Fool Jay-Z is gonna be doper than half those people and I am not even a Jay-Z fan.

Bjork? Thats jokes

canexplain
01-25-2010, 12:53 PM
If he can headline one night of Glasto with a MASSIVE crowd watching him, he can headline Coachella any day.

not sure if that is a good enough reason: Other headliners the year before Jay-z
Arctic Monkeys , Shirley Bassey 2007

cr****

faxman75
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Bjork? Thats jokes

You're a joke. Bjork is golden.

signmeup
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
yeah dude thats jokes

signmeup
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
(jokes so beautiful they make you cry)

BROKENDOLL
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Can't all you retards keep all this Jay-Z shit into one hate thread?

Oh, Elmo, that would be too easy. You aren't having fun trying to gatherup imfo from 4 different threads of speculation for each subject matter on the lineup? :winkiss

juloxx
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
(jokes so beautiful they make you cry)

Like race jokes?

Distorted_Jungle
01-25-2010, 01:17 PM
If he can headline one night of Glasto with a MASSIVE crowd watching him, he can headline Coachella any day.

not sure if that is a good enough reason: Other headliners the year before Jay-z
Arctic Monkeys , Shirley Bassey 2007

cr****

Same argument can be made for the last couple coachellas, it's played out, but The Killers and Jack Johnson headlined a night at Coachella and he's way bigger than both of them.

WhyTheLongFace
01-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Jay-Z is way more fucking deserving than Tool. That's all I'm a say. Be prepared to be blown away.

Mr. Dylanja
01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Jay-Z is way more fucking deserving than Tool. That's all I'm a say. Be prepared to be blown away.

...just when I thought we were boys.

WhyTheLongFace
01-25-2010, 01:29 PM
...just when I thought we were boys.

Tool is cool but Jay is.......fucking Jay. Let's be real.

weeklymix
01-25-2010, 01:43 PM
This will be my fourth. Neetless to say i am no rookie to this festival.

Neetless to say you are a rookie with regard to the English language.

Neetless to say... get the fuck out.

HandBanana
01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
EVIDENCE:

http://i.imgur.com/G3tgq.jpg

WINRAR:

JAY Z

/thread

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 04:25 PM
As much as you don't like rap you can't say that Jay-Z isn't a legend. He is married to Beyonce, sold millions of albums, played countless shows, he owns the 40/40 Club, and at age 40 he is still producing/making music.

Now is he a suitable headliner for Coachella? There's too many different opinions to answer this. In my opinion, he is a suitable headliner, maybe not necessarily for Coachella, but I'm going to see him.

Point is, Jay-Z is headlining and there's nothing we can do about it.

thewindowliquor
01-25-2010, 04:27 PM
As much as you don't like rap you can't say that Jay-Z isn't a legend.

Yes I can. Watch:

He isn't a legend.

He is married to Beyonce, sold millions of albums, played countless shows, he owns the 40/40 Club, and at age 40 he is still producing/making music.

How do any of those things make him worthy of being a headliner?

I'm not saying he's not a good choice for a headliner. I actually think that he is. Coachella has needed more hiphop for a while.

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
How do any of those things make him worthy of being a headliner?

I'm not saying he's not a good choice for a headliner. I actually think that he is. Coachella has needed more hiphop for a while.

What do you mean how do any of those things not make him worthy of being a headliner? Yeah, marrying Beyonce and owning the 40/40 Club are irrelevant, but being internationally known and selling approx. 30 million albums during his career makes him worthy.

Furthermore, I never said any of those things made him worthy of being a headliner, I said that they support the statement that he is a legend.

Then again, there is the argument over "what is a legend" and all that shit.

seanyb
01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Jay-Z is a hell of a lot better than fucking Muse

thewindowliquor
01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
being internationally known and selling approx. 30 million albums during his career makes him worthy.

Orly? Why hasn't Britney Spears ever headlined? When is the big Backstreet Boys Coachella reunion going down?

Fucking psyched.

Mr. Fuzz
01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
UIJjK3IV3E0

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Orly? Why hasn't Britney Spears ever headlined? When is the big Backstreet Boys Coachella reunion going down?

Fucking psyched.

...are you retarded?

I'm not saying that Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys should or ever will headline. But look at any other headliner who has ever played. Same criteria as Jay-Z, millions of albums sold, internationally known for most.

I really don't get what you're arguing.

thewindowliquor
01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
...are you retarded?

I'm not saying that Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys should or ever will headline. But look at any other headliner who has ever played. Same criteria as Jay-Z, millions of albums sold, internationally known for most.

I really don't get what you're arguing.

No, but I'm pretty sure you are.

How many albums has Bjork sold worldwide? My point is that there's no fucking correlation between Album Sales and Headliner worthiness.

now get the fuck out of here.

go on.

sbessiso
01-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. I love blunts more than I love myself

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
No, but I'm pretty sure you are.

How many albums has Bjork sold worldwide? My point is that there's no fucking correlation between Album Sales and Headliner worthiness.

go on.

Okay then what criteria outlines a headliner?

sbessiso
01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
lol you have an MGMT avatar

thewindowliquor
01-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Okay then what criteria outlines a headliner?

I think you missed the 2nd part:

go on.

Also.. this:

Gribbz
01-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I like Jay-Z, but I wouldn't call him "legendary."

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 04:49 PM

Oh... shit sorry I'll change my avatar to fit your musical preference, I guess.

Also windowliquor, are you going to answer?

thewindowliquor
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Oh... shit sorry I'll change my avatar to fit your musical preference, I guess.

Also windowliquor, are you going to answer?

There is no fucking certain criterion to determine who is worthy of headlining and who isn't. If there were, it would be some kind of fucking robotic machine doing the booking, and then this festival, and probably most other things in life, would suck.

Stop being so fucking vapid.

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
There is no fucking certain criterion to determine who is worthy of headlining and who isn't. If there were, it would be some kind of fucking robotic machine doing the booking, and then this festival, and probably most other things in life, would suck.

Stop being so fucking vapid.

I'm just trying to make things clear that Jay-Z is just as worthy as headlining as anybody else who has headlined.

And that I guess, he could be considered a legend,or legend of rap more accurately, depending on what you depict a legend to be.

Alligator Bogaloo
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM

You tell em' Ivy. Holla!

thewindowliquor
01-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm just trying to make things clear that Jay-Z is just as worthy as headlining as anybody else who has headlined.

He's worthy of headlining, sure.. Jack fucking Johnson headlined... so, I don't think it takes a whole lot to be "worthy," whatever the fuck that means.

AS worthy as anybody else who has headlined? No.

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/2008/07/23-End/Prince.jpg

sonicc
01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Like this...

http://twistedkites.co.uk/media/2009/07/MegaOreo.jpg

Gonna be the best headliner EVAR!!!!!!1111!11shiftone!!1111eleven

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 05:04 PM

Good point there are a few exceptions.
http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/roger-waters-older.jpg

WhyTheLongFace
01-25-2010, 05:07 PM
mmmmmmmmm oreos

Mr. Fuzz
He's worthy of headlining, sure.. Jack fucking Johnson headlined... so, I don't think it takes a whole lot to be "worthy," whatever the fuck that means.

AS worthy as anybody else who has headlined? No.

chaka khan

sbessiso
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3504792303_33301dac4f.jpg

Eliwood
01-25-2010, 05:12 PM
http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/The-Killers-2.jpg

Reminded me ultimately of:

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/27618.gif
BARNEY STINSON

FoxeyLady
01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
http://galeri.milliyet.com.tr/2006/11/2Beyonce/30.jpg

sbessiso
01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
oh fuck yeah give it to me B

jamesc2929
01-26-2010, 04:33 AM
He's a legend in his own mind already...

And when he brings asshole Kanye West and the crew with him, the legend will start to grow how they were the biggest thing at Coachella ever. Just wait for it....
THANK GOD THIS IS OVER ON THE FIRST DAY!!!!!!

noolan
01-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Everyone said the same thing about Jay-Z headlining Glastonbury. Yet, if you watch any of his videos from there or read reviews, he killed at one of the biggest festivals in the entire world. I understand if you do not enjoy his music, but to say Jay-Z is not a legend of hip-hop is ludicrous. He has had had more #1 records than Elvis and sustained decades of success.

In a nutshell: It had been the most talked about headline act in years, and that was before the most successful rapper alive even took to the stage. A barrage of criticism about his suitability for this festival had been given a spearhead after Noel Gallagher laid in to the rapper, calling him 'wrong' for Glasto. If that was a spot of mind games designed to coax the best from Jay-Z, it certainly succeeded. From the moment he came on stage - to a video montage of Gallagher's words spliced with footage of world leaders apparently offering their opinion on the matter - the tempo was set. It was fast furious, and full of hits - some not even Jay's own. And to top it all he was backed by a great band, who were all black and freaked out in that way that, you know, white rockers usually do.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/jun/29/jayz.urban

"His performance will go down in Glastonbury history," wrote the Independent in a Monday review of the festival.

Rather than being booed off stage as some predicted, "both audience and artist rose to the occasion and turned in a moment of real, euphoric, pop-culture history," added the Times.
http://in.reuters.com/article/hollywood/idINN3038342620080630