PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Closes at Midnight??

TN_Mike
01-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey guys, I will be a first timer this year at Coachella (just moved to Cali from Tennessee). I've been to Bonnaroo the past 3 years so I know all about the festival scene. I think Coachella and Bonnaroo Festivals are structured differently though.

At Bonnaroo you can't really come and go as you please, you are generally there for the entire festival once you enter. So, I'm a little confused as to how Coachella is set up. I saw on the Coachella website that says it closes at midnight every night. What's the deal with that? Surely the music doesn't stop then right? Is that just the last time anyone can enter the festival area? I can't just stop having fun at midnight at a festival! Ha, any info would be much appreciated, thanks!

**JwOx**
01-25-2010, 10:00 AM
last acts are suppose to end at midnight but usually go on to about one. after that festival is done but if your camping there is a dome with music that plays 24 hrs so the fun never ends

TN_Mike
01-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh nice! That's kind of a drag though. Bonnaroo doesn't stop till around 4 am, MGMT didn't start last year till 2:30 am and that was the show of the Festival. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get messed up a little bit earlier in the day huh. Ha! Thanks for the response.

zimmy1222
01-25-2010, 10:09 AM
permit regulations....they a bitch!

Ajaxe
01-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I kind of like the idea of the music stopping at midnight because then the party starts and things get crazy and you dont need to worry about missing good acts because your having to much fun!!!

Distorted_Jungle
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
last acts are suppose to end at midnight but usually go on to about one. after that festival is done but if your camping there is a dome with music that plays 24 hrs so the fun never ends

I don't remember the dome going 24 hours.

The music may stop at midnight, but the party goes as long as you can. If you are camping there is always something to do, and if you are staying with friends in a hotel/condo you can party there after like i plan on doing.

guedita
01-25-2010, 10:44 AM
The campsite's quiet hours start at 3:00 AM, if I recall correctly. You'll want to try and get some sleep though...the sun bearing down on you at 7:00 AM is a killer.

**JwOx**
01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
The campsite's quiet hours start at 3:00 AM, if I recall correctly. You'll want to try and get some sleep though...the sun bearing down on you at 7:00 AM is a killer.

ya falling asleep isnt too bad because your gonna have a rude awakening in your tent when the sun is making it feel like a sauna at 730 8 in the morning. then you get to rehydrate in the morning and start the party again

Changoloco
01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Oh nice! That's kind of a drag though. Bonnaroo doesn't stop till around 4 am, MGMT didn't start last year till 2:30 am and that was the show of the Festival. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get messed up a little bit earlier in the day huh. Ha! Thanks for the response.

This isn't Bonnaroo, period.

noolan
01-25-2010, 12:48 PM

I thought MGMT sucked last year at Roo.. Hope they make up for it at Coachella.

TN_Mike
01-25-2010, 03:34 PM
I thought MGMT sucked last year at Roo.. Hope they make up for it at Coachella.

Wow. Are you serious? Link: http://www.spin.com/articles/mgmts-crowning-moment-bonnaroo-headliners

Well I was there three hours before the show and only made it to the 7th row! Introduced me to Yeasayer, probably the best show I've ever seen and I've been to 3 Bonnaroo's.

But to each his own.

donkey sex
01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
yep, tear gas comes out at midnight

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00617/hond1-585_617419a.jpg

"I wanted to stay longer"

Stickjohn
01-25-2010, 04:40 PM
But to each his own.

You're never going to make it around here with an attitude like that.

noolan
01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Wow. Are you serious? Link: http://www.spin.com/articles/mgmts-crowning-moment-bonnaroo-headliners

Well I was there three hours before the show and only made it to the 7th row! Introduced me to Yeasayer, probably the best show I've ever seen and I've been to 3 Bonnaroo's.

But to each his own.

Just didn't work for me and was one of my bottom shows of the fest. I agree however, to each their own.

fiopadp7791
01-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Is this dome in the campsite or on the festival grounds? How many years has this gone on?

Stickjohn
01-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Last year was the first. Went to 3 or 4 I think. It was in sort of an in-between area - close to camp ground. You can see it on a 2009 map.

edit: like this!

http://coachella.com/images/2009_mappypoo.jpg

WhyTheLongFace
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Huh? I think Macca went on to 1230 but that's rare. Killers ended before 12 and I think the Cure was right after. I think Coachella got fined money for Macca's performance. But you cant cut the mic off on a Beatle.

Theijuiel
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Didn't Macca go till 1:30am?

WhyTheLongFace
01-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Didn't Macca go till 1:30am?

12:54
An expensive 54 minutes
http://www.beatlesnews.com/blog/the-beatles/200904202012/coachella-facing-54000-fine-because-of-paul-mccartney.html

rage patton
01-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Coachella gets fined $1,000 per minute after midnight. With the exception of the dome apparently.

Prince went until 1:03am. Paul T said the $63,000 was worth every penny.

The Cure's power was cut in 2009 just past the 12:30 mark. The sing along of Boys Don't Cry is up there with one of my fondest Coachella memories. Really made the weekend.

Also, there is tons to do in the campground after midnight. You will meet lots of really cool people. The music (again, except the dome) may stop at midnight, but the party doesnt. Oh... the sun will be waking you up around 7:30am, so I would try and get a good nights rest if I were you. Or get a canopy. That way you may be able to sleep until 9am.

Neighborhood Creep
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Anyone have pictures of the dome that plays music into the night?

psychic friend
01-26-2010, 12:55 PM
you mean that dome thing they had last year?

Neighborhood Creep
01-26-2010, 12:58 PM

If that's what I read up above about music playing late into the night, then yes.

Just curious. Anything to make my friends want to camp vs a hotel

frazzles
01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9282/img0478y.jpg

Neighborhood Creep
01-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks, what time can people stay in that til? Figured that was part of everyone leaving at 12

frazzles
01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
The way it worked last year was everyone clears out of the main festival grounds around 12-ish. Dome was supposed to open back up to campers around 1ish or something then run til 4.

Of course, I favored sleep and afterhours dome was always that boring dubstep shit, so I pretty much didn't go past Thursday night.

Aphxtwinin
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
yea it ends at midnight, you shouldnt come..it sux

beavington
01-26-2010, 01:36 PM
yea it ends at midnight, you shouldnt come..it sux

oh yeah that was a good one. so witty and FRESH!

Will the Dome be back again this year in the same capacity as it was last year? Because it seems like whenever they have the thing for campers the next yaer it is something totally new.

nbvcide
01-26-2010, 01:53 PM

no, the dome never went 24 hours..

-thursday night it was like 7:30-2am

-friday night it started at about 1:45 and went until 4am, i believe

-saturday night it started after 2am and went until 4am, i believe..there was a dome during the fest on saturday that went from 6-midnight, i believe (it may have started at 4pm on saturday)

-sunday night there was no late night dome, but during the fest it went from 6-11:30pm

i say, 'i believe' on friday and saturday, because one of those nights it went waaaaay past 4am, but i can't recall which night (i'm leaning towards friday, but i could be wrong), when i believe it kept going until just after dawn..

littlewolf
01-26-2010, 01:54 PM
The Cure's power was cut in 2009 just past the 12:30 mark. The sing along of Boys Don't Cry is up there with one of my fondest Coachella memories. Really made the weekend.

That sounds awesome.

nbvcide
01-26-2010, 01:54 PM

are you saying GV isn't having that dome thing this year??

psychic friend
01-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Are you saying they are? I have not seen or heard any info about it. I was curious where the info was coming from.

nbvcide
01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
from the fact that it was so successful and the festival attendees are so obviously for it, and i'm positive there would be more backlash from the lack of one than there would be from bringing it back..

there are as many dome threads as radiohead threads, i really don't see why it would be difficult to bring it back, it's certainly not a huge expense, unless it was a sound permit issue that got you guys in trouble last year, or something..