PDA

View Full Version : Goldfrapp - Head First

BlackSwan
01-25-2010, 09:33 AM
JOY!

http://www.wearepopslags.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/goldfrapp-headfirst-489x489.jpg

Goldfrapp, Head First (Mute)
Release Date: March 23

U.K. duo Goldfrapp made a surprising detour away from synth-based pop into acoustic-driven folk and ballads on 2008's "Seventh Tree," which reached a career-best No. 48 on The Billboard 200. But it's right back to the dance floor in full force on "Head First," led by the single "Rocket," an irresistible party starter straight out of an early '80s Giorgio Moroder soundtrack. Madonna, Kylie and Eurythmics lovers will drool for other highlights like "I Wanna Life" and "Alive," which crackle with euphoria. Elsewhere, frontwoman Alison Goldfrapp's astonishing pipes are on full display on "Voicething," where conventional lyrics go by the wayside in favor of seductive coos.

The first single, "Rocket," has already leaked.

derektrainwreck
01-25-2010, 01:16 PM
i fucking LOVE "rocket"

TallGuyCM
01-25-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm really glad Alison decided to go back to the dance-y stuff for this record. Late Coachella add please!!!

BlackSwan
01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I just hope it was her choice, and she isn't doing it due to the poor performance of the last album.

JebusLives
01-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I agree. Seventh Tree had some good songs on it and they worked well live. Hopefully they didn't phone this one in.

JorgeC
01-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I just hope it was her choice, and she isn't doing it due to the poor performance of the last album.

How did Seventh Tree do sales-wise compare to BC and Supernature? It's not like she's a platinum artist in the US, but what about worldwide on all 3? Not sure where to find out about album sales...

JewFace
01-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I could be wrong, but if I believe Seventh Tree sold very well in the UK and Europe where Goldfrapp are practically a household name now. The extremely 80s sound of Rocket was a bit jarring to me at first, but now I find it absolutely irresistible. It sounds nothing like Moroder, btw. Don't know where some of these "critics" get their references. It's a fluffy bit of confection, but it's so euphoric and joyous and more relaxed than I've ever heard the band before from the arrangement down to Alison's vocals.

pTAn45ur3Iw

We're also discussing all this here (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19805).

BlackSwan
01-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh, indeed, look at that. Nothing good happens in the Line Up/Artists forum.

TallGuyCM
01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Nothing good happens in the Line Up/Artists forum.

Very true. Millions of threads of back-and-forth arguing bullshit that leads to nothing. Only a few solid threads in the whole bunch. And Goldfrapp isn't on the lineup, so BSwan's thread in this section is much more appropriate.

JewFace
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Oh I wasn't criticizing the fact that you started a new thread, BS. I'm (obvs) a Goldfrapp devotee. I just wanted to point you to that thread in case you were't aware of it because a lot of people were posting in there and thought you might want to join in the discussion. Plus there's always the (largely false) hope that if you keep a topic going in the Lineup section GoldenVoice pays attention. It seemed to have maybe happened with the Grace Jones threads. Maybe. Anyway, what do you guys think of Rocket?

sbessiso
01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh fuck yeah! The intro reminds me of Van Halen's "Jump", one of the greatest songs of all time. Definitely digging this, so sad I couldnt see her in 08

And I didnt really like 7th Tree when I heard it

BlackSwan
01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Oh, totally. I didn't take it that way. She was an addition in 2008 (which you probably know), so I don't know if they are likely to do that again. Is it still looking like she will tour this year? Hope so.

I was torn on "Rocket" after the first listen. It seemed a little too 80's, a little too poppy, and almost forced. Now that it's had some time to sink in, I like it more. Either way, I can't wait to see the new show she brings on the road. Like I said earlier, I hope the switch back to dance was their choice, and wasn't heavily suggested by their label or management. I enjoyed the last album, but it made for a less glamorous live show.

BlackSwan
01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I woke up this morning with "Rocket" stuck in my head and I didn't listen to it at all yesterday. I guess it's grown on me more than I thought.

BlackSwan
02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Another track from Head First leaked. You can listen to it here: http://www.weallwantsomeone.org/2010/01/29/new-goldfrapp-believer/

amyzzz
02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Aw man that youtube was removed. (listening to the 2nd song though)

BlackSwan
02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
This blog has "Rocket" streaming... http://www.weallwantsomeone.org/2010/01/25/new-goldfrapp-rocket/

donkey sex
02-03-2010, 07:41 PM
listening to 'Pilots on a Star' right now. It really doesn't get any better. Incredible.

nationocean
02-04-2010, 08:44 AM

I've been thinking this since I first heard about the new album.

Leeartlee
02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm surprised they are putting out another album so soon. Wasn't there a huge gap between Supernature and 7th Tree? Anyways, I enjoyed 7th but I'm very happy to hear they are going back to the dancy roots. It's not that 7th tree was a failer by any means, I just think that an entire album of laid back tunes is not really meant for them. They've straddled the divide for most of their albums. Diversity is what suits them best I think.

Edit: Just looked it up. Guess they have consistently had 2-3 years between albums.

nationocean
02-04-2010, 08:56 AM
She just seems born to make this glam-pop-dance music though. Seventh Tree was frustrating because I just want her to focus on what she does best.

I'm a pretty selfish person though ;) ME ME ME!!!

Make me more awesome dance music Alison NOW!

BlackSwan
02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I also didn't get her new adversity to being sexy when 7th Tree came out and she toured. If the cover of the Rocket single is any indication, that doesn't seem to have changed:

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/4254/goldfrapprocketsleeve2.jpg

Leeartlee
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Quick question:

When she performed at Coachella, was the crowd very responsive? Because when I saw her at Treasure Island, the crowd was so disinterested I felt bad for her. The band was even come out from behind their instruments to try and "pump up" the audience. When she finished, she barley even thanked the crowd, and honestly, I didn't blame her.

I ask because I'm curious if she's burnt on doing West Coast Festivals. It took her forever the first time and if TI was a trend, I'm doubtful she'll return.

JorgeC
02-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Her set at Coachella was (i believe) the first time she performed anything off seventh tree and it was a VAST departure from the glam party that was the Supernature tour stop at the Wiltern. I felt like half the crowd loved her just for being her and the rest of the crowd was like "WTF?" She was winning people over towards the end, but it was only a 45 (?) minute set so as people were leaving the tent i heard quite a few "that was it?"-type comments.

JewFace
02-04-2010, 08:43 PM
"Believer" is all over Hype Machine as well in case it gets removed from that particular blog. I absolutely love this one. Alison's voice is so... immediate in the verses. Like she's almost singing right in your ear.

Quick question:
When she performed at Coachella, was the crowd very responsive?

I'd say the crowd was very into it. You just have to keep in mind that the delicacy of the Seventh Tree material doesn't always lend itself to a huge crowd response. The comments posted on here after their '08 set were almost universally positive. Alison & Co. seemed to bowl everyone over.

Their stop at the Wiltern during the Supernature tour was something else, though. I had never up till then and never since experienced a show like that. The energy in the Wiltern that night was unreal; especially for an LA audience. Goldfrapp didn't even go on until, like, 11pm I think but no one cared. It somehow felt appropriate for a night of disco glam. A crowd of -- what's the capacity of the Wiltern? 3,000? -- roared so loudly you'd think the place was packed with 30k. The bass from stompers like Ooh La La and Train came thundering through the floor and the walls and reverberated throughout your body. I mean, you would literally vibrate from the sound waves, the band was on fire, Alison was perfectly on point vocally and was stalking the stage in a tiny black number up to here and massive golden high heels, hair billowing everywhere. The closest I'll ever get to Studio 54 I think.

I also didn't get her new adversity to being sexy when 7th Tree came out and she toured. If the cover of the Rocket single is any indication, that doesn't seem to have changed:

I think the Rocket cover is very tongue-in-cheek. Who knows, but I imagine we'll be seeing plenty of sex when Goldfrapp tours. And I think the imagery for Seventh Tree was beautiful. I honestly don't think this woman can do or say anything without there being an element of sexuality involved. I know what you're getting at, though. I kinda missed the 10 inch heels and ridiculously short mini skirts and disco lights, but there was still plenty of sexuality in these looks. It was just a bit more delicate....

http://blackcherrytv8.free.fr/images/pix/7t/big/serge_leblon04.jpg

http://aenniemal.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/goldf11.jpg

TallGuyCM
02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I'd like a triple venti non-fat Goldfrapp, please. Extra wet.

SoulDischarge
02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I only listened to Seventh Tree once and it bored the fuck out of me, so going back to what she does best seems like a good move.

BlackSwan
02-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Quick question:

When she performed at Coachella, was the crowd very responsive? Because when I saw her at Treasure Island, the crowd was so disinterested I felt bad for her. The band was even come out from behind their instruments to try and "pump up" the audience. When she finished, she barley even thanked the crowd, and honestly, I didn't blame her.

I ask because I'm curious if she's burnt on doing West Coast Festivals. It took her forever the first time and if TI was a trend, I'm doubtful she'll return.

I was to the left of the stage, right behind the soundboard, and the people around me were into her set, but overall the crowd wasn't into it. The sound also wasn't that great due to the wind. When I saw her at the Warfield in April the crowd wa much better, but she was sick and it showed. When it comes down to it, Goldfrapp should just play theaters.

I think the Rocket cover is very tongue-in-cheek. Who knows, but I imagine we'll be seeing plenty of sex when Goldfrapp tours. And I think the imagery for Seventh Tree was beautiful. I honestly don't think this woman can do or say anything without there being an element of sexuality involved. I know what you're getting at, though. I kinda missed the 10 inch heels and ridiculously short mini skirts and disco lights, but there was still plenty of sexuality in these looks. It was just a bit more delicate....

http://aenniemal.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/goldf11.jpg

Yeah, I didn't mean to say the imagery around 7th Tree wasn't sexy at all. I just miss the elaborate glam sexyness of Supernature:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/17/92960608_ecd2fd98ac.jpg

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/kanyewest/capitale/goldfrapp.jpg

JewFace
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
The bad news for BlackSwan:
Judging by this new photo, it looks like we'll continue to see a softening of Alison's sexual image.

The good news for BlackSwan:
Alison says that her "..sexuality swings wherever it wants."

http://i47.tinypic.com/2mosaoz.jpg

RageAgainstTheAoki
02-22-2010, 01:49 AM
More leaks. Still don't think this sounds as strong as the material on the first 3 albums, but I'm digging it. Alison sounds more... at ease than I can recall her sounding.

Full copy of "Alive":
http://musicfascination.com/2010/02/20/new-goldfrapp-alive/

+ Snippets of the title track and of "Shiny & Warm":
BPRnK2zFJyo

fatbastard
02-22-2010, 05:08 AM

This is the way to start a morning:)

getbetter
02-22-2010, 10:14 AM
^:)

sacleonard
02-22-2010, 10:28 AM

The photo got lost from the previous page.
:)

daft$tar
02-25-2010, 09:41 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MGm_L81qRrw

BPRnK2zFJyo

lunatic core
02-27-2010, 04:16 AM
I loved seventh tree. I like Goldfrapps variety. Makes each new album exciting.

JewFace
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Finally! The 'Rocket' video has arrived. Don't see it on YouTube yet, but here's the myspace link: 'Rocket' video (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=103323532&searchid=707c1c16-6bbc-444a-9fc7-08e818e8f02f).

Things to note:

Alison looks fucking fantastic. My God, those legs! (BS, I think you'll be happy, though we really could have gotten more of those legs.)
There is a giant purple headed rocket being blasted off into space and far, far away from Alison. There is no connection between this and her recent coming out as a "mid-life Lesbian".
The CGI budget was $200 and the dancers are an afterthought, but that's to be expected with Goldfrapp.
Best use of duct tape in a music video ever.
Only negative for me is that it's really poorly edited.

BlackSwan
03-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Definitely foxy. Mid-life lesbian?... Interesting.

JewFace
03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah. You don't know about this? Here's the rundown:

Alison and Will were asked to write the music for the pre-Beatles John Lennon bio-pic Nowhere Boy. Lisa Gunning was the editor for the film.

Lisa Gunning is a lesbo.

Alison was photographed at a few events/openings (ha) with Gunning.

There was some quiet, below-the-radar gossip flying about the possibility that Alison was "experimenting" and we're not talking about music.

Then the London Times (which has basically turned into a rag since Rupert Murdoch took ownership a few years back) filed this (http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationships/article6964902.ece) report on, the trend of "Mid-life Lesbians" such as Alison. This despite the fact that she had never publically mentioned a relationship with Gunning and had never come out. Excellent journalism from The Times.

In subsequent interviews she spoke quite openly about the fact that, yes, she was in a very happy relationship with Gunning and that she doesn't know why anyone would be surprised. She doesn't wish to label herself bi (or anything) but said she's had long happy relationships with men and women and this is not something new.

Oh God. I'm kind of ashamed that I know all this. Without looking any of it up.

luckyface
03-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I was a little sad to hear that she was a lesbian until I saw that Times pic. Is that how she normally looks??

bballarl
03-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah. You don't know about this? Here's the rundown:

Alison and Will were asked to write the music for the pre-Beatles John Lennon bio-pic Nowhere Boy. Lisa Gunning was the editor for the film.

Lisa Gunning is a lesbo.

Alison was photographed at a few events/openings (ha) with Gunning.

There was some quiet, below-the-radar gossip flying about the possibility that Alison was "experimenting" and we're not talking about music.

Then the London Times (which has basically turned into a rag since Rupert Murdoch took ownership a few years back) filed this (http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationships/article6964902.ece) report on, the trend of "Mid-life Lesbians" such as Alison. This despite the fact that she had never publically mentioned a relationship with Gunning and had never come out. Excellent journalism from The Times.

In subsequent interviews she spoke quite openly about the fact that, yes, she was in a very happy relationship with Gunning and that she doesn't know why anyone would be surprised. She doesn't wish to label herself bi (or anything) but said she's had long happy relationships with men and women and this is not something new.

Oh God. I'm kind of ashamed that I know all this. Without looking any of it up.

Hahahahahaha

emtgreg
03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
She gets hotter, constantly.

JorgeC
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Definitely foxy. Mid-life lesbian?... Interesting.

No wonder she was always mean and screaming at the people that worked on the tours. Yup, sounds like a lezbro to me. Surprised, but not shocked.

JewFace
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Jorge, don't be one of those cliche gaybo lesbo haters. Anyway, she's not a lesbo, she's bi. As for her staring daggers and gesturing angrily at the sound guys, she's a perfectionist. It must be incredibly frustrating not to hear yourself properly when performing. Plus, being a bit of a bitch is just another fun aspect of her persona. She absolutely loves the fans, though. You can see it every time she performs.

HQ vid on YT now:
rJppnG1tflU

sbessiso
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
No wonder she was always mean and screaming at the people that worked on the tours. Yup, sounds like a lezbro to me. Surprised, but not shocked.

HILARIOUS

i love you JC

JewFace
03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I can't wait to hear 'Voicething'. A chorus full of Alisons sounds amazing. Also, if you can watch the 'Rocket' teaser below all the way thru without getting a semi, I'll see you at the gay orgy.

yin2lmTW6t0

anjzcbngX-Q

Cookieman908
03-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Anyone have a list of their 2010 tour dates that they're confirmed on so far? I need to see Goldfrapp!!!!

LooseAtTheZoo
03-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have the leak that they could either post to the leak group or pm me?

getbetter
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
pm too

my gf would love it

JorgeC
03-11-2010, 01:01 PM
HILARIOUS

i love you JC

love you too sweetie! You'll have to save me a dance next month!

Jorge, don't be one of those cliche gaybo lesbo haters. Anyway, she's not a lesbo, she's bi. As for her staring daggers and gesturing angrily at the sound guys, she's a perfectionist. It must be incredibly frustrating not to hear yourself properly when performing. Plus, being a bit of a bitch is just another fun aspect of her persona. She absolutely loves the fans, though. You can see it every time she performs.

I'm all cliche baby! j/k. I know lots of all kinds of lgbtq peeps, i just pictured her perfectionist ways as sexual frustration seeping its way out, which in my head makes sense after hearing the bi story.

While i'm sure it's incredibly frustrating not to hear yourself properly when performing, she can't be the only artist that that happens to. She shouldn't get a pass for being a beeyotch just cuz she's an amazing artist. No one deserves to be yelled at in such an unprofessional manner. I've been to many shows over the years and have never seen that type of behavior from anyone else.

Oh, and Perfect Beat just got the new UK remix single in stock. I'm going to buy it tonight when I get home...does remix CD collecting make me moar ghey? :winkiss

daft$tar
03-11-2010, 01:33 PM
it has not leaked yet - DYING FOR IT THOUGH

JewFace
03-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I know. I'm surprised at how well they've done at keeping this one on lock down. The only full songs to leak (that I'm aware of) are Rocket, Believer and Alive. If you're absolutely dying, the widget found here (http://www.wearepopslags.com/preview-of-the-goldfrapp-album-head-first/) offers snippets of the songs not heard elsewhere. The only one that leaves me a bit flat is I Wanna Life. I can't wait to hear the title song and Hunt. I feel like I've died and gone to Xanadu hearing all these candy floss synths.

fikus222
03-12-2010, 08:38 PM
From a Goldfrapp email that I received today:

Live news
Goldfrapp have been confirmed and announced to perform here:

Oxegen
T In The Park
V2010
Hollywood Bowl (June 27th)

More live dates will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Until next time.

Deer

X

daft$tar
03-12-2010, 10:13 PM
can't wait - hopefully the bowl isnt too big for them...

im optimistic tho

CellarOwl
03-13-2010, 05:41 AM
I really want to hear the whole album, the previews do nothing for me. When I heard Rocket, all I could immediately think of was Van Halen but it's a great song. My only complaint is how it ends so abruptly with the countdown at the end. It sounds really unnatural and rushed, they could have gotten more out of the track.

..And Alison looks sexy as hell in that video.

daft$tar
03-13-2010, 12:13 PM
it leaked

JewFace
03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Thoughts on the album? I'm going to wait for the actual release. Just 10 days away. I think I can handle it.

fikus222
03-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Thoughts on the album? I'm going to wait for the actual release. Just 10 days away. I think I can handle it.

So far, I've only given it one listen, but I think it's pretty good. I'm glad that they shifted back towards a more dance oriented record, it's almost too 80s, but I'm pretty damn sure that the material will work well in a live setting, especially mixed in with the rest of their catalog.

lunatic core
03-14-2010, 12:28 AM
So far, I've only given it one listen, but I think it's pretty good. I'm glad that they shifted back towards a more dance oriented record, it's almost too 80s, but I'm pretty damn sure that the material will work well in a live setting, especially mixed in with the rest of their catalog.

Jesus I must be the only person that liked Seventh Tree better than Supernature.

JewFace
03-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Lunatic, I loved 7th Tree, but it was definitely their weakest album. Some of those songs veered dangerously close to a background music/elevator/dinner party soundtrack. I wish more of that album had matched the pastoral beauty of 'Clowns' which I still think is one of their best songs. And, as lovely as it was to hear those songs live, the 7th Tree tour definitely lost some of the drama and spectacle of the previous tours.

As for the new one, I cheated. Kinda. I listened to the title track, but that's it. The title song is so beautiful. I don't think Alison has ever sounded so relaxed. What a sweetly earnest chorus. My God, her voice on that line that sounds like "My whole world [something something]..." is exquisite. Who knew a 43 yr old woman could so beautifully capture the feeling of young love?

This will probably be taken down by Monday...
O167ET7RayQ

fikus222
03-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Lunatic, I loved 7th Tree, but it was definitely their weakest album. Some of those songs veered dangerously close to a background music/elevator/dinner party soundtrack. I wish more of that album had matched the pastoral beauty of 'Clowns' which I still think is one of their best songs. And, as lovely as it was to hear those songs live, the 7th Tree tour definitely lost some of the drama and spectacle of the previous tours.

I agree completely with the bolded portion above.

lunatic core
03-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Maybe I just have too much electronic music for her stuff to stick to me, but Seventh Tree and Felt Mountain both got more time in my CD players. Train is the sexiest fucking song ever though. I really loved Black Cherry when I got it.

hawkingvsreeve
03-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Ladyhawke did this record 2 years ago.

fikus222
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM

I hear ya, but Goldfrapp up'd the ante and made this one even more steeped in the 80s.

daft$tar
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
i really like it a lot - it feels a bit short - i like it tho...

JewFace
03-15-2010, 03:40 AM

I know what you're saying here. When it comes to 80s revivalists, Goldfrapp is behind the curve. But, for me, it's not always about who got there first but about who does it better. Ladyhawke's awfully stylish but her music feels very empty to me as does her voice. I just think Goldfrapp are better songwriters and when Alison sings, even if it's the silliest, most innocuous thing it always manages to sound simultaneously authoritative and sensual. I don't think any of those other girls - Ladyhawke, La Roux, Little Boots, etc. can match that voice.

GnarVee
03-15-2010, 07:34 AM
i really like it a lot - it feels a bit short - i like it tho...

woooja pm me a lank....I'e beeen loookn eeerreryywhuurre!

http://www.clevelandleader.com/files/ClevelandBrownTVShow.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
There isn't really anything vocally impressive about this record though. It's synthy dance pop with some pretty good female singing on top. Normally that's my thing, but the songs here are kind of boring. Rocket is a complete earworm but that doesn't mean that I get happy when it's stuck in my head. The only track I really like or can even remember is Dreaming, which takes turns borrowing heavily from both the Cure and Fleetwood Mac.

HandBanana
03-15-2010, 09:51 AM
It's good, but she sounds bored. Feels like a phone-in.
Which is a shame, but the world is full of these records now, unlike when Black Cherry came out. I expected something a bit more envelope-pushing from her.

It's good tho. But she does sound disinterested.

JewFace
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Really? That's interesting. That's not my impression at all. I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to Goldfrapp, but I think I'm fairly capable of pulling back and telling when they've missed the mark. (Point in case, the rather dreadful power pop of 'Caravan Girl'). But I'd say Alison sounds quite the opposite of "bored" or "disinterested". In fact, on 'Head First' I don't think she's ever sounded so emotionally direct or connected. And I don't think she's ever sounded as relaxed as she does on 'Rocket' and 'Alive'. Perhaps that's it? That she's so relaxed and the music is ebullient? There isn't that mystery of Felt Mountain, that hard edged dark sexuality of Black Cherry or that fizzy glam stomp of Supernature so she doesn't sound so... dark. But I wouldn't take that as her being disengaged. I can't wait to hear these songs live. I bet they're going to be killer.

hawkingvsreeve
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Or, these songs aren't terribly hard to sing. Not that they have to be. I'm just saying.

JewFace
03-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I dunno. I've pretty much studied vocal music since I was kiddo (not that I'm claiming to be a great singer) but I think that while vocal gymnastics and "big" singing can be impressive, it's actually a lot easier than singing... "less", you know? Undersinging, if you will. The skill required to sing that precisesly is not as apparent as it is when someone is singing more fist-pounding stuff. Anyway, that will vary from vocalist to vocalist.

hawkingvsreeve
03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I guess what I mean is that because the parts aren't really note heavy or busy, she can concentrate on getting the delivery right. I'm going through the album again at the moment. I think it's just a little too sugary and syrupy for me. I like their sexy stuff.

Aurgasm
03-15-2010, 01:43 PM
wow this is a pretty awful record so far.

what is everyone's favorite track? i cant sit through this garbage for long..

humanoid
03-15-2010, 04:31 PM
I have to go listen to Black Cherry to cleanse my listening palette. I definitely don't expect them to repeat themselves, but I know I won't be listening to this album....

daft$tar
03-15-2010, 11:28 PM
allison doesnt sound bored - from listening to it you can hear that shes in love - dont people make their best music when they are heartbroken/loveless?

im a fanboy with goldfrapp so its hard for me to talk badly but im not as blown away with this like every other release of theirs - even seventh tree...

daft$tar
03-15-2010, 11:29 PM
wow this is a pretty awful record so far.

what is everyone's favorite track? i cant sit through this garbage for long..

just stop listening and go away

Aurgasm
03-15-2010, 11:38 PM
just stop listening and go away

I did that a few hours ago... thanks, fanboy.

lunatic core
03-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Free "exclusive" Rocket (Richard X Zero One Remix) MP3 on Amazon right now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ACC4ZY/ref=dm_ty_trk?ie=UTF8&qid=1268732071&sr=1-3

fikus222
03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
THIS is the sh!t:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fMQ07wWsuk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fMQ07wWsuk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BlackSwan
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I am disappointed with this album. Goldfrapp doing 80's could've worked, and there are a couple songs that are catchy and I kind of enjoy them, but this just seems so below them. So easy. All of their previous work is so dramatic and sexy, and this just feels empty... at least the majority of it.

I'm sure the songs they do live will sound good mixed in with the old stuff, but this is a disappointing effort when compared to their previous work. There is really no denying that.

That is my first impression, but I doubt it will change.

daft$tar
03-16-2010, 04:24 PM
I did that a few hours ago... thanks, fanboy.

i know - im sorry x :)

daft$tar
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
THIS is the sh!t:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fMQ07wWsuk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fMQ07wWsuk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

yea thats insanity

higgybaby23
03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Finally gave it a listen. It gave me a similiar feeling as the latest Air album. It's just ok when I was anticipating something a little more. I'm sure it will grow on me, but so far meh.

I also realized Head First is a double entendre and overtly sexual. Am I behind the curve on this?

daft$tar
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
"your 'head first' pre-order is available for download"

ive had a week with it and its on perma-repeat - now with super HQ/purchased copy blaring in my insane headphones - in heaven...

still short

but real damn good

higgybaby23
03-24-2010, 07:18 AM
I would like to add a few letters to my previous review: ABBA.

daft$tar
03-24-2010, 06:56 PM
ABBA = a good thing

lunatic core
03-24-2010, 07:45 PM
I also realized Head First is a double entendre and overtly sexual. Am I behind the curve on this?

Well you just pointed it out to me....

JorgeC
03-24-2010, 09:58 PM
On first listen, i like it better than 7th tree. a great effort, and i agree with the Ladyhawke comment about it being done before, but I still think this album is better than hers. Too short though. Need to give it a few more listens before I pick a favorite track, can't wait to hear the songs live.

lunatic core
03-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Pitchfork review is up

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14063-head-first/

JorgeC
03-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Coming in to work, Shiny and Warm is my fave track...could change by the time I drive home though

higgybaby23
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
ABBA = a good thing

I concur.

lunatic core
03-26-2010, 03:20 AM
God bless Fark.com.

For listeners old and new, Goldfrapp's new album is akin to a valley girl rescued from cryogenic immersion*
http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=5143357
Headline is from the popmatters review
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/122828-goldfrapp-head-first/
http://i41.tinypic.com/1zw2cu0.jpg

donkey sex
03-26-2010, 07:42 AM
thats some intense shopping

CellarOwl
03-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Haha. I lol'd.

This album didn't just use old synths and gear as an influence, it hit a straight-up fucking timewarp. Anyway, the songs slide too comfortably into place, it feels like a filler album to pad out their career. It's not forward-thinking enough to leave any kind of imprint, and that's fine, it can be a bubbly pop album. But in order for a pop album like this to work, the songs need to at least be memorable and most of these really aren't. It's just...there.

daft$tar
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
God bless Fark.com.

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=5143357
Headline is from the popmatters review
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/122828-goldfrapp-head-first/
http://i41.tinypic.com/1zw2cu0.jpg

haha genius

fikus222
04-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Here are some pics from a performance on 3/21/10 in Italy:

http://blackcherrytv8.free.fr/images/TV/big/italy210310/10.jpghttp://blackcherrytv8.free.fr/images/TV/big/italy210310/7.jpg

And 3/26/10 in England:

http://blackcherrytv8.free.fr/images/TV/big/fridaynight260310.jpg

Here's a link to Rocket from the performance above: HD YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4pq8OwZ60Y)

Not bad, I can dig it :p

daft$tar
04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Goldfrapp @ hollywood bowl - presale 4/22

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B004486B6E733E3?artistid=803989&majorcatid=10002&minorcatid=203

fikus222
05-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Here's a strange new video from Goldfrapp for their song Alive:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tSdZAkA4VpA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tSdZAkA4VpA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Ha ha ha haaaa! I love it. Lasers, satanists, sex starved vampires, Xanadu and Oliva Newton John era 'Physical'. What more do you need?

daft$tar
05-20-2010, 10:29 PM
hmmm

i liked it - i guess - i mean - i have the same feeling about it that i have about the whole 'head first' project - i like it...

the video is a lesbian version of little boots meets daft punk's around the world meets olivia newton john on pcp

**EDIT**

ok ok after watching this a few times its pretty genius - love it :)

BlackSwan
05-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Looks like I'll be in attendance for the Fox show after all... Good stuff.

fikus222
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Cool, are you guys getting floor or balcony seats and may I ask what happened to Chi-town?

BlackSwan
05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Floor... Decided it wasn't worth the cost of the weekend trip. Flights are a lot more expensive than they were the last time we went to Chicago. What kind of tickets do you guys have?

daft$tar
05-25-2010, 08:31 PM

ill be there too!

cant wait

fikus222
05-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Floor... Decided it wasn't worth the cost of the weekend trip. Flights are a lot more expensive than they were the last time we went to Chicago. What kind of tickets do you guys have?

I've got floor tix and this will be my first time at the Fox too :D

The sucky part is that my wife will be flying back to Seattle a few days b4 the show :(

ill be there too!

cant wait

Right on :)

RageAgainstTheAoki
05-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm doing the Fox show too. Looking forward to a weekend away in SF!

donkey sex
05-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Got Hollywood bowl tix during the pre-sale. Section J for Joint(s). May need a date.

BlackSwan
06-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Goldfrapp played her first post-Head First show last night at O2 Academy Oxford:

1. Voicething
2. Crystalline Green
3. Train
4. I Wanna Life
5. A&E
6. You Never Know
7. Head First
8. Number 1
9. Believer
10. Shiny and Warm
11. Alive
12. Ride a White Horse
13. Ooh La La

Encore:
14. Utopia [Set list offered either Clowns or Utopia but it was Utopia that was played. Little Bird also listed after Utopia but was dropped.]
15. Rocket [Aborted after 2 attempts]
16. Strict Machine

PORrhydDrt8

SR6N2VM3HHQ

3o-Wiv-3S78

VvGeBaq-jKg

I like the set list, but the lack of production is surprising. This is all she is bringing to a venue like the Hollywood Bowl?

fikus222
06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I also like the set list...I'm getting pretty excited, the Fox is only 2.5 weeks away :D Hopefully by then they'll have the kinks worked out.

With regard to their stage production, its always been heavy on the costumes with not so much emphasis on the backdrop. Of the three album tours that I have seen, I'm pretty sure the only back drop that they've had was the interwoven mat thing from the 7th Tree tour.

BlackSwan
06-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Indeed, but it's not even like the band are wearing costumes, and she had the same dress on the whole show. I am just surprised they aren't stepping it up at all. We at least deserve some crazy back-up dancers...

http://www.dansmallspresents.com/smallsworld/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/goldfrapp.jpg

fikus222
06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Hell yeah, Head First practically demands the inclusion of crazily costumed back up dancers.

fatbastard
06-09-2010, 05:14 AM
What happened to Rocket?

daft$tar
06-09-2010, 02:05 PM
cant wait!!

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
So yesterday I found out that my business trip to Nor Cal in late June was being canceled and consequently, I would not be seeing Goldfrapp at The Fox :(

Then, today, I found out that I'd won ticket to the Bowl show! Nice. Really looking forward to this gig. I hope they get a good 90 minutes or so to play. Those Sunday night curfews at the Bowl are such a buzzkill.

I wouldn't take that Oxford gig as an indication of what we'll get at the Bowl. That venue is much more intimate than the kinds of venues they usually headline in the UK. They always seem to play warm up gigs before their big official tours start so I'm sure that's what this particular gig was considered.

BlackSwan
06-22-2010, 11:10 AM
This more like it:

Ui8ox5Afk7s

D9Woruih5ZY

fikus222
06-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Here's the setlist from last night's show in DC:

Crystalline Green
I wanna life
A&E
Dreaming
Head First
Number 1
Believer
Alive
Shiny and Warm
Train
Ride a White Horse
Ooh La La

Utopia
Black Cherry
Rocket

Strict Machine

Source and review: http://www.goldfrapp.com/msgboard/showpost.php?p=558270&postcount=68

Pretty sweet, but I'm bummed they've taken out You Never Know.

BlackSwan
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh fuck, I didn't notice that. I am now bummed as well.

daft$tar
06-22-2010, 11:58 AM
i cant go in sf on saturday - does anyone want my tickets?

PM me

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Pretty sweet, but I'm bummed they've taken out You Never Know.

Oh fuck, I didn't notice that. I am now bummed as well.

Yeah, U Never Know always kills live, but they've played it at practically every gig of their two most recent tours. More importantly, they've replaced it with Dreaming! I really hope they play Dreaming at the Bowl. The last 2 minutes of that song are Goldfrapp disco heaven.

fikus222
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
You Never Know is one of my favorite Goldfrapp songs, but in the moment, the lack of it may be forgiven due to the awesomeness that is the rest of the songs in these set lists.

A couple of notes; Allison changed her costume 3 times during the DC show and there was also an opening act from NYC. They are a boy and girl duo called Cults. They have that song Go Outside, but I can't tell if they are opening just on the East Coast or on the West Side too. Here's their site:

http://cults.bandcamp.com/

donkey sex
06-24-2010, 06:41 PM
In preparation for Sunday I downloaded this deal (sixty songs for twelve credits): http://www.emusic.com/album/Various-Artists-Buena-Vista-Cuban-Club-MP3-Download/11839370.html

Tis really good feelin, sunny day music. Now trying to figure out how much alcohol to bring. So far, thinking two bottles of wine and some rum along with ganj and baquette sandwiches all placed in a quaint picnic basket.

hacking my dreams
06-24-2010, 10:29 PM
i wish you all a great show! i hope they return soon! gorgeous pics from Italy.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Gorgeous pics from Italy? What...?

So, I heard there's this myth that Los Angeles has a subway system. Now that I live in LA, I'd rather not deal with the ridiculous Bowl traffic and parking. I'm almost as excited about taking the Metro RedLine as I am about the actual concert. Ha.

There aren't any restrictions on food & bev, right? I seem to remember my friend and I having to down our bottle of champagne before going in to the Bowl to see Kylie, but maybe that's just the policy for lease events?

hacking my dreams
06-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Gorgeous pics from Italy? What...?

Um, dumbass, why don't you read the previous page before going all "Whaat?" typical LA dumbass

hacking my dreams
06-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Here are some pics from a performance on 3/21/10 in Italy:

http://blackcherrytv8.free.fr/images/TV/big/italy210310/10.jpghttp://blackcherrytv8.free.fr/images/TV/big/italy210310/7.jpg

Do I have to burp you too, baby? And tell you how to navigate your own city?

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Um, dumbass, why don't you read the previous page before going all "Whaat?" typical LA dumbass

Ah. Right you are. I think the fact that you were referencing a post from nearly 3 months ago is probably what threw me off.

Do I have to burp you too, baby? And tell you how to navigate your own city?

Thank you for the kind offer; I'll be fine on my own, though. Are all Arizonans so nice?

hacking my dreams
06-25-2010, 12:44 AM
I am from NY. Are all LAliens so dumb? Yes. How much did you pay for your ticket? Proof.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-25-2010, 12:52 AM
$0.00. I won the tickets. As much as I love Goldfrapp, I probably would have skipped this show had I not won the tickets due to those ridiculous KCRW WorldFest prices.

hacking my dreams
06-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Bravo. So, the $17.00 tix or the gardenseats/terrace seats, bub? The ticket prices were ridiculous. I was flabbergasted. Plus you gotta sit down. That sucks the fun out of it.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Actually, we did pretty well. According to Ticketmaster, our tickets would have cost $90 ea.

You do not have to sit down at the Bowl. In fact, the only Bowl concerts I've ever remained seated at were for the LA Phil or Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. What does limit the appeal of the venue is the depth of the ampitheatre. If you're not in the first few sections, it's like you're in another universe up there.

hacking my dreams
06-25-2010, 01:10 AM
$90 to see Goldfrapp, and whoever is opening for them, is unbelievable. You will be partying next to the biggest douches. I sincerely wish you all a great show.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Yes, $90 is a lot. I'm sure some of them are dedicated Goldfrapp fanboys.

Is the issue with the wealthy or with those who live beyond their means? I believe there may be a couple of people who fit those descriptions in NY as well.

fikus222
06-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Here's the setlist from the NY show:

Voicething.
Crystalline Green.
I Wanna Life.
A & E.
You Never Know.
Head First.
Number 1.
Dreaming.
Believer.
Alive.
Shiny & Warm.
Train.
Ride A White Horse.
Ooh La La.

Utopia.
Black Cherry.

Rocket.
Strict Machine.

You Never Know, plus Dreaming, now that's what I call a compromise :D

Edit:

Here are some great pics from NYC:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15434282@N00/sets/72157624345252628/

Also, the Fox's site says Kool Karlo is opening, whatever.

donkey sex
06-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Likin that first encore with 'Black Cherry'. Should be pretty well lushed out by then. Kinda thinkin/hopin they do 'Clowns' or 'Caravan' for the California crowd.

My tix were $35 each. Lookin forward to hearing Buena Vista Cubanos (bringing binos to watch gay boys dancing...I'm normally too stiff, but may feel the rthymn and have a go too). Here's to a great night. Salud.

hacking my dreams
06-25-2010, 03:53 PM
do tell us if they don't do caravan in california.

fikus222
06-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I can't wait for the show tonight, by the look of these set lists and reviews it is going to be awesome!!!

I'll be the tall blond white guy hanging out with a tallish Asian dude. We'll be in the GA area, come say hi if'n you see us.

fikus222
06-27-2010, 01:39 AM
OMFG tonight was pure awesome!!!!! This show kicked so much ass :D I've now seen 4 Goldfrapp album tours and I think tonight might have been the very best yet. My hesitatation stems from the fact that I was second row at the Fillmore for the Black Cherry tour, so it's hard to say if tonight actually topped that. However, the set list tonight was mostly purrrfect and Allison, the band and the whole crowd seemed to enjoy themselves immensely.

Blackswan, it was very cool meeting you. I hope you and your wife enjoyed the show at least half as much as Randy and I :)

One of the most entertaining moments of the evening came when Goldfrapp's giant metallic doughnut deflated and Allison, in good spirits, told the crew to leave it be and continued on w/o missing a beat. A little while later, the crew was able to re-inflate the silver thingading and all was well and good.

Erika is going to be sooooo jealous when she finds out how amazing tonight was :( I'm so very glad that tonight was my first experience at the Fox.

Edit:

Here's a link to someone's pics from last night:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gloomboy/with/4739083972/

And here is the silver doughnut snafu:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4739083972_cb1a956d48.jpg

JorgeC
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Agreed, 2nd best goldfrapp show (#1 being the Supernature stop at the Wiltern). 19 songs, same setlist as NY. I was pretty sure she walked back there and said "fuck u" but u probably had a better view, I was far left by the rail. My #1 track of the night was Train and the only complaint I had were the pauses between songs. Had she run thru the songs together it woulda been a nonstop dance party. As it was, everthing was perfect and I'd feel a buildup of energy during the songs, then a letdown before the next one started.

I wish I was coming up for Flaming Lips or Chems.

hacking my dreams
06-27-2010, 10:41 AM
wowowow. i wish i had that lifestyle :)

fikus222
06-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Here is a link to another set of pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bchoi9999/sets/72157624241666541/show/

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Sounds like you had a cracking time, Fikus! Nice to know that you got both You Never Know and Dreaming. I'm so excited about tonight even though I know we're not going to get the full 19 song set that you did. That silly silver doughnut is probably going to be dwarfed by the massive Hollywood Bowl shell. Quite a vision, I'm sure. Limited edition poster design (no idea if it's actually being sold at the Bowl):

http://i49.tinypic.com/6fvbdl.jpg

higgybaby23
06-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Bowl review? Anybody?

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Bowl review? Anybody?

I posted a review on Goldfrapp’s site. I was typing it while I was on a conference call at work (yay, Mondays!) so sorry if it’s just a rambling incoherent mess. I…well, I can’t be bothered to retype it. It can best be summarized as: RageAgainstTheAoki is a whiny bitch and should just be grateful that he won free tickets to see Goldfrapp at the Bowl.

They played a pretty short set. 12 songs. 1 encore. 1 costume change. No stupid silver doughnut. No extras for the Bowl (like dancers). They sounded great, Alison had an amazing time. It's just not the right venue for them.

I went into this with low expectations and they were met. I have a love/hate relationship with this venue. It's beautiful, iconic, the quintessential summer experience in LA but basically a terrible concert venue unless you're in the front two sections. Alison alluded to it herself when she said "Oh, I wish you all were down here closer to me".

The crowd was so-so, though it was nice to see so many people turn out for Goldfrapp. I passed the House Manager's door when exiting where they hand write the evening's capacity and there 13,500 people out last night. Not sold out, but that's still a lot of people to see Goldfrapp. I wish they put all the yuppies up at the top and all those fun kids in the back could be closer. I was about 1/3 of the way back. A good deal of the nearly 14,000 people there would have been Hollywood Bowl subscribers rather than outright Goldfrapp fans, and many were lulled into a food and booze fueled coma from sitting there in the balmy summer air enjoying their picnics and the beautiful (but ever so soothing) sounds of Orquestra Buena Vista Social Club who played before Goldfrapp. As lovely as Buena Vista Social Club were, they were totally the wrong vibe to lead into Goldfrapp.

Then you have the sound, which isn't ever loud enough at the Bowl (thanks Hollywood Hills yuppies and your sound restrictions and noise curfews). The mix was also terrible at times with Alison's vocals getting totally buried and there were several occasions where the synths (I think usually Angie's) just got completely lost in the mix and she might as well have been miming. The sound definitely improved somewhat half way through.

The lighting was definitely not designed for a venue of this size either, I'm afraid. It rarely dazzled and often was too murky because it was set up to be in a much smaller venue. Got to say, though, I LOVED when the sparkly lights kicked in during Shiny & Warm. The entire proscenium arch of the Bowl was covered in these tiny sparkly lights which lit up for the first time during Shiny and Warm's chorus synth lines. That was fantastic and pretty much the point at which the energy picked up.

You'll be happy to know that the silly doughnut, which would have looked ridiculous in the shell of the Bowl, was left in Oakland.

Goldfrapp themselves were great (as per usual). Alison looked fantastic in that gold leaf dress. She sang beautifully and looked like she was having more fun than I've ever seen her have from the Felt Mountain tour to present, the band sounded great. Davide even walked out onto the catwalk surrounding the orchestra pit with his keytar to egg the crowd on.

I'm sure every live act wants to play the Bowl at least once in their career; it's an iconic venue that says "I've made it", but it's definitely not the right venue to truly enjoy Goldfrapp in. If they come back to LA during this tour, I hope they play a much more intimate general admission venue like Nokia at Staples Center or the Hollywood Palladium. It's always much more fun when everyone's packed in there and you can feel that signature thick, sticky Goldfrapp bass shaking the very foundation of the building. To me, a concert is as much about the atmosphere in the room and the energy of the crowd, which the artist will feed off of as much as it is about the performance itself. I actually think there was more energy at Goldfrapps's Supernature era show at the Wiltern (which probably holds no more than 2,000 people) than there was at the Bowl last night (which holds nearly 18,000 people). I'm glad I went and even gladder I won my tickets. If this was your first time seeing Goldfrapp, wait until you see them in a smaller venue. Then, you'll really get the full live experience.

Oh, and, someone said they played past the curfew? According to my watch they played until 10:20 and the curfew is at 10:30 on Sundays and weekdays, so they actually could have played one or two more songs.

donkey sex
06-28-2010, 06:54 PM
didn't like how you couldn't buy booze after the headliner started. Waz up wit dat? Fortunately I had ganj, but still like to git my drink on.

I black.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-29-2010, 01:07 AM
That's why you pack your picnic basket full of booze, man.

This was probably the best 60 seconds of the show. Everything came together, the synths were thick and sticky, the drums were pounding, the bass was deep, Alison (though you can't see her) was marching around like a possessed woman and the light show really took off.

AOy8ynamd6s

daft$tar
06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki hates on the Bowl
I went into this with low expectations and they were met. I have a love/hate relationship with this venue. It's beautiful, iconic, the quintessential summer experience in LA but basically a terrible concert venue unless you're in the front two sections. Alison alluded to it herself when she said "Oh, I wish you all were down here closer to me".

that is why i skipped the bowl show...

hacking my dreams
06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki hates on the Bowl

that is why i skipped the bowl show...

me too. damn right she should have said "something" about that.

and aoki, you didn't have no $90 tickets, you was FAR FAR from the stage.

donkey sex
06-30-2010, 07:33 PM
snuck down to the front row of the $90 section towards the encore. Well, was invited, so it wasn't really "sneaking"...but it involved an a scheme of ticket stub proof for the ushers. It all worked out...fun night.

hacking my dreams
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
i was hoping to hear something along those lines as possible, congrats.

RageAgainstTheAoki
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
me too. damn right she should have said "something" about that.

and aoki, you didn't have no $90 tickets, you was FAR FAR from the stage.

Yeah it turned out we had $50 tix. The sections directly to the sides of the boxes. About 1/4 of the way back. I wouldn't say we were far, far away. The energy definitely seemed better in the cheap seats, though.

hacking my dreams
06-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Good call on my part. Haven't even seen the damn thing in person.

fikus222
08-12-2010, 01:37 PM
From Goldfrapp:

Here is something for you to look at: the lovely Lisa Gunning hung out with us in America, Mexico and Australia. While she was with us, she made this wonderful little film. It's a mix of all the shows and some backstage stuff. We hope you enjoy watching it. Big kisses and a huge thank you to Lisa!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q1d2ic-QpfA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q1d2ic-QpfA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>