PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring photographer in need of a photopass

elliot richter
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
If anyone has the hookup photopass for and would like to help me out i would really appreciate it! taking pictures at coachella would be an amazing experience and opportunity for me. this is a link to my flickr if you want to check out my pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/elliotvaughnrichter/
and my email is erichter666@gmail.com
THANKS!

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-24-2010, 11:37 AM
contact the board member Ivankay

CALRIZIAN
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
You can contact them directly.. look it up on the site

Ive had friends from Music Blogs get press passes and they made it seem relatively easy..

this ofcourse depends on how legitmate you are...

if you really are a professional then it shouldnt be a problem

ivankay
01-24-2010, 05:01 PM
contact the board member Ivankay

i hear every year how rare it is to be in possession of a photo pass. i am grateful to have had the opportunity to have one since the second day in 2006 (http://renegademartian.buzznet.com/user/journal/22110/coachella-day-2-agony-ectasy/). Since then people have been asking me to hook them up. i barely hook myself up and year to year have to wait like everyone else to find out if that privilege will be happening again. Many apply, few are given. Your first step is to contact those who deal with press.

From the contact info page:

For press questions, photo pass inquiries, etc. please email:
press@coachella.com

i don't know what criteria they look for, but don't expect to get one due to odds.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-24-2010, 05:02 PM
oh, no, I wasnt telling him to contact you for a hookup haha, I was telling him to contact you because I know that you have experience with having one.

ivankay
01-24-2010, 05:08 PM
oh, no, I wasnt telling him to contact you for a hookup haha, I was telling him to contact you because I know that you have experience with having one.

whew. It can be tough, but as a picture taker, i'm sure the OP knows.

OP, if you have not gone to Coachella before, i would recommend going as a civilian first. Those are magical times.

StubbADubb
01-24-2010, 07:07 PM
I tried a few weeks ago - a few fashion blogs had expressed interest in me recording "festival fashion" for them through my blog, a few other sites etc but anyway, despite submitting my portfolio and published clips, press @ coachella told me they had already allotted their photo passes to those with "major publications" so no luck there.
On THAT note, I noticed that non-pro cameras are allowed in Coachella. Would my Sony SLR (really cheap SLR) be allowed into the festival?

Stickjohn
01-24-2010, 07:27 PM
No. the test is if the lens is removable or not.

ivankay
01-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Some how people sneak in SLRs, but they are not permitted without a photo pass. The risk of course is having to lug the camera back to your car or tent if security calls you on it. SLR regardless of price, quality or age is considered professional by the FAQ. The basis is on the ability to remove lenses (saying it's stuck will not werk).

edit - ah, Stickjohn beat me to it.

kentercanyon
01-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Every year since 2006 I waltz through security with my DSLR strapped around my neck. I have never once been stopped or questioned. I carry it around in broad daylight, take some photos during the shows, and still have never been approached. I think security has bigger problems then to check every schmuck's camera

Jayleigh
01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm really hoping this is the case... I usually disassemble mine and camera and lens in two diffferent inconspicious spots, and once I get in no one cares..

But it seems that other festivals really beefed up their security this year...

Lithium
01-27-2010, 09:14 AM
even though i'm a photographer, i am reluctant to bring my camera. i plan to just enjoy the music this year instead of constantly looking through a viewfinder.

Jgomesart
01-27-2010, 09:26 AM
On this topic, would this camera be considered a "professional" camera being how it is the size of an SLR and extended zoom, but has no removable lenses? I'm guessing I'd get grief from some security, but not others. Has anyone had any problems bringing in something similar to this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/9455127.p?id=1218107269974&skuId=9455127

ivankay
01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
People who have posted pictures from past Coachella on the boards have used similar Canons. You should have no problem.

Jgomesart
01-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Good to hear, Thanks!

HAMMERHEAD
01-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm really hoping this is the case... I usually disassemble mine and camera and lens in two diffferent inconspicious spots, and once I get in no one cares..

But it seems that other festivals really beefed up their security this year...

i wore sandals in and threw a pair of shoes in the bottom of my backpack and put my d300 body in one and an sb800 flash in another. flip the shoes upside down so they don't notice the odd bulges and you'll be fine. i recruited a friend to sneak my lens in for me. i told her if the security gave her shit to just say she was bringing it in for a friend that was doing press (what use is a lens with no camera). when all was said and done i was walking around with something similar to this on sunday with zero hassles and no trouble getting in.

*edit* when i say zero hassles i mean security guards saw me and never once asked for a press pass. i was in the dome on sunday super fucked up climbing on the speakers to take pictures and the only thing the guard did was ask me to get down once i finished taking a few more pictures.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/nikon_d300/nikon_d300_sb800.jpg

On this topic, would this camera be considered a "professional" camera being how it is the size of an SLR and extended zoom, but has no removable lenses? I'm guessing I'd get grief from some security, but not others. Has anyone had any problems bringing in something similar to this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/9455127.p?id=1218107269974&skuId=9455127

it might have the appearance of an SLR but it is still noticeably smaller than even an entry level SLR. if i got the my beastly rig in (see above), you should have no problem.