PDA

View Full Version : What live performance do YOU recommend

kentercanyon
01-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Out of the bands playing this year, which of them have you already seen live, and you can confidently stand up and say their live performances can't be missed

Any that you've seen that you think should be skipped?

Cuddlesthesheep
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
i saw Devo last year and they were terrible.

2ManyDJs is a must

kuuguy
01-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Deadmau5 is a must. If you haven't seen him yet, you HAVE to check him
out. Even though I've seen him 4 times already, one of my most
anticipated acts of the weekend.
Avett Brothers - live show not to be missed even though I wasn't originally
into their style of music, they f*$#in rocked out hard, and
converted me
Hot Chip in '08 Sahara was incredible
Sia in '08 was mind-blowing
Infected Mushroom is a lot of fun and unique band/sound
Benny Benassi caught me off guard and killed it at EDC this past summer
De La Soul if you remotely like hip hop

I saw Dead Weather at OSL last yr and although I love White Stripes and Raconteurs, I found their set mediocre at best, ended up wandering off in the latter half of their set to catch whatever else was on at the time, potentially nothing of interest for that matter. It's just not the same with Jack on the drums rather than the guitar. But I've heard starkly contrasting reviews of other shows, so it's hard to say, might be worth a shot.

Mjfritts
01-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Rx bandits are legit. it should be earlier on in the day so if you're waiting for the "main" stuff then give rx bandits a look. you won't regret it. they play on saturday

Egull
01-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

summerkid
01-22-2010, 11:13 PM
The Dead Weather

Jack White is a must see live there are very few artists today that command a stage like he does. Check this live clip out.

1tndP407luk

psycobetabuckdown
01-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Do not miss:
LCD Soundsystem
Porcupine Tree
Yann Tiersen

You can pass on:
Vampire Weekend

I have seen a couple other bands that don't really fit into either category. I wouldn't have anyone in the bottom list if Vampire Weekend plays with an orchestra or at least a string trio, because that would make all the difference for their show.

unit300021
01-22-2010, 11:16 PM
I saw Dead Weather at OSL last yr and although I love White Stripes and Raconteurs, I found their set mediocre at best, ended up wandering off in the latter half of their set to catch whatever else was on at the time, potentially nothing of interest for that matter. It's just not the same with Jack on the drums rather than the guitar. But I've heard starkly contrasting reviews of other shows, so it's hard to say, might be worth a shot.

i was at the dead weather show at OSL also and while the first half of the set was meh i thought the ending was great. everyone started switching instruments and i happen to love that personally. but chances re due to potential conflicts ill probably be skipping dead weather also.

as far of bands to see i would portugal. the man. while they are just ok on cd they really know how to play a live show.

boarderwoozel3
01-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Gossip are fantastic live. Seen them twice and they exceeded expectations both times.

summerkid
01-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Beth Ditto is a fat pig though...

gaypalmsprings
01-22-2010, 11:23 PM
John Waters

Ones I have seen & do not recommend:
Jay-Z
Vampire Weekend

juloxx
01-23-2010, 12:02 AM
I think Infected Mushroom is gonna be the illest... At least as far as an electronic set goes.

seanyb
01-23-2010, 12:14 AM
LCD Soundsystem for sure, easily in top 5 best sets I've ever seen
Hot Chip are fun if you're in that mood

noolan
01-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Old Crow Medicine Show, if you like blue grass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NhWzuDTD0A

dml26
01-23-2010, 12:47 AM
I got to see the Thom Yorke super group in October and its pretty awesome. Granted I was a big fan of the Eraser. Thom and Flea rock out and the percussion is banging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDSbDf6uAO4&feature=player_embedded

I'd pass on Julian Casablancas. While Phrazes... was a a pretty solid album, its lacking in a live performance. His show in SF was less than spectacular.

merznerve
01-23-2010, 12:56 AM
i've only seen the knife, but id recommend checking out fever ray.
girl has an amazing voice, and last time i saw they had a kick ass visual production (costumes, lights, screens)

http://www.urb.com/uploads/blogs/7625/Fever+Ray.jpg

serranocarlos
01-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Must see: Miike Snow.

Skip: Infected Mushroom, they are really fun and energetic live but if you live in the LA area, they always tend to play at many EDM festivals.

iammrcandyman
01-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Surprised no one mentioned it yet.

ORBITAL

psycobetabuckdown
01-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Most people haven't seen Orbital, which is one of the terms for recommending the performance.

sonofhal
01-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Going on people I've seen:

Unmissable.

Them Crooked Vultures
Fever Ray
Faith No More
Muse (Hate the music, but they do put on a good show)
The Dead Weather
Hot Chip
Devo
Mew
Portugal. The Man
Pavement
Matt & Kim

Worth Seeing

LCD Soundsystem
Grizzly Bear
Erol Alkan
Yeasayer
Ra Ra Riot
2ManyDJ's
Gossip
The Raveonettes
Frightened Rabbit
Tokyo Police Club
Flying Lotus
The Temper Trap
Girls
Beach House
Phoenix
Spoon
De La Soul
Julian Casablancas
Yo La Tengo
Deerhunter

Time to grab some spicy pie

Vampire Weaksauce
The Cribs
MGMT
Passion Pit
The XX (good album, dull live show)
MUTEMATH
The Big Pink
Florence And The Machine
Little Boots
Owen Pallett (Sorry MP)
Local Natives

Lots of other stuff on the lineup that I want to check out, but have yet to see live.

jazzz
01-23-2010, 01:54 AM
The Specials

Harrisment
01-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Grizzly Bear live blew me away last year. Definitely a do not miss for me.

Jakedeez
01-23-2010, 03:09 AM
Based on bands ive seen

Dont miss>
Deer Tick
Hot Chip= So sick live
Deadmau5
Old Crow Medicine Show
White Rabbits- these guys are badass
Porcupine Tree- easily my #1

Not so hot(at least when i saw them)
Portugal the Man
Yo La Tengo
Coheed & Cambria
Matt & Kim
Vampire Weekend
Infected Mushroom
Muse

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Of what I have seen:
Thom Yorke, Muse, Grizzly Bear, Infected Mushroom, Deadmau5, Phoenix, Faith No More (although I saw them oh god 19 years ago??)

MarkO
01-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Good = Green
Pass or No need to see again = Red

I have seen FNM twice, Echo, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Tokyo Police Club, De La Soul, The Cribs, Devo, Spoon.

Boourns
01-23-2010, 07:01 AM
The acts I've seen...

Definitely watch:
LCD Soundsystem
Grizzly Bear (only got to see for 10 minutes in 2007 but was lovely)
Muse
Dirty Projectors
Yann Tiersen
Owen Pallett

Worth checking out if time permits:
The Specials
the Raveonettes
Band of Skulls
Girls

Skip:
Hot Chip

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Double post.

crombrenner
01-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Grizzly Bear and LCD Soundsystem are phenomenal live. Do not miss either of them

summerkid
01-23-2010, 07:14 AM
okay so

Don't Miss
LCD Soundystem
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Dead Weather
Beach House
Phoenix
Thom Yorke????

Worth Seeing
Grizzly Bear
deadmau5
Hot Chip
Devo
2manydjs
The Raveonettes
Spoon
De La Soul
Deerhunter
Matt and Kim
Soft Pack

Skip
Vampire Weekend
MGMT
Benny Benassi

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Oh wait! I forgot I saw Benny Benassi in 07 (??) in the Sahara, and he was actually pretty awesome.

oldfart
01-23-2010, 07:27 AM
I have seen and-
Some bands are better live than a recoding : Dead Weather,Faith No More,Muse
Some bands can go either way depending : De La Soul
Some are better let to listening on your I Pod : Jay-Z,Sly and his fam

wewantmuse
01-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Must see:

Matt & Kim - They smile non-stop while they perform and it's really infectious. Plus, hilarious banter in between songs. There's no way you can have a bad time with these guys.

Muse - obviously.

Dead Weather - legit blues rock, INCREDIBLE musicians. Can't go wrong.

Ra Ra Riot - Put on a great heart-felt show. And they have the hottest cellist I've ever seen.

Vampire Weekend - I don't understand all the hate. Maybe not a must see. They bring their music to the stage - not a whole lot of theatrics - but they have a great sound and if you're even a fan in the least bit, you'll have a good time.

Just okay:

Spoon - Nothing special about the show, but they weren't bad.

lizng
01-23-2010, 01:11 PM
I saw The Avett Brothers and Phoenix at ACL in October and they were both fantastic.

Sia is amazing live.

MGMT was such a disappointment, but I'm going to try again this year and hope to be surprised.

psycobetabuckdown
01-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I had fun at MGMT at a radio festival a couple years ago but the expectations for their show now might make them come off differently. They didn't even play Kids live, they just looped it and had a hipster dance party. But Kids wasn't a hit yet back then. So I'm open to seeing them if the conflicts are reasonable, see how they've changed.

chrisallthetime
01-23-2010, 01:20 PM
This is what my weekend will look like... its the must see IMO

Friday April 16th – Deadmau5
Benny Benassi
Passionpit . LCD Soundsystem
Iglu & Hartly . Them Crooked Vultures
The Cribs . La Roux . Grizzly Bear . Vampire Weekend

Saturday April 17th- Muse . Tiesto
MGMT . Bassnectar . Les Claypool
Coheed and Cambria . The Dead Weather . David Guetta
Band of skulls . The Raveonettes . Kaskade

Sunday April 18th- Gorillaz . Phoenix
Rusko . Spoon . Orbital
Thome Yorke . Matt & Kim . MUTEMATH
Julain Casablancas . Miike Snow . Infected Mushroom

Deadmau5 will by far be the sickest show, i saw him at lollapalooza 2009 and it changed my thinking in music

Stork
01-23-2010, 01:24 PM
would recommend:
lcd soundsystem
deadmau5
grizzly bear
dillinger escape plan
2manydjs
flying lotus
beach house
thom yorke

would not:
vampire weekend
passion pit
hot chip* (seen em 6 times and ever since 'made in the dark' something happened to their shows and music imo)
mgmt
spoon (only because there is bound to be something more awesome going on during them sunday night)

mikec
01-24-2010, 08:12 AM
recommend:
Devo
Dillinger Escape Plan
King Khan and the Shrines

pass:
raveonettes
Julian casablancas

miraj
01-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Do not miss:

2ManyDJs
Phoenix
Miike Snow
Orbital
Grizzly Bear
Fever Ray
Gorillaz

Skip:

Vampire Weekend
MGMT
Tiesto
Kaskade

miraj
01-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Saturday April 17th- Muse . Tiesto
MGMT . Bassnectar . Les Claypool
Coheed and Cambria . The Dead Weather . David Guetta
Band of skulls . The Raveonettes . Kaskade

Wow. You and I do not have a lot in common.

Derekx
01-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Don't miss:
Thom Yorke, Mew, Fever Ray, Hot Chip

Skip:
Passion Pit

Coachella Bound
01-24-2010, 10:00 AM
the numbers are how id rate the band live, not on a whole......

FRIDAY

Vampire Weekend (6.5): Saw them in 08' @ COACHELLA and didnt enjoy there set what so ever. Saw them again recently in Visalia, and to be honest i did enjoy there set. If nothing was conflicting i might catch them again, as they seem to be getting better.

P.O.S (6.5): caught him this summer at Warp Tour. Good hiphop, part of the Rhymesayers Crew (Atmosphere, Eyedea, Brother Ali). Deffinetly had the crowed going for a punk show.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4300508871_d067488c17_o.jpg

thats honestly the only people ive seen live on friday. If i could make one recomendation it would be Yeasayer. There album "All Hour Cymbals" is one of my top 10 for 09'. Could be who im most looking forward to that day.

SATURDAY

MGMT (6): now this ones tricky. Caught them in 08' @ Street Scene and it was just terrible. However, the stage they performed on was bullshit, and i truely believe they, at the time, were still getting use to the idea of playing w/ a full band. Ive heard the stories of Roo' this past year and w/ "Oracular Spectacular" being one of my favorite albums, i will deffinetly be giving them a second chance. I think a lot of people will be....

DEVO (7.5): what can i say, these old timers still know how to rock. Loved there set @ Street Scene in 08'. Great catalog of classic hits. However now having seen them, if there was infact a conflict, i might go the other way. If you havnt seen them, check out their set.

EDWARD SHARPE AND THE MAGNETIC ZEROS (9): DO NOT!!!! i repeat...... DO NOT MISS THEIR SET!!!!!!! "Up From Below" is my favorite album of 09'. Ive seen them twice now, once at the Abbot Kinney Music Fest in Venice Beach, and again in Santa Barbara @ the SOHO. Both times were just undescribable. Ive seen few artists that have matched that kind of energy and chemistry. I promise you will not be dissapointed.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2653/3962047023_00dddc711b_o.jpg

If i could make one recomendation for an artist that i havnt seen on Saturday, it would have to be the Dead Weather..... i mean c'mon, its Jack White!

SUNDAY

Spoon (7.5): cant really give you any reason why..... good stuff!

Julian Casablancas (8): Just recently had the opportunity to work three of his shows and i have to say i almost dig it more than the Strokes. Great live energy, 2 out of 3 of the shows had some great visuals. Deff worth checking out!

Local Natives (7.5): from good ol' South OC!!! A band ive been following for the last few years and i couldnt be more proud of these hometown kids. They just recently had the opportunity to do some shows w/ Ed Sharpe and Fools Gold, and im almost 100% certin thats why they are playing COACHELLA. Their live performances are just amazing, enough to catch GV's eye.

if i can make a recomendation for Sunday, and the festival on a whole.... DO NOT MISS THE GORILLAZ. It would prob go down as your biggest COACHELLA regret ever. Its so funny how many people ive talked to lately who dont even know what the french is going on w/ the group itself. Saying things like, " isnt it just one guy?" and "who wants to see a bunch of holligrams?" Go get a copy of Demon Days..... and then be prepared for something even better!

ricardo san diego
01-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Friday:
Jay-z, Bennasi, Grizzly Bear, Grace Jones, DJ lance rock, Ra Ra Riot

Saturday:
Muse, Guetta, 2manydjs, Dead Weather, Pretty Lights, Corinne Bailey Rae.

Sunday:
Gorillaz, Thom Yorke, Phoenix, Sly and Family Stone, Gary Numan, Infected Mushroom, Babasonicos

johnnypolite
01-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Would definitely recommend The Avett Brothers. Have seen them 3 times and they were fantastic each time.

kueves87
01-24-2010, 12:53 PM
i would seriously recommend dead weather and muse. saw dead weather at street scene and its going down as one of my top ten shows of all time, plus mosshart is fuckin hot when she's all wet. muse i've seen twice and although there new album is terrible, they put on a ridiculously awesome show, tons of effects and lights and shit. plus, their older stuff like newborn, hysteria, stockholm syndrome, time is running out are fucking awesome to see live.

ADrunkPoet
01-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Recommended:
LCD
Grizzly Bear
Fever Ray
Beach House
Muse (depending on how much they play off of their new shitty record, coupled with who closes the Sahara. They are quite good live.)
Hot Chip (Nothing amazing, but depending on who they conflict with, an entertaining set)

Would not:
Vampire Weekend
Deadmau5
Muse (If they play a ton from that new record)
Vampire Weekend
MGMT
Vampire Weekend
Major Lazer (anything with Diplo should be avoided like the plague *air horn*)
Vampire Weekend

EverGreen407
01-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Friday: Them Crooked Vultures, The Specials, La Roux, Hockey, Ceu, Benny Benassi

Saturday: 2 Many DJ's, Hot Chip, Tokyo Police Club, MGMT, Corinne Bailey Rae, Gossip

Sunday: Gorillaz, Thom Yorke, King Khan & the Shrines, Club 75, Phoenix, Pavement, Miike Snow

chrisallthetime
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Wow. You and I do not have a lot in common.

Ya I know I was really worried about it

fiopadp7791
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Don't miss Sia. She blew me away in '08 (and I'm not a big fan of hers, she's seriously amazing live)!

When I saw Passion Pit in MPLS, I was quite entertained, so I'm surprised at all the hate. Maybe it's just a matter of catching them on the right night or something?

ameoba
01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
i would highly recommend erol alkan, the xx's album was really good, but don't expect anything amazing live and obviously club 75 should be ridiculously good.
I was also looking forward to passion pit, I am still going to go see them but perhaps lower my expectations in advance

oyeloca
01-24-2010, 10:29 PM
calle 13 =]

Pixiessp
01-24-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm gonna hop in here and give my love to Sia as a live act.

She truly was tremendous in 2008. I hadn't planned on catching her set.
My friend James and I just had some spare time and decided to camp out there for a spell. WE COULD NOT tear ourselves away.

She is such a sweetheart and that voice. Wow!!! If it hadn't been for Portishead, Sia would have been my highlight that year.
A very welcome surprise.

ELECtROjan
01-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Friday:
To See:Fever Ray, LCD Soundsystems, PROXY
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1E9HfdzDnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1E9HfdzDnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DeSSAvLJ7xg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DeSSAvLJ7xg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
the audio sucks. but u get the picture
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXROtaai02U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXROtaai02U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Passing on: deadmau5, Benny Benassi

Saturday:
To See: 2ManyDJ's, Ztrip, CrazE & Klever
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2gqkAls5dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2gqkAls5dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DFEfkKMqWE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DFEfkKMqWE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5F7q-Q3TjOo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5F7q-Q3TjOo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Passing on: Tiesto, Guetta, Major Lazer - seriously... all three of these suck balls

Sunday:
To See: ORBITAL, Gorillaz, Club75
First show in CA in 8 years and potentially their last ever. dont miss it
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-gd-QkRA8Ik&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-gd-QkRA8Ik&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5TZssQQvPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5TZssQQvPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hard to get videos bc they only tagteamed once... but its the two guys from Cassius, Xavier (The talented one in Justice) Busy P, and Mehdi. U cant go wrong
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zJYG1lSWCms&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zJYG1lSWCms&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Passing on: ?

choprite
01-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Dirty Projectors - goddamn those girls can sing
2manydjs - awesome A/V mashup

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Bands I have seen that are amazing or at least totally worth seeing (if you like their music):

Fever Ray
Dillinger Escape Plan
Sunny Day Real Estate
Baroness
Frank Turner

alex gardner
01-25-2010, 01:23 AM
de la soul.

i've seen countless hip hop shows, and 85% of the time, live hip-hop is a bland experience. de la soul live is exceptional. unique crowd interaction, not the same, tired, "when i say ____, you say ____". wide range of songs, just an overall tight performance. i highly recommend seeing their set.

Norwalkguy
01-25-2010, 01:28 AM
im telling you guys...GRACE JONES...every song is a diffrent costume..her band is amazing super talented and its funky as hell..most of her classics were produced by Sly and Robbie so really guys youll be missing out..

and fever ray of course...actually have considered missing LCD if they overlap..im sure LCD will come back to LA soon...fever ray..not so sure..

C Levis
01-25-2010, 06:12 AM
de la soul.

i've seen countless hip hop shows, and 85% of the time, live hip-hop is a bland experience. de la soul live is exceptional. unique crowd interaction, not the same, tired, "when i say ____, you say ____". wide range of songs, just an overall tight performance. i highly recommend seeing their set.

I saw De La Soul at Rock the Bells last year and was very disappointed. They basically shit on their biggest hit "Me, Myself, and I" while performing it...and the entire set it seemed like they were trying hard to come off as gangster...which just isn't them. Once considered themselves the "Hippies of Hip-Hop" and the "Daisy Age", they are far from it today.

tral!
01-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Owen fucking Pallet. I saw him open for the Mountain Goats in November and he blew me away.

TomServo
01-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Concur with the others who give a "Don't Miss" to The Dead Weather. Jack White is a beast onstage - he'll be remembered long after many of these musicians are teaching community college classes and guitar lessons in Boise.

Dude could make the National Anthem interesting.

TomServo
01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Dude could make the National Anthem interesting.

I just realized I gave Thom Yorke an unintentional "can't miss" with this comment.

laineinla
01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Do NOT skip live:
Fever Ray
Passion Pit
Muse
The Dead Weather
FlyLo
Thom Yorke???? (yes I was lucky enough to catch their show last fall in LA)
King Khan & the Shrines
THE GLITCH MOB

You won't regret skipping:
Vampire Weekend
MGMT
Camera Obscura (well, I may actually go see them again, for some nap/downtime)
White Rabbits
Beach House

Have seen, feel neutral about their performances, but still likely I'll check them out at Coachella :
Deadmau5 (I wanna know what this new light show's all about though)
Grizzly Bear
Echo & the Bunnymen
Kaskade
Phoenix
Spoon
Tokyo Police Club
Little Boots

zeg0ggles
01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Grizzly Bear is pretty immaculate live. Baroness has also proved to be on of the better live bands I've seen, they really work for it. Les Claypool puts on a very fun show as well. As well, Infected apparently really knows how to get the crowd going.

fredo
01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Check out the CALLE 13 performence. it will be a complete party. one to remember. and JAY Z will be simply AMAZING!!!!!!

Courtney
01-25-2010, 10:40 AM
If I had to pick just a couple, I would say that Matt & Kim and King Khan and the Shrines would both be at the top of my list for must-sees. In both cases, their stage performance takes the music beyond just what you hear on the album, and their energy is infectious.

Frightened Rabbit, LCD Soundsystem and Dirty Projectors are definitely worth seeing if you can.

Last time I saw Vampire Weekend, it was pretty disappointing. And although I'm a huge fan, I have to say that Yo La Tengo doesn't always put on the best show unless you're already really into their music.

lickety_spit
01-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Sia had one of the best performances I had ever seen at Coachella, and I wasn't even familiar with her music. I'm still not, but I'm going to watch her again.

As for acts to skip, take those suggestions with a grain of salt.

chicagobare58
01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I saw Fever Ray in Chicago a couple months ago. Incredible show and great laser show. She performs all of the new album and a couple cover songs, NO Knife songs. A must see!

bluemamba
01-25-2010, 05:46 PM
calle 13 =]

Gracias pero no gracias. Prefiero a Cafe Tacvba o La Oreja De Van Gouh.

DanaCarly
01-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Passion Pit puts on a good live show. Saw them w. Phoenix, who were also good live. the XX is dull- they stand there and play their songs w/o much affect, but if you love their songs they're still worth seeing. Sly and the family stone...?... seems too good to miss but watching recent clips online, they don't really bring it. I saw major lazer live a few months back and they put on a sickkk show- real nasty dancing. very theatrical and fun.

LADude
02-16-2010, 07:36 PM
The only two from this years lineup that I've seen live are Porcupine Tree and Muse, and I'd say both are unmissable. And both are WAY more interesting live than in the studio, especially Muse.

Friends of mine just saw Them Crooked Vultures in Sydney and said they were amazing.

boarderwoozel3
02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Radiohead are pretty solid live.

oddlyenough
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Must see: Muse, Grizzly Bear, Benny Benassi

Skip: MGMT

Alchemist559
02-16-2010, 11:08 PM
deadmau5 is pretty fucking good live, and If Flea is half as good with Thom Yorke live as he is with the Chili Peppers then you have to see him live, that guy is ridiculous on the bass.

ozmusic
02-17-2010, 02:31 AM
THE TEMPER TRAP - Deserve to be much higher on the lineup then what they are check out for yourself?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUOOdYLTVU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JprY8vauhWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPS-XcFkQBI

The presets were alot of peoples highlight from 09, i can say these guys will be for a few too!!!!

1000birds
02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
friday
must see:

* fever ray
* la roux
* wolfgang gartner
* dj lance rock
* erol alkan
* passion pit

if no conflicts:

* jay-z
* vampire weekend
* whitest boy alive
* them crooked vultures
* she & him

saturday
must see:

* muse
* hot chip
* 2manydjs
* camera obscura
* mew
* the xx
* the temper trap
* major lazer
* frightened rabbits

if no conflicts:

* white rabbits
* beach house
* steel train
* the raveonettes
* tokyo police club

sunday
must see:

* thom yorke
* miike snow
* gorillaz
* sunny day real estate
* julian casablancas
* orbital

if no conflicts:

* phoenix
* pavement
* yo la tengo
* matt & kim
* little boots
* spoon
* infected mushroom
* b.o.b.

SEEDYMIG420
02-17-2010, 07:22 PM
My must sees are; Echo & the Bunnymen, Orbital, P.I.L, The Specials, Faith No More, Thom Yorke????, Gary Numan, Gorillaz, Devo.

kneuller
02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I saw Fever Ray in Chicago a couple months ago. Incredible show and great laser show. She performs all of the new album and a couple cover songs, NO Knife songs. A must see!

thats weird that she would cover the fairly obscure post-hardcore band no knife.

cant miss:

Grizzly Bear
Phoenix
Sunny Day Real Estate
Pretty Lights

Deer Tick (great in a small venue and really amusing guys...not sure how it will translate in a festival setting though)

Cant Wait to see:

Deadmau5
LCD Soundsystem
Vampire Weekend (I dont care if theyre hated on up and down...I love their songs)

Lt. Bowie
02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
You will sincerely regret missing Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I've seen them before and I'll be seeing him again before Coach. An absolute cannot miss.

Professor Null
02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
95QS3c_Tei4

karma_guy
02-17-2010, 09:08 PM
don't miss
grizzly bear

Captain Ahab
02-18-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't know what everyone's problem is with Vampire Weekend. I saw them two years ago and they put on a really fun energetic show.

Loves to Spooge
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Don't miss Dillinger Escape Plan. They will be THE face melter this year. Count on that. Their live shows are fucking insane. Plus you never know if we'll get an appearance from Mike Patton or Trent Reznor. I saw them at FYF last fall and they killed it. One of the guys from Mastodon came out and performed with them. It was fucking awesome.

Pablo Hassan was one of the DJ's for the campers on Thursday night last year and he was really good. He'll probably be on early so check him out if you get the chance.

Coheed and Cambria is definitely a must see for me. Some people can't stand them or the singers voice, but I fucking love the shit out of it. They got Dillinger Escape Plans old drummer and he is amazing. The band is pretty amazing too. My only complaint is that Claudio doesn't sing as perfectly as I would like to hear it. He lets the crowd sing a lot, and while lots of people like that kind of thing, I personally would rather hear him sing. But they are still a lot of fun and I will be there for sure.

RX Bandits are really awesome. I've seen them like 3 or 4 times now. Last time they opened for Glassjaw and they were incredible. If you can only catch half a set then I recommend the 1st half because at that show they opened up with all the members playing drums and having a kick ass drum intro that started their set. I would imagine they would do something like that again, and you won't want to miss it. But who knows when they would do it in the set? Could be at the start or somewhere in the middle probably.

Mew is really good. Saw them open for NIN at one of their final shows in LA. Don't have much to say about them though. I didn't know who they were back then and now I gotta listen to them some more. But they were good.

Craze is fucking awesome. One of my favorite DJ's to watch. I have no idea what he'll be spinning with Klever though. Hopefully he'll drop some DnB. But his turntablism skills are out of this world. They'll be early too. Don't miss it!

Miike Snow is pretty awesome as well. Saw them at Lollapalooza last year and they were great! Only recently started listening to them, but I will definitely be checking them out again.

Rusko is fucking badass. Saw him at Nocturnal last year and he had an amazing set. Some sick dubstep. I would definitely recommend checking him out.

ghettosteez
02-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Do NOT skip live:
Fever Ray
Passion Pit
Muse
The Dead Weather
FlyLo
Thom Yorke???? (yes I was lucky enough to catch their show last fall in LA)
King Khan & the Shrines
THE GLITCH MOB

You won't regret skipping:
Vampire Weekend
MGMT
Camera Obscura (well, I may actually go see them again, for some nap/downtime)
White Rabbits
Beach House

Have seen, feel neutral about their performances, but still likely I'll check them out at Coachella :
Deadmau5 (I wanna know what this new light show's all about though)
Grizzly Bear
Echo & the Bunnymen
Kaskade
Phoenix
Spoon
Tokyo Police Club
Little Boots

WHAT THE FUCK? Have you even seen White Rabbits live? They play with some of the most passion I've ever seen.

lazers7
02-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I think there needs to be a little more clarity here. Just because bands like the xx don't jump up and down, doesn't mean you should miss their show if you like them. So, I'll separate this into 3 categories; 1)if you don't know their music you'll still have a good time; 2) if you like how they sound on their album, or you love dancing to techno, you'll like their show; 3)not gonna kill urself to see someone else

1)
Muse( saw at vegoose in 07, didn't know too much of their music, and it was sick regardless, plus they've amped up their stage show
Hot chip- seen twice, great show both times
hockey- seen twice, most recently about a month ago, great live dance music, singer puts on a good show
Deadmau5- caught him at coachella 08 during the daytime sober, was pretty fuckin awesome them, must be good at night with lights on drugs
z-trip- seen him 4 times, fun show, a sick dj who plays good tunes
Les Claypool- this guy is ridiculous on bass and just plays his own sick instruments, i'd recommend some sort of drug intake before but a fun time regardless
Pretty lights- saw a few months ago with a bunch of people who didn't know him on a tuesday night and everyone had a great time
Phoenix- played a great show when I saw them, got the crowd involved, lots of jumping, sound even better than their album
White Rabbits- puts on a great show, great musicians
mutemath- seen them twice awhile ago, still don't really know their songs but had a great time both times i saw them live, very energetic
tiesto- not a huge fan of his album stuff but puts on a pretty great live show

2)
Bassnectar- good for about 15-20 minutes, lots of energy, but sounds repetitive after awhile, but if your in the right mood could keep you interested
Infected Mushroom- same as Bassnectar, good time, sounds similar after a bit
Spoon- one of my favorite bands of all time, puts on a great show, but not very energetic so if you don't know them real well you may become disinterested
the xx- sound exactly like their album, so don't expect too much energy or stage presence
ra ra riot- a really like them and enjoyed their show but they aren't going to draw you in if you don't know their music
passion pit- had a great time when i saw them but lots of my friends have seen them and did not enjoy so i'm not going to say they are great for everyone but could be fun
Vampire weekend- sound exactly like their album as well, seen them multiple times

3) MGMT- Not a good show. They were not a band, they were 2 guys who recorded a bunch of good songs, then had a record company form a live band around them so they could play in front of people. They have zero stage presence, and you could probably put on headphones with oracular spectacular blasting and have as good of a time

hope this was all helpful

Gaintysaurus
02-19-2010, 05:11 AM
I really like the idea of this thread. That being said, bear in mind that these opinions represent individual taste.

As far as bands that I've seen live before and HIGHLY reccomend:

Tiesto - there's a reason he's the highest salaried DJ in the world and his '08 Coachella performance on the main stage was legendary for me, considering I was so close I could have spit on the man
MGMT - their '09 Bonnaroo performance was mind-numbing, just try to ignore the tweenage hipsters trying to mob the stage
Les Claypool - DISCLAIMER: this musician's shows are not for the faint of heart. that being said, his Gathering of the Vibes performance in '08 was incredible, complete with the pig mask, bass-jo (banjo/bass combo) and whamola (one string bass with a single tuning nob) and a slew of Of Whales & Woe songs. one of the best psychedelic acts alive

Bands that I have never had the chance to but simply cannot wait to see:
LCD Soundsystem (Sounds of Silver has me hooked)
deadmau5 (can't wait to see this new light show)
She & Him (soft spot for M. Ward's vocals)
Them Crooked Vultures (fuck Dave Grohl but c'mon, it's John Paul Jones)
Muse (the exact opposite of the Killer's epic fail last year)
The Dead Weather (it's Jack White. duh)
2ManyDj's (come highly recommended from friends)
Bassnectar (philanthropic drum-n-bass? hell yea)
Gorillaz (loved them since I was 12, been waiting 10 years for this opportunity)
Pavement (*heart stop*)
Thom Yorke ???? (praying the four ? marks are Ed, Johnny, Phil and Colin)
Phoenix (Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix was one of my favorite albums of last year)
Orbital (If you like electronic music and don't go see these guys, you deserve a Fail-stamp)
Infected Mushroom (my brand of electronica)

That's just my thoughts. See you all in April!

Coachella Alum ('07 - '10)

brematale111
02-19-2010, 07:51 AM
flying lotus, FNM, The Specials

dawnbecameamuse
02-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Vampire Weekend fucking sucks, Seen Grizzly Bear 4 Times and can't wait to see 'em a 5th, Deadmau5 kills it, Hot Chip are super fun but ima pass this time, Benny Benassi was a crazy dance party but he was just on a laptop cheatin', Dillinger Escape Plan are ridiculous live (The drummer's a jazz theory professor), MGMT's hits are terrible live but the other songs kind of shine through, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zero's won me over entirely at Treasure Island, Tokyo Police Club are so fun, Deerhunter are insanely talented, Matt & Kim blow, and Owen Pallett's a musical genius.

andersunnO)))
02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
dillinger.

WhyTheLongFace
02-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Do NOT miss
Jay-Z
Fever Ray
2ManyDJs

starrdogg
02-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Don't Miss
LCD Soundsystem
Grizzly Bear (seen them twice, first time was at Coachella 2007, merely an okay show, then I was blown away seeing them last summer)
The Avett Brothers (so much energy)
Hot Chip
Mew
Frightened Rabbit (also incredibly energetic)
King Khan and the Shrines (craziness)
Jonsi (based on the magic of seeing Sigur Ros)

Not for Everyone, but if You Like Their Music, Check Out:
Spoon (pretty straightforward)
Yo La Tengo
Vampire Weekend (while their 2008 Coachella performance was sub-par, the other time I saw them they were fantastic)
Phoenix
Passion Pit (some people haven't been impressed by them live, but I actually really enjoyed the show I saw)
2ManyDJ's
Dirty Projectors (they do some incredible live vocal harmony stuff)
The xx (really low key, may not translate well into a festival situation)
The Raveonettes (better than they are on record)
Camera Obscura
De La Soul (granted I saw them almost 10 years ago)
Owen Pallett (interesting one-man-band kinda thing)

Feel Free to Skip:
MGMT (incredibly boring at Coachella '08)
Girls (really phoned in the performance I saw, put the audience to sleep)

pachucasunrise
02-20-2010, 09:15 PM
The Dillinger Escape Plan is gonna fuck everyone in the ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQkSiDggqQ0

brando4n82
02-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I noticed no one really mentioned Yeasayer, but I think thats because everyones waiting to see them.. :)

They put on a really good show at NHM. Great energy.

Oh yeah, and LCD I am really excited to see what they do, and see how groovy the new material is

thedmo
02-20-2010, 11:38 PM
My Coachooza:

Friday

Gil Scott-Heron
Grizzly Bear
Jay-Z
PIL (6/20/86 Chicago)
She & Him

Saturday

Camera Obscura
Corrine Bailey Ray
Devo
Edward Sharpe
Hot Chip
Les Claypool (w Primus & on Workshop Stage, 3 stops H.O.R.D.E. 97)
MGMT
SIA (4/23/2002 w Beck)
The Dead Weather (Pomona 8/27/2009)
Shooter Jennings
and maybe John Waters

Sunday

Charlotte Gainsbourg
De La Soul
Gorillaz
Pavement
Sly (I know, but I'm a take that chance)
Thom Yorke
and others

thejake
02-21-2010, 07:17 AM
I have seen Coheed & Cambria twice (once backstage) and I have to say that they put on a really good show, even when they are in between drummers lol. They really get in to the show, especially Claudio aka the guy with "the hair"...unless he got it cut since i have seen them last (lead vocals/guitar). Anyways, if you are up for a pretty good rockin' show, check them out for sure!