PDA

View Full Version : Won't sell out unless

rokky
01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
They add like a Mcartney or a rage type name. It's a great lineup, but unfortunately no ringer---yet.

TallGuyCM
01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Well I'm glad you pointed this out.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Riviting tale chap

boarderwoozel3
01-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Ahhh, you see, rokky, it has more of a chance to sellout than the past few years and this is why: Jay-Z, Muse and Gorillaz. Jay-Z and Muse each have massive mainstream crossover appeal and Gorillaz gain the interest of the more discerning music fan. Combined with a loaded second to fourth line, a slew of gems in the small print and you've got a recipe for a sell out.

Winterwooskiee
01-22-2010, 11:49 PM
if anything, i think this year's lineup has potential to sell out all 3 days as well. usually 1 or 2 days sell out, but i really think all 3 days will sell out this time around. which reminds me, i should get my tickets soon.

and please, no more rage. get over it.

kuuguy
01-22-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm giving it to the end of Feb max before it sells out.

tessalasset
01-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Radiohead didn't sell out til a couple weeks before the fest.

gaypalmsprings
01-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I hadn't thought of this, Rokky. Thanks.

M Sparks
01-23-2010, 08:42 AM
if anything, i think this year's lineup has potential to sell out all 3 days as well. usually 1 or 2 days sell out, but i really think all 3 days will sell out this time around.

Well, it's kind of all or none at this point, isn't it?

Cdubby
01-23-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm giving it to the end of Feb max before it sells out.

Would you like to bet? I bet I can purchase a full three day pass sometime around the end of March no problem. And I fully intend to do this.

freshness
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I have been to coachella the past three years in a row. But sorry ladies and gentlemen, this coachella lineup is one of the worst i have seen yet. Daft punk, cillis 07 awesome! Justice, prince, pink floyd, amazing 08, steve aoki, beetroots, mstrkrft the sh##. But this year isn't looking promising at all. i am a huge fan of jay-z and own everyone of his cd's. But he's not for coachella!! This year wont sell out. personally, i think i'll only be going sunday if even that.

summerkid
01-23-2010, 09:15 AM
the fact that you praise steve aoki, beetroots and mstrkrft explains everything.

you do realize that justice is going to be there right? they are on the poster if you know where to look.

freshness
01-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I realize that xavier of justice will be there. That doesn't equal Justice. Thats one part. Yes, i would be looking forward to club 75 hence my statement of possibly going Sunday. However, my point is that this years lineup is not good at all. it has more of a mainstream feel this year. which coachella shouldn't be.

FoxeyLady
01-23-2010, 09:36 AM
People really hate bands just because a lot of other people like them? This is silly to me.

hendrixfan143
01-23-2010, 09:41 AM
how is this lineup at all maainstream. the top is, but the average radio listener would probably only know about 8 of those artists if the lineup was read to them

FoxeyLady
01-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah the top of the lineup kind of has to be mainstream, that's how tickets are sold.

seyrnon
01-23-2010, 09:45 AM
I have been to coachella the past three years in a row. But sorry ladies and gentlemen, this coachella lineup is one of the worst i have seen yet. Daft punk, cillis 07 awesome! Justice, prince, pink floyd, amazing 08, steve aoki, beetroots, mstrkrft the sh##. But this year isn't looking promising at all. i am a huge fan of jay-z and own everyone of his cd's. But he's not for coachella!! This year wont sell out. personally, i think i'll only be going sunday if even that.

roger waters does not equal pink floyd man

microcuts
01-23-2010, 09:48 AM
this coachella lineup is one of the worst i have seen yet. Daft punk, cillis 07 awesome!

Daft punk were in 06. Try again.

obzen
01-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Beat me to it.

Nice avatar, Megaman 2?

oftheheartofthesoul
01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Should we point out that it is impossible to buy single day tickets this year? One day will not sell out more than the other.

Monklish
01-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Ahhh, you see, rokky, it has more of a chance to sellout than the past few years and this is why: Jay-Z, Muse and Gorillaz. Jay-Z and Muse each have massive mainstream crossover appeal and Gorillaz gain the interest of the more discerning music fan. Combined with a loaded second to fourth line, a slew of gems in the small print and you've got a recipe for a sell out.

I like how you act like you really know anything about the marketplace. MASSIVE mainstream crossover appeal. Such an asshole.

greenbored
01-23-2010, 10:08 AM
who cares if it sells out...i got my three day pass

freshness
01-23-2010, 10:17 AM
This coachella officially sucks. 3 day pass for people i don't want to see is absurd. another factor this year is the economy. they leave us with no choice other than to purchase 3 day passes. Thats expensive and not worth it. worst coachella ive seen in years. its downhill form here. hopefully with the surplus of tickets this year they will get the picture. Keep coachella the way its meant to be. Not just to turn a profit but for the true music enthusiast.

oftheheartofthesoul
01-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Is it just me or is this year more of a lurker orgy than before?

freshness
01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
its just you.

FoxeyLady
01-23-2010, 10:28 AM
This coachella officially sucks. 3 day pass for people i don't want to see is absurd. another factor this year is the economy. they leave us with no choice other than to purchase 3 day passes. Thats expensive and not worth it. worst coachella ive seen in years. its downhill form here. hopefully with the surplus of tickets this year they will get the picture. Keep coachella the way its meant to be. Not just to turn a profit but for the true music enthusiast.

Last year they expected a drop in sales because of the economy (according to LA Times) and they were happily surprised by the 160,000 attendees that showed up. I think this year they realized that Coachella still does well in a poor economic climate and have decided to try and sell 3 day passes only. Keep in mind they never said that single days aren't going on sale. They said that if 3 days don't sell out, they will sell single days at the gate. However if you don't like the lineup (you are in the minority) then just don't go.

Edit: Also, you are saying that with 3 day passes only they just trying to turn a profit, yet you think there will be a large surplus of tickets???

CellarOwl
01-23-2010, 10:35 AM

No, they just want to keep assholes like you out. It looks like it's going to work by the reaction.

beavington
01-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Is it just me or is this year more of a lurker orgy than before?

only the lurkers seem to be upset.

freshness
01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
good point. however last year the lineup was better. and this year i still havent ruled out sunday. after conducting my own personal survey i found that alot of my associates wont be attending. i guess if you want to go simply for the atmosphere thats fine but the lineup has definitely been greater in the past and needs improvement this year. yes the turnout was good last year but the economy was also better. its sad when a resident of CA doesn't want to go to coachella. that has to tell you something. im about an hour away in sunny san diego but right now the drive isnt worth it.

CellarOwl
01-23-2010, 10:39 AM
good point. however last year the lineup was better. and this year i still havent ruled out sunday. after conducting my own personal survey i found that alot of my associates wont be attending. i guess if you want to go simply for the atmosphere thats fine but the lineup has definitely been greater in the past and needs improvement this year. yes the turnout was good last year but the economy was also better. its sad when a resident of CA doesn't want to go to coachella. that has to tell you something. im about an hour away in sunny san diego but right now the drive isnt worth it.

Your associates? What the fuck are you, a junior partner at a gay bath house?

freshness
01-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Sorry ventura and toronto. i guess there's nothing to do where you live and were looking forward to traveling down for your yearly piece of excitement.

summerkid
01-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Freshness maybe you should try listening to some of the acts on the bill. Based on what you have liked in the past may i suggest

Wolfgang Gartner

bt4H7S0Yc_0

Aeroplane

PSZtqJGPeTE&feature=related

are just some examples of artists you may be overlooking.

freshness
01-23-2010, 10:44 AM
please list your shows. i will do the same. yes actually, i am a cellar owl junior partner at a gay bath house.

obzen
01-23-2010, 10:45 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

obzen
01-23-2010, 10:47 AM
At you, not with you.

freshness
01-23-2010, 10:49 AM
ouch!!

freshness
01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
like i said there are some good act and i actually have seen wolfgang at local voyeur downtown sd! and sebastien is a legend. no doubt.

yeahi'llgo
01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Your associates? What the fuck are you, a junior partner at a gay bath house?

Witty and biting.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 11:32 AM
I like how you act like you really know anything about the marketplace. MASSIVE mainstream crossover appeal. Such an asshole.

Oh no? Jay Z and Muse aren't widely embraced by mainstream music outlets? Logic, motherfucker. Use it.

Monklish
01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Name a fucking headliner that hasn't been embraced by mainstream media outlets, you dipshit. That's more or less the definition of a headliner.

Bud Luster
01-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Despite the popularity of Muse, I don't think I would call them mainstream.

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 11:41 AM
My kids (7 and 9) played a name-that-tune game at their school a couple months ago. The songs the teachers used that my kids knew were by Muse and The Beatles. That kinda proves Muse's mainstreamishness in my book.

freshness
01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Name a fucking headliner that hasn't been embraced by mainstream media outlets, you dipshit. That's more or less the definition of a headliner.

Monklish. theres a lot of people on the lineup that haven't been embraced by the mainstream. go back to your perez hilton blogging with that fedora. you look like and sound like an obese poet with nothing to loose.

Monklish
01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Regardless, the point is that Jay-Z and Muse being however mainstream they are in no way makes this Coachella any more likely to sell out because previous years' headliners have been just as mainstream.

Bud Luster
01-23-2010, 11:43 AM
My kids (7 and 9) played a name-that-tune game at their school a couple months ago. The songs the teachers used that my kids knew were by Muse and The Beatles. That kinda proves Muse's mainstreamishness in my book.

Wow, what Muse songs would a teacher expect kids to know? Ask the first person you see on the street today if they know Muse and can name or sing a song. Then ask them the same thing about Jay-Z.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Bjork, Waters, Prince... none are getting regular play on the big radio or TV stations.

Muse is getting spun and on all the big corporate radio stations, MTV, etc. And Jay-Z... yeah.

All I'm saying is that the casual music fan knows about Jay-Z and Muse. And given the popularity of hip-hop and Muse-esque grand arena-rock, that's going to push a lot of tickets.

Monklish
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM
... your argument is seriously that Pink Floyd and Prince aren't as popular in the mainstream as Muse?

See, this is why I'm fucking annoyed.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 11:48 AM
2008 had a noticeably smaller crowds than 09 or 07. Take that as you will.

Monklish
01-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Despite the incredible mainstream popularity of Jack Johnson.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
How many soccer moms did you see?

Monklish
01-23-2010, 11:51 AM
This is why the term "mainstream" is not appropriate. "Mainstream" doesn't really mean anything. Coldplay is mainstream. 2005 did not sell out. The Killers and Paul McCartney are mainstream. 2009 did not sell out. You are in no way an educated judge of what will or will not sell out a festival.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Bullshit. Of course I've never claimed to be a formally educated judge but can, and did, make an educated guess. And to say mainstream doesn't matter is simply retarded.

But seeing as this arguably the most mainstream headliner trio to date, we'll see.

Monklish
01-23-2010, 12:10 PM
You're not even remotely educated, let alone formally educated.

Your rationale for why this would sell out is specious. Look at the previous years that have sold out. 2007 had only one genuinely mainstream headliner--RHCP. In 2004 Radiohead, The Cure, and Pixies likely had some doing in selling it out. None of them are particularly mainstream.

Mainstream does not sell shit out. What sells shit out is having a highly desirable act with a fiercely loyal population of fans who will clamor to see them. Highly exposed acts like Jay-Z and Muse--one of them on the second leg of a worldwide tour and the other at the end of a nationwide arena tour--are incredibly unlikely to cause a sell out. If anything, Gorillaz is much more likely to do it even though they are not particularly mainstream or excessively popular.

Thank you for failing to play the game.

mickflyy
01-23-2010, 12:12 PM
but what about grace jones guys ... i think we are all forgetting grace jones (awaiting witty comment about how an idiot and the such lol)

Ajaxe
01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
ah well if it doesnt sell out thats less people I have to fight to get a good spot to see some awesome bands.

sleepybrew
01-23-2010, 12:23 PM
for once, i agree with monk. fiercely loyal followings combined with rare acts sell out a show. additionally, consider coachella has grown in popularity since '04. moreover, in the tough economic times, concert goers may see the opportunity to see 130+ bands for $300 a deal.

more importantly! -> does anyone have a line on how well the fest is selling and if selling tix out is a possibility? I have some friends attending who are saving money and will purchase their tickets in a month or so (despite the layaway option).

also, i like the business concept of 3 day passes only but it screws some people. example, my friend loves coachella and want to attend all 3 days like in years past, but he's in med school and has 3 finals on the 16th, so he's out the $80 or whatever

hendrixfan143
01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Despite the popularity of Muse, I don't think I would call them mainstream.

I hear muse getting played at practically every hockey game i go to.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
An educated guess is all. If you want to get all excited about, so be it.

We'll see soon enough.

Monklish
01-23-2010, 12:31 PM
It's not educated. Stop saying that.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Educated.

Bud Luster
01-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I hear muse getting played at practically every hockey game i go to.

Wow, hockey must be boring as shit then.

FoxeyLady
01-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Muse are definitely a mainstream rock act. They get played on nonstop on Kroq and every other modern rock radio station in the country. There is also a reason they are saturday's headliner though, it's the easiest day to sell.

beavington
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Sorry ventura and toronto. i guess there's nothing to do where you live and were looking forward to traveling down for your yearly piece of excitement.

i take it the ventura comment was directed towards me. and yes there aint shit going on here but that doesnt automatically mean i will go to just anything.

Maybe you are just more financially unfortunate than me, sorry you are bitter.

CiderMouseRules
01-23-2010, 12:42 PM
You're not even remotely educated, let alone formally educated.

Your rationale for why this would sell out is specious. Look at the previous years that have sold out. 2007 had only one genuinely mainstream headliner--RHCP. In 2004 Radiohead, The Cure, and Pixies likely had some doing in selling it out. None of them are particularly mainstream.

Uh, 2007 had the RATM reunion and The Cure and Radiohead are definitely mainstream.

Monklish
01-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Uh, 2007 had the RATM reunion and The Cure and Radiohead are definitely mainstream.

No shit, 2007 was the Rage reunion? Seriously? I had no idea.

None of the three of those are mainstream acts.

CALRIZIAN
01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Jay-Z may be hugely popular but like somebody mentioned earlier he has been touring non stop and played multiple big LA shows in the past months.

He's also playing the Staples Center in March which is insanely surprising since Coachella usually restricts their artists from playing shows withing a few hundred miles of Coachella the months leading up to and Following the festival

The thing I don't understand about all this sell out talk is

DON'T THEY SELL TICKETS AT THE DOOR regardless?

Cdubby
01-23-2010, 12:55 PM
this shit is not selling out

Cdubby
01-23-2010, 12:55 PM
I enjoy this lineup immensely, btw.

sacleonard
01-23-2010, 02:05 PM

It only proves that your kids can recognize songs by The Beatles and Muse. My daughter is four and can sing choruses to "Dominos" by The Big Pink and "The Beat That My Heart Skipped" by dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip, but it has nothing to do with the "mainstreamishness" of which you speak.

Also, I agree 100% with Randy on this thread. It's about highly desirable acts with strong followings. Prince and JJ are arguably two of the more mainstream headliners... Prince sold out b/c he was in high demand and has a strong fan-base, while the field not nearly as packed for JJ only one night prior.

HandBanana
01-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Oddly this is the first Coachella I can remember where I didnt stress over additions to the lineup.

Im actually pretty much more than satisfied with everything on the table now.

bmellow
01-23-2010, 03:58 PM

They always sell 3 day tickets before individual tickets. Individual days will go on sale soon. When the three day sales slow down the single days will go on sale.

sacleonard
01-23-2010, 06:20 PM
They always sell 3 day tickets before individual tickets. Individual days will go on sale soon. When the three day sales slow down the single days will go on sale.

That didn't happen in 2007: RATM reunion sold everything out. That didn't happen in 2008: single day tickets were on sale for less than a week. I didn't pay attention to what happened in 2009.

But I wouldn't get your hopes up for single day passes to become available.

roberto73
01-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Monklish. theres a lot of people on the lineup that haven't been embraced by the mainstream. go back to your perez hilton blogging with that fedora. you look like and sound like an obese poet with nothing to loose.

Somehow this gem got lost in the argument about what constitutes mainstream acceptance. Randy, that avatar is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Mau5 Boyz
01-24-2010, 11:17 AM
No sellz outz thiz yearz! lowezt attendance everz predictedz!

JebusLives
01-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Annecdotally, I know a LOT of people very excited about Coachella 2010 and planning to go. It is an expensive trip from here. Last year there was no buzz and I ended up going by myself. You don't need "mainstream" (Top 40?) appeal to sell out Coachella.

thedevious
01-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I would wager that most of the new posters aren't lurkers. They prolly troll accounts opened by some 3000+ post members to satisfy their strange needs and whims.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that 80% of the posts are pure samefaggotry.

ricardo san diego
01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
in my high school, EVERYBODY is saying they want to go to this years coachella because of how many main stream electro people are going. Jay-z and david guetta are enough for people my age to go all 3 days to coachella. I bet you that saturday will have the youngest crowd ever at coachella.

Clifford
01-24-2010, 04:28 PM
only the lurkers seem to be upset.

damn right

JebusLives
01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
in my high school, EVERYBODY is saying they want to go to this years coachella because of how many main stream electro people are going.

You're being a snob.

Jay-z and david guetta are enough for people my age to go all 3 days to coachella. I bet you that saturday will have the youngest crowd ever at coachella.

Good! Fresh teens for us old guys to gawk at.

gmoneyak
01-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Don't forget about this shitbag;

http://www.rtvchannel.tv/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/TiestoTiesto.jpg

margotnuclear
01-24-2010, 07:43 PM
what dumbass would spend 300 dollars on a three day pass just to go for one day?

boyalien0
01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
They add like a Mcartney or a rage type name. It's a great lineup, but unfortunately no ringer---yet.

Bro you should totally come down to the field. They just announced a new Sunday Headliner...Jeremy Enigk is going to rip your balls off then improv an entire set based on the pain you feel. Emo-TASTIC, kid. Get ready.

im_a_starfish
01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
i think its very good because of the abundance of great smaller bands, just nothing HUUUGE
excpet I love the gorillaz so i would imagine thats great enough for others........no?
i dont know what in, hip and with it anymore -_____-

sonicc
01-24-2010, 10:26 PM
tiesto alone has filled up the LA sports arena with 15,000 people, trust me, i think they got this...mau5 guetta benassi kaskade will double or triple that, guaranteed

psycobetabuckdown
01-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Rage Against the Machine isn't mainstream. I really read those words, didn't I?