PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all the cool indie hipster bands this year?

instinct
01-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Where did they go? It's like Coachella is all Hip-Hop and Big Name Electronica acts this year... I wish it was still like it was in 1999.

SonicBluthe
01-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Wat????? Dirty Projectors more than makes up for the hipster factor.

shermanoaksyo
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM
No Neon Indian, No Washed Out, etc

MaXiMuS501
01-22-2010, 05:13 PM
and if you need any more indie street cred, then look no further than: Beach House, Girls, She & Him, etc...

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-22-2010, 05:13 PM
less hipster bands ---> less hipsters
I see no problem here

hendrixfan143
01-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Hipsters will still be there and stonger than ever.

PassiveTheory
01-22-2010, 05:17 PM
I think this thread is a joke/trap and you all fell for it.

liquidsnake28
01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
and if you need any more indie street cred, then look no further than: Beach House, Girls, She & Him etc...

Coming up straight from the underground.

unit300021
01-22-2010, 05:25 PM

This. I dont know how many hipster friends I have seen on facebook that, considering the vast majority have yet to been to one before... really annoying

malcolmjamalawesome
01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
and if you need any more indie street cred, then look no further than: Beach House, Girls, She & Him, etc...

Yes. The only people who have ever heard of these acts are people with "internet connections" who casually browse "pitchfork.com".

psycobetabuckdown
01-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Where did they go? It's like Coachella is all Hip-Hop and Big Name Electronica acts this year... I wish it was still like it was in 1999.

Ha, I like how Jay-Z makes people think this year is hip-hop heavy - there are all of 4 hip-hop acts on the lineup. 99 was about 25-30% hip-hop acts....

Captain Ahab
01-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Yo La Tengo is going to be there, how can you get more indie?

phenomenator
01-23-2010, 12:08 AM

The word you are looking for is troll

Winterwooskiee
01-23-2010, 12:46 AM
what's a hipster?

bdfsh
01-23-2010, 12:52 AM
well, indie bands are bands on independent labels/no label at all- and generally get very little attention by anyone outside of their close, and small groups of followers; once they become a big name, they cease being 'indie'.

a stupid fucking term if you ask me.

and + only hipsters use the term hipster.

so does that make me a hipster? Im not sure and Im sick of all these stupid fucking labels. Enjoy good music and leave the labels on beer bottles.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 01:03 AM
what's a hipster?

I'm under the impression that a hipster is someone who dresses indie to be "hip." Faux indie, if you will.

psycobetabuckdown
01-23-2010, 01:10 AM
well, indie bands are bands on independent labels/no label at all- and generally get very little attention by anyone outside of their close, and small groups of followers; once they become a big name, they cease being 'indie'.

a stupid fucking term if you ask me.

Technically I guess an indie band is a band on an independent label, and unsigned bands wouldn't even qualify as indie. I like how Interpol, Death Cab for Cutie and The Strokes are described as indie bands, and I also like how "indie rock" is just a broad definition of "alternative" rock bands from the 2000s and doesn't describe the music in any way.

and + only hipsters use the term hipster.

What? You have to be a douche to be a hipster. I couldn't be one if I tried, I'm way too unhip. I just happen to like enough good music so I know what a hipster is.

fatbastard
01-23-2010, 05:30 AM
Perhaps your still living in 1999.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Perhaps your still living in 1999.

burnjob!

nbvcide
01-23-2010, 12:51 PM
are you kidding me?!??! this lineup has MORE indie hipster shit than usual..

i guess you're not indie hipster enough to recognize.. better start doin your homework..

Eliwood
01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
what's a hipster?

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED http://digital.pastemagazine.com/publication/?i=26727&p=29

Austinlee
01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I would love to hear more cool indie bands. Real artists with a message in their music like Mahndo AKA Amanda Dumas, acoustic neo soul alternative singer songwriter who has blowing up on the music scene and getting a lot of well deserved attention or the Fray or Rickey Rebel.

Austinlee
01-23-2010, 02:01 PM
I would love to hear more cool indie music such as artists like MAHNDO AKA Amanda Dumas, neo soul alternative singer songwriter, who is blowing up the music scene deservingly so with real music ,plus the Fray or Rickey Rebel.

instinct
01-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Congratulations.. You are the winner!! I don't know anyone would take this thread seriously for even a second.

sbessiso
01-23-2010, 04:31 PM
ummm Grizzly Bear is on the lineup is it not?

Foucault
01-23-2010, 05:00 PM
After learning about the hipster vs. Hasids war in Brooklyn, I've become a fan of hipsters everywhere (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/08/hipsters-hasidic-jews-fig_n_384579.html).

With that said, here's your guide to a hipster Coachella:
Friday:
Vampire Weekend
Grizzly Bear
She&Him
Yeasayer
Ra Ra Riot
Hockey

Saturday:
MGMT
Dirty Projectors
Gossip
Tokyo Police Club
Almighty Defenders
Girls
Beach House

Sunday:
Deerhunter
Matt&Kim
Owen Pallett
Mayer Hawthorne
the Soft Pack

...and I'm sure I missed a few...

PrettyRagdoll
01-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Do you mean that in an ironic kind of way? Because if so ----> Vampire Weekend

pachucasunrise
01-23-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't care if Girls is Pitchfork fodder, they're fucking awesome.

quicksand
01-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Wat????? Dirty Projectors more than makes up for the hipster factor.

No, not really. They're good and all but they alone don't make up for a lack of that scene.

However, Dirty Projectors along with Grizzly Bear, Beach House, and Deerhunter are pretty good names to get for that crowd. And Yeasayer I guess but they sort of got reeally gay with that last album.

quicksand
01-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Congratulations.. You are the winner!! I don't know anyone would take this thread seriously for even a second.

You know what's a joke is the people who don't think that Saturdays Sahara lineup totally blows a ton of dick. Way more of those people on the board than indie hipster kidz.

NoGwenPlease
01-23-2010, 05:39 PM
You know what's a joke is the people who don't think that Saturdays Sahara lineup totally blows a ton of dick. Way more of those people on the board than indie hipster kidz.
Saturday's sahara is good for two reasons: Bassnecter and.............. Bassnecter.

yeahi'llgo
01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Will there be places I can regularly update my facebook status with witty hipster quips?

My friends are going to enjoy hearing about the bands I'm seeing way more than i'll enjoy seeing them

Undies
01-23-2010, 06:17 PM
joke/trap

= The name of my next band.

clumsy342
01-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I hate "hipster" even more than I hate "emo".

Neither mean anything anymore.

monkeyboy
01-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I have to agree with the sarcasm of the OP. I just went through the entire lineup's music links and have to say that I'm pretty disappointed. It's seems 80% hipsters(bands that have had a song on a smartphone or car commercial) or electronica.

Where's the ROCK? Where's the edge? It'll be worth it to see Faith No More and a few others, but I sure wish there was more rock to look forward to.

psycobetabuckdown
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
I hate "hipster" even more than I hate "emo".

Neither mean anything anymore.

Is that because you were emo in high school and caught onto the hipster fad in college?

Stefachink
01-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Hahahaha! Nice one.

psycobetabuckdown
01-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Where's the ROCK? Where's the edge? It'll be worth it to see Faith No More and a few others, but I sure wish there was more rock to look forward to.

Them Crooked Vultures
Muse
Faith No More
The Dead Weather
Porcupine Tree
Mew
Pavement
Coheed and Cambria
Public Image Limited
Les Claypool
The Dillinger Escape Plan
MuteMath
The Raveonettes
The Big Pink
Deerhunter

There might be a few more that I'm either unfamiliar with or have crossover appeal:
White Rabbits (indie rock, but edgier than Vampire Weekend or MGMT)
Sunny Day Real Estate (classic emo)
Yann Tiersen (will play some post-rock)
Julian Casablancas (The Strokes singer)
Kevin Devine (don't know anything about him except he probably sucks)
Gary Numan (industrial or something?)
RX Bandits (you've probably heard of them)

nbvcide
01-23-2010, 11:11 PM
^^u forgot The Cribs..

but yeah, fewest 'hard' acts of any coachella i think..

nbvcide
01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Friday:
Vampire Weekend
Grizzly Bear
She&Him
Yeasayer
Ra Ra Riot
Hockey

Saturday:
MGMT
Dirty Projectors
Gossip
Tokyo Police Club
Almighty Defenders
Girls
Beach House

Sunday:
Deerhunter
Matt&Kim
Owen Pallett
Mayer Hawthorne
the Soft Pack

again, FAIL.. not only did you not list a majority of the hipster acts, but many, many of the ones you DID list aren't even hipster..

psycobetabuckdown
01-24-2010, 02:39 AM
^^u forgot The Cribs..

but yeah, fewest 'hard' acts of any coachella i think..

yeah like i said there may be some i'm not familiar with - the cribs would be one of them. are they good?

I don't know if that's even true, that this is the fewest. I mean last year I guess there were some punk/hardcore bands, but this year has more metal/hard rock. I was actually surprised the list I came up with was that big - even though the bands I listed cover a pretty wide spectrum of rock.

nbvcide
01-24-2010, 02:58 AM
The Cribs? have you heard of Johhny Marr? perhaps The Smiths?
Hadouken! is another rock act on the lineup..

i gotta disagree with you on there being metal this year though.. Coheed and Cambria and RX Bandits would def be considered more punk/hardcore (at least that Warped Tour style of 'punk' & 'hardcore')

psycobetabuckdown
01-24-2010, 03:09 AM
The Cribs? have you heard of Johhny Marr? perhaps The Smiths?
Hadouken! is another rock act on the lineup..

i gotta disagree with you on there being metal this year though.. Coheed and Cambria and RX Bandits would def be considered more punk/hardcore (at least that Warped Tour style of 'punk' & 'hardcore')

Oh, yes. I knew I had heard of the Cribs. I like the Smiths but I've never heard much of Marr's stuff outside of it. Hard rock, huh?

So does that make them a must-see? Fuck.

How is Coheed punk? Maybe a tinge of hardcore but to me they're straight up prog rock. Metal? Porcupine Tree and Faith No More. That's as much as we usually have at Coachella. But the monkey was just saying we should have "ROCK" and I think there's a good amount of rock.

Foucault
01-24-2010, 11:26 AM
again, FAIL.. not only did you not list a majority of the hipster acts, but many, many of the ones you DID list aren't even hipster..

Ah, a 'hipster' in the eye of the beholder, young grasshopper.

bmack86
01-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Baroness is metal

guedita
01-24-2010, 11:59 AM
I'M GLAD YOU ASKED http://digital.pastemagazine.com/publication/?i=26727&p=29

That's wonderful. I've been seeing a lot of the furry hat lately....I think it's making a comeback.

monkeyboy
01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Them Crooked Vultures
Muse
Faith No More
The Dead Weather
Porcupine Tree
Mew
Pavement
Coheed and Cambria
Public Image Limited
Les Claypool
The Dillinger Escape Plan
MuteMath
The Raveonettes
The Big Pink
Deerhunter

Well, I wouldn't call bands like Porcupine Tree, Mew, Coheed and Cambria, MuteMath, and Deer Hunter Rock bands with an edge. More like Pop Alternarock. Definitely not much of an edge. I'm talking Melvins(who are going to be touring with FNM?), Eagles of Death Metal or Queens of the Stoneage(Hell, they live right there in Joshua Tree), etc. Not that I'm a big mosher, but I like music that is moshable and there's not much on that list that you could mosh to. Without laughing anyway.

im_a_starfish
01-24-2010, 12:47 PM
less hipster bands ---> less hipsters
I see no problem here

mmhmm...
-____-

ADrunkPoet
01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
The lack of chillwave/glofi is surprising though, I will say.

whynotsmile99
01-24-2010, 01:30 PM
After learning about the hipster vs. Hasids war in Brooklyn, I've become a fan of hipsters everywhere (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/08/hipsters-hasidic-jews-fig_n_384579.html).

Friday:
Vampire Weekend
Grizzly Bear
She&Him
Yeasayer
Ra Ra Riot
Hockey

Saturday:
MGMT
Dirty Projectors
Gossip
Tokyo Police Club
Almighty Defenders
Girls
Beach House

Sunday:
Deerhunter
Matt&Kim
Owen Pallett
Mayer Hawthorne
the Soft Pack

ha, it's amazing. If I make it to Coachella this year I will not see a single band on that list

DFrank
01-24-2010, 01:31 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5mLuPJ0S8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5mLuPJ0S8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

psycobetabuckdown
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah Baronness, forgot about them. Three metal bands.

Well, I wouldn't call bands like Porcupine Tree, Mew, Coheed and Cambria, MuteMath, and Deer Hunter Rock bands with an edge. More like Pop Alternarock. Definitely not much of an edge. I'm talking Melvins(who are going to be touring with FNM?), Eagles of Death Metal or Queens of the Stoneage(Hell, they live right there in Joshua Tree), etc. Not that I'm a big mosher, but I like music that is moshable and there's not much on that list that you could mosh to. Without laughing anyway.

Pop alternarock? Deerhunter?

Them Crooked Vultures are there, really Queens of the Stone Age can wait til next year man. You're just being picky. You could probably mosh to Coheed, Baronness and Faith No More. And I don't know how Porcupine Tree isn't edgy, they make music like nothing else out. And it's certainly not pop.

Also no one moshes to Queens of the Stone Age or Eagles of Death Metal.

PrettyRagdoll
01-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah Baronness, forgot about them. Three metal bands.

Pop alternarock? Deerhunter?

Them Crooked Vultures are there, really Queens of the Stone Age can wait til next year man. You're just being picky. You could probably mosh to Coheed, Baronness and Faith No More. And I don't know how Porcupine Tree isn't edgy, they make music like nothing else out. And it's certainly not pop.

Also no one moshes to Queens of the Stone Age or Eagles of Death Metal.

Ah you got to it before me. Because Pop-alternative? :nono

LunaVC
01-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Coachella needs more Ska Punk and less Rhiana/Kesha type Gino music for guys who wear Christian Audiger t-shirts IMO.

pancakespancakes
01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Yo La Tengo are, in my most humble of opinions, the quintessential indie band of this generation and the last. No band better sums up everything about indie rock than those three, more than Pavement, Guided By Voices, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Built to Spill, Arcade Fire, etc. etc. etc. Yo La Tengo are the very epitome of indie music.

In effect, with their contribution to this year's Coachella lineup, I suppose we have the indiest weekend in Coachella history ahead of us.

NoGwenPlease
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
ha, it's amazing. If I make it to Coachella this year I will not see a single band on that list
You have no fucking taste in music if you wouldnt at least CHECK OUT Mayer Hawthorne.

You should get your ears checked dude youre a ******.

nbvcide
01-24-2010, 03:38 PM
How is Coheed punk? Maybe a tinge of hardcore but to me they're straight up prog rock. Metal? Porcupine Tree and Faith No More. That's as much as we usually have at Coachella. But the monkey was just saying we should have "ROCK" and I think there's a good amount of rock.

Coheed is pure Warped Tour, call em whatever you like though..

and Faith No More is NOT metal :nono

PassiveTheory
01-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Holy shit, people. THIS THREAD IS A TROLL THREAD. THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU.

clumsy342
01-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Is that because you were emo in high school and caught onto the hipster fad in college?

pssh..

I never went to college.

instinct
01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5mLuPJ0S8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5mLuPJ0S8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

LOL. Let's go to Cha-Cha lounge.

instinct
01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Holy shit, people. THIS THREAD IS A TROLL THREAD. THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU.

They are hipsters.

psycobetabuckdown
01-24-2010, 10:59 PM
They are hipsters.

Yeah I'm getting that feeling in here. Um, but the conversation's cool, so the troll thread led somewhere. Whatever.

Coheed is pure Warped Tour, call em whatever you like though..

and Faith No More is NOT metal :nono

How the fuck are Faith No More not metal? Where'd you develop your cookie-cutter definition of metal? I'm sure I could find a couple songs here and there that aren't metal, but 90% of their stuff falls under that umbrella.

Coheed is Warped Tour because of the singer. Plain and simple. He sounds like other emo singers. And yeah musically there probably is a little bit of hardcore roots too. That doesn't mean there's no crossover with our festival though, especially when Muse is playing.

You have no fucking taste in music if you wouldnt at least CHECK OUT Mayer Hawthorne.

You should get your ears checked dude youre a ******.

Mayer Hawthorne's gonna suck. His music is not original.

involvelemons
01-25-2010, 12:12 AM
They are hipsters.

Hahahahahajajajajajaja Rarrrrr.
Good shit, mang.

donkey sex
01-25-2010, 12:20 AM
I got my cousin's collection of old RIP metal magazines and Faith No More was heavily featured. Okay, they my magazines.

psycobetabuckdown
01-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Not that that is necessary to determine whether or not they're metal, but it's good to have journalistic support.

DanaCarly
01-25-2010, 12:27 AM
if you define indie as bands on indie labels, a shit ton buddy. miike snow, major lazer, the xx, etccccccccccc all indie labels.

involvelemons
01-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Jay-Z is indie as fuck.
He said so.

donkey sex
01-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Not that that is necessary to determine whether or not they're metal, but it's good to have journalistic support.

indeed. Upon reflection, I just can't believe those magazines where actually around. There was a bunch of them too...at least three or four major pubications. Like 'Metal Something' and 'RIP' and cant remember the rest. You know how many poofy haired metal bands I know about? Thousands. Hundreds of thousands of bands. Most of which I've never heard a single note of music from.

psycobetabuckdown
01-25-2010, 12:34 AM
That must be annoying, to have shit metal band names clouding up your thoughts.

The first music magazine I ever got into was Circus. That was stupid. I still have cutouts of Linkin Park, Rob Zombie and Puddle of Mudd on my wall.

signmeup
01-25-2010, 12:39 AM
wait, so is it cool indie hip to like pitchfork or to hate pitchfork? and should i refer to them as P4K or just pitchfork? these are important questions.

donkey sex
01-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Reaping Halls, The Cannibal Trail, Innermost Guitar Fret

Circus. Yeah, Circus. My cousin had Skid Row, early Mettalica, and more on his walls. Got "Front row to Def Leopard". Hope he's not reading this. I ain't mocking you, dude, it was a different era.

Radiohead
01-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Wait...is being a hipster bad now? I'm really out of the loop here.

psycobetabuckdown
01-25-2010, 05:42 PM
wait, so is it cool indie hip to like pitchfork or to hate pitchfork? and should i refer to them as P4K or just pitchfork? these are important questions.

If you like Pitchfork, it has to be very casual, and you have to show you couldn't care less whether or not it existed. If you hate Pitchfork, it has to be because they're passť and there's clearly a better publication out there that covers even more obscure bands. No one who calls it P4k is hip, that's just gay.

ghornett
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
pitchfork and grizzly bear are both awesome

bassnectar is far from awesome, i'm glad the tent will be able to contain the crap that comes out of it with pretty lights guetta and deadmau5

Eliwood
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
ghornett no need to be bitter, fuck.

im_a_starfish
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
:confused:

Friday:
Vampire Weekend
Grizzly Bear
She&Him
Yeasayer
Ra Ra Riot
Hockey

Saturday:
MGMT
Dirty Projectors
Gossip
Tokyo Police Club
Almighty Defenders
Girls
Beach House

Sunday:
Deerhunter
Matt&Kim
Owen Pallett
Mayer Hawthorne
the Soft Pack

damn
im looking forward to a lot of those bands
i dont really care if that makes me a hipster, buuuuhcause the music is so good

the gossip is hipster??????????????

Sandy Egoo
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
lol.
gotta be a joke.

anyways, for some good hipster humor:
http://www.latfh.com/

instinct
01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Wait...is being a hipster bad now? I'm really out of the loop here.

Yes.

Foucault
01-28-2010, 05:46 PM

damn
im looking forward to a lot of those bands
i dont really care if that makes me a hipster, buuuuhcause the music is so good

the gossip is hipster??????????????

One of the band members sports an ironic mustache; that's good enough for me.

ballroomdancer22
01-29-2010, 12:16 AM
the lineup is cleary aimed at the "hipster" and "in denial hipsters" demographic. be happy, you're covered.

william0074
01-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Stronger? than ever? That's kind of a contradiction. Next hipster I see that looks like they shit there pants, I'm gonna pull their pants off and give em a big swift kick in the arse
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/1117189641_1d340ca9c9.jpg

COACHILLA
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM
^^^ thats great, I love hipster music but am FARRR from a hipster... that shit just looks ghey

Cookieman908
01-30-2010, 07:27 AM

Friday:
Vampire Weekend
Grizzly Bear
She&Him
Yeasayer
Ra Ra Riot
Hockey

Saturday:
MGMT
Dirty Projectors
Gossip
Tokyo Police Club
Almighty Defenders
Girls
Beach House

Sunday:
Deerhunter
Matt&Kim
Owen Pallett
Mayer Hawthorne
the Soft Pack

You forgot to mention the XX. They're the ultimate hipster band of the moment. Unless they start getting too popular, then the hipsters will drop them by the time Coachella comes around.

Stefachink
01-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Poor bands who attract hipsters; their fans just come and go.

choice cat
01-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Friday in the Sahara will be the best. Wouldn't phoenix be considered an "indie" band as well, aside from there recent jump to fame?

im_a_starfish
01-30-2010, 09:04 PM
the lineup is cleary aimed at the "hipster" and "in denial hipsters" demographic. be happy, you're covered.

me? yeah. so happy.