PDA

View Full Version : Health concern question.

subby33
01-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Hello.

I've been to Coachella before (2005, very hot year) so I know what to expect. This year, my friend wants to come with me, but he gets heat stroke very easily, to the point where if he's not hydrated enough, he could require medical attention. Meaning, he'd need an ambulance to go to a hospital.

Are there personnel there equipped to deal with this situation? I think if he takes it easy he'll be fine, but I want to make sure in case something bad happens, that help would be available.

What is the nearest hospital to this venue?

Thanks if you can help.

JustSteve
01-22-2010, 02:58 PM
how can one get heat stroke easily but not be able to figure out how to avoid getting heatstroke? if your buddy isn't responsible enough to handle himself then he's better off staying at home.

and yes, there are medical tents there.

Monklish
01-22-2010, 02:59 PM
I thought 2005 was like the least hot year ever?

subby33
01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
I thought 2005 was like the least hot year ever?

No it was mega hot.

Monklish
01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't compared to other years.

Kropladop
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
If factoring in whether or not an ambulance will be on stand by and which hospital is nearest to Coachella is part of your trip planning your friend probably shouldnt go.

subby33
01-22-2010, 03:06 PM
how can one get heat stroke easily but not be able to figure out how to avoid getting heatstroke? if your buddy isn't responsible enough to handle himself then he's better off staying at home.

and yes, there are medical tents there.

Its not really heat stroke, but heat does affect him. He gets tired very easily, and if pushed too hard by things out of his control, he can lose movement in his body, and will need fluids to regain movement.

Sometimes even if totally prepared, it can happen without much notice.

He's a very responsible guy, and I'm a responsible friend, and this is why I'm asking before he goes. He wants to go very badly, but doesn't want to go if he knows he'll have no access to medical care.

travolta
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
wasn't 04 the hottest? i seem to recall it being 110+ for the Cure fans all dressed in black haha

Monklish
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
The answer to your question is that heat related health problems are the single most frequent problem at Coachella and they deal with it a lot and are totally prepared for it.

But 2005 was one of the coolest Coachellas ever. Go fuck yourself.

subby33
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
If factoring in whether or not an ambulance will be on stand by and which hospital is nearest to Coachella is part of your trip planning your friend probably shouldnt go.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPSP/2005/4/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Max temp was 94. Much higher than other years, especially later years.

Monklish
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
94 is drastically lower than other years. That's most years' low temp. Please shut up now.

subby33
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
94 is drastically lower than other years. That's most years' low temp. Please shut up now.

Why are you so rude?

Anybody who has information or opinions on the original topic, please respond.

Monklish
01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I already answered your question, dickhead.

Ravingmad
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Why are you so rude?

Anybody who has information or opinions on the original topic, please respond.

Your friend is going to die. He will literally melt into a puddle of goo.

Ravingmad
01-22-2010, 03:23 PM
On a related topic, I have a friend who is deadly allergic to peanuts. Should I take him on a tour of the Planters' factory, maybe have a nice lunch there?

blackchango
01-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I already answered your question, dickhead.

I don't think I have ever thanked you for all the joy you give me on a daily basis. Your arguments,debates,insights and opinions are very therapeutic and make me forget about all the real shitty things in this world. Ok so I'm gonna stop eating your ass out know. Carry on soulja !

="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PGlerZNyvEM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PGlerZNyvEM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kropladop
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPSP/2005/4/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Max temp was 94. Much higher than other years, especially later years.

This response has nothing to do with my post...

gaypalmsprings
01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Bring your friend. If he dies, at least he'll go out happy!

vinylmartyr
01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
John F Kennedy Hospital is the closest.

vinylmartyr
01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.jfkmemorialhosp.com/en-US/Pages/default.aspx

subby33
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
John F Kennedy Hospital is the closest.

awesome, thank u

subby33
01-22-2010, 03:52 PM

Fortunately, I wasn't responding to your post.

AbundantChoice
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
A bit more seriously,

if you thought '05 was hot, and potentially too hot for your friend, do *not* bring him to Coachella. Monklish is right, '05 was one of the cooler Coachellas, especially after the damned blast furnace conditions of '04, and now that it's three days that's a whole extra day for something to go wrong.

With that said, if he really wants to come, just make sure to get water bottles between *every* act. There's no possible way you'll drink too much water out there. You might also want to look into getting a few tubes of NUUN tablets: you add one to a bottle of water and it turns it into sugar-free Gatorade (adding a touch of salt, trace minerals, potassium, etc). I used the heck out of those things last year.

Also, it may look geeky, but have him get a sunhat that offers two key things: (1) ventilation, and (2) an extended brim in the back that covers his neck.

Stickjohn
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd recommend some kind of medical alert card or bracelet too - so medics don't think he's tripping on something. My bracelet just says I'm tripping on something.

M Sparks
01-22-2010, 04:21 PM
On a related topic, I have a friend who is deadly allergic to peanuts. Should I take him on a tour of the Planters' factory, maybe have a nice lunch there?

I'd recommend some kind of medical alert card or bracelet too - so medics don't think he's tripping on something. My bracelet just says I'm tripping on something.

:rotfl

Kropladop
01-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Fortunately, I wasn't responding to your post.

Really? cause you responded to my post.

patricksw
01-22-2010, 11:24 PM
If your friend is fine spending a day outside where it will be really hot, it will be fine. It's not in the middle of nowhere. It's very much in civilization. And if you really can't stand the heat, come later in the day when the sun is going down. We often don't arrive til 4 or so and it's all downhill from there. In the evenings, you actually really need sleeves sometimes cause the temperature drops down so much.

gaypalmsprings
01-22-2010, 11:27 PM
I hope he likes dried grass blowing around and the smell of burgeritos. You may want to avoid the mosh pits and the portopotties.

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 01:21 AM
2005 was indeed a very mild year concerning heat. I think it was in the mid-80's F.

BeeII
01-23-2010, 01:27 AM

lmao