PDA

View Full Version : how could coachellafest be improved?

jimmycrackcorn
02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
keeping a buisiness point of view at least in the back of your mind, what could be done to improve coachellafest? i came up with them changing their policy on RV's and creating a RV city similar to their tent city... of course they would charge and regulate it but -shrugs- i would rather camp out in a RV than commute each day back and forth... i would pay for that instead o the tents in a heartbeat

jackstraw94086
02-21-2007, 02:06 PM
the polo grounds aren't exactly wilderness. There's limited space, which RV's would waste unless each space cost more than a hotel room per night.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
the polo grounds aren't exactly wilderness. There's limited space, which RV's would waste unless each space cost more than a hotel room per night.
But they are allowing RV's at Stagecoach the following weekend. Granted, they might have a much smaller crowd for that festival.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-21-2007, 02:12 PM
But they are allowing RV's at Stagecoach the following weekend. Granted, they might have a much smaller crowd for that festival.

And let's face it, the Stagecoach crowd are much more likely to actually LIVE in their RVs!

ayates
02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Cut Ticketmaster out of the picture and create their own ticketing system would be an excellent idea. Also, include the price of camping into the admission ticket would be a great follow-up.

Will these things happen, of course not.

chairmenmeow47
02-21-2007, 02:16 PM
i agree that cutting ticketmaster out of the equation would be awesome.

i'd also recommend more exits.

AEversW
02-21-2007, 02:17 PM
they should give everyone a hooker, condoms and lube as they walk into the campground.

ayates
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
they should give everyone a hooker, condoms and lube as they walk into the campground.

The lube has already been given to you if you had to use Ticketmaster.

jackstraw94086
02-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Thanks for answering your question for me.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-21-2007, 02:25 PM
The lube has already been given to you if you had to use Ticketmaster.

So why did my ass hurt so much?

Hehe

SojuGorae
02-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Cut Ticketmaster out of the picture and create their own ticketing system would be an excellent idea. Also, include the price of camping into the admission ticket would be a great follow-up.

Will these things happen, of course not.

Amen to that. I'd really like to know what a convenience charge is.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 02:27 PM
i agree that cutting ticketmaster out of the equation would be awesome.

i'd also recommend more exits.
More exits would be nice. If they have security issues with multiple exits, perhaps they could have those exits locked until a later time at night when a lot of people would be leaving.

lowfront
02-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Campers get one chance to go back to the campsite during the day.

chairmenmeow47
02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
More exits would be nice. If they have security issues with multiple exits, perhaps they could have those exits locked until a later time at night when a lot of people would be leaving.

exactly. i'm not saying it has to be like that all day, but that mad rush out of the fest at the end freaks me out.

AEversW
02-21-2007, 02:34 PM

i second that.

randy ricochet
02-21-2007, 04:00 PM
All women must be topless!....even fat ones with saggy tits as this will provide a cool crevice to clamp my beer! (which I will sneak in or steal from somebody who has sneaked it in before any of you smart arse start!!)

rampaige
02-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Being able to freely wander around the festival with alcoholic beverage in hand.

randy ricochet
02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Aye

lowfront
02-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Being able to freely wander around the festival with alcoholic beverage in hand.

Ya thats one thing I couldn't believe when I heard. This festival is very idk..........

Boourns
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
1) no more Ticketmaster
2) if at all possible, have some kind of transportation available from camp to greyhound station or airport, for a fee, of course. last year over the course of 2+ hours on Monday morning, I saw four cabs, and none of them would take anyone to the bus station, until a van came through and 20 of us attempted to get on (said van had room for six), and half of the cab numbers listed on the website were either off the hook or disconnected, the rest would not send any taxis. none of this is goldenvoice's fault, of course, but it's a shitty way to end the weekend
3) NO MORE TICKETMASTER
14) more Asian girls

mountmccabe
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Cut Ticketmaster out of the picture and create their own ticketing system would be an excellent idea.
No way would it be worth it for Goldenvoice to create their own ticketing system that could handle the traffic that it would see next year. Tickets are going to sell quicker next year, not slower. I would not trust sales for such an event to anyone other than Ticketmaster.

Irony note: I bought from Ducat King, not Ticketmaster. But that was a pre-pre-sale and low volume... not anything like the traffic it'd need to deal with for a full-scale on-sale. And they're not sending out tickets for another month and a half.

Also, include the price of camping into the admission ticket would be a great follow-up.
This is ridiculous. Why make people paying for hotels pay for camping too? And if the idea is to make everyone camp... well, where are they gonna find room for that? And a goodly number of people still wouldn't camp and just be pissed off at paying for junk they won't use.

I can't think of anything wrong with this.

Irony note: I didn't leave through the main exits last year.

Thus making the lines to get in even longer. And opening up a secondary market on whatever pass it is that lets campers go back once and only once. This would also increase the level of intoxication of the people at the festival and would increase related problems accordingly.

Also I was under the impression that the no ins/outs was a California venue issue not a Goldenvoice is picking on us thing.

Irony note: Umm, not sure. I can't imagine having time to leave what with all the bands playing?

Making the festival 21+ (or 18+)? Or maybe they would just have to increase the amount of security... which I'm sure no one would like.

Irony note: I've never bought alcohol at Coachella. Drank it before/after, though.

I mean, I understand why y'all are asking here but there are good reasons for a lot of it even if it's not obvious.

AEversW
02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
14) more Asian girls

this should be number 1.

randy ricochet
02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
topless asian girls

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
All women must be topless!....even fat ones with saggy tits as this will provide a cool crevice to clamp my beer! (which I will sneak in or steal from somebody who has sneaked it in before any of you smart arse start!!)
Sorry, but I'm not slathering sunscreen all over my boobs and I'm not getting a sunburn there either. Icky, itchy, irritating. Too much sun there for toplessness.

randy ricochet
02-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Spoil sport!

hangthedj112
02-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Follow in Sasquatchs steps,

We are proud to announce that the 2007 Sasquatch! Music Festival is certified carbon neutral by Sustainable Energy Partners, and made possible by the support of Esurance.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is a greenhouse gas and is one of the major causes of global warming and climate change.

Carbon offsets are a way to reduce the amount of carbon emitted in one place by eliminating it from another place. This produces a net carbon output of zero. For every ton of carbon credits purchased, one ton of CO2 is removed from the waste stream.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Spoil sport!
Maybe I'll go topless at dusk. Wave if you see me, k?

randy ricochet
02-21-2007, 05:03 PM
THe question should be...will I see them!!?

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Do you have a microscope?

randy ricochet
02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
That big eh!....anyway I just read you forgot to wear deodorant today, so i'll probably smell you anyway....u mucky bugger!

Boourns
02-21-2007, 05:10 PM
topless asian girls

Yes. Free admission.

kroqken
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
They should always have Pepsi at the food court, not Coca Cola. Cokechella blows but Pepsi is the taste of a new generation.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Hey, I normally wear deodorant everyday, damn you. That was a one-time-only confession!

kroqken
02-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Also, make it easier for us "regular folks" to get VIP passes so we can party and booze it up with Generation Y celebrities who normally go to the Hyde Lounge or Area nightclubs.

Boourns
02-21-2007, 05:22 PM
They should always have Pepsi at the food court, not Coca Cola. Cokechella blows but Pepsi is the taste of a new generation.

I remember getting a Sierra Mist from the barbecue tent. Oh God, those bbq tri-tip sandwiches were so fucking good.

chrislasf
02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Topless Asians? No other races? Do you people really limit your boob viewage requests to certain ethnicities? You cats would drop your load if you caught glimpse of Nicaraguan dwarf flashing some nip.

That being said. The exit situation last year was straight scary. They have to figure out a way to open a wider exit or multiple ones. And having the portapotty trucks driving INTO the festival at 12:05 porbably doesnt need to be repeated either.

jimmycrackcorn
02-21-2007, 05:32 PM
-sighs- i guess none of the ideas would work but i loved reading them and the asian chicks hehehe -clapping- "i'd buy that for a dollar" in a sleezy voice

instinct
02-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Yea, Multiple Exits sounds soooooo better... maybe more parking ballon things.. there are only like 4 and don't really help you find your car that easily.

tessalasset
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
i would be content if every one of my posts from now on was just a ken quote.

braundiggity
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
The biggest thing to me is, own the land the festival's on. I love the Polo Fields as much as everyone else, but there's really something to be said for owning the festival lot. Superfly did this with Bonnaroo (in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee, I know), and it was a stroke of genius. It lets them do whatever they want, keep the show going until 3am or later, and -- speaking in dollars and cents here -- you cut out the presumably large cost of renting the lot.

Issues that I see owning the lot fixing: Parking (ability to install lights w/o worrying about the field), more exits (again, greater control over land), greater set time flexibility (no more midnight curfew, which I'd assume exists...most venues have one), beer drinking/pot smoking (I could be totally wrong, but if it's private property, wouldn't that make the law more lax? They're much more free about it at the roo). All the while, making more money (once you've earned back that initial investment, which Superfly's already done).

TomAz
02-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Issues that I see owning the lot fixing: Parking (ability to install lights w/o worrying about the field), more exits (again, greater control over land), greater set time flexibility (no more midnight curfew, which I'd assume exists...most venues have one), beer drinking/pot smoking (I could be totally wrong, but if it's private property, wouldn't that make the law more lax? They're much more free about it at the roo). All the while, making more money (once you've earned back that initial investment, which Superfly's already done).

Parking: yes.
Exits: maybe.
Set time flexibility: doubtful. probably a city ordinance and/or condition of various licenses. (noise concerns)
Beer drinking: maybe, but maybe not. Could be local ordinance, state law, or condition of liquor license for all ages admission.
Pot smoking: no way. think that one through.
Bonnaroo: I'm convinced the organizers have significantly endowed the Fraternal Order of Police fund there. or something like that.

what you've left out of your analysis though is that the price of a farm in Bumfuck Tennessee is probably a small fraction of what a developer would be willing to pay for the Polo Grounds. That changes the economics for GV considerably.

psychic friend
02-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Also, include the price of camping into the admission ticket would be a great follow-up.

Then when camping filled up what happens to the other thousands of people who show up expecting to camp? The capacity for camping is not the capacity of the polo field, its much much smaller.

jimmycrackcorn
02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
okay i think this one is doable: before you get in the gates where it's always dusty and you have to line up with a few other thousand hot, sweaty, complaining people, they could periodically have a water truck swoop through and spray the ground next to the line to keep the dust down... they MANDATE that this is done at all construction sites in the desert to combat PM10 (particulate matter=dust).... it would lower the temperature, make the line more pleasant... originally i was thinking spray the freaking line down too but that will just open liability for ruined cameras/cellphones... oh yeah i heard somebody else mention more lighted balloons in the parking area...

MarkO
02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Maybe move the festival a month back to the end of March when the temps are lower.

roberto73
02-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know how successful the new Glastonbury ticketing plan has been this year? It might be totally impractical for a festival in the States where the patrons are more geographically scattered, but putting your photo on the ticket seems like a pretty good scheme for thwarting the scalpers. If the scalping activity this year is any indication, I think that's something Goldenvoice is going to have to address very soon.

codytwo
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I heart Coachellafest.

instinct
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
okay i think this one is doable: before you get in the gates where it's always dusty and you have to line up with a few other thousand hot, sweaty, complaining people, they could periodically have a water truck swoop through and spray the ground next to the line to keep the dust down... they MANDATE that this is done at all construction sites in the desert to combat PM10 (particulate matter=dust).... it would lower the temperature, make the line more pleasant... originally i was thinking spray the freaking line down too but that will just open liability for ruined cameras/cellphones... oh yeah i heard somebody else mention more lighted balloons in the parking area...

i always thought watering it down would be cool.. but won't it get muddy? i don't know.. i don't live in the desert..

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Maybe move the festival a month back to the end of March when the temps are lower.

Polo season.

invisiblerobots
02-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Are we calling it coachellafest now?

braundiggity
02-22-2007, 11:57 AM
what you've left out of your analysis though is that the price of a farm in Bumfuck Tennessee is probably a small fraction of what a developer would be willing to pay for the Polo Grounds. That changes the economics for GV considerably.

That's actually very true, something I hadn't thought about. That said, the cost of renting the grounds is also high, so ultimately I'd think it'd pay off. Especially given the ever-increasing popularity of festivals in America. Coachella's going to be around for awhile.

jimmycrackcorn
02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
i always thought watering it down would be cool.. but won't it get muddy? i don't know.. i don't live in the desert..

yeah you are right -sighs-
hot dust or cool mud i guess

TomAz
02-22-2007, 05:28 PM
That's actually very true, something I hadn't thought about. That said, the cost of renting the grounds is also high, so ultimately I'd think it'd pay off. Especially given the ever-increasing popularity of festivals in America. Coachella's going to be around for awhile.

that's a good point too.

bballarl
02-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Let's make Coachella a free festival, with hookers and bowls of coke. That way, we can do lines off the hookers for free and shit.

jimmycrackcorn
02-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Let's make Coachella a free festival, with hookers and bowls of coke. That way, we can do lines off the hookers for free and shit.

hahaha well if you are going to add hookers then we'll need free showers too... i always feel dirty after hookers