PDA

View Full Version : Official "Owen Pallet will be the best early afternoon set of the weekend" Thread

Kid B
01-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Thank you so much for this GV.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7WxTP3ger8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7WxTP3ger8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

OnlyNonStranger
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
So he is going to be doing Final Fantasy stuff? I wasn't sure since last time I saw him(funfunfunfest '07) he was listed under Final Fantasy and not Owen Pallett.

Regardless, I support this thread.

tral!
01-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Without a doubt.

Kid B
01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
So he is going to be doing Final Fantasy stuff? I wasn't sure since last time I saw him(funfunfunfest '07) he was listed under Final Fantasy and not Owen Pallett.

Regardless, I support this thread.

IIRC, the other albums are going to be re-released under the name Owen Pallett. He's only changing the name due to some conflict with the makers of the game.

ABCkatie
01-22-2010, 02:52 PM
sweeeet

Monklish
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
http://www.memegenerator.net/Instances/15/MUSICALLY-OBLIVIOUS-8TH-GRADER-OWL-CITY-ISNT-BAD-I-ACTUALLY-LIKE-HIS-STYLE-A-LOT.jpg

OnlyNonStranger
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
sweeeet

Hey let's be friends. I'll, like, buy you beer an' shit. Fo realz!

There also won't be roofies in the beer.

ABCkatie
01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
sounds good

thewindowliquor
01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.memegenerator.net/Instances/182/MUSICALLY-OBLIVIOUS-8TH-GRADER-PAVEMENT-MAH-DAD-BUILT-A-NEW-DRIVEWAY.jpg

OnlyNonStranger
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Also, this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q_yuhsxFL9M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q_yuhsxFL9M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

thewindowliquor
01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
that does not look like a very fun show to watch.

OnlyNonStranger
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
meh, to each his own.

thewindowliquor
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
i mean, i like dude's albums ok, but seriously... that show does not look fun.

TallGuyCM
01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Absolutely. Finally a thread in this section that knows what it's talking about!

ABCkatie
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.memegenerator.net/Instances/182/MUSICALLY-OBLIVIOUS-8TH-GRADER-PAVEMENT-MAH-DAD-BUILT-A-NEW-DRIVEWAY.jpg

i hate you

Boourns
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Hell yes

OnlyNonStranger
Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

thewindowliquor
i hate you

aren't you missing your spanish class right now?

ABCkatie
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
i take french actually
thanks for asking though, very thoughtful

thewindowliquor
01-22-2010, 03:19 PM
i take french actually

you would.

(see relevant signature below.)

ABCkatie
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
you would.

(see relevant signature below.)

i would

MissingPerson
01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I sincerely and enthusiastically endorse this thread.

The guy is a hero, and I am really, really excited to see him here in Dublin later on this year.

If I may be so bold, I'll repost the guts of what I posted in the early stages of the Educate Others On The Lineup Thread, simply because it's pretty much the best case I have to make for the guy.

He is a tremendously gifted artist who has been quietly having a huge influence on indie and pop for the last few years, having worked with everybody from Beirut to Mika, Arcade Fire to Pet Shop Boys, so there is a very good chance you have heard him already whether you know it or not. He's a violin guy, primarily. Violin and a keyboard onstage, but he produces a band's worth of sound and then some. He loops himself live in such a way that he provides his own backing instrumentation, but even if you've seen people do it before, they surely never did it with the same kind of frenzied panache as Pallett.

Unfortunately, despite having collaborated with practically every single band in the Western Hemisphere, he also has a bizarre compulsion to self sabotage - up until very recently, his solo output was under the totally googleproof copyright nightmare of Final Fantasy, and his last album had the equally facepalming title of He Poos Clouds.

His current album, Heartland - which is a very strong contender for the best of 2010 already - is described on paper as a concept album about a young ultra-violent farmer who realises Owen fancies him and goes on a suicidal quest to disembowel his creator. Although this would suggest his music is joylessly unlistenable bullshit that no sane person possessed of ears could possibly like, I assure you this is not the case. Despite an unconventional array of instruments and a unique way of putting them to work that has to be seen to be appreciated, his music is enormously good fun and extremely dynamic on the stage.

Given the right stage and set time, it could be positively rabble-rousing stuff. Last time we saw him, he was so drunk he forgot the words to Cliquot; we were too drunk to help him recall them. It dissolved into something just short of a football terrace anthem and a good time was had by all, which is not bad going for a song about a dying gay lover in old France.

Obviously, he doesn't bring the orchestra with him, but this is still a great example of this song:
cu4Rj0yOLiU

This is probably more representative, however:
NB05Lt3VbNg

And one more:

1U88BotDBWk

The only thing I would say about the youtubes is that, because of the fact that he has to loop in the bits of the song at the start, his songs tend not to work themselves into the proper "Holy Shit!" stage until about two minutes in.

I've said it before, and it remains just as true: if any one of you misses the chance to see what this guy is about, I will punch you in the face on your own behalf.

HandBanana
03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I hope he brings accompaniment to flesh the sound all out.

Hugely looking forward to this set as Heartland is nearly flawless.

ArcadeParade
03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I hope he brings accompaniment to flesh the sound all out.

He will, when I saw him in...October(?) he did at least.

And yes, this thread is true, his set will be amazing! Let's just hope it is indeed an early set. Last time I asked him he said he didn't know but he thought it would be really early or really late! ahhh! really late would mean no owen for me :(

JewFace
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I gotta say, MP, as much as I like Owen Pallett's ventures into collaborative LGBT journalism, his musical work is often a bit too precious for my taste. That being said, I think Heartland contains his best work so far.

I really love the video for "Lewis Takes Off His Shirt". Usually, I can't stand this sort of low-rent slap dash operation. I like my production values. I was attempting to tell a friend what I liked about this video earlier today and ended up sounding like the prodigiously gifted fine arts critic, PTA. I think that despite the fact that it is as low as low-rent gets and can be annoyingly opaque and dada-like, it has this wonderful, youthful, hopeful spirit to it. The song's absolutely lovely too. The video's garnering a lot of hate on YT because it "doesn't make sense", is "confusing", "too low budget", "alienating" and the like. I find it oddly charming.

7G-cqAehehA

Somewhat Damaged
03-05-2010, 10:27 PM
He's probably my favorite discovery from this year's Coachella. I hope he plays "The Great Elsewhere." That song is just so many different kinds of amazing.

MissingPerson
03-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I gotta say, MP, as much as I like Owen Pallett's ventures into collaborative LGBT journalism, his musical work is often a bit too precious for my taste.

I know what you mean, and as much as I love the bulk of his stuff, I rarely make it through any of his previous albums without skipping at least one track. But live he can't and doesn't really indulge himself to that degree, there's never any filler or wanky little excursions down ego street. And Heartland is, start to finish, a note-perfect album IMHO.

As for the Lewis Takes Off His Shirt video; I don't mind a video being a bit odd or having the guts to risk alienating, but it feels a bit willfully strange and deliberately alienating for my taste. I like the sheer demented energy of it and all, and the Falcon Heene cameo, but it's a bit of a chore otherwise and it hasn't held my attention to the end yet. It also makes me cringe a little that it looks so very LATFH.com-ish and knowingly media-studenty.

JewFace
03-06-2010, 04:50 PM
I know what you mean, and as much as I love the bulk of his stuff, I rarely make it through any of his previous albums without skipping at least one track. But live he can't and doesn't really indulge himself to that degree, there's never any filler or wanky little excursions down ego street. And Heartland is, start to finish, a note-perfect album IMHO.

As for the Lewis Takes Off His Shirt video; I don't mind a video being a bit odd or having the guts to risk alienating, but it feels a bit willfully strange and deliberately alienating for my taste. I like the sheer demented energy of it and all, and the Falcon Heene cameo, but it's a bit of a chore otherwise and it hasn't held my attention to the end yet. It also makes me cringe a little that it looks so very LATFH.com-ish and knowingly media-studenty.

I actually saw him opening for and then playing with your hot favs years ago when they were first touring Funeral. It was at this tiny club in San Diego called The Casbah. Ah, God bless fake IDs. My friend and I actually had a drink with him at the bar afterward not even knowing it was him until later. Hopefully we didn't say anything along the lines of "did you see that god awful violinist?"

I know what you're saying about a video that is willfully strange and deliberately alienating. Usually, that would turn me off too. But for some reason, I really like it. I think it's because there's a definite wink throughout the whole thing. You know the guy has a sense of humor about it, even while he's being quite sincere about the whole affair. I mean, the first few seconds? Literally blowing smoke up your ass? Oh, and, from your expert opinion, would you say that's Owen's butt?

MissingPerson
03-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh, and, from your expert opinion, would you say that's Owen's butt?

I'd be stunned if it wasn't. Guy likes his ass.

I actually saw him opening for and then playing with your hot favs years ago when they were first touring Funeral. It was at this tiny club in San Diego called The Casbah. Ah, God bless fake IDs. My friend and I actually had a drink with him at the bar afterward not even knowing it was him until later. Hopefully we didn't say anything along the lines of "did you see that god awful violinist?"

I like all the bits of this paragraph.

JewFace
03-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I'd be stunned if it wasn't. Guy likes his ass.

I have so much in common with Owen Pallett!

ArcadeParade
03-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Sweet fucking vid on the main page. Yayyyyy for Owen being at coach! :D :D

MissingPerson
03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
From his twitter:

HOLY SHIT. We just got ripped off on our Coachella lodging. No place to stay and the leaser has vanished with our $2500 deposit.

Anyway, I know a great place to crash for a pool party after Coachella if you need a place to smoke cigarettes and shit.

ArcadeParade
03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
lol wtf, he can crash with us if he has too!

sonofhal
03-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Was chatting to someone this evening at his show about this.

Good show BTW.

MissingPerson
03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Sweet.

Did he do Better Than Worse?

MissingPerson
04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
So Dan Deacon has done an awesome thing with Lewis Takes Off His Shirt.

http://thrillpier.blogspot.com/2010/04/dan-deacon-remixes-owen-pallett.html

cansei de ser sexme
04-11-2010, 01:52 PM
What has he been playing live at recent shows? Mostly Heartland stuff?

MissingPerson
04-11-2010, 02:24 PM
The first night in Dublin was mostly Heartland stuff with a decent dose of more popular older songs. The second show was weirder, more obscure stuff, but that was kind of in recognition of the fact that most of us were there both nights.

From March:

1. E is for Estranged
2. This is the Dream of Win and Regine
3. The Man With No Ankles
4. That's When The Audience Died
5. Midnight Directives
6. Keep the Dog Quiet > Mt. Alpentine
7. The Great Elsewhere
8. Lewis Takes Action
9. He Poos Clouds
10. (Mountain Goats cover - He opened up the floor for "out there requests", and gave this a shot. Didn't quite work, so he gave up about halfway through)
11. Took You Two Years to Win My Heart
12. Flare Gun
13. The Butcher
14. Many Lives -> 49MP
15. Lewis Takes off His Shirt

Encore:
16. Independence is No Solution
17. Song Song Song
18. Better Than Worse

NoGwenPlease
04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm going to say Local Natives and Portugal. The Man Are going to put up a fight for this... however I will be at all three.

Kid B
04-18-2010, 10:00 AM
TODAY TODAY TODAY