PDA

View Full Version : Richie Hawtin Talks Plastikman Live 2010

Pages : [1] 2

matthewcampari
01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
A quick interview on URB.com (http://www.urb.com/2010/01/21/richie-hawtin-talks-live-plastikman-2010).

URB: Coachella is the first announced Plastikman date since 2005 @ Mutek. Are their other dates planned?
Richie Hawtin: There will be quite a lot of activity under the Plastikman name this year, stay tuned for more details, as well as a new updated website and other surprises very soon!

The Mutek date was somewhat considered a “failure,” mostly due to technical problems. How will that be prevented?
When working with new technologies you can never be sure of success, you work towards a goal, build in redundancies, backup systems and hope for the best. To continue forward however, one should learn from mistakes, when and if they happen.

READ THE REST (http://www.urb.com/2010/01/21/richie-hawtin-talks-live-plastikman-2010)

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
plastikman LIVE :D:D:D:D

fuck me, richie hawtin in the tent in 07 got me into dance music. this is going to most likely bring me to tears. it'll be a new-one a rave face streaked with tears of joy

superfiction
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
convince me i want to see him in 3 youtubes. GO GO GO

sbessiso
01-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Plastikman Live @ Babylon, Greensboro, NC
http://www.mediafire.com/?lyow4mmy3kg

> Youtube

oohhh thanks Ryan. coachella research!

superfiction
01-21-2010, 09:02 PM
streaming > downloading

guedita
01-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Here he is at the Warehouse Project

mL6BG9rdIyU

boarderwoozel3
01-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Great video! What is that, Minimal techno? As if there aren't already enough acts I really want to see on Sun... there's a lot of running from the Sahara to the main stage and back in my future.

Brochella
01-21-2010, 09:16 PM
great find, thanks for sharing!

his show is going to blow a mind or two or three thousand

superfiction
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
i still dont get it

guedita
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah, minimal techno with some acid thrown in. His set is going to be hawt hawt hawt! There's another Plastikman thread, we should merge if possible.

terrible1fi
01-21-2010, 09:37 PM

mL6BG9rdIyU

mind = blown !!!

cannot wait

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
i still dont get it

watch in HD and TURN IT UP

digitaldragon03
01-21-2010, 10:49 PM

mL6BG9rdIyU
Im gonna die during this set.

menikmati
01-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a feeling he'll be on during Pavement :(

paulthomasanderson
01-21-2010, 10:54 PM

mL6BG9rdIyU

Thanks for this.

I have a feeling he'll be on during Pavement :(

Ditto.

SoulDischarge
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
I've already said this a hundred times before but I don't think his set is going to be as heavily minimal as his DJ sets under his own name, which is pretty much all that's up on YouTube. I'm assuming since it's billed as Plastikman live, it's going to be his own productions, so it's going to sound a lot like his album material, which is quite a bit different from what he spins during his DJ sets as Richie Hawtin. I could be wrong though.

boarderwoozel3
01-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah, minimal techno with some acid thrown in. His set is going to be hawt hawt hawt! There's another Plastikman thread, we should merge if possible.

Indeed. Plastikman into Orbital would make me a veryveryvery happy camper.

getbetter
01-21-2010, 11:03 PM
O man Richie Hawtin as Plastikman awesome why does gorillaz/Pavement/thom yorke conflict seem like that it's going happen u know what would be awesome is Pavement/Thom yorke/Gorillaz/Plastikman(at the sahara)

hendrixfan143
01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
this is the one electronic act i am really excited for, why the fuck is it on sunday

nbvcide
01-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Indeed. Plastikman into Orbital would make me a veryveryvery happy camper.

THIS.

although i think he's conflict with Thom Yorke, with Orbital during Pavement.. but i could be wrong (they could also just overlap, there is a lot of set-up time for main stage headliner & subs, and gorillaz may have more than the usual setup time)

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Coachella was overdue for some good Minimal/Down-temp

this is going to be great :D

Plastikman ---> Orbital ftw!!!!!!!!

CrimesceneCookie
01-22-2010, 12:09 AM

> Youtube

Thanks for this, the tracks here take me wayyy back.

HEADSTRUCK
01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I've already said this a hundred times before but I don't think his set is going to be as heavily minimal as his DJ sets under his own name, which is pretty much all that's up on YouTube. I'm assuming since it's billed as Plastikman live, it's going to be his own productions, so it's going to sound a lot like his album material, which is quite a bit different from what he spins during his DJ sets as Richie Hawtin. I could be wrong though.

Richie hawtin = minimal techno

Plastikman = Mindfuck "live" Techno

MaXiMuS501
01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I love Richie Hawtin, but I new nothing about Plastikman until now. After listening to some of his work under that name, I am getting really pumped for this set. There are going to be some crazy conflicts on Sunday for sure, but I really want to check this out!

weezy f baby
01-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm all over Plastikman. This is gonna be so fuckin facemelting.

Botrocker
01-22-2010, 07:03 PM
plastikman LIVE :D:D:D:D

fuck me, richie hawtin in the tent in 07 got me into dance music. this is going to most likely bring me to tears. it'll be a new-one a rave face streaked with tears of joy

Soulwax into Richie Hawtin had to be one the best afternoons in the Sahara ever.

fikus222
01-22-2010, 07:16 PM
I saw Plastikman live in a small(ish) Arizona club in like '99 and it was pretty sweet. Arizona's RC Lair opened for him with a live set that was also outstanding. Both of them had a sh!t ton of equipment on stage, sort of like SMDs rig. In any case, good times were had.

At any rate, I'm really glad that it sounds as if a Plastikman tour is somewhere in our near future.

orbit
01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
he'll most likely play only plastikman material. original, reworks and don't be surprised to hear a couple of unreleased tracks -depending how long his set is-. richie hawtin sets were getting boring lately. though when i saw him play with ricardo villalobos years ago it was fucking amazing.

hopefully his visuals will work well this time. also, i hope that everyone who voted on his survey chose sheet one and musik as his best releases.

SpC_2xq4_AI

SoulDischarge
01-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I forgot about that survey. I suggested he play Coachella in the comment box on there, so you're all welcome.

summerkid
01-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I really hope I get a chance to see this set, its too bad he's playing on Sunday and not Saturday.

guedita
01-22-2010, 08:42 PM
I forgot about that survey. I suggested he play Coachella in the comment box on there, so you're all welcome.

Thanks! I am expecting nothing but greatness.

boarderwoozel3
01-22-2010, 09:41 PM

> Youtube

Excellent.

Distorted_Jungle
01-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Stoked for this set, just hope he doesn't play during the gorillaz.

jsun420
01-23-2010, 04:12 PM
im soooo there!!!

Gconscious
01-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Hey guys that Set from Babylon in Greensboro from I think late 93 was not a Plastikman p.a. I know I was there. The very next night he performed his 1st Plastikman p.a. in the legendary Pakard plant. He did play live as Cybersonik in Atlanta in 92 on the Prodigy Moby bus tour and in St. Louis in 95 that was as close as he ever came with a p.a. to "The South". I am pretty certain he has only performed live as Plastikman less than 20 times in his career. I was stopped by the border guards in 2004 or I would have been at the Mutek show other than that I think it was only the Muzik-Fuk tour from 94-95. Looking forward to this one for sure.

Devin the Dude
01-29-2010, 12:22 AM
i'm gonna be really pissed with whatever conflicts he brings, but i'll most likely catch this over anything else on the sunday lineup, aside from maybe gorillaz. i will die if they conflict. die.

WhatLies
01-29-2010, 11:16 AM

mL6BG9rdIyU

this video just made plastikman one of my most anticipated acts of the weekend. Now is this set completely spontaneous and live like the one he did at Mutek?

Leeartlee
01-29-2010, 11:20 AM
He will be live, that changes everything. So much more pumped now.

guedita
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
i'm gonna be really pissed with whatever conflicts he brings, but i'll most likely catch this over anything else on the sunday lineup, aside from maybe gorillaz. i will die if they conflict. die.

I might skip the Gorillaz for him....

Keo345
01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Hey Guys ~

As a fan of Richie Hawtin for 10 years, and being originally from Detroit, I can't even begin to describe what it means to know we will be experiencing a live Plastikman set at this year's Coachella. This is an EXTREMELY rare experience, probably on the same level of infrequency as seeing Boards of Canada live. Richie has only performed live as Plastikman ONCE since 1995, and that was at the 2004 Mutek music fest in Montreal. I can tell you since I was living in the Midwest at the time, that the level of anticipation for that set was completely off the charts, and his ambition for what he wanted to do was equally insane.

Here is a link to exactly what a Plastikman live set encompasses - it is nothing short of a complete audio/visual experience that is all programmed live and completely controlled by Richie:

http://www.derivativeinc.com/Events/15-Plastikman/pdf/DerivativePlastikmanGXMagazine.pdf

So basically, Richie is in control of all the audio, the visuals, and the lights via his programmer. All the music is being created, mixed and re-mixed live - layers and layers of tracks all being re-worked in the moment. In addition, the visuals on the screen and the lights are all synchronized with the music and also controlled by him. You are literally in Plastikman's world.

Now the 2004 Mutek show was a failure of sorts - the visuals failed after about 20 minutes and he did most of his set with a blank screen above him. Since then, he has been working on the controller that programs audio and visual, via the Contakt tour that he did this last year. So I feel confident that he would not unveil a Plastikman set if he did not have everything dialed.

One thing I should clarify - a Plastikman live set is NOTHING like a Richie Hawtin DJ set. Further, the minimal techno we know now is nothing like the minimal techno that Richie released as Plastikman in the 90s and early 00s. Minimal techno now is still club-friendly, 4/4-derived music - Plastikman minimal is stripped down, disjointed and heady. Point being, please do not go to see Plastikman live thinking you are going to pop a couple and jack for 90 minutes, because you will walk away feeling very disappointed. It is more of an immersive experience, where you take away from the entire environment that he is creating.

That said, we are going to witness one of the truly rare and most ambitious electronic music performances that exists. And the truth is, for as much as I know about Richie and how many times I've seen him live, no one really knows what he will unveil and unleash on the 18th. But I promise, you will not want to miss it!!!

Keo345
01-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey guys that Set from Babylon in Greensboro from I think late 93 was not a Plastikman p.a. I know I was there. The very next night he performed his 1st Plastikman p.a. in the legendary Pakard plant. He did play live as Cybersonik in Atlanta in 92 on the Prodigy Moby bus tour and in St. Louis in 95 that was as close as he ever came with a p.a. to "The South". I am pretty certain he has only performed live as Plastikman less than 20 times in his career. I was stopped by the border guards in 2004 or I would have been at the Mutek show other than that I think it was only the Muzik-Fuk tour from 94-95. Looking forward to this one for sure.

Correct. Cybersonik was Richie and Dan Bell doing a hard techno live PA back in the early 90s. They were groomed along with Prodigy and Moby to kind of usher in electronic music to the mainstream US back then, but they backed out and did not ride that train. Richie then began throwing his own infamous warehouse parties in Detroit, which is where the Plastikman live sets began. He was also a regular in the Midwest rave scene and would perform as Plastikman, but largely he saved his full live Plastikman sets for his own parties in Detroit.

coldstart
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Richie Hawtin is epic live. Go. Now.

CrimesceneCookie
01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Correct. Cybersonik was Richie and Dan Bell doing a hard techno live PA back in the early 90s.

and john acquaviva.

i saw Cybersonik open for Prodigy & Moby at the palladium in 93 (?), pretty sure it was just Hawtin and Acquaviva, could be wrong though.

guedita
01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Keo--thanks for the info. I know there's a vast difference between minimal techno now vs. in the 90's, but I'm still hoping to dance....(I actually think his Plastikman tracks are quite danceable in a less frenzied than the type of music we hear today way).

I'm very excited for the entire experience.

boarderwoozel3
01-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, that was a great post and article link. If that's right and this is really that rare and progressive I won't be missing Mr. Hawtin's performance.

bonerfromgrowingpains
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM

holy shit...babylon!!! that was the spot for sure. i've done some rotten things up in that dj booth.

The Dude
01-29-2010, 04:52 PM

I really hope your correct cause mnml sucks but the kind of set he played at Coachella in 2003 could seriously enlighten some people about electronic music esp the Tiesto/Guetta fanclub.

mmblack
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
i can't believe i was in berlin, the place richie now calls home, for four months and was out of town the three times he DJ'd there and now he is coming to me! gv, ich liebe dich.

theresalwaysone
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey Guys ~

As a fan of Richie Hawtin for 10 years, and being originally from Detroit, I can't even begin to describe what it means to know we will be experiencing a live Plastikman set at this year's Coachella. This is an EXTREMELY rare experience, probably on the same level of infrequency as seeing Boards of Canada live. Richie has only performed live as Plastikman ONCE since 1995, and that was at the 2004 Mutek music fest in Montreal. I can tell you since I was living in the Midwest at the time, that the level of anticipation for that set was completely off the charts, and his ambition for what he wanted to do was equally insane.

Here is a link to exactly what a Plastikman live set encompasses - it is nothing short of a complete audio/visual experience that is all programmed live and completely controlled by Richie:

http://www.derivativeinc.com/Events/15-Plastikman/pdf/DerivativePlastikmanGXMagazine.pdf

So basically, Richie is in control of all the audio, the visuals, and the lights via his programmer. All the music is being created, mixed and re-mixed live - layers and layers of tracks all being re-worked in the moment. In addition, the visuals on the screen and the lights are all synchronized with the music and also controlled by him. You are literally in Plastikman's world.

Now the 2004 Mutek show was a failure of sorts - the visuals failed after about 20 minutes and he did most of his set with a blank screen above him. Since then, he has been working on the controller that programs audio and visual, via the Contakt tour that he did this last year. So I feel confident that he would not unveil a Plastikman set if he did not have everything dialed.

One thing I should clarify - a Plastikman live set is NOTHING like a Richie Hawtin DJ set. Further, the minimal techno we know now is nothing like the minimal techno that Richie released as Plastikman in the 90s and early 00s. Minimal techno now is still club-friendly, 4/4-derived music - Plastikman minimal is stripped down, disjointed and heady. Point being, please do not go to see Plastikman live thinking you are going to pop a couple and jack for 90 minutes, because you will walk away feeling very disappointed. It is more of an immersive experience, where you take away from the entire environment that he is creating.

That said, we are going to witness one of the truly rare and most ambitious electronic music performances that exists. And the truth is, for as much as I know about Richie and how many times I've seen him live, no one really knows what he will unveil and unleash on the 18th. But I promise, you will not want to miss it!!!

Wow that is nothing short of amazing.

The Dude
01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.beatportal.com/uploads/news/1211492415_minusthecube.jpg

I wonder if he'll bring the cube.

Trick Loves The Kids
01-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey Guys ~

great post

Daft Fro
01-29-2010, 08:31 PM
post & article = good reads, thanks!

Mr. Dylanja
01-29-2010, 08:37 PM
"pop a couple and jack for 90 minutes" had me laughing all day

getbetter
01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Man i hope somehow it goes Thom Yorke>Pavement>Gorilliaz then to the Sahara for Plastikman

Distorted_Jungle
01-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Man i hope somehow it goes Thom Yorke>Pavement>Gorilliaz then to the Sahara for Plastikman

As long as it's Plastikman->Gorillaz, or Gorillaz->Plastikman, it will be worth every penny i spend to go to Coachella, not to mention all the other amazing things i will get to see that weekend.

seandigi
01-30-2010, 09:38 PM
This thread just made me stoked to see him.

kuuguy
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM

Sounds Great. I could see this happening. EDC's Sahara closing set last year was like nothing anyone had seen before. I haven't seen Orbital before and as much as I'm stoked to see them, there seems to be higher potential for originality and audio/visual sensory overload in what Plastikman has prepared. I'd like to see Infected Mushroom>Orbital>Club 75>Plastikman order of events aligned with your Main Stage prediction.

Yorke>Orbital>Gorillaz>Plastikman is my best case scenario!

Unless club 75 played before Yorke which is highly unlikely, but just throwing it out there! Sunday is going to be carazay!

frozen pilgrim
01-31-2010, 07:09 AM
if plastikman and gorillaz conflict, it'll be fucking unforgiveable. put plastikman on at 8:30, right after the sun's good and down, and give gorillaz from 10:30-12. (sahara/main, respectively)

frozen pilgrim
01-31-2010, 07:20 AM
and while I'm here, who wants to start geeking out and guessing at what the hardware/software setup will actually be?

I'm gonna say two macbook pros, one running ableton, maschine, and vsts, and the second running the visual software. macbook 1 is the midi clock source for the visuals on 2.

I'm not so sure about the hardware side of it... definitely the MASCHINE controller, and perhaps the new KONTROL x1's for the VSTs and cues on ableton...
but I'm also thinking he may do both the audio and video side off a larger, full-scale console, ala underworld... gah. come on geeks, get speculating!

shakermaker113
01-31-2010, 10:31 AM
why the fuck is everything on sunday? seriously? couldn't plastikman have played saturday?

/rant. I guess we should be happy to get him at all.

sbessiso
01-31-2010, 12:29 PM
im actually really looking forward to this set, im making an effort to see at least part of it.

Mak Attack
01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm very intrigued after reading all of this. Anyone wanna point me in the right direction as far as albums to check out?

SoulDischarge
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
There's only five and they're all pretty good. I'd say start with Musik or Sheet One.

mittens4kittens
01-31-2010, 01:28 PM
come on geeks, get speculating!

this man is a mad scientist. I would not put it past him to have actually built his own console for controlling the visuals- that was the element that failed at the Mutek performance, and he's had five years to work on this... My guess is that at least one of the pieces of gear he will be using will be unique and handmade by him.

FoxeyLady
01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyone care to recommend a good 10-20 songs by Plastikman? I've never listened to him before but I am intrigued. Thanks.

boarderwoozel3
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Like SoulDischarge suggested, get Musik.

Devin the Dude
01-31-2010, 03:43 PM
this man is a mad scientist. I would not put it past him to have actually built his own console for controlling the visuals- that was the element that failed at the Mutek performance, and he's had five years to work on this... My guess is that at least one of the pieces of gear he will be using will be unique and handmade by him.

read the article on the page before. it explains his entire setup. current. <3

brando4n82
01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
looks fun. i dont think I could watch more than half his set though

boarderwoozel3
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Controlling the visuals which dictates the music and vice vera through MIDI signals eh? Over my head but it sounds fantastic.

Distorted_Jungle
01-31-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm starting to think that if he conflicts with the gorillaz i will be choosing him, just seems like this is going to be something amazing i wont want to miss.

sbessiso
01-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Controlling the visuals which dictates the music and vice vera through MIDI signals eh? Over my head but it sounds fantastic.

It sounds fucking intense!

FoxeyLady
01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm starting to think that if he conflicts with the gorillaz i will be choosing Gorillaz, just seems like this is going to be something amazing i wont want to miss.

fixed.

boarderwoozel3
01-31-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm starting to think that if he conflicts with the gorillaz i will be choosing him, just seems like this is going to be something amazing i wont want to miss.

I'm leaning that way as well. I'll certainly see a solid chunk of this anyway.

frozen pilgrim
01-31-2010, 09:17 PM
the article from the last page doesn't explain his current setup. it's about the mutek performance.

I hadn't thought about him building something himself... NI pretty much builds whatever he wants. maybe he'll have some kontrol X1's on visuals

WhatLies
02-01-2010, 01:29 AM
excuse me for my naivety but what type of scene does hawtin bring? Is it more of the E crowd, K crowd, or psychedelic?

IRSCOTT
02-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Wonderous, Simply

CrimesceneCookie
02-01-2010, 01:41 AM
excuse me for my naivety but what type of scene does hawtin bring? Is it more of the E crowd, K crowd, or psychedelic?

well check out his CD cover, should give you a pretty good indication:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kchNioB9k_0/SnBDLr4Z-1I/AAAAAAAAACY/_VCt8ZamqhI/s400/Plastikman+-+Sheet+One.jpg

fikus222
02-01-2010, 02:27 AM
so PCP?

moomoo
02-01-2010, 02:33 AM
so PCP?

haha.

I would probably cross E out and lean more towards psychedelics. can't attest cat tranquilizers though.

Distorted_Jungle
02-01-2010, 06:34 AM
well check out his CD cover, should give you a pretty good indication:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kchNioB9k_0/SnBDLr4Z-1I/AAAAAAAAACY/_VCt8ZamqhI/s400/Plastikman+-+Sheet+One.jpg

If the perferated look of it, and the name of the album don't give it away i don't know what will.

Keo345
02-01-2010, 12:04 PM
To get a good cross-section of Richie's Plastikman sound, I would listen to Sheet One (his first album) and Closer (his last). They reflect the full breadth of his sound, and also the contrasting black and white themes in his album releases (explained further below)

So I've turned several of my friends on to Plastikman, and when I send them his music, I attach the following letter, which addresses the themes behind his album releases, which is explained in full in the liner notes of Artifakts BC:

For some background – Richie Hawtin has recorded under the alias Plastikman since the early 90s, to indulge in his most weirdo fantasies. This collection is some of the most heady, tripped-out, stripped-down minimal electronic music you will ever encounter. Richie was making this shit almost fifteen years ago – long before minimal techno became the all-encompassing buzz-genre-of-choice for the post-millenium metrosexual club crowd who still needed an excuse to justify their all-weekend coke habits. While I was in high school wearing Abercrombie flannels and rocking out to Pearl Jam, Richie was throwing Plastikman parties for 5000 people in burned-out auto plants in downtown Detroit, handing out free acid on a tray to all attendees and playing for 30 straight hours. Now he owns Berlin and has lifted techno to a beyond-global level – his Plastikman collection is an archive of what got him there.

The story of the Plastikman catalog is summarized in the liner notes for Artifakts BC which I included – the first trilogy of albums is Sheet One, Musik, and Artifakts BC – all white colored albums, which reflect the more passive, ethereal sounds on the albums. The last two are Consumed and Closer – both black albums, both so evil and dirty sounding that it feels like someone is scraping your cerebellum with a rusty hanger. The Recycled Plastik album is more of a greatest hits and remixes. There is also Hawtin’s Decks, EFX, and 909 series, which I have – but, they are more of a reflection of his live sets of bangin’ techno. Those will be forthcoming. The Plastikman series is an amazing collection, meant to be listened to on headphones, or really loud on good speakers with lots of low-end bass. If you listen to any of these on a shitty system, it will sound like a cricket and a rusty bicycle and you will not get it. If you smoke a joint and listen to the series on good headphones, you will no longer consider yourself a human.

Enjoy.

guedita
02-01-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd only listened to Musik on my ex-boyfriend's computer, so I went to amoeba a few weekends back to pick up some Plastikman and it was all sold out. I'm taking that as a good sign. Time to do some online ordering.

Keo345
02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
the article from the last page doesn't explain his current setup. it's about the mutek performance.

I hadn't thought about him building something himself... NI pretty much builds whatever he wants. maybe he'll have some kontrol X1's on visuals

No one is sure what the current setup will be, because the last time he performed as Plastikman was at Mutek in 2004. He has released no information about his Plastikman live set. At Mutek in 2004 he had a custom-designed programmer/mixer to control audio and visual. So odds are he will be expanding upon that design.

He also threw a series of events last year to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of m_nus, his record label. The events were called Contakt, and had similar concepts of custom programmed and synch'ed audio and visuals, also incorporating real-time communications with the crowd.

http://www.psfk.com/2008/05/richie-hawtin-debuts-contakt-events-and-the-cube.html

People in general found "The Cube" to be a little gimmicky, but the concept of audio/visual programming that he started in the Mutek show was expanded upon.

Mak Attack
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I started listening to Musik yesterday and now I'm working my way through Sheet One. I'm quickly becoming a fan but I'm having trouble convincing my husband that we will be seeing this set over nearly anyone else on Sunday. I hope there aren't any major conflicts.

redthreat
02-01-2010, 12:39 PM
i'm very happy there's a big-name techno act this year.

hawtin was sick this year in chicago. this set will be unbelievable.

SoulDischarge
02-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Richie was throwing Plastikman parties for 5000 people in burned-out auto plants in downtown Detroit, handing out free acid on a tray to all attendees and playing for 30 straight hours.

I was born in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Distorted_Jungle
02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
To get a good cross-section of Richie's Plastikman sound, I would listen to Sheet One (his first album) and Closer (his last). They reflect the full breadth of his sound, and also the contrasting black and white themes in his album releases (explained further below)

So I've turned several of my friends on to Plastikman, and when I send them his music, I attach the following letter, which addresses the themes behind his album releases, which is explained in full in the liner notes of Artifakts BC:

For some background – Richie Hawtin has recorded under the alias Plastikman since the early 90s, to indulge in his most weirdo fantasies. This collection is some of the most heady, tripped-out, stripped-down minimal electronic music you will ever encounter. Richie was making this shit almost fifteen years ago – long before minimal techno became the all-encompassing buzz-genre-of-choice for the post-millenium metrosexual club crowd who still needed an excuse to justify their all-weekend coke habits. While I was in high school wearing Abercrombie flannels and rocking out to Pearl Jam, Richie was throwing Plastikman parties for 5000 people in burned-out auto plants in downtown Detroit, handing out free acid on a tray to all attendees and playing for 30 straight hours. Now he owns Berlin and has lifted techno to a beyond-global level – his Plastikman collection is an archive of what got him there.

The story of the Plastikman catalog is summarized in the liner notes for Artifakts BC which I included – the first trilogy of albums is Sheet One, Musik, and Artifakts BC – all white colored albums, which reflect the more passive, ethereal sounds on the albums. The last two are Consumed and Closer – both black albums, both so evil and dirty sounding that it feels like someone is scraping your cerebellum with a rusty hanger. The Recycled Plastik album is more of a greatest hits and remixes. There is also Hawtin’s Decks, EFX, and 909 series, which I have – but, they are more of a reflection of his live sets of bangin’ techno. Those will be forthcoming. The Plastikman series is an amazing collection, meant to be listened to on headphones, or really loud on good speakers with lots of low-end bass. If you listen to any of these on a shitty system, it will sound like a cricket and a rusty bicycle and you will not get it. If you smoke a joint and listen to the series on good headphones, you will no longer consider yourself a human.

Enjoy.

Every time you post about Plastikman it just gets me that much more amped for it, and making me realize more and more that i will most likely have to see him over Gorillaz if it comes to that. I have a feeling i will get to see both while Infected Mushroom closes the Sahara durring Gorillaz, but we shall see what happens.

EDIT: I was just on yahoo and there was an article about Pakistan, as excited as i am for this i thought it said Plastikman and tripped out he was on Yahoo's home page, then came to realize i need it to be April already so things like that stop happening.

Keo345
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Here's a great technical description of what Richie tried to do the last go-around at Mutek for the DJ-gearheads out there, which I am not:

http://www.rhythmism.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5712

Windsor, ON May 13, 2004 — Up until now, Richie Hawtin and his production team for the Plastikman Live show at Mutek 2004 have kept a very tight lid on the technology being developed for the show. They have begun lifting the curtain on a set of technological advances that will alter the course of how electronic music can be performed in a live scenario. The performance will involve Hawtin’s manipulation and control of multiple tracks of digital and analog audio, real time generation of a High Definition (HD) visual system, drum machines, synthesizers, effects and lights.

The Show/The Festival
The event will take place June 4, 2004 in Montreal, Canada as part of this year’s Mutek festival (www.mutek.ca). It will be the first live performance of Plastikman material since 1995. The performances from that era, Glastonbury, the Fuk tour, etc, have gone down in the annals of electronic music history.

The Music
Hawtin has resampled and re-arranged all of the Plastikman material dating back to the first Plastikman release, Sheet One (Plus 8/Novamute) from 1993. The entire catalogue is going to be reworked and performed live on stage, using a combination of classic machines and new software to meld old and new material into unique improvised mixes. Working in the studio, Hawtin has experimented with combinations of classic Plastikman material from Musik (Plus 8/Novamute), Consumed (Minus/Novamute), along with the new material from Closer (Minus/Novamute/Paperbag).

The Gear
Hawtin has designed and built an entirely custom MIDI controller incorporating the features and power of 5 MIDI devices into one. This unit, the CTRL LIVE, will give Hawtin full real-time control over 128 parameters of audio, video, lighting, and effects simultaneously.

For additional MIDI control, Hawtin will use an unreleased surface controller developed by Tactex. The units use the same technology the company developed for the Canadian Space Arm.

The MIDI system will work with one Apple G5 audio computer, as well as two massive, industrial custom-built 3D graphics and video PCs, multiple drum machines, analog and digital synthesizers and a host of analog and digital effects units. Hawtin will mix all audio using two Allen & Heath 14x4x2 Mix Wizards on stage.

The Software
Several of the most advanced performance-software developers have created breakthrough features in their software for the Plastikman show.

Ableton has created a special MIDI output feature in their nearly ubiquitous Live program that allows Hawtin to send detailed data to every connected instrument, locking every element together to a degree that had previously been unavailable. New features in Ableton Live also allow Hawtin to navigate his compositions through the CTRL LIVE device with amazing speed and dexterity.

Toronto-based Derivative has developed a custom-designed real-time animation and video sequencing environment for the Plastikman performance. Using their Touch software, Derivative has also programmed MIDI sync modules to lock the visual effects to Ableton Live, as well as custom software interface for the CTRL LIVE control surface.

The Images
Touch will synthesize real-time generative High Definition (HD) quality moving images. The material has been developed in collaboration with an international team of video artists, designers and animators. Ali Mahmut Demirel, who directed the video for Plastikman’s “Disconnect” single, based in Ankara, Turkey has shot hours of new material to be used in Touch. Crush Inc, based in Toronto, has designed 3D animations, and motion graphics. Honest, based in New York City has developed morphing graphics, video images and more. Jeffers Egan has developed real-time video environments and moving images.

And here are reviews of the Mutek show:

http://www.rhythmism.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6745.html

Keo345
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Every time you post about Plastikman it just gets me that much more amped for it, and making me realize more and more that i will most likely have to see him over Gorillaz if it comes to that. I have a feeling i will get to see both while Infected Mushroom closes the Sahara durring Gorillaz, but we shall see what happens.

I am as amped as you are bro! It is incredible to even try and conceptualize what he is going to try and do. And no one truly knows what he is going to do. But you can count on him pushing the boundaries of what we thought possible, because that is what he always does, particularly with Plastikman. And to think of a rammed Sahara in complete freakout mode, with that level of sound and visuals for him to play with - it is going to be one of those rare, unforgettable and impossible-to-replicate Coachella sets that happen only there.

And yes, Green Velvet live at Coachella would be incredible - saw him live at Crobar in Chicago back in 2000 or 2001, absolutely unreal

Distorted_Jungle
02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I am as amped as you are bro! It is incredible to even try and conceptualize what he is going to try and do. And no one truly knows what he is going to do. But you can count on him pushing the boundaries of what we thought possible, because that is what he always does, particularly with Plastikman. And to think of a rammed Sahara in complete freakout mode, with that level of sound and visuals for him to play with - it is going to be one of those rare, unforgettable and impossible-to-replicate Coachella sets that happen only there.

And yes, Green Velvet live at Coachella would be incredible - saw him live at Crobar in Chicago back in 2000 or 2001, absolutely unreal

His performance will pretty much be the best set of the entire weekend.

I saw Green Velvet live for the first time in September this past year, completely blew me away with what he did on stage. If Green Velvet Live was on the line up for sunday and his set went into Plastikman Live, it would have probably been the most amazing night of my life, only in a perfect world would that ever happen.

Devin the Dude
02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
http://hypereall.com/images/acid/lsd_blotter_ap_plastikman.jpg

Distorted_Jungle
02-03-2010, 01:47 PM
http://hypereall.com/images/acid/lsd_blotter_ap_plastikman.jpg

How great would it be to be able to find those right now haha, perfection

Devin the Dude
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
i'm pretty sure there are tons of blotter sites if anyone was planning on dosing a vial this year..

Devin the Dude
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
by the way DJ, when will PAW next see you and your wife? oodles of fun chit-chatting in that line for 3 hours, let's go to a REAL show homie!

Distorted_Jungle
02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
haha, I will most likely be at Deep this sunday with Feather. My funds are kind of on reserve for Coachella at the moment, gotta pay for the condo and what not, but i will probably try and make it out for the James Zabiela show next month though, i've been wanting to see him for a while.

Devin the Dude
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
sickness. maybe i'll make it out to Deep if i can. otherwise, Zabiela ftw it is sir!

Scary Larry
02-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Keo, I gotta hand it to you, your stories are very well written. I go to DEMF almost every year and always have held out hope he would take a short break from doing his dj thing and get back to doing Plastikman stuff. It has always been one of my wishes to see Plastikman Live. Now I finally get to see it and there is no chance in hell I am going to miss it...no matter what it conflicts with.

I am also envious you gotta witness shows at the Packard Plant by the sounds of it, legendary shows took place there no question. I love the old, grimy places in that city during memorial weekend where you can go for after parties. The Works and The Book Tower for me are personal favs of mine.

Devin the Dude
02-07-2010, 11:53 AM
So, I've listened through most of his discography and I'm not impressed at all. Listened to the Live @ Babylon recording too and found myself bored. I hope his show is more interested. Sounds like it will be.

nothernexposure
02-07-2010, 01:00 PM
this is one of my most anticipated acts out of all the coachellas i've been to. hopefully he still get down and dirty with some good ol' minimal though

summerkid
02-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Qj4wPEaJrjU

great video explaining what he was trying to do and what went wrong at mutetek

boarderwoozel3
02-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Hopefully he has the visuals dialed in this time around.

Even with crummy camera audio, this sounds like 'do not miss' material. So excited for this set.

gooftroop
02-08-2010, 01:02 AM
One of my top finds of the year, why does he have to be on Sunday though? Too many must see acts that day, there's no way I will be able to skip Thom Yorke, Pavement, or Gorillaz. If I can see Orbital at least I'll be happy, but this just looks so damn awesome!

erselone
02-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Damn guedita....you nailed it with that vid!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Riot Nrrrd™
02-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Hopefully he has the visuals dialed in this time around.

Even with crummy camera audio, this sounds like 'do not miss' material. So excited for this set.

This isn't Plastikman, it's Rich doing a DJ set at the DEMF back in 2007. (I was just off-camera on the far right)

Other than the Mutek debacle you'd be hard-pressed to find footage of Rich playing live as Plastikman.

mittens4kittens
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm incredibly stoked for Orbital, but I'm more stoked for this.

boarderwoozel3
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
This isn't Plastikman, it's Rich doing a DJ set at the DEMF back in 2007. (I was just off-camera on the far right)

Other than the Mutek debacle you'd be hard-pressed to find footage of Rich playing live as Plastikman.

Woops. Thanks for the clarification.

sportsbunny
02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I was supposed to see him perform as Plastikman in '94 at the Desert Move in Vegas but he got stopped at the border and wasn't able to play in the States for a while after that either live or as a DJ. I've seen him DJ since then plenty and always loved it but I've been waiting 16 years for Plastikman, so there's no question where I'll be on Sunday Apr 18!

Scary Larry
02-08-2010, 08:14 PM
A little update for you all...

http://www.m-nus.com/#news.pl?id=318;Middle

Not that I needed any more motivation to see this, but I can't wait to witness this. This set will be a absolute blinder.

boarderwoozel3
02-08-2010, 08:17 PM
the text:

Richie Hawtin returns with one of the most referenced electronic music monikers in dance music... PLASTIKMAN.

Hawtin will unleash a live electronic performance that takes his mastery of technology to the next level, incorporating state of the art visual architecture, interactive technology, and more to be revealed in this return of one of the founders of modern electronic music. Plastikman Live will be debuted at this year's Timewarp festival on March 27th, 2010 - the first in a series of hand-picked dates that will form the first ever Plastikman Live world tour.

The new show evolves from the previous Plastikman live performance at Canada's Mutek festival in 2004, by continuing to explore the connection between visual, audio and interactivity, and once again partnering visual architects Derivative alongside visual designer Ali Demirel. Building upon everything learned from the Hawtin/Demirel Timewarp shows of 2005-2007 and 2008's Contakt multimedia events, Plastikman Live condenses all of these elements into a new highly concentrated one-hour experience.

Reinterpreting the 18 year history of Hawtin's Plastikman material, Plastikman Live moves from the acidic atmospheres of 'Sheet One' to the disorienting funk of 'Musik', to the nostalgic moments of 'Artifakts', through the depths of 'Consumed' and into the darkness of 'Closer'; everything re-imagined through the capabilities of modern technology.

Recapturing the spirit of the early Plastikman albums and parties in Detroit, Plastikman Live is a fusion of the past and future, the visual and audible, between performer and audience, of expectations and anticipation; creating the ultimate Plastikman experience.

"It has always fascinated me how sound, lighting, visuals and human interactivity define and deepen a concert experience By focusing on my own unique Plastikman sound I hope to find new freedom and explore the extremes of where these elements converge, challenging our senses, stimulating our memories, and creating an experience of physical and mental intensity that can be only Plastikman.| - Richie Hawtin, January 2010

Next stop: Coachella. Stay tuned for full tour schedule.

Flowery language aside, I'm so ready for this.

WhyTheLongFace
02-08-2010, 08:34 PM
This sounds like 2010's Throbbing Gristle. Congrats to those who are excited. I'm good.

Geno_g
02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I really hope for no Pavement or Gorillaz conflict with Plastikman

Distorted_Jungle
02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
This sounds like 2010's Throbbing Gristle. Congrats to those who are excited. I'm good.

Musically they are worlds apart, how do you see Plastikman as this years throbbing gristle? Just curious, i just don't see how those acts can be compared.

WhyTheLongFace
02-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Musically they are worlds apart, how do you see Plastikman as this years throbbing gristle? Just curious, i just don't see how those acts can be compared.

Experimental weird non conventional electronic music that isn't very popular in the mainstream but has a strong cult following and is a rare act.

boarderwoozel3
02-08-2010, 10:44 PM
It's harder minimal techno with what sounds like one hell of a cutting edge production setup.

rileyprime
02-09-2010, 06:31 AM
www.plastikman.com

rileyprime
02-09-2010, 06:33 AM
http://www.derivative.ca/Plastikman/

Distorted_Jungle
02-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Experimental weird non conventional electronic music that isn't very popular in the mainstream but has a strong cult following and is a rare act.

I guess i can see where you're coming from, i still think they are worlds apart in the style of music they produce. Hawtin is also a big name in dance music scene, the moniker of Plastikman might not be as known as Richie Hawtin, but it's still Richie Hawtin.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-09-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm officially pumped up for this.

sbessiso
02-09-2010, 06:55 AM
you dont need me to pump you up anymore?

Devin the Dude
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I just don't know if I could justify missing Gorillaz for this.. He better be good, because I probably will if there's any piece of a conflict.

HAMMERHEAD
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
im hoping for a pavement conflict, i'm really interested in checking this out. not super familiar with his stuff but it sounds like its gonna be a fucking spectacle.

i'm starting to realize sunday is gonna be rough with evening conflicts : /

digitaldragon03
02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
www.plastikman.com
Confirmed for 1 hour then.

"Plastikman Live condenses all of these elements into a new highly concentrated one-hour experience"

guedita
02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
One hour of physical and mental intensity!

Distorted_Jungle
02-09-2010, 02:12 PM
One hour of physical and mental insanity!

Fixed, or at least for me.

guedita
02-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Intense insanity

travolta
02-09-2010, 02:19 PM
kind of surprised that it is only an hour but still stoked regardless....

SoulDischarge
02-09-2010, 02:22 PM
He might not even get that.

guedita
02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Well he's not getting anything less than 50 minutes. I'm pretty sure if he's planning on the Plastikman set to be a one hour experience, GV will let it be just that.

Gribbz
02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I like Plastikman, but why would he get more than one hour?

travolta
02-09-2010, 02:25 PM
He might not even get that.

yeah i figured @ coach would be one thing but it seems like the show is an hour regardless of the venue. i would of expected him to go longer and deeper at a small more intimate venue but who knows...

L_gic
02-10-2010, 12:09 AM
One hour of physical and mental intensity!

Agreed!

buymarshon
02-10-2010, 01:05 AM
bummer only 1 hr

beolshika
02-10-2010, 06:47 AM
I like Plastikman, but why would he get more than one hour?

I saw richie hawtin this past november at MINUS night in Amsterdam. he played from 3 until 8... and it was the most unbelievable musical experience of my life... even surpassing my front row coachella daft punk experience... which is now my second favorite experience. i would have sworn that would never happen. i am so jealous,... but its true... one hour is kinda skimpy when it comes to the full mind blowing potential that is richie hawtin. i'm excited that plastikman will be coming back to amsterdam... because i'm sure here he will get his 4 hours. i'm still jealous though.

guedita
02-10-2010, 09:18 AM
I saw richie hawtin this past november at MINUS night in Amsterdam. he played from 3 until 8... and it was the most unbelievable musical experience of my life... even surpassing my front row coachella daft punk experience... which is now my second favorite experience. i would have sworn that would never happen. i am so jealous,... but its true... one hour is kinda skimpy when it comes to the full mind blowing potential that is richie hawtin. i'm excited that plastikman will be coming back to amsterdam... because i'm sure here he will get his 4 hours. i'm still jealous though.

Plastikman should play at Paradiso.

Keo345
02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
the text:
Richie Hawtin returns with one of the most referenced electronic music monikers in dance music... PLASTIKMAN.

Hawtin will unleash a live electronic performance that takes his mastery of technology to the next level, incorporating state of the art visual architecture, interactive technology, and more to be revealed in this return of one of the founders of modern electronic music. Plastikman Live will be debuted at this year's Timewarp festival on March 27th, 2010 - the first in a series of hand-picked dates that will form the first ever Plastikman Live world tour.

The new show evolves from the previous Plastikman live performance at Canada's Mutek festival in 2004, by continuing to explore the connection between visual, audio and interactivity, and once again partnering visual architects Derivative alongside visual designer Ali Demirel. Building upon everything learned from the Hawtin/Demirel Timewarp shows of 2005-2007 and 2008's Contakt multimedia events, Plastikman Live condenses all of these elements into a new highly concentrated one-hour experience.

Reinterpreting the 18 year history of Hawtin's Plastikman material, Plastikman Live moves from the acidic atmospheres of 'Sheet One' to the disorienting funk of 'Musik', to the nostalgic moments of 'Artifakts', through the depths of 'Consumed' and into the darkness of 'Closer'; everything re-imagined through the capabilities of modern technology.

Recapturing the spirit of the early Plastikman albums and parties in Detroit, Plastikman Live is a fusion of the past and future, the visual and audible, between performer and audience, of expectations and anticipation; creating the ultimate Plastikman experience.

"It has always fascinated me how sound, lighting, visuals and human interactivity define and deepen a concert experience By focusing on my own unique Plastikman sound I hope to find new freedom and explore the extremes of where these elements converge, challenging our senses, stimulating our memories, and creating an experience of physical and mental intensity that can be only Plastikman.| - Richie Hawtin, January 2010

Next stop: Coachella. Stay tuned for full tour schedule.

Flowery language aside, I'm so ready for this.

This just made my fucking hair stand up on end.

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keo345
02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
yeah i figured @ coach would be one thing but it seems like the show is an hour regardless of the venue. i would of expected him to go longer and deeper at a small more intimate venue but who knows...

Live sets/PAs in electronic music rarely, if ever, go longer than 90 minutes. It is too exhausting a process to push longer than that - they are creating all that music live on the fly - in this case, he is creating audio and visual live. So 60 minutes seems like the perfect length. Coachella is the perfect format for this reason!

Scary Larry
02-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Wish it was longer than an hour, but I am not going to bitch by any means at all. Without question, this will be an insane, mindbending 60 minutes.

rileyprime
02-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Fuck yes - Detroit show added.

Plastikman at home in the birthplace of techno

www.plastikman.com

Mr. Dylanja
02-25-2010, 12:23 PM
I've come to terms with it and I will see Plastikman > Thom Yorke if it comes down to it. Just not Gorillaz.

boarderwoozel3
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
From Facebook:

Plastikman (official page) Just about to take a quick nap next to the Timewarp venue... We've got the next 36 hours to do our first full equipment, lighting, LED, interactive test rehearsal for PM Live! Let's see how it goes! ... One month to go....

!!!

sbessiso
02-28-2010, 05:06 PM
I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THAT

his fb makes me excited

Distorted_Jungle
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
From Facebook:

Plastikman (official page) Just about to take a quick nap next to the Timewarp venue... We've got the next 36 hours to do our first full equipment, lighting, LED, interactive test rehearsal for PM Live! Let's see how it goes! ... One month to go....

!!!

Damn, I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Mordecai
02-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Excitement!

Sublime
03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Been jammin out to Plastikman all day long!! Transitions

matsuolost
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
the text:

sounds like the glow in the dark announcement

Scary Larry
03-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Been jammin out to Plastikman all day long!! Transitions

Not to sound like a jerk at all, but Transitions is a Richie Hawtin album, not Plastikman.

Plastikman is COMPLETELY different from Richie Hawtin. To those not in the know that are going into the Sahara on Sunday expecting to hear a Richie Hawtin set, your going to be disappointed. There could not be more of a vast difference between the two monikers.

That said, a Plastikman set is something special and it is going to be amazing. As a huge fan through the years I have been waiting for a chance to witness a Plastikman set for a decade.

It's not by accident you can't find a Plastikman set to download that is under 10 years old. Simply put, they don't exist because he rarely plays under that name.

Aurgasm
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
he's going to tour the fuck out of Plastikman this year.

psychoc&ndy
03-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Not to sound like a jerk at all, but Transitions is a Richie Hawtin album, not Plastikman.

Plastikman is COMPLETELY different from Richie Hawtin. To those not in the know that are going into the Sahara on Sunday expecting to hear a Richie Hawtin set, your going to be disappointed. There could not be more of a vast difference between the two monikers.

That said, a Plastikman set is something special and it is going to be amazing. As a huge fan through the years I have been waiting for a chance to witness a Plastikman set for a decade.

It's not by accident you can't find a Plastikman set to download that is under 10 years old. Simply put, they don't exist because he rarely plays under that name.

i understand there is a difference, but what exactly is it? isn't the plastikman stuff more chilled/abstract and darker than what he usually spins as himself?

Distorted_Jungle
03-04-2010, 09:46 PM
i understand there is a difference, but what exactly is it? isn't the plastikman stuff more chilled/abstract and darker than what he usually spins as himself?

Everything you said is accurate. Platikman is just the moniker he uses to do most of his experimental minimal techno, everything that is outside the box.

boarderwoozel3
03-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Wow.... !

RICHIE HAWTIN and DERIVATIVE LAUNCH PLASTIKMAN LIVE VISUAL CONTEST
(http://www.derivative.ca/Plastikman/)

http://www.derivative.ca/Plastikman/Images/SLOWPOKE.jpg

Richie Hawtin in collaboration with Derivative would like to announce a hugely exciting new contest inviting you to create your own animations to original Plastikman tracks using TouchDesigner, the technology that drove the visual element of the influential Mutek performance in 2004. Winning entries are for inclusion in an upcoming Plastikman live show!

The Mutek performance saw Richie at the helm orchestrating massive sound and visual compositions that could drive and define each other generatively and in real time transforming the course of how electronic music could be performed and experienced live.

Richie's artistic vision and organizational genius prompted some of the most progressive performance-software developers to produce breakthrough features in their products for the Plastikman show.

Hawtin and Derivative have now packaged and made available for download these powerful tools along with 4 Plastikman tracks to enable everyone with the same capabilities to produce their own visuals in a real-time generative environment.

WHAT YOU NEED:

Derivative’s TouchDesigner only runs on PC or Boot Camp, with this configuration or better:

Windows 7, Windows Vista SP1 or Windows XP SP2. On Mac hardware Boot Camp only (no emulators).

NVIDIA Geforce 7800. No ATI or Intel graphics. TouchDesigner uses advanced features of OpenGL to maximize performance. And you need the most recent NVIDIA graphics driver.

512 MB Graphics Memory minimum on the graphics card

no OSX, sorry. We wil be releasing OSX TouchDesigner this year.

WHAT YOU GET:

TouchDesigner FTE is free to download

The Plastikman Visuals Kit (PVK), also free to download, includes:

Complete Plastikman visuals setup environment for Slowpoke as performed at MUTEK 2004 and rebuilt in TouchDesigner 077. See how the visual was constructed and unfolds for the entire track. (For investigation and inspiration.)

Three original Plastikman tracks with the environments already set up and ready for you to work in and make your own visuals.

The live video recording of Slowpoke as performed at MUTEK 2004

Plastikman Visuals Forum and access to Derivative support team

Plastikman Visuals Tech Page includes:

A Video Overview of the PVK to watch and learn from.

specifications / guidance / documentation / instruction / background.

Plastikman vids available @ www.Plastikman.com

WHAT YOU DO:

Register >

Download and install TouchDesigner FTE Experimental >

Download and unzip the Plastikman Visuals Kit (rev 2) - It provides four different environments, one environment for each of three music track plus the Slowpoke example environment. All three tracks are set up to respond to a simulated Ableton Live set of controls and waveforms. >

YOUR PART is to make original generative Plastikman-based animation constructed on the live data or the environment set up for this, i.e: put in video, stills, generate 2D and 3D artistry with the infinite capabilities made possible by TouchDesigner. >

Send to Derivative or to our forum. Our tech support will assist. >
Deadline: March 14, 2010

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are submitting your work to the Plastikman Live 2010 Visual Contest please only post this work on the Derivative Forum until winning entries have been announced.

WHAT YOU WIN (NOTE that new prizes have been added!):

Winning entries are for inclusion in an upcoming PLASTIKMAN SHOW and the top THREE contest winners will each get TouchDesigner Pro licenses (value $2200 US each).

New: The 1st prize will be travel costs for one to Plastikman 2010 with backstage access.
New: Runner up prizes: We have a crate of Richie Hawtin/Plastikman/Minus material!

Get busy and stay tuned for more contest details and prize announcements.

boarderwoozel3
03-16-2010, 01:56 AM
Anticipation!

0AkJEOsDyV0

MtJzjc_ff78

shakermaker113
03-16-2010, 09:08 AM
woah.

Aurgasm
03-16-2010, 09:20 AM
did you see his fb status yesterday? Apparently he's got everything working FINALLY:

After months of work things are coming into alignment... Delay times have been re-discovered, tuning maps remade, and everything modernized... there is life in the machines... the dynamics run free.

oh and today (horray iPhone owners!):

After a lot of testing and development with Rob and Bryan, the SYNK App was delivered for review to the iPhone App store last night...

audidude
03-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Great news! So stoked for this!

BrettShipes
03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Via Facebook:

Viewers of the show will experience a unique integration of audio, visuals and interactive technology, which now includes a customized iPhone/iPod Touch application called Plastikman SYNK.

Conceptualized by Richie Hawtin and developed with Rob Fischer (http://hexler.net) (http://hexler.net) and Bryan McDade (Minus), SYNK is the official companion iPhone/iPod Touch application of the 2010 Plastikman Live worldwide tour. SYNK users will participate in an experiment in audience-performer interaction aiming to blur the lines of perception and participation.

“It has always fascinated me how sound, lighting, visuals and human interactivity define and deepen a concert experience. By focusing on my own unique Plastikman sound I hope to find new freedom and explore the extremes of where these elements converge, challenging our senses, stimulating our memories, and creating an experience of physical and mental intensity that can be only Plastikman.” – Richie Hawtin, January 2010

Live performance interaction components include:

LOGIKAL
Based upon earlier "Lodgikal Nonsense" and "Vokx" voice tracks, this state invites the audience to re-organize the word samples using a user interface of 20 touch buttons. In this state the centre of performance control is moved from the stage and into the audience.

KAMERA
This state is accessible throughout the show and gives users a live video stream of an internal perspective of the performance.

SYNKOTIK
This state explores the synkronicity of realtime-generated percussion patterns and their visual counterparts, integrating the stage LED wall and the built in displays on each SYNK activated iPhone/iPod Touch.

KONSOLE
This state is active during the entire show with realtime performance information. At specific moments an extended Konsole state becomes activated, allowing further insight into the realtime programming of the performance’s drum and percussive elements, while also providing visual feedback of musical and effect parameters. A simplified remote Konsole is available to all SYNK users worldwide and will be activated during all Plastikman Live performances.

Participants should connect to the Plastikman Wi-Fi network at each peformance and will be notified of the activation of the different states by their iPhone/iPod Touch at specific moments during the show.

The SYNK experience will not be limited to viewers of the live show. In between the performances the SYNK application will be in sleeper mode and function as a Plastikman atmospheric location shifter. By using visualizations inspired by Derivative, combined with the iPhone’s built-in microphone and accelerometer, users are immersed in a Plastikman environment. For best results, please use headphones.

SYNK is available now in the iTunes App Store
Compatible with iPhone or iPod touch. Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-18-2010, 11:14 AM
hawtin is such an insane evil genius nerd, I love it

Distorted_Jungle
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
So what exactly will this app do? i don't own an iphone but am curious to how this app will effect the show exactly, sounds really interesting.

higgybaby23
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
In a perfect world, the Plastikman set would be on Saturday night(opposite Tiesto) instead of on super-conflicted-cluster-fuck Sunday night.

Time to make some big boy choices...

guedita
03-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't know how I feel about the i-phone involvement...I just don't want to be in a crowd full of people dancing with their i-phones out.

higgybaby23
03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
^Good point. The last couple of years have gotten ridiculous with the amount of people taking pics and/or filming. I like to take pics too, but always try to keep my camera down so as not to intrude on everyone else's view. If you are more worried about messing around with some electronic device instead of raving hard, you are doing it wrong.

Hopefully Richie is taking this into account. He seems to be a pretty thorough guy.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't know how I feel about the i-phone involvement...I just don't want to be in a crowd full of people dancing with their i-phones out.

this is some next level shit.

Distorted_Jungle
03-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I just hope it's not some way for others to control his visuals and not him, i don't want some lame on his iPhone messing with my visual journey that night.

guedita
03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I just hope it's not some way for others to control his visuals and not him, i don't want some lame on his iPhone messing with my visual journey that night.

Even better point.

boarderwoozel3
03-18-2010, 11:51 AM
this is some next level shit.
No kidding. This single-handedly makes me want to buy an iPhone.

Naw, it sounds like the equivalent of a real time DJ box score.

Aurgasm
03-18-2010, 11:54 AM
So what exactly will this app do? i don't own an iphone but am curious to how this app will effect the show exactly, sounds really interesting.

Dude. Read the description!

Granted its not spelled out for you...but COME ON!

The app enables users to adjust various inputs depending what 'state' (function) is activated. For instance... when Plastikman enables Synktonik, users can re arrange LED patterns or Konsole which remains constantly active, allowing users to basically see a visual representation of the beat and other musical elements.

Obviously nobody knows how its going to effect the show. I hear his MUTEK set last year was a disaster.. I'm hoping this works well. Dl'ing app now. 8^)

Aurgasm
03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I love these new iPhone apps. My favorite band app by far is the iDrum Underworld Edition. Recently heard they are going to expand it. Here's a quick look:

fix_rNOZlBM

guedita
03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Ugh...so it does mean people will be looking at their i-phones throughout the set. I hate that.

boarderwoozel3
03-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Any excuse to bring up UW, I approve.

More to the point, a perfectionist like Ritchie Hawtin obviously isn't going to let a bunch of e-tards like us control the machinery it took that many years, man hours and money to perfect.

boarderwoozel3
03-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Ugh...so it does mean people will be looking at their i-phones throughout the set. I hate that.

A few more people, sure, but I doubt it'll be that noticeable.

guedita
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
True. I just like to encourage the idea of music festivals being a place for people to be removed from their technological binkies.

boarderwoozel3
03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I think you've just discovered a rave app, iBinkie.

Aurgasm
03-18-2010, 12:09 PM

True. I just like to encourage the idea of music festivals being a place for people to be removed from their technological binkies.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/uncle-sam/images/stop-whining.jpg

guedita
03-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I'll keep my complaining to a minimum only because it's Plursday and boarderwoozel and I will soon be millionaires thanks to the i-binkie.

Plastikman Love:

SFvhxRcfER8

Aurgasm
03-18-2010, 12:21 PM
poser

guedita
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Excuse me?

Aurgasm
03-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Excuse me?

oh shit, I've angered her...
http://www.dardansoftware.com/Escape_Pod_files/EscapePodLarge.png

guedita
03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm not angry, just confused about why you consider me to be a poser. Or what I'm posing as.

Aurgasm
03-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Have you ever heard anyone use the word poser since middle school, guedita?

I was joking.

guedita
03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Gotcha...middle school is definitely the last time I heard it :)

Trick Loves The Kids
03-18-2010, 01:07 PM
iphones = lights, you should be all about this

Aurgasm
03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I've got it downloaded. It has no offline functions.

Cant wait to see a demo.

(and Guedita, i was just giving you a hard time, sorry 8^) )

digitaldragon03
03-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Marry me?

amyzzz
03-18-2010, 02:42 PM
wish they'd offer this app for other smart phones....

Grant
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Do you mean the Coachella app? I think I saw the Coachella twitter tweet back to somebody that an Android app could be in the works

amyzzz
03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
That doesn't help me, and no. Look back to the previous page.

Professor Null
03-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Anticipation!
MtJzjc_ff78

Brilliant track thanks for the memories boarderwoozel3. Haven't seen Ritchie since 1999 with the Decks, EFX & 909 tour so looking forward to this one big time.

guedita
03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
I've got it downloaded. It has no offline functions.

Cant wait to see a demo.

(and Guedita, i was just giving you a hard time, sorry 8^) )

It's all good. :thu

Marry me?

Oh yeah, on the dance floor. I seriously think there's going to be a great crowd for Plastikman...can't wait!

Trillis
03-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Brilliant track thanks for the memories boarderwoozel3. Haven't seen Ritchie since 1999 with the Decks, EFX & 909 tour so looking forward to this one big time.

This.

Keo345
03-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Fuck yes - Detroit show added.

Plastikman at home in the birthplace of techno

www.plastikman.com

Yep - Plastikman live at Movement! Unreal!! First time he has performed as Plastikman in Detroit since 1994!!!

I saw Richie at DEMF 2002 (Movement was formerly Detroit Electronic Music Festival) at his first Control afterparty - played in a vampire club (City Club) downtown, went on at 3:30AM, played for 10 fucking HOURS - yes until 1:30PM the next day. It was before he really started implementing "minimal" into his sets, back when he was still all about the aural techno assault - by far the hardest, darkest, most abusive set of techno I have ever experienced, and it just did not stop!!! The whole club was pitch black, except for a deep blue light behind the decks - and, he would intermittently light *fireworks* off in the club over our heads - no bullshit (keep in mind this was downtown Detroit at 5 in the morning, so fire codes and such did not apply, LOL) I thought I was witnessing the apocalypse!!!

That was my first time seeing Richie - it took things to a level of performance I've never experienced before in my life, and probably never will again!!

...until NOW!!

boarderwoozel3
03-23-2010, 09:53 PM
I love love love this logo.
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/Plastikman_canadian_design1.jpg

Cdubby
03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
reminds me of ICP

Trick Loves The Kids
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Yep - Plastikman live at Movement! Unreal!! First time he has performed as Plastikman in Detroit since 1994!!!

I saw Richie at DEMF 2002 (Movement was formerly Detroit Electronic Music Festival) at his first Control afterparty - played in a vampire club (City Club) downtown, went on at 3:30AM, played for 10 fucking HOURS - yes until 1:30PM the next day. It was before he really started implementing "minimal" into his sets, back when he was still all about the aural techno assault - by far the hardest, darkest, most abusive set of techno I have ever experienced, and it just did not stop!!! The whole club was pitch black, except for a deep blue light behind the decks - and, he would intermittently light *fireworks* off in the club over our heads - no bullshit (keep in mind this was downtown Detroit at 5 in the morning, so fire codes and such did not apply, LOL) I thought I was witnessing the apocalypse!!!

That was my first time seeing Richie - it took things to a level of performance I've never experienced before in my life, and probably never will again!!

...until NOW!!

I love reading stories like this!

boarderwoozel3
03-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Dammit, dubby. Don't ruin a good thing here.

I love reading stories like this!

No kidding. That sounds otherworldly.

Stackamynutz
03-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Yet another amazing thing I've found out about because of Coachella. I've picked up Sheet One, Musik, and a 3-track CD called Disconnect and I totally dig 'em smacks. Reading all this about his live stuff is getting me extra pumped and has me at a very moral conflict about Gorillaz. I'm going to not stress about it until they release the set times, but I totally hope there's like an hour gap between the two of them. Pilgrim's asking for Plastikman at 8:30 and Gorillaz at 10:30 would be perfect - PLEASE TAKE NOTE GOLDENVOICE.

boarderwoozel3
03-24-2010, 12:12 AM
ITCX4_H6WUA&NR

ELECtROjan
03-24-2010, 12:37 AM
that video and song did nothing for me jeff. anything better?

Mr. Dylanja
03-24-2010, 01:02 AM
If Jeff doesn't do anything for you then you must be straight, F@g.

rileyprime
03-24-2010, 06:30 AM

...until NOW!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/452066950_8485fb9674.jpg?v=0

the CNTRL parties are legendary in Detroit - as are the ones in the 90's that Richie threw when he was based out of Windsor (across the river).

Im sure the Coachella show will be great - but i would MUCH rather see Rich bring Plastikman home, where he belongs, in Detroit.

Its going to be simply epic.

Distorted_Jungle
03-24-2010, 06:42 AM

the CNTRL parties are legendary in Detroit - as are the ones in the 90's that Richie threw when he was based out of Windsor (across the river).

Im sure the Coachella show will be great - but i would MUCH rather see Rich bring Plastikman home, where he belongs, in Detroit.

Its going to be simply epic.

I would say the FIRST show since 2004, and the FIRST show with the visual aspect of it working the entire time will be far more epic. By the time he plays Detroit everyone will know exactly what to expect, and know exactly what's going to happen. The great thing about the Coachella set is it's almost a complete mystery, sure there is a lot of info on it in this thread, but the fact remains that nobody really knows what's going to be happening in the tent that night. So you can have your Detroit set in the home of Plastikman, but i MUCH rather see his very FIRST set back as Plastikman. Think Daft Punk, i know they are completely different, but what made the Daft Punk set so special was it being the first in years and the mystery behind it, and this set is along those lines.

rileyprime
03-24-2010, 06:44 AM
first show is at timewarp this weekend yo

http://www.time-warp.de/content/e2/e17/index_ger.html

Distorted_Jungle
03-24-2010, 07:03 AM
DAMNIT! I was all wrong, but he's already said he is playing an hour long set on this tour so it will be the same thing at all the shows and i rather be in the Sahara than in Detroit. I can see why you would rather see it in Detroit, but there is no place better for me to see this set than in the Sahara on Sunday night.

Keo345
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Hey where did you get this pic?

It is from Control, I had a copy of it but I believe I lost it and would love to get my hands back on it for memory's sake!!

Man that just captures that party so perfectly...it was absolute insanity...

Mr. Dylanja
03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Why oh why does he have to play Sunday? I hope to god he doesn't conflict with Thom Yorke, that would be the worst conflict of the fest for me, personally.

beolshika
03-24-2010, 02:29 PM
timewarp 2010!

seb-astianwrote
49 mins agoFloor 1:
19:30-21h Steffen Baumann
21-22:30 Lexy
22:30-0h The Disco Boys
0-2h Monika Kruse
3-5h Chris Liebing
5-7h Speedy J
7-8h Collabs feat. Chris Liebing & Speedy J
8-9h Plastikman Video Transmission
9-11h Felix Kröcher

Floor 2:
21-22h Seebase
22-0h Michel de Hey
0-2h Ellen Allien
3-7h Sven Väth
7-8h Martin Buttrich LIVE
8-9h Plastikman LIVE
9-11h Dubfire
11-15h Ricardo Villalobos, Marco Carola & Loco Dice

Floor 3 (Maimarktclub)
21-22:30 Sasch BBC
22:30-0:30... More

motherfucker.... i thought richie would play at like 4 ,5 6, 7....
but he's really pushing the limit with this 8-9 morning set.
ooooh... the expectation...

what can i do to stay up?

boarderwoozel3
03-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Drugs.

beolshika
03-24-2010, 02:36 PM
so it comes down to that eh..... the other choice is to wake up early and party with plastikman for breakfast.... not so bad either.

Mr. Dylanja
03-24-2010, 02:37 PM
OR drugs for breakfast with Plastikman.

leo01g
03-24-2010, 02:42 PM
O_Csy-K2_JY

The worst conflict of the weekend would be Gorillaz and Plastikman

Distorted_Jungle
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
It would be awesome if they broadcasted his set live online, it would only be midnight in cali, partying all night seems about right for a plastikman set though. I would say drugs is your best bet, i'm guessing it's what most people there will be doing.

leo01g
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Some more...
7tDoDkvBFeA

Keo345
03-26-2010, 10:52 AM
timewarp 2010!

seb-astianwrote
49 mins agoFloor 1:
19:30-21h Steffen Baumann
21-22:30 Lexy
22:30-0h The Disco Boys
0-2h Monika Kruse
3-5h Chris Liebing
5-7h Speedy J
7-8h Collabs feat. Chris Liebing & Speedy J
8-9h Plastikman Video Transmission
9-11h Felix Kröcher

Floor 2:
21-22h Seebase
22-0h Michel de Hey
0-2h Ellen Allien
3-7h Sven Väth
7-8h Martin Buttrich LIVE
8-9h Plastikman LIVE
9-11h Dubfire
11-15h Ricardo Villalobos, Marco Carola & Loco Dice

Floor 3 (Maimarktclub)
21-22:30 Sasch BBC
22:30-0:30... More

motherfucker.... i thought richie would play at like 4 ,5 6, 7....
but he's really pushing the limit with this 8-9 morning set.
ooooh... the expectation...

what can i do to stay up?

This lineup is INSANE!! Monika Kruse, Liebing, Speedy J, then Collabs - Jesus talk about a beating...then Plastikman LIVE, then Ricardo, Carola and Loco Dice tagging for four hours...unbelieveable...Ellen Alien into Sven will be a great stretch too....

You shouldn't even show up until about 3AM if you really want to make it for the best part of the party...so crazy how late/early everything runs...literally every single person at Timewarp has to be filled to the brim on rolls, LOL

shakermaker113
03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I like how they are broadcasting plastikman on the stage he's not playing at too.

Aurgasm
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I like how they are broadcasting plastikman on the stage he's not playing at too.

im not following you on this...

nvm. just saw the previous post.

Aurgasm
03-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Wow! Just finished an hour long interview with Gary Numan together for Coachella!! Crazy... need to pull out the original Tubeway Army Replicas album for the train ride to Mannheim today!

from Hawtin's FB. Interesting..

arman
03-26-2010, 04:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzbzkdnjeic cant fucking wait.
top 3 acts of the weekend

jtovar21
03-26-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzbzkdnjeic cant fucking wait.
top 3 acts of the weekend

Should be embedded:

tzbzkdnjeic

Mordecai
03-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Interested to see what he will do at timewarp this year in 24 hours.....

Although don't know if I want to ruin the surprise.

Keo345
03-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Interested to see what he will do at timewarp this year in 24 hours.....

Although don't know if I want to ruin the surprise.

I know...in 24 hours youtube is going to be littered with video from Timewarp, and I don't know if I want to watch it...

...but there's no way I'm going to be able to not!!!

Scary Larry
03-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Ol' Richie needs to shave his head again to make this the official return to Plastikman.

At least that is my perfect, nostalgic request.

halyem
03-27-2010, 09:48 AM
In a perfect world, the Plastikman set would be on Saturday night(opposite Tiesto) instead of on super-conflicted-cluster-fuck Sunday night.

Time to make some big boy choices...

this.
i dont know what to do on sunday with gorillaz, orbital, plastikman, and pavement. odds are i will not be able to see the full set of all 4.

rileyprime
03-28-2010, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyrTUr3Kp5E

first timewarp video

Mordecai
03-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Holy Jesus. Excitement level jumped even further if that's even possible.

Keo345
03-28-2010, 08:50 AM

first timewarp video

UN-FUCKING-BELIEVEABLE

Keo345
03-28-2010, 08:56 AM

first timewarp video

Seriously I can't even put into words the intensity of that video. I can't even begin to imagine what that is going to feel like live. He is going to rip our fucking minds out!!!!

Mak Attack
03-28-2010, 09:00 AM
21 more days. tick tock.

guedita
03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
That video was an excellent thing to wake up this morning, thank you rileyprime. I picked up a hard copy of Sheet One a few days ago... :)

sportsbunny
03-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Yes it would be sad to have Gorillaz play at the same time, but I've been waiting since '95 Desert Move in Vegas when he got stopped at border and couldn't make it in to see him as Plastikman - so it "conflict" is a non-issue :)

theresalwaysone
03-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Heres that video:

DyrTUr3Kp5E

Scary Larry
03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
From the looks, as expected-a blinder@Time Warp. Glad there is some video snippets out there, but too bad there is zero chance that this set was recorded. That said, my anticipation for this is still very, very high.

I could not agree more with sportsbunny on this. I hope that there is no conflict w/Gorillaz or Pavement, but if there is I am going with Plastikman.

Krash_Kronic
03-28-2010, 12:52 PM
OMG i cant wait. This looks amazing, number one act for the weekend!!! I hope there is no Gorillaz conflict, but either way im at Plastikman.

Distorted_Jungle
03-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I think i've made the decision already that if the conflict does come up i will be at Plastikman, mainly because Gorillaz will get more than 60 minutes of time and Hawtin has already said it's a fixed 60 minute set.

wseco
03-28-2010, 01:05 PM
im not gonna look at the time warp videos i want it all to be fresh going in

CrimesceneCookie
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Yes it would be sad to have Gorillaz play at the same time, but I've been waiting since '95 Desert Move in Vegas when he got stopped at border and couldn't make it in to see him as Plastikman - so it "conflict" is a non-issue :)

Ha, I was at Desert Move too.
As I remember Hawtin dropped out of the lineup a couple weeks beforehand due to longstanding visa issues. I think we got John Acquaviva instead?
Josh Wink was on fire that night.

Aurgasm
03-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm going to have to sacrifice Plastikman for Gorillaz if the conflict arises..

Richie Hawtin is going to tour the shit out of that set up in the next two years. Cant say the same about Gorillaz...

I wonder if there are any video snippets showing the App @ work.

suprefan
03-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I think its safe to say, that he will close out Sahara Sunday. Orbital goes prime time.

http://i40.tinypic.com/4r51ea.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/sm56jb.jpg

moomoo
03-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Holy fucking fuck.

matsuolost
03-28-2010, 02:34 PM
fuck yeah lets have gorillaz vs orbital, i dont know what this is but it should go last. and hard

Aurgasm
03-28-2010, 02:38 PM
fuck yeah lets have gorillaz vs orbital, i dont know what this is but it should go last. and hard

agreed

WhyTheLongFace
03-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I think its safe to say, that he will close out Sahara Sunday. Orbital goes prime time.

http://i40.tinypic.com/4r51ea.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/sm56jb.jpg

That video clip didnt interest me but this did

Aurgasm
03-28-2010, 02:44 PM
quite a few germans complaining that he performed as plastikman instead of richie hawtin.. can these fucking krauts not read a lineup?

mickflyy
03-28-2010, 02:48 PM
can't wait.

suprefan
03-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Yep, theres more obviously, but those caught my eye the most of the lot. i think with the set up it makes them end the evening with it. Orbital is just using whatever lights there are, nothing else. This takes time to set up and tear down. Unless, they put Plastickman on Outdoor theater, hahaha. YEAH RIGHT.

rileyprime
03-28-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm going to have to sacrifice Plastikman for Gorillaz if the conflict arises..

Richie Hawtin is going to tour the shit out of that set up in the next two years. Cant say the same about Gorillaz...

I wonder if there are any video snippets showing the App @ work.

Actually the only dates are the ones that have slots alloted on the Plastikman web-site.

only two north american shows are coachella and movement in detroit - the latter of which i am opting for due to cheaper ticket price ($40 weekend pass), and the fact that its a homecoming for plastikman.

heard on the paxahau webcast the other week that the last time he did a plastikman show in detroit was the VERY first plastikman live show ever in 1994.

suprefan
03-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Considering the tour dates page says ''more dates to be announced'' how does that make it impossible for another show to happen in the U.S.?

Aurgasm
03-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I understand...

It just seems unlikely that he'll only play two U.S. shows with all the investment put into this new project. I fully expect more dates.

suprefan
03-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Nocturnal or EDC?

Distorted_Jungle
03-28-2010, 03:04 PM

I don't think you tube clips can do that set up justice, some things just have to be seen first hand.

rileyprime
03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
im simply stating what was mentioned on an internet radio show operated by the guys who run the movement festival and who also have been close pals with rich for over a decade. i know they were all friends when i still lived in detroit back in the 90s.

i dont think you can grasp the significance of this project unless you were a fan back in the day. hell, im surprised he reprised it to begin with.

as far as noctrunal or edc - no way in hell. no offense to those events, but i dont think that the demographic hes shooting for with this show.

coachella makes sense in regards to over the top exposure
movement makes sense because its detroit and hes pals with the promoters

90,000 people in LA that have almost no sense of the history of this project and its impact on the global techno scene - not so much.

but who knows, only time will tell.

Distorted_Jungle
03-28-2010, 03:13 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXCg2e3Bw34&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXCg2e3Bw34&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Aurgasm
03-28-2010, 03:15 PM
hell they tried to have Underworld at a Hard event.. that failed.

i see your point about LA. I was talking to these random kids on the way to the venue and they had no clue what Underworld was..even though they knew they were headliners... it made no sense to me whatsoever.