PDA

View Full Version : Orbital =/= Sahara?

oceansc420
01-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Okay, so I had never heard too much about Orbital prior to the rumor board blowing up with requests for them, so I decided to give them a listen today (specifically the "20" compilation disc). I like their sound a lot, but I can't really see them playing the Sahara. Am I wrong in assuming that they're not really dance music? To me, their live show seems like it would be more along the lines of Kraftwerk, not a dance show...am I wrong?

TallGuyCM
01-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Okay, so I had never heard too much about Orbital prior to the rumor board blowing up with requests for them, so I decided to give them a listen today (specifically the "20" compilation disc). I like their sound a lot, but I can't really see them playing the Sahara. Am I wrong in assuming that they're not really dance music? To me, their live show seems like it would be more along the lines of Kraftwerk, not a dance show...am I wrong?

COMPLETELY wrong.

Bud Luster
01-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Their tunes are more uptempo than Kraftwerk, and are most certainly considered dance music. Kraftwerk played in the Sahara too though.

oceansc420
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Their tunes are more uptempo than Kraftwerk, and are most certainly considered dance music. Kraftwerk played in the Sahara too though.

Kraftwerk played the main stage, in 08.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Sahara in 04.

Get your facts right.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Oh, are you the new dumdum?

oceansc420
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Oh, are you the new dumdum?

It just doesn't really sound like dance music to me. I can already imagine people standing around bewildered, considering the American audience.

TallGuyCM
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
It just doesn't really sound like dance music to me. I can already imagine people standing around bewildered, considering the American audience.

You'd be surprised.

oceansc420
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
You'd be surprised.

Either way I'm down, their shit sounds pretty cool

Bud Luster
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Orbital IS rave.

thedevious
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
This not uhmerican, this Coachella audience!

oceansc420
01-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Orbital IS rave.

lol "rave" music died in the 90s, which is my point, anyone who would consider this dance music is probably in their late 30s/early 40s now aka most likely not in the Sahara. And I'm not hating on their music by any means, I'm all for them.

Bud Luster
01-21-2010, 03:30 PM
You have much to learn. I do agree that Orbital's sound is dated, though. Rave music actually died in the 80's. Trance has been dead for a decade too, but you aren't on here talking shit about Tiesto (who wont play in the Sahara, Tiesto IS NOT rave.)

guedita
01-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Yeah...the term "rave" doesn't necessarily have a fixed definition in terms of what music constitutes it, it means different things to people from different generations of the EDM scene.

There will be dancing to Orbital. SO MUCH DANCING.

oceansc420
01-21-2010, 03:33 PM
You have much to learn. I do agree that Orbital's sound is dated, though. Rave music actually died in the 80's. Trance has been dead for a decade too, but you aren't on here talking shit about Tiesto (who wont play in the Sahara, Tiesto IS NOT rave.)

I'm not talking shit about Orbital either...

And it's funny how I have a lot to learn yet you just basically reiterated what I just said.

Anyway...Tiesto doesn't really play trance music anymore, and I'm not trying to defend him, just rebutting your argument, he still sucks

TallGuyCM
01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
lol "rave" music died in the 90s, which is my point, anyone who would consider this dance music is probably in their late 30s/early 40s now aka most likely not in the Sahara. And I'm not hating on their music by any means, I'm all for them.

Again, you'd be surprised.

Bud Luster
01-21-2010, 03:35 PM
What you will learn is that people will be dancing maniacally to Orbital. It's kind of like saying: "Sly and the Family Stone aren't really dance music."

boarderwoozel3
01-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Not only will Orbital play the Sahara but they'll claim the imaginations, hearts, and souls of everyone within ear shot.

discobotica
01-21-2010, 04:32 PM

Lemme guess......you're really into Aoki/Beetroots/Dim-mak shit? I'm in my mid-20's and fucking LOVE Orbital............listen to "chime" and tell me that's not "dance music", better yet, define "dance music" for all of us so we know where you're coming from.....

boarderwoozel3
01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah, anyone who doesn't call Orbital dance music or can't dance to it needs to re-evaluate said definitions, pronto.

zimmy1222
01-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Orbital = Sahara.

End'o story...

truths
01-21-2010, 08:20 PM
orbital is not dance music

/waits for punch in face

Wheres the beef?
01-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Orbital on the mainstage after Gorillaz would be amazing.

Thom Yorke ????/Gorillaz/Orbital for mainstage.

Would be better than Kraftwerk/Portishead/Prince imo.

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
I can not wait to dance my ass off at the show. Who do you think they'll conflict with?

oceansc420
01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Lemme guess......you're really into Aoki/Beetroots/Dim-mak shit? I'm in my mid-20's and fucking LOVE Orbital............listen to "chime" and tell me that's not "dance music", better yet, define "dance music" for all of us so we know where you're coming from.....

No, just because I point out the obvious that their music is dated doesn't automatically translate to me liking electro.

No one can really "define" dance music, so that would be stupid. The only point I was making about Orbital, is that, on records at least, they give the impression that their live show would be more along the lines of a Kraftwerk show. Add that to the fact that American audiences tend to favor more minimal/electro sounding house and trance music, coupled with their dated sound, and one could easily see how Orbital could end up being a Kraftwerk/Aphex Twin-like experience. Obviously it sounds like people who have seen them though think differently. Either way they sound awesome and I'm all for checking them out.

FoxeyLady
01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Orbital are way more "ravey" than Kraftwerk. They really need to be in the sahara.

discobotica
01-22-2010, 12:25 PM
No, just because I point out the obvious that their music is dated doesn't automatically translate to me liking electro.

No one can really "define" dance music, so that would be stupid. The only point I was making about Orbital, is that, on records at least, they give the impression that their live show would be more along the lines of a Kraftwerk show. Add that to the fact that American audiences tend to favor more minimal/electro sounding house and trance music, coupled with their dated sound, and one could easily see how Orbital could end up being a Kraftwerk/Aphex Twin-like experience. Obviously it sounds like people who have seen them though think differently. Either way they sound awesome and I'm all for checking them out.

Aight, point well made......if you're really curious as to what Orbital would be like live, check out this vid..............

-gd-QkRA8Ik

I saw Kraftwerk in '08, loved 'em, but I would personally describe their vibe to be far more mellow than the vibe Orbital puts out in this vid. And after the glow eruption right at the beginning of the Orbital set @ Coachella, dancing with a glowstick in hand will be the viewer's ONLY option........RAVE! RAVE! RAVE!

discobotica
01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
p.s. the rmx of Paul's diagonal thumbs up synced up with the beat just after the 8:30 mark is priceless!!!

Monklish
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
orbital is not dance music

/waits for punch in face

Agreed.

buffalojim22
01-22-2010, 12:39 PM
I have a hard time believing Orbital would be anywhere else than Sahara.

Hopefully not while conflicting with either Gorillaz and Sly.

obzen
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Discobotica, do you live off of Pipeline or Bayberry?

nbvcide
01-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Orbital will be in the Sahara..

it's just a matter of whether they'll be during Pavement, or after Gorillaz closing out the fest (ala Justice)

discobotica
01-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Discobotica, do you live off of Pipeline or Bayberry?

Are these street names in PV or something?

obzen
01-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Can you see the Vincent Thomas bridge from your house?

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 06:22 AM
I like the main stage idea of Thom Yorke >>> Gorillaz >>> Orbital. Then I can trip my ass off in one place and not have to run around.

obzen
01-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Yeah, Orbital on the Coachella stage; not happening.

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 07:07 AM
I realize it probably won't happen, but I really really like the idea. Either that or close the main stage out early (Gorillazzz), and have Orbital on immediately after in the Sahara.

MarkO
01-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Orbital in the Shithara .........

sadface.

mittens4kittens
01-23-2010, 10:33 AM
lol "rave" music died in the 90s

things go in cycles... I've been hearing a LOT of 90's sounding synths and just generally ravey-time sounding production lately.

Doesn't really compute that you don't consider them dance music... they were at their peak when people actually danced at parties, instead of just getting all twacked out and headbanging...

obzen
01-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Twacked out.

seandigi
01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
The main stage idea is pretty cool. They belong in the Sahara though.

mickflyy
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
i hope they dont play sahara... i dont really enjoy no shirt sweaty guys rubbing up on me as im trying to enjoy the music that stupid tent is always way too crowded

Foucault
01-23-2010, 01:57 PM
i hope they dont play sahara... i dont really enjoy no shirt sweaty guys rubbing up on me as im trying to enjoy the music that stupid tent is always way too crowded

LOL. That is one of the reasons I love the Sahara.

gooftroop
01-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Go towards the back, always less crowded and really the better view of everything. Orbital HAS to be in the Sahara though, anywhere else would be just wrong. While I do consider Orbital dance music they're performances can often trend into spacey areas, they've been making this type of music for over 20 years and to me often sound very experimental and psychedelic. This is exactly why I'm so excited for them, especially after looking at some pictures of their equipment that someone posted in another thread! Really hoping they close out the weekend after Gorillaz.

boarderwoozel3
01-23-2010, 02:56 PM
This thread's message is downright offensive and completely detached from any semblance of reality or common sense. Boo-fucking-hiss.

shakur
01-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Where ever Orbital plays.. faces will be melted.