PDA

View Full Version : let me get this straight, we'll potentially be having 50,000 campers vying 4 showers?

laineinla
01-21-2010, 02:59 PM
So, if I'm reading all the camping FAQ correctly, since anyone with a festival pass can come in/out of the campground, at any time, and sleep absolutely wherever they like - including "creative" places (as long as they're over 18 - but I've been camping the past 5 years and have never once seen someone checked for ID), we could potentially be vying against 50,000 people (or however many dozens of thousands of people show up for Coachella) for showers in the morning?

50,000 other people who could go trampling/looking throughout the entire campground (i.e., anyone's tent), at any point during the festival?

I REALLY REALLY want to camp this year as that's definitely part of the whole experience for me, but if this is the case ... UGH, I feel like I may have to go the hotel/condo rental route :(

That being said, I think the new camping setup sounds great for people on super-low budgets. Free place to stay, basically!

canexplain
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Yea that sounds pretty bad, but it makes a lot more sense then 50,000 showers for 4 people so GV is thinking anyway gal.... cr****

Bud Luster
01-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Why do people think anyone with a festival pass can go into camping?

"edit, also why would anyone not camping want to use those showers?

bobert
01-21-2010, 03:08 PM
You still have to pay for camping. It's not a fucking free-for-all.

laineinla
01-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Technically, you only need a pass for overnight parking.

From the FAQ:

Can I bring my friends into camp?
Sure, as long as everyone has a festival ticket you can have them come to your camping spot

laineinla
01-21-2010, 03:12 PM
But someone prove me wrong - PLEASE tell me there's something that says "everyone who camps must have a camping pass."

frizbee9
01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
yes this whole thing sounds incredibly confusing to me:

1. vying for showers with non campers will definitely create chaos. ugh. why should i even buy a camping pass if i know i can just crash AND shower somewhere else for free?

2. if people who don't camp are allowed in the campground, my instinct is that other people will steal. YES, that could happen any previous years as well but there is some sort of comradeship between fellow campers vs. drunk/drugged people rambling through the campgrounds with no where to stay. if they're doing ins/outs at the festival this year ... and you dont need a special camping pass... who the hell's to stop all the other 50,000 people at coachella to just start mobbing the camp ground?

bobert
01-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Technically, you only need a pass for overnight parking.

From the FAQ:

Sure, as long as everyone has a festival ticket you can have them come to your camping spot

Well, the way understood it, if you have a car full of people you can pay for one 10x30 spot and get everyone into the campground for the one price. If camping without a car, each individual person has to buy their own camping pass. Perhaps that's what she meant by "having a ticket."

In any case, there's no way that 50,000 will be in that campground. I think you're overestimating the increased interest in car camping.

NoneForMeThanks
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure what happens to the cars that don't leave the day parking lot after the show is over each day, but I wouldn't risk having my car towed just cuz I was too lazy to drive myself back to my hotel.

3imaginaryboys
01-21-2010, 03:20 PM

I really hope this means that the person with the camping pass has to vouch for their friends.. Or something. That would be stupid to just let anyone into the camping area. I don't want my shit stolen or being looked through.

attila the honey
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
yes this whole thing sounds incredibly confusing to me:

1. vying for showers with non campers will definitely create chaos. ugh. why should i even buy a camping pass if i know i can just crash AND shower somewhere else for free?

2. if people who don't camp are allowed in the campground, my instinct is that other people will steal. YES, that could happen any previous years as well but there is some sort of comradeship between fellow campers vs. drunk/drugged people rambling through the campgrounds with no where to stay. if they're doing ins/outs at the festival this year ... and you dont need a special camping pass... who the hell's to stop all the other 50,000 people at coachella to just start mobbing the camp ground?

i agree its confusing. i hope they give us way more info than what was posted. i hope we get some sort of wrist band for camping because i think there would be more theft and stuff as well if just anyone with a ticket can go into the campgrounds.

laineinla
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure what happens to the cars that don't leave the day parking lot after the show is over each day, but I wouldn't risk having my car towed just cuz I was too lazy to drive myself back to my hotel.

For sure - you're right you wouldn't have all those people getting towed just to sleep/party it off in the campsite. Hah, sorry for overreacting about the 50,000 thing :)

HOWEVER, it still sounds to me like you only need a festival pass to get to the campground (i.e., the part where: "If you are getting dropped off and just want to tent camp you either need to buy a camp spot or someone else needs to let you camp with them in their camp spot").

That does not sound to me like "you must buy a camp spot." That sounds like "anyone who hitchhikes or cabs their way to Coachella has a free place to crash" and "anyone who's at the festival and wants to go shower or steal some $hit from the campground can go do so whenever they want." LOL

lexineffect
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Anyone will be able to come in but you control your own space so people won't be able to crash anywhere. I think there will be a few people who meet someone and ditch their hotel to hang out at the campsite all night.

People won't be able to pitch a tent or anything without a camping pass but you might wake up with someone crashed in your space I suppose.

I think theft will be higher but what would you be leaving at your campsite that would be valuable?

gaypalmsprings
01-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Why do people think anyone with a festival pass can go into camping?

You could at Phish.

Bud Luster
01-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I think I may stand corrected here. Not a fan of this part of the new rules.

M Sparks
01-21-2010, 03:33 PM
If camping without a car, each individual person has to buy their own camping pass.

No. $55 a spot. Anybody that has a festival pass can come in. You pay for the space, not the right to enter. Why won't anyone just read it?

I don't think you have to worry about 50,000 people trampling through, but I'd bet anything there will be an extra 2,500 people wandering around and sleeping behind people's cars.

Luckily, those people don't shower anyway.

bobert
01-21-2010, 03:35 PM
You could at Phish.

It should also be noted that lack of showers and theft were never an issue at the Phish festival. But then again, Phish fans aren't known for their thievery or hygiene.

Bud Luster
01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
well maybe their thievery.

laineinla
01-21-2010, 03:43 PM

HAHA! True.

OK OK fine. 2,500 (or so) more random people vs. 50K

billtino
01-21-2010, 03:43 PM
If you truly are camping you would be pretty stupid not to put any valuables inside your (or your friend's) car which is presumably locked. Just don't leave anything you wouldn't want stolen inside your tent all day. Now if i come back to my tent and Goldilocks is testing out my air mattress then she better be ready to pay the piper. If it's a drunk/stoned guy then you will find out why my tent is shaped like an Octagon.
Seriously tho, in these hard times theft may become a problem.

bobert
01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
well maybe their thievery.

Whatever. Point being that every evening I returned to my campsite to find it undisturbed, nothing stolen, no homeless street urchins squatting in my tent. Also, common sense would dictate putting all of your valuables into your vehicle that happens to be sitting right next to your campsite - how convenient!! This is something that was not possible (or very realistic) with the previous camping setup.

frizbee9
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
"In any case, there's no way that 50,000 will be in that campground. I think you're overestimating the increased interest in car camping."

if you're driving to the festival and you want to camp, you have to car camp. so its not really an issue of increased interest since thats what you'll have to do.

personally i like camping, leaving my car behind and hanging with all the other campers

lexineffect
01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Now if i come back to my tent and Goldilocks is testing out my air mattress then she better be ready to pay the piper. If it's a drunk/stoned guy then you will find out why my tent is shaped like an Octagon.

Solid Gold

M Sparks
01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
I think theft will be higher but what would you be leaving at your campsite that would be valuable?

Theft should theoretically be lower because people will lock anything valuable in their car.

gaypalmsprings
01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
http://religiousfreaks.com/UserFiles/Image/christian.propaganda.posters/gay.shower.small.jpg

Theijuiel
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
http://religiousfreaks.com/UserFiles/Image/christian.propaganda.posters/gay.shower.small.jpg

LuLz

margotnuclear
01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
if they were to add showers then spicy pie would be 15 bucks a slice this year. not willing to compromise my spicy pie

HowToDisappear
01-21-2010, 04:34 PM
No. $55 a spot. Anybody that has a festival pass can come in. You pay for the space, not the right to enter. Why won't anyone just read it?

I don't think you have to worry about 50,000 people trampling through, but I'd bet anything there will be an extra 2,500 people wandering around and sleeping behind people's cars.

I emailed GV yesterday to confirm this. I'm honestly not too keen on the idea that all festival goers can enter. I think your estimate of 2500 is conservative; it'll turn into one, giant flophouse. We were going to camp, but this is really giving me pause.

canexplain
01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I would guess 90 percent of the people that go to Bonnaroo camp=70,000 people in the campgrounds. It is no big problem there and it won't be a big problem at Coachella imo. Lock you stuff in the car and rock and roll. cr****

donkey sex
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
they dont call it a communal experience for nothin

attila the honey
01-21-2010, 08:17 PM
as long as there are enough showers so that the lines arent fucking rediculous. this will be my first year camping and showering is my main concern haha

Neighborhood Creep
01-22-2010, 01:14 AM
as long as there are enough showers so that the lines arent fucking rediculous. this will be my first year camping and showering is my main concern haha

let's save some water and go together

brfilora
01-22-2010, 07:26 AM
I would guess 90 percent of the people that go to Bonnaroo camp=70,000 people in the campgrounds. It is no big problem there and it won't be a big problem at Coachella imo. Lock you stuff in the car and rock and roll. cr****

Word

Also a decent alternative to using Coachella showers which has always worked well for us, less than $15 on amazon:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7614/wca142.th.jpg (http://img710.imageshack.us/i/wca142.jpg/)

Does coachella charge to use their showers?

TomServo
01-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Word

Also a decent alternative to using Coachella showers which has always worked well for us, less than $15 on amazon:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7614/wca142.th.jpg (http://img710.imageshack.us/i/wca142.jpg/)

Does coachella charge to use their showers?

Doesn't seem like a bad idea... but where do you find the 5 gallons of water to fill this thing up?? Thinking about trying one.

billtino
01-22-2010, 08:40 AM
5gal of water is almost 42 pounds. where are you planning on hanging this thing from?

canexplain
01-22-2010, 08:45 AM
5gal of water is almost 42 pounds. where are you planning on hanging this thing from?

We have had one of those for years. for ours we had like a little tent and it only cost like $20 at walmart if I remember right. Give you privacy also. cr****

faxman75
01-22-2010, 08:51 AM
This lightweight, non-toxic PVC Coghlan's Solar Heated Camp Shower stores enough water for 3-4 showers. Compact and easy to use, includes cord for hanging, you will never take a cold shower while camping again.

You can just put it on the roof of your car if you like.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G960DTFHL._SS400_.jpg

50K people will not be trying to use the showers. You failed at answering the one simple question which was why the fuck would you come to the campground and shower if you are staying at a hotel?

canexplain
01-22-2010, 08:53 AM
We put our shower in one of these along with the potapottie. At coachella I don't know if it is worth it, but at other fests yeeepeee .. cr****

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/shower-1.jpg

faxman75
01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Ron, where do you empty all the piss and shit when you are done?

sin213
01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
annoying neighbors campsite...lol

canexplain
01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Ron, where do you empty all the piss and shit when you are done?

A bit gross of a topic but between two of us, we never filled it up in a long weekend. So it was never a problem. Just have that blue stuff and its all good ... cr****

edit: If I remember right, the best thing I liked about the Coachella showers was they were air conditioned and with that early morning hot sun :) ….. cr****

brfilora
01-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Doesn't seem like a bad idea... but where do you find the 5 gallons of water to fill this thing up?? Thinking about trying one.

At festivals past there have always been potable water stations, but I've never been to Coachella. Someone who's been before: are there water stations in the camp grounds?

Those little portable tent things seem really nice, but if you're on a budget you can even get by without one. You get more privacy that way but I always just wear a swimsuit.

I've always just set mine on the roof or my car and used it from there. Obviously an SUV is preferable. I'm 6'4" and I've never had a problem getting under the water stream.

brfilora
01-22-2010, 09:53 AM
An added bonus too: If you leave it in the sun all day while you're at the fest the water heats up to about 115 degrees and makes a really hot shower.

Or just throw it in a cooler if an ice cold shower is preferred :winkiss

M Sparks
01-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Get your ass out of bed before 9 or 10 and showering won't be a big deal. Or, make new friends in line. It's not really a big deal.

M Sparks
01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
if they were to add showers then spicy pie would be 15 bucks a slice this year. not willing to compromise my spicy pie

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you even understand the concept of cause & effect?

billtino
01-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I have not had a problem using the Camping showers right around noon time...while the herd is moooooving into the venue. depends on the lineup of course.

PlainJane
01-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Time to pony up on the air freshners!

Warsee2
01-23-2010, 01:05 AM
let's save some water and go together

"In addition to Carpoolchella, the program to reward those who carpool together to the Coachella Festival, Goldenvoice has decided to also implement a program this year to reward those who shower together in the onsite campground showers. Onsite campers can just go to the website http://coachella.com/ShowerBuddies, to register with a friend, or make oneself available to shower with a stranger, print out the registration page, and receive a free bar of soap and a whistle when they present the page to the lifeguards supervising the showering facilities at the campground"

Suffacated
01-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Shower at the Do Lab!

Stickjohn
01-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Camping was pretty damn cheap before and wasn't selling out consistently. I don't think there's hoards of festival goers that have been waiting to get into the campgrounds to shower.

Jayleigh
01-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Man, I assumed more people who camped had these! We car camped at Bonnaroo... sleeping tent, canopy tent, shower tent... 5 gallon shower bags and portable toilets.

People think "ew, changing the bags on your own piss" but believe me, with the blue chemicals that keep the bags clean/not stinky, I'd MUCH rather take my own bags, tie em up, put em in a big black garbage bag and take that to the trash then use a communal portolet... Plus its so much more convenient and sooo much cleaner!

For the shower bags you just fill up some sturdy 5 gallon sized water bags at the gas station before you drive in and you're good. You can hang the bags from the inside of the privacy tent to shower, then if you have to use the bathroom, stick your little toilet in there. Its great.

No lines, no nastiness... :)

Jayleigh
01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Also, there's a ton of people who walk through the camping at Bonnaroo and there's not a big theft problem... Like someone else said, you can always lock your valuables back up in your car if you're really worried about people stealing...

I hope Coachella doesn't have some serious theft problem we should know about first...

marfawkah02
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
why are people complaining if you have fest. tix you can camp? i say its about time! im sure theyre gonna add more showers/toilets to make up for the numbers. calm down people & light the dodi already =)

nbvcide
01-26-2010, 02:37 PM
1. first of all, there are a lot more than FOUR showers, there are at LEAST four TRAILERS of showers, each containing SEVERAL

2. i have NEVER waited in line to shower at chella.. sure, i know this is more a problem for the ladies, who take far longer than men, but that has never stopped some ladies from using the men's showers when there is no line there..

3. don't shower 9am-11am, that's a pretty small window, and is when 80% of people seem to shower..

4. there has never been, and will never be 50,000 campers.. the campground would sell out far before that number was even approached..

steve7268
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
If you have to worry about your stuff getting stolen at a festival you are going to the wrong festival.

psychic friend
01-28-2010, 12:32 PM
i think there are a few bad apples whenever you assemble thousands of people. even higher rate on this very message board. be smart, lock valuables in your car, and think positive :)

faxman75
01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
A bit gross of a topic but between two of us, we never filled it up in a long weekend. So it was never a problem. Just have that blue stuff and its all good ... cr****

Ron, it's not really between the two of us but I don't mind pretending it is. Does your post mean that somewhere in a storage shed of yours is a portable toilet still filled with you and Tiger lady's piss and shit from last year?

I asked where you dispose of the waste. Your response didn't address that issue. What "blue" stuff do you need to make it disapear?

BROKENDOLL
01-28-2010, 01:16 PM

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you even understand the concept of cause & effect?
Should we tell him how the toppings on the spicy pie come from the porta potties?

canexplain
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/blue.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/blue1.jpg

Cr*****

elChurro
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
The full coachella experience involves athletes foot... enjoy!

marfawkah02
01-30-2010, 08:56 AM

loL, bring extra pairs of socks

billtino
01-30-2010, 09:05 AM
loL, bring extra pairs of socks

Bring a pair of sandals/cheap slippers just for the showers...

nbvcide
01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
THIS^

donkey sex
01-31-2010, 07:54 PM
chellafungus

OnlyNonStranger
01-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Please don't pee in the showers!

rickibot
02-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Hahaha SO TRUE!

Uphadis
02-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Why the fuck would anyone want to shower anyway...? I say smell like shit for a few days and have the fucking time of your life. Or year at least.

billtino
02-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Why the fuck would anyone want to shower anyway...? I say smell like shit for a few days and have the fucking time of your life. Or year at least.

I met a Kiwi at the campsite back in 2007 whose goal was to get as dirty/smelly as possible all weekend before RATM closed out the show. Guess who didn't have a problem getting to the rail the last night? If you aren't going to try and hook up with anyone, just let yourself go for a weekend...