PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from a rookie Aussie ...

YarneeQ
01-21-2010, 02:17 PM
hey peeps,

my best friend and i are thinking about shooting over to the US from Australia for a week to catch Coachella for the first time ... things are a little up in the air at the moment with my friend though, he may already be in the US when i arrive, or his job in the US may fall through and he may not be able to come, so ...

1) if we both buy a festival ticket and one of us buys a camping spot + ready to go package, and then something happens and we can't go, are we able to sell our tickets? on ebay? or through this message board? can international buyers even sell their tickets?

2) how quickly do the normal tickets and camping tickets sell out? they go on sale Saturday afternoon our time, but we may not have made a decision about committing until tuesday or wednesday (4 days after they go on sale?) ... should we buy tix staright away and deal with having to sell them later if need be?

2) what is the best way to get from LA to Coachella on the Thursday? We will be flying in to LAX on Wednesday morning, then intend to stay in a cheap hotel in LA Wednesday night and head to Coachella on Thursday morning to collect our tent etc and set up .... Do they have buses?

3) if my BF can't make it, how lame would it be to go by myself? keep in mind i have never been to the US, so would have NFI of how to make my way around .... insert bewildered australian with a truckers cap and backpack crying somewhere on the streets of LA.

Looking forward to having my life changed if we make it though ... haven't heard a bad thing about Coacha yet!

koliebo
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
2) Waiting 4 days shouldn't be a problem. Festival tickets don't usually sell out, and if camping tickets do sell out, I doubt they'll sell out that quickly.

3) (4? your numbering is a bit off) I don't think it would be lame at all for you to go by yourself! If you would feel comfortable making your way around an unfamiliar part of Australia, then you should be fine in LA and Indio. Just be smart and be safe.

Sorry I can't help with your other 2 questions.

dantoro
01-21-2010, 03:15 PM
see FAQ

and
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35767&highlight=Aussie

Bud Luster
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Go alone. You will find new boyfriend. mate.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-21-2010, 03:45 PM
bring more hot aussies please

seanyb
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
if you're female and hot you can camp with me

YarneeQ
01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
thanks y'all ... i think ...? will do some more research into the getting to and from LA to Coachella ... i'm sure greyhound will be onto it.

meanwhile, a mate just told me you can't walk around with a beer? WTF? this is un-heard of at Australian festivals. probably because we are a nation of alcoholics. ha. this piece of news has made me re-consider a little ....

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
You wont want to walk around with a beer dude, its going to be sizzlin'.

canexplain
01-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Check out the "Carpool" section of this board. There will be thousands of people driving in from LA and if you share gas or whatever, you should be able to get a ride. Just start now so you have time to hook up. cr****

wazdog
01-21-2010, 05:42 PM
there's a coachella thread on inthemix. think there is a few aussies that are going alone, so i'd check in there.

YarneeQ
01-21-2010, 06:03 PM
cool ....

meanwhile, what's with all the references to the excruciating heat? i know we're going to be in the desert, but can any Aussies give me a heads up in comparison to Australian heat, i.e. 36 degrees and 95 per cent humidity on a good day in Queensland summer?

p.s. i don't think i have been this excited about anything in my life.

seanyb
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Wikipedia says average high in April is 31C
doesn't sound too bad

SJserio
01-21-2010, 06:18 PM
it gets up to 120 degrees out here, along w/ 100% humidity.

reference: ive lived here all my life.

seanyb
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
also, I'm planning on getting the greyhound from LA to Indio sometime in the morning on the 15th
I hope I don't get stabbed

seanyb
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
hate you, humidity

SJserio
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
On April 19th, 2009, the closest available weather station to Indio, CA (PALM SPRINGS THERMAL AP, CA), reported the following conditions:

High Temp: 99F
Low Temp: 57F
Average Temp: 78.7F
Dewpoint: 30.9F
Wind Speed: 4.5 Knots
Precipitation Amount: 0 Inches
Snow Depth: n/a
Observations: n/a

seanyb
01-21-2010, 06:26 PM
57F at night is like 13C
that's not too bad at all

wazdog
01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
weather wise its bearable.

the test will probably be when it hits 39 degrees in sydney tomorrow - although ill be parked at the beach. its a dry heat though so it is bearable. it was bloody freezing at night last year. as others have said bout 10-15 degrees.

seanyb
01-21-2010, 06:35 PM
I'll be the idiot still walking around in a singlet and shorts at night

BDOeatyourheartout
01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
meh

dont stress about it. i met up with a few ppl who went solo in 2007.

dont worry about the heat its not that bad. it may have u out of the tent earlier than you'd like but a steady flow of snow cones or hiding in the shade behind the shower blocks and ur fine. there is also an outdoor shower on the shower block so just wear ur boardies/or whatever and have a shower to cool down.

the only downside to the greyhounds are overbooking. when i caught the greyhound from palm springs to indio it arrived iin PS already full. we ended up sitting in the aisle.

but do it. with or without ur friend it will change ur life and ruin every aussie music festival u will ever go to all at the same time.

YarneeQ
01-21-2010, 08:44 PM
boardies? i'm a girl, so unless i'm wasted i'll be showering with something on up top. there are enclosed showers though, right?

not scared about the heat now, pretty sure it will be nothing compared to Australian summer i.e. being able to boil an egg if you leave it in your glovebox for a couple of hours.

re the greyhound .... hopefully you won't get stabbed SeanyB, but i'm catching it then too, so you can use me as a body-shield if you're that terrified.

if you book a seat on the greyhound online in advance (like, next week) does that guarantee you a seat when you jump on in LA? or is it just a free-for-all?

re ruining every australian music festival for the rest of my life ... bring it on. i look forward to being the smug jerk at Splendour 2010 wearing a t-shirt that says "splendour is the poor-man's coachella. i know, cause i've been"

crichards10
01-21-2010, 08:48 PM
yeah man u will make tons of friends especially if your camping. i cant even remember how many aussies would be screaming at night there little chants. definatly go no matter what either by urself or with a friend it will be one of the best experiences in your life.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
01-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Do the math, 104 F would be 40 C, if that's not that uncomfortable to you then I guess you're fine.

seanyb
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
i'm going with some other aussies, some from syd and some from bris if you want to hang with us, YarneeQ

Blinken
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't think selling tickets will be easy since you are from Australia. I believe that the only option for you to pick up your tickets is at will call since you live outside the US. So take the extra week or so to make sure everything is in place and you are sure about going. It is a great time.

Ajaxe
01-22-2010, 07:06 AM
i think you will have an awesome time :)

If any aussies are staying in palm springs I may be able to help with some carpooling I have my own car and staying in Palm Springs for the festival.

As for heat & humidity heh try living in Darwin, Australia your whole life :)

BDOeatyourheartout
01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
i did say or whatever ;)

i booked my greyhound tickets 2 months in advance and when it arrived in PS it was full, hence why we sat in the aisle. they said they were going to send more buses from LA but that was going to be a few hours wait in the sun at the busport. heaps of other ppl had the same problem. there was quite a few ppl there and only one attendant in the ticket booth trying to sort stuff out.

meh 40 degrees is doable is was 43 in perth last monday.

and of course there are indoor showers. but there is usually a line at night and in the mornings. its just easy to use the outside one while ur in ur bathers or whatever.

hahaha i love wearing my coachella shirts to bdo etc.

ADGZ662
01-23-2010, 10:51 AM
it gets up to 120 degrees out here, along w/ 100% humidity.

reference: ive lived here all my life.

This is true.......but temperatures only get that high in the summer months of June, July, August not in April.

Question: Have you really lived here all your life?

yeahi'llgo
01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
If you're the Australian(s) who chant(s) nationalistically, or would like to chant, please don't. Other people travel too

lausylooloo
01-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey YarneeQ,

Im from Melbourne and currently living/working in Canada with my boyfriend for the winter and summer.

We got our tickets yesterday, and I am sooo pumped! BDO, Falls, Pyramid, Splendour all put together will never compare to this! :)

This is my first time going and we are going with a few people we have met here! You are more than welcome to meet up with us if you go by yourself and feel like you are going to be alone.....Im sure you will get alot of offers anyway!

One of the girls we are going with has been before and she is from Perth and she said it is is really friggin hot!!! so it will probably be as bad as our 36+ days!

Gona be amazing :)