PDA

View Full Version : showing Grizzy Bear some love

sleepybrew
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
So i thought Grizzly Bear deserved a thread.

Veckatimest is easily one of my favorite albums of the year. There is a great thread in the music lounge talking about the album.

They were my favorite act at Treasure Island and I can't wait to see them on the polo fields. Thoughts???

CoachellaBlood
01-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I was really happy they are booked again.

TallGuyCM
01-21-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think Grizzly Bear will have any problem finding love at the polo fields. :)

ivankay
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
i am dreaming of sunset on the Outdoor Theater Stage.

HAMMERHEAD
01-21-2010, 01:20 PM

jizz. everywhere.

thom cobain
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
sweet band

TallGuyCM
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM

This would be ideal. Between that in '10, and the Bon Iver sunrise show in '09, those are just two beautiful events, Mike.

Natelevmofuggaz
01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I saw them back in June at the Wiltern and I have to say I was blown away. Can't wait to see them again. Grizzly Bear sunset at Coachella would be quite ideal.

unknown
01-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Yes. Just perfect.

jizz. everywhere.

Yes. This too.

They are so incredible live.

TommyboyUNM
01-21-2010, 02:21 PM
They are very incredible live. Remember this? I believe this was similar to your vantage point.

qHXLqK_fBEQ

unknown
01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
OMG no wai! you were like right by me. I was actually watching a lot of the vids on youtube from that night just yesterday. I was in awe that entire performance.

RoughSteez
01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
I saw them when they came to the palladium this past year and they seem the perfect fit for coachella. Their set up and everything.

Agreed. On the outside stage.

Maybe they will play this - http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2010/01/grizzly-bear-covers-hot-chip.html

but probably not...

RageAgainstTheAoki
01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm sure they'll have a huge crowd turn out for their performance. I think that last year was the Veckatimest year, you know? And everyone (especially in So Cal) had multiple opportunities to catch them on tour so the same fever might not be there right now but I'm sure you'll see plenty of enthusiasm for them on site.

Nice video, TommyboyUNM. I was about dead center as well. What a great night that was.

Theijuiel
01-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Grizzlys?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PiAHbeJCzIo/SfS9S5GU7AI/AAAAAAAABEc/DIwDj3AnZPA/s400/gay-bears.jpg

jigjig
01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Glad to hear that these guys are good live - I loved Veckatimest.

BrickTop24
01-21-2010, 04:08 PM
They'll be fun to see live

CiderMouseRules
01-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Pet Sounds was easily their best album.

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 08:40 AM
GB is my top band on Friday.

sbessiso
01-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Pass.

TommyboyUNM
01-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Good to know, Salah. I was wondering....

sbessiso
01-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I like to keep you informed.

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I like knowing.

crombrenner
01-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I've got a bad feeling there's gonna be a Grizzly Bear/ Them Crooked Vultures conflict, which makes me a very sad panda.

sbessiso
01-23-2010, 09:04 AM
I say choose the one that has a member of Led Zeppelin in it

rskapcat
01-23-2010, 09:06 AM
I would choose Grizzly Bear. I like to rock softly.

crombrenner
01-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Good point. I'll would make that choice also based on the fact that I have seen Grizzly Bear and haven't seen TCV. TCV (and Gorillaz of course) are at the top of my list for the entire weekend.

TommyboyUNM
01-23-2010, 09:24 AM

Yes. Choose the group that makes some of the most generic rock possible and lives on the fact that the members were in Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters/Nirvana, and Queens of the Stone Age.

sbessiso
01-23-2010, 09:26 AM
OK fine, choose the one thats like the musical niquil

TommyboyUNM
01-23-2010, 09:29 AM
If you have the attention span of a 4-year old on 4 cans of Mountain Dew then choose the mindless generic rock that is Them Crooked Vultures.

If you can actually sit through something that's intricate and beautiful then choose Grizzly Bear.

sbessiso
01-23-2010, 09:32 AM
suck it you beaner

i drink orange fanta but only on tap

rskapcat
01-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Sally, your (I assume baseless) dislike of Grizzly Bear makes me less likely to take any of your music recommendations seriously.

FoxeyLady
01-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I love both bands but I would choose TCV over GB, just cause their live shows look much more fun. That and I haven't seen either before and I think I will have many more opportunities to see GB in the future.

Gribbz
01-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I still can't believe TCV are subheadlining. What have they done again? And yes, I know who's in the band.

EDIT* Also, Grizzly Bear put on one of the best shows I've ever seen live. Just sayin'.

TommyboyUNM
01-23-2010, 09:35 AM
I love both bands but I would choose TCV over GB, just cause their live shows look much more fun. That and I haven't seen either before and I think I will have many more opportunities to see GB in the future.

Grizzly Bear's shows are fun because the music is incredible. I don't give a shit what band plays louder and faster, if the music is better then it's more fun for me to listen. Maybe we have different definitions of fun, but it's really fun for me to hear everything that Grizzly Bear is doing and how in synch and crisp they are.

Anybody can make the music that Them Crooked Vultures makes. I find them to be extremely boring.

sbessiso
01-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Sally, your (I assume baseless) dislike of Grizzly Bear makes me less likely to take any of your music recommendations seriously.

Thats OK. No one has ever taken me seriously here, im used to it

FoxeyLady
01-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Grizzly Bear's shows are fun because the music is incredible. I don't give a shit what band plays louder and faster, if the music is better then it's more fun for me to listen. Maybe we have different definitions of fun, but it's really fun for me to hear everything that Grizzly Bear is doing and how in synch and crisp they are.

Anybody can make the music that Them Crooked Vultures makes. I find them to be extremely boring.

Yeah don't get me wrong I'd love to see Grizzly Bear as well, but TCV would just barely win in a conflict for me. Josh Homme and Dave Grohl are amazing live performers, I could care less about JPJ actually. But yeah, TCV is gonna bring the ROCK on friday, and I will be there. Hopefully they dont conflict and I dont have to make this decision.

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 09:40 AM
I guess it depends on whether you want to rock out (TCV) or whether you want to be transported to a heavenly place (GB).

MissingPerson
01-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I'd probably pick them over TCV, but only because I've no interest in TCV whatsoever. Grizzly Bear have their moments (Service Bell, SERVICE BELL!) but I'm not crazy about their music overall.

All that said, I was pleased to discover they were quite a bit heavier live than I expected, and far less snoozy than I'd feared.

sonofhal
01-23-2010, 10:17 AM
I saw one great Grizzly Bear show and one fairly average one last year. I also saw a complete mind blowing one by TCV that was far superior to both the GB ones.

FoxeyLady
01-23-2010, 10:21 AM
All that said, I was pleased to discover they were quite a bit heavier live than I expected, and far less snoozy than I'd feared.

This is good news because that was my fear too. Last year I went to see fleet foxes after TVOTR finished and I couldnt get close enough to the stage with out hearing the Do-Lab drown it out. I realllly hope this year they decide to move the Do-Lab a little further away, because this happened on a few occasions that weekend.

sleepybrew
01-23-2010, 01:30 PM
dont get me wrong. for the most part, when i'm at coachella, i'm there to party, dance and listen to fun upbeat music. however, grizzly bear transcends all that. their music live was incredibly entertaining. the vocal harmonizations were perfect. plus i had this crazy experience at treasure island when they were performing. it was cloudy all day long, then, halfway through "ready, able" (my favorite gb song) when the crescendo begins, the clouds broke for a moment and the sun shone down on the crowd. quite impressive. i think gb and fever ray will be magical performances and a nice break from the partying of lcd, specials, passion pit, etc etc

bmack86
01-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure exactly how many times I've seen them since my show list is on my dead computer (it's around 10 I think). It's going to have to be a fantastic band against them to drag me away. Although, despite the fact that they are clearly not fantastic, I might choose TCV based on all the reports of their live shows.