PDA

View Full Version : Band of Skulls

sk8r408
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I didn't know these guys before the lineup was announced, but I'm really digging them. I just listened to their album and it's great! Can't wait to see them live. Has anyone seen them before?

Here's a link to their album on Myspace...
http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&artistid=10797601&albumid=11699514

sonofhal
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I wonder who they had to blow to get on the lineup. They couldn't even sell out a 200 capacity venue in London, in spite of being on the New Moon soundtrack.

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Putting aside the fact that they did a song for the New Moon soundtrack, their album is REALLLYYY good, at least in my opinion.

and besides, Thom Yorke did a song as well :P

I'm stoked to see these guys, probably the first band I'll see on friday

TallGuyCM
02-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Whatever that song of theirs is that goes "death by diamonds and pearls" is ok. Although I liked their sound better when they were called the White Stripes.

sk8r408
02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Whatever that song of theirs is that goes "death by diamonds and pearls" is ok. Although I liked their sound better when they were called the White Stripes.

That song is called "Death by Diamonds and Pearls".

It's funny how many bands get compared to the White Stripes. Is it because that is the only garage rock band you know? I think Band of Skulls sound more like The Subways, but either way, it's some good Rock and Roll. Should be a fun show!

TallGuyCM
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I know several garage rock bands. I said what I said because the vocals and guitar sound like the White Stripes.

sk8r408
02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I know several garage rock bands. I said what I said because the vocals and guitar sound like the White Stripes.

Band of Skulls have a bass player, way different drumming, and female vocals.

Dede' Arneaux
02-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I wonder who they had to blow to get on the lineup. They couldn't even sell out a 200 capacity venue in London, in spite of being on the New Moon soundtrack.

There are a few bands playing Coachella this year that are playing King Tuts (300 capacity) this month, White Rabbits, Delphic, Band of Skulls, The Soft Pack - Coachella seems to give rising stars a chance :thu

TallGuyCM
02-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Band of Skulls have a bass player, way different drumming, and female vocals.

I didn't say they're exactly alike smart guy. I said that based on the one song I heard, they sound like that. And they do. No further dissection of the band needed.

sk8r408
02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I liked their sound better when they were called the White Stripes.

I didn't say they're exactly alike smart guy.

Really?

TallGuyCM
02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Really?

Nothing I said at first has anything to do with what you said about the drumming style and bassplayer or whatever. I stand by my original statement.

sk8r408
02-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Nothing I said at first has anything to do with what you said about the drumming style and bassplayer or whatever. I stand by my original statement.

It's all good. Anyway, do you think you're gonna check them out?

TallGuyCM
02-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Maybe. Depends on who else is on and if I'm up that early.

sk8r408
01-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Stoked to see these guys back on the lineup! Good live show.

Dede' Arneaux
02-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Saw them tonight in Glasgow

They looked great; the guitarist more & more like a young David Gilmour and the Bass Player more and more like Joey Ramone.
They sounded great; Floyd crossed with The Ramones? - Perhaps.
A minor gripe was that they didn't seem as confident playing the new material. Under rehearsed? Regardless, it didn't spoil a great gig.

Top songs: You Aint Pretty, Hollywood Bowl, Fires, Impossible & I Know What I am ... Oh aye, also Blood, Bruises and Death By Diamonds & Pearls ... er and The Devil Takes Care Of His Own & Light of The Morning :rotfl

threeve
03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
I wasn't familiar with Band of Skulls before the lineup came out but, the more I listen to them, the more I like them. They have a pretty diverse range of song styles and speeds and I don't mind that they sound a little reminiscent of the White Stripes, Raconteurs, and even early Smashing Pumpkins on some songs. I'll be there barring a major conflict. I'm really liking "I Know What I Am," "Dull Gold Heart," "Fires," "The Devil Takes Care of His Own," "Light of the Morning," and "Sweet Sour."

JLit55
03-26-2012, 12:12 PM
One of my fav new bands. Just saw them last week they were incredible! Cant wait to see them again :pulse

joobear
03-26-2012, 12:16 PM
saw them at coachella 2010. i was really into their album and was totally diggin the show.
they seemed really shy and the crowd didnt have great energy, but hey, they sounded awesome.

JoeCthulhu
03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
I too saw them in 2010. Their set was great, and near the front of the crowd, where I was, there was great energy. I'm planning on seeing them again, and will try to be close to the stage too. Even have a Band of Skulls t-shirt I'm planning on wearing Sunday.

theecat
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Just wanted to bump this. I'm excited to catch Em for the first time!